Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    Headstall
  • Author
  • 3,219 Words
  • 7,617 Views
  • 46 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.

Morningstar: The Malaise - 29. Chapter 29 Not Such A Bad Thing

The whole truth....

Morningstar: The Malaise

 

 

Chapter 29

 

 

“Do you mind if we join you two handsome men?”

“Duh. Of course not. That’s why I waved you over,” Tobyn said with an amused head shake as he stood to pull a chair out.

“Someone’s in a good mood,” Tilly said, sitting down beside him.

“We both are,” Kellar said. “Are you lovely ladies going to have breakfast with us? Ours are on the way.” He sat back down after helping Adelin get seated.

“No. We were in earlier and had mushroom omelettes. I don’t know what she does that’s different, but Joanne makes the best ones,” Tilly answered. “So what happened to you guys last night? We thought you wanted to talk to us about something?”

Tobyn retook his seat after Tilly was settled, and Kellar watched the flush creep up his neck, trying not to smirk at his sudden discomfort.

“Yeah, sorry about that. We fell asleep.” He winked at Tobyn, who busied himself with his napkin and silverware.

“Didn’t you hear us knock? We came by twice.” Adelin was looking directly at the blond man sitting across the table, and Kellar couldn’t help grinning at his now very evident full-blown blush.

Tobyn shot his mate a glare. “Yeah, we weren’t home. We went for a run.”

Tilly looked from her sister to Kellar, and then to Tobyn. “I’m confused. I thought you said you fell asleep?”

“We did. I uh… took Kellar up to Eagle’s Nest Bluff, and we ended up drifting off for a while.”

“Oh. Ohhhh,” Tilly said with a slow-developing giggle. “Oh my. I haven’t been up there in years. That place is so romantic, don’t you think, Kellar?”

Kellar responded to her obvious mirth and the twinkle in her eyes. “Uh huh. Very romantic. It’s a nice place to relax after a long run. Right, Tobyn?”

The mumbled response was met with more giggles, this time from both girls. “Okay, okay. So we fell asleep at Eagle’s Nest. Can we change the subject now? And could you please stop grinning,” he directed at Kellar with a scowl.

“Don’t worry about him. He always gets this way when he’s embarrassed.” Tilly stuck her tongue out at her long-time friend.

“I’m not embarrassed! I just don’t….”

“Okay. Changing the subject now. Stop frowning before your face freezes like that, Tobe. So what did you want to talk to us about? We already know what Tobyn doesn’t want to talk about.” Her renewed giggle had Adelin joining her.

“Tilly.”

“Yes, Tobyn?”

“You’re being a pain in the ass, and it’s not funny. Could you behave, please?”

“Okay, pumpkin. I’ll try. So, gentlemen, are you going to tell us what you wanted to discuss, or not?”

“Pumpkin?” Kellar reached over and grabbed Tobyn’s hand, getting a hint of a smile to go with an eye roll, in response. “Actually, it was Adelin we wanted to talk to. I don’t know if we should talk here, though?”

“Why me, and why can’t we talk here? The dining room is empty.”

Kellar half turned in his seat after Tobyn shrugged. “Okay, well the thing is, Adelin… ah… I guess there’s only one way to say this. I know who your earth mate is.” He wasn’t prepared for the sudden squeal from the girl, nor the one that followed from her sister.

“Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God! You’re not kidding me, are you? Who is he? Who’s my mate?”

Kellar looked across the table at Tobyn and got another shrug.

“Don’t look at me. This is your show, doc.”

“Kellar, answer the question. Why are you stalling? Is something wrong with him? Why are you looking like that?” She was now gripping his arm with surprising strength.

“I’m not stalling. Which question?”

“Kellar!”

“Okay, okay.” Kellar held up his hands, but she still kept her nails dug into him. “Can you calm down and let go of me?”

Adelin’s response was a glare and more pressure.

“All right then. Never mind. It’s just… well, he’s not what you might expect, so anyway, yeah, Adelin, he’s my brother; his name is Warren, and….”

The next squeal was even louder. “Your brother? Oh, please tell me he looks like you.”

