Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 4,424 Words
  • 2,366 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Academy - 7. Part 7

Chapter Seventeen:

The Storm of Injustice

With Jacob helping replace the hole left in his heart by Varrus's exile, Jason found he had a new best friend...though a troublesome one.

"Jason Argot... you will remove that filthy creature from my classroom at once!" Horst demanded when once again Jacob had found some way to slip inside the classroom and jump on Jason's desk. "I'm sorry, sir, but nothing I do seems to work."

"Have you tried tying a chain around his neck and hooking it to a post?" Horst suggested between gritted teeth.

"That would be mean!" Jason almost shouted to the supportive cheers of some of his Legatio friends.

"You don't have to... I so happen to have brought a chain just for this situation." Horst grinned menacingly as he opened a drawer and took out a choke collar.

"No!" Jason shouted. Jacob went flying, jumping from desk to desk. Horst, Felix and his gang of goons tried to catch the pup, but

Jacob was too fast for them. In the end, the chasers ended up battered and bruised from falling on the stone floor too many time and had to be sent to the healers while Jason and his "pet" were once again sent to the Commandant's office. Oktor... looking tired, gave Jason a bemused look once the youth entered his office. "Please sit." He waved to a pillow. As soon as Jason sat down, Jacob curled up into a ball in his lap.

"Jason... what am I going to do with you?"

"I try, sir... I've told Jacob not to follow me to class but he gets lonely and comes anyway."

"Jason... Jacob is a wolf, a wild animal. You can't talk to it and expect him to listen. I might as well ask Jacob to roll over and play dead." Just as those words passed Oktor's mouth Jacob did exactly that. Now curious, Oktor tried a different command. "Sit." Nothing happened. Jason then spoke up;"Sit, Jacob."

This time Jacob went from lying on his back to sitting up on all fours. Seeing now that he had to say the wolf's name to get its attention, Oktor tried out a dozen commands. Each one Jacob followed on the first try. "Jason... this is not a normal wolf you have. Wild animals are not supposed to be so obedient."

"He doesn't always listen to me. He won't stay home like I ask him to nor will he stop growling at Philip."

"Well, I think I have a solution for the first and an explanation for the second. When you are in class I will keep an eye on Jacob; that way he will stop interfering with the other students' learning."

"Alright... what about Philip?"

"To be honest, I think Jacob is actually jealous of Philip."

"Why?"

"Jason... have you never been jealous before?"

"I want to be like you and Philip... be a Centurion, but everyone keeps on telling me that is impossible. So I guess I have."

"Good... now your wolf here sees how close you are to Philip and acts the same way you do about wanting to be a Centurion."

"You mean Jacob wants to be Philip?"

"Yes." Oktor nodded.

"But I have never tried to bite a Centurion," Jason said, confused. "Hahahahaha... no you have not. But different people or, in this case animals, express their jealously in different ways. You express yours by being reckless while Jacob expresses his by being hostile to Philip."

"I see," Jason nodded.

"Good... now go back to class, while I watch Jacob here."

"Yes Commandant... Bye, Jacob. Please don't cause anymore trouble," Jason waved as he stood off his pillow and made his way out of the office.

Once Jason was gone, Oktor gave Jacob a curious smile. "Now let's see how smart you really are."

Taking Jacob up in his arms, Oktor took the wolf pup to the Centurion obstacle course and had Jacob run through it at a pace no Centurion could keep up with. By the time class was done for the day, Oktor was jealous as well, jealous that Jason had such a fine wolf for a companion. "Wait until you are old enough to breed... then I will show you a new trick." Oktor laughed as he carried Jacob back to his master after classes were over.

Finally the day of the inquiry arrived. Jason, dressed this time in his red Legatio uniform, was sent to the Academics' conference room to give testimony and possibly face judgment. When Perils, Field Marshal Xavier and the Senate investigators arrived at the cave to the Academy they were surprised to find both Field Marshals Lukas and Darius already there. "Good to see you have finally arrived." Darius laughed... seeing Field Marshal Xavier riding in a carriage like a Legatio.

"I don't see why the Senate is so upset. So what if a few accidents have happened?" Field Marshal Lukas grumbled.

"The Commandant has failed to look after the welfare of the school. That is what is wrong," Perils declared as if his statement should end the debate.

