Jump to content

Blowing Me, Blowing You.

   (1 review)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Drama

England 1963.  Eighteen year old Keith has moved, with his parents, from a house in the suburbs of London to one in a village. It is located on the outskirts of the city, but in many ways it could be in the heart of the country. Keith is not looking forward to the prospect.

A story with a very similar title recently appeared as part of the 'Non Consent' writing Challenge at Iomfats. The story that appears here has been substantially rewritten to remove the non consent aspect, but featuring the same main characters.
Copyright © 2019 Ivor Slipper; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations

  • Action Packed 0
  • Addictive/Pacing 0
  • Characters 0
  • Chills 0
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 0
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 0
  • Unique 0
  • World Building 0

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Aha!
    • 7,215 Words
    • 2,211 Views
    • 17 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Former Member

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

In addition to being an interesting story, it’s also a reminder of what it was like even as recently as the late Sixties in the UK (and similarly in the US and Australia). Those of us grew up in later decades don’t always think about our LGBTQ elders and the struggles they faced before our rights were explicitly enshrined into law. We stand on the shoulders of many others who fought to get us where we are today.

 

Unlike most other minority groups, very few of us know LGBTQ elders who can teach us our LGBTQ history as we grow up. Few of us have the benefit of someone older and wiser to advise us and reassure us as we come to terms with our sexuality and orientation. Few of us have an LGBTQ elder to ask questions of as teenagers – or even as we pass through other stages of our lives.

 

Unlike most other minorities, we have to do the work ourselves of researching and discovering our own LGBTQ history. There are only a few jurisdictions in the world that mandate the teaching of LGBTQ history in public schools like California does. Only a few TV networks, like PBS (in the US) and BBC (in the UK) regularly present LGBTQ documentaries and historical dramas. Very few mainstream movies and TV show present us as more than just stereotypes, sidekicks, and novelties.

 

We owe it to ourselves and our LGBTQ elders to seek out, learn about, record, and preserve our own LGBTQ history because no one else is going to do it for us.

 

Sorry (not sorry) about the tangental rant!

;–)

  • Love 1
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..