Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 3,245 Words
  • 1,030 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sole Scion - 8. Chapter Eight: Demonic Awakening

While Andrew seeks fame and fortune as a major celebrity Daniel retreats to the confines of the Academy's major research complex. Daniel knows that the true threat to both Norms and Neos alike remain the mutated monstrosities created by the Plague. When he nears the end of his research those who have been watching his progress prepare to make their move to strike.

Chapter Eight: Demonic Awakening

 

 

July 4th 2473 A.D.

16th Year After Azrael

 

After six weeks of boot, Andrew and his command staff did not take much part in the physical conditioning and field combat. They were too busy learning tactics, diplomacy, politics, engineering, and the growing Awakening religious movement that was being incorporated into standard NSP dogma.

Daniel tended not to do so well in that last subject. He didn’t have problem learning the material. What he struggled at was biting his tongue and not getting into a shouting match with the Chaplin that got him in the most trouble.

Otherwise both were model students. At first the other high ranking cadet officers not under Andrew’s command would taunt Daniel when Andrew wasn’t around but that all changed when the posters began showing up. The NSP propaganda department was making good use the photos they had taken of the pair from last year. They clearly showed Andrews devotion and Daniel’s calm acceptance of his submissive role. According to the polls they were having an effect on the people’s views of the Neo movement. If a Neo could look at a Homo sapien the way the posters showed Andrew looking so passionately at Daniel, then one could not say Neos hated all Homo sapiens. Not when they could see for themselves a Neo madly in love with one.

While it did make the pair the “IT” couple it also drew the sort of attention both would rather avoid. The NSP party leadership was not blind to sudden rise of Andrew’s popularity. They saw no reason to hesitate making the most of it.

The two were required to take part in more photo shoots. So they could be sent out as goodwill ambassadors to what seemed to be an endless list of disaster zones they missed many of their classes.

Daniel quickly became tired of the publicity tours and news interviews but he did his best to hide that fact from the cameras. Andrew, however, couldn’t get enough of it. He might live for Daniel’s love but the constant adoration of the people was as addictive as heroin for him. Daniel thought that after the first year the fad would pass. It took him until the third before he realized that wasn’t going to happen. The NSP had invested too much in presenting Andrew as the face of the Neo movement. They would not let him fall back into obscurity.

It was at the end of their third year that “THEY” came for them. By that point Daniel had been delegated to a minor role in selling the Andrew product. He didn’t mind. He had found other interests to occupy him. If, as the NSP insisted, the true enemy of mankind was the Plague, then that was where he would focus his efforts.

Lately he was spending more time in the lab then in the war room. He liked it there. It was quite enough to give him some peace from his obsessed admirers. Given his fame as a minor celebrity it was the last place people would look for him.

 

During his research he used all sorts of drugs in his experiments to find the source of the Plague. One of the main ones that interested him was a drug called White. While it was not as potent as Blue, White had been added to the main water treatment facilities on the island for the last ten years. According to the authorities the drug would help prevent the outbreak of mundane pandemics within the crammed Arks. That much was true. For the last 10 years it had been added to the water supple at the major Arks and there had not been a single outbreak of typhoid. The reason behind its large scale use was not just limited to its preventative properties. What was not common knowledge was the effect the drug had on a person’s libido. The shortest way to put it was that it turned men gay or more precisely effected the levels of certain hormones that effect sexual attraction. In that sense they were really not gay and if the drug was removed from the water supply there was a chance they would go back to having their original sexual attractions but by that point the custom would be so engrained into society that very few men would make an issue of having sex with other men even without the drug. Since the mixing of the sexes was tightly controlled having the male population able to sate their natural need for sex within their own sex was seen as a means to maintain a stable society. There was also the fact that the Nano Plague was very contagious via sexual transmission. Though scientist had yet to find the specific infectious vector that triggered the monstrous mutations the fact remained that any child born by a woman in the early stages of infection would be born as what is known as a Sleeper. Sleepers never mutated, or at least did not do so until later in life. While a Sleeper showed no sign of infection he remained contagious allowing him to infect every man or woman he slept with. To make matters worse, those infected by him would also not show any signs of infection while also being infectious. A single Sleeper could therefore theoretically trigger a plague outbreak that would grow exponentially. There were other reasons to fear Sleepers. They could sire other Sleepers through the women they slept with.

The worst and most terrifying aspect of a Nano Sleeper however was that when they did mutate all the people the person infected would mutate at the same time. It were these Nano Swarms that would level entire cities.

America saw the full might of a Swarm’s destructive power with the mass mutation of two-thirds of the Phoenix Ark’s population. Unprepared for such an event the military was unable to contain the outbreak. By the time the decision was made to use VX gas the Swarm had expanded beyond the city.

It had taken massive nuclear bombardment and the deaths of a half million conscripted soldiers before the Swarm was eventually annihilated. So that such an event could never happen again, each Ark was equipped with canisters of VX gas. In the case of an out of control outbreak the Ark’s canyons were to be flooded with the nerve agent. It would not kill some types of Nanos but it would stop the plague from spreading to the rest of the human population.