"All he has done is given the Legatio a few sticks to play with," Lukas replied, unimpressed.

"He's forcing them to fight!" Perils yelled, shaking his fist at Darius. "Something totally improper for any Legatio." shaking his fist at Darius.

"I've heard there have been numerous injuries," one of the senate investigators said, also from the carriage.

Darius took Perils' fist with a firm grip and returned it back to the senator's side. "There have been injuries, but that is always common when you are first teaching a student how to fight."

"The POINT is that these INJURIES are totally UNNECESSARY!" Perils shouted at the top of his voice, loosing control of his anger. "LEGATIO are NOT to use WEAPONS!"

"I think it would give the Legatio better understanding of their cousins. Is this not the reason why we built the Academy in the first place?" Darius said calmly, enjoying the senator's rising temper.

There was a long moment of silence before anyone spoke again. "That is for the investigators to decide," Perils grunted eventually when none of the other senators spoke up.

"Yes... but it will be we Field Marshals who will make the final decision." Darius smiled as he stepped out of the way of the carriage as it made its way to the Academy.

 

Gathered in the large meeting room, all the teachers could tell that the investigators were well prepared. They already had a list of those students who had been hurt or had not taken well to the weapon classes, as well letters of protest from several of the Legatio Academics. They called in all the healers and had them tell about each of the Legatio injuries and the amount of Centurion bone that had to be used in recent months. Finally they called their two main witnesses. The first was Felix.

When his name was called out, Felix came in walking on a cane, hunched over and faltering as if he were a frail old man. Halfway to the witness chair he let himself fall to the ground, giving out a scream of pain. Perils - out of concern or more likely as a part of what all the Centurions and healers knew was an act - lifted Felix up and offered his arm for support for the rest of the slow walk.

Perils, his own back hunched over as if the weight of Felix's pain was on his shoulders, began what would be his master performance. "My fellow senators... Felix, an honorable Legatio youth who is in my own charge, was crippled ... crippled not in a simple sparring accident but in a duel... Is that not true?"

"Yes..." Felix said in a near whimper.

"As you can see the poor boy is still frightened from his ordeal so I will summarize for him," Perils said with a wave of his hand. He did not trust his charge's acting ability enough to let him act as witness for himself.

"That is fine, Senator Perils... we can see the boy is still disturbed by what happened to him." The chief investigator nodded.

"Thank you." Perils bowed to the investigating committee before continuing. "Felix was an innocent bystander when one of the Centurion teachers pushed his favorite student into issuing a challenge to Felix. When Felix refused, the teacher had Felix taken out under guard to the dueling ring. Even after he tried again to escape the duel, he was given the choice of fighting or being tied to a post and whipped. Under such conditions, what choice did the boy have?"

Perils then stopped to take a drink of water. After placing the glass back on the table, the Senator straightened his back as if it had been infused with the power of his indentation. "Felix..., a boy who had only had a few weapons classes, was then surrounded by a wall of Centurion guards... left to fight another Legatio student with more experience, one who had already fought in a duel, one who had already made first blood! What chance did this victim have against a veteran?" Perils finished, pointing at the whimpering boy.

Seeing only a poor act, several Centurion teachers guffawed. Jason was good but no veteran. The laughter, breaking Perils' concentration, delayed continuing by taking several more drinks of water to allow silence to return.

"Felix's opponent was more skilled. The poor boy found himself disarmed soon in the duel but instead of declaring victory, Jason, his attacker, proceeded to break both of Felix's legs in addition to two ribs," Perils said, waving his arms as if in exasperation as he finished while Felix gave off a pathetic wail.

"We will recess until this poor lad has recovered himself. Then we will question this poor boy's attacker," the chief investigator declared, ending the session with a hammer.

 

"This is going to be rough," Philip warned Jason next to him.

"Even I would declare myself guilty," Jason said sullenly.

"You did nothing wrong, Jason... at least by Centurion standards."

"That's the problem... I'm a Legatio."

"Jason... you might have been born a Legatio, but your heart is Centurion. Not one of the Centurion teachers is going to let you be harmed."

"I'm scared..." Jason sighed as he rested against Philip's arms.

