Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 2,042 Words
  • 1,333 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Shunning - 10. Chapter 9

Hearing a beeping sound coming from his pocket, Brian Gano reached inside and pulled out one of the few technological wonders of the outside world that he had allowed himself... a cell phone.

"Hello?"

"Can you here me on this tiny thing Father?"

"Yes Sheriff I can," Brian sighed.

"Amazing."

"Save your wonderment for later. What's happened?"

"You're sister is gone... that's what happened."

Brian let out a deep grunt. Just what he needed... more problems. "Do you know where she has run off to?"

"Uhmmm... according to your ma she went looking for you," The Sheriff said nervously.

"Imbeciles..." Brian swore to himself. Maybe Daryl had the right idea of leaving. His month outside of New Hope Settlement, had surely opened his eyes to the larger world. "Did I not leave clear instructions that you were to not let her out of your sight?"

"Well, she sent me to the market to pick up a few odds and ends you see." The Sheriff floundered.

"She trick you... you, the man in charge of law an order in New Hope. Luckily, I so happen to be in a position as to be able to relieve you of that post."

"But Father." The Sheriff protested.

"Oh come on Sheriff... you knew this day was coming. The only reason why I picked you was so that your son could take over one day. Now put Landon on the phone."

"Yes Father, Forgive me Father..."

"Just put Landon on," Brian sighed. He was only 34 years old... too young to feel comfortable having a 58 year old man fawning over him.

"Yes Father..." a younger, more reverent voice eventually came from the phone.

"Landon... my sister had gone and done a terrible thing."

"I know father. What would you have me do?"

"Find her, and bring her back home as gently as you are able to manage and keep her there. I don't want her ruining things. You're the Sheriff now. I believe you know how to keep things under control?"

"Yes Father... I won't fail you."

"I know you won't. Remember that I love you and all of the Blessed."

"I love you too," Landon replied, in a tone that revealed his feelings went deeper than mere admiration.

Closing the cell phone, Brian went back into the large office he was now renting where a man stood by, tapping a clipboard. "Sorry for the interruption. You were just about ready to show me how to use this... rat."

"It's called a mouse sir," the man said, covering his mouth to hide a chuckle.

Brian did his best not to glower at the man. He hated looking like a fool, especially in front of a total stranger. If only Daryl was here to teach him.

Chapter 13

"What is this?" Daryl asked when he found Steven in his office, a stack of boxes on the desk.

"You're gateway to the twenty-first century... or in your case at least the late 90's. Either one would be a significant improvement from the 1950's you've been living in."

"You mean the black and white televisions?" Daryl replied., remembering what Patrick had said.

"Yep... I think that's all they had back then," Steven said, not getting the reference.

"So what amazing bit of sinful corrupting technology do you have in these boxes?"

"Now that's no way of looking at it," Steven squinted.

"I'm joking. I just have to warn you though florescent lights were only approved fifteen years ago back home, and even then many people avoided the buildings for several months out of fear that the white light would blind them."

"That too was a joke... right?"

"No, I'm afraid it wasn't," Daryl sighed. "Open the box."

"It's a computer!" Steven shouted, as he lifted the tower out of its box.

"A computer?" Daryl replied, a little taken back. "You really shouldn't have."

"I didn't really know what kind to get you, so I went online to Dell and picked every option they had available," Steven said, taken up by his own excitement.

"How much did that cost?" Daryl asked warily.

"About six grand."

"But I can't afford that!"

"Who said anything about you paying for it? I got it for you as a gift," Steven said, a little miffed.

"But..."

"Dare..." Steven said in a tone that warned he was not about to have his gift refused.

"But we don't believe in accepting gifts."

"Not even birthdays or Christmas."

"Nope."

"Wait a minute... say a neighbor needs a cup of four. You are telling me that under your religion's rules you wouldn't even be allowed to give her one?"

"That's different... the rule that says we can not let a fellow member go hungry takes precedence."

"Ok... how about a box of nails? For whatever reasons someone in the community needs a simple plain box of nails... you're not allowed to give him even one?" Steven said, feeling that Daryl was purposefully being difficult.

"No... not without bartering." Daryl replied, a little amused by the bright shade of red Steven's face was turning.

"You mean your people still dicker with the barter system?"

"It's the oldest economic system in the world," Daryl replied.

"I don't understand."

"Considering that every family in the community owns significant shares of NM Mining and giving the royalties it pays... we had what you would call a slight inflation problem," Daryl said with a hint of embarrassment.

"I don't understand."

Well... since we are not allowed to buy goods outside the community without the approval of the Father, the only people we could trade with on a daily basis were each other. Given basic laws of supply and demand... your one little nail would be selling for around 15 dollars... a whole box could run over 500. Going to the barter system turned out to be a lot easier to deal with."

"Dare... you know I love you but your people are plain crazy. Every day you seem to surprise me on how normal you turned out."

"Probably because I'm the only one who's gone to a real university."

"What about your doctors, lawyers, nurses, dentists, and such?"

