Jump to content

On Track

   (11 reviews)

Woodrow is on a solitary mission to overcome the effects of a terrible trauma, in a spot that is special for all the wrong reasons. Will it turn out the way he planned? Will he find his peace?

Copyright © 2022 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (18 members)

  • Action Packed 0
  • Addictive/Pacing 11
  • Characters 17
  • Chills 2
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 16
  • Feel-Good 13
  • Humor 1
  • Smoldering 2
  • Tearjerker 15
  • Unique 14
  • World Building 2

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

W_L

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Lovely romance, the story is beautiful in its sentimentality. Paul and Woodrow shine in their characterization with a common tragedy binding them.

Response from the author:

Thanks W_L. This sentimental journey marks the end of a very painful year. It is a story of terrible grief, and the rebirth that can come when it finally recedes. Glad you liked it, and appreciate sharing your thoughts with potential readers. Cheers! 

  • Love 2
Link to review
Sherye Story Reader

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Here is a story of love and loss but the hope of finding someone who not only understands how you feel but both wants to get on with their life without sadness and without loneliness. I recommend this story to anyone that has had a loss or just loves to read any kind of story. Headstall is a great storyteller!

Response from the author:

Thanks, Story Reader! I don't believe anyone would choose to be lonely, but there are some who don't believe they should be happy. Survivors' guilt can be debilitating, and sometimes we need that push to break the cycle we are in. There is hope in this one for sure. :) Thanks for the very kind words, my friend, and thanks for leaving such a great review. They really help bring new readers in. Cheers!

  • Love 3
Link to review
Doha

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

An evocative tale of 2 men who find each other in the midst of tragedy. You will smile, laugh, cry and feel a sense of hope. 

This was a jolly good read and would make a wonderful start to a full length story. 

Headstall is a skilled author and this is evident in "On Track".

Response from the author:

Thank you so much, Doha. Your words make me want to read it. :) I agree this story could be expanded on, but as you say, we are left with enough hope that their journey will be a good and satisfying one. Appreciate the recommendation, buddy, and the kind words. Cheers!

  • Love 6
Link to review
Mrsgnomie

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

Well told story of loss, mourning, and emptiness. But in the midst of the hurt, Headstall brings a glimmer of hope in the broke-hearted. Proving you never know when you’ll be given a second chance.

Definitely recommend this story. In the end, I think you’ll walk away with a smile. 

Response from the author:

Thank you for recommending this one, Mrsgnomie. In some ways I think I was being reborn as I wrote this. Life is filled with journeys, big and small, and this was definitely a big one for these two men. It's a human thing to honor life, but it is also human to move on... to look for that smile to wear. Hope can come with the smallest gesture or a fleeting feeling. Maybe we feel a nudge from within the darkness, one pushing us to let light inside our heart. They can be mere moments, but it is what we do with them that matters. Woodrow and Paul made a choice, and my belief is it will serve them well. I tend to ramble sometimes. :)  Appreciate your support of all my entries in the special anthology. Cheers! 

  • Love 7
Link to review
Gary L

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Like a phoenix arising from the ashes of a disaster, Woodrow moves forward with hope.

This is one of the best pieces of an outstanding anthology.  I strongly recommend it, and as another relievers says, if you aren’t aware of Headstall’s other writings, get started.

a 5* read which has ideas and emotions floating around in my head. 

Response from the author:

Thanks for this glowing review, Gary. I am humbled by your words, and if I left you with any thoughts and inspiration then I am truly pleased. A 'phoenix rising from the ashes' is apt, and could have been used in the story description. :) Sometimes we need to be reborn, to take another leap even if it goes against our closely guarded grief. This happens here, in this story. We see determination and we see courage, and we see that we are part of something bigger, a world that adapts because it must. Cheers! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Link to review
raven1

· Edited by raven1

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

This sad, but sweet anniversary of love and loss powerfully hit my emotions.  Gary writes a beautiful story will leave you feeling hopeful.  I hope you will take the time to read this short, but moving tale.

Response from the author:

Thank you, Terry! I'm pleased you found it so, and appreciate you recommending it to others. Reviews are commonplace in our world now, for everything from spoons to tunes. They are equally important for helping readers decide what they want to spend their time on, so I am thankful for this. Cheers!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
Albert1434

· Edited by Albert1434

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

What a touching story, filled with love and loss. And yet new love and happiness blooms to replace sadness.  If you read this wonderful story I am sure you will love it! Great dialogue and description and loaded with Gary magic! 

And lastly you should give Gary's other story's a try you are going to love them just as I do!

Response from the author:

Thanks for your kind words, Albert, and thanks for urging readers to check out my other works. As tragic as this is, it is more a story about hope. We never know when that life raft will be thrown to us, but when it is, we have a choice, and that is what this tory is really about. Courage is needed at those trying times, and sometimes we must dig deep to find it. Your support is cherished, my dear friend. Cheers!

  • Like 1
  • Love 7
Link to review
Mancunian

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

A sad tale of two men meeting and sharing their grief, somehow in the sadness they make a connection. Is there a possible future, maybe soulmates? Read it then tell me what you think, I know it left me wanting more.

Response from the author:

I'm a believer in soulmates, but I don't think there is just one for each person. Life throws us curves, but it provides new chances to overcome them. Thanks, Mancunian. I am pleased to hear you want more... these characters have come to mean a lot to me. Thanks for urging others to give this a read. Cheers!

  • Like 1
  • Love 7
Link to review
drsawzall

· Edited by drsawzall

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

A tale so tragically sad and yet from the depths of that darkness two star-crossed lovers find purpose and reasons to move on with their lives. 

Response from the author:

We take these hard journeys, and we figure out a way to keep living. We have to, because to waste a life is to dishonor those who left us. It's a simple truth, but not an easy one to accomplish. A sliver of hope is what we look for, and it can flourish once we find it. Thanks for this, Doc. These reviews are so important in aiding potential readers, and they are much appreciated by me. Cheers!

  • Love 9
Link to review
dughlas

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Both sad and happy, not saying more because, well, I don't want to spoil the full effect. If you've read other of Gary's stories this will be exactly what you've come to expect from my friend's romantic soul. If this is your first time reading his work you'll come to understand his following of devoted readers.

Response from the author:

Thanks, dugh. I appreciate that you don't ever leave spoilers... just amazing support for stories that move you. Your kind words mean a lot to me, and I always look forward to hearing your thoughts on any of my work. This story is tragic in so many ways, but there is hope too, and hope is a wondrous thing. Cheers! 

  • Like 3
  • Love 9
Link to review
centexhairysub

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

A delightful short story that packs a punch.  It is able to evoke a great deal of emotions; and a myriad of them in a very telling manner. 

Writing and pacing were spot on; and even this brief glimpse of these characters made you want to know more.  

Response from the author:

I love when readers want more! Thank you, centex. I have come to love this story, and I hope more will give it a read. There is light in the darkness, and that is a beautiful thing. Cheers and much thanks for your recommendation. G.

  • Like 7
  • Love 5
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..