Jump to content
    Jdonley75
  • Author
  • 1,574 Words
  • 3,890 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Staying in the moment - 1. Chapter 1

“Your turn is coming and then we will see!” Brandon’s cheerful voice had sounded so taunting and had irritated him so bad he was determined to see this through as he waited his turn. The challenge still rang in his ears and set his face in a determined half glare. “Yeah, you’ll see alright,” Andy muttered under his breath as he set the butt of his assault rifle to his shoulder. Everyone else had taken their turns for some impromptu target practice, prompted by Brandon’s trash talking. He made sure Andy went last, mostly to continue taunting him after he’d missed the day before during a training exercise. Taking careful aim, he looked past the barrel of the rifle to his targets. He pulled the trigger three times with the accompanying loud pops. An instant later and a couple hundred yards away a row of silhouetted practice targets all received a bullet hole within the center ring. There was a sound of chuckling as Andy stood up and turned to regard the others, setting his weapon back over his shoulder. “Any other smart mouthed dicks here wanna say I can’t hit my target now,” he asked with his casual drawl and that charming smug half-smirk on his lips.

The chuckling turned into muffled laughter as the other members of Andy’s unit in the 2nd Marine Regiment clapped him on his back before moving off to get ready for for chow time. Brandon stood there grinning at him, waiting for the others to break up before he stepped closer and said in a low voice, “I was only kidding…”

Andy’s green eyes sparkled in the afternoon sun. “You said I couldn’t do it. Pretty sure you can shut the fuck up now.” The two of them chortled as they fell into step together heading back to their barracks to change.

They were only a few yards into their walk when his teammate broke into laughter again. He turned his brilliant blue eyes to Andy and said, “I love it when you strut.”

Andy stopped and looked into those blue eyes and said, “I’m not strutting, Brandon.”

“Oh, yes you are,” he chuckled as he resumed his trek across the secured area and into their concrete shelter which was the only private area the two of them had.

“They said we got a week before heading back out,” Andy said as he started stripping off his helmet and then the rest of his gear before setting his rifle in its place next to his cot, running his hand over his short clipped blonde hair.

“Yeah, a whole week without any enemy contact,” Brandon confirmed. “What’re we gonna do with all that spare time?” The last was said as his lifted his gaze up to look into Andy’s green eyes with a telling grin.

Andy blushed and looked away with a smirk. “I dunno… I could think of a couple things.”

“Would be nice to spend a little time together,” Brandon grinned. “As long as we’re not on duty.”

Andy chuckled. “You’re not worried about the others finding out?” He grunted as he leaned down to start removing his boots and socks. His feet were soaking wet from sweating all day on duty and all he wanted was for his feet to feel clean. But bending over was still a chore since the bullet would he took near his left hip a couple months ago.

“Andy,” he sighed, stepping over and knelt down in front of him, taking Andy’s feet and pulling the boots and socks off for him. “We’re not living in the ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ era anymore. And all our guys like you. We’re all a team out here and no one’s gonna care if you and I are getting it on. We’re two red-blooded American boys barely past twenty-one. We got nothing waiting for us back home so we may as well take what we find out here, right?”

Andy smirked a little as Brandon took it upon himself to finish changing his socks and getting his boots back on as they talked. It was a altruistic act that made his heart skip a beat. “You know, I’ve only ever done this with one other guy before.”

Brandon shrugged. “Until three months ago when we were in that hotel room in Japan, I’d never had sex with a guy in my entire life. Doesn’t matter. We both wanted it. We did it. We wanna keep doing it. So, if you gotta problem with it, Jarhead, better say something now.”

Andy leaned back against the wall, staring down at Brandon. He couldn’t deny how captivated he was with him and how much of a rush it was to feel their bodies together those few nights they had. “Only thing I’m worried about is if we start treating each other differently. I’m gonna want to protect you.”

Brandon sighed and lifted himself off the ground and sat on the cot next to his friend. “You’re still thinking about what happened to Tim.”

