Jump to content
    JamesSavik
  • Author
  • 41,851 Words
  • 1,695 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Company - 13. Inertia

p style="text-align:center;"> arcade.jpg

i.

At zero dark stupid in the morning, Junior woke me up by nibbling on my ear. I’m not sure when I’d started calling Frank’s kitten Junior but, it was easier on my sensibilities than “Frank’s kitten” or “Kitty”. The feisty little beastie didn’t care if it was four in the afternoon or four in the morning. He wanted some attention.

I pet him, and he rumbled with delight, then nipped my knuckle and ran to the door swishing his tail. He was hungry. I gently disengaged from Frank, put on some shorts and followed Junior down to the kitchen.

His bowl wasn’t empty. He was holding out for some canned food. I knew I’d regret giving in but, I looked in the pantry, found a can, a Styrofoam bowl and fed him at six minutes after four in the morning according to the clock in the kitchen. Junior dug into his early breakfast with gusto. It was easy to tell that he was growing like a weed. He had long legs and big feet and was probably due for a little alteration soon; another item on my distressingly lengthy to-do list.

Since I was up, I decided to make the rounds. I went to look in on Sean and Bart, but the door was closed, and faint music was playing.

Big Ted and Rodney were still right where I left them on the couch in the parlor. I woke them up and guided them to a room close to Sean and Bart on the first floor. I got a bone crushing hug from Big Ted and a much more guarded one from Rodney and told them to sleep in.

Upstairs I made the rounds starting with Matty and Joey. They were in one of the rooms on the 2nd floor past the Party room. They were both sleeping soundly on the twin bed.

Next door Grant and Marcus were snoozing peacefully as were David and Little Karl across the hall.

Things were not so peaceful in the room where Ray, James, Walt and Juan were sleeping. Walt and Juan were sleeping peacefully in their bed. James was sleeping just fine too but, Ray was sweating, tossing and turning and had kicked off all his sheets.

I tried to wake him gently, but he woke with a gasp. His eyes were wild for a moment until I said very quietly, “It’s all right Ray. It’s just a nightmare.” He put his arms around me desperately, and I picked him up. I carried him across the hall to the party room and sat with him in my lap and let him calm down.

He asked plaintively, “How long will it take to get Pete out of my head?”

“I don’t know but, Frank and I are with you for as long as it takes. Almost everybody here is coping with an abusive past. I think you three might be the only ones that were abused by a certifiable sadist. I can’t pretend to know what that was like but, it’s over now.”

Ray sighed and said, “Getting away from Pete and coming here has been like a dream come true. I’ve wished something like this would happen for a long time but, as soon as I close my eyes, I’m back there.”

“It’ll take time. We’ve got to give you some new, happier memories, and that starts today.”

Ray said, “It’s already started. Everybody here is just so… cool. Yesterday the whole day was fun and… James is so sweet.”

“Yeah, he is. You two are so cute together. While we’re here, and I can spend a little time with you, what are your hobbies or interests?”

Ray said, “Things were pretty limited living under Pete’s thumb but, I like sports and I read everything I can get my hands on. I’m intrigued by computers, but I haven’t been around many, other than a few at school.”

“That’s where I can help. I have a bunch of them boxed up at my office. Since you are the first one to ask about them, the two of us will put the first one together.”

Ray asked dubiously, “Put it together?”

“I bought them as bare-bones kits with all the components for a nice desktop PC. You can buy one out of a box but, to really learn what’s going on under the hood, building a PC is the way to go. It’s not hard to do. We can put it together in less than an hour. Since we built it, if we want to upgrade it later, we’ll know just what is inside. I’ve been looking forward to someone bringing it up. It’ll be fun, and you’ll learn a lot.”

Ray said, “You know much about computers?”

“I’m an electrical engineer and computers are the hottest ticket going right now. I know a guy who got a double major in electrical engineering and computer science and got a job making a hundred twenty-five K right out of school so, if you are interested, you can ride that a long way.”

I noted his general demeanor and Ray appeared to be feeling better. “You want to try to get a little more sleep?”

Ray said, “Yeah but, I like this.”

“I do too. You’ve got charisma Ray. Frank has it too but, you got a double dose. I see it in the way your teammates look at you. You may not have noticed but, today in the Game Zone, the kids were following you around like a bunch of puppies. You are easy to like and now that you are out from under Pete’s thumb, you will be very popular. Try not to let the past throw shade on your future. Things are looking up for you.”

Ray hugged me tight and said, “Thanks for everything Tim. You literally changed my life overnight. By all rights, I should be in jail right now.”

“I think that just the right person is sitting behind bars now. Now scoot, and I’ll see you at breakfast.”

Ray stood, stretched just the way Frank does, smiled at me and left the room.

I continued my rounds and found nothing amiss or anyone else in distress. When I got back in bed beside Frank, Junior was already curled up asleep on my pillow.

 

ii.

It seemed like I had just laid down when Toby crawled into bed beside me. I hugged him and said, “Good morning Toby. Are you looking forward to going back to Arrowhead today?”

Toby said quietly, “Yeah but, I think something is wrong with Rebel. He’s entirely different. It’s like he’s not even the same person.”

“That is the difference between having to fend for himself and, knowing we’re going to take care of him makes. He’s always been that sweet kid. He just had to act like… well, Rebel so no one would know how scared he really was.”

Toby said, “I wasn’t certain how I liked the idea of Rebel living here but, I could really get to like Joey. He’s… really sweet which is something I never thought I’d say about Rebel.”

“Try to remember to call him Joey. Some awful things happened to him and Rebel will come out if he scared or someone is confrontational with him. Be sure to schedule some time with Doctor Patrick for yourself. It’ll be a lot easier to talk to him about Andrew than a detective.”

Toby said, “I thought… I’d talk to him about some of that things that happened to me in the park.”

“You talk to him about anything you feel the need too. I’m going to get up. My running partners will be along soon.”

Toby snuggled into the warm spot by Frank where I had been, and I pulled the sheet over him. Junior was so sound asleep, he didn’t even move or open his eyes, but you could feel his happy purr rumbling.

 

I put on some running shorts and some shoes and made my way down to the kitchen. It was a little before six and Maria hadn’t begun to stir, so I went on down to the gym and opened up the garage.

Sitting in a parking place under the big oak tree was what had to be Bart’s car. It was a brand new shiny red Porsche 911. Bart was the last kid I would have ever expected to see driving a Porsche but, Matthew and Chance’s Dad had indicated his family was loaded. Maybe a Porsche was the default graduation gift for a Dale. Good for Bart. If you can’t get laid driving a Porsche, you just aren’t trying.

I opened the trunk of my Mustang and loaded up my new toolbox from the stuff I bought at Sears the night before. The socket set had its own sturdy case, but I loaded screwdrivers, wrenches and other bits and pieces into the tool chest. Once I had it all together, I put the new tools in the box of my new truck. Once that was done, I put the part for Chance's Camaro that had been delivered in the box behind the cab and locked it up.

I did a few chores in the garage; nothing special, just stuff I didn’t want to pile up too high. I emptied the shop trash can, decluttered the dumbwaiter room, put a few tools up that were lying around. I like for my workspace to be neat. It’s easier when you know where things are. If you've got a mess, you spend more time looking for the right tool than actually doing the job. I was putting a spare multi-meter in the toolbox of my truck when Kelly and Jo-Jo came jogging up.

Jo-Jo said, “Hi Tim, what are you doing?”

“I’m getting moved into my new truck.”

Kelly said, “I thought you had that nice 4 by 4.”

“I gave that one to Lee as a late graduation present. Does anyone want to see if we’ve got any more runners in the kitchen this morning?”

Jo-Jo said, “I’ll check. Expect Larry and Tommy in a minute. I saw Tommy putting their garbage out” and scampered into the garage.

Kelly said, “I’ve heard some wild stories about Arrowhead Lodge. Was there really a bear that…”

“Yeah. His name is Edgar. My cousins found him as a cub and raised him. He’s pretty tame, follows them around like a puppy, and apparently he really likes Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen.”

Kelly laughed and said, “So that really happened?”

“It was funny afterwards but not so much when it was happening. Getting rimmed is pretty spectacular but, call me a prude, I’ll stick to my own species.”

I noticed that Kelly’s shorts were getting a little crowded, and he asked, “What’s it like? I know a finger in my hole makes me cum like a wildcat.”

“It’s great. It can be the warm up to a spectacular blow job or a precursor to anal sex. It helps things get loosened up. If you try it with Jo-Jo, make sure it’s right after a bath and everything is nice and clean down under. Right in that area are several glands that are key to erotic plumbing, and it stimulates them. When you do cum, it kicks it up a notch.”

Now Kelly was pitching wood.

I said, “I take it you like the sound of that?”

Kelly blushed crimson and nodded.

Jo-Jo returned and said, “It’s six-thirty and nobody is in the kitchen but Maria and Lee.”

Larry appeared on the trail carrying a grimacing Tommy piggyback. Tommy was carrying a little backpack that had a change of clothes for the two brothers. Kelly, Jo-Jo and I went to meet them and Larry said, “Tommy stepped on a pine cone and twisted his ankle.”

I had a look and said, “How long ago?”

Tommy said, “Just a few minutes.”

I said, “I’ll take him Larry”, and took Tommy off Larry’s back. “Does it hurt Tommy?”

He said, “Not like it did at first but, I’m feeling it.”

“Let’s take you into the gym and put that ankle into the whirlpool for a bit. We’ll see how it’s acting in a little while. If it doesn’t swell too much, we might be able to get away with just wrapping it up.”

I carried Tommy into the gym and put him down by the whirlpool. I started it up on medium heat, and Tommy pulled off his shoe and sock and put it in the roiling water.

I said, “It doesn’t look too bad so far. We’ll see how it looks in fifteen or twenty minutes.”

Tommy hugged me fiercely and said, “It feels better already.”

Larry said, “I’ll stay with him. Y’all get your mile in before breakfast.”

Jo-Jo said, “That’s really cool of you Larry. Last week you two couldn’t stand each other. Now you’re looking out for him.”

Larry said, “I guess I am getting used to him. Besides, he is kind of cute.”

I ruffled Tommy’s hair and said, “He is that. We’ll be back soon. Wait for us in the gym Tommy. Don’t try the stairs until we see how that ankle is going to act.”

With that, Kelly, Jo-Jo and I started off on our usual course with the sky just starting to turn pink. The park gate had been opened about five and a number of vehicles with empty trailers were in the parking lot. One of the fishermen had stopped loading and was looking around and waved to us as we passed. The park was a so much nicer place after the work was done.

We continued our run to the gate, turned around and began the return leg. We stopped at the sky-blue colored pool house for a drink of water.

After the three of us had caught our breath, I asked, “Do you want to see what it looks like inside? It’s open now.”

Jo-Jo led the way and shoved the door open. A motion sensor noted that the door was open, and the lights came on. The vestibule on the inside was obviously brand new with non-skid tile floor and a bulletin board that had the usual pool rules spelled out. The interior door opened and there was a branching hall. There was a metal barrier like mall stores used to secure shops blocking the hall to the pool and the other door was marked, Men’s restroom, changing room and showers.

Kelly asked, “Tim, how did they build this so fast? They only worked on the park for a week.”

“David Bridges is a brilliant guy. He majored in Civil Engineering and has been working on a new construction technique called concrete injection. For this building, they laid out the foundation, put in the plumbing and conduits, put up a light-weight metal frame, a big form and injected the concrete right into it. The whole thing was up in a day and everything else was just fittings and finishing. Oh, and if we ever get hit with a tornado, you’ll want to hide in here.”

Jo-Jo knocked on the wall and said, “It’s solid all right, but something looks odd about this concrete.”

“A lot of concrete has gravel in it. Engineers call it aggregate. This stuff uses tiny bits of Styrofoam as its aggregate which makes it set up hard, dry fast and be much lighter than other concrete mixes. Want to see the rest?”

Jo-Jo shoved the door open to the new Men’s room and the light flicked on. It was clean, the floor tiled with the same non-slip tiles with all new fixtures. It was laid out similar than the old bathroom with the exception that the individual urinals were gone replaced by a long trough. There were two commodes enclosed in privacy partitions.

Kelly said, “It looks familiar, but everything is new.”

Jo-Jo said, “Yeah, and it doesn’t smell like a sweat and old piss.”

I tried the door to the changing room and showers and was surprised when it opened. The light snapped on revealing a changing room with the same no-slip gray tile floor, a bank of lockers, benches and four changing rooms with privacy doors. There was a small shower in the back.

Jo-Jo said, “This is very nice. These changing rooms…”

I said, “Sometimes you need a little privacy.”

When I turned, I noticed that Jo-Jo and Kelly were both boned up. I smiled and said, “I almost forgot you two have a lot of history with this place.”

Kelly said, “We have the opportunity to be the first here.”

Jo-Jo looked at me imploringly and asked, “Maybe the first threesome?”

“Thanks for the offer guys but, you two should have the honor. When we do our threesome, I want it to be when we’re not rushed.”

 

When we got back to the gym, Tommy had his foot in the whirlpool and Larry was standing beside him talking to him. He turned and said, “It’s a little swollen, but I don’t think it’s too bad.”

I sat beside Tommy and said, “Let me take a look.”

Tommy pulled his left foot out of the water, and it was just as Larry had described it. I said, “Today, you stick with me. You’ll need to stay off it as much as possible.”

Kelly said, “That’s one of the hazards of running in the very early morning when it’s still mostly dark. I’ve done that myself more times than I’d like to admit.”

I sighed and admitted, “Me too. Tommy, let’s get some breakfast and a shower, then I’ll wrap it up for you.”

Tommy rubbed his ankle, stood, tried a little weight on it and said, “It’s a little tender but, I’m hungry. Maria’s biscuits are calling.”

I picked him up and said, “Good. Let’s eat and get our day started.”

I followed Kelly, Jo-Jo and Larry up the stairs and was met by the aroma of bacon and something else enticing at the kitchen door. I put Tommy down on the landing and helped him to a chair. Frank, Lee, Randy, Philip, Aaron, Grant, Marcus and Toby were already seated and sporting wet hair from their showers.

Jo-Jo said, “Have you guys seen the park? It’s spectacular!”

Aaron said, “Just a little of it. It looks great. It makes the old park look like a dump.”

Randy asked, “Tommy, are you OK?”

Tommy rolled his eyes and said, “I stepped on a pine cone and sprained my ankle. Tim is going to wrap it up for me.”

Maria said, “Well, you’re just in time for the first batch of biscuits and I made some sausage gravy, hash browns, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage. Come and get it.”

Larry put his hand on Tommy’s shoulder before he could get up and said, “I know what you want.”

Marie’s breakfast was even better than I thought. She had even fried a few chicken strips for the biscuits.

We ate, and before I headed upstairs, Philip said, “I called my Grandparents. They’re early risers and are pleasantly shocked.”

Before I could escape, Frank said, “I filled up the tub.”

We had company in the tub. Matty and Joey were already in and splashing around when we arrived. With Jo-Jo, Kelly, Larry, Tommy and me, we filled the big tub. We spent a few minutes chatting and joking around, washing our hair and each other. Then we dried off, got dressed and started our day.

 

iii.

I met with my security staff first thing including a pleased but, somewhat sleep-deprived Big Ted. We had no major issues but, we did have a busy day ahead. Randy had gotten clearance for Ray, Walt and Juan to go back to their house to collect their belongings. That would require a Deputy and some coordination to accomplish. We needed to do something similar for Joey but, as their house wasn’t a crime scene, no police involvement would be necessary.

Randy said, “There was a blurb in the paper about the arrest of Jacob Cole and the near miraculous recovery of Matthew Lamb. The TV people named the Game Zone and got a few details, but the paper just got the press release. The Chief has used up his markers with the Tri-City Gazette. They resent getting scooped because they were playing ball and want an interview.”

I sighed and said, “I don’t exactly hate the press, but I’d rather get a root canal.”

Randy said, “Almost everybody who has had the pleasure of media scrutiny feels the same way unless they are attention-seeking idiots. It seems like they always get the facts wrong, slant their stories or grind their favorite axes. A smart player can use them to their advantage. There will be a cub reporter at the grand opening ceremony named Chip Daniels. I’ve met him, and I have a suggestion for how to make him into a really friendly reporter.”

Rory rolled his eyes and I asked, “How?”

Randy grinned maliciously and said, “He made a pass at me about a month or so before I started working for you. Knowing your usual charm, he’ll be following you around like a puppy.”

Danny said with a grin, “A good commander never gives up and advantage on the battlefield. When I look at a person’s background report, I like to see who he’s connected to. Daniels has some interesting and potentially useful connections.”

I said, “I don’t know. Wouldn’t it be like playing with fire?”

Randy said, “Not so much. He’s a frequent flyer at Madam Devine’s place and, I’ll bet that you’ve seen him around and, don’t know him by name. When I found out who he was, we did a little background on him— Danny can do absolute witchcraft with a background report. Daniels is a nephew of Don Cutter who owns the Gazette, the radio station and the ABC affiliate in DeKalb. You’ve probably heard Chip reading the news on the radio. I dealt with them while you were recuperating from your crash to get the Game Zone radio deal done, and they set me up with Olson’s Studio where Alan makes the tapes for airing. Cutter is a good guy but, Chip is the black sheep in that family and gets all the shit work. Apparently they know he’s gay but never talk about it and expect him to be discrete— it’s all very, very Southern.”

Danny snorted derisively and said, “Yeah, I think we all know how that works.”

Randy continued with his narrative, “He went to journalism school at Southern Mississippi and graduated last year. He’s been doing fluff pieces for the Gazette like covering the opening of Dockside Park. Now if he brought back a real story…”

I said, “We could help him out of the dog house and make an ally.”

Randy said, “I think we could actually take it as far as co-opting him. Nothing is as seductive to an outsider as becoming an insider. That’s at least a third of the magic that makes this whole thing fly. Besides, he’s pretty cute— oof!”

Rory elbowed Randy with a sparkle in his eyes.

Randy quickly interjected, “But not as cute as you of course.”

Rory said primly, “Better.”

I said, “When can I expect him?”

Randy said, “He and a TV crew will be at the opening ceremony at ten-thirty. I’ve got you taking some of the boys to the Big Sandy Memorial earlier. There will be a bus for Arrowhead at the end of Game Zone’s day shift. I’ll be going with that group.”

Danny said, “I’ll go with the night crew at close of business about eleven. Which group will you go with Boss?”

“Night shift. Encourage the boys who go early to get some sleep, so they won’t be dead on their feet when we get there at midnight. They’ll find some surprises there that will keep them entertained, and my cousins will open up for you. There will be a barbecue and my Aunts will feed everybody.”

Randy asked, “You got anything else for us?”

“I think our biggest item will be Doctor Patrick setting up shop today. He’ll be seeing many of our boys and their friends. Some of it ordered by Judge Vinson: Rodney, Matty, Joey, Ray, Juan and Walt for starters. Matty and Joey need to see Doctor Chang as well. Nothing else big or important— just some errands I’ll run. I need to take Joey to his house to pack up some of his things. We’ll have to shop for Matty.”

Randy said, “We’ll get what he had from the hotel they were staying at in Rivervine. The crime scene guys told me there was a suitcase and a backpack with his personnel effects. I’ll let you know when I get my hands on it. Has he talked to you?”

I said, “Not much but, you can check with Chris. He looked after him yesterday after day shift. So far, Matty has sort of attached himself to Joey. They both jumped in the big tub this morning. They were more about playing than any serious talk.”

Rory said, “I’ll take Joey and Matty to see Doctor C. Ted, how is Rodney doing?”

Ted said, “He’s just thrilled to get out from under his step-father. I’m glad he’ll be talking to a real shrink. His parents are religious nuts and had him seeing some kind of Christian counselor that did him more harm than good.”

“Rory, take Rodney to Doctor Chang when you take Matty and Joey. I know they checked him out at the hospital but, he needs to get the full screening and counseling.”

Rory said, “Can do boss. Rod and I have known each other for years. Is there anything else guys?”

Randy said, “I think we have it covered.”

 

iv.

As luck would have it, several people that I needed to see were having breakfast when the staff meeting adjourned. David Bridges, his cousin Little Dave, Karl, Philip, Aaron and Walt were on one side of the table. Ray, Juan, Tony, Bart, Sean, Adam and Alan were on the other. Tommy and Bobby Knight, Zeke and Charlie had apparently just finished and were dumping their plates.

“Hi guys. You ready for a big day?”

Everybody started at once, stopped realizing it was an incoherent babble and laughed.

Big Dave said, “I’ve got all the keys your facilities guys are going to need. I’m ready to do a walk through with you.”

“That’s you Blue Team guys. Once we do a walk through, I’ll take Philip over to Osterman’s Equipment, and we’ll get the equipment for the barn. There is also an office where you guys will be in training for lifeguard duty and running the skate park.”

“As soon as we’re done there, I’ll load up the van for the Big Sandy Baptist Memorial. Around nine, Doctor Patrick will arrive, and I want him to see Matty, Joey and Rod first so Rory can take them to their physical and get that out of the way.”

Karl spoke up and said, “My Mom should be home about eleven. Dave and I are going over to my house to get things squared away for her arrival.”

I said, “That should work out fine. Larry will be around but, Tommy sprained an ankle this morning. That’s going to slow him down some.”

Arron asked, “Some of the guys who want to go to the Memorial are on day shift. Is that going to be a problem?”

“No, we can run a little short for a while. They won’t be gone long. We’ve also got some guys that need to see Dr. Patrick.”

Bart said, “As soon as we’re done eating, I’m going to drive Sean to his place and help him pack his truck.”

Sean asked, “Where do you want me? It seems like everybody is upstairs.”

I said, “There still a little room on that wing upstairs. Our shrink will be in a room on that wing on the first floor. It’s up to you, and you can move around once you’re here. Get with Jeb or Tony to show you how to use the lift.”

Philip gave Aaron a one-armed hug, finished the chicken biscuit he was eating, put his silverware in the sink and dumped his plate in the trash. Big Dave was done too so the Blue Team plus David and I went out to the garage and headed to the new Dockside Park.

The sun was up a little more than it was when we jogged through and, if anything it was even more impressive. All the buildings were painted sky blue and looked new and shiny in the morning light.

David said, “The part of the park you guys will use the most is the barn and the office. They are both behind the pool, but there is an access road just in front of that giant oak tree. It has a gate that’s marked park use only but, that’s also the way to the camp sites. I’ll have to let you and Tim figure out policy on those. I think he wants to allow local kids to use them but not the sort of vagabonds that will try to live there.”

This time I saw on the side of the pool building a little sign with a tornado on it. Off to the right in what had been scruffy undergrowth was the pavilion. It was a simple design with concrete columns supporting a pointed roof sheltering a number of tables.

David led us past the big oak and picnic tables set up underneath it in the shade to the access road. It did indeed have a gate clearly marked park use only. He opened it and the group passed through.

David said, “Notice this gate is marked G2. On your key rings there are two gate keys. G1 is the main gate. This one is G2. Whether you decide to lock it is a policy matter you can decide later. It would probably be a good idea to lock it at night.”

David led us down a shady gravel road with trees on either side to a parking lot with the barn on one side and the new office on the other. The barn looked like an entirely new building freshly painted in the sky blue color scheme. The office was a sparse one-story building concrete building with a sign on the front reading Lakeside Facilities Management.

He said, “On your key rings there is a key stamped O and another stamped B for office and barn.”

David took one of the keys and opened the side door to the barn, and we followed him inside. He flipped a switch and a new row of fluorescent hanging shop lights came on. It was clean and all the dirt and junk that had accumulated inside was gone revealing a concrete floor, shelves and a workbench. One of the shelves was full of supplies for the pool.

