Jump to content

An Overheard Conversation

   (7 reviews)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Drama

Fourteen year old Ethan Berenson and his family have recently moved from California to Texas. One day he happens to overhear a conversation between two of his teachers which sets off a chain of events...

A story inspired by first line Prompt 883
Copyright © 2021 Ivor Slipper; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (18 members)

  • Action Packed 7
  • Addictive/Pacing 14
  • Characters 18
  • Chills 1
  • Cliffhanger 5
  • Compelling 3
  • Feel-Good 1
  • Humor 1
  • Smoldering 5
  • Tearjerker 6
  • Unique 14
  • World Building 9

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. AOC 1
    • 3,473 Words
    • 4,704 Views
    • 29 Comments
  • 2. AOC2
    • 2,112 Words
    • 4,469 Views
    • 44 Comments
  • 3. AOC 3
    • 4,455 Words
    • 4,239 Views
    • 36 Comments
  • 4. AOC 4
    • 3,866 Words
    • 6,585 Views
    • 34 Comments
  • 5. AOC 5
    • 3,260 Words
    • 2,669 Views
    • 27 Comments
  • 6. AOC 6
    • 2,873 Words
    • 2,739 Views
    • 36 Comments
  • 7. AOC 7
    • 3,397 Words
    • 2,744 Views
    • 32 Comments
  • 8. AOC 8
    • 3,443 Words
    • 2,615 Views
    • 33 Comments
  • 9. AOC 9
    • 2,997 Words
    • 2,358 Views
    • 25 Comments
  • 10. AOC 10
    • 3,413 Words
    • 2,535 Views
    • 28 Comments
  • 11. AOC 11
    • 2,584 Words
    • 2,301 Views
    • 28 Comments
  • 12. AOC 12
    • 3,890 Words
    • 2,758 Views
    • 50 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

raven1

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

A well written trip back in time to a pivotal point in history for the people of the USA.  It is about romance, racial hatred, bigotry, and change.  At times it is gut wrenching and others it is joyful.  At all times it is a real look at what was really happening in many places in the USA at the time.  I loved and hated the characters passionately.  The twists in the plot always kept me interested in what would happen next.  It ticked off every box in the recommendation for me.  It left me feeling satisfied and feeling warm.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
Headstall

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

A sweet and timely story about first love, tempered by how Native Americans are still treated in pockets of America and elsewhere. There are bad people in this story, but they are outweighed by the good ones who show us how we should all be. The author has done a good job here, and I recommend taking the time to read this. Cheers!

Response from the author:

Much appreciate your Review and comments along the way.

Hopefully things are much better nowadays.

  • Love 5
Link to review
Gary L

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

50 yrs on I can still remember fear. The glance to the bookcase on the left where the collection of canes lay in the deputy head’s study.  Even good students like me would shake going in, even if on a none-disciplinary visit……  

a very moving story of a love growing in the shadow of those who would destroy them.  
first rate and beautifully written. 
 

thanks, Gary

Response from the author:

Can't say I ever had that experience, but I can understand the reaction to the situation.

Glad you enjoyed the story and appreciate the review.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to review
vonfoto

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

A very sweet story about guys who don't fit in but find each other. They are bullied at their school -- not only by fellow students, but by faculty as well, but with supporting families they persevere.

Response from the author:

Thank you for the Review. It sums up the story very well.

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to review
Geron Kees

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

A very straightforward tale of bullying on several levels, and the resilience that love and devotion can bring to such a circumstance. Ivor brings life to his characters, they are very likable and direct; bonding with them was easy and pleasurable. This was a comment earlier, because I didn't realize you can't review a story until it's marked complete. So if you detect an echo, that's why! :)

Another good story from a writer that knows compassion and fairness, and would like to see more of that out in the world!

 

Response from the author:

Thanks for the Review, little Sir Echo :thankyou:

  • Love 5
Link to review
centexhairysub

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

A really well written story about what happens when we take a chance on someone.  The writing and pacing were first rate.  I really did enjoy the character development and how they were fleshed out, even the auxiliary characters.  

Story gave a view of how life was and probably still is in many high schools across Texas.  The outright abuse of authority and the institutionally ingrained racism that exist not only in overt ways but in the more insidious undercover ways as well.

Response from the author:

I would hope life is better for stdents in Texas schools these days!

Thanks for the review and glad you thought the characters had 'life'.

  • Like 4
Link to review
chris191070

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

In this story we meet Ethan who has relocated to Texas with his family.

Whilst at school one day he overhears a conversation between his teachers, that starts off a chain of events. 

This chain of events leads to friendship with Wayne, a boy that is treated differently because of his culture.

Awesome story that comes highly recommended.

Response from the author:

Thanks for the recommendation, Chris. Much appreciated.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..