He stared down at his bare feet as his smile faltered. “Yeah.” There wasn’t many days he didn’t think about the good friend he’d made while training before they deployed to their present location in Afghanistan. The reality of his death was still hard to bare sometimes.

Brandon shrugged. “All the more reason not to hold back. It could be any of us next time. We might as well live our lives the way we want, right?”

Andy wrestled with his uncertainty and his guilt as his head turned to stare into Brandon’s eyes. He couldn’t deny everything that had been said was true. He just wished they weren’t thousands of miles away, in the middle of a war zone where anything could happen in a split second. He’d lost one love because he couldn’t face up to it. He wasn’t sure if he could stand to lose another. “So, I strut, huh?”

Brandon laughed and reached over to grab Andy’s hand and squeeze it. “Yeah, you did. But you have a sexy strut. Probably has something to do with knowing what your ass looks like under your uniform.”

Andy’s charming smirk lifted one side of his lips as they stared into each others’ eyes. “How sexy is it, exactly?”

Brandon leaned in closer, letting their lips meet in a kiss that started off innocently until Andy’s hand found the back of Brandon’s neck and their mouths opened letting their passion take hold of their senses. Brandon sighed as he felt Andy’s body through his uniform. Weeks of playing subtle word games together after their first time together had been annoying him and he knew he could get a rise out of Andy if he questioned his marksmanship. Finally getting to have that passionate man he discovered in his arms again was worth losing. A few more precious moments lingered before they broke the kiss. Brandon grinned. He might have lost the bet, but he got what he’d wanted. “So?”

“I had no idea I was that sexy to you,” Andy said in a more relaxed tone now. Brandon could tell he was more accepting of their growing relationship because he hadn’t let go of him yet.

“Maybe later tonight after dinner, I can show you just how sexy I think you are.” He added another small kiss to Andy’s chin to emphasize his point.

“Just… out of curiosity,” Andy wasn’t sure exactly how to word his question but he wanted to know, “if we both make it home in one piece, are we just gonna go our separate ways?”

Brandon leaned back a little, looking at him before getting up and going across the small room to pull out a fresh pair of socks. Going back down on his knees to pull them onto Andy’s feet. “I guess that depends on if you meant what you said our first few nights together.”

Andy regarded him with his bright green eyes and smirked a little, remembering how good those nights had been. “When I told you I loved you? Yeah, I meant it. Still do.”

Brandon shrugged dismissively as he reached for Andy’s boots and put them on his feet. “Then I say we go for it. I know you’re more than just a friend to me. Right now, I think we should just stay in the moment and not think too far ahead. Once we both make it out alive, then we can go from there. Deal?”

Andy relaxed and gave in, finally. Allowing his heart to not think beyond where he is and what he’s doing. This entire war on terror was taxing on his mind at times, not to mention his body. But if he could find just a little happiness while he was here then he could make it through and get back home. “Sounds good.”

“Thank God,” he said in an overly dramatic voice. “I’ve been starving since we got in here and I wanna go eat.” He finished lacing up Andy’s boots and stood up. “Let’s go.”

He grunted a little as he stood up. With a little smile and a more relaxed heart, Andy followed Brandon to the mess hall. Despite some lingering guilt, of a love he abandoned, he hoped tonight wouldn’t be the only night they’d get to spend together. But for now, he was fine with taking things day by day.

And, yes, if anyone is wondering, it is that Andy. Thank you in advance for the feedback.
Copyright © 2018 Jdonley75; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 16
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Cool, maybe I confused it, I thought the only other guy Andy had loved was the one he lost, Tim. I might be confusing things, we only got bits of Andy previously.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Just now, Sweetlion said:

Cool, maybe I confused it, I thought the only other guy Andy had loved was the one he lost, Tim. I might be confusing things, we only got bits of Andy previously.

 

If you recall, during a fight with Brian, he referred to him as "Brandon" at one point.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Jdonley75 said:

 

If you recall, during a fight with Brian, he referred to him as "Brandon" at one point.