 

 

While most people completely forgot about Daniel, one fan never went away… Ray. Somehow he arraigned for himself to be assigned as Daniel’s valet. He did whatever needed to be done so Daniel would not be interrupted while he worked on his research. He brought him his meals, polished his shoes, and made sure he always had a clean uniform to wear. Regardless of where on the base Daniel happened to be Ray was always knew where he was. Most times Daniel didn’t have to ask him to do anything Ray would just do it. Not that he would ask. Daniel was just so deep in his research he would lose track of the world around him. Even so, Ray seemed to know exactly what Daniel needed at any given moment.

     

On this night, Raymond watched Daniel from the second floor deck of the three story lab complex. Daniel had not slept in three days but he would not let himself get some rest until he knew the results of his latest round of experiments.

“I knew I would find you here.” A voice that was familiar to Ray said from behind.

Forcing his attention away from what was going on below him Ray looked up to find Dmitri’s butler standing directly behind him. “Oh it’s you?” Just as he served Daniel, Samuel served Colonel Labatt in the same capacity

“I ask again, how is he?” Samuel demanded.

“He needs rest.”

Samuel looked down to where Daniel was watching the monitors for the first test results to show up. “He does indeed. But we can’t let him rest now. Not yet… he is so close… so very close to his objective.”

“He’s pushing himself too hard.” Ray replied. “I need to get him to go back to the officer dorms. Waiting a few more days won’t change the results.”

It had taken both by surprise but the two discovered they had more in common than just their present professions. Samuel Drake was a Sleeper just as Ray was. Samuel wrapped his arms around Ray’s shoulders in a comradely like embrace. “Why wait when he is so close to the truth.”

“Because the Colonel is on his way back from the London Ark. If he returns and finds the Captain in his present state he will start snooping.”

“Let him snoop. It won’t do him any good. Neos, Homo sapiens, Nosferatu… they all think they are the future when it is people like us who will control the fate of man.”

Ray felt the hairs along his necks prick up. “You were not always this ambitious. What’s changed?”

“What’s changed? In all honesty, nothing. I’ve tried drugs, prayer, hell I’ve even tried to end my own life but none of it has stopped me from…”

“From infecting others?” Ray rightly guessed. “How many has it been?”

“Does it really matter? Once infected they are just as contagious. The Neos might be immune but there are over twenty thousand Norms on the island. By now who knows how many are infected.”

“And Daniel?”

“No… he’s too faithful to that lover of his to let others enter his bed.” Samuel feigned to yawn. “One way or another however, I’ll make him a Sleeper like the rest of them.”

“What!” Horrified by the thought Ray jumped to his feet and grabbed Samuel by the throat.

“Is there something wrong?” Daniel shouted when he heard the racket coming from the upper level.

Samuel pried Ray’s fingers from his neck. “No… nothing’s wrong. You should get some rest. You look exhausted.”

“You’re right… I could do with a break.” Daniel agreed.

As soon as Daniel had left Samuel grabbed Ray by the throat and dangled him over the edge of the platform. “If you wish to live you better listen. I will not have a young punk like you ruin everything I’ve spent the last sixteen years of my life to achieve.”

“What… what are you?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Samuel released his grip.

Ray dropped to the ground. When he hit he felt his right fibula crack. The pain Ray felt was unlike anything he had felt before. Before Ray could move out of the way Samuel leapt off the platform and landed on the floor completely unharmed. “What… what are you?” Ray demanded between groans of agony.

“I’m a Sleeper of a different breed. If you must know I work for Walker.”

“Travis Everett Walker?”

“No… the real one. The one you’re thinking of is a fake and a fraud. My Master is the real Walker and he’s returned to take back that which is rightfully his.”

The first Travis Walker, the Demon Walker was believed to have died among the ruins of Ares in the Maze. Ray knew this as did his father so how could the Demon Walker still be alive and who is the real Samuel and the real Walker. “But the Nosferatu? Don’t you work for Dimitri?”

“Tools my Master finds useful. In the greatest scheme of things they’re nothing but pawns on a chessboard… sacrificing them is but a small matter.” There was a loud cracking sound when Samuel kicked Ray in the ribs.

“And me… am I another piece your Master will sacrifice?”

“You’re not even on the board. You don’t even know what Daniel is.”

“He’s a Sleeper.” Ray replied.

“Are you sure of that?”

“I can sense other Sleepers. When I’m around him I get this feeling.”

“Then you are not only a fool, you’re clueless. Just for my amusement, I’ll fill you in…” It took hours for Samuel to go through the history of the Winters family… Harry, Avery, and now Daniel. The Walkers had loved the first, had tried to force the second to love them, and now wished to lay claim to the third. Raymond didn’t know why but he detected a hint of jealousy each time, Samuel mentioned Avery.

It took a while but Ray finally figured out who Samuel was. He was Talon, the man who was supposed to marry Everett Walker only for Avery to show up and ruin everything. “You love Walker don’t you? You love him but he loved the Winters more.”