Tobyn exploded with laughter just as Tilly interrupted. “But I thought you told me Kellar had no family? Isn’t that what you said?”

“Yes, I did,” Tobyn said through his laughter. “Sorry, Adelin, but there’s only one of my mate. Warren happens to be Kellar’s foster-brother.”

“Foster-brother?” The girl looked confused. “I don’t understand. How can…?”

“See, that’s the thing. He’s human, Adelin. He’s not a shifter.” Kellar was hesitant to continue. He watched her turn her head from him to her sister; her expression was impossible to decipher.

You could have easily heard a pin drop. She opened her mouth to speak, and then closed it.

“Adelin?” Tobyn queried with sudden concern. “Are you all right?”

“Uh huh… yes, I’m fine. So my mate’s human. Okay. I thought they weren’t supposed to know about us, though? Does he know about me, Kellar?”

“No, he doesn’t, not yet, and it’s true they shouldn’t be aware of us, but Warren was there the first time I shifted. He, ah… he found out the hard way that we do exist, after he slammed me in the back with the bathroom door and pissed me off. I guess it was a pretty scary thing for him to see, but he does know about shifters… well, only that we exist. He says he’s not afraid of us anymore.”

“Adelin? Are you sure you’re okay?” Tobyn asked again, after giving Kellar a frown that was questioning. “You don’t look too happy.”

“What? Oh yeah… I’m sure, and I am happy. I never considered my mate wouldn’t be a shifter so it was a surprise, but I don’t care about that. So, he has the same color pattern as me?” She turned back to Kellar.

“Identical, except for the burnt umber that only shifters have. I saw it when I met you, but I didn’t know what matching patterns meant at the time. I’d only seen mine and Tobyn’s at that point, so when I saw you matched my human brother’s, I figured it must be a more common occurrence than I’d initially suspected.”

“But… you would have known after Elinor met Denver, right? What it meant? You said they proved to you mates had matching patterns,” she said with an accusation in her voice. “Why didn’t you tell me then, and where is he? Is he okay?”

Kellar groaned. “Yes, he is. He’s fine, and I’m sorry, Adelin. I know I should have told you, but I really had to talk to him first. As far as where he is… he was in New Brunswick when I got hold of him.” Kellar rubbed his face, dreading the rest of the conversation.

“Was? What the heck do you mean, was?” Adelin’s eyes were blazing, and Kellar couldn’t tell if she was angry or excited.

“Ah, yeah, he’s on his way here now, by train. He’s going to get here… no, not here, Cochrane… so four, maybe five hours away… I’ve never driven there before… in the morning, the day after tomorrow, but….”

“The day after tomorrow? Oh that’s wonderful news.” She lightened her grasp on his arm and Kellar sighed in relief. Surprising strength in such a little package. “So I’m going to go meet him? I can’t wait. What’s he look like? Is he tall like you, at least?”

Tobyn chuckled again, and Tilly, after her initial shrill outburst at the news, finally smiled.

“He’s tall, but not like me. He’s about six feet or so, and he’s got lighter hair than I do, but it isn’t blond. But Adelin….”

“What color are his eyes? Does he have a nice body… ah, face, I mean?”

This time Tobyn snorted, and Tilly snickered while Adelin had perfectly round pink circles appear on her cheeks.

“Adelin, you need to let me finish what I have to say. His eyes are darker blue than mine, and his face is okay, I suppose. It used to be… I mean, it seemed like he was popular with girls in high school. Now don’t ask me anything else for a minute, okay? And could you maybe let go of me?”

“Oh, I love blue eyes. How much darker? Sorry. I’ll let you talk now,” she promised with a huge grin spreading across her face. Finally, she let him have his arm back.

“Thank you.” Kellar reached over and squeezed his mate’s hand again, and got an encouraging one in return. “All right, so you need to know this.” Kellar saw he had all her attention despite the barely-contained exuberance she was exhibiting.