"We have a community college but would you be upset if I told you we use the old apprenticeship system?" Daryl asked worriedly.

"God forbid I ever go there and need an operation."

"To be honest, I wouldn't want old doc Foley operating on me either. Luckily NM Mining has its own emergency clinic. For anything serious, our people are sent there. It's just..."

"Yes, tell me. Can't be any crazier than what I've heard already."

"You see they have to get the approval of the Father before they can go, and he always requires that the patients remain sedated the whole time while they are gone from New Hope."

"I stand corrected," Steven moaned, before giving Daryl a bear hug. "God I'm glad you're somewhat normal."

"Now about this computer," Daryl said once Steven had let him go.

"You're going to get over this Blessed nonsense and accept my gift." Steven said sternly.

"If only if it were that easy," Daryl sighed.

"We'll barter then..." Steven said, reaching for a half chewed pencil. "I hereby accept this fine writing utensil in exchange for this lousy computer. There... does that meet your religious requirements?"

"Are you sure you're not schizophrenic?" Daryl chuckled. "First... you just told me this computer cost you around six thousand dollars. A fair value trade on that pencil would be a paper clips or a few staples."

"Can't I place whatever value I want on this pencil?"

"You can, but according to church law I'm not allowed to take advantage of another person's misplaced value on an item."

"Now I'm certain you are trying to be difficult on purpose," Steven accused.

"See why we don't give gifts?" Daryl retorted. "You've been to my house so you know I don't have anything worth six thousand dollars to trade with you... not even my car is worth that much."

"Speaking of your car... does it even have airbags?" Steven asked, at the mention of another thing he wanted Daryl to work on updating.

"No... it's an 87 model. Air bags were still only an option back then."

"I'm going to get you a new one... just for your own safety."

"Fine," Daryl sighed.

"What?" Steven said surprised. "No arguing, no haggling, no spouting of insane religious dogma?"

"Well if you insist... one of the oldest church laws clearly states that each member has a duty to help protect one another. As a result, the only gifts that are ever given in New Hope are some form of firearm."

"So... because I want to give you a car with airbags, you're allowed to accept it."

"Yes."

"Can't I just say that the computer is also for your protection?" Steven said.

"What am I going to do... throw it at some would-be-attacker or use it as a mace?"

"Won't you give me just a little wiggle room?" Steven pleaded.

"No... you will just have to keep it until I have something to trade it for." Daryl said as Jessica walked into the office.

"It's that time of the year again," the nurse laughed as she shook a small plastic barrel filled with money.

"Well here's my token dollar." Daryl said as he pulled out a folded dollar bill.

"What's this?" Steven asked, surprised.

"It's our annual collection for the Dr. Gavin virginity fund." Jessica grinned.

"That's not what it's called," Daryl blushed.

"Ahhh... I remember. And where does the pot stand now?" Steven grinned.

"I think we are going to break the twelve thousand mark this year." Jessica replied.

"Good..." Steven said as he reached into his pocket and took out his money clip. "Here's another five hundred to make sure that happens."

"Why thank you Dr. Nash. You better be careful Dr. Gavin... I think Dr. Nash might try to win his money back," Jessica said before leaving.

"I'm counting on it." Steven grinned lustfully.

"Steven..." Daryl said nervously.

"Well Dare... it turns out you do have something to barter with... something that's worth twice what this computer cost."

"I'm not going to sleep with you over a computer Steven."

"No... you're going to sleep with me because you've been wanting to for weeks now."

"I'm your patient... it wouldn't be professional."

"I'm glad you said that!" Steven said as he reached into his satchel and pulled out a blue document. "Your discharge papers."

"What?" Daryl said surprised.

"I'm releasing you from my care as a patient."

"I know what a discharge is. Why are you giving me one?"

"Because I decided that your depression is situational, not chronic and given that the best way to handle such depression is by removing the patient from his depressing environment, I'm taking the necessary steps to enact said treatment."

"By quitting?"

"Yes... or at least that's part of it." Steven said, hesitating for a bit before continuing. "I want you to move in with me."

"What?" Daryl whispered.

"I don't want you living alone in that big empty house of yours... it's a major cause of your depression. You've been shunning yourself for too long."

"Shun?" Daryl asked.

"Yes... that's what I determined what you were doing. You were shunning the outside world."

"Maybe I am... but why did you use that particular word?"

"If the shoe fits..." Steven said, trying not to look guilty. "What's wrong?"

"That word has a special meaning to my church and to me... it's what they did to my brother. It's what drove him to kill himself. Now I want to know why you chose to use that word," Daryl demanded.

"I wanted to tell you after you moved in, and I would still rather do it at the house but there is a secret I've been keeping from you, and if you want me to tell you now I will." Steven whispered.

Just at that moment, Daryl beeper went off. "This will have to wait until later," he sighed. "Sorry if I seemed angry."

"Trust me... you have every right to be angry with me."

"We'll just have to wait and see." Daryl said before leaving.

Copyright © 2014 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow what a chapter.. I hope sooner or later all the secret are out

A little bit of romance won't hurt either whistle.gif

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..