Jump to content

String

   (6 reviews)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Drama

Jake Finnegan is your typical high school boy trying to do well in school and stay out of trouble.  Danny Rossi is Jake's best friend.  Jake is gay.  Danny is straight.  At least, that's what they think.  How long will Danny string Jake along as he tries to figure it out?  Just a little something to pass the time while we're in lockdown.

This story contains some scenes of sexual intimacy.
Copyright © 2020 jkwsquirrel; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (16 members)

  • Action Packed 3
  • Addictive/Pacing 9
  • Characters 15
  • Chills 0
  • Cliffhanger 3
  • Compelling 0
  • Feel-Good 1
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 8
  • Tearjerker 11
  • Unique 6
  • World Building 2

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Hot Tub
    • 4,396 Words
    • 5,824 Views
    • 27 Comments
  • 2. Sprints
    • 4,106 Words
    • 4,751 Views
    • 40 Comments
  • 3. Band Camp
    • 5,361 Words
    • 5,022 Views
    • 49 Comments
  • 4. Ricochet
    • 3,587 Words
    • 4,445 Views
    • 47 Comments
  • 5. Selfie
    • 4,073 Words
    • 4,554 Views
    • 43 Comments
  • 6. Casualties
    • 4,180 Words
    • 4,300 Views
    • 35 Comments
  • 7. Jake's Heart
    • 3,874 Words
    • 4,220 Views
    • 31 Comments
  • 8. Jealous Guy
    • 3,386 Words
    • 4,577 Views
    • 36 Comments
  • 9. Awkward
    • 4,612 Words
    • 4,528 Views
    • 52 Comments
  • 10. Pride
    • 3,272 Words
    • 4,679 Views
    • 38 Comments
  • 11. Phantom Menace
    • 5,770 Words
    • 4,725 Views
    • 61 Comments
  • 12. Running In Circles
    • 3,649 Words
    • 4,500 Views
    • 47 Comments
  • 13. Honesty
    • 4,097 Words
    • 4,571 Views
    • 64 Comments
  • 14. Fort McHenry
    • 3,034 Words
    • 4,378 Views
    • 47 Comments
  • 15. Perfect
    • 4,293 Words
    • 4,456 Views
    • 43 Comments
  • 16. Harmony
    • 4,102 Words
    • 10,485 Views
    • 42 Comments
  • 17. Epilogue
    • 1,284 Words
    • 3,599 Views
    • 56 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Atipique

  

Jkwsquirrel stories are so good. I wish I could personally thank him for writing them.

  • Like 2
Link to review
Arran

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Of JKW’s stories that I’ve read (I haven’t read Aiden YET), String is his best. While it is stand-alone, reading W.A.R. helps to put it in perspective. Talo Segura pretty much says it all, so no sense reinventing the wheel. Just read the story and you will be glad that you did. And read the chapter discussions, too, because they add even more to the story. I see JKW becoming a GA Classic Author because he is a classic author!

  • Love 4
Link to review
Talo Segura

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

I rather feel that in most cases an unplanned story fails, but this is the exception that proves the rule, and JKW Squirrel's String emerged naturally through the history of the characters and their interrelationships. Perhaps because there was already a background established for the environment in which the story takes place, helped. Or, perhaps JKW is quite simply one of those authors with the talent to pull the rabbit out of the hat? Whatever the reasons we have ended up with great book written in two weeks between 4 May and 18 May 2020 (a moment in history when half the world were locked up at home) which engaged the readers who possibly also added something along the way. 

JKW has certainly proved "off the cuff" writing can work and can take you places which you didn't imagine. Good use of the story timeline, with jumps forward, allowed us, the readers, to be treated to a well paced novel. We got all the interesting and exciting bits thrown together and watched as the drama unfolded, action upon action. The story lives off the pages, and you can't help but get close to the characters, they just grow on you.

Jake and Danny have a complicated relationship which I would not begin to try and interpret, because every reader sees that relationship in terms of their own life experiences. Sure there will be similarities in there, possibly very similar, but Jake is Jake and Danny is Danny, they both have their good points and neither is perfect.

This is a story of best friends discovering themselves and their relationship. It is a romantic drama full of angst, love, and betrayal. Ultimately, it is a story of the lives of these adolescents, their friendships and their love interests, a coming of age novel. It could not have been written better, and if you don't read it you will be missing out on a brilliant book masterfully authored. You could pay money for a book that has been published in print, but it might not be in the same class as this story.

  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Link to review
Former Member

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

Yeah, it’s another Gay romance set in a high school. But the location is a less-commonly written about Monongahela Valley in Western Pennsylvania. And the characters are not the standard cookie-cutter stereotypes that usually populate these sorts of stories.

Readers of @jkwsquirrel’s W.A.R. series will recognize a couple familiar characters. But while the location is familiar and there are a couple shared characters, this is not really a sequel. This is a stand-alone story that doesn’t require knowledge of the previous stories.

Jake and his best friend, Danny, learn and grow along with fellow members of Band and their other classmates.
 

There is no rampant epidemic of the Gay virus in Mon Valley!
;–)

Link to review
weinerdog

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

My main purpose for writing this is there is to give another five review here and that just might get readers who haven't read this to the series curious to check this out.You don't have to read the W.A.R series to like this story but I recommend  that you do so first.All of you reading this I'm sure have your favorite authors and this author does many of the same things in his stories that  other good gay male fiction authors do.What set this author apart is what I think is his unique personality and take on thing.When you read other great stories you could tell someone this author wrote it when in reality another author wrote it and they would believe you.If you read  a story by this author and nobody told you who wrote it and they changed the names and places in the story you would still know it this authors story.And that's a good thing.

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to review
Wesley8890

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Easily one of my favorite stories from the author.  Few past characters return but the newer ones are intriguing on thier own.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..