“He’s had it tough for the last three years. Seeing me shift freaked him out big time. He was doing drugs before that, but I found out he got into them a lot heavier after I left. I took off from my foster family the same day I met my wolf, and never spoke to them again until yesterday. Warren’s just getting out of rehab for the second time in three years. What that’s going to mean, I don’t know, but physically he could be a wreck. His parents, Karen and Don, are pretty cold people, or at least they can be—their church is more important than their son. Anyway, they’ve disowned him, so he has nowhere else to go. I offered him a new start here if he passes my brother interview.” He watched Adelin raise her eyebrows at that. “So when I meet him, I’m going to feel him out, and if I think I can trust him, I’ll tell him about Morningstar… and you.”

“If?! What is that supposed to mean?” Adelin’s eyes showed definite fire again as she reclaimed his arm, nails digging back into the same spots. “Of course you’re going to tell him about me, and as far as interviews, I’ll be doing my own. Don’t even think about deciding anything for me, Kellar. I won’t have it; not from you or anyone else. I know I can never repay you for what you’ve given me, but he is my mate.”

Kellar’s jaw dropped. Where did the sweet young girl disappear to? A ‘tsk tsk’ from Tilly got his attention.

“Really, Kellar? You men are all the same. Us poor little she-wolves need to be protected from everything. As if. Trust me. My sister might be tiny, but she’s tough as nails. She’s already able to shift and hold it for an hour in the evening. She might still be recovering, but she’s more than capable of handling one human man.”

“I’m sorry. Adelin, I was just….”

“I know what you’re trying to do, and I get it, so I’ll go along with you to a point,” Adelin warned as she lightened her hold on his forearm. “It’s awful what has happened to him, and I know you’re worried about me because of his history with drugs, but you don’t need to be.” She looked thoughtful as she stared at him. “I’ll tell you what. You can have your ‘brother’ thing first, but I’m going to talk to him too, and understand this, Kellar. I’ll be the one deciding if I want him at Morningstar... fair enough?”

“Fair enough.”

“And whatever I decide, you all have to mind your own business.” She looked around the quiet table, getting nods before refocusing on Kellar.

“Ah, yeah. You’re absolutely right. It should be your decision. But, just don’t expect too much from Warren Apsley. To be honest, I hated the bastard when I lived with him. He was a pr… he was a real jerk, and he made my life a living hell.”

“If he was that bad, why did you offer him this chance, then?” Did he sense a defensive tone in her voice?

“I did it for you, and for the pack.”

Tobyn cleared his throat, catching Kellar’s eye. “That’s not the whole truth, is it, mountain man?”

It was Kellar’s turn to glare, but it softened immediately. “No, I guess not. The fact is I felt sorry for the guy. He sounded genuine when we talked, and his parents are being pious dicks to him, so I offered to give him this new start. I want to help my foster-brother. Satisfied?”

“Yup. There’s my lovable, big-hearted mate.” Tobyn smirked, and Kellar couldn’t help but melt further.

 

The girls left to go reorganize some commitments and pack for the upcoming road trip, leaving Kellar and Tobyn to their breakfasts. They were practically bouncing as they walked out. Kellar couldn’t help wondering what they needed to pack for a one day trip.

“Well that went well, doc. Adelin couldn’t have cared less that Warren is human after she got over the shock of it… and the drug issue didn’t seem to faze her either. I was a little worried how Tilly would react to it all, but she seemed genuinely happy for her.”

“Yeah, that girl had some fire in her, didn’t she? I was surprised at how feisty she was, and strong,” he said as he rubbed at the marks on his arm. “But Tilly was right… I should have known better. I think it took Tilly a few minutes to get used to the idea Warren is human, but yeah, she did seem happy for her sister.” Kellar returned to eating his breakfast, and Tobyn did the same. All was quiet for a few hunger-driven minutes.

“Do you blame yourself for what happened to Warren?”

Kellar looked up from his plate. “Where did that come from? It’s not my fault he’s a drug addict.”

“Uh huh. Reformed drug addict.”

“Hope so,” Kellar mumbled as he shoveled in more scrambled eggs.

“You know this mate thing works really well. So well that I can tell when you’re full of shit.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You do blame yourself. I could hear it in your voice when you were talking with Adelin, and I heard it at the diner on the highway, but I wasn’t sure what it was. I am now. Are you lying to yourself or just to me?”

