Jump to content

Odes to Life, Love, Loss, and Loyalty

   (7 reviews)
Genres: Poetry
Sub-genres: Free-Verse

Our observations are made from many different perspectives. Sometime we are looking forward, sometimes we are looking back, and sometimes we are standing still. Life can be filled with many loves, and loss can take many forms. So can loyalty. 

Copyright © 2022 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (8 members)

  • Action Packed 0
  • Addictive/Pacing 0
  • Characters 1
  • Chills 2
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 8
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 4
  • Unique 3
  • World Building 3

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 416 Words
    • 7,701 Views
    • 38 Comments
  • 2. Chapter 2
    • 184 Words
    • 997 Views
    • 34 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

AC Benus

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Poetry is personal. Poetry is universal. Gary understand these truths and offers the attentive reader his best at all times. 

Read these!

Response from the author:

Thanks, AC. Poetry is indeed these things. While some of my poems are more about observations, the vast majority are deeply personal, and I am comfortable with the way I choose to be a poet. I appreciate the kind review. Cheers! 

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to review
Albert1434

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

As always you write the best. So powerful this work is!

Response from the author:

Thank you, Albert. It is so nice to have someone who has always connected with my poetry. Poetry may not be for everyone, but those who have a passion for it are well served. It provides a unique opportunity for poets and readers to share something we find special. I often don't know what is going to come out when I begin, but these particular poems signaled an end to my covid-induced writer's block, and therefore hold a heightened significance. Thanks again. Cheers! 

  • Like 4
  • Love 2
Link to review
drsawzall

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

All I can say is read this!!!

Response from the author:

Thank you so much for recommending these poems, kind sir. Poetry holds a special place in my writer's heart. Cheers! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to review
chris191070

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

I've started to read more poetry, wasn't always a lover.

But these poems are full of raw emotions. The first poem is thrilling and dark, whilst the second poem conveys love and longing.

Thanks for writing.

Response from the author:

Thanks, Chris! Happy to hear you are reading more poetry. Personally, I can get lost in good poetry, and I wish that for everyone. It was important for me to include some in the anthology, and am hoping there is more. Very pleased you liked these offerings and left such a kind review. Cheers!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to review
W_L

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Nice poems: I thought the first one was probably stronger with its visceral appeal from the perspective of an abused partner recognizing the abusive relationship and ultimately attempting to leave. That was a thrilling and dark poem.

The second one came across as a meditation on a past lover, perhaps someone unwilling to leave the closet, but the perspective is still of longing and love.

Response from the author:

Thanks, W_L. Yes, there are very different poems, both deeply personal, but the second one held no anger or resentment. Poetry, for me, lets memories live again, both good and bad, and it can be very cathartic, especially if readers can relate to it. I appreciate you leaving a thoughtful and astute review. Cheers! 

  • Like 4
  • Love 2
Link to review
Mrsgnomie

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Wasn’t always a big poetry person, this makes me wonder why not. So much emotion and strength conveyed through beautiful writing and less than 500 words. Talent.

 

Response from the author:

Thank you, Mrsgnomie! I appreciate your kind words. Lots of readers steer clear of poetry for whatever reasons, but I find it a true art form, one that challenges a writer in uniquely different ways. It's also good for the soul. :) That said, as much as I respect all aspects and forms, I do find some poetry too obtuse, as if meant to impress other poets, and that often feels contrived. I tend to write it in a more direct fashion, and honesty is always at the heart of my offerings. Again, thank you for your validation. Cheers! 

  • Love 7
Link to review
raven1

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

This poem of raw emotions is a tribute to the strength of the human spirit.  It is a tribute to the courage to overcome manipulation, abuse and regain lost freedom.

Response from the author:

Thanks, Terry. Raw is a good word for the first poem. When I begin to write a poem, a strong emotion is usually involved, even if I'm not sure which one will surface at first. I think I needed something powerful to get me back on track as a producing writer, and what poured out did the trick. :)  Thanks again for your support. Cheers!  

  • Love 7
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..