He said, “We have a contractor coming out to help with the pool. He’s going to be teaching you guys how to keep the chlorine balanced and the water clear. There’s a lot to learn so be sure to pay attention. The rest of the space here will be for the equipment. We have a contract with them to send out a guy to service it but, you’ll have to learn that too.”

We finished looking at the barn and headed over to the office. It wasn’t big but contained an office with a few desks, office chairs, phone, a huge map of the park on the wall, a map of the St. Luke’s Community Center and a map of City Park. On a side table, there were six radios sitting on a charger stand and phones.

I said, “Philip, your grandparents wanted to speak to us. Why don’t you call them back from your new office.”

Philip asked, “My office?”

“Yes, I intend for you to be the overall boss on site. You’ll have a lot to do. I suggest that you get in a habit of keeping office hours— time in the mornings and afternoon where you’ll be near the phone. One of the items you’ll be dealing with is events and scheduling. Different people or organizations will want to rent the pavilion or pool to host parties and other functions. We’ll charge them a nominal fee of course that’ll go back into the upkeep of the park. We’ll probably look at hiring a few more guys when we see how things are working.”

Philip looked poleaxed and said, “I don’t know, this is all…”

Tommy Knight said, “A little overwhelming. It’ll take a while to get up to speed but, I think we can handle it.”

Philip looked gratefully at the Tommy. I had finally figured out how to tell the Knight twins apart. There was a tiny difference in their voices. I said, “Guys— this is where it starts for you. I’m going to help you with getting this done. I know you will not be ready to run on day one. You’re all going to be learning. Lifeguards: what the best way to learn how to swim?”

Bobby said, “Jump in the water, preferably with something to float on.”

“Good. I’m going to be your life jacket. I’ve got people coming that will help you learn everything you’ll need to know. I have confidence in all five of you. You are up to this challenge. Now Phillip, have a seat at your desk, give your grandparents a call from your office.”

He looked at me with dawning comprehension of what this meant and asked, “What is my title going to be?”

“Let’s start with Site Manager. Invite them to come over for the ceremony around 11:30. Now, let’s get this done. We have some equipment to pick up at Ingersoll.”

I reached onto a shelf and pulled down five binders and handed one each to the new staff of Lakewood Facilities. “These binders contain training materials. I suggest that you learn all the jobs, so you can spell each other, and it doesn’t get boring. They start out with first aid, lifeguard duties, how to run the skate park and oh, I almost forgot.”

I picked up a box behind one of the desks and opened the lid. I handed each of the boys a sky-blue t-shirt with Lakewood Facilities Management stenciled across the back.

David Bridges chuckled and said, “Buckle up guys. This will be one heck of a ride.”

 

v.

Fifteen minutes later, Philip, Tommy Holloway and I were in my truck on the way to Ingersoll Equipment.

Philip said, “Thank you for that. That call was outstanding. My Grandfather… Since my parents dumped me on them, their expectations for me haven’t been that high. Would you believe Old Jeff got me drunk and told me to pick another hobby? He said, ‘Son, when I was coming up, I knew a queer. He was a good smart guy but all he ever got was grief.’”

I said, “In those days in the South, everybody was a good Baptist or something similar. They figured if you were gay and wouldn’t give it up, they just hadn’t punished you enough. Gay people were driven away and, cops went out of their way to go hard on them. That’s why the big cities started having ghettos of gay people, and those cities found them to be useful.”

Tommy asked, “Useful? What do you mean?”

Philip said, “Cheap labor among other things. Have you ever heard of a minority driven to a ghetto that makes it nicer?”

I said, “He’s right Tommy. The communities of Atlanta, New Orleans and Houston where gay people started moving were real dumps before they started moving in and buying them up. They went from urban blight to really nice in just a few years. They call it gentrification: making old crappy neighborhoods fashionable and hip again.”

Tommy asked, “Why?”

I said, “Look at the guys rooms back at the house. If they were straight kids, they would be a disaster. They’re all neat, and they’re all continuously working on them. Have you noticed how some of the guys are slipping in furniture? There’s just something about our psychology.”

Philip laughed and said, “My girl-friend Kate says we gay guys have the aesthetics gene.”

Tommy said, “You’ve got a girl-friend?”

Philip said, “Maybe I should have said friend-girl. Violet likes gay guys.”

I said, “It’s not true for every gay guy. There are plenty of gay slobs but, most of us like things neat and orderly.”

Tommy changed the subject and asked, “Do you like Aaron?”

Philip said, “We just met last night but, yeah. I want to get to know him better.”

“Arron’s my best friend’s big brother, so I know him pretty well”, Tommy said. “Go slow with him. Too many guys just want to get in his pants, and that’s a pet peeve of his.”

“Thanks Tommy. I wasn’t planning on jumping his bones but, I’ll keep that in mind”, Philip said.

Tommy chuckled and said, “Don’t be surprised if he jumps your bones if he decides he really likes you.”

I pulled into the front lot of Ingersoll Equipment and said, “We’re here. Tommy, stay put, and I’ll be back shortly. Philip, come with me. You’re about to see the equipment you are going to have to work with.”

Philip bumped knuckles with Tommy and followed me in the front door. A receptionist was sitting at a desk in the lobby and said, “Good morning sir. How can I help you?”

“I’m Tim Shepherd here to see Ken Johnston about picking up some equipment. The account is under Lakewood Facilities Management.”

She picked up the phone, had a short conversation, hung it up and said, “Ken will be with you shortly.”

I took a seat in one of the comfortable chairs and Philip followed my lead. A few minutes later, Ken Johnston came out of a door and said, “Good morning Mr. Shepherd. If you’ll follow me, I’ll get you to sign for your equipment, and you’ll be ready to roll.”

“Mr. Johnston, this is Philip Holmes. He’s going to be the Site Manager at Dockside Park. He’ll be the point of contact there for training and maintenance.”

Johnston took out a business card and handed it to Philip saying, “We’ve got some guys scheduled to come out to train your team up on the gear early next week. If you experience any problems, give me a call.”

Philip took the card, put it in his wallet and said, “Thank you, Mr. Johnston. This is a learning experience for us, so we’ll be glad to see your trainers.”

Johnston led us into a small office with a table bearing a file folder. He flipped it opened, and I signed on the indicated lines. He handed me a folder with all the paperwork and then led us to the equipment.

Philip gasped when he saw it. It was a GMC work truck painted in the sky-blue theme we had used in the park with Lakewood Facilities Management lettered on the sides. It had a tool frame installed in the bed with much of the site equipment in the back.

The truck's tailgate had been replaced with a Tommy-gate; it operated as a standard tail gate but was a hydraulic lift for moving heavy equipment. In the back of the truck was a big Yazoo riding mower and a Yazoo self-propelled push mower. There were several gas-powered weed eaters and a pile of supplies for all the gear.

Philip looked at the stuff and said, “Tim, with this I could conquer all the weeds in town.”

I chuckled and said, “We’ll start with Dockside Park but, your kingdom will soon expand to the new community center. There are manuals for all the gear in the front. Take the truck back to the barn and get it settled. Make a list of hand tools you think you’ll need like rakes, shovels and wheelbarrows. File all the manuals and paperwork, and I’ll see you and the guys back at the office a little after ten.”

Philip got in the truck, fired it up and took off driving gingerly with his load of precious machines.

Ken Johnston said, “He looked like a kid who just got his whole Christmas list.”

I said, “I met him in DeKalb doing lawns and light landscaping with a beat up old truck, a load of hand tools and a push mower. I can’t wait to see what he can accomplish with some real gear.”

 

I returned to my truck and Tommy asked, “Where to next?”

I looked at the clock, and it was ten after eight. “I need to get back to the house and get the group moving for the Big Sandy Memorial.”

I took off from Ingersoll and headed back to the house. Tommy leaned against me and I put my arm around him.

He was quiet as I maneuvered through morning traffic but finally said, “I like this.”

“Riding around with me?”

“Having some time with you. I know you’ve got numerous kids, and they all want attention so, getting some time with you is a treat.”

I said, “Knowing you, it was the only way to keep you off that ankle.”

“It’s not that bad.”

I gave Tommy a little squeeze and said, “It gave me a good excuse to keep you close. I like spending time with all the boys but, you and Larry are special.”

Tommy asked, “I can understand Larry. He’s Mr. Muscles, but I’m scrawny and certainly not the cutest boy in the harem.”

“It’s not all about looks Tommy. I was pretty scrawny when I was your age. If David Bridges hadn’t adopted me as a surrogate little brother in seventh grade, I don’t know what I would have done.”

Tommy said, “You… you set up Little Dave and Karl!”

“Not really. They were both at a point where they were needed to meet somebody. Little Dave is remarkably like his older cousin: good and gentle natured. He’ll be a good for Karl. To be honest, Karl is a lot like I was at that age: shy and taciturn. I think they’ll be good for each other.”

Tommy asked, “What’s taciturn?”

“It means he doesn’t say much. Little Dave will cure him of that. Karl will have to talk in self-defense or Little Dave will chew his ears off.”

Tommy laughed and said, “I can see that. Karl and I are friends, and he’s been different since he started going to the Game Zone. You could never call him outgoing but, I can tell he’s a lot happier.”

We pulled into my driveway and I parked. “Having friends will do that for you Tommy. His mother is one of my cousins. I have no idea how we lost track of her. Life happens, I guess. I get the idea Karl has been feeling disconnected for a while after moving here and his Mom being gone so much. Getting to know some people and having some friends is good for him.”

 

vi.

I found Maria in the kitchen talking to Dr. Patrick and a younger man who I guessed was a resident and said, “Dr. Patrick, welcome to my home.”

He said, “Maria was just telling me how your flock has increased. I’m glad I brought reinforcements. This is Doctor Mark St. James. He’s a resident from Vanderbilt in psychiatry working at County Hospital, and I volun-told him that the work here would be interesting.”

I shook Doctor St. James hand and said, “Welcome Doctor. We have been adding people. I’ve promised Maria to find her some help in my copious spare time that doesn’t actually exist.”

Maria said, “It can be very busy but, it’s fun.”

Dr. Patrick said, “I understand you have a room ready for us to do interviews?”

“I do. If you’ll follow me, I’ll show you where you gentlemen can set up. Maria, the boys going to the Big Sandy Memorial should be along shortly. Tell them to gather in the gym, and I’ll be with them soon.”

As the two Doctors followed me I said, “I wasn’t expecting a second Doctor but, it is a welcome surprise. I’ve got a room set up similar to the one Doctor Harris had when he was helping me put my head back together after Dad died.”

Dr. Patrick asked, “So, you’ve been in therapy?”

“It was short. Just a matter of getting out of the funk that came over me after losing both my parents so close together. I had an older brother but, cancer got him too. I was aware that Dad was going to leave me a sizable inheritance after he passed but, I had no idea how large until after he was gone. I could have joined the idle rich, but Dad didn’t raise me that way. I graduated with a degree in electrical engineering so, I expected to work for a living.”

They followed me into the first floor part of the wing we had been expanding into upstairs. The rooms on this floor were larger, and there were fewer of them. I didn’t use this part of the house and kept it closed most of the time. I was already rethinking that.

I opened the door and Doctor Patrick had a look around. There was a desk, a couple of comfortable chairs and a couch. Maybe a psychiatrist having a couch was a stereotype but, I ran with it. The room was nice but understated with some of my mother’s art on the walls and a nice Persian style rug. It wasn’t the real thing— anything that expensive belongs on a wall in a frame.

Doctor St. James chuckled and said, “I’ve seen a lot worse interview rooms in private practice.”

Dr. Patrick said, “Yes, this should do nicely.”

I said, “We weren’t really expecting you until nine. When do you want to get started?”

Dr. Patrick indicated one of the chairs and said, “Right now if you have a moment.”

I sat on the couch and the two doctors sat in the chairs. Dr. Patrick took the lead, “Tim, what do you hope for us to accomplish?”

“I’m not certain how well Dr. St. James is briefed so, I’ll be succinct. Everyone here is gay or bisexual. Most of these guys have been abused in some way— even the adults. With the AIDS epidemic, they simply don’t have ten or twenty years to party, grow up and get their heads together. The behaviors that go with an abusive history— risky sex and drugs in particular are likely to kill them. What I’m trying to do with Dr. Chang’s help is to educate them about the disease, safe sex and how they can avoid getting infected. The other side of the problem is behavioral. This isn’t the seventies anymore, and we can’t afford to act like it is.”

St. James looked surprised and, Patrick said, “I told you he’s a sharp one Mark.”

I continued and said, “Some of this is court ordered. Judge Vinson wants Rodney, Matty, Joey, Ray, Walt, Juan and Brian to be seen and evaluated. Another large chunk of work will be the ones Andrew Lawrence abused. My expectations are probably more realistic than you are used to. I’m not like parents that want you to give them a magic pill to make them straight. What I’m specifically looking for is to identify and treat the ones showing signs of Post-Traumatic Stress. My understanding is that gets worse with time and can lead to serious problems later on. The others, well, you guys are the psychiatrists, and you will know best what they’ll need after you get to know them a little. I have already been treating them after a fashion.”

St. James looked alarmed but Patrick just smiled.

“First: they’re having their physical needs met. They’ve all seen Dr. Chang, they’re eating regularly, clothed and have a place to stay. Second: they’re safe. I have a security team of five, including myself and two professionals that look after them. Third: they know they are wanted and loved here. Fourth: I’m doing what I can to help build their self-esteem by giving them jobs to do and goals to achieve. Fifth: most of them don’t understand it yet but, they’re becoming part of something bigger than themselves.”

St. James made a small sound of astonishment, and Dr. Patrick chuckled and shook his head.

Patrick asked, “Mark, when we treat our patients, what is the one critical point of failure we have to deal with in almost every single case?”

The younger doctor said, “We almost always have to send patients back to the same toxic environment that screwed them up in the first place. Here, we’re dealing with a man who just took out Maslov’s Hierarchy of needs and bludgeoned us with it. Mr. Shepherd, are you sure you’re not a psychologist?”

I said, “You don’t have to be a psychologist to use psychology. It’s simple: feed them, protect them, love them, challenge them and help them find their place.”

Dr. Patrick gave me a crafty look and said, “Tim, you mentioned they are part of something bigger than themselves. I sense you have a plan in mind, and Dr. Chang has alluded to it in our conversations. Would you mind letting us in on it?”

I said, “It’s actually four plans all rolled into one. First— we put a firewall between us and AIDS. We do that with education, testing and hopefully, getting the guys through their hormonal teen years without being exposed. Second— we build a family of sorts where the kids are never too far away from trusted peers. I modeled this on my own extended family where there was always a cousin or an uncle close by. Third— I plan to give them the best possible education and prepare them for adulthood and careers. That’s what the Game Zone, the Red and the Blue teams are all about. Finally, when they are ready, they will be at the core of companies we will build to take advantage of market conditions and technological opportunities.”

St. James asked, “What are the Red and the Blue teams?”

I said, “So far there are three teams. Game Zone is the Green Team. It’s basically for getting them used to workplace stuff like being on time, getting along with customers and co-workers, working shifts and task lists. It’s also to teach basic management and supervisory skills. Red Team is training up to be a small telecom company that installs phone systems for mid-sized institutions like hospitals and hotels. Blue Team is focused of facilities management. In the current climate of privatization, a company that can come in and run things like city parks can do well. We can certainly do it a lot cheaper than the city could with the way they have to work with low-bids and big payrolls.”

St. James stood, pulled out his wallet and handed Patrick a bill. He said, “I was dead wrong about you Mr. Shepherd. When I heard about what your kids had been through, I thought a residential treatment facility was the only place for them. After meeting you and hearing you out, I think this is probably the best place for them. In fact, I don’t think it is being done better anywhere.”

 

vii.

I met a somber group of boys in the gym. In addition to Aaron and Adam, Toby, Cole, Alan, Barry, Brandon, Larry and Tommy were waiting. They looked sharp. The day shift boys: Toby, Cole, Brandon, Larry and Barry, were dressed to go in to work in white tennis shorts and green Game Zone shirts. The night shift guys, Aaron, Adam and Tommy were dressed in khakis and sports shirts.

Adam looked at me with a sad smile, and I pulled him and Aaron into a hug. No one had to be invited. The other boys joined in, and we held the two brothers.

Aaron said, “We’re OK. The worst of it hit while you were in the hospital. Everybody was great to us, especially these guys.” He indicated the boys surrounding them and said, “It brought us all closer together.”

I said, “I wanted to hug you before we got there, so I wouldn’t embarrass you in public.”

Adam said, “Hug us whenever you like. Dad was never like that and, we both dig it.”

Toby said, “Dad gives great hugs. Cole and I have already loaded the painting in the van.”

“If everybody is ready, let’s go.”

The group moved to the van. I noticed that Tommy was moving better but still favoring his ankle.

I opened up the van, let the boys in, fired it up and headed toward Big Sandy Baptist Church.

The neighborhood called Big Sandy got its name from a belt of big, rolling sandy hills that straddled the city limits on the south side of town. They were left there by a glacier that crawled down from the mountains and carved up the terrain a couple million years ago. The science of it was fascinating as the sand started out sixty miles to the north and was finally deposited here when the ice age ended and the glacier melted.

Big Sandy Road ran right down the middle of it and the medium-sized Baptist church was built on a scenic graded hilltop nestled in a pine forest. Adam directed me to a favored part of the parking lot where the van was less likely to be blocked in.

We were a little early and there wasn’t a crowd when we got out of the van. Toby and Cole took the painting out of the back of the van and Aaron directed them to where they could meet up with the church staff. The rest of the boys followed me, and we hung out close to the front of the church in the shade.

The Big Sandy Baptist Church was beautiful. It consisted of three main buildings: the big church sanctuary, a smaller chapel and a big brick building that ran behind and connected the other two. The church and chapel were white A-frames with red tiled roofs and much stained-glass. There were trees on the campus and many flowering shrubs like dogwood and mountain laurel. The space between the church, chapel and main building was a rectangle shaped green covered by a large tent. I could see people moving around inside indicating that would be where the event would be held. Baptists sure love their tents.

I saw some familiar faces in the crowd from Andrew’s Red Book and had to wonder if they knew who among them had been involved. From what Toby and Brandon had said, he used the boys to recruit each other. Some weren’t as involved with Andrew as others. Cocaine and blow jobs were powerful recruiting tools.

I gave Brandon a look, and he understood. He nudged Toby, they had a quiet word and began to mingle in the crowd.

Larry looked perplexed and asked quietly, “Was that about Andrew?”

I said, “Yeah. If we can get them to talk to Doctor Patrick, they are off the hook. Otherwise, detectives are going to catch up with them, and that could be awkward.”

Larry nodded.

Over the course of the next fifteen minutes, Larry, Toby and Brandon introduced me to four more of Andrew’s boys: Seth Wilder fourteen, Angelo “Angel” Denardo sixteen, Adrian Moss sixteen and Gary Jones fifteen. They all fit Andrew’s profile: cute, young and a little too innocent to figure out what a snake he was until they were in too deep. Angelo was particularly handsome looking a lot like the actor Scott Baio. That bastard Nobles had orphaned Angel and Gary.

All had quiet words with my kids and looked at me, hopefully. I told them that we lived close to Dockside Park and ran the Game Zone. They were welcome to visit and could catch up with us.

Aaron and Adam returned to our group and greeted the other boys and a few girls warmly. When nine o’clock approached, the parking lot filled up. Sheriff Hollingsworth and several of his deputies arrived as did Chief Dodd.

Finally, a young man in jeans and a sports shirt came out and said, “Welcome to our Memorial. I’m Reverend Mike Honeycutt, interim pastor for Big Sandy Baptist Church. I’d like to begin with a moment of prayer.”

Everyone lowered their eyes and got quiet as he said a short prayer, asked the lord to bless the people, comfort the congregation and let this be a time of healing.

I wasn’t expecting what I saw. The funerals had been earlier in the week. I had been in the hospital and missed them. This was a memorial of the people they were missing. There were a number of tables around the edge of the tent with chairs in the middle. Each table had one picture of the deceased or two pictures of the couples that had died.

We stopped at the Pate’s memorial with Aaron and Adam. They were a middle-aged couple Aaron senior and his wife Linda. There were pictures of the boys, the family at church activities and a bouquet of Dutch Irises: Linda’s favorite flowers.

Adam nearly broke my heart when he reached out and touched the picture and choked out, “Mama.”

Aaron put his arm around his little brother and they both sobbed. I put my hand on both their shoulders to show my support. They didn’t cry but, that’s how the first ten or fifteen minutes were: raw, emotional and cathartic as we circulated and visited each table.

Reverend Honeycutt asked everyone to be seated for the remembrance: something I was unfamiliar with. The crowd sat quietly and different people, friends and family of the deceased, spoke of the departed. This went on for a while. I lost track. Finally, when the momentum slowed, Honeycutt spoke and began to bring the proceedings to a close.

“Today we mourn the loss of many good people, but let us remember that they died in the Lord’s grace. Celebrate their lives and the time we had together with them in the sure and certain hope of the resurrection. Lastly, before we depart, a young artist of amazing talent has brought us a beautiful reminder that we will see them again. This painting will go in our foyer in remembrance of both the pain of loss and our faith in the eternal love of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Toby’s painting was brought out to gasps of astonishment and more than a few tears. It was set on an easel, so the crowd could view it.

Honeycutt said, “Our choir will sing the Old Rugged Cross, and we will be dismissed. May the Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace. Amen.”

When it was over, all four of the boys who had been involved with Andrew met us at the van.

Gary Jones said, “Mr. Shepherd, if you can keep us out of Andrew’s mess, you’re my new favorite super-hero.”

I said, “That part is arranged. All you guys have to do is sit down and talk to a shrink. He’s set up to see the boys Andrew was involved with every Friday at my place.”

Angel Denardo said, “I sure don’t need any more drama than I’ve already got. I don’t even know what’s supposed to happen to me. I’m staying with an old couple from the church but, Dad’s family are all still in the old country, and I wouldn’t begin to know where to start looking for Mom’s family.”

I said, “If you boys have some time, we can get you to see Dr. Patrick and, talk to you about getting you some work, and how we can help.”

Angel looked a question to his friends and one by one they nodded. He said, “I have my car here. Can I follow you?”

Aaron said, “These guys need to get to work. Why don’t I ride with you Angel and show you the way to Tim’s house?”

I said, “That will work. I’ll be at the house right after I drop off Brandon, Toby, Cole, Larry and Barry.”

 

viii.

I dropped the day-shift boys off at the Game Zone and, took Adam, and Tommy back to my house.

On the way home, Adam asked, “What are you going to do about Angel, Seth and the other guys? They’re all really nice.”

I said, “You want more brothers Adam?”

He blushed and said, “They’re all pretty cool in their own way. I’ve always liked Angel. Everybody does.”

Tommy said, “Angel has a lot of charisma. You give him a spot in the Game Zone and the whole place will be in love with him in an hour tops.”

I said, “We’ll see. I’ll try to help but, I can’t promise anything at this point.”

I parked the van in my driveway near a familiar four-door Mercedes. I’d seen it around before, but I couldn’t place it. They were uncommon in Lakeview but not exceptionally rare. As we got out of the van, I helped Tommy step down gently, and he said quietly, “Angel is special Tim. His folks had a lot of money, but he never had a rich boy attitude. In fact, he reminds me a lot of you.”

I chuckled and said, “I’m living proof that your parents can be loaded, and the kids can be completely clueless about it.”

We were met by the smell of Marie’s cooking before we even made it to the kitchen. Once inside, Marie and Tony were talking very fast, very animated the way Italians are when they are excited. I must have looked poleaxed because Tony turned to me and started laughing and, Marie hugged Angel… like her long, lost nephew.

Tony said, “Tim, meet my little cousin Angel. We haven’t seen him in years.”

Angel said, “I would have known Aunt Marie anywhere. We were all at my parent’s funeral but the crowd was so big we didn’t see each other.”