Kellar stopped eating altogether and put down his fork. He didn’t try to prevent the pained expression he suddenly wore. “The first thing Warren asked of me on the phone was to tell him he wasn’t crazy… that it really happened. He said all these therapists and doctors were saying he was… I don’t know… delusional, I guess. My shifting really fucked him up, Tobyn. For three years. He was just a pothead up until then, although Karen said they found some coke in his room too.”

“And that’s your fault?”

“When the change first happened, I put gouges in his leg with my claws and I came close to doing more. I felt so much fucking rage,” Kellar admitted before hanging his head. “Later, I scared him so bad, he peed himself. I did it on purpose, and threatened if he ever told anyone, I’d come after him.” He kept his eyes focused on the table top.

“For Pete’s sake, Kellar, give yourself a break. You were sixteen, and going through your first shift without any guidance whatsoever. You’ve already said he made your life a living hell, and that he’d just hit you with a door. He was an ‘asshole extraordinaire’ as you said before, am I right?

Kellar looked up at Tobyn and nodded.

“So he’s lucky you didn’t kill him. Your self-control had to have been amazing. Fuck, man, it’s a tough enough time when we know what’s happening, and you were completely in the dark.”

“I didn’t need to be so mean to him. I lifted him up by the neck, Tobyn. That was hours after I changed. I let him think I would kill him, so it’s no wonder he got messed up like he did.”

Tobyn grabbed both of Kellar’s hands in a firm clasp, ignoring the almost empty juice glass he knocked over. “Listen to me. You did nothing wrong. Do you not understand how strong a wolf’s survival instincts are when he first comes out? Most of us feel that rage at the beginning, before we get our bearings. You did what you had to do. You knew you couldn’t trust Warren so you warned him. And it turns out you were right. If he’d been a good brother would you have still threatened him?”

“No. No way.” Kellar considered his answer and knew he’d answered truthfully. It gave his guilt some absolution. “So, everyone feels that rage?”

“Yeah, pretty much, and for some it’s a real struggle to keep in check; that’s why no one should be alone or unprepared for the first shift. It’s like the wolf is slamming all his instincts into our brain at once, and self-preservation is the strongest. It takes a while for us to feel safe, and the fact you were angry at Warren and didn’t full-out attack him blows my mind.

“I don’t understand how you got through that by yourself, but I’m proud of you. You always say a healer is who you are, and maybe that played a part in your ability to take charge of your wolf so quickly. Anyway, Warren had to make his own way in the world just like you did, but the difference is you did it alone. He had a family, ideal or not. If he fucked it up, that’s on him, not you. I’m glad you want to help him, but please don’t do it out of guilt. If he gets that idea, he may try to take advantage, and if that happens he’ll have me to deal with. I don’t want to have to come between you and your brother but I will if he screws with you.”

“Message received. I was feeling guilty, but I don’t anymore. I guess there really was no other way to deal with him at the time. I was so frightened of the rage I felt, and I worried for a long time I would feel it again, but I never have. It’s nice to know it happens to the majority of us at the beginning. I don’t feel so bad about it now. Thank you, Tobyn. I know you’re always looking out for me… it’s something I haven’t had before.”

“You’re welcome. Anytime.”

“I’m never going to be able to hide anything from you, am I?”

“Nope, but it’s a two way street, mountain man. I’m an open book too, and if I have to get used to it, so do you. I seem to remember you commenting last night on how predictable I was.”

“I only meant….”

“I know what you meant. You understand me in a way even I don’t, and it’s the same for me with you. I don’t think that’s such a bad thing,” Tobyn said, his loving look holding Kellar captive.

“Yeah, I don’t either. The fringe benefits make it all worth it.”

“You’ll get no argument from me, my mate”

Thank You to my awesome Editor, Timothy M., and to all those who read and support this story.

Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 69
  • Love 26
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.

