Jump to content

Finding Refuge

   (8 reviews)

A refuge can be a place, or a person. Sometimes, it's both. Just like scars. We can carry them on the outside, or on the inside. Sometimes, it's both. Wiley Burch is a cowboy on the run. He never bargained for being someone's target, but it appears his luck has run out... or has it?

This story takes place in the Old West.
Theme: Scars
Copyright © 2016 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Signature Author
  • 12/22/2016 (Updated: 12/22/2016)
  • 1 Chapters
  • 13,179 Words
  • 15,979 Views
  • 76 Comments
  • Teen
  • Complete

Story Recommendations (7 members)

  • Action Packed 6
  • Addictive/Pacing 5
  • Characters 7
  • Chills 2
  • Cliffhanger 2
  • Compelling 3
  • Feel-Good 3
  • Humor 1
  • Smoldering 6
  • Tearjerker 2
  • Unique 4
  • World Building 5

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 13,179 Words
    • 7,339 Views
    • 71 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Timothy M.

· Edited by Timothy M.

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Whether or not you like cowboy stories, I’m willing to bet you’ll enjoy this tale about two men in the Old West who’re in dire need of refuge. One is being hunted and has lost his best friend to the evil men following him. He and his trusted horse are on their last legs, thirsty and tired, when the story begins.

In true Headstall style, the heroes are decent, honest, gorgeous guys, who long for that one special person in their lives. Someone to trust, to love, and to share the dream of a home and a life filled with hard work, laughter and special intimate moments.

This review is a shorter version of a blog review.

Response from the author:

Thanks, Timothy. As you know, this is one of my very favorite stories I have written. Any interest it get makes me happy, and I suspect, no matter how many stories I write, Cooper and Wiley will remain favorite characters to me. Maybe someday we will see them again. This review and your blog review are much appreciated. Cheers!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
Albert1434

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

I just loved this story. I have read it twice and it's great each time. I find myself wanting more:yes::thankyou:

  • Like 3
  • Love 3
Link to review
Guest034229

· Edited by Bard Simpson

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

With so many things seeking his demise, in the old wild west, 25 year old Wiley Burch finds refuge in the most unexpected of places. Why is he being chased and what, if anything, can his young rescuer possibly do, to help him.

The author introduces us to a number of endearing young pioneers that hold the answers to many of these questions and there's quite a few undesirables out there too.

A lot more happens than you have a right to expect for such a short story and there's an intriguing twist or two to be discovered.

Its a great read. The fact that it was one of the author's self-professed personal favourites was enough of a draw for me.

Response from the author:

Thanks, Bard, for this wonderful review! As you know, this one holds a special place in my heart, and if the stars align, one I hope to expand on. Wiley and Cooper thank you too. :) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to review
vonfoto

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Lovely, heartwarming story.

Thank you!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
Caz Pedroso

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

An intriguing tale with twists that keep the reader interested all the way through.

 

There are a couple of characters I wanted to ensure saw the errors of their ways (as painfully as possible) but otherwise, the MCs were adorably sweet in their own ways. 

 

A wonderful short story.

  • Like 3
  • Love 3
Link to review
Mancunian

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

A well crafted short story that is complete but leaves you wanting more. @Headstall is a skilled author worth following, read and enjoy I recommend it.

Response from the author:

Oh, this is a delightful surprise! Thanks, Mancunian, for reading and reviewing one of my favorites. I am always happy when someone new finds this one, and your excellent review should help with that. Cheers! 

  • Love 3
Link to review
raven1

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

I do love a good Western and have since Saturday Matinees at the local theater.  However, you don't have to love Westerns in order to love this story.  Survival and romance are also themes of this story. Comments by readers who don't follow Westerns speak of their love for this story. Their desire for more, adequately demonstrates how well written this romantic story truly is.

Wiley is on the run when attacked and badly injured by a mountain lion.  Coop is his rescuer with secrets of his own.   You will fall in love with both these empathic and engaging characters.  The setting and dialogues immerse you in the old west culture that feels real and alive.  A great story like this is a must read whether or not you like Westerns.  If you do like it, then there is even better news.  Headstall aka Gary has many stories in many different genres.  All are just as great.  If this Western pleases you, you should also try Gary's two books in the Sidewinder series.

Response from the author:

Thank you for this kind review, Terry. "Finding Refuge" opened back up the world I used to live in as a child. Westerns, movies and TV shows, were my staple and after writing this I had enough confidence to write the "Sidewinder" books. Thank you for mentioning them, and I hope some day I will spin a new yarn about Cooper Sarasin and Wiley Burch. Cheers!

  • Love 2
Link to review
Gary L

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

A lovely, lovely tale.  You don’t have to be a cowboy to enjoy this feelgood story.  Beautifully written.  

Response from the author:

Thank you, Gary, for taking the time to read and review this story. I have a soft spot in my heart for this one. It was my first western, and spurred me to write Sidewinder, and now Larkspur: A Sidewinder Tale. I still think about continuing Cooper and Wiley's story someday. :)  Again, thank you for the kind words, and I hope they will encourage others to give Finding Refuge a read. Cheers!

  • Love 3
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..