Jump to content

Gone Fishing

   (9 reviews)
Sub-genres: Drama, General Romance

This is a story of life, dreams, and timing. Anthony's life has come full circle as he retreats to his small home town on a northern Ontario river. With shattered dreams behind him, he has no choice but to choose a path forward. Fortunately, his mom and dad, and even his dead grandmother, have his back.

Copyright © 2019 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (7 members)

  • Action Packed 3
  • Addictive/Pacing 4
  • Characters 6
  • Chills 1
  • Cliffhanger 1
  • Compelling 4
  • Feel-Good 3
  • Humor 3
  • Smoldering 4
  • Tearjerker 2
  • Unique 4
  • World Building 2

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Bdamdifino

  

I've always believed everything happens for a reason. This tale solidifies that. My 1st boyfriend and I were together for 8 yrs, and like this story, he was a city boy & I'm a country boy. We grew apart, we were young. At 1st it was rough, but 25 yrs later we are friends. We don't regret our past, we were just meant to share part of our lives together while bigger things were building 

Is Andrew the villain or is he the savior by recognizing his truth?  That is left to interpretation. However, in this thought provoking story, Gary has once again shown his ability to capture love, loss, and rebirth. Well done & a must read 👏 

Response from the author:

Sometimes we have to make choices we never expected too, and sometimes it is no ones fault when a relationship ends. Thank you for sharing your story, my friend. I appreciate you saying this is a must read. I've heard this before, and have had readers tell me this is a story they go to again and again. I love "Gone Fishing"... there is magic in it, and sometimes we need that help. :)  Thanks for the wonderful review for this favored story of mine. Cheers!

  • Love 1
Link to review
Mancunian

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

This is my second reading of this story and I'm thinking I need to slap myself silly for not reviewing it the first time. But then, maybe I needed the second read to truly appreciate the story. This story of a first love getting a second chance is a great uplifting read. Maybe that says it all about this story, a second helping confirms the truth. I recommend this as a great read, I'm glad I came to read it and I'm sure I will again, and again. I happily give it five stars as it deserves nothing less.

Response from the author:

Writing anthology stories is unique. Sometimes you have to condense an idea, and you don't always know if that will work. It apparently did for this one... and I love this story. Thanks for rereading it and finding the magic I feel it has. Second chances are things I think many of of wish for, but to get them is rare. This is a short journey, but I believe the destination is worth the trip. Thanks for recommending it to others, my friend. Cheers!

  • Love 2
Link to review
Doha

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Gone Fishing is a story about love lost and love regained. ❤ 

Anthony has to go through an awful divorce and return to his hometown to regroup and rediscover love. 

A super read that will have you smiling like a Cheshire cat. 

Response from the author:

Thank you, Doha! This is one of my favorites, and it makes me happy when it gets new attention. It is a story to curl up with, maybe with a glass of wine. Much appreciated. Cheers!

  • Love 3
Link to review
raven1

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Anthony loses his love, because much like misaligned stars, misaligned goals are a weak lines to hold a relationship together.  Anthony returns home to the country and goes fishing.  He loses a silver fish, but nets a golden catch. This is a wonderfully written romance of a second chance for first love.  You can't help but feel alive and wonderful after reading this story.  A must read for all romantics in the world.

Response from the author:

Thanks, Terry! I am all about romance. It makes the world go round, and there can be treasures beyond tragedy... or things that seem like tragedy at the time. Readers take note of this wonderful review, and please give this story a shot. I promise it will warm your heart if you have one. :)  Cheers!

  • Love 3
Link to review
Albert1434

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

I have read lots of Gary's story's but this story has lots of Gary magic for which I am thankful!

And if you like love you will surely find it here. And fish lol. I think this, that there is lots of love on this river.  Not to mention ghost's!

Response from the author:

Thank you, Albert. Yes, there is love, and fish, and maybe even a ghost on this river. This is one of my best short stories, I think, and I always appreciate when you find magic in any of my writing. I hope this review brings new readers... there is a lot to feel good about in  this one. Cheers! :hug: 

  • Love 4
Link to review
Job

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

A wonderful story about a breaking up marriage, going back to childhood place and finding an old and renewed love.

Definitely 5 stars. I love this story. Thank you, Gary for sharing it with us.

Response from the author:

Thank you, Job, for your kind words. I am so pleased with how this story was received. :) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Link to review
Timothy M.

· Edited by Timothy M.

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

Modern life sometimes seems to be all about realizing who you are and following your dreams. Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes you can be so focused on those far-away, greener pastures, you forget to appreciate what you have, and you're blind to the wishes of those who care about you. On the other hand, sometimes your love for someone will make you suppress your own wants and needs in order to make them happy. It may work for a while, but the mental price can be high, and maybe one day you snap and escape, leaving behind hurt and bewildered people.

The main protagonist of this story has his life up-ended due to the issues described above and has to  reevaluate his life and his dreams. The outcome is not what he expected, and he learns to view the people closest to him, himself and his past in a slightly different light.

This may sound very philosophical and maybe even boring, but the story isn't the least bit dull. It has a great blend of drama, heartbreak, romance, nature, fun, home comfort, and family love, spiced up with a touch of magic. It's only later, as the story simmers in the back of your mind, that you start considering all the unspoken lessons to learn. In other words, another wonderful tale from Gary. :wub:   I heartily recommend it.

Response from the author:

What a wonderful review. I believe Timothy sums up the heart of this story beautifully. He gets that there are no bad guys here. We can be guilty of forging ahead, and, as Tim says, forgetting what was once important. Sometimes, when the cracks appear, something has to give, and that's where this story begins. Thank you, Timothy, for taking the time to delve deep into this story, and for leaving such an encouraging review. Cheers... Gary.... 

  • Love 6
Link to review
JeffreyL

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

I wanted to give this wonderful story five stars, so I did! If you want a good review, read Daddydavek's review. He was spot on, and I couldn't think of anything to add.

Response from the author:

Thanks so much, Jeffrey. I'm so pleased my characters and their story have had an impact. Reviews are a special gift to me, and I don't take them lightly. This one is wonderful.  Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 6
Link to review
Daddydavek

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

Life is a journey spent pursuing our dreams and finding love.  It takes patience, perseverance and practice.  A lot like fishing...there are highs and lows and especially the thrill of landing one.  In this story, there is a painful separation and going back home to regroup and fate intervenes with a surprising happy ending.  

It is another wonderful story from Headstall, so thanks to Gary!   Read and enjoy!

Response from the author:

You're right, Dave. Life (and love) is a lot like fishing, and there are some catches that you just have to throw back in. :) Thank you so much for supporting this story, and for the wonderful review. Cheers... Gary....

  • Love 7
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..