When Perils continued his speech, bemoaning what happened to Felix, Philip took his hand and covered Jason's far ear, pressing Jason's head closer, so that the closer ear was blocked by Philip's body. He hoped that it spared Jason anymore pain on being called everything from a butcher, a monster, and a traitor to Legatio society.

When Felix finally left the witness chair to hobble out of the room, there was a lot of grumbling from the Legatio investigators and teachers. Perils waited until the noise of protest and shock died down before calling Jason to the witness chair.

Jason walked to it, his head hanging low. He could feel the hatred in the Legatio investigators hard gazes. He tried to be strong but it was not until he took his seat that Jason looked up at the investigator's faces. He expected Perils to start declaring him a criminal but instead Perils took a different approach.

"I can see the anger in your eyes, my fellow senators... this boy has committed an evil crime for which he should be punished. But this is no ordinary boy... he is the son of Agamemnon, just rescued from the Tosian savages. He has only been with his people for less than a year. Yes... he should have known better than picking up a weapon, but who were the ones to take care of him? Yes, Jason crippled poor Felix... but who pressured him into the fight? Who could have put a stop to it? It was none other than the Centurion teachers who are under the command of Commandant Oktor who let this travesty happen. Commander Philip was the first to lead Jason astray. It was Oktor who demanded that all Legatio take combat classes. Varrus, the staff master, was the one who demanded that the two boys fight. Yes, Jason is guilty, but if he is guilty so are his teachers!" Perils said dramatically as he pointed to where the Centurion teachers were sitting.

"No!" Jason shouted.

"Show us your back!" Perils demanded, his finger pointing now at Jason.

Jason hesitated.

"You will do as the Senator says," the chief investigator, dressed in red and gold robes spoke from his chair. Nervously Jason peeled off his shirt and stood up, showing his back to the senators. "As you can see..." Perils said intensely as he pointed at marks on Jason's back. "Jason has not just had his first duel and blood mark... something unheard of for a Legatio to have, he has several duel marks on his right shoulder as well. You can also see that this youth has already earned his staff mastery mark. Could such an inexperienced youth earn such marks without help if not pressure from the Centurions? But, wait... that might be due to the fact that even with so many tattoos there is a mark missing from Jason's back."

"His back seems pretty marked up as is," the chief investigator said with disgust.

"But yet there is a mark missing for I do believe that Jason is no longer a virgin... is that not correct, Jason?"

Jason... on being reminded about Varrus, began to cry... just as Perils hoped for.

"As you can see by Jason's tears... the poor boy was manipulated by his Staff Master and mentor. Varrus, a Centurion well known for his sexual exploits, took pleasure in using Jason to take his revenge on the Legatio," Perils said, turning his once angry voice to one of sympathy.

Some more grumbling came from the investigators before the chief senator spoke again. "I hope this Staff Master was punished?"

"He should have been executed, but once again our dear Commandant chose a different rout... he sent that criminal into exile instead of letting him face true justice," Perils said spitting out bitterly.

Not much more was said, and soon Jason was dismissed but he did not get up and leave. He was too upset to lift himself out of the chair, his chest rising and falling rapidly while his arms hang uselessly. Philip in the end had to come and pick Jason up, carrying him in his arms out of the room. Perils watched this with a smile he could not hide... it was going so perfectly. Now all he had to do was wait for the senators to come to a decision.

Chapter Eighteen:

The Judgment

"There is no question that crimes have been committed here. The only question is who should bear the punishment for them," Senator Brakis spoke up, opening the debate.

"In my opinion the full blame lies with Commandant Oktor. I think the time has come for a Legatio to run the Academy... Any of our own people would have managed the situation better than the present leadership," Perils offered.

"No... not now and not ever will we see a Legatio as Commandant!" Lukas barked.

"What the commandant did, he did with our authority. The Senate has no place in challenging our orders," Field Marshal Darius agreed more calmly than his comrade.

"Then we should punish Philip... he is the boy's guardian!" another member of the Senate jurors spoke up."

"If you are suggesting we punish my bondmate, then I think you are greatly in error. Second... when at the Academy, the Commandant is viewed as the guardian of both Centurions and Legatio. We have already said we will not see the Commandant punished," Darius replied. At that moment, an ancient-looking Legatio rose from his chair.

"Then the punishment must lie with the person who committed the crimes... Fellow senators, I am afraid we must see to the punishment of one of our own... we must see that the Legatio boy pays for his actions."