“Tony, your little cousin is a few inches taller than you. I take it you got separated when you had to move?”

Marie said, “Angel is my sister Anna’s boy. We lost track when we moved the second or third time. I had meant to look her up but, I just got back to town.”

Angel said, “Don’t blame yourself Aunt Marie. We moved into the new house in Big Sandy a couple of years ago. It was Mom’s dream house and Dad surprised her with it on a Mother’s Day. No one could have foreseen what happened last Saturday night. It was a big, ugly surprise for everybody. I’m just glad someone I’m related to is still around.”

I said, “Angel, I’m helping Aaron and Adam get their legal matters and estates squared away. Since I’ve already got a trustworthy attorney working on it, would you like his assistance?”

He gave Marie a questioning look, and she said, “Yes, you most certainly do. Of all the people I’ve ever met, Mr. Shepherd is the most honorable, bar none.”

Tony said, “She’s right. Sometime when you’ve got a few hours, let’s sit down with a glass of Chianti, and I’ll tell you some stories about Tim. If Tim’s got your back, you’ve got nothing to worry about.”

Angel looked at me and asked, “Do you have my back?”

I said, “If you are family to Tony and Marie, you are family to me too.”

 

Angel was a most appropriate nickname for Angelo Denardo. He was a lot like Tony. Once he decided that he liked you, he had a very pleasing warm and sunny disposition. Joey and Matty came into the kitchen, doubtless grazing for cookies. They were done after sitting with Doctor’s Patrick and St. James and an earlier visit with Dr. Chang. Matty was not happy about the puncture he had from his blood test but was eager to show off his Scooby-Doo band-aid. Joey was a lot cooler about his Flash Band-Aid. He really wanted the Hulk.

I noted how Angel interacted to the boys, and how they reacted to him. When Joey first laid eyes on Angel, he smiled brightly and Angel blushed. I knew where I had seen that Mercedes before: yesterday at City Park.

Matty was usually quiet with strangers but, Angel’s demeanor and warmth melted his reserve like butter on a hot biscuit. Joey said that Rodney and Ray had started out with Dr. Patrick first thing, and the Shrinks had seen Joey and Matty as soon as they were returned from Dr. Chang’s office.

I asked, “Where are the other guys who came with Angel?”

Tony said, “They’re in the TV room with Rory and Brian.”

I stepped into the TV room where Rory and Brian were chatting amiably with Seth, Adrian and Gary. They seemed to all know each other from school and were getting along just fine.

Joey said, “Dr. Patrick has a sign-in list. He’s spending thirty to forty-five minutes with everybody. Juan and Walt are in there now, so it would be a good idea to knock on the door and sign in.”

Adrian, a cute boy with olive skin and black, curly hair asked, “Rory, you said you live here and Mr. Shepherd is your guardian. What happened?”

Rory looked a question at Brian who nodded. Then he said, “that’s a long story and, we’ll tell you but, Tim has to get to the opening of the park.’ He looked at me and asked, “Do they need to see Dr. Chang? I can call him and get them seen right after lunch.”

“Yeah. If they are going to work with us, they need the physical. Rory, if you wouldn’t mind taking care of this it’ll sure help me out. We’re going on an overnight to my place in the country if you would like to join us. A bus will leave from the Game Zone parking lot after three and another just after eleven.”

Before I could escape, Joey, Matty and Angel all wanted my attention, so they followed me into my office. Once we got there, Matty said, “Dr. Patrick said I should talk to you. He said to mention the kids you talked to in the hospital for him.”

“OK Matty. We’ll do that right now. What on your mind Joey?”

Joey looked serious and said, “There’s something you need to know Tim. I know you saw Angel’s car at the park yesterday. There aren’t too many Mercedes around and, I know you have to be wondering if he were one of my tricks.”

I said, “It’s none of my business and, if you two do anything consensually, it’s not illegal. Joey, I wanted to get you out of that park before something awful happened to you and, from what you told me about some of those tricks, it was bad enough.”

Joey said, “Yeah, I’m glad I don’t have to do that anymore. I did meet a few good guys there: you for starters and, Angel. He’s been showing up almost every day with food making sure I had something to eat. He’s like you: too decent to do anything but, good-hearted enough to help. I just wanted you to know, and we would like for him to be one of our big brothers.”

I smiled and said, “Angel, you come highly recommended: Marie, Tony and now Joey.”

Matty said, “And me too. He’s really nice.”

Angel knelt and pulled the two boys into a hug and said, “Don’t think I wasn’t tempted Rebel, I mean Joey. I just didn’t think it would be right. Too many people were already taking advantage of you, and I care about you.”

Joey beamed at Angel and said, “I know you do. You don’t know how many times seeing you driving up was the best part of my whole day. Tim, would it be bad if I gave Angel a blow job?”

Angel objected, “Joey! I’m three years older than you.”

I said, “Joey— you don’t have to do it with anybody unless you want too. But remember: that includes Angel wanting to as well. Oh and Angel, there’s nothing wrong about it. You would probably be one of the younger people Joey has been with.”

Joey looked at the bulge in Angel’s jeans and said, “So, do you wanna?”

Angel blushed an astonishing shade of red.

I said, “Probably best if you waited until after Angel sees Dr. Chang but, that won’t be long. Why don’t you guys go hang out with the rest, I think Matty has something he wants to talk to me about.”

Angel and Joey wandered back toward the TV room and Matty closed the door after them. He came to me and sat in my lap like he belonged there. I put my arms around him and said, “What’s up Matty?”

Matty said, “I wanted to tell Dr. Patrick everything but, when I tried to say it, it just wouldn’t come out. He tried to tell me it wasn’t my fault, I know in my head it wasn’t my fault but somehow my heart didn’t get the message.”

“You’re feeling guilty and ashamed.”

He nodded.

“Matty, it’s going to be hard but, you need to tell the story. The Cops will hound you for it and, the sooner you tell it, the better, and you can get on with your life. Do you trust me enough to tell the story?”

He said, “I do but, I’m afraid you won’t like me afterwards.”

“No chance of that. You and Joey seem to be a matched set. I understand better than most that being a gay kid is tricky. All you ever hear about gay people and being gay is bad news but, if you are, you know it. No one gives you a brochure with helpful hints but, you’ve got a monster sex drive, and you aren’t sure what to do about it. It’s no wonder many kids run into trouble. You can trust me to be on your side in this.”

Matty said, “I used to be friends with Jake’s son before his wife divorced him and moved to Florida. Anyway… I’ve known him pretty much forever, and he and my Dad worked on things at the church and were friends. He was always nice to me. Things changed last summer. Jake was the swimming coach at the YMCA. I could tell that he liked me, and I flirted with him. Me and some of the boys were already fooling around and, one day after practice, he caught us jerking each other off. He just told us it was cool, many boys our age did that and to just be more careful about getting caught.”

“One day when I was at the ‘Y’, my Dad called and asked Jake to keep me for a few days because my grandmother had been in a bad wreck and Mom and Dad had to go to Charlotte for a while. That’s when we started doing it, and I really liked it. I mean I really, really liked it. We screwed around together for almost a solid week. After my parents got back, we snuck around and got together whenever we could. I think Dad got suspicious when he saw my bike at Jake’s house when I was supposed to be somewhere else. He and Mom confronted me and Jacob at my house during Christmas break. Dad pulled a gun and he and Jake wrested over it. It went off and shot Mom, and then it went off again and shot my Dad.”

Matty was upset and began crying and stopped talking while I consoled him.

I said, “You love him don’t you Matty?”

He sobbed, “I love him and I hate him. If we hadn’t, if I hadn’t… oh, this is so messed up. I get hard when I think about being with him and all those nights in cheap hotels when we were on the run. I miss him inside me.”

“Matty, from what you said, Jacob didn’t murder your parents. He’s in the worst kind of trouble facing charges for a double murder. This will be hard for you but, it’ll be a lot worse for you later if you don’t tell the truth now.”

He sniffed and said, “It gets worse. When we were on the run, Jake bought a book that had lists of places to cruise. We picked up guys: my age, teenagers and even some college boys. We would drink, smoke weed and fuck around. That’s what we were doing at the Game Zone. We were staying in DeKalb for a few days and saw that it was opening in the paper.”

I said, “You warned off Billy and Robbie.”

He sighed and said, “I don’t know why, but I had a bad feeling. I knew our luck had to be wearing thin.”

“It doesn’t matter Matty.”

He turned and looked at me incredulously and said, “What?”

“It doesn’t matter. Jake was the adult. Jake was driving. Jake had the gun. This whole thing is on Jake because you’re a kid. None of it could or would have happened if not for the choices Jake made, not you.”

Matty was quiet for a moment and said, “That makes sense but, it doesn’t feel that way.”

“You are awfully young to learn this and, it’s a very hard lesson: sometimes bad things happen we don’t intend, and we have to live with the consequences. As much as I would like to make this all go away for you, I can’t. What I can do is stand by you and protect you. What did you and Jake do in DeKalb?”

Matty shifted mental gears and said, “We had been there a couple of days. We would go to an area and check out the sites listed in that book where you can go to pick up guys. We went to a couple of malls and parks in DeKalb and that other little town… Rivervine. Then we came here and found Dockside Park closed and went to the Arcade. That’s where Jake got arrested.”

I asked, “Did you get lucky?”

“A few places are always duds but, the old mall in DeKalb was really hot. The new mall at Rivervine, we couldn’t figure out how it worked there. There’s a park by the river that we picked up a couple of high school boys and went to the hotel.”

“Matty, after hearing what Dr. Chang said about AIDS, how do you feel about that?”

He looked at me sheepishly and said, “Scared. Joey and I did some things but nothing that could hurt him. I won’t do anything with the guys here until I get the test results.”

I tightened the hug I had on Matty and said, “You and Joey have seen a side of gay life that most kids don’t see until they’re older. It can be a lot of fun but, it can also be very dangerous. Cops alone can be bad enough, but you can run into some bad people cruising. You aren’t a bad kid or evil. You weren’t doing anything many other kids aren’t doing or wished they were doing. You just got caught up in Jacob Cole’s drama. None of it was your fault. It’ll take some time for that to soak in but, we’ll be here for you until it does.”

After Matty left to rejoin the rest of the guys in the TV room, I checked my messages. At eight-fifteen Eastern Time, the Good Shepherd Foundation purchased the entirety of Acadia Ridge and several adjacent properties. They also reported the purchases I had them working on in the Valley from back taxes and estate sales. It seemed that I owed my old friend Remy Boudreaux a visit, a good bottle and a long chat very soon. My kin in the Valley would also be pleased to have access to some of the best land there.

 

ix.

I changed into some jeans and a sports shirt and took the short walk to Dockside Park. As I hoped, the place was crowded. There were people from all over the neighborhood milling about looking over the new facilities. Some people had elected to take an early lunch break here and were making good use of the picnic tables with brown bags and take out. Dogs chased Frisbees, kids flew kites, old men fished, girls flirted with boys and women grilled— I could see all the things that I’d hoped for taking place right in front of my eyes.

A modest sized sailboat was tied up at one of the piers. There weren’t many of those around and were seldom seen at the public docks. It was a sweet twenty-footer with her blue and white sails struck and tied off neatly and a pair of bikini clad beauties soaking up the sun.

As I walked up the drive toward the buildings, I got my first glimpse of the media. There was a white van with the logo of the local ABC affiliate from DeKalb. A member of the crew had a portable video camera taking background shots of the park.

I spotted David Bridges towering above the crowd near the gazebo, so I headed his direction. As I approached, I saw Mayor Renner, Chief Dodd, and Sheriff Hollingsworth all chatting amiably with what had to be Chip Daniels.

Randy was right. I did know him. If I failed to recognize him from television, I certainly would have from seeing him at Lady Devine’s, Dr. Chang’s office, Stacy’s Style and the malls at DeKalb and Rivervine. He was a tall, rangy brunette with warm brown eyes. He was a good-looking young man with a face well suited for television and a voice just as amenable to radio.

As I approached David saw me, waved and said something I couldn’t hear. I think it must have been a warning because the Mayor Sarah Renner descended on me.

“Tim! When you said you guys were going to do something about this park, I can’t believe you got all of this done in a week. This is wonderful!”

Chief Dodd said, “How did you guys get this done so quickly?”

I said, “I think David is in a better position to answer that question. He’s the contractor that actually executed the work.”

David said, “When I was studying Civil Engineering, I worked for the Army Corp of Engineers in their Labs in Vicksburg as a student intern. They were doing a lot of work with new mixtures of concrete and construction methods. I knew this would be very useful and have been working on it ever since. The Army uses this stuff but, so far, there have been very few civilian applications for it. I have been working on it for years getting the methods down and my crew trained to work with it.”

Daniels asked, “So you used experimental methods?”

David said, “No. We’ve been doing the experimentation off and on for the last couple of years. We have the methodology down cold. We’ve already done some private construction using this method but, this is our first public contract that allowed us to use the materials and methods we’ve been developing. If we had used standard methods, this job would have taken about a month and cost four times as much. As it stands, we started Monday morning and are opening on the following Friday.”

The young reporter asked, “What did you build?”

David grinned and said, “We built a pool and a support building identical to this one at a summer house about an hour north of here so, we had already done one. What took the most time was to raze the old building and clear the surrounding brush. The pool and buildings were up and cured in a day. The fixtures and finishing were easily accomplished.”

The reporter asked, “Is it safe?”

“This original purpose of this mixture of concrete was to build bunkers and fortifications quickly for our forces deployed with NATO. It was developed to be easily formed, set quickly, and six inches of the stuff will stop a five hundred pound bomb cold. In our experimentation with it, we discovered that we had to have all of our ducks in a row before we started pouring, or it would set up before we could finish. We’re the only contractor I know of that has taken the time, expense and effort to develop the methodology and skills to work with these materials. We can do this sort of work faster and cheaper than anybody else. Next week we finish with the St. Luke’s Community Center. Then you’ll see what we’re really capable of.”

Daniels asked, “Mr. Shepherd, you are listed as project engineer. What was your role?”

I said, “I did the overall layout and design for the park and the community center, and the plan for the electrical and security systems.”

“I’m Sam Gentry, Mayor of DeKalb. You guys have done a remarkable job with this place. What type of security systems do you have in place?”

I said, “We have cameras that record everything that happens here day and night. If we have any complaints or incidents, we can provide the video record of the event for the police. It also protects us from vandalism because there’s a video record of everything— sometimes from multiple angles. We were prompted to act because of several recent incidents, and we want people to know that this is a safe place to play and a bad place to screw up.”

The interview continued for another few minutes, and then the group took the nickel tour guided by David. I was perfectly content to let David have his moment in the sun.

Although I had seen both DeKalb’s Mayor Sam Gentry and Rivervine’s Mayor Jeffry Hill on the news, I had never met them in person. They were both fascinated by the idea of privatizing the management of the parks and the cost saving that entailed. That had been a longstanding problem they all had keeping their parks and recreation facilities in decent shape.

President Reagan’s idea of privatization of government services was a political earthquake that was still creating aftershocks. The problem with hiring government employees from the federal level down to the county and city levels was the ongoing expense. Even a relatively modest salary added up quickly with benefits attached like retirement packages, health care, annual leave, medical leave, worker's compensation and holidays. A private employer utilizing younger workers with more modest benefits packages than federal or state employees unions would allow could easily do the job much cheaper.

All the police chiefs and the sheriff were pleased to see a skate park. Kids on skateboards in the downtown parts of all three towns were becoming a time-wasting headache for law enforcement. Providing them with a destination where they could skate to their hearts content and not annoy business owners would save kids and cops alike a lot of grief.

Where we won them over completely was when we passed the pool. Eight kids were splashing around playing and Charlie was sitting in the lifeguard stand keeping a close eye on them. One of the Knight twins was in the water with two little kids patiently teaching them how to swim. Two young women were parked in lounge chairs watching who I presumed were mothers.

Philip, Bobby and Zeke came down the path from the office that ran beside the pool and I introduced them to the group.

Philip said, “Mr. Callahan from the Red Cross was here this morning. He gave us the tests, and we’re all Red Cross certified for First Aid and Lifeguard duty. I filed the papers in each of our personnel folders.”

Bobby said, “Mr. Callahan is the same guy who taught those courses when we were in the Scouts so, he knew all of us except for Philip.”

Suddenly, everyone was looking at me and I said, “We have two needs here in the park: taking care of the grounds and taking care of our guests.” Out of the corner of my eye I saw two elderly people, one on a walker, approaching, and I guessed that it was Philip’s grandparents. I indicated the kids in the pool with my thumb and said, “It’s obvious that these guys are the right people for the job. I met Philip here doing lawn and landscape work out of an ancient truck in DeKalb yesterday. What he’s doing here isn’t much more demanding.”

Chip Daniels asked, “What do you consider the requirements necessary for this kind of work?”

“I want our workers to be at least sixteen. I’d like for them to have a driver’s license but, that’s not completely necessary. Having some skills from the Scouts or other youth organizations like first aid and lifesaving are a big plus. I have them all take a physical, so we know they’re physically capable, and I like for them to smart. What sold me on Philip was his initiative— he was already doing what we need. Part of any job is learning what is required, learning the skills and procedures necessary and then applying that knowledge. I’m lucky to have the five that I’ve got here.”

Sam Gentry said, “No fair, you poached Philip from DeKalb.”

Philip grinned and said, “Last night when I met Mr. Shepherd and asked him if he needed any work done, I thought I would be mowing a big lawn or cleaning out flower beds. This is a lot bigger than I had in mind but, I like a challenge.”

I said, “We here in the States tend to undervalue our teenagers. We consider them to be bigger children but, they’re more capable than that. Kids this age did the lion’s share of the fighting in our Civil War a little more than a hundred years ago. I don’t want to denigrate our schools. I went to those schools not so long ago. They don’t a good job of preparing teenagers for the workforce. In a few more years when these guys go to college and get adult jobs, they’ll have a leg up in the workplace because they’ve already been there.”

Jeffry Hill of Rivervine said, “Mr. Shepherd, if you have any political ambitions, I’d like to vote for you.”

“I’m not interested in political office, at least at this point in my life. Government is so constrained with rules and regulations; it’s a wonder you guys ever get anything done. I can do more good in the private sector.”

Mayor Renner said, “I’m delighted we have young men like Tim and David in Lakeview. They’re both native sons, very talented, accomplished, and I’m sure we’ll be seeing quite a lot about their accomplishments in the years to come.”

David and I talked to the Mayors about the parks in the various towns that needed attention. They were all startled when we talked numbers. David’s construction methods could do wonders at cutting the time required to get the jobs done. The time savings also meant less labor. Site preparation was the most time-consuming part of the job.

I talked to Sarah Renner about City Park and told her that it wouldn’t be as miraculous or fast a job as Dockside Park, and we had to wait until the St. Luke’s Community Center was done. City Park wasn’t broad, but it was quite long, and I had to do some thinking and planning about how to make the best use of the space.

There really wasn’t much of a ceremony. Our Mayor simply handed a framed certificate to Philip as his grandparents looked on and beamed with delight. It would go on the wall in the office. The gathering broke up shortly thereafter with the time-honored ritual of exchanging business cards.

Big Dave excused himself and went back to the St. Luke’s site, the TV crew packed up, and I invited Chip Daniels to join us for lunch back at the house. With Philip, Tommy and Charlie in tow, Bobby and Zeke took over lifeguard duties, we began to head back to the house and whatever it was Marie had cooking that smelled so good.

On the way, someone called my name. I turned to see Karl, his Mom Monica Henderson-Carter, Little David Bridges and Rebecca Holloway heading my way. Although I hadn’t seen her in since I was younger than Karl, I would have known her anywhere. She was a dead ringer for her mother, my Aunt Jean. She was wearing jeans and sensible shoes so; she had changed since she got home from the plane.

Little Dave and Karl ran toward me, and I noted a look of surprise on Monica’s face. Karl wasn’t being his usual laconic self. He was smiling a laughing alongside Little Dave as they covered the distance between us.

The two of them crashed into me, Little Karl saying, “Tim, Tim! Mom knows you! She showed me a picture of you when you were little.”

I said, “Easy guys! Of course, she knows me. I was just a lot shorter the last time she saw me. Hi Monica.”

She tried gamely not to laugh but didn’t quite manage it. She shook her head and said, “My goodness Tim. You’re all grown up.”

Becky Holloway laughed and said, “Not that grown up when he’s around these hooligans.”

“Welcome to the new Dockside Park. What do you think?”

Monica looked around and said, “I saw in the paper last weekend that something was going to be done to it but, I never dreamed it would happen so fast.”

Little Dave said, “My cousin David and Tim were the brains behind this. They did the work here and are still working on the St. Luke’s Community Center. Tim did the design layouts and my cousin's company did the work. It’s like it a whole new place now. My cousin said it’ll make the property values in these neighborhoods go up.”

Monica asked, “Are you a contractor Tim?”

“No, I’m an engineer. So is David Bridges. His company is just getting good traction.”

She said, “With a showpiece like this, I’m convinced.”

I introduced Monica to the small crowd, and we decided that it would be a brilliant idea to continue to head to my house for lunch.

Chip was quiet as we headed up the trail toward my house and I noticed him stiffen when he got a good look at it.

Monica said, “I thought would get rid of the place after your parents passed.”

I said, “I thought I would too. I traveled some to look at some places where I might relocate but, I didn’t find any place else I wanted to live. They were nice places but, they just weren’t home.”

Chip asked, “Where else did you look?”

“I looked in the South first: Memphis, New Orleans and Atlanta. Then I looked up North and out West. I’m just not an urban guy.”

Chip asked, “Was there anywhere that tempted you?”

“Yeah. I like the Gulf Coast: parts of Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas but, I’ve got roots here. Well, that and hurricanes are a real pain. I didn’t know just how important family was until my immediate family was gone. Believe it or not, Vernon Porter and his family are two blocks over from you. His son Alan is a couple of years older than Karl and Lee Henderson works at the Game Zone.”

Monica said, “Lee is here! My goodness. How old is he now?”

“He’s eighteen, just graduated, and I gave him his first job off the farm. He’s an impressive young man.”

Karl said with a twinkle in his eye, “Lee is really cool. He and his brothers have a pet bear.”

I nearly choked on my garlic bread. I was just beginning to appreciate the wit hidden behind Karl’s laconic facade. There was a real character in there.

 

Lunch was delicious. Marie had made spinach and sausage manicotti and served it with salad and garlic bread. Monica and Marie hit it off from the start. She could see that Karl was in good company. She gave her permission for Karl to continue working at the Game Zone and to accompany us to Arrowhead. I couldn’t wait to see Jean’s surprise when her grandson arrived.

During lunch, Monica’s story began to unwind. Derrick Carter, her former husband had been no prize at all. As Monica’s career took off, he became insecure and controlling. Monica was on her way up and Derrick had been stuck in middle management of a moribund company circling the drain. The better she did, the worse it became until she decided it was intolerable. If you marry a lawyer, you really should know better. She kicked him to the curb shortly before one of the senior partners in the firm she worked for got caught up in a pyramid scheme and the firm splintered. One of the surviving senior partners and several associates formed their own firm and rose from the ashes.

Monica was a lot like me. Atlanta was a nice place to do business, but she didn’t really want to live there. She bought her house in Lakeview and commuted weekly to a condo in Buckhead. Karl was such an independent little guy, she didn’t worry too much about him staying there during the week until the news spread of Charley Dalton and the Mad Preacher. She was absolutely delighted that family was much closer than she thought, and steps were being taken to make the community safer for kids. After lunch, Monica and Becky departed after we exchanged telephone and pager numbers.

 

x.

Chip Daniels and I went upstairs to the sun room for a talk. I asked him if we were on the record, and he shook his head. Chip said, “This isn’t an interview. In the interest of full disclosure, I’m seeing a Lakeview cop. Let’s just say he’s really impressed with you and encouraged me to get to know you. He said you would be good for me.”

