Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 4,257 Words
  • 967 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Shunning - 16. Chapter 16

Scott Whitmore walked through the halls of the most powerful government in the world, waving at his fellow Senators as he made his way to the underground tram that would take him back to his offices.

 

Having risen from the House of Representatives to the Senate only during the last election, the junior senator had risen quickly to becoming one of the Senate's most influential voices, finding his way onto the powerful Finance Committee.

 

Scott had known for a long time that there was something different about him. Back when he was a doctor, he saved the lives of people who should have died. When his father pressed him into politics his incumbent opponent didn't lose, he dropped out of the race when the polls showed Scott leading by a massive percentage. Of course it did not hurt that the small but wealthy community of New Hope backed his campaign due to the good will he had built there during his time as a doctor.

 

Still, even without their support, Scott did not believe he was confident in thinking he could have won without it. He felt he was being guided by the forces of destiny toward great things which nothing would stop him from achieving. In fact he had never failed to obtain that which he committed himself to obtaining… except one time.

 

"Good evening sir." One of his interns said, the young woman handing him a list of scribbled down messages.

 

"Any one of these important," Scott said as he scanned them.

 

"There was one from New Hope," The girl replied.

 

"Really," Scott said surprised, shuffling through the notes.

 

"Daryl Gavin," Scott asked. “When did he call?"

 

"About two hours ago, while you were debating the Henderson

Amendment."

 

"Cancel all my appointments," Scott said as he hurried to his office.

 

"But there is a committee meeting in one hour."

 

"Cancel that too, and see if you can get me on the next flight back to Helena."

 

"Yes sir," The girl nodded, knowing it best not mention the upcoming votes.

 

Closing and locking his office door, Scott stared at the phone sitting on his desk, not sure if he wanted to make the call. He had not heard from Daryl in over ten years, not since that election night his father had lost the governor's race. Deep down though, Scott knew that Daryl was caught up in whatever grand plan his life was following. He had known that the day he had saved the young man's life. That is why it had hurt all the more when they parted ways. Out of every person he had ever loved Daryl was the only one who really understood him.

With a shaking hand, Scott picked up the phone and dialed the listed number.

 

"Hello?" A stranger's voice answered.

 

"This is Senator Whitmore, I am returning Daryl's call."

 

"One moment."

 

"Hello?" a more familiar voice answered.

 

The voice was a little deeper, a little more mature but it was indeed Daryl's voice. "Oh my God, it is you."

 

"Scott?" Daryl asked.

 

"Yes, damn Daryl, how are you? Where have you been hiding yourself for the past twelve years?"

 

"I grew up, became a doctor like you," Daryl replied. "Been working in an inner city hospital."

 

"Wow, but what the fuck are you doing in New Hope. That's the last place I would expect you to be."

 

"Some things have come up."

 

"Good or bad?" Scott asked.

 

"A little of both."

 

"Well tell me the good news."

 

"You remember my brother David,"

 

"Yes, such a tragedy."

 

"I just found his two sons, they were at the Whitmore Home."

 

"That shit hole? My great aunt, you know the one who became a nun, set up that home. Believe me it was not out of the kindness of her heart. That place is pretty much a foster-home milk farm she gets to milk the government for the kids’ social security money. Except for the cheeks she could care less about those kids. I thought they tore it down long ago."

 

"It's still standing."

 

"But you got them out of there?"

 

"Yes, they're living with me now."

 

"Ok, that's the good news. What's the bad?"

 

It took almost two hours of questions and explanations before Scott felt he had a grip on the situation and when he did understand, a part of him wished he didn't.

 

"This is a bad situation Daryl."

 

"You telling me,"

 

"If you were anyone else I would tell you to take the kids and run like hell. I know what kind of person you are, or at least once were so I’m guessing you won’t leave those bastards to rot in their own filth."

 

"What would you have me do?" Daryl asked

 

"Stay right where you are, and expect me at your place sometime before dawn."

 

"Alright, thank you Scott."

 

"And Daryl," Scott hesitated.

 

"Yes,"

 

"There's never been anyone but you," Scott said, quickly slamming the phone down.

 

"Dang it, why did I have to say that," Scott cursed.

 

"Well," Steven asked when Daryl closed the phone.

 

"He's coming. He'll be here sometime before dawn."

 

"I think someone has high placed admirer." Steven chuckled, lying back down on the blanket he and Daryl had put down in the outside yard on the grass.

 

"It's not like that, quite the opposite," Daryl insisted.

 

"You mean he was your hero,"

 

"Scott is ten years older than me, not to mention he once saved my life."

 

"I understand. When I was in the Peace Corp, I slept with the man who was sort of my mentor. The question I have for you is how you feel about seeing him again,"

 

"I don't know, we didn't part company on the best of terms."