“I am a true Winters!”

Though it caused Ray terrible pain he could not stop himself from laughing at Talon’s claim. “A facsimile but not the real thing… not what your Master really wants. Avery’s dead so why does he want Daniel?” Though facing death Ray didn’t shy from making a few verbal jabs.

“Because Dmitri is right. Daniel’s carries the blood of the God Emperor. My Master loved Harry Winters… he would have done anything for him. Instead of keeping his promise never to leave him, Harry Winters betrayed and abandoned my Master, just as Emperor abandoned those he left on Ares. You have no idea what we’ve endured since the shattering of our homeworld.”

“So your Master seeks revenge.”

“The Master has already has gotten his revenge. He was the one who sent Azrael on its collision course with Earth. He was the one who released into the atmosphere of the stockpile of mutating bioweapons the Dominus kept stockpiled in the Tosian Ark. If you’re looking for the source of the disease which inflicts you it is the nano particles your dear Daniel is on the verge of discovering. If you hope his discovery will lead to a cure, know that it won’t. There is no cure for this Plague. Those infected can either be ruled by the disease or use it to become rulers themselves.”

By this point Ray knew he was dealing with a madman. This Samuel… this Talon fellow had come to have his revenge. But against whom. He had to know. “What do you get out of this Talon?”

“Me…? I get the comforting knowledge that I have once again pleased my master.”

“And Daniel?”

“Daniel-Spamial. My Master wants what the others want…” He leaned to whisper in Ray’s ear. “…a second Empire and a new Emperor.”

It was at that moment that Glenn entered the lab. Not sure what he was looking at he did want any smart bodyguard would do… he drew his gun to try to gain control of the situation. “Freeze!”

Talon stood up and raised his hands over his head. “What seems to be the problem officer?”

“Keep your hands where I can see them.”

“So it is to be Simon says… I love that game.”

“This is no game.”

“But I love playing games. Go on… say Simon says.” Talon was now acting like an overly annoying spoiled child.

“Alright… Simon says you tell me what the hell is going on here.”

“Just a private discussion between friends.”

“Simon says you’re full of shit. What’s happening here Raymond… It is Raymond, right?”

Ray choked and cough as he struggled to speak. “Kill him… kill the bastard.”

“Believe me I am more than tempted to. Simon says you tell me… why is your friend bleeding?”

“What can I say? He tripped. He fell. He got a nasty booboo. ” Talon replied snidely.

“You didn’t happened cause him to fall?”

Talon wagged a finger at the guard. “You didn’t say Simon says.”

“Oh the hell with it.” Glenn pulled the trigger. The bullet hit right above his target’s heart.

Talon dropped but to Glenn shocking surprise was soon back on his feet and laughing. He pulled a finger through where the bullet had torn through his uniform and wiggled the finger at the bodyguard.

“What the hell is this?” Glenn demanded.

“You can’t kill someone who was never truly alive.

Broken leg or no Ray attempted to stand. “Run Glenn… save Daniel.”

“And leave you here to get killed. At least I have a gun.”

“And I have something better.” Ray used his pain and grief to return to his natural form. His physical body melted into a luminous vapor that condensed into a sphere of light.

Talon jumped up and down… giddy with excitement. “You’re not a Sleeper… You’re a fucking Watcher! I once had a Watcher but he left me to be with Daniel’s father. This should be fun.”

Glenn didn’t watch to see what happened next. Lanyon had told him about the existence of the Watchers but Lanyon had assumed they no longer existed. What Lanyon had told Glenn was that these creatures of light had sacrificed their own lives to protect Daniel’s father from the horrors of Ares. While Glenn didn’t know how this one got here he did know Daniel had to be warned. He hadn’t let it slip but he had heard most of what this Talon fellow had said to Ray. He understood only a little of it but he suspected Lanyon could tell him more.

Elsewhere on the base all hell had broken loose. Every Sleeper Talon had infected was mutating into their Nano form. Soon base was crawling with Mantis Warriors and Spiderwolves. Unlike Talon they had no target for their rage so they took it out on every person they could get within reach of their claws.

Glenn thanked god when he found Daniel. He had been so exhausted that he had fallen asleep in his jeep. However when Glenn tried waking Daniel up Daniel could barely open his eyes. Seeing the coffee stains on his lab coat and the dropped thermos in the passenger seat Glenn knew Daniel had been drugged.

No matter. He carried Daniel from the driver’s seat to the back and buckled him in. He hopped behind the wheel and floored it towards the airfield.

Before they were halfway there the bombs began to fall. Word of the outbreak must have reached NET on Western Falkland Island. Protocols for such an outbreak called for scorched earth tactics. “How can they kill so many Neos?” Glenn knew how… the NSP hadn’t gotten where it was by being short sighted. Yes they would lose many of their best future members but they could be replaced. They might have hesitated if Andrew had been present but he was in the air on his way back from London. By now the flight would have been diverted. Not knowing what else to do Glenn smashed the jeep through a barbed wire fence and disappeared into the night with Daniel.

Copyright © 2014 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..