I chuckled and said, “So how is Detective Monroe?”

Chip looked so shocked, I actually felt bad for him.

He sputtered, “How did you…”

“Relax Chip. I didn’t know. It was a good guess. I could just imagine the two of you together: an intrepid young reporter and a gritty detective. I’d buy that paperback and read it over and over. I never, ever out anybody. Growing up in the South, I know that’s like dropping a nuke on somebody— mutually assured destruction. You just don’t do it.”

“Tom is so deep in the closet, he’s married.”

I winced and said, “Ouch. I thought his first name was Detective.”

Chip grinned, “I see you’ve met. It’s frustrating. We have to be careful. I know it’s dumb seeing a married guy in his thirties. I have to play second or third fiddle to his family. At least I know he’s safe.”

I said, “That’s a big plus these days. I remember seeing you in Dr. Chang’s waiting room, so I take it you test regularly and have had Chang’s counseling?”

He sighed and said, “I went to school about an hour and a half North of New Orleans and know some guys from down there. What’s happening in the big cities is frightening. Either you are careful or you’re dead.”

“When we were talking about my travels earlier, what I didn’t tell Monica and Becky, I was exploring the gay communities in those cities. What I saw made me sure I wanted to stay here. They were acting like it was seventy-six, not eighty-six.”

“Tell me about it. When I was a junior, I went to New Orleans with some friends for Labor Day. That’s when they have a big party called the Festival of Southern Decadence; now that scared the hell out of me.”

I chuckled and said, “Believe it or not, some of the hardest partying people in the big cities are country boys like us. They grew up in places where the closet was their only option. They get to those cities where they are free to let their hair down and go buck wild. It’s like a Greek tragedy. A lot of them are on a death ride, and they know it. I met Dr. Chang in San Francisco and talked him into relocating here. He was terribly burned out from burying his patients.”

Chip raised an eyebrow and said, “I wondered what he was doing here. There’s like no Asian community here at all.”

“I’m glad to have Lui here. We’re doing our best to prepare people here. What really frightens me is AIDS is a horrible trap it is for gay kids. You know what it’s like to be a gay teen. Sex is a game for us at certain ages— I’ll show you mine if you’ll show me yours and circle jerks are consequence free unless somebody talks. Straight kids are the same way. They’ve got games like seven minutes in heaven or spin the bottle but, they know that pregnancy can be a consequence if they go too far. For us, if we’re very unlucky, it can be a death sentence. Part of what this whole thing is about protecting these kids and giving them the space they need to grow up.”

Chip was silent for too long and finally said, “Tim, you are one of the more interesting people I’ve ever met. You are a lot deeper than just another hot guy I keep seeing around wishing I had an excuse to start a conversation with.”

“What are you doing tonight?”

“I’ve got to write the copy for the Dockside Park story. Other than that, I’m free.”

I grinned and said, “If you want to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes, I’m taking the family to my place in the country for an overnight. I think it would do you some good to let your hair down a bit. Go write your story, pack an overnight bag and come by the Game Zone just before eleven. Tonight will be special. We’re going to play a few games and have some fun.”

 

xi.

I ran into the three A’s in the kitchen: Aaron, Adam and Allen. Those three had become buddies and were adorable together. The long haired, fair skinned blonds Aaron and Adam were quite a contrast with Alan’s darker completion and jet black hair. They all had on Sun Britches and flip-flops and were headed for the new pool.

I said, “Y’all try not to roast in the sun. We fixed it, so there’s always some shade. You guys need any sunscreen?”

Adam produced a bottle from his towel and said, “You don’t have to remind us about that. With our skin, Aaron and I get roasted. I envy Alan. He just gets more and more bronze.”

I said, “Tonight’s your big night Alan. We’ll put your radio show on the sound system at Game Zone on at ten.”

Alan said, “I hope I did OK. I think so but, I sound like a kid.”

“That’s what makes is so cool”, Aaron said. “All the radio guys have deep voices and sound like they’re old and fat. You sound like one of us.”

I said, “Trust me Alan. They’re going to love it. You can’t go wrong playing an hour of Led Zeppelin.”

Alan said, “Fifty-five minutes with breaks at the top and the middle of the hour.”

“See? You’re already thinking like a DJ. You guys know where everybody is?”

Adam said, “Almost everybody is either at the Game Zone, over at the park or waiting their turn to talk to the Docs. I thought that was going to be weird but, it went pretty well.”

Aaron said, “Yeah, Dr. Patrick is easy to talk to once you get past the weirdness of talking about private stuff to someone you’ve never met before. It looks like Bart and Sean are moving in upstairs.”

“That’s cool. See you guys at shift change.”

 

x.

I went upstairs and ran into Sean, Bart and Tommy moving Sean’s stuff into one of the vacant rooms on the 2nd floor.

Sean said, “Hi Tim, this is the last load. I’m completely out of my apartment now.”

“That was quick. Thanks for helping out Tommy”, and noticed that the room he had chosen didn’t have much more than his threadbare couch and a few of his chairs in addition to the basics all the rooms were furnished with.

Bart said, “The apartment manager was sad to see him go. Sean was a good tenet.”

Sean said, “Tim, we really should take a look at my house in DeKalb. It’s full of furniture and other stuff we might need. There’s going to be an estate auction after Mom passes but, there’s stuff in there I know Mom would rather see us use than some random stranger.”

“Why don’t we go after the shift change this afternoon? I think Philip probably needs to make a run to his house too, and I’ll bet you wouldn’t mind seeing your Mom.”

Sean said, “Sounds good to me but, I’m working tonight.”

“We can play hooky for an hour or two.”

Sean asked, “Is it OK that I signed up for a spot to see the Docs?”

I put an arm around Sean and said, “Sean, with everything you’ve got going on, it’s probably a good idea.” Very quietly I added in his ear, “Just keep Tracy out of it.”

He said, “Will do. I’m on the list and I think I can be at the Game Zone by one thirty.”

I said, “I’ll be in and out. I’ve got chores to do but, I’ll see you there. Tommy, you want to ride with me?”

That was a dumb question. If I were driving into the heart of the Sun, Tommy would want to be there. After a short detour by my office to pick up some paperwork, we were out the door.

 

xi.

Before heading to the Game Zone, I paid a brief visit to Dockside Park. There was a swimming pool full of kids under the watchful eyes of the Knight Twins and Zeke. Charlie was keeping an eye on the skate park and was giving pointers to a small flock of elementary aged boys wearing helmets, knee and elbow pads.

I found Philip in his office and said, “We’re going to close up here about five-thirty. Sean needs to go to DeKalb and I wondered if you would like to ride with us.”

“Yeah. I need to get some things from home and want to check on the Grandparents. I’ve got that list of tools we’re going to need. Is there any chance we can go by Sears and pick some of it up?”

“Sure. We’ll drop Sean off, so he can stay with his Mom for a while, and we can run those errands. Sears will deliver, so we’re off the hook for that. We’re on our own for supper. I gave Maria the night off, so we might grab something when we’re over there.”

Phillip said, “We’ve had a few kids come by and ask about work. I took their names and numbers down. There’s one you might know— Mike Porter. He’s Alan’s older brother.”

I said, “What do your instincts tell you about them?”

Phillip looked thoughtful and said, “I think Mike is probably the pick of the litter. He’s a lot like Alan with shorter hair but the same energy. There was another that looked OK but, the last one was just fourteen.”

“Keep those first impressions in mind. When you hire somebody first impressions are important. Ask yourself is this someone I want to work with and, will they do the work or, will I have to stay on them? It’s a tricky management skill to master, and it’s good for you to be thinking about it. We’ll call them back and talk to them after the weekend. I’m going to head over to the Game Zone. Page me if you need me.”

Philip looked up from the pile on his desk and said, “Tim, thank you. You don’t know what it meant to me to see my grandparents proud of me.”

I said, “You were due a break, and I’m glad to be the one that gave it to you. Tonight at Arrowhead, I’m going to tell all the guys about my plan. There’s a method to my madness.”

Phillip said, “Oh crap. I almost forget. Dr. Chang said his nephews will be here this afternoon. If you have no objections, he’ll bring them to the Game Zone, and they can ride up to Arrowhead to get acquainted with us.”

I sighed and said, “The more, the merrier, I suppose. They will be staying with us so, it’ll be a fun way to get to know us.”

 

xii.

When I got back to my truck, Tommy asked, “Back to the Game Zone?”

I cranked up the truck, headed out of my driveway and said, “Yeah. I want to see how things are going, and it's pay day.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. It’s Friday and some of you guys have been on the job since Sunday. I know how much work it was to get those games moved and hooked up.”

Tommy said, “You need to give Matthew and Chance a bonus for that. They figured out how to get the machines running. We didn’t really have a clue about that part.”

“I have something in mind for that. You want to help?”

“Sure.”

I chuckled and said, “Careful what you volunteer for Tommy. Have you got your stuff for Arrowhead?”

He patted his backpack on the floor and I said, “Good. I wouldn’t want you to have to be in the buff for the ceremony.”

 

xii.

We arrived about twelve-thirty. The place was rocking as we pulled around to the employee parking on the side of the building. The parking lot was busy, bike racks were full, and there was even more traffic in and out of the Game Zone and Anders Gym.

I pulled the folder off the back seat and Tommy followed me in through the side door and into the office to find Rory and Frank watching the security monitors and chatting.

“Hi guys. How are things today?”

Frank said, “It looks like we’ve got even more people today.”

Rory said, “I’ve been seeing a lot of school colors from Rivervine and DeKalb so, the word is getting out.”

I sat down in an empty chair and said, “Its payday guys.” I pulled out three envelopes and handed one each to Frank, Rory and Tommy.

They each looked at their checks and Tommy asked, “How can it be this much?”

I said, “I know how much work it was to move the machines in and get the place ready to open so, I gave everybody who worked Sunday through Tuesday a hundred and fifty a day. We started with straight hours on Wednesday and everybody that worked got a chunk from the profit share which was almost two hundred this week. I knew all that math would be good for something someday. Federal, state and social security are deducted so, it’s all legal.”

Rory said, “I’ve never made this much money at one time.”

“Remember, you guys got a nice bump because you helped get ready to open. It won’t be the same next time but, with crowds like this, you might do even better on your profit share. Frank, would you mind driving our guys to the bank in small groups, so they can deposit or cash their checks?”

Frank said, “Sure. It’ll be fun to get out.”

“OK guys. If you don’t mind, let me have the office for a while and send the guys back in small groups. I’ll keep an eye on the monitors.”

They came in ones and twos and I gave them their checks; for some of them, it is their very first paycheck. I explained to them about withholding and how the checks were calculated. For those that didn’t have bank accounts, I told them they should get one. The new guys didn’t get the big move-in bump but were all pleased with what they did get. Everyone was surprised at the profit share prorated from their start date. Roderick and his grill guys were especially pleased at their cut of the grill receipts. Billy and Robbie, my undercover kids, got their very own crisp hundred dollar bills for talking to our younger customers and making sure no one was being victimized. By the time I was done, I had a pleased, motivated day shift.

 

xiv.

After I was done, I kept one eye on the security cams, the other on the clock. Frank had taken several of the guys to the bank and I noticed Joey and Mike, the kid I’d driven home the night before, enter the men’s room. I noticed that Mike had a nice package the night before. I played back the video and could tell he was sporting wood. I waited a minute and went to roust them before some 3rd grader got a peep show.

I walked down the hall, opened the bathroom door quietly and caught Mike on his knees giving Joey a blow job. I said, “Guys, it’s a little too busy to be doing this where you might be caught.”

They both levitated off the floor in surprise. Mike looked like he was considering running, and I said, “Relax, I’m a lot more understanding about these things than most people. Neither one of you is in trouble.” I gently put my hand on Mike’s shoulder and said, “I know how cute and irresistible Joey is. Let me take you somewhere private where you can finish.”

Mike asked, “You mean I’m not going to die?”

Joey said, “Don’t worry Mikie. Tim is really cool about stuff. The day before yesterday he caught me with a trick at the park, and he took me in when Mama got busted.”

I took them down the hall to the lounge and said, “When you need some privacy, come back here. I don’t want you guys to get caught with your pants down by someone that would cause trouble for us.”

Mike asked, “You don’t care?”

I put my arms around both of them and said, “I do care. I love Joey here and, if I didn’t like you Mike, I wouldn’t have driven you home last night. Joey, we need to go to your house to get some of your things. No one will be there so why don’t I drive the three of us over there later this afternoon?”

Joey said, “I’ve got to go there sometime. It’ll be even better with my best friends.”

Mike said, “As long as your mom isn’t there, I don’t mind. She used to be all right but, she’s a real mess now.”

“Mike, you come with me to the office and, Joey, give me a few minutes to talk to Mike here and then bring Rusty and Eddie back.”

Mike followed me to the office and I sat in front of the video monitor. I said, “Mike, I can tell you’re a good kid but, you’re eighteen. There’s a reason they call it jail bait. If someone else had caught you, you would have been in big trouble. How did you get hooked up with boys this young?”

He looked ashamed and said, “We adopted Rusty four years ago. The first night he moved in, I woke up, and he was giving me a blow job— I woke up cumming. Since then, Joey and Eddie came along. I didn’t intend for it to happen but, it’s like I’ve got three horny little brothers now.”

I laughed, “Wow. That’s one hell of an icebreaker. It doesn’t matter how innocently it started, if you get caught, it’ll be very bad for you. Let me guess: when you were their age or maybe younger, someone older molested you?”

Mike asked, “How did you know?”

I said, “It’s your behavior. You’re into risky and impulsive sex, have poor impulse control and you chose partners much younger than yourself. I know you drink and, you don’t really have that under control either. Do you use any harder drugs?”

Mike looked surprised and said, “Just weed. I tried coke a few times but… Dude, how do you know this stuff?”

“Because I’ve been there, done that. I still think the little guys are cute and would do Joey or Rusty in a second but, I want them to love me, not be in love with me— understand?”

“Yeah. I think so. It’s so easy to love them. They’re so sweet and they really do love you.”

“I know. Guys like us, we’re some dudes sex toy when we’re little. We learn to like it, then we grow up and they call us monsters. It’s hard to understand how it works but, it does. It’s an ugly, viscous circle but, there’s a way out. I’ll help you if you let me.”

Mike looked skeptical and asked, “How?”

I smiled at him and said, “I’ll do for you what I’m doing for a couple of other guys in exactly the same situation: protect you, give you the opportunity to grow up some and, find some age appropriate relationships. If you still have the urge, I’ve got a bunch of cute little horn-dogs just like Joey that will eat you up like a school of piranhas. I will require that you get a physical with our Doc and, I have some shrinks I suggest you see. Then, we’re going to be close.”

Mike asked, “How close?”

“As close as you want. Do you want to be one of my boys Mikie?”

He blushed and said, “Yeah. Uhhh… would you teach me some stuff?”

“That’s the idea Mikie. Come here.”

I pulled Mike into my lap. He was stiff at first and then he relaxed as I put my arms around him. “I know you love Joey, Rusty and Eddie but, you need some age appropriate friends and relationships to help you grow up emotionally. It’ll take time and, it won’t make those boys any less cute.”

Mike leaned back and asked conspiratorially, “Could we do some stuff?”

“Mike, you’re a good looking boy. I’ll make you cum so hard you might faint. I’m pretty sure you’ll be popular with my boys.”

“I’ve had opportunities. A couple of guys in the band acted like they were interested, one even sucked me off but, I was afraid of becoming that queer kid everybody hates or catching AIDS.”

“Those are definitely things to be avoided. Here come the boys.”

Mike said, “Fair warning: Rusty and Eddie are crushing on you hard. They bugged me until I brought them in this morning and again this afternoon when we found out when you would be back. You hire them and you’ll have a couple more horn-dogs on your hands.”

He reluctantly stood and changed chairs while I reached the box under the counter and retrieved a couple of Game Zone shirts from the box under the counter. Anticipating their arrival, I walked over to the door and opened it just as Joey knocked.

Rusty and Eddie followed Joey into the office. I hadn’t gotten a great look at them the night before. Rusty was thin framed with pale skin, a little tall for his age, auburn hair and a smattering of freckles. Eddie was a little shorter but was well muscled, tan, had blond hair he wore long in front and brushed back. They were wearing Sun Britches, t-shirts and flip-flops.

I said, “Hey guys, it’s good to see you again. I’ve been talking to Joey and he told me you were his best friends. I’m his new guardian and, I thought I would see if you guys wanted to join our team.” I held up the two Game Zone shirts.

Rusty’s eyes widened and Eddie said, “Yes!”

Eddie rushed me with a hug but, Rusty was a little more reserved. He waited for Eddie to stop bouncing and, he hugged me and held on.

Rusty said, “Mr. Shepherd, I’m really glad you adopted Joey. I’m adopted too so, I know how cool that is. Thank you.”

I pulled Joey into the hug with my other arm and said, “I thank the three of you for helping Joey when he needed it. That was a very good thing and, I won’t forget it.”

Mike said, “Mr. Shepherd is taking all of his guys to his place in the country tonight and he has invited us to join them so we can get to know them.”

Rusty said, “We know a lot of them from school. I know Toby, Cole and Barry and, we’ve seen most of the rest of them around.”

I said, “The next step is you’ve all got to get a checkup. Joey had his this morning. It takes a little time because you get instructed on how to avoid… inconvenient diseases. Our first bus will go to Arrowhead Lodge right after the shifts change. When Rory gets back from taking some of the guys to the bank, we can get that done. Oh yeah, if you need a physical for any sports, it counts for that too.”

Joey said, “You’ll like Dr. Chang. He’s really nice. He has nephews our age too.”

Brandon entered the office, bumped knuckles with Eddie and said, “I was hoping Dad would hire you guys.”

“Brandon, why don’t you introduce these guys around. I’m going to send them for their physical as soon as Rory gets back.”

Brandon smiled and said, “Sure Dad.”

Rusty asked, “I heard you lost your father in an accident. Did Mr. Shepherd adopt you too?”

Brandon smiled and said, “Tim is good about stuff like that. He adopted Toby and me, Joey, Matty, Brian— come on. I’ll introduce you to the day shift.”

 

xiv.

I did some paperwork for a while and Frank and Rory got back with the first group of guys making a bank run. Frank took a second group but, I asked Rory to grab a bite to eat and wait for a group to see Dr. Chang.

As I had been watching the monitors, I kept noticing Billy hanging out with two boys. I recognized one as Gene Watts, one of the boys on Ray’s team. There was another kid about Billy’s age hanging with them. I supposed it was his buddies from the apartment Tracy had mentioned the night before. They were hanging out playing a machine close to Jeb, so I picked up the office radio and said, “Go for Jeb.”

Jeb had an earpiece in so no one could hear our end of the conversation and replied, “I copy.”

“Send Billy back to the office when they’re done with their game.”

“Roger.”

I watched as Jeb had a word with Billy. Billy spoke to his two companions and headed back. I opened the door a crack and Billy came in the office all smiles.

“Billy, you’re looking chipper today.”

He came over and hopped in my lap like he belonged there and said, “Thanks for encouraging Tracy to pay me back for all of those blow jobs. It’s way better than…” He made a jerking motion with his hand.

“It’s only fair. Are Gene and his brother the boys you play with at the apartment?”

Billy said, “Yeah. Scotty and me have been doing it for a while. Gene caught us and joined in. There’s another but, he won’t be back for a while.”

I asked, “Are you cool with it?”

“Yeah. Gene has a big one. It’s fun to suck him off. He was nice to us even before we started doing it.”

“Billy, would you like for me to hire them?”

“Yeah but, I think they’re going to have to move soon because their Mom is having a hard time.”

“What does she do Billy?”

“She works in restaurants.”

“I need to hire someone to help Marie. Do you think she would be interested?”

Billy said, “She would be perfect for that. I don’t know what happened with her husband but I think he went to prison and the government took all of their money. They’ve been struggling ever since.”

“I have a plan Billy. Go back and play with Gene and Scottie. I want to catch you with Gene. That will give me leverage and get all the cards on the table. Lure him into the employee locker room and I’ll come in and have a talk with him. Are you cool with that?”

Billy smiled and said, “Yeah. It’ll be fun but I’ll want a favor in return.”

I said guardedly, “What can I do for you Billy?”

He said, “I don’t know yet. I just want a favor in the bank with you.”

“If I can hire Mrs. Watts to keep Marie from collapsing from exhaustion, you’ll get two favors.”

I gave Billy two of the little Game Zone promotional baggies with some tokens in them and sent him on his little mission. I liked Gene Watts when I met him yesterday. Apparently, he’s a nice boy that really likes blow jobs— just like all the rest of the boys of any age that live on this planet.

As I was watching the little drama unfold on the security cam, Frank returned with the guys who had taken their checks to the bank. He joined me in the office and said, “What are you doing?”

I said, “Would you believe I’m about to catch Billy giving one of Ray’s team mates a blow job?”

Frank laughed and said, “Knowing Billy, I’d believe it. Which one?”

The boys were playing Defender and I pointed, “This one is Gene. This one is Scottie. Gene caught them and now Billy has Gene kind of addicted to his blow jobs. Their Mom is having a hard time financially and guess what she does?”

Frank said, “Best case, she’s a chief.”

“Billy says she works in restaurants. She lost her job when her car died and, her former husband is in prison for something. Billy didn’t know details but it sounds like drugs. I remember a story a few years ago about some rig workers getting busted who were moving coke that came into the oil rigs on fast boats at night.”

Frank kissed my cheek and said, “Is my Prince Charming is going to save the day again?”

“I will if the cards fall right. Marie wins because she gets some help. Ms. Watts wins because she gets stability. Gene and Scottie win because they get a place with us.”

Frank said, “Here they come down the hall— oh my, all three of them. Look at Gene’s little brother— he’s skipping. There’s a happy boy off to get a hummer.”

I laughed and couldn’t stop for a minute. It was just so surreal seeing it unfold. Frank and I were still laughing when the three boys went in the door to the employee lounge and.

Frank said, “I have an idea…”

We waited a few minutes for the boys to get well into it. We spent that time necking. When we decided they were too distracted with each other to notice us, I followed Frank down the hall to the employee lounge. I opened the door quietly and the two of us slipped in. We could easily hear the sound of boys being very naughty with moans, gasps and the occasional slurping sound.

Frank opened the door the door to the locker room where we surprised three very naked boys on the couch. Gene was on his back with Billy servicing him and Scotty was servicing Billy. I was a little impressed with Gene’s cock. He was a big boy.

Frank said, “Well damn. They beat us to the couch; we’ll have to make due with a chair.”

Gene asked, “What?”

Frank said, “We had the same idea you guys did— sneaking off for a little nookie.”

Scottie said, “We aren’t in trouble?”

“Of course not”, I said. “Why would you be in trouble? You aren’t doing anything wrong and, it would be hypocritical because Frank and I had the same idea. We won’t tell if you won’t.”

Billy said, “I told you they were really cool.”

I went in the other room and turned on the TV and came back in, “Next time Billy, the latch turns the other way. Oh and turn on some noise in the break room for cover.”

Billy took a break from Gene’s cock and said, “Thanks boss. Got any tips for me?”

Frank answered, “Lick underneath his balls. That always works on Tim.”

Billy didn’t respond but Gene’s breath hitched and he moaned as Billy found a nifty new trick.

I stood in front of a folding chair and Frank lowered my jeans and went down on me.

I watched the boys out of the corner of my eye. All three were still doing their thing but were watching as Frank’s working over my cock. It wasn’t a masterpiece blow job but, Frank and I did have a little streak of exhibitionism that added a little fire to the fireworks. I saw Billy and Gene cum and them Billy went to town on Scotty and got him off in short order. Then all three watched as I blew Frank. Given they had a head start on us, it only took a few minutes of good, stress relieving sex.