 

"But you still have feelings for him,"

 

"When I left New Hope, I was still very upset about David. That, and trying to adapt to life in the outside world, and my age left me very dependent on him. I didn’t like that." Daryl tried to explain.

 

"But do you still love him,” Steven pressed.

 

"It was so long ago,"

 

"Do you?" Steven insisted.

 

"I love you and Patrick. I am also like Alex."

 

"Yet,"

 

"I'm such a slut," Daryl sighed, rolling onto his stomach.

 

"So are we all," Steven said, just as the sound of Patrick and

Alex's laughter could be heard coming from the next blanket. I take it you haven't found anybody like him in your life?"

 

"Your brother and you are more than enough for me."

              

“Yet…" Steven always knew there had to have been someone in Dare’s life before them. He had first assumed that person had been his brother. Now, he wasn’t so sure.

When Darren didn’t reply Steven felt like exploding. "My God, you really are still in love with the senator."

 

"I told you it's not like that."

 

"You desire to see him again, don't you, for him to touch you, kiss you, make love to you," Steven said as he explored Daryl's body with his lips.

Slipping the robe off Daryl's body, Steven climbed on top of him, kissing, licking, and touching Daryl's chest and nipples. For the first time in a long while he had the man he loved all to himself. As gently as he could he made love to Daryl, slowly entering the man's body with his sex, one hand caressing Daryl face while the other stroked his cock, their lips never parting.

 

"I could die now as the happiest man in the world," Steven whispered after both of them had settled down from their climax.

 

"I hope you don't," Daryl chuckled softly, running his fingers through Steven's blond hair.

 

"Let's run away. If we go now we could reach Canada and be married the next day."

 

"I ran away once and looked what's happened."

 

"You're not blaming yourself for Brian's actions? If you are, I'm

= going to have to tickle you to death," Steven threatened.

 

"Brian, my people, none of them would be dying now if I hadn't left."

 

"But you would have never have become a doctor and saved the lives you have." Steven insisted.

 

"And I wouldn't have met you and Patrick," Daryl replied.

 

"You mean meeting us is just as important to you as the hundreds if not thousands of lives you've saved,” Steven said in disbelief.

 

"Jesus had to die for our sins to be forgiven, but only you and

Patrick were able to get me to forgive myself," Daryl replied.

 

Stunned, Steven knew of only one way to respond to such a statement and that was to make love to Daryl all over again, this time not gently but with all the passion his emotions could muster. The two of them must have started shouting at one point, for soon both Alex and Patrick were running towards them and what had been only a twosome turned into an orgy as the others joined in, Daryl being the focus of all the other men's attentions.

 

Consumed by the act of love, Steven lost track of both time and his number of orgasms, at one point blanking out. At some point during the early hours of morning, before the sun had risen, he was jostled awake. Opening his eyes he saw Daryl walking away toward a taller shadow, the two meeting just as the sun reached the horizon, filling the valley with light. With the sun rising in front of Steven, it almost appeared as if an aura of light was wrapped around both Daryl and the stranger.

 

 

"You're still hurt," Scott whispered as he saw Daryl's naked body limping toward him.

 

"I'll live," Daryl chuckled.

 

"Let me help you," Scott said as he reached a hand toward Daryl, only for Daryl to take a step back.

 

"I don't know if I want you to heal me again."

 

"But your leg." Scott said, taking a step forward.

 

"I can survive that. I don't think I can survive a greater burden than you have already given me."

 

"It was never meant to be a burden," Scott insisted.

 

"But that's what it became. I've used up almost all of what you gave me, trying to save as many lives as I could. Now, just when my people need me, I don't have the strength to save them."

 

"They don't deserve it," Scott replied.

 

"Is that God's will, for my people to die?"

 

"I've never pretended to know God's will Daryl, you know that."

 

"But this power, it had to have come from somewhere."

 

"Maybe, but that's all it is, power, lacking both the guidance and wisdom on how to best use it," Scott said as he reached for Daryl only for him to step back again.

 

"I don't want that responsibility anymore."

 

"As I said, it was never meant to be a burden, but to help you find happiness."

 

"And I found happiness." Daryl said, looking back where the others were, Steven gazing blindly in his direction.

 

"I noticed. I'm glad. It pains me to see that you are still not whole however."

 

"I will never get back what I lost with David."

 

"I could," Scott offered.

 

"No, I don't want to lose that pain. It has become like an old friend who will never leave me."

 

"Like I did," Scott said sadly.

 

"Daryl," Steven voice shouted.

 

Turning back to look at Steven, Daryl was distracted just long enough for Scott to lunge forward and grab Daryl hand.