Story Discussion Topic

Open Club · 93 members · Last active

A fan club for Headstall to chat about his stories as well as home to CoTT House of Cards Chat Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Gary,
I've figured you out I think....
You like to give us just enough so that we not only want but HAVE to come back for more. You string us along and tease us week after week....and you know what? We fracking love it. I guess we're all masochists in that way....hehehe. Great interlude chapter....now let's go get Warren and oh yeah....doesn't Kellar need to let the two guys that Tobyn was playing soccer with something about being mates or something.....Keep up the great work....See you next week.
Jay

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Okay G-Man, looks like we're moving closer to the meeting with Warren. :) Maybe it'll come before Thanksgiving?
I had to laugh at Adelin's actions on derailing Kellar's plan, and she was right to let him know that whether they became mates was her decision alone. I didn't think she had such determination, but then, she's a wolf too. Go get 'em Addy!
The bond between K and T grows deeper--it's going to be amazing when their joining is complete.
Too bad you can't make the intervals between chapters shorter...sigh. :)
xoxoxo my dearest friend.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Nice chapter. Adelin's definitely a strong one, and called the guys on their bullshit exactly as she should. :-)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

First of all, I LOVE fiesty Adelin! That girl really knows her own mind and isn't the delicate flower that needs protecting like Keller thought. I know K was doing what he thought was right, especially with Warren's history, but I also completely underestand Adelin's position. She was to be able to make her own decisions (good or bad) when it comes to her mate. I really hope that Warren proves himself worthy of such a good soul. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Tilly. She deserves someone too.

 

Speaking of Tilly, i loved the banter between her and Tobyn. It's wonderful to see the friendship that obviously means so much to both of them. It'll also be fun for K to have an ally when he needs to get Tobyn to loosen up and not take himself so seriously.

 

Finally... Kellar's guilt. I get why he felt guilty. He's got such a big heart that deliberately hurting or scaring someone wouldn't sit right with him. Tobyn is right though... k did what he had to, and if the first change is as difficult as it sounds then Warren actually got off pretty easy.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Lol! LOVED CG's comment ... before Thanksgiving! Made me laugh. OK, good chapter. I figured K would be in trouble when he tried to be 'if Warren passes my interview'. Never try that stuff with women, they'll have you for breakfast! ANOTHER reason I'm happily gay! I too am looking forward to the meeting .... November what is Thanksgiving? GREAT stuff Gary, Carry on!

 

tim xoxo

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Adelin is one tough young woman... the long term future of the pack would seem to be in good hands.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Being earth mates make Kellar and Tobyn understand each other so much better, they become each other's best friend, provide emotional support for one and other ... awesome (for lack of a better word).

 

Then Adelin has recovered and has come a long way to assert herself, I agree, so feisty ! The community is going from strength to strength ... hurrah !

 

Thank you for this great tale Gary, xoxo !

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Great reading, this chapter! Loved Adelin's response to Kellar's almost fumbling, nearly gallant explanations. Yeah, if she gets her earth mate, then look out! The energy released could probably power Toronto for the winter. Kellar and Tobyn interact in ways that make us feel we know and love them as characters more deeply with each passing chapter. In short, you have developed a story we anticipate all the time. Speaking of which, isn't the next chapter due about now? Please?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/01/2016 09:02 AM, JayT said:

Gary,

I've figured you out I think....

You like to give us just enough so that we not only want but HAVE to come back for more. You string us along and tease us week after week....and you know what? We fracking love it. I guess we're all masochists in that way....hehehe. Great interlude chapter....now let's go get Warren and oh yeah....doesn't Kellar need to let the two guys that Tobyn was playing soccer with something about being mates or something.....Keep up the great work....See you next week.

Jay

LOL... I'm really just writing a novel, Jay... honestly :) . I don't like stringing people along, believe it or not hehe. You know I can only go with the pacing that feels right. I'm really pleased you liked this interlude chapter, and yeah, Warren is next. As far as Dane and Mace, there is no reason to tell them they are fated... but if one of them wants to ask questions... well... that would be different. Thanks for your loyalty, my friend. I can't tell you how much that means to me... next week it is... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/01/2016 09:30 AM, dughlas said:

I think Warren is a very lucky person ...