When we stopped Frank and I put our clothes back in order but the boys were watching us as if stunned.

I said, “Are you guys OK?”

Gene said, “Yeah. That was so hot— way better than porn. I just can’t figure out…”

Frank said, “Why we let you see us?”

Billy said, “I know.”

I said, “Tell them Billy.”

“That’s their way of showing us we aren’t freaks. They’re the same as us, just a little older.”

“Are you all right Scottie?”

He laughed and said, “Yeah. I’ll never run out of jerk off fantasies again. That was sweet.”

Frank said, “You boys hear a lot of bad stuff about being gay or bi. It can do a number on the way that you feel about yourself.”

I asked, “Gene, I heard that your Mom does restaurant work and, I have a cook that needs help. If I offered her a job, do you think she would take it?”

Gene was stunned into silence. Scottie elbowed him and said, “Gene!”

Gene snapped out of it and said, “Yes. Yes she would. She has been really upset that she can’t work because her old car died and she can’t fix it.”

“It’s a live-in gig. She’ll have her own room and you and Scottie can join our herd.”

Gene and Scottie erupted off the couch, clad only in their briefs, and I caught them in a hug. “I know you guys have had a hard time but, it’ll get better now. We’ll have fun. You’ll have to be discrete but, you can be yourselves.”

Billy said, “Ritchie is moving us in too. Tim has a huge house. It’s really fun because there are cute guys everywhere and they’re all really cool.”

Frank said, “One of the first things we do is get you screened and talked to by our Doctor. He tells you exactly how you avoid AIDS and other nasty little infections. Tonight, we’re all going to Tim’s place in the country where we all get together and hang out. We’ll come back tomorrow- the Game Zone has to keep going but, as we get enough people to run it, we’ll be able to play more.”

With my arms around the three brief clad boys, I said, “As much fun as this is, I think you guys should probably get dressed. We’ll be sending Mike, Rusty and Eddie to Doctor Chang and, we’ll send you with them. It counts as a sport physical too.”

 

xv.

We cleared out of the Break Room. Gene and Scottie were hungry so I had Roderick put on a bacon cheese-burger and fries for them.

I found Ritchie working the front door and asked, “Hey Ritchie. Do you know the Watts kids’ Mother?”

Ritchie said, “Yeah, I know Sharon. They live in the same building as me. She’s a very nice lady.”

“What would you think about me hiring her to help out Marie?”

Ritchie looked surprised and said, “That’s… an inspired idea. I know her well. She’s had some really bad luck. Her ex-husband got busted for coke and she’s had a hard time ever since. She almost has a nursing degree but, she had to quit when she had Gene.”

“Excellent. I have a couple of things I have to do right now. Get Roderick to sub for you and go talk to her. Tell her it’s a live-in position. I’ll give her a package similar to Marie’s, a vehicle and I’m willing to send her to night school to finish her degree. Tell her that I’ve already hired Gene and Scottie to work at Game Zone and, they’re included. If she says yes, take her to the house and introduce her to Marie.”

Ritchie said, “Are you sure? I mean…”

I grinned at Ritchie and said, “I hired an executive Mr. Barnes. Execute.”

Something straightened in Ritchie’s spine and he said, “It will be my pleasure.”

I said, “Either way it goes, page me.”

 

 

xvi.

As I moved from the front to the back, I noticed Rusty and Eddie were shadowing me. As I stopped and talked to people I could clearly see they were following me. I caught up with Grant and Marcus in the kitchen moving frozen stock into the ready refrigerator. I said, “Grant, we’re going to have to make a quick run to see your Grandmother in a little while.”

Grant said, “Cool. I’ll be here when you are.”

I said, “Are you guys up to have a little mischief?”

Marcus and Grant turned their complete attention to me. They knew me well enough by now that when I had a certain glint in my eyes, I was up to something. I saw Rusty in a reflection off the clear plastic where Roderick wrote his menu of the day.

I said, “A couple of cute little cock hounds are stalking me. Don’t look at them but it’s the new boys Rusty and Eddie. They are going to follow me into the employee lounge rest room. Would you mind coming to my rescue?”

Marcus looked at Grant and smiled. They both looked back at me and Grant asked, “How can we help?”

I said, “I think those two little cuties need to feel some lovin’. Are you up for it?”

They both nodded and I said, “Good. Give them a minute or two and then enter the lounge quietly. Keep your eyes on us and play it cool.”

My next move was to check out the public men’s room. It was in good shape. As I was turning around to leave, Rusty and Eddie came in the door. The little horn-dog’s Sun Britches were bulging.

I said, “Hey guys. I’m just checking to make sure the place is clean. We employees have our own private restroom off the lounge. Follow me and I’ll show you.”

They followed me into the lounge and I said, “It’s nice and private back here. If you ever get lucky, you can come back here. This door has a latch so you can be sure no one will bother you.” I made the door latch snap but only a close inspection would reveal the door was unlocked.

They followed me into the rest room. I stepped up to a urinal and prepared to take a piss. Rusty and Eddie stepped up to the urinal beside me. Rusty’s shaking hands opened the Velcro of his Sun Britches with a rip and pulled out a five inch uncircumcised cock so hard it was throbbing.

Eddie was worse. He fumbled with his Sun Britches but got frustrated with the draw-string.

“Let me help you with that”, I said and took a knee in front of him.

I untangled the knot bedeviling Eddie, careful to get close enough for him to feel my breath on his package and said, “I never wear these things— they look good” and gave Eddie a playful pop on the rump. “But, they always seem to get in a knot when you need to get out of them. There you go Eddie. You’re free.”

He pulled out a six inch cock but absolutely no urination was going on.

I pulled my cock out and took a piss and said, “You two both have impressive cocks for your age. You guys have something in mind other than taking a leak?”

Eddie said, “We would both like to suck you off. Please?”

Rusty voice actually cracked when he asked, “I’ll do anything you like. I really like big cocks.”

I said, “I thought so. It’s very tempting. You’re both very cute and I like you so, I’m going to give you some big cocks. They’re just going to be attached to some boys closer to your age. Marcus, Grant?”

Marcus and Grant came in and I said, “These two cuties want some big cock. Do you think you two can help them?”

Marcus approached Rusty and Grant approached Eddie. They both unzipped their shorts and pulled out their cocks. Rusty and Eddie jumped their cocks like a pair of starving piranhas. I put my arms around Grant and Marcus’s shoulders and said to the rookies, “Welcome to the team boys. I do like to see my team happy.”

Marcus stroked Rusty’s hair and said, “Ummm. You’re good at that.”

Grant’s shorts slipped revealing the red and blue jock I’d gotten for him. I patted him his bare ass and said, “Very nice Grant.”

I asked, “Rusty, Eddie: are you boys happy with the cocks you got?”

They answered with hungry growls and slurping sounds.

Grant sighed and said, “You’re good Eddie, real good. I’m getting close.”

“So am I”, Marcus huskily growled.

This only served to drive Rusty and Marcus oral assaults to renewed frenzy.

A short thirty seconds later, Marcus shook, grabbed Rusty’s head and said, “I’m gonna cum”.

Marcus pumped his cock deep into Rusty’s mouth as cum ran down his freckled cheeks.

A few seconds later it was Grant’s turn.

As they were recovering, I said, “Grant, Marcus— one good turn deserves another.”

They switched places and now Rusty and Eddie were on the receiving end but, they were already three-quarters of the way to the finish line.

Rusty gasped, “You’re going to pay us to do this?”

I said, “Think of it as a fringe benefit: you get to sneak back here every now and then and bust a nut with some of the hottest guys in the county. I think you’ll like it.”

Eddie moaned and said, “Like it? I… I… oh God, love it.”

Rusty rasped, “Oh God Marcus… uhhhhhh”

As they boys recovered from their orgasms, I asked, “Marcus, Grant— what do you think of your new team mates?”

Grant hugged Eddie and said, “They’re hot as fire.”

Marcus hugged Rusty, kissed his cheek and said, “And they’re delicious.”

I hugged Rusty and Eddie and said, “Did you guys enjoy your initiation?”

Rusty said, “Hell yeah. That was awesome. Most initiations are stupid but this was fun.”

Eddie ran his hand over my crotch and said, “I’d still like to taste that.”

Marcus laughed and said, “Get in line. Everybody wants some of Tim but, he’s thinking of all of us. If it got out he was doing kids even just once, the cops would burn everything down. I’ve known him the longest between the four of us. He loves us all for real. He just loves us in different ways that don’t involve jizz.”

I said, “Speaking of jizz, tonight we’re all going to my country place so, you might want to save up. It’s always a blast and, I can’t wait to see you all in Speedo.”

As we were on our way out I stopped Rusty and had him come back in to the bathroom. I got a paper towel wet in the sink and said, “You’ve still Marcus nut on your face.”

As I cleaned it off his face, Rusty said, “Thanks. I get the feeling you like me.”

“I do Rusty. You’re a real cutie. I’m very sorry that you were molested repeatedly in foster care. I’ll try to help you get over it.”

Rusty looked appalled and said, “How do you know about that?”

Let’s go have a seat in the lounge and talk. We sat on one of the couches and Rusty asked, “How did you know about what happened at the group home. I’ve never told anybody.”

“Tell me if I’m wrong: somewhere in foster care, I don’t know the exact details but, an adult or older teen made you do stuff. You didn’t care for him so much but, some of it felt really good, was exciting and you decided you liked it.”

He said, “You’re not wrong. When you’re the littlest kid in a group home, your choices are sucking dick or getting fucked. Sometimes there’s no choice at all.”

I said, “It happened to a couple of my other boys who was in the system. They were just like you and, went for me almost as soon as we met. Most boys don’t do that unless they’ve been messed with a lot. The point is, I understand and some of my other boys understand.”

Rusty hugged me and said, “I don’t know why it turns me on so much when I look at you.”

I asked, “Do you know much about dogs?”

Rusty said, “A little.”

“When there is a pack of dogs there is always an Alpha male: he’s the biggest and strongest of the pack and all the other males know it— usually without even a fight. They submit to him instinctively because they know he’s strong and will protect the pack. Does that sound like one scared little red headed pup that needs security?”

Rusty said, “Yeah. It does. It sounds disturbingly… holy shit. Dogs that submit, they lick the Alpha’s dick and he will hump them.”

I said, “Its instinct Rusty. It is how you learned to survive. I promise you this: around me and my guys, no one will ever force you to do anything. The sex you’ll have is the sex you agree to.”

Rusty looked up at me and said cheekily, “What if I still want a taste of the Big Dog?”

I tickled him and said, “Woof! Woof, woof!” blew a raspberry in his belly button and sniffed his crotch.

He exploded with laughter and said, “You are completely nuts but… I like it.”

I hugged him and said, “We’re going to have a lot of fun.”

 

 

xvii.

Frank took Gene, Scottie, Mike, Rusty and Eddie to Dr. Chang’s office and I had Grant and Tommy.

Grant asked, “What are we doing Tim?”

“That’s a question your Grandmother will answer when we get there. Mrs. Stewart was my third grade English teacher and, to tell the truth, she still intimidates me a little.”

Tommy laughed and said, “You are intimidated by a little old lady?”

I said, “A little old Southern retired school teacher lady. That’s spooky stuff man. Way worse than clowns.”

Tommy said, “Clowns!? I’ll wait in the truck.”

I said, “I would too if I could get away with it.”

“Grandma, intimidating?”, Grant asked incredulously.

I said, “She’s never caught you chewing gum in her class.”

Grant laughed and said, “That’s because I would know better.”

I pulled up in Mrs. Stewart’s driveway and parked. There was a very familiar Volvo sitting in driveway and Football-Player-Dick was sitting behind the wheel.

I got out, approached the Volvo and said, “Hi Rich. Is Mr. Malone inside?”

Football-Player-Dick or, Rich to his friends said, “Yes sir. His car is in the shop and I’ve been stuck driving him around today. Hopefully I’ll be done soon so I can go check out the new park.”

I leaned over and spoke confidentially, “You don’t have to call me sir. I’ve seen your cute bare behind and I like you a whole lot better after Joey told me you were nice to him. Did you see Dr. Chang as I asked?”

“Yes Sir… err, I mean Tim. I already knew most of what he told me. Do you think maybe at the park we could…” Rich’s khaki pants were no concealment for his huge boner.

“No. We’ll go to my house. I’ll be there around five-thirty. If you aren’t doing anything and, if you’re a good boy, you’ll spend the night. Do you wear Speedo?”

Rich said, “I have some but I’m embarrassed to wear them in public.”

“Good. Bring them. We won’t be in public but, you’ll be around a lot of horny guys that appreciate nice bulges.”

I stood and said, “I’ll try to get this done quickly so you can get Mr. Malone on his way. Come on Grant. This really shouldn’t take long.”

I rang the bell and an older black woman opened the door. She smiled and said, “Mr. Shepherd, Grant: welcome. You are expected.”

I followed her inside and Grant asked in a whisper, “Who is she?”

“She is from a maid service that I got to help your grandmother out. Turns out they hit it off well.”

Grant said, “That was cool of you. Thanks. The house is spotless.”

She led us to the kitchen table where Mrs. Stewart and Mr. Malone were sitting with a pile of papers.

Mrs. Stewart, as is her manner, immediately took charge of the meeting: “Grant, Timmy, please have a seat and we’ll get this under way. Grant: your nearest living relatives are on your father’s side and they passed on you once already. I’m not a young woman and, would you have any objection to making Tim your guardian in the event I pass away?”

Grant said, “No Grandma, Tim is a great guy. He’s the Dad I’ve always wanted.”

Mrs. Stewart smiled and said, “I’m very pleased to hear you say that. Are you happy where you are?”

“Yes Mam. I’ve got friends and Tim is amazing. I’ve never met anyone as sharp.”

Mrs. Stewart said, “If you are OK with it, I would like to go on vacation.”

“You’re going on that long Pacific cruise you’ve always wanted to take. Excellent! Take lots of pictures.”

She said, “I’m not getting any younger and, with Tim looking after you, there’s no time like the present. Mr. Malone, if you have the papers Mr. Shepherd needs to sign, we can get this done.”

I signed a number of papers and got copies in a nice, neat file folder.

Mrs. Stewart was pleased and said, “There’s another matter but, I will leave that for Mr. Shepherd to discuss with you.”

Grant hugged his grandmother, kissed her cheek and said, “Thank you Grandma. I know you weren’t expecting a teenager in your retirement.”

Mrs. Stewart said, “I couldn’t have asked for a sweeter one but, you really need a father at this point in your life. I’ve known Timmy since he was much younger than you. I expect he will be a good one. Now, get back to work you two.”

Grant said, “Yes Mam. I’ll make a quick stop by my room and, we’ll be off.”

I followed Grant to his room and he closed the door and locked it. He hugged me fiercely. He whispered in my ear, “You don’t know what it means to me that you want me.”

“I do Grant and, not just because you look great in that red and blue jock.”

Grant packed two bags and handed me a pile of books. We were let out by the maid and Grant said, “Grandma never had a maid.”

“She comes three times a week and takes care of things a lady of your Grandma’s years shouldn’t have to. I also have a nurse coming by twice a week to check on her.”

Grant said, “Next time we’re alone…”

“What will Marcus say?”

“Oh he’ll cheer and jump in. Oh and thanks for that mischief you got us into. Marcus and I like the new kids.”

When we got back to the truck, I spoke to Rich and said, “See you later. Malone should be out shortly.”

He nodded and we got in the truck.

Tommy asked, “What did you do?”

Grant said, “Tim just adopted me and Grandma is taking the six month cruise she had been putting off since my Mom died and dumped me in her lap.”

Tommy said, “That’s very cool Grant.”

“Yeah. It is”, Grant said. “I finally have a Dad that really wants me. By the way, what was it that Grandma said you could tell me about later?”

“I bought your Grandmother’s house and your Dad’s Mustang. You’ve got a two hundred fifty thousand dollar trust fund in the bank. Your Grandmother is leasing the house back for a dollar a year as long as she wants to stay there. Your car is safely parked in a guarded garage at my office building. It’s got brand new tires and a Die-Hard battery in it. My mechanic says it is in pristine condition and runs beautifully.”

 

 

xviii.

I dropped off Grant at the Game Zone and took Tommy to our next stop: Matthew and Chance’s house. They were on the night shift, elected to sleep very late in preparation for the late night ahead and were just getting up. I pulled my truck in close beside Chance’s Camaro with cursed electronics.

Chance answered the door in gym shorts and hair damp from the shower and said, “Tim, what’s up?”

“Well, the problems with your Camaro have been a mystery that bothered me enough to call an old school friend of mine that works for GM. I told him the symptoms and he said it sounded like your car’s computer has the wrong firmware. He sent me a new computer with the right firmware and only asks that we send him the old one back. Fifteen minutes under your hood and I should have your problems whupped.”

Chance said, “No shit?”

I nodded.

I got to work and Tommy and Chance watched me open the housing and remove the old computer. I carefully opened up the box with the new one and installed it. I put the old one back in the box to return and stuffed it in the box of my truck.

I put the housing and connectors back and said, “Sorry. I meant ten minutes. Fire it up and let’s see how she sounds.”

Chance got in his car and turned it over. It purred like a kitten and then roared like a lion when Chance put his foot in it. He got out of the car and just listened to her idle for a moment. He shook his head and walked over to me and gave me a big hug.

He said, “That car has been to three different dealer service departments and you fixed it. Now, what can I do for you?”

“You got a bong hit?”

Chance said, “You’ve got it.” He turned off the ignition and Tommy and I followed him upstairs.

The Stevens house was large, rambling and modern. Not Frank Lloyd Wright modern but Scandinavian A-frame-ish modern with lots of glass and angles. It was open and airy. I liked it but, dreaded what a tornado might do to it.

Chase said, “Dad’s down at the Cape. They called him in on the Challenger cluster-fuck.”

Tommy asked, “Do they know what caused it?”

Chase said, “Oh they know. They’ll study it to death but, they know. They got in a hurry and launched when they shouldn’t have— Dad said it was too cold and it made the O-rings brittle. They blew under pressure. It’s always something simple in the end.”

I said, “That’s what I heard. It was a damned waste. I hate that it grounded the whole shuttle fleet. I love seeing those big, beautiful ships fly.”

Chance said, “Me too. I’ve seen shuttles launch. I saw Apollo-Soyuz launch when I was little. There’s nothing quite like seeing one of the really big boosters light off.”

I asked, “Where’s Matthew?”

Chance pointed to the room across the hall. I looked in and a very naked Matthew was sound asleep on his stomach.

The three of us sat on Chance’s bed as he loaded bong hits.

I asked, “I haven’t seen Eric around for a while. What’s up with him?”

Chance said, “His family is on vacation out West. His Dad is kind of intrigued by the Pacific North-West so they flew out to Seattle and rented a car to drive around. I’m not sure exactly when they get back.”

We took a few bong hits and heard a flush from across the hall and then a shower turned on.

Chance said, “It’s alive.”

Another couple of bong hits later Matthew appeared shirtless in gym shorts with wet hair. He sang, “The best part of waking up is bong hits in my cup. Hey Tommy, Tim. What’s up?”

Chance said, “Here bro, here catch up. Tim just fixed my car.”

Matthew took a bong hit and let it go and said, “No shit? You really should blow him for that. What was wrong?.”

I said, “We think the car’s computer had the wrong version firmware. That’s why it kinda sorta worked but not really.”

Chance said, “We got some new porn. Want to see it?”

Tommy said, “Sure.”

Matthew asked, “Which one?”

Chance said, “Jugen von Berlin”

Chance stuck it in his VCR. He turned down the video volume, turned on some Metallica on his stereo and pushed play. A German language movie started up with cute uncircumcised blond boys being very naughty.

I said, “I’ve heard of this. German porn is sixteen up. Don’t get caught with it.”

Tommy said, “This is so hot. Are we going to have an orgy? If we are, I’m overdressed.”

Matthew pulled Tommy into a hug and said, “As good as you are at giving head, you would be a rock star at an orgy Tommy. Besides, I owe you one.”

Chance sighed and said, “Tim, you created a monster blowing Matthew.”

“I think getting Matthew’s cock in circulation was a vital public service. You guys have seen Dr. Chang?”

Matthew said, “Yeah. Thanks for that Tim. Even our Dad is going to see him now for his prostate. We needed a men’s health specialist in the area.”

Chance asked, “Does Bart have a new boyfriend? He didn’t sleep here last night.”

“I introduced him to a new guy we’ve got at the Game Zone named Sean. They make a really cute couple.”

Matthew said, “When are you going to find me a boyfriend. Strike that. I’ve got Tommy.”

Tommy said, “I’m all for it but my Mom would have you arrested. Let’s just be friends with messy benefits.”

I pulled off my shirt and said, “There are a couple of new cuties your age to choose from. There will be a reporter for the local media. His name is Chip Daniels. He’s cute but a little older than you are. He’s smart. He gets tested regularly by Dr. Chang.”

Chance said, “Damn Tim. He’s hot. Are you sure Matthew is ready for Chip?”

“I don’t know about that but, Chip is sure ready to meet someone.”

I lost my jeans and said, “Chance, how would you like a back rub?”

 

Thirty minutes later, the four of us lay under the ceiling fan in post-orgasmic recovery. Matthew said, “That was insane. I’ve never cum like that before. That’s why I like sex with Tim. He’s always teaching me something new and messy.”

Tommy said, “That was so intense. Chance, I think your jizz hit the ceiling fan. Did you pass out?”

Chance said, “I’m still weak in the knees. I think I’m going to need some vitamins before tonight. Thank you Tim.”

I said, “I had to show my appreciation to you guys for all the help getting Game Zone running on time. Randy told me you guys were key to getting the electronics up and running. As much fun as this was, I really have to get moving.”

Matthew said, “I love playing with those machines Tim but, as motivation goes, your cock sure works for me.”

Chance said, “Thanks for everything Tim. My car is finally running right and, you made me cum so hard I nearly passed out. This is a great day already.”

I hugged and kissed Chance and Matthew and said, “It’s always fun getting messy with you studs. Stevens brothers’ cock is some of the best anywhere.”

I got dressed and helped Tommy who was a little wobbly. He said, “I think I need a nap after that.”

“Me too but, we’ve got places to be. I’m going back to my house. Why don’t I drop you off for a nap and you can ride with us on the late bus.”

Tommy yawned and said, “Works for me.”

 

xix.

My pager had gone off during our tryst so I called back from Matthew’s phone. Marie had met Sharon and they had hit it off. It looked like one problem was solved.

I drove around the bay and pulled into my garage. Rather than drag Tommy in front of the ladies, I took him up the lift to the top floor. He took off his shoes, shorts and shirt and got in my bed.

Tommy said, “That was awesome Tim. Thank you.”

I said, “I know you like big ones and they just don’t get much bigger than the Stevens boys.”

“That was fun but, not what made it special. It wasn’t like last week when I sucked off Matthew and they just left me with blue balls. This time I felt like they really liked me. God it felt so good, I think my balls shrank.”

I hugged him and said, “They’ll recover and, we all like you. Some of us even love you enough to take you to your first orgy. Now get some sleep. Later on I’ll come in here and join you in your nap.”

Tommy said, “It wasn’t my first orgy but, it sure was the best one. Andrew’s were just creepy. Thanks for getting me laid. I really needed it.”

“Matthew needed it too apparently.”

 

I went in the bathroom and put some Visine in my eyes to get the red out and went downstairs to meet Sharon.

Sharon Watts was a care worn woman in her thirties but she was absolutely delighted by the opportunity I had given her. She and Marie had picked out a room and would actually start moving essentials later that night.

Sharon suggested a kitchen makeover to handle the volume. I told her to think through what they needed doing and we would look at trying to get it done during the week of the fourth when most of us would be at Arrowhead.