True, I guessed I mixed things. Anyway, it was a nice short, thanks.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

When I read Andy and Brandon’s names I thought it was about them! Thank you for this insight into their relationship. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

This was a really nice glimpse into Andy. Thanks and dkep up the good work.  You are a very talented writer. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 11/19/2018 at 4:25 AM, mfa607 said:

When I read Andy and Brandon’s names I thought it was about them! Thank you for this insight into their relationship. 

You can thank the GA prompt for this. 😄

 

I never thought much about Andy's time at war in great detail but when I read it and rolled it around in my mind, this story just slowly formed.  It was kind of interesting seeing him without his usual friends everyone is familiar with and see him with someone other than Brian.  Of course, in hindsight, while it seems to have a happy ending, anyone who read my previous work knows how tragic it ends.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 11/20/2018 at 5:14 AM, FanLit said:

Aww❣️❣️

This was great!!  I’m glad this prompt gave you the opportunity to flesh out Andy’s past some more.  

The sock exchange was touching, a clear indication that Brandon cares about Andy, (besides the taunting that started the story, lol).  

Brandon definitely had deep feelings for Andy but I wonder if he would’ve been able to handle the pressures involved with his first same sex relationship stateside.  

This shows why Andy held on to his second chance with Brian with both arms and legs.

Nicely done, just like that vignette with Kyle and Jason’s breakup.  👏

I'd say part of it was to better illustrate just how dedicated to Brian he would become.  It was mostly to show Andy slowly coming to accept who he is as well even though losing Brandon would eventually lead to him end up with his wife.  The lives of my characters are never easy, I guess. ;)

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
59 minutes ago, spyke said:

This was a really nice glimpse into Andy. Thanks and dkep up the good work.  You are a very talented writer. 

Thank you.  I imagine if I'd spent a couple more days with it I would have been able to expand it more and give Brandon a little more depth but I was just taking a break from.... other things. 😉

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

When I saw Andy and Brandon, I read this with a smile and a little sad to know the outcome of their time together. 

Thanks so much for all you do. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Fitzhugh said:

When I saw Andy and Brandon, I read this with a smile and a little sad to know the outcome of their time together. 

Thanks so much for all you do. 

I kind of went into it knowing it was going to bring out a number of different reactions.  For those who read my previous story and got to know Andy well enough that they'd understand what a meaningful moment this was for him in his life and how it's one of the many that's shaped the man he later became.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Nice prompt, buddy. I don't know the characters like others do, but I enjoyed these few moments in time... liked the'strut' teasing and the 'sock' scene. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Headstall said:

Nice prompt, buddy. I don't know the characters like others do, but I enjoyed these few moments in time... liked the'strut' teasing and the 'sock' scene. Cheers... Gary....

Thanks.

 

In hindsight, I should have spent a couple days lengthening it and fleshed out Brandon more.  But, at the same time, knowing what would end up happening (since this is a story that takes place before The Acquittal) I didn't want to keep that youthful romance feel to it without the potential foreshadowing of the ultimate end of that relationship.

 

But, yeah, if you learn more about Andy, this alone will have a deeper significance to it.

 

Glad you liked it though. :) 

 

Jon

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I enjoyed reading about Andy and Brandon, but I also agree that I would have liked to know a bit more about their relationship while deployed, although we know what happened to Brandon, I don’t remember you mentioning Tim at all? 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Bft said:

I enjoyed reading about Andy and Brandon, but I also agree that I would have liked to know a bit more about their relationship while deployed, although we know what happened to Brandon, I don’t remember you mentioning Tim at all? 

It's possible at some point in the future, I might write an anthology of sorts with little short stories that either aren't all that significant or aren't big enough to fit into a full novel.  But I have a lot of other things I want to do in the future when I finish the book I'm working on now. :) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

It was good to see Andy in another context.