Seeing his fellow Field Marshals nod in agreement, Darius rose up in anger. "If it is the decision of this body to see an innocent young man punished, then I refuse to sit here and take part in it!" With that, Darius stormed out of the room.

While he was gone, the Senate quickly reached a decision, issuing a decree... Jason was to be publicly flogged. He was then to be healed but as soon as he had recovered, expelled from the Academy, to live in Domus under the guardianship of Senator Perils until such time as he learned to control himself.

For Perils, nothing could have been better.

For Jason, nothing could be worse.

 

Philip, back at home and in bed with Jason, held the crying young man in his arms. The trial had been too much for Jason, especially with his already great burden of self-guilt and self-hatred. In the middle of Jason's crying, when Philip was beginning to believe nothing would stop it, there was a loud banging on the door, followed by the howling sound of a young wolf. Philip attempted to climb out of bed to see what was happening but was stopped by Jason's iron grip on him. Still, he did not have long to wait, as Erik and Field Marshal Darius burst into the room followed by Jacob, who jumped onto the bed and pounced on Jason, startling him enough for him to let go of Philip.

"What's wrong!" Philip demanded.

"We need to leave!" Darius yelled as he threw Philip his clothes.

"Why... what happened?

"Perils was running out of people to blame so he turned on Jason. The senators are sentencing him as we speak."

"But... for what?" Philip said in shock. "You would never agree to such punishment."

"No... but both Xavier and Lukas did. My guess is that Lukas still holds a grudge against Jason over what he did during the riots."

Philip jumped out of the bed and began dressing. "I won't let them do this." "Nor will I," Darius sighed as he wrapped an arm around his bondmate's waist and pulled him into a kiss. "I'm taking both of you with me back east."

"I will go get Kristen," Erik said before running down the stairs.

Within minutes Philip was able to dress the still stunned Jason and pack a few bags. Soon he heard the sound of a horse and a wagon driven by Kristen, holding both Gideon and Alex, arrive outside Philip's home. "We must leave this place!" Darius yelled as he threw Philip his clothes.

Philip carried Jason down and put him in the wagon, covering him with a thick blanket, with Jacob curled up in a ball next to him.

"What's wrong with Jason?" Alex demanded on seeing Jason's traumatized face.

"He's in shock," Philip replied. "Perils brought up Varrus during the investigation. It's torn him up inside."

"Where are we going?" Gideon asked.

"You two are going nowhere. Darius and I are taking Jason away. That will get us in enough trouble.

"You are not going anywhere without me," Caleb spoke up. Instead of being dressed in black, he wore chain mail coat, a helmet and a short sword.

"Where did you get that?" Darius demanded reaching for his own sword.

"I borrowed some of Alex's white clothes and took these from the armory," Caleb explained.

"You do know that it is a crime punishable by death for a Famulus to carry a weapon?" Philip warned as he moved himself between Caleb and the wagon.

"I am no Famulus! I was born a citizen of Qul Tos!" Caleb retorted.

"If you are neither Centurion nor Legatio you are Famulus," Darius insisted.

Philip drew a dagger from his belt and moved closer Caleb. "Tell us why we should not kill you?"

"Because I can help you... I know the Eastern Confederacy better

than any of you." "We knew enough to beat you," Philip said darkly.

"Then how do I know of an unguarded mountain pass just fifty miles away that leads from Domus to Qul Tos, and you don't."

Darius smirked in disbelief. "There is no pass." "Yes there is... Qul Tos has been scouting your boarder for years

trying to find a way into the Domus Empire other than the Gate. It took centuries to find, but we did discover a way through the mountains."

"Then why did you not use it?" Philip demanded.

"It is too difficult to take an army through. We have only used it to send in spies."

Darius placed a hand on Philip's knife hilt, pulling it back. "Take us to this pass. But you'd better not be leading us into a trap."

"I'm not leading you into a trap," Caleb swore.

"Alright, you can join us but take off that armor and sword. Until we are out of Domus you will continue to be a Famulus," Philip demanded.

"We are coming as well!" Alex insisted.

"No you are not... you will finish school!" Philip ordered. "I'm your guardian so you will do as I say!"

"You are not my guardian." Gideon spoke up.

"No... your guardian is the Commandant. Do you think he would appreciate you joining us?" Philip asked. "You need to stay here."

