Jump to content

Sidewinder

   (30 reviews)

Life in the Old West was harsh. The work was hard, but the men were harder, and death.... well... it came easy. Boone had no one until he met Coy, a handsome cowboy with a good heart. Their friendship was quickly formed, and meant everything to him, but after five years of being at each other's side, it was time to move on. Coy didn't need him anymore, and Boone wanted someone made like he was. Finally accepting that was never going to be Coy, and tired of being rootless, he sets out to find a home... land that was his, and a place he could belong. Coy? Left on his own, what path will he take?

What was life like for a gay man in the Old West? Westerns are not a popular genre, but this author grew up on them, and I wrote this for me. This is my second story set in these times, and I wanted to explore how these men coped... how they survived, and what the attitudes of the times were. A lot of research went into this, but the trappings of the story are only a small part of it. This is a simple human drama about wanting what we all want... to stay alive, have a place to call our own, and someone to share it all with. Sometimes, it's just a dream....
Copyright © 2020 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (51 members)

  • Action Packed 26
  • Addictive/Pacing 39
  • Characters 51
  • Chills 7
  • Cliffhanger 22
  • Compelling 13
  • Feel-Good 7
  • Humor 8
  • Smoldering 26
  • Tearjerker 20
  • Unique 36
  • World Building 25

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Albert1434

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

A wonderful story full of Gary magic. Western love at its best! Well written and thought out! Two young men find there love for each other so wonderful! Them get to have there dream together which I just loved:2thumbs:

Response from the author:

Thanks, Albert! I always love to hear there might be such a thing as Gary magic. :)  Writing about the Old West again was a lot of fun, and the reception of this one was rewarding. Thanks for your support, and I hope your review helps convince new readers to give it a shot. Cheers!

  • Like 1
  • Love 7
Link to review
Onim

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

This story with it's wonderful characters...Coy, Boone and others (Blue and Daisy, especially), ticked all the boxes for me, written so well, there was laughter, tears, adventure, cliffhangers, LOVE, a uniqueness, etc, etc, etc!!! Loved it, the ending was perfect!!:heart:

Response from the author:

What a wonderful review of a story so close to my heart, Onim. Thank you so much for this validation. This one took a lot of research and attention to detail, but it looks like my choices were well received. :)  Cheers!

  • Like 4
  • Love 6
Link to review
dughlas

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

This is the dime store western of my boyhood with a twist. In those stories the cowboy won the shootout and the gal. Here there ain't no gal and the only shootout occurred just before the story begins. That shootout has ramifications though for two young men. It is the impetus for one of them, Boone, to seek out the life he dreams of and for his best friend, Coy, to decide what it is he wants from life. Like most westerns there's also a cantankerous mule ...

Response from the author:

Lol. There had to be a mule, dugh. :P  I used to read those dime store westerns too, and I would get lost in those worlds of horses and cowboys and good guys and bad guys. Who'd have thought that young kid would one day write a western where the hero is a gay man? Not me, that's for sure, but I've sure enjoyed doing it. We all have dreams, no matter what times we live in, but the challenge for finding someone to share them with might have been harder back then, and that is what Boone faces.  

Thanks so much for the great review, bro. I hope it will give others the impetus to read this little story... cheers! Gary. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 8
Link to review
drsawzall

   11 of 11 members found this review helpful 11 / 11 members

Well worth the time to read and enjoy, a story that's well crafted that you will truly like!

Response from the author:

Thank you, drsawzall! I really enjoyed you being along for the ride, and I appreciate the support from a fellow author. God willing, another western might be on the horizon. Cheers! Gary.

  • Like 2
  • Love 9
Link to review
centexhairysub

   14 of 14 members found this review helpful 14 / 14 members

Very well written and developed story, the descriptive nature of some of the chapters were truly wonderful.

Westerns are a genre that does not often find itself being plumbed by gay authors or have content that is gay centric in nature.  I have never understood this but Headstall has provided a prime example of what a talented writer can do with the setting and genre.  

Story was well developed but moved along at a good pace.  There was just enough background information provided in a timely and encapsulated manner so the reader fully understood what the backstory was and how it related to what was being played out.  It was easy to care about the characters and there were several that I could see deserving of stories of their own.  The authors prose in describing the natural setting of the story truly draws one into the time and place of the story.  I could easily have read a story twice this length with these characters.

Bravo...

Response from the author:

Wow! Thanks, centex! You've definitely made my day. I don't understand the shortage of gay-themed westerns either. They're out there, but certainly not numerous. Your words are very kind and I hope they "spur" other readers to delve into this story. It's been a terrific experience to write and post, and I loved the interaction from the readers. And, to be honest, I could have written a story about these characters twice the length of this one. They have become quite special to me. Thanks again, and cheers! Gary. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 11
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..