Jump to content

Lanterns in the Dark 6. Ravello series

   (6 reviews)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Drama, Coming of Age

A novel in twelve chapters.

Summer again. Thirteen-year-old Daniele Ferrero reaches out to Marco, a lonely and vulnerable boy who has lost his only friends. Meanwhile, teenage couple Toto and Michele take stock of their future, and Gianni and Angelo suffer a loss.

There’s trouble in paradise for all concerned. What truths will be revealed when darkness falls?

This story contains spoilers for all the other books in this series, but particularly ‘Dani the Hero’, to which it is a direct sequel. As ever, I would recommend reading the earlier stories first.
Copyright © 2022 James Carnarvon; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (9 members)

  • Action Packed 5
  • Addictive/Pacing 8
  • Characters 9
  • Chills 3
  • Cliffhanger 4
  • Compelling 8
  • Feel-Good 9
  • Humor 5
  • Smoldering 3
  • Tearjerker 4
  • Unique 8
  • World Building 6

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 6,354 Words
    • 2,375 Views
    • 20 Comments
  • 2. Chapter 2
    • 5,829 Words
    • 2,155 Views
    • 21 Comments
  • 3. Chapter 3
    • 5,346 Words
    • 2,261 Views
    • 18 Comments
  • 4. Chapter 4
    • 6,708 Words
    • 2,103 Views
    • 16 Comments
  • 5. Chapter 5
    • 5,323 Words
    • 2,149 Views
    • 10 Comments
  • 6. Chapter 6
    • 5,293 Words
    • 2,223 Views
    • 15 Comments
  • 7. Chapter 7
    • 7,350 Words
    • 2,000 Views
    • 20 Comments
  • 8. Chapter 8
    • 5,510 Words
    • 2,193 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 9. Chapter 9
    • 6,000 Words
    • 5,186 Views
    • 24 Comments
  • 10. Chapter 10
    • 6,156 Words
    • 2,139 Views
    • 16 Comments
  • 11. Chapter 11
    • 4,820 Words
    • 1,803 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 12. Chapter 12
    • 4,646 Words
    • 2,181 Views
    • 22 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Mancunian

  

For those who haven't read this story I say that you should read it, you don't know what you're missing out on. This is another story in the Ravello Series and it does not disappoint. A summer of teenage woes, worries and tensions that will take you on a ride with more ups and downs than any fairground ride can, don't forget your tissues, they will be needed. Enjoy this summer of adventures as Dani discovers his true 'super power', healing friendships. I recommend this story but remember, your heartstrings will definitely be tugged in many different directions.

Response from the author:

Thank you once again! I'm currently hard at work carrying out edits on the third volume in my 'Dani trilogy', and I'm becoming desperately impatient to start sharing it with you all. In the meantime, the next couple of published Ravello stories provide a sidestep or two...

  • Love 2
Link to review
Summerabbacat

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

@James Carnarvon's works stimulate the senses. One rejoices in the sound of the ever-present cicadas in their daily scraping; in the smell of the oleanders and fragrant grape vines; in the taste of the lemons, aubergines and tomatoes which flavour so much of daily life in Ravello; in the touch of the light breeze or the scorching midday sun; and in the sight of the beauty of nature which abounds. 

Another journey to Ravello is like experiencing a myriad of pleasures all at the same time. The regular “cast” Gianni, Angelo, Claudia, Toto, Michele are back and welcome the return of Giacomo, Emilia, Marco and Dani, the superhero who once again proves to be pivotal in the lives of so many.

I shall not reveal any of the plot in my review as to do so would ruin the feast to be had in reading this most wondrous of books. Ebullient, poignant, beautiful and enriching; the rewards reaped in reading this delight are bountiful, much like reading its predecessors in the Ravello series.  

Response from the author:

A ‘superhero’ whose power is empathy 😅. Readers seeking a Marvel-style story should look elsewhere.

Thank you for the lovely review!

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to review
clairvin

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

A teen summer vacation story which will recall memories for every reader.  Long languid days,  humid nights, friends, family, community, loss, first love … beautifully written .

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
Mawgrim

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Another great Ravello story. When I read these I always feel as if I am getting glimpses of real people's lives in this beautiful part of Italy. The theme of this one is friendship and how it inevitably changes as teenagers grow up, experiencing the ups and downs of first love and new emotions they don't quite understand yet.

  • Like 2
  • Love 4
Link to review
drsawzall

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Growing up is never easy, especially for kids of all ages, as the vagaries of life constantly challenge, not only what you knew and what you thought you knew.

A fantastic coming of age story that will keep you enthralled, as we once again find ourselves in Ravello, wandering the sleepy back alleyways and hidden passages, as our protagonists face the challenges that await them! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Link to review
raven1

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Dani and Giaco start the summer in Ravello happily boating with friends.  They even rescue three illegal immigrants from Africa, Sami (a 7 year old orphan) and his aunt and uncle.  It goes down from there as Dani seems loses his friendships one by one with disastrous kisses, and the unexpected insecurities and feelings common to their age group.  He feels alone, especially when two of his older friends break up.  You will feel the emotions he feels as he faces the future, faces danger, and finally rebuilds his life, back with his friends.  This is another beautiful Ravello story by @James Carnarvon that you will love.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..