 

Looking back at Scott in shock, Daryl felt for the second time in his life an exhilarating rush of power fill his entire body, causing him to fall down on his knees. Like water washing away sand, the bruises, cuts, and scars covering Daryl body disappeared.

 

Just like the first time, Daryl was blind to everything but the all-consuming white light that filled his vision. Then, sooner than he had expected, everything went black as he collapsed. When his vision returned he could see Steven and Scott wrestling on the ground, Patrick and Alex standing over him, looking confused.

 

"Dare, you ok?” Patrick asked.

 

"Yes, no, no I'm not," Daryl said, not able to remove the wide grin that was on his face. It was just like before… only the feels were stronger. Whatever Scott had done to him the first time he had done a lot more than just heal him.

 

"What did you do to Dare,” Daryl heard Steven shout as the man pinned Scott to the ground.

 

"Nothing that will harm him," Scott said calmly.

 

"Are you alright Dare," Steven asked, not letting go of Scott.

 

"Let him go Steven," Daryl said as he stood back up.

 

"But,"

 

"I recommend you take Daryl advice. He's trying to save your life after all," Scott chuckled.

 

"You really think you can take all three of us on,” Steven asked.

 

"Scott don't," Daryl pleaded.

 

"Then you better get your friend off me," Scott warned.

 

"Steven, get off Scott, he didn't hurt me."

 

"Not until he tells me what he just did to you."

 

"Steven, for your own sake, get off him!" Daryl shouted.

 

Patrick, not deaf to the fear in Daryl's voice, nudged Alex forward so that together they could pull Steven away.

 

"At least some of your friends have a little common sense," Scott said as he brushed the dirt and grass off him.

 

"Why did you do that, I told you I didn't want the burden or anymore of your gifts," Daryl shouted at Scott.

 

"I did it for your own good. Hopefully you won't waste them this time," Scott replied. “You and I are what we are.”

 

"Saving lives was a waste,"

 

"You can't use the power I gave you without me knowing about it. I know exactly who you've save and what's happened to them afterwards."

 

"Then how can you call it a waste,"

 

"Do you know how many people you've kept alive, who really should have died, the ones who are being forced to live in pain, crippled, or even brain damaged,"

 

"They live." Daryl said defensively.

 

"Only as shells of their former selves," Scott argued. "That's why I quit being a doctor and went into politics. As a doctor, I did as you did, keeping people alive well past the point that is humane."

 

"You saved my life."

 

"And you saved Alex's. But for every life that was worth saving, we both extended the suffering of hundreds more."

 

"So why politics?" Daryl asked.

 

"I learned that, just as we are able to heal people's bodies, we can influence their minds. Using the gift that way I have helped guide the country to become a place where you and I will be accepted for what we are."

 

"But what right do you have to do that,"

 

"Why not? You've seen into my heart. You know all I want is to use my power to help humanity. Is that not the same thing you want? I say again we are what we are. You cannot keep denying it."

 

"I know," Daryl sighed. "But why did you give me more of your power when I didn't want it?"

 

"Because even as powerful you think I am, I am still only one man. There is only so much I can do."

 

"But why me,"

 

"For three reasons. Out of all the people who I have saved with my power, you are the only one who has used the power I have given them to save others. The second is something I just discovered about you. I can't control you, you or any of the people you've touched. After a few years of people doing whatever you want them to, I find this situation quiet liberating."

 

"And the third,"

 

"I think you know the third," Scott said as he walked toward Daryl. "I told you on the phone that there's been no one since you."

 

"I'm not some lost kid anymore."

 

"I wouldn't still be interested in you if you were," Scott said as he wrapped his arms around Daryl's waist, pulling him closer, the others frozen in place as he kissed his chosen.

 

 

 

*****

 

At the same time as Scott passed on more and more of what he was into the first and only man he had ever loved, a man standing atop a hill overlooking the ranch had just put down his binocular and dialed the Father. “It is as you predicted Father. The lost one has brought him back to us.”

 

“Good. I knew out lost sheep would bring the wolf back.”

 

 

 

*****

 

"Do any of you know what the hell is going on," Steven asked Patrick and

Alex from where they were huddled together in the living room.

 

"I think this is the point where you will finally have to make that leap of faith I told you about," Patrick replied.

 

"I'm not making any promises but go ahead and tell me."

 

"Alex," Patrick asked.

 

"As both of you know, I once ended up in Dare's ER with gunshot wounds to the chest. Daryl more than saved my life, he gave me new life, new energy, new power. After we rescued him I gave him much of it back to help heal him. You've seen the results," Alex said, touching the gray that now mark his short curly locks.

 

"You want to me to believe that Dare has this strange mystical power that can be transferred between people?