Sharon asked, “How did you find me? Ritchie?”

“Friends of your boys found out I was looking. They suggested you because you worked in restaurants and, I didn’t want Ray to lose his fullback. Ritchie likes you too. I’m going to be moving him at the same time we move you.”

Marie returned to the table with coffee for her and Sharon.

Sharon asked, “What are you building here Mr. Shepherd?”

I gave Marie and Sharon and abbreviated version of the Plan and they were both stunned.

Marie said, “I knew you had something in mind but, this is amazing.”

Sharon said, “My God. An hour ago I was worried about where I was going live and now, my boys have an opportunity like this.”

I said, “It’s just a plan for now but, I think it’s a good one. My Dad taught me any plan requires improvisation and adaptation to make it work. I want these guys to think of each other as family. I want them to learn to enjoy working and, working with each other. I see the Game Zone as my farm team. When the time comes and they’re ready, they’re going to be a force to be reckoned with. They won’t ever have to worry about broken cars or making rent.”

I had Marie from the start but, when the two mothers heard the Plan, I gained invaluable allies. They were as excited to see it work as I was.

 

xx.

On the way back to the Game Zone, I stopped by Buck’s Hunting and Fishing and got some more white tennis shorts and the swimming suits that were Speedo-like but just a little less revealing. I wanted to make sure everyone had one for tonight so I got extras of both in several sizes. The swimming suits had been picked over and only red and silver-gray were available in the sizes needed.

Back at the Game Zone, I got together with Gene and Scottie and told them that Ritchie and I had met with their mother and she had accepted the job. They would be joining us at Arrowhead and on Sunday they would be moving into the house. I asked if they needed anything from the apartment and Gene volunteered to go pack a bag for himself and Scottie.

We got in my truck and Gene found the bag with the swimsuits. I said, “Pick out one for you and Scottie.” I drove him the short distance to his apartment and we went inside.

I sat down on a sofa while Gene spent a few minutes rummaging in the room he shared with Scottie. He came out wearing one of the suits and asked, “Do you like?”

I said, “What size is it?”

“Medium.”

“Better try a large. You don’t want to cut off the blood flow down there.”

He hardened as I gazed at him and said, “Little chance of that. Do you like?”

“Yeah. You make it look good Gene.”

“I envy the guys on your crew. I want you to be my Daddy too.”

“Is the door locked?”

He nodded.

“Come here.”

Gene sat in my lap and I wrapped my arms around him. “You’ve got a Daddy and so does Scottie. There are no sexual strings attached but, there is one matter you can help me with.”

Gene laid his head on my shoulder and said, “I’ve wanted a real Daddy since way before my old man went to prison. He was a mean drunk. How can I help?”

“I want you to be a big brother to Billy. You know how he is. Sexually he is way ahead of most boys his own age but, emotionally he’s still just a sweet little kid. He’s vulnerable to the worst sort of abuse. He needs someone close to look after him.”

Gene said, “You don’t have to ask me to do that. I love Billy and, it’s not just because he could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.”

“He’s good at that?”

“Oh God yes. The better Billy likes you, the better he’ll make it. He’s really sweet and so is Robbie.”

“Is he that good or, do you just like BJs?”

Gene looked thoughtful and said, “I guess that’s a fair question. I haven’t had that many BJs other than Billy or Tracy. If you want to give me one, for comparison, I’m willing.”

I squeezed him and said, “Maybe later. How did it start with you guys?”

“I caught them by accident. Mom was at work and, sometimes I go sleep on her bed after she has gone to work. Anyway, they thought they were alone in the apartment. I woke up when I heard them. I didn’t know what it was until I peeked and, saw Billy make Scottie cum. When I saw Scottie moan and squirm like that, it made me so horny, I had to get me some of that. Then Billy sucked me off and, I figured out right quick why I’ve always liked playing with boys more than girls. Jeez, just thinking about it makes me horny.”

“I can tell by the wet spot.” He blushed and I said, “Don’t be embarrassed. Those suits don’t leave much to the imagination and you make it look good. Where does Robbie fit in?”

“I haven’t done much with Robbie. He’s curious and he’ll touch it if I let him. Scottie and Billy do stuff with Robbie and, I think Tracy does too. Robbie’s big thing is he likes to cuddle naked. At night he’ll snuggle right up to you and, will go to sleep in your lap if you sit still long enough.”

“Gene, have you done stuff with Tracy?”

He blushed and said, “Yeah. He likes to suck cock, the bigger the better. He’s good at it but, not as good as Billy. I haven’t really been fond of him. He was kind of a brat but, he’s seems to be getting better. He has been much nicer to Billy and Robbie lately.”

I rubbed Gene’s back and said, “I might have had something to do with that. I’ve been talking to Tracy and, I gave him some buddies his age. He seems like he’s a lot happier. Now there is going to be less stress on all of you: your Mom and Ritchie because they’re not having trouble making ends meet and, you’re moving out of the pressure cooker of these apartments. I predict life for all of you will be a lot more pleasant.”

He said, “I hope you don’t think I’m a baby but, I really like this.”

“Nonsense. I’ll tell you a secret if you’ll keep it.”

“Of course.”

“All of my boys have sat in my lap like this at some point except for Big Ted. Some of them insist on sitting in it regularly.”

“Why not Big Ted?”

“He’s enormous. I have to sit in his lap.”

Gene laughed, snuggled against me and said, “I know we need to go but, I don’t really want to get up. Your lap is wonderful.”

“Living at my place, this lap will be available for you on a regular basis but, we do need to get moving.”

“No. I’m enjoying my Daddy time.”

“Well, get a good dose and keep in mind, soon I’ll be just down the hall.”

 

 

xxi.

When I arrived back at Game Zone I was summoned back to the office where Frank had two teary-eyed little Asian boys on his lap. They were both slight and lean with shoulder length jet black hair and looked completely miserable.

I said, “Mihn, Sang: welcome. I see you’ve met Frank. I’m Tim. We will be taking care of you for your Uncle Lui.”

They looked up, saw me and rubbed their eyes.

“I know that you are very sad to leave your home and friends, we will do our best to make you welcome.”

“I am Sang. Uncle Lui said you are a very good man. My brother and I… our family sent us away. They did not want us anymore”, he choked and sobbed.

I took a knee and hugged him, “I know Sang. That does not matter to us. I am sorry you had to go through this. We do want you.”

Sang said, “Uncle Lui said that you had many sons and you are a very good father?”

Frank said, “You have that right. He’s one of the best you could hope for.”

Mihn slid down from Frank’s lap, stood beside his brother. I put my other arm around him and he said, “This has been the worst two weeks of our lives.”

I gave them a both a gentle squeeze, picked up the office radio and said, “Please send Brandon, Matty and Jo Jo back to the office.”

I put my arms back around both boys and said, “I can’t undo what has happened but, I can promise to make you as welcome as I can. I have many sons that are the same as you: cast out, neglected or, orphaned. I love all of them and welcome you to our family. I’m about to introduce you to some of them who are about your age.”

Sang said, “I like Frank. He’s really nice.”

“Thank you Sang”, Frank said with all his usual warmth. “I can’t imagine a cuter pair of twins. I’m delighted that you will be with us.”

Mihn looked at Frank and said, “He means it. I can tell.”

I said, “We both mean it. You’re about to be surrounded by a lot of new friends.”

There was a tap on the door and Brandon entered the office followed closely by Jo Jo and Joey. Mihn and Sang’s eyes widened at the sight of kids their own age.

Joey said, “Matty was tied up so he sent me.”

“Thank you Joey. Guys, this is Mihn and Sang. They are Doctor Chang’s nephews and will be staying with us. They are very sad because they had to leave their family and friends. This is Brandon, Joey and Jo Jo.”

My boys surrounded Mihn and Sang and there was a weird sort of transformation. The twins went from depressed to curious to maybe we aren’t in hell after all in a matter of a few seconds. Jo Jo’s ever sunny disposition seemed to part the clouds, Brandon smiled and was charming as ever and, Joey is always cuter than a basket full puppies even on his worst day.

It was Jo Jo that hit on the magic question: “Are you guys hungry? We’ve got a great kitchen here.” Just that fast my boys engaged Mihn and Sang and were off to feed them and introduce them around.

Before he could get away I said, “Joey— please get Mike. We need to make a quick run to your place to get your things.”

Joey smiled and said, “We’ll be right along.”

Frank said, “That was amazing. They were so brokenhearted and now just look at them.”

We watched on the cameras as the day shift welcomed Mihn and Sang. They were taken aback by the Roderick’s boisterous welcome and Big Ted’s size but the warmth of their greeting seemed to melt the ice of the twins uncertainty and dread. Soon they were sitting and eating surrounded by new friends.

Billy and Matty sat across the table from them and, Brandon and Jo Jo sat on either side. There they actually began smiling and… there is was. Billy and Jo Jo, bless their horny little hearts, actually had them laughing.

 

 

xxii.

Joey returned to the office followed by Rusty, Mike and Eddie.

Mike said, “I want to take my car home. If you will take Rusty and Eddie to our house, they can pack a bag for us. I’ll take Joey by his house and I’ll meet you there in what: twenty minutes? Then we can ride back with you.”

I said, with a surreptitious wink to Mike, “We’ve still got time so we’re not desperate.”

Rusty and Eddie followed me to my truck and we got underway.

Eddie saw the bag from Buck’s Sporting Goods and said, “What is this?”

“It is a little surprise for you guys. Take a look and see if you can find one in your size. You get a swim suit and some shorts for work.”

As Rusty and Eddie looked through the suits, I continued, “We usually get Speedo but Buck’s doesn’t carry them and he only had red and silver in the right sizes. These are similar but not quite the same. Everybody likes them because they don’t hold water and you can wear board shorts over them like underwear. Oh, and they make you look hot.”

Eddie said, “They make you look hot as long as you aren’t fat and hairy. Otherwise, they make you look like you made a very unfortunate fashion choice.”

Rusty snorted as he picked up a pair and said, “I’ve seen these on our swimming team. Yummy. Do you think we’ll look good in them?”

I pulled up in the Bowers driveway, careful to avoid Mike’s parking place, and said, “You two cuties would look good in anything and best of all in nothing.”

Rusty blushed and Eddie said, “Thanks Tim. You do wonders for my self-esteem. Why don’t you come inside and you can tell us which looks best: naked or near naked.”

I reached behind the seat and pulled out my gym bag and asked, “You guys don’t mind if I change here do you? These jeans are just too hot for today.”

Rusty stuttered, “No… No, not at all. Please feel free.”

I followed Rusty and Eddie into the house. It was a split level with a large down stairs basement that had been heavily renovated. It was divided into big den with a pool table, entertainment center and a pair of couches. There was a sliding glass door that opened onto a sheltered patio with a sparkling pool. In the rear of the room there were two nice sized bedrooms.

Rusty led us and said, “This one is mine. The other is Mike’s.

I followed Rusty and Eddie into a nice spacious, neat bedroom. There were two single beds, two dressers, two laundry hampers, a TV and a loveseat. I said, “Eddie, it looks like you live here.”

The boys started taking off their Sun Britches and Eddie said, “Pretty much. Mom split and Dad’s in the Navy”, he pointed to a couple of pictures on his dresser: one of an AEGIS class missile cruiser and the other was Lt Commander Edward Taylor, senior. “Mike and Rusty are my favorite cousins. They let me stay here while Dad is deployed.”

Rusty said, “That’s nice of you Eddie.”

“Well, it’s true.”

I kicked off my shoes, slipped out of my jeans and saw Rusty taking a good look in the mirror. I winked at him and he blushed.

Eddie was completely naked first followed by Rusty but I had only gotten to my boxers. Eddie preened and said, “This is me naked.” He pulled on one of the tight fitting swimsuits and said, “Near naked. Which is best?”

Rusty flounced out of his boxers and said, “Nakky”, slipped into one of the skimpy swimsuits and said, “Near nakky.”

Getting into the spirit of things, I lost my boxers and said, “Naked”, slipped on Frank’s favorite red Speedos, “Near naked. What do you think?”

Rusty said, “I don’t know. I’d have to see you naked again just to be sure. They both look pretty good to me. What do you think Eddie?”

Eddie grinned and said, “You’re right Rusty. We definitely need another look naked. I’m leaning toward naked.”

I sat on the loveseat and said, “This will have to do for now. Come here you two.”

They sat beside me on the loveseat with prominent bulges and I said, “You two and Mike are very special to me because you helped Joey risking trouble with you Dad. You are good-hearted boys and, I’m glad to have you on our team.”

Rusty said, “I think I’m more horny-hearted than good-hearted.”

Eddie said, “Me too.”

“That’s not bad, it’s just how boys your age are made. There is something you guys haven’t thought of: you’ve only really met our day shift so far.”

Eddie said, “There are more?”

“There is the Game Zone night shift, some kids from my neighborhood and a few that take care of Lakeshore Park. That’s the group I’m going to put Mike with because he needs some friends his age. You’ll get to meet the whole bunch tonight and, a lot of them are your age.”

Rusty said, “Thanks for hooking us up today. That was wild. Are you sure there’s nothing we can do to pay you back?”

“You don’t have to pay me back. I’m sorry we can’t do much but, later tonight, if you don’t get laid with a hottie, you just don’t want to.”

We all heard Mike’s car pull up outside and I said, “Now we get to see how Mike and Joey look in their suits.”

Rusty snickered and said, “Mike will get a boner.”

I said, “That’s half the fun with these. You can’t exactly fake it if you’re interested.”

We heard them come down stairs and Eddie raised his voice, “We’re in here.”

Mike and Joey entered the room with a duffle bag and their eyes widened. I said, “Welcome guys. Mike, grab some of the white shorts for work and a swimming suit out of that bag. You’ll want to try them on. Joey, have you got some of these?”

Joey said, “I’m borrowing some but they’re too big. You might have a better size for me in here.”

On the couch we clapped and cheered as Mike and Joey did a strip-tease and slipped into their new swim suits. Rusty was almost right. Mike did chub up a bit. Joey took unscrupulous advantage of his status as my ward and hopped in my lap. Mike took a seat on the foot of Eddie’s bed.

I said, “I detect conspiracy here. You guys set this up.”

Joey said, “I knew you would be watching the cameras and would catch us. You’re always looking out for your boys.”

“We all need that”, Mike said. “When Joey told us about you, I knew we all needed you. We want to be your boys too. I love these guys and try to look out for them but, I need a keeper as much as they do.”

I sighed and said, “Rusty, Eddie: you too?”

Rusty said, “I was in love with you before you even got in the car last night.”

“Me too”, Eddie insisted. “You’re so hot and, it’s the way you treated us without even knowing us. Then we talked to the guys we knew from school that work at the Game Zone. The way they talk about you, we had to get to know you.”

I shrugged and said, “OK. You are already in. I hate to disappoint you but, as much fun as it would be, we’re not having an orgy. What I am going to do is spend a few minutes alone with each of you to get to know you. To make it fair, we’ll draw for the order. The rest of you go play in the pool or hang out in Mike’s room.”

There was a matchbook on the coffee table and a pen. I tore off four matches and put their initials on each one. I said, “Who wants to draw?”

Joey volunteered and I said, “This is for the order you go in. Draw Joey.”

Eddie got the first spot, Joey the second, Mike the third and Rusty the fourth.

Joey, Mike and Rusty scrammed leaving me alone with Eddie.

 

Eddie

 

I flipped off the overhead lights and flipped on a black light. It made the room much darker and an old lava lamp gave the lighting a purple tint.

Eddie appeared nervous and I asked, “Are you OK?”

“I’m OK; I just never though it would happen. What are we going to do?”

I said, “Nothing you don’t want to do. If I start something you don’t like, just say so. My whole objective here is to show you that I like you and make you feel comfortable. Is that OK?”

Eddie got a mischievous look and said, “I guess I’m like the junior high kid that bagged a super model and, now I’m not sure what to do.”

“I suggest we move to the bed. I’m going to give you a back rub to relax you and we’ll decide where to go from there.”

I spotted a big beach towel and spread it over Eddie’s bed. He slipped out of the swim suit and lay on his stomach. I began massaging his back using his pressure point to relieve stress.

I asked, “Tell me about how you came to be here. I feel like there was a lot of trauma in it for you the way you looked at your Dad’s picture.”

Eddie said, “When we lived on the base at Norfolk, my Mom was big on having baby sitters for me. By the time I got to be eleven, I didn’t want them to be girls. Older boys were cool and, I was starting to notice them. Anyway we found one and he would come over after school and hang out with me until Mom got home at seven. His name was Chris Kellum and he was thirteen, tall and cool. He wasn’t like the bossy girls. He was more of a friend. We would play together and wrestle and stuff. Anyway, we would get hard when we wrestled and it felt good. Then we started wrestling in our underwear and finally naked. Then we were just wrestling naked one thing led to another. We started sucking each other. I couldn’t cum yet but it felt so good I didn’t care. Then the inevitable happened.”

“We got sloppy and Mom caught us. She told Chris to go away and never come back. She… said things to me... I’d have rather she hit me. It wouldn’t have hurt as much. I don’t think she ever told Dad but, it was clear she didn’t want a queer. She left us as soon as he got home from his deployment. He couldn’t just up and quit the Navy so he called his brother and, that’s how I ended up here with Rusty and Mike.”

I said, “You didn’t deserve that Eddie. You were just being boys.”

Eddie sighed and said, “How can you own Mom walk away from you?”

I put my arms around him and said, “I don’t know. Some people get some fucked up ideas— usually from religion. Lots of boys that age do stuff like you described. They enjoy it because it feels good and don’t grow up gay. I promise you something.”

“What?”

“I’ll never walk away from you.”

Eddie didn’t say anything. He needed me to hold him for a while. What Eddie really needed was security and affection.

 

Joey

 

Joey came in and said, “Eddie said it was my turn.”

“It is. Come here Joey.”

He closed the door, ran and jumped into my lap. Of course I was only wearing a skimpy bathing suit so neither of us was overdressed.

He smiled at me and said, “Eddie was right. This is cool. I like it.”

I said, “In the future, talk to me about bringing in new people. I liked all three of them when I met them last night.”

Joey said, “Seriously Tim: they’re my best friends and, all three of them need you looking out for them.”

I said, “Well, you’ve been a very good boy. You’ve given me Mike, Rusty and Eddie. Angel is going to be with us too. Do you have any more buddies I should know about?”

Joey looked thoughtful and said, “None for now except for maybe Dick. He’s really sweet in his own way and, he’s lonely.”

“I’m going to see him later. If he’s a good boy, I might bring him up on the late bus but, only if you want me to. Let’s start calling him Rich. He prefers it.”

Joey snickered and said, “Bring him. Maybe we can call him Rich Dick.”

“Be nice. I’m going to see Mike and Rusty shortly. Is there anything you can tell me about them I should know?”

Joey looked thoughtful and said, “Yeah. Mike is really sweet. Many times I jumped the fence, came in through the sliding glass door and just slept with him when things were bad at my house. Of course Rusty, Eddie or both of them were usually there too. We call him the Cuddle Monster.”

“The bad side of Mikie is he’s scatter-brained and, he does things without thinking sometimes. He forgets stuff he’s supposed to do and that gets him in trouble with his Dad.”

“What are the Bowers like?”

“Mona is a really sweet lady. They’ve both been really distracted with his father. He has a big farm near Tupelo. He had a heart attack this spring and they’ve been back and forth ever since. Their Dad Michael is OK, just never let him see you get arrested. Oh, his Dad will be overjoyed Mikie has got a job.”

I chuckled, “Yeah. That arrest thing would be awkward. Do their parents know they’re gay?”

“If they don’t, they’re world class clueless.”

“It happens a lot in the South. Parents just don’t think their sweet little Mikie or Rusty could be one of those horrible homosexuals their preachers gas on about. What about Rusty?”

Joey said, “Rusty looks sweet and innocent but, he’s a horny one. Some kids at school gave him trouble about it last year about an inconvenient boner. He snarked right back at them at least mine is big enough to notice.”

I laughed and said, “I like him already.”

Joey continued, “Rusty had a crush on Angel for a while, of course. Everybody does. College guys are his thing so you fit his fantasies to a tee.”

I sighed and said, “Lucky me.”

Joey said, “There is a way out for you with Rusty short of a felony. He loves to be held, cuddled and played with. That’s one of the reasons he gets along so well with Mikie. Eddie does too but Rusty lives for it.”

“Thank you Joey. Anything I can do for you? I mean besides sitting here letting you feel me up.”

Joey chuckled and said, “I am enjoying that. Living with Mom, I missed out on a lot of stuff like having a bike, a dog and going fishing.”

“We can fix that. I’m not sure Frank’s cat will enjoy sharing his boys with a dog. Whose bike was that you were riding at the park?”

“It belongs to Eddie. We just brought it back from my house and put it in the Bower’s garage.”

Joey’s hand relinquished my cock then he hugged me. He spoke in my ear, “It’s taking some getting used to but, you really want to be my Dad. At first I thought you wanted sex and were just being cagey about it until I met the rest of your guys. Then I knew for sure.”

I said, “You know what I think Joey?”

“What?”

“I don’t think Rusty and Eddie aren’t the only ones that like to be hugged, cuddled and played with and, I’m just the guy for the job.”

 

Mikie

 

Mikie came into the dimly illuminated room as nervous and uncertain as Eddie had been. He sat beside me on the loveseat; the elastic in his swimsuit straining against his erection.

He asked, “What did you do with Eddie and Joey?”

“I had to figure out what they really needed from me.”

He chuckled and said, “They both seemed pretty happy afterwards.”

“Good. They both wanted sex and, I showed them they needed something else… Cuddle Monster.”

Even in the dim glow I could see him blush. “Oh God. They told you about that?”

I pulled him into a hug and said, “Yes Mikie. Your stock went way up with me when they did. You’ve been good for them. They needed a Cuddle Monster to love them, give them comfort and the occasional blow job. All three of the boys have enough demons to scare off an exorcist and you’ve been the one they go to. Now, who do you go to?”

He whispered, “No one.”

“That changes now, you’ve got me. Does your father know you’re gay Mikie?”

“Probably. He’s knows what happened when I was eleven.”

“Tell me about it.”

“Some of us kids on our little league team were fooling around. Our coach caught us and blackmailed us into sucking him off. He wanted to fuck us, pushed some of the boys too far and got arrested. The worst part was the police and, it all coming out in the papers. Mom and Dad were really pissed and sued the league.”

“I was in college when that happened. It was all over the news. Apparently, it wasn’t the first time that mutt had done it.”

“Yeah. The papers didn’t name us but, everyone knew who was on that team. We all took a lot of grief at school about it. In time, they forgot about it but, for a while kids gave us a lot of shit over it. I hated that and never even looked at any kids at school except for that drummer in band and decided to wait until college.”

“Then Rusty and his buddies came along needing a Cuddle Monster.”

Mikie chuckled and said, “Yeah. That was a rude but pleasant awakening.”

“Do you know why he did that?”

Mikie shook his head.

“That’s how he got along in group homes. He picked out the biggest boy and made them his friend.”

Mikie looked stricken and I said, “It’s not uncommon. A couple of my boys had similar experiences in group homes. They both made passes at me first day we met. At least I was awake when they did. I didn’t tell you that to make you feel guilty. I wanted you to understand how Rusty’s head works and, why we both need to look out for him.”

“Now Mikie, what I think you need is to find out how we big boys do it. Are you up for it?”

Boy was he ever. I made him cum three times and gave him a good taste of big-boy dick.

 

Rusty

 

Rusty came in the room and went to his dresser. In the dark I couldn’t see exactly what he was doing. He rummaged in his dresser for a moment, pulled off his swimsuit and put something else on. When he came around his bed, I could see he was wearing a very sexy red and black jock like the one Jeb wore from time to time.

I said, “Looking good Rusty.”