I’m sure Andy’s not the only one who joined the military to escape his internal conflict over his sexual orientation. Others chose marriage to women for the same reason. I somehow escaped both fates.

When I graduated from high school the Vietnam War had already ended, but there was still an incredible amount of anti-military sentiment that was even apparent in little Navy Town San Diego of the late Seventies. My best friend from high school joined the Navy and I just could not understand why he’d do that. There were a couple other guys who were going to join different branches of the military when they graduated, but they were thought to be kind of odd.

I was lucky that my parents never pressured me to get married. I worked retail, so most of my coworkers were women. I socialized with my coworkers, so I guess they thought I was dating or something. But I was so deep in the Closet, I was more asexual than anything else.

We all deal with our sexuality differently. Different people used various strategies to survive. Not all of them were the best idea and some people were hurt badly. We need to learn from the past and do better with the experience we gained.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, droughtquake said:

It was good to see Andy in another context.

I’m sure Andy’s not the only one who joined the military to escape his internal conflict over his sexual orientation. Others chose marriage to women for the same reason. I somehow escaped both fates.

When I graduated from high school the Vietnam War had already ended, but there was still an incredible amount of anti-military sentiment that was even apparent in little Navy Town San Diego of the late Seventies. My best friend from high school joined the Navy and I just could not understand why he’d do that. There were a couple other guys who were going to join different branches of the military when they graduated, but they were thought to be kind of odd.

I was lucky that my parents never pressured me to get married. I worked retail, so most of my coworkers were women. I socialized with my coworkers, so I guess they thought I was dating or something. But I was so deep in the Closet, I was more asexual than anything else.

We all deal with our sexuality differently. Different people used various strategies to survive. Not all of them were the best idea and some people were hurt badly. We need to learn from the past and do better with the experience we gained.

My only regret with this story is how rushed it is.  I should have taken the time to expand it and flesh out Brandon and some of the other characters.  It's possible sometime in the future I might revisit this and take another swing at it.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 10/13/2019 at 3:27 AM, droughtquake said:

I’m sure Andy’s not the only one who joined the military to escape his internal conflict over his sexual orientation. Others chose marriage to women for the same reason. I somehow escaped both fates

In my case, the draft ended shortly after my 18th birthday.  This, of course, was before the days of "don't ask, don't tell."  It was more like "We're going to ask, and you'd better tell, so we can destroy your life—and if you lie to us and we find out, you'll be in even worse trouble."  As for the other, I was always grateful to be so far at the one end of the Kinsey scale that there was no hope of ever having a marriage with a woman.  Saved ruining someone else's life along with my own.

Edited by BigBen
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, BigBen said:

In my case, the draft ended shortly after my 18th birthday.  This, of course, was before the days of "don't ask, don't tell."  It was more like "We're going to ask, and you'd better tell, so we can destroy your life—and if you lie to us and we find out, you'll be in even worse trouble."  As for the other, I was always grateful to be so far at the one end of the Kinsey scale that there was no hope of ever having a marriage with a woman.  Saved ruining someone else's life along with my own.

You and I were in that little window between the end of the Vietnam Draft and the Bush I restart of the draft. My younger brother just missed the cutoff and had to decide whether to obey the law or not (he’s too religious to cheat, so he registered). My older brother was lucky and his birthday was never selected, but he was attending a conservative religious college at the time anyway. I’m the Black Sheep Agnostic Homo*!
;–)
 

* While the ‘H’ word has negative connotations, the other ‘F’ word bothers me more. In this context it feels cute and cuddly. Your mileage may vary and there is no intent to offend anyone.
;–)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm going to get back to this. I saw the name "Brandon" and I already know it's going to kick me in the emotions. But, I'm getting ready to clock out so, I'l be back!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 2/13/2023 at 6:56 AM, Thirdly said:

Dagnabbit, Brandon! 😭

This story haunts me sometimes.  I think there's a bigger story to tell in there somewhere.

Once I'm done with "The Discovery" I might pull this out of mothballs and see if I can improve on it.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..