Nice chapter.

I know, right? Adelin is showing allegiance already... and a tough streak. Warren would be lucky to have her as a mate... and I think Kellar learned a lesson :) > Thanks, buddy, for your support... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/01/2016 09:32 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Okay G-Man, looks like we're moving closer to the meeting with Warren. :) Maybe it'll come before Thanksgiving?

I had to laugh at Adelin's actions on derailing Kellar's plan, and she was right to let him know that whether they became mates was her decision alone. I didn't think she had such determination, but then, she's a wolf too. Go get 'em Addy!

The bond between K and T grows deeper--it's going to be amazing when their joining is complete.

Too bad you can't make the intervals between chapters shorter...sigh. :)

xoxoxo my dearest friend.

LOL!!! That's funny, my friend. Hilarious. I was so pleased that we get to see an Adelin who is vibrant and healthy... and determined. She was fun to write here. And yeah, I'm glad you appreciate how close Kellar and Tobyn have become. Next Monday isn't that far away, CG :) . Thank you for your wonderful support, buddy... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/01/2016 11:19 AM, Kitt said:

(-:

Thanks, Sis... so appreciated. We get to meet Warren again next week. :) . Thanks for the support... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/01/2016 01:26 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Nice chapter. Adelin's definitely a strong one, and called the guys on their bullshit exactly as she should. :-)

Thanks, lux. She is strong... stronger than Kellar realized. These two men have a lot to learn about women, that's for sure. I appreciate the support, buddy... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 11/01/2016 01:38 PM, LitLover said:

First of all, I LOVE fiesty Adelin! That girl really knows her own mind and isn't the delicate flower that needs protecting like Keller thought. I know K was doing what he thought was right, especially with Warren's history, but I also completely underestand Adelin's position. She was to be able to make her own decisions (good or bad) when it comes to her mate. I really hope that Warren proves himself worthy of such a good soul. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Tilly. She deserves someone too.

 

Speaking of Tilly, i loved the banter between her and Tobyn. It's wonderful to see the friendship that obviously means so much to both of them. It'll also be fun for K to have an ally when he needs to get Tobyn to loosen up and not take himself so seriously.

 

Finally... Kellar's guilt. I get why he felt guilty. He's got such a big heart that deliberately hurting or scaring someone wouldn't sit right with him. Tobyn is right though... k did what he had to, and if the first change is as difficult as it sounds then Warren actually got off pretty easy.

Me too! She is no longer that sickly girl with no future. I loved writing her spunk. Kellar deserved those fingernail marks on his arm. He's a good soul, but this was a lesson he had to learn. I agree about Tilly, but another set of mates would help HER too, and I think she loves seeing her sister so excited. Hopefully warren isn't a letdown. I'm glad you brought up the banter between her and Tobyn, and that she included K in the fun. I think that means a lot to Kellar. Yeah to the guilt part. That phone call had an effect on Kellar... I think it's kind of haunted him to realize just how badly Warren was affected. Thankfully, his mate set him straight. It was another way to show just how special K is in that he didn't do worse. Thanks, my friend for your loyalty... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/01/2016 02:18 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Lol! LOVED CG's comment ... before Thanksgiving! Made me laugh. OK, good chapter. I figured K would be in trouble when he tried to be 'if Warren passes my interview'. Never try that stuff with women, they'll have you for breakfast! ANOTHER reason I'm happily gay! I too am looking forward to the meeting .... November what is Thanksgiving? GREAT stuff Gary, Carry on!

 

tim xoxo

Yeah, CG caught me off guard with that... he is an incredibly witty guy :) . You are so right about women! I NEVER underestimate a woman... ever. Thanks for the great review, buddy. I truly appreciate it. Yeah, Warren is coming up... and I will carry on... cheers, my friend... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/02/2016 12:18 AM, Bucket1 said:

Adelin is one tough young woman... the long term future of the pack would seem to be in good hands.