He sat in my lap on the love seat and said, “I’m glad I was last. It gave me a little time to think.”

“What have you been thinking?”

“I met Rory and Frank and, I know Ray from school. You like red heads.”

I chuckled and said, “You’re not wrong about that Rusty. You are a cute one now and, I expect you’ll grow up to be stunning. What else have you been thinking?”

“I want you to be my Alpha.”

I leaned over, kissed his neck and he shivered. “Rusty, if we’re going to do this, there are rules. We will both have responsibilities and, I want you to know what you are getting into.”

Rusty asked, “What do I have to do?”

“I said we both have responsibilities. Mine are most important. I will respect and love you. I won’t use you as a sex toy. I will guide, protect and look out for you. I will discipline you when you need it and reward you when you do well. I will see to it you get the best possible education and, you will have a place in my organization. Those are my responsibilities. They will change with time but are for life. Do you understand?”

Rusty said, “This is… for life? Did you just say you would send me to college? What do I have to do?”

I said, “Yes. I will be here for you as long as I Iive. If you are qualified, I’ll even send you to an Ivy League school. Your responsibilities are: our relationship must always be discrete and, always tell me the truth. You can do what you want with other kids. I fact, I have just the right boyfriend in mind for you. This is the important part: I am the only adult you will be with until you come of age. Think before you answer. This isn’t just a quickie with a fuck buddy. This is for life.”

He asked, “Is this like marriage?”

I chuckled and said, “God I hope not! I want us to be friends. It’s more like you become a part of my family like a favorite nephew or cousin. You’ll always have a place with me.”

“Who do you have in mind for a boyfriend for me?”

“Larry Holloway.”

Rusty sucked in his breath and said, “He’s hot. Can you really make him my boyfriend?”

“No. That’s up to you. I can introduce you and, tell him you’re something special. It’ll be up to you from there.”

Rusty looked down and said, “I’m nothing special…”

I turned his head and kissed him right on the lips; not a friendly peck or a tequila drunk frat brothers in the dark kiss but, one of those you reserve for someone special on a big holiday. I broke it and kissed his neck and chest saying, “I”, kiss, “beg”, kiss, “to”, kiss, “differ.”

“You are very special Rusty Bowers. Take you Alpha’s word for it. You are just a pup now but, by the time you’re grown, you are going to be a real prize. Now am I going to have to sniff, lick and hump you to prove it?”

Who knew Rusty would be a stickler for protocol.

 

 

When we were dressed and the boys had their overnight bag packed, they closed up the basement and I followed them upstairs. I stopped them in the kitchen and said, “Mike, call you grandfather’s place. You’ve got some good news to share with your parents.”

Eddie chuckled and said, “This will be fun.”

“Yeah”, Rusty said grinning. “We usually only call them with our latest disaster. It’ll be a nice change of pace.”

Mike picked up the wall phone, consulted a hand written list of numbers by the phone, pushed the speaker phone button and dialed. It rang a couple of times and we could hear a woman’s voice answer, “Bowers Farm.”

“Hi Mom, its Mike.”

“Oh no. What’s wrong this time?”

“There’s no disaster this time Mom. I’ve got a job. So do Rusty and Eddie if you give them permission.”

“Oh Mikie, that’s great news. What did you get?”

“I’ll be working with the crew that takes care of Dockside Park. Rusty and Eddie have a job with the new video game arcade called the Game Zone. They’re friends with the owner’s boys.”

“Excellent! You’ll be working for Tim Shepherd.”

I said, “Yes Mam. I think it’ll be good for all three of them. Game Zone is sort of designed to be a first job for kids and, I’ll be working with the Blue Team guys personally: that’s Lakeview Facilities Management.”

“Boys, we’ve known Tim and his father for years. I’m proud that he would hire you and I’m sure he’ll be a great boss. Pay attention and do a good job for him and you’ll learn a lot.”

All three said, “Yes Mam.”

“May I have a word with you Mona?”

“Sure Tim.”

I took the phones handset, flipped off the speakerphone and told the boys to scoot. “Mona. The boys said you and Michael have been spending a lot of time at his Dad’s place since his heart attack.”

“Yes. I’m not sure if we can save it but we’ve got to try.”

“Take down this number: 901-555-5555. It’s my Dad’s Good Shepherd Foundation. He came from farmers and knows what a struggle it can be to keep a farm in the family. They offer low interest loans and grants for people in your position. Ask for Shelly Foreman and tell her I told you to call.”

“That’s… wonderful. Dad has been hanging on by his fingernails for years and then he pushed himself too far. We really want to keep the place in the family.”

“They will help. There’s something else you need to know: Joey Ashcraft’s Mother got a DUI the other day. It’s not her first one and she is going away for a while. The Judge knew me and, I’m Joey’s guardian now.”

She sighed and said, “I’m glad. Joey is a sweet kid. I’m sorry it had to come to this but, it’s the best thing that could have happened for him.”

“Apparently, all Joey needed to be a sweet kid and not a little ruffian was some stability and regular meals. Your boys said you had banned him. I hope you’ll reconsider.”

“I hated it but, when he got arrested right in front of us, we had to think of our boys. You tell Joey we love him. Rebel, not so much. Oh, and I know the boys helped him despite the ban.”

“I understand. I know you guys are tied up so, I wanted you to know I’ll be looking after them for you.”

“Thank you Tim. It’s Mikie that really needs it. He’s just so scatter brained.”

I asked, “Have you ever had him evaluated for Attention Deficit Disorder?”

She paused and asked, “What is that?”

“Mikie reminds me a lot of my cousin Richard. When he was in junior high, he worked hard in school but only made B’s and C’s. One of his teachers had a district psychologist evaluate him and he had something they call Attention Deficit Disorder. It simply means that he has trouble focusing and he gets distracted easily. There’s a treatment for it and it works very well.”

Mona said, “That sounds a whole lot like Mikie.”

“I have a doctor that looks after my other boys. I’ll have him take a look at Mikie. After ninth grade, Richard never made anything less than a B.”

“Thank you Tim. You are pretty young. How many kids do you have?”

“Counting these three, about fifty-five.”

“Oh my God! Fifty-five?”

“I know. Not all of them are mine, they just work for me but, I try to look out for all of them. It may sound a little crazy but, it works better than you might think. I use the older ones like sergeants and squad leaders and I have them all looking after each other. Let me know when you get back in town. I’ll have you and Michael over for supper and you’ll see it’s not as nuts as it sounds.”

“This I’ve got to see. You’re on.”

 

After I finished up with Mona, I tracked down the boys and said, “It’s time to roll.”

Rusty asked nervously, “What did you talk to Mom about?”

“I know a foundation that offers low interest loans and grants to farmers that can help them save your Grandfathers place.”

Mikie said, “That’s awesome!”

I put my hand on Joey’s shoulder and said, “…and I told her about Joey’s change of circumstances. He’s no longer banned and, she is delighted things are better for you Joey.”

Joey smiled and said, “I’m glad to be off Michael and Mona’s shit list.”

“Your Mom knew you were helping him and was fine with it.”

On the way back to the Game Zone, Mikie said, “I detect conspiracy. You didn’t mention you knew my folks.”

“I wasn’t sure I did until I heard your Mom’s voice. Your Dad was a hunting buddy of my Dad’s years ago. We’ve met before but you were so young I doubt you would remember. Your father has been hunting where we are going tonight but, I doubt he would recognize the place now. Arrowhead Lodge is a whole lot nicer than it used to be.”

We got back to the Game Zone with twenty minutes to spare. The day shift was boarding the bus so I told the Bowers boys to go ahead and mount up.

I looked for Larry and couldn’t spot him so I went into the office to find it unmanned during the shift change. I sat down at the video console and looked around and spotted him finishing up a burger in the grill.

I caught up with him and handed him the overnight bag with his and Tommy’s things.

He asked, “Where’s Tommy?”

“He will be on the late bus. I got him stoned and he’s sleeping it off at my house. It was the only thing I could think of to keep him off that ankle for a while. Do you know Rusty Bowers?”

Larry thought for a moment and said, “Yeah. He’s pretty cute. He’s going to be an eighth grader.”

“You should get to know him on this trip.”

Larry’s eyebrows went up in surprise and he asked, “Does he like me?”

“He’s saving you a seat. Why don’t you go find out?”

Larry swallowed the remainder of his burger and moved to go and I stopped him. I pointed out some wayward mustard on his lips. After dumping his tray, he was off like a shot.

Arron, having just taken over the grill asked, “What did you say to Larry? He’s not late is he?”

“No. Just there’s a cute boy on the bus saving him a seat. Pass the word to the night shift. I’ve got pay checks in the office. As soon as the bus is away, come get them and, we’ll try to get them to the bank before five.”

Five minutes before the bus rolled out, I went aboard. Just behind the driver were Jeb and Lee with Randy and Rory right across the aisle. Ritchie sat with Frank, Mihn and Sang sat with Toby and Cole and Brandon and Barry sat right behind him. Joey and Matty were sitting in front of Larry and Rusty followed by a cluster of Ray’s team mates: Leo Lewis, Mike Sims and Stacy Frasier mingled with Kevin and Roderick and Brian.

Big Ted, Rodney, Grant and Marcus were all making themselves comfortable with Jeff Blake, Tyler Reynolds and Travis Meadows chatting with the guys from Big Sandy: Angel Denardo, Adrian Moss, Seth Wilder and Gary Jones.

I got to Ritchie’s boys Billy and Robbie sitting next to Scotty and Gene but, Tracy was missing.

“Hey Billy, where is Tracy?”

Billy said, “He’s on the night shift.”

“Oh, right. Listen up guys: When you get to the lodge, my cousins will be waiting. They’ll have supper for you. Have some fun but, try to get some sleep. This is just a quick getaway and you’ll be headed back at eight in the morning. The rest of us will be up there about midnight then the games will begin. Have fun and I’ll see you soon.”

I got smiles and fist bumps on the way out and, I noticed Rusty’s head disappear and, a look of surprise on Larry’s face. Good.

 

 

xxiii.

I quickly cycled through the night crew handing out checks, visiting with them briefly and Tony was good enough to shuttle the boys to the bank. We managed to get everybody taken care of by four.

Once everyone was settled in and things were running smoothly, I went up front and spoke to Danny and Tony who were running the shift. I told them that I was going to the house for a while and then I would take the Blue Team guys to dinner and would be back around eight or so.

I drove home to a very quiet house. Marie and Sharon were out, day shift was on its way to Arrowhead and night shift was at the Game Zone.

I went upstairs and found Tommy where I left him. I lay down beside him and wrapped him up in a hug.

Tommy yawned and said, “I was really comfortable but this is pretty cool too.”

“How is the ankle?”

“It feels fine. Did you trick me into staying off of it for a few hours to make it better?”

“Not really. It was just a happy coincidence. Are you up for more mischief?”

Tommy asked suspiciously, “What kind of mischief?”

“Let’s go get wet in the new pool.”

“I’m still asleep.”

“Guess I’ll have to tickle you until you wake up.”

That did the trick. Tommy soaked up the attention and recharged like a battery. He put on one of the new swim suits, flip-flops and combed his hair for the walk to the park.

I put on some board shorts, flip-flops, and grabbed my gym bag and a couple of towels.

On the path I said, “Do you know a guy that cruises the park in a Volvo?”

Tommy said, “Yeah, I’ve met him. Adam and I were hanging out in the barn late one afternoon when that dirty cop caught up with him in the old bathroom. We heard what he did to him. That cop slapped him around and called him all sorts of names. It sounded awful. Afterwards, we checked on him and, he swore us to secrecy. He smoked a joint with us and talked to us like we weren’t just dumb kids. I know he had a thing with Steven for a while and Cory too probably. He’s actually pretty cool.”

“Did you ever do anything with him?”

“He was nice to Adam and me but, I think we were too little to catch his eye. You might ask Larry or Aaron. There were some high school guys he used to hang out with but I haven’t seen them around this summer.”

“Thanks Tommy. I expect he’ll be here at the park this afternoon. I’m going to talk to him. I think our old friend the Deputy messed with his head.”

“Rich is all right. He warned us about that guy, tried to warn us about Andrew and, he was nice to us. A lot of older guys act like we don’t exist. There’s his car up near the pool.”

We walked to the pool and went through the building to gain entry.

In the entry vestibule Tommy said, “This is the first time I’ve been in it since it was rebuilt. It’s a lot nicer than it used to be.”

I chuckled and said, “This morning when we ran, Jo Jo said the old one smelled like piss and old sweat so the bar was set pretty low.”

The Men’s Room door opened and I instantly recognized Alan’s younger brother Jacob wearing a towel around his waist. Like most of the Porter clan, he had straight jet black hair, a dark complexion and warm brown eyes. On seeing me he smiled broadly.

I said, “Jacob. I see you made it home from Disneyworld in one piece.”

Jacob reached out to Tommy, bumped knuckles with him and said, “We got back while you were in the hospital. It was a really weird trip because Dad got pissed and left Alan. Then he worried about him the whole time. When we got back and he found out he was staying with you, he was relieved. When Alan showed up at the house Sunday with a job and a decent haircut, Dad was ecstatic. I’d say you are one of his favorite people now. He said you did such a good job on Alan, he might send Mike and me to you to work on.”

Tommy cracked up and Jacob asked, “What’s so funny?”

Tommy said, “I just imagined Tim as the teen tamer with a bullwhip and a chair. He’s actually pretty good at it. Larry and I used to fight all the time but since Tim sort of adopted us, we’re both a lot better off. I’m going to go get in the pool. You two should probably talk.”

I pushed through the Men’s room door. Jacob followed me through the bathroom and into the changing room and shower. I put a quarter into one of the lockers and put my gym bag, wallet and assorted stuff in there.

Jacob smiled and said, “I visited Alan while you were recovering from that wreck. I know a bunch of the guys staying with you. Are they all gay?”

I was a little taken aback by Jacob’s bluntness so I decided to be just as direct. “Some are, some are bisexual, some have been badly abused and are sorting it out and, some are so young they’re still figuring out where they stand. They need somebody looking out for them. I hope that doesn’t bug you.”

Jacob said, “Not at all. I think it’s cool. One of my best friends is Jo Jo Smith. I’ve been hoping one of those cute twin lifeguards would come in here.”

“Yeah, the Knight twins are easy to look at. Are you gay or just horny?”

Jacob shrugged and said, “Horny for sure. I love sex.”

I chuckled and said, “You and everybody else on the planet.”

“I guess I’m bi because I get hard for boys and girls. I was kind of hoping me and Mike could hang out with you guys.”

“Mike too”, I asked incredulously?

Jacob grinned and said, “I’ve caught Mike and Adrian so often, we cover for each other. I’ve really been missing Jo Jo and finally caught up with him at your house. So… could Mike and me hang out with you guys?”

“Come here Jacob.”

He came close. I picked him up in a hug and he lost his towel. He was nude underneath and wrapped his legs around me. “You and Mike are family. I’d look out for you anyway. You Porter boys being so cute is a nice bonus. I plan on hiring your brother to work here in the park and, there’s a place for you at Game Zone if you want it.”

“I’d like that a lot”, he said and shivered. “I like this a lot. This feels really good.”

I grabbed my keys, locked the door and said, “I’m a little surprised you were nude under your towel.”

“I was hoping for some company.”

“Are you disappointed?”

“No. I was horny to start with and this feels so good.”

“I’m just hugging my sweet little cousin.”

Jacob’s started breathing fast and hard. I felt him squeeze me tighter and he asked breathlessly, “I couldn’t talk you into blowing me could I?”

“This will have to do for today.”

“No offense. When I get horny I get dumb.”

“None taken. Everybody does.”

“Why am I so horny all the time?”

“When Andrew got busted, I stole his red book so the cops wouldn’t make a circus out of things. I know he got you high and got you started with sex way too soon. Porters are naturally pretty horny and mature a tad early.”

Jacob trembled in my arms and said, “Alan warned me to stay away from him but I didn’t listen. I’d never even cum before. He got me high and did stuff I really like.”

“I know Jacob. He did that to a lot of boys. Sex is like a drug. It’s very addictive. Once you start, you don’t want to stop but, gay sex is dangerous now. You’ve got to be a lot more careful than cruising locker rooms.”

Jacob hung his head and I said, “Look at me Jacob. Don’t be ashamed. The only thing you’re guilty of is being a horny boy. There aren’t any instruction booklets for boys and we all have to figure it out on our own. There are a lot of boys in our crowd that are just as cute and horny as you are. Maybe you could find one and be cute and horny together. You and Tommy would be a really cute couple and I’m told he’s got real talent.”

Jacob moaned and said, “I’d like that. Alan said all of your guys get tested so they’re all OK.”

“He’s right. I know boys your age a little horn dogs. It makes you vulnerable to a lot of bad things and people. I’ll protect you from creeps like Andrew and, teach you how to avoid AIDS. I want you and Mike to join us.”

Jacob’s movements and twitches betrayed how horny he was. He moaned, kissed my neck and said, “Better put me down or I’m going to nut on you.”

I chuckled and said, “That’s OK. I can tell you need blast one out.”

He, shook, moaned, kissed me on the lips. Apparently that pushed him over the edge and he said, “I warned you.”

He had a trembling, gasping orgasm in my arms and nutted a copious amount on my abs. I held him as he caught his breath.

He lay his head on my shoulder gasping and said, “Thanks Tim. You can hug your little cousin anytime.”

I put him down and said, “You’re not so little anymore. You must have needed that. I could stand this towel in the corner.”

“If anybody ever asks, I can truthfully say you give the best hugs ever.”

I hugged him again, this time not quite so intimately, and said, “It is easy and fun to hug a cutie like you Jacob. You got that special hug because I could tell you needed it. Have you ever been to Arrowhead Lodge?”

Jacob, relishing the attention, hugged me back and said, “Dad’s taken us up there a few times.”

“I’m taking my guys up there tonight and it would be a good time for you and Mike to get to know us. Oh, and let Mike know Adrian and your brother will be there.”

Jacob said, “Dad will be so happy to hear Mike and I got jobs, I’m sure he’ll say yes.”

“Get together with Mike and pack an overnight bag. Meet us at the Game Zone about eight or better yet, I’m taking some of the guys to supper about six-thirty if you can get ready quick enough. Be sure to leave any shyness at home.”

 

Bobby and Tommy Knight were the lifeguards on duty. One was in the elevated chair under a parasol and Rich was sitting in a chair next to the other twin talking in the shade. Little Tommy was sitting beside them.

I walked up to Rich and determined by the voice he was talking to Bobby. “Hey guys. This is my cousin Jacob. How did the first day go Bobby?”

Bobby, obviously pleased I could tell him and his brother apart, said, “Well, we survived getting hit on by young mothers, some little girls and a boy or two. It’s been fun but it’s real slow now. The kids started vanishing about three-thirty in the heat of the day. Have you met Rich?”

I patted Rich on the shoulder and said, “We’ve met. How do you like the new park?”

Jacob interjected, “I’m going to find Mike. We’ll be at your house around six. See y’all soon.”

Rich said, “It’s much better. The old park was looking pretty sad. What time do you close?”

Bobby answered, “We close the pool and Skate Park at six but, the rest of the park is open until dark.”

I said, “When you’re done, I’m going to take you guys to supper. Then we can relax a while and, catch the bus for Arrowhead. You’re invited Rich. That’s what I meant by staying over. We’ll be back by nine in the morning.”

Little Tommy leaned over and whispered something in Rich’s ear. He looked surprised and shot me a look.

Rich said, “Thanks for telling me that Tommy.”

Little Tommy said, “I’m going to catch up with Jacob. I’ll see you at your house.”

Bobby said, “My brother and I went through the same shit with that Deputy. Tim found out what he was doing and got him busted. He talked to the judge and got us off the hook from his bullshit charges. That’s why we love Tim. Maybe you should have a talk with him.”

Rich said, “My best friend joined the Marines and left right after graduation just to get away from that creep. Several others made decisions like that just to get away. When I heard he finally got caught, it was like getting my life back.”

I asked, “How long did he have you on the hook?”

Rich said, “I had to meet him every couple of weeks from just before Thanksgiving my junior year until he got busted. It was a nightmare.”

I said, “I’m sorry you had to go through that. Let’s go back to my house and get out of the heat. Bobby, as soon as you guys are done, come to the house and we’ll go get supper.”

 

xxiv.

Rich drove us so he could park at my house. He parked beside Angel’s Mercedes and said, “Is Angel with you guys too?”

“Yeah. The day shift guys are probably already at Arrowhead by now. He’s Marie’s nephew and Tony’s cousin. Both of his parents were killed in the Parsonage Massacre so, it’s good for him to be around family and friends. Come on. We’ve got the house to ourselves for a while.”

Rich followed me into the garage and said, “The thing is, I liked some of the stuff the Deputy did to me. I got a weird, confusing mix of excitement and dread when I had to meet up with him.”

I stopped in the garage and asked, “That’s pretty common with sexual abuse. What did you like and what did you hate?”

Rich looked tense and said, “Well, he was really rough. He liked hurting me. Oddly enough, I got a charge out of him handcuffing me. He would fuck me raw. I really hated that. I learned to lube myself beforehand and we both liked it better. He would say stuff that was really ugly that pissed me off. He seemed to get off on humiliating me. He would give me coke and weed but, it wasn’t worth the abuse. He did other stuff that was just plain sick to humiliate me.”

“Would you like a bong hit?”

He said, “Please. Talking about that stuff makes me feel really weird.”

I led Rich into the basement and to the room I had set aside for partying. We sat in a love seat and took a few bong hits to get him relaxed. He told me the complete nauseating story of being caught with weed and having sex with his best friend Andy Cauthen by the Deputy. Then the Deputy essentially raped and tormented him every two weeks. The Deputy had done stuff to Andy too but met with him on different days. By the time Rich was done, I was holding him in my arms.

“I apologize Rich. My impression of you was completely wrong. I completely misjudged you based on Steven and Joey. I thought you were just a horny jock that liked blow jobs from younger kids. I had no idea you had this going on.”

He chuckled and said, “I am a horny jock and since Andy left for boot camp, I’ve been getting them where I could find them. Seriously though— I’ve been picking partners that didn’t scare me.”

I ran my hands over his shoulder and said, “Do you know why he was so cruel to you Rich?”

“I just thought he was a sadistic bastard.”

“He was but, he treated all the boys differently. One he required blow jobs from. He sucked off some and had another one fucked him.”

Rich jerked and said, “No way.”

“I’ve been cleaning up some of the messes he made with Frank, Kevin, the Knight twins and now you. He hated you for a reason: you were everything he was not. You’re a good looking athlete from a well off family and, had a boyfriend. He was punishing you by hurting and humiliating you out of jealousy. I’ll bet he had a little dick too.”

Rich said, “How the hell did you know that?”

I ran a hand over his bulging crotch and said, “It all fits a pattern. That Deputy was a small, angry man. The power his badge made him become a petty, sadistic tyrant. He took out all of his lust, anger and frustration on you boys. I’m hope his prison experience will be long, unpleasant and humiliatingly pornographic. Rich, what you’ve gone through can’t help but leave scars. I’ve got a couple of shrinks that see my boys about similar issues. I’d like for you to see them.”

Rich said, “I don’t know about that. I haven’t talked to anyone about it because it makes me disgusted with myself for getting horny.”

“There is a saying Rich: Sex is like pizza: when it’s good, it’s really, really good. Even when it’s bad, it’s still pretty good. This is the kind of thing a good therapist could talk you through.”

He chuckled and said, “You seem to be doing a pretty good job of it. Besides for liking light bondage, I learned to like it when he would cum in my ass. I was terrified that creep would give me AIDS so I started getting tested. I know you get tested too so… would you tie me up and fuck me bareback? I’m all ready for it. I gave myself an enema and lubed myself. Please?”