 

"I told you this would take a leap of faith." Patrick reminded him.

 

"But where did he get this power from?"

 

"Weren't you listening outside? It clearly came from Scott," Patrick said.

 

"And where did he get it,"

 

"No one knows," Alex said.

"Well I'm going to find out," Steven said, as he stood up to go looking for Daryl and Scott, only for Alex to tackle him.

 

"No you don't, Daryl told us to sit put," Alex grunted, using his superior strength to hold Steven down.

 

"But you have no idea what Scott is doing to Dare, he might be hurting him."

 

"Do you really think Dare really would ask us to stay away if he was in danger," Patrick said. "He's trying to protect us. Whatever the Senator is I don’t think I could put a scratch on him if he didn’t want me to."

 

"But who's protecting him," Steven demanded, as he struggled to free himself.

 

"You can't protect Dare from this kind of power," Alex said.

 

"How can either of you say that? Don't y'all care about him?" Steven demanded, his anger causing him to slip back into his southern accent.

 

"We do, but the only thing we can do for Dare right now is not add to his problem by having him worry about keeping us safe," Patrick scolded.

 

"Fine, you two just be that way," Steven said as he finally freed himself from Alex.

 

"Don't!" Patrick shouted after his brother to no avail

 

 

 

"Was it as you remembered it," Scott asked, sticking his tongue out to lick the underside of Daryl's earlobe.

 

"No,” Daryl whispered. "Each time has always felt different."

       

"Good, I always try to make it so. May I ask you some questions though?"

 

"You've never needed my permission before."

 

"You're no longer a kid I can push around," Scott joked.

 

"If I remember things, I was the one pushing you around," Daryl chuckled.

 

"You did have a lot of spunk back then. May I ask?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Why did you leave me? Don't blame it on that fight we had when dad lost the election. I'd bet my life you wanted to leave well before that."

 

"I was in pain."

 

"Why didn't you tell me? You know I could easily take it away."

 

"But I didn't want it to go away," Daryl said angrily. "I knew if

I stayed you would find out and make it go away."

 

"This is about David, isn't it?"

 

"Yes, I shunned my own twin."

 

"Because they forced you to," Scott replied.

 

"I could have fought longer, done something, anything to save

David. I needed to punish myself for failing him in a way that you would have never allowed. That's why I left."

 

"How did you punish yourself Daryl?"

 

"I shunned myself, denied myself the love the church taught me that all people need in order to live."

 

"You're right, I would have never let you do such a thing to yourself. Reminds me of the offer I made to you after your brother died."

 

"And I turned you down."

 

"And I still think that was a mistake. I could have destroyed New

Hope, ignite gas buried beneath it. It would have put an end to this madness once and for all."

 

"It would have killed thousands of innocent people."

 

"None of the Blessed are innocent, naïve maybe, but not innocent, not with the complacency they've shown to the crimes their leaders commit."

 

"Can I ask you a question?” Daryl said after a moment of silence.

 

"That would only be fair."

 

"Did you ever sleep with Brian?"

 

"What?" Scott said taken aback.

 

"Have you ever slept with Brian,” Daryl repeated.

 

"I never have, nor have I ever wanted to," Scott replied.

 

"But you did give him some of your power," Daryl insisted.

 

"I think you know the answer to that," Scott said as he left the bed.

 

"Why," Daryl demanded, sitting up. "Don't you know what's he's done with it?"

 

"I'm well aware of what he's been up to. He's been keeping me up to date on everything, except where it deals with you."

 

"And you've allowed this madness,"

 

"You wouldn't let me destroy New Hope my way, so I gave Brian the power to do it himself."

 

"I want you to put a stop to him."

 

"There's no need, Brian has used all the power I gave him. Soon he will be dead, all the unrepentant Blessed will be dead and this sad chapter in your life will be closed."

 

"I thought you wanted to help mankind,"

 

"I am, by removing this small dark chunk of it."

 

"But."

 

"Do you still cling to your church's teachings Daryl after everything you've witnessed?"

 

"Some of what we believe is good," Daryl said weakly.

 

"Not enough to save the life of David," Scott pointed out.

 

"What should I believe in then?"

 

"Only two things, yourself and your loved ones."

 

"Which includes you?” Daryl asked.

 

"You tell me, mind reading is not one of my talents."

 

"You've destroyed everything."

 

"Not everything... only those who have harmed you." Scott replied.

 

"But that makes everything my fault," Daryl insisted.

 

"Only if you want it that way," Scott said, offering his hand to

Daryl and its healing touch.

 

"I don't want them to suffer."

 

"I can make it so they don't but you must trust me. Take my hand Daryl."

 

Daryl took a step towards him.

Copyright © 2014 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..