"Why... I have no future with the army... I'm a cripple," Gideon said while waving the stump of his arm. "If I come with you I will at least feel useful."

"You will get in a lot of trouble for coming with us," Darius warned.

"I know," Gideon said as he bowed his head.

"All right you can come," Darius said as he put a hand on Gideon's shoulder.

"Really!" Gideon grinned.

"What!" Philip said shocked.

"The boy is right... if he stays here he will be nothing more than a secretary or interpreter. This might be his last chance to do something important," Darius explained. "You should not deny him his chance at glory."

"Then why can't I come?" Alex demanded.

"You still have have a very bright future ahead of you, Alex, and will have many chances to do great things. For any chance of that to happen, however, you need to finish your officer's training," Darius said as he placed his other hand on Alex's shoulder.

"I understand," Alex relented, bowing his head.

"Good, now get home... and try to act surprised when the guards come looking for Jason.

"I will," Alex grinned going to where Jason was laying in the wagon, still sobbing. "I still love you Jason. Nothing will change that. When I'm strong enough I will force the Senate to let you come back. We'll be able to be together then. Just promise you'll wait for me."

"Alex, you must go. The Academy's guards will be here at any moment." Darius ordered.

"But I just need to talk with Jason," Alex insisted.

Going to his brother Philip put a hand on the man's shoulder. "He's in shock Alex. He can't answer you. Do not force him to make a promise he can't keep."

"I love him Philip. He's the only man I will ever love."

"The same though is not true for Jason though. You know that Alex."

"One day he'll understand what I am offering him."

"But not today. You know where we must go Alex. You know who is there waiting for him."

"Qul Tos where Varrus is," Alex whispered.

"Yes, if there is a man in Ares who can heal Jason's wounds and cause him to smile again it's that man."

"Jason really loves Varrus," Alex said feeling his eyes begin to water.

"He loves us all Alex. One day I hope you will finally be able to

accept that." Philip said, the wagon almost completely loaded now.

"But I'm offering him the most. I'm willing to give him every part of me."

Pulling his brother closer Philip embraced him, patting Alex on the back as he did so. "I know Alex and so does Jason. What Jason needs from you right now though is his freedom. Can you give that to him?"

"I do but I swear, one day I will punish those who have hurt him so. I will then be able to bring him back where I shall sit him on a golden throne." "Jason, Emperor of all Domus?" Philip laughed, not taking his brother seriously. "Go now Alex, Oktor can only hold off Perils men for so long."

"I understand. When Jason is better please tell him what I said." Alex said before running off into the darkness.

"A good lad, that one." Caleb grinned as he waved goodbye.

"Of course... he is my brother," Philip agreed. Erik then started the wagon moving forward toward the waterfall cave.

"Halt!" the Academy guard shouted when they approached the entrance.

"Get out of my way!" Field Marshal Darius ordered, stepping closer to the torch light so the guards could see his ceremonial red and black armor.

"Sorry, Field Marshal." The guard bowed. "There has been a lot

of traffic through the gates."

"Why, what has happened?" Darius demanded.

"First, the senators arrived. Then just an hour ago, a messenger from the Western Army came barreling through. Moving even faster than the messenger was Field Marshal Lukas and his escort after he read the message, storming out of here in a real hurry. It seems his legions are being pushed back from Gladmore."

"Well, now I am in a hurry so open the gates!" Darius demanded, hiding the concern he felt.

The guards moved double quick, raising the iron bars blocking the passageway and letting the army pass. They were in such a hurry they did not even bother to see who was leaving with him. Darius then turned to Caleb for directions.

The former prince took them down the road for five miles before leading off to the east, across an empty plain of brown grass and toward the Jasper Mountains that made up the northern border of the Domus Empire. Off the roads, the wagon moved very slowly and was jostled by the uneven ground. Soon Caleb and Kristen got off the wagon and walked to avoid motion sickness. After traveling 15 miles off the road, Darius called for a halt to build camp. It would be three more days before they reached the secret passage Caleb promised.

Copyright © 2012 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hey,

I'm still captivated by this story. One thing I'd like to help with is when you do quotes..when a new speaker begins to talk you start a new paragraph. You'll see it will make it clearer to read also.

I can't wait to keep reading.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..