I kissed his neck and said, “Rich, that’s not uncommon. A lot of guys like that. It’s one of the reasons AIDS has hit the gay community so hard. I’ll do it for you under conditions. I want you to see the shrinks, if you fuck anybody in our group, use a condom and, if you do anything with our under sixteen crowd, be gentle with them and as good to them as they are to you. I know Joey and Steven like that big cock of yours.”

Rich asked quietly with a bitter tone of self-loathing, “I agree but, are you sure you want me? I’m damaged goods and I know it.”

“Everybody in our group, me included, has gone through some rotten, even evil stuff Rich. Having baggage is practically a pre-requisite. Have you ever heard of twelve step groups like alcoholics anonymous?”

“Sure. I’ve got a cousin who has been sober twelve years in AA.”

I said, “The reason it works is because it is alcoholics helping alcoholics stay sober. They know what each other are going through. We’re the same: the abuse and circumstances may have been different but, we’re all fighting the same demons. It makes you feel dirty, defiled and think no one will want you if they know what you’ve been though.”

Rich said, “Damn it, stop reading my mind”, and playfully shoved me with his elbow.

I ran my hand under his shirt, across a nipple, kissed his neck and made him wiggle a bit. I turned his head towards me and kissed him leaving him breathless.

“I don’t have to be psychic to tell what you need. Come on. I’ll show you what it’s like make love with someone that isn’t trying to punish you. I won’t even have to tie you up.”

 

Fifteen minutes later Rich was riding my cock, grinding away and breathing hard. My chest was dribbled in his pre-cum from his drooling cock and I was balls deep inside him. Rich was sucking my tongue when I came inside him. The sensation drove him over the edge. His first jet flew over my head and landed with a splat behind me. The next one went right up my nose— both nostrils. The third caught me in the chin. The rest landed harmlessly on my chest and abs. He collapsed on me in a slimy, slippery mess laughing as I sneezed his spoo on both of us.

We got up from the bed laughing and I dragged him into the shower where we cleaned up. Then we stood under the water holding each other.

I said, “This is how it’s supposed to be Rich. The moans should be of pleasure, not pain. Sex should lift you up, not humiliate you.”

“Thank you Tim. I didn’t know it could be so good. I could really get used to you being inside me.”

“I could really get used to being inside you if you will agree: I will be the only one who fucks you bareback.”

Rich sighed and said, “There’s still Andy. I love him.”

“I understand. That’s not going to be an issue for a long time. Tonight, I’m going to talk to everyone and explain what I have in mind for our group. We’ll get together later, talk and I’ll introduce you around. Unlike a lot of my guys, you’re legal. We can do what we like and no one can say shit about it.”

“My Dad would be furious and, what about Frank?”

“We are discrete. This isn’t one of the big cities where we have Pride Parades, dance around in our underwear and have a dozen gay bars to choose from. Frank will probably want a taste of that nice big cock himself. Now— let’s get dressed. The guys will be back from the park soon.”

Rich grabbed my cock, gave me a hungry kiss and said, “I’ve needed that for weeks. Any chance we can go for two?”

I said in a mock cop voice, “All right you sexy miscreant. Up against the wall and assume the position. I’m going to search you for orgasms.”

We managed to find a couple.

 

xxv.

After Rich and I finished up and got dressed, we went upstairs to my office. Rich was still feeling the afterglow as I took care of a little business. I made a couple of calls, checked messages and, I took a few minutes to write a quick note to Ms. Yelverton.

My hair was still wet and I had just finished making reservations at Creole Café in DeKalb when Philip, the Knight twins, Zeke and Charlie arrived in the kitchen. While they took a few minutes to clean up, Tommy Holloway, Mike and Jacob Porter arrived. Introductions were made where necessary and we all got in the Game Zone 2 van and took off. After a quick stop by the Game Zone to pick up Sean, I drove toward DeKalb.

 

Our first stop was Sean’s house on Old River Road just north of town. It was in an upscale subdivision called Acorn Hills built on the slopes of hills overlooking the Minihana River that split the two towns. The unique species of red Trumpet Vine that gave Rivervine its name was in full bloom, the hardwood forest and the rolling hills made the area quite scenic.

I pulled into the driveway Sean pointed out. He jumped out and retrieved a handful of mail from the box. I followed Sean as he opened the garage door. He went upstairs, dumped the mail on the kitchen table and took me on a tour the house. It was a very nice split level brick and redwood house built into the hillside. Apparently, Ms. Yelverton had been collecting antiques for years. It was beautifully furnished.

Sean had lived in the bottom level of the house. His room was still intact with a TV and stereo. I was a little surprised that he had moved very little into his apartment. His pride and joy was in the adjoining room in the basement where he had bookshelves, a desk, a personal computer and numerous meticulously crafted models. There were two beautiful sailing ships that towered over the rest.

I said, “They’re beautiful Sean. What ships are these?”

“The one on the right is the USS Constitution and the one on the left is HMS Victory. I did a lot of research and got pictures of them so I could get the rigging just right.”

I asked, “Would you be willing to work with some of the younger boys? I’m sure they would love to build some of these kits.”

He brightened and said, “Yeah sure, it would be fun. I’m surprised you would trust me around the kids given my thing with Tracy.”

I pulled Sean into a hug and said, “Knowing you, it’s a matter of trusting those little horn dogs not to eat you up. You were right. It would be a crime to auction this off. When you visit with your Mom, I’m going to send an offer to her to purchase the house and furnishings. That amount will go into a trust fund that will take care of your college and get you started in life. There’s a telephone number on the note for an attorney I use for real estate transactions. He can handle setting things up.”

Sean hugged me back and said, “Tim, in just a few days you’ve given me a job I love, a boyfriend I’m falling in love with and…”

I put my index finger on his lips and said, “Shhhhush. You’re a good investment and a great addition to my family. Be a good big brother to the boys and that alone would make it worth it. Get Bart and/or Tracy to come over and pick some stuff out for your room at my house. Then we’ll get you some help to move you in properly.”

Tears welled in Sean’s eyes and he was overcome so I held him for a moment.

When he regained his composure he said, “I love you. I’m not sure why you love me but, I can tell you do and, I’m very lucky.”

I wiped away a few tears and said, “Ok. It’s established. We love each other. I don’t know about you but, I’m hungry. Let’s go eat and I’ll drop you off to see your Mom.”

Sean packed some clothes in a bag and we were back in the van in no time.

 

Café Creole was busy but, we had reservations. The Maître D’ had one of the servers take our party through the restaurant where we were met with clapping. The boys were puzzled but our server said, “You guys were on the TV at five and six. Your shirts gave you away.”

We smiled and were charming as we were led to a private room where we were seated. Our server left us with water on the table and menus.

Philip said, “I’ve heard this place was good but I’ve never eaten here before.”

Sean said, “There are more expensive places here and across the river but this is the best restaurant in the area. My Mom loves the place.”

Jacob, sitting next to Tommy Holloway, said, “Yum. I love po boy sandwiches!”

This group had not been here the prior Saturday so I had to explain raw oysters to them. Between the eleven of us, we managed to clobber three dozen of them. Most of us had po boys and seafood gumbo while a few opted for the fried shrimp basket. No one passed on the key lime pie.

 

Once we were done, I dropped Sean off at the hospice and made for the Mall. I gave everybody thirty minutes and Philip and I went to Sears to get the tools Philip thought he would need for Dockside Park. We spent about five minutes going over the list with the manager and it amounted to a little over eight hundred dollars. I was pleased and impressed with thought and attention to detail Philip had put into formulating his list. There was no extravagance and it would be delivered to the Park Monday morning.

Before we left, we made a pass by the restroom. As soon as we opened the door we saw a mall cop berating a long-haired kid I judged to be about fifteen.

Philip quietly said, “Oh no, that’s Robbie. He’s a friend.”

The boy was thin and wearing faded blue jean shorts, a half shirt and ratty sneakers. He had his back to the wall and was wide eyed with fear and dread.

The mall cop was a porcine, flabby thirty something with a hair line receding as fast as his gut was advancing. He held the power and it had turned him into a petty tyrant. We both heard him growl, “I know what you little faggots do down here. Now suck my dick or I’m arresting you for loitering.”

Philip raised his voice and said, “Robbie, Uncle Tim is ready to go.”

Mall cop said, “This little faggot isn’t going anywhere.”

I said, “Keep talking to my nephew like that and I’m going to stick that night stick somewhere uncomfortable.”

He made the mistake of rounding on me with the nightstick. I deftly took it away from him twisted him around, banged his head on a big pipe that made a sound like a gong and then used his own cuffs to hook his unconscious fat ass up to the pipe. I noticed his name tag read “Hollis”.

I gently put my hand on the Robbie’s forearm and said, “We heard what that mutt said to you. We’re getting you out of here.”

Philip and Robbie followed me out of the store and got into the van where we waited for the rest of our group to arrive. Robbie was shaking, his nerves were badly rattled.

Philip said, “Robbie, meet Tim. Tim, this is Robbie McDonald. Robbie, I think this is your lucky day.”

Robbie looked at me and looked at Philip and said, “Did I really just get rescued from Officer Dillweed by a ninja?”

I grinned at him and said, “I guess that’s sort of what happened. I hate seeing cute kid like you pushed around by fat assed mall cop with delusions of adequacy.”

Robbie said, “Officer Dillweed wanted a free-be. He’d done it to my friends. Tonight it was just my turn.” He sized me up and said, “You’re hot dude but, I’ve still got to eat. Twenty bucks for a BJ, forty you can fuck me with a rubber and, only for you, a hundred if you want to go bareback.”

I said, “A cutie like you is worth a whole lot more than that. How about I get you some dinner and take you home?”

“I’ll take you up on the dinner but I don’t want to go home. It’s Friday night. They’re drunk and higher than shit by now. I know better than to go home on weekends.”

Philip asked, “Do you know who this is Robbie?”

Robbie grinned and said, “He’s the hot guy that buying me dinner. That’s all I need to know.”

I said, “If you don’t have plans, why don’t you hang out with us this weekend. I guarantee you’ll have a better time than you would blowing strangers.”

Robbie looked at Philip and asked, “He’s cool, right?”

Philip said, “You have no idea.”

He smiled and said, “OK. I’m running out of people willing to let me crash on their couch. I’ll hang with you this weekend.”

Over the next few minutes the other guys arrived at the van. Introductions were made and we took the short trip to Philip’s house and waited as he gathered a few things. He was inside for ten minutes and emerged with a duffle bag.

When he got in the truck Philip was smiling broadly and said, “Tim that was really cool of you.”

I backed out of the driveway and said, “Your truck needed a lot of help. The guy I’ve got working on it loves old Chevy trucks.”

“No. The other things you did. You hired a maid and a nurse to take care of my grandparents and a contractor came by to look at their roof and paint the house.”

I replied, “It’s the least I could do since they let me have you.”

He hugged me from the back seat and I said, “Easy, easy I’m driving.”

When we picked up Sean from the hospice, he too was in remarkably good cheer. He motioned for me to get out so I parked and left the van running. He hugged me and spoke into my ear, “You think enough of me to offer a quarter million dollars for the house and all the furnishing? Mom was ecstatic. She saw you on the news tonight. She told me that she is really proud I impressed you enough to do this.”

“I told you I think you’re a good investment. Now come on and get in. You’ve got a new brother to meet.”

Sean got in the van and Philip introduced him to Robbie.

I drove them back to Game Zone and told the guys that Robbie and I would be back by nine-thirty. When we were back on the road, Robbie said, “I do hope we are going someplace where you can fuck me into a stupor.”

“That sounds like lots of fun but, I’m taking you to do a little shopping. You need some fresh clothes. Those are getting a little ripe.”

Robbie said, “You don’t have to do that.”

“You’re a real cutie. Dressing you up will be fun. Once we’re done we can go by the house for a shower.”

I stopped in the mall on the highway built around Super K-mart and we did a whirlwind shopping trip. I got Robbie an overnight bag, Joe Boxers, socks, some Sun Britches, a Speedo, some shirts, levis, good flip-flops and a nice pair of Nike shoes. At first he was a little stiff but then he got into it. I don’t think anyone had ever paid that much attention to him. When he figured out I was being genuine, he loosened up and had fun.

I got the usual Oh my God, is this your house when I drove up the driveway. Marie’s car was still missing so we went directly upstairs.

I took him into my shower and he demanded that I get naked too. I got in the shower with him and Robbie let me wash him. Robbie’s looks went beyond cute to downright pretty. He had a cute crop of freckles on his nose and cheeks and all of his body hair was nearly invisible honey blond. His shoulder length blond hair needed shampoo, conditioner, repeat but, even that turned out well. There was no denying the signs of abuse I saw on him: there were too many scars and old and new bruises in suspicious places for it to be accidental.

I’m not sure what Robbie expected to happen in the shower but being gently and tenderly treated wasn’t it. He definitely thrived on attention. I guess he expected me to make a move. I turned off the water and started drying him and he luxuriated in the gentle, affectionate attention. His uncircumcised cock was at full alert. When we were both dried off, he followed me into the bedroom.

When he saw that we were about to get dressed, he sighed and said, “It happens every time.”

I asked, “What happens?”

“I meet someone hot, they get a look at my cock and it grosses them out.”

“That’s not true. I like uncut cocks.”

He looked at me funny and asked, “Well, why didn’t we do something?”

“Because… How old are you?”

“Sixteen.”

“I don’t think so.”

He looked frustrated and said, “OK. I’ll be fifteen when school starts but that never stopped anybody else. Please? I’m so horny I’m hurting.”

He got on the bed on all fours and presented his cute little ass.

I said, “Robbie, I don’t want to be just another trick to you.”

“You’re already way past that. Just… do it, please? I want you.”

“This has to be just between us. Don’t tell any of the other boys or I’ll never get anything done. Agree?”

“I promise.”

I started eating his ass and he trembled with pleasure. He expected me to fuck him but I rolled him over on his back and continued from the best angle licking his balls, perineum and pucker varying the speed and direction of my tongue. When he began to push back against my tongue, I worked back against the push. I had him fucking himself with my tongue. He moaned and writhed with ecstasy as my tongue tickled important parts of his erotic plumbing. As turned on as he was, the angle I was attacking his prostate and his slighter frame, he couldn’t last very long. Suddenly, he began to shake, moan and had a very wet, messy, noisy orgasm that came in two distinct waves that lasted almost two minutes hands-free.

I quickly went in the bathroom, took a shot of mouthwash and grabbed a towel. He was still catching his breath when I started cleaning the creamy boy-goo off his chest and stomach with a towel.

Robbie looked up at me and said, “That was incredible. I think I might have blacked out for a moment. I’ve never cum so hard or this much in my life and you didn’t even touch my cock.”

I leaned over and kissed him gently and said, “You’re welcome Robbie. That’s what sex should be like: fun and pleasurable with someone you like and not a commercial arrangement.”

He sat up and put his legs over the edge of the bed and asked, “I loved it but, what did you get out of it?”

“Did you feel loved instead of used?”

“Oh God yes. I’m still tingling.”

“Mission accomplished.”

I think that sprained his brain. It took him a moment to process. He said, “Yeah. I felt that you loved me. I already liked you for saving me from Officer Dillweed but the way you took care of me in the shower and this… No one has ever treated me this well or made me feel this good. Philip told me that you adopt boys that are having problems. Would you…”

I knelt and put my arms around him and said, “I’ll be honest. I can’t promise I can make it happen but, I will try. I’m going to talk to Sheriff Hollingsworth about what that creep was doing to you and your friends. Should I mention your old man has dope in his place?”

Robbie laughed and said, “That would work. I’m just a nuisance to them. Philip said you screen everybody for AIDS and have shrinks talk to your boys to help them get over whatever messed them up. I’m pretty sure I need both. I’ve been careful but… I’m scared all the time.”

I said, “Would you like to join our family Robbie? You have to understand: if we do this it will be as a father and a son, not as lovers. I won’t use you as a sex toy. I will protect you, love you, take you fishing, take you to the dentist, pay for braces, teach you to drive, send you to college— all the things a good father is supposed to do. We will be family.”

Robbie threw his arms around me and I realized he was sobbing. I held him in my arms he regained his composure and said, “Philip said this was my lucky day. Yes.”

“I know you’re hungry. Let’s see how cute you are dressed and get to the Game Zone. There’s a steak and potato with your name on it.”

We went back to the Game Zone in my truck as the other van was parked at the Game Zone to get the Blue Team to work when they got back.

 

 

xxv.

Back at the Game Zone, dressed in Sun Britches and flip-flops, Robbie fit right in. I gave him some tokens in a Game Zone baggie. I introduced Robbie around and everyone greeted him warmly. As he knew Philip, I left him with Philip to introduce him around. He definitely got Tracy’s approval. Aaron was running the grill and had a few steaks left over from feeding the crew. He threw a rib-eye on the grill and a twice-baked potato in the microwave and a roll in the oven. In a few minutes time, Robbie was devouring a near perfect steak.

I noticed that Chip Daniels had arrived and was having a very friendly conversation with Danny. I hadn’t considered that a possibility but, they seemed to be enjoying each other’s company.

As I headed back to the office, a boy I’d seen the day before flirting with Aaron followed me. He was quite a looker. He was long, lean and had been wearing a receiver’s number the day before.

He said, “Mr. Shepherd, could I have a word with you?”

I said, “Sure.” Knowing that the manager on duty would be counting up, I led him into the employee lounge and sat.

He didn’t immediately start so I prompted him with, “How can I help you?”

He was blushing and said, “I’m Rocky Anderson I… I play ball with Ray and he told me to talk to you. I’m a total virgin but, I’m pretty sure I’m gay. Could I work for you?”

I put my hand on his shoulder and said, “Relax Rocky. I hire only the cutest guys so, yes.”

He grinned back at me and I added, “Did you know we’re going to my place in the country tonight? Would you like to go with us?”

“I was hoping you would say yes and invite me. I’ve got an overnight bag in my car. All I need to do is call my Dad and I’m good to go.”

I asked, “You’re a junior this year?”

He nodded.

“You might want to think twice. Your virginity will be in grave peril this trip.”

Grinning ear to ear he said, “I sure hope so.”

 

Ten o’clock came and Alan turned the sound system on to his show. I was surprised when he started it with Adam. The show started with a voiceover: “The Game Zone Power Hour” followed by a sound clip from AC/DC’s Highway to Hell.

Alan: Hi. I’m Metal Kid.

Adam: And I’m his best friend Adam.

Alan: My cousin built a really cool arcade in Lakeview you should check out called the Game Zone and we were thinking of things we could do to promote it. After turning off the radio in disgust with 99 Red Balloons and Barry Manilow, we decided to do an hour long radio show with no commercials, no babbling and real rock.

Adam: Using my Dad’s album collection, Alan has created a series of hour long all rock shows with no commercial breaks. Tonight he starts with Led Zeppelin. We hope you enjoy and that we see you at the Game Zone soon.

 

Our guests began to file out as Alan’s show started with Black Dog. I stepped into the office. Tony and Sean were done counting up and prepping the cash with the exception of the grill receipts and the last two cash cartridges of the day.

I asked them to give me a few minutes with the phone so they cleared out. I rummaged through my wallet and found Sheriff Hollingsworth’s number. I dialed it and was redirected by the Sheriff’s Department switchboard.

I got the Sheriff and he congratulated me for being on the news. I filled him in on our encounter at the old mall and my rescue of Robbie McDonald from the lecherous mall cop.

Hollingsworth said, “Did you say Robbie McDonald from one of the trailer parks down by the lumber mills?”

“Yes sir. Apparently some bad stuff goes on over there on the weekends and he’s afraid to be around it. He’s been sofa-hopping with his friends and was running out of places to stay.”

The Sheriff said, “Smart boy. We’re looking at his old man as a meth cook and dealer. We have enough to make a bust, we’ve just been watching him to see who he’s connected to. Are you looking after the boy?”

“Yes sir. He knows Philip, the kid I’ve got running Dockside Park.”

“Good. We’ve got enough to go ahead and make arrests there. Hang on to the McDonald boy until your meeting with Judge Vinson on Tuesday. I’m going to give you a heads up so you won’t get blindsided by this. Some state people have been concerned about the number of kids you are looking after. They’re people that don’t know you but they have been looking at you and interviewing people like me, Chief Dodd, Judge Vinson, Doctor Patrick, Doctor Roberts and Father Ashley. They were looking for a reason to shut you down. You had a spy today.”

I said, “Doctor St. James.”

Hollingsworth chuckled and said, “I knew you were a sharp one. He went in bound and determined to find a reason. After interviewing you, he completely changed his tune. He actually wants to study your methods to see if they can be applied in other places. He told us about your long range plan and we all heard what you said on television tonight. You’ve won over some doubters and made new allies. What Judge Vinson is going to do, with state approval, is have the papers drawn up for your signature to certify you to operate as a group foster home for boys between ten and eighteen. It will be private and you will have the final word on who stays with you. That will solve the legal side of things for you.”

I said, “That’s a relief.”

Hollingsworth said, “We may be asking for your help soon. We have a real mess in DeKalb. Those trailer parks out near the mills are infested with meth. There are a bunch of kids that may end up in the same position as the McDonald boy after our raids. Many will probably end up with relatives but we may ask you to think about taking on a few of them.”

I said, “That’s fair enough. I have to consider how our new arrivals will fit in with the kids I’ve already got. Most of them know someone that’s already here. I’ll want to be careful about anyone that is a complete stranger to us.”

Hollingsworth said, “I’ve got some preparation to do and I’ll talk to the DeKalb cops about the mall security guy. You didn’t happen to get his name did you?”

“His name tag had Hollis on it.”

“I’ll have my detectives talk to the DeKalb PD and see what we can do about this Hollis creep. The mall cops aren’t really cops. They are employed by a security company that works for the mall owners. One way or another, he doesn’t need to be around kids. I’ll see you Tuesday unless something else comes up.”

“Thanks Sheriff.”

I hung up the phone feeling pretty good.

 

I opened the office back up and let Tony and Sean handle counting up the last of the cash cartridges and the receipts from the kitchen. I let them take care of it and went down to the employees lounge to freshen up for the bus trip.

The TV in the lounge was on playing the ten o’clock news but before I went into the restroom, I heard slurping, moaning and gasping. I grinned and sat down on the sofa to wait out whoever it was getting busy in there and watched the news. During a commercial for A&W root beer and Colgate toothpaste, I realized I was hearing similar noises coming from the locker room.

Rocky Anderson and Aaron Pate came out of the locker room still flushed.

I put my finger over my lips to indicate quiet and pulled Rocky and Aaron into a hug.

I whispered, “I see Aaron helped you with that virginity problem Rocky.”

He blushed and Aaron smiled and grabbed his ass.

Rocky whispered, “You aren’t sore or anything, are you?”

“I’m his foster Dad and I love him alot. You two cuties look really good together. Just be good to each other. I’ll see you on the bus. Now scoot.”

I sat back down and listened to the festivities in the rest room I was sure that by the noise, it must be a four-some. There was a flush and Little Dave came out. He too blushed when he saw me because Tracy followed right behind him.

“Tracy, I was going to introduce you to Little Dave but, it appears you’ve met.”

There was a commotion from the rest room and Dave said, “Todd is always so noisy when he cums.”

It was Todd and Little Karl’s turn to come out blushing.

Little Karl asked, “Ummm, we’re not in trouble or anything, are we?”

I grinned at them and said, “Not if you all give me a hug. I was just waiting to use the can. I’m glad you guys are having fun and getting along so well. See you on the bus.”

I finally got to use the facilities.

 

At a quarter to eleven the bus pulled into the parking lot and we put our luggage aboard. We almost forgot to check on the guys napping in the Dark Room. As soon as the armored car picked up our revenue for the day, we locked up the Game Zone, set the alarm and the bus took us on the highway headed North.

div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo">
 
Copyright © 2019 jamessavik; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..