Excellent point, B. If her and Tilly are any indication, the future is looking better all the time. I truly enjoyed showing the real Adelin in this chapter. Road trip coming up :) . Thanks for your support, buddy... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/02/2016 07:00 AM, hohochan657 said:

Being earth mates make Kellar and Tobyn understand each other so much better, they become each other's best friend, provide emotional support for one and other ... awesome (for lack of a better word).

 

Then Adelin has recovered and has come a long way to assert herself, I agree, so feisty ! The community is going from strength to strength ... hurrah !

 

Thank you for this great tale Gary, xoxo !

That is so true, hohochan. They really are best friends. That connection is truly special. I'm pleased you liked Adelin in this chapter. She has definitely recovered, and now has a life to look forward to. Let's hope Warren is suitable as her mate. Thanks for the awesome review, buddy... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/02/2016 08:25 AM, Parker Owens said:

Great reading, this chapter! Loved Adelin's response to Kellar's almost fumbling, nearly gallant explanations. Yeah, if she gets her earth mate, then look out! The energy released could probably power Toronto for the winter. Kellar and Tobyn interact in ways that make us feel we know and love them as characters more deeply with each passing chapter. In short, you have developed a story we anticipate all the time. Speaking of which, isn't the next chapter due about now? Please?

LOL. Thanks, Parker! I'm glad you liked this Adelin. Kellar tried, but he still has stuff to learn... he saw Adelin as this sweet little thing and BAM! He saw she doesn't need protection at all. I appreciate the kind words about this story... it is a labor of love for me... I am in love with Kellar and Tobyn as a couple... next chapter, next Monday :) . Thanks for the support, my friend... it means a lot... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I think we should join tim in a campaign for longerer chapters. This felt short.. But I loved it..
Kudos to Adelin. She is not down by any means.. I don't think Kellar could have said anything to deter her, especially the way he put it. I guess he had to try knowing Warren the way he did, but his approach needed work. And anyway, maybe meeting the person he's supposed to be with will be good for the guy. We know now, Adelin won't put up with much crap.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/03/2016 09:23 PM, Defiance19 said:

I think we should join tim in a campaign for longerer chapters. This felt short.. But I loved it..

Kudos to Adelin. She is not down by any means.. I don't think Kellar could have said anything to deter her, especially the way he put it. I guess he had to try knowing Warren the way he did, but his approach needed work. And anyway, maybe meeting the person he's supposed to be with will be good for the guy. We know now, Adelin won't put up with much crap.

Hey, Def. Ask and you shall recieve. The next one is longer :) . LOL. Yeah, Kellar's approach needed work for sure, but he learned a valuable lesson about not just people, but women. Adelin is no shrinking violet, and I guess we can't blame Kellar for still seeing her as his convalescing patient... but, he's been set straight. I think you're right. Tobyn and Kellar complement each other in so many ways, and it's really only beginning. Thanks for your review and support, my friend... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Quite a few truths revealed in this chapter and as you say that's not such a bad thing.
We all chuckled as Tilly tried to find out the truth about why Kellar and Tobyn weren't at home. Their banter revealed how good friends they are, and I bet Tobyn had a hard time hiding the truth from her too.
Another big truth revealed was of course the existence of Adelin's mate, including who and what he was. I don't blame Kellar for his stumbling, the reactions of both girls had me :pinch: and wanting to tell Adelin to calm down and shut up. :rolleyes: Give the poor guy a chance to explain instead of mauling him and peltering him with silly questions. Jeez.
I think it was unfair to accuse Kellar of being overprotective and underestimating Adelin. He would have acted the same way if it had been his foster-sister who was the mate of a male shifter. He has good reasons to be worried about Warren as a potential danger to the pack, and he still needs to deal with his personal dislike - and his guilt, as Tobyn reveals later. Add to that, the fact Warren is human, something which the girls also had to get used to, and maybe not in the best shape physically, and I think the girls should have cut Kellar some slack - especially when they should be able to see how uncomfortable he feels during his explanation. When they stop acting like giddy chicks and act rationally, they can demand respect.
The final and probably most important truth was the light Tobyn shed on the rage Kellar felt during his first shift. Suddenly, he learns that rather than being out of control and unreasonably cruel, he was actually showing great restrain when he didn't kill Warren. I think Tobyn was absolutely right about the healer influence, because I can recall how Kellar felt more disgusted at the idea of killing Warren than he was pissed off at him. We may at times sigh over Tobyn's need to think deeply on stuff, but in this case it's definitely not such a bad thing. :) He helped his mate gain insight and see the whole truth about that initial encounter which set this story off with an almighty bang !
My favorite quote of this chapter: “You know this mate thing works really well. So well that I can tell when you’re full of shit.” :rofl:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/12/2016 at 1:49 PM, Timothy M. said:

Quite a few truths revealed in this chapter and as you say that's not such a bad thing.

We all chuckled as Tilly tried to find out the truth about why Kellar and Tobyn weren't at home. Their banter revealed how good friends they are, and I bet Tobyn had a hard time hiding the truth from her too.

Another big truth revealed was of course the existence of Adelin's mate, including who and what he was. I don't blame Kellar for his stumbling, the reactions of both girls had me :pinch: and wanting to tell Adelin to calm down and shut up. :rolleyes: Give the poor guy a chance to explain instead of mauling him and peltering him with silly questions. Jeez.

I think it was unfair to accuse Kellar of being overprotective and underestimating Adelin. He would have acted the same way if it had been his foster-sister who was the mate of a male shifter. He has good reasons to be worried about Warren as a potential danger to the pack, and he still needs to deal with his personal dislike - and his guilt, as Tobyn reveals later. Add to that, the fact Warren is human, something which the girls also had to get used to, and maybe not in the best shape physically, and I think the girls should have cut Kellar some slack - especially when they should be able to see how uncomfortable he feels during his explanation. When they stop acting like giddy chicks and act rationally, they can demand respect.

The final and probably most important truth was the light Tobyn shed on the rage Kellar felt during his first shift. Suddenly, he learns that rather than being out of control and unreasonably cruel, he was actually showing great restrain when he didn't kill Warren. I think Tobyn was absolutely right about the healer influence, because I can recall how Kellar felt more disgusted at the idea of killing Warren than he was pissed off at him. We may at times sigh over Tobyn's need to think deeply on stuff, but in this case it's definitely not such a bad thing. :) He helped his mate gain insight and see the whole truth about that initial encounter which set this story off with an almighty bang !

My favorite quote of this chapter: “You know this mate thing works really well. So well that I can tell when you’re full of shit.” :rofl:

Hey, Tim. I think the girls appreciated Kellar's concern, but I learned a long time ago most women don't like men deciding things for them. Elinor did warn him hehe. And Adelin? Yeah, she was out of control, and she showed her young age, but this is a girl who never thought she see he next birthday, never mind her earth mate. There is nothing bigger than that, so we maybe should try to forgive her frantic and somewhat annoying reaction :) . But yes, Kellar had good reason to be protective. The Warren he remembers is a colossal ass, but only he really knows the extent. Thanks for bringing up the first shift and the rage. Tobyn did a great thing by clarifying Kellar showed great restraint, and yes, I agree... it was because of his healer nature he didn't lose control. I'm very pleased you liked that line too. Thanks for a fantastic review, buddy... cheers... Gary....

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Some strong points made in this chapter about mates. The way they empathize with each other would seem to place a great deal of hope in the idea that Warren and Adelin will form a workable relationship. I recall how quickly (immediately) Toby's mom and Denver realized they were one soul in two bodies. Kellar and Toby knew pretty quickly, too, but Toby was slow to admit it to himself. I am frankly excited to see how the first meeting of Adelin and her mate turns out.
She's a little firebrand, too. No one is going to make up her mind for her, that's for sure. I just hope that Kellar doesn't decide it's a no-go while Adelin decides it is. It really is her choice, but it will be harder if Kellar feels it's wrong.
Great story, buddy. Are you sure you don't make a living at this in secret? :)
Somehow that seems unlikely. Barring unknown circumstances, Warren is going to feel the same strong urge to be with Adelin that every other mate-pair has thus far felt. That kind of bond will make him stepping off the path difficult - unless it is somehow different with humans.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..