Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 4,960 Words
  • 13,727 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Best Year - 15. Chapter 15

When the last bell rang, I grabbed my backpack and sports bag and followed the bustling people that had drivers’ licenses out the back door to the student parking lots. I sighed, knowing my day was far from over, I still had practice on the track while Coach pulled double duty with me and the football team. Mostly I would be jogging and doing some weight and flexibility shit while he badgered the football team.

After I dropped my backpack off at my car I clicked the lockdown button on my keychain and walked across the lawn towards the athletic center the school board built for us to house all of the outside sports in one general location. Scanning the grounds, I already saw some of the cross country kids stretching and preparing to run around town. Taking advantage of the summer sun while they could before the nights got longer and they have to stop.

As I walked up the small hill to the football field, Coach was already there checking his phone and his watch. When he noticed me he outstretched his arms and shook his head. I knew I wasn’t late for anything, it wasn’t like running was all that important. The only reason I had to be here was because of his duties with the football team. I knew when their season ended in December or early January, that my season would just be getting into the home stretch.

The thought of never swimming for my high school again didn’t bother me though. The school didn’t have a sanctioned team, but they didn’t mind bragging about me when I did well at meets. Right now, I was only about a month away from my first friendlies, then I would be on to the trials and meets that mattered. I hoped to get invited to district and regional championships this year, I won some meets last year in both, but didn’t qualify for the state championships, my fastest times were still not good enough to make them this year, but I hoped to change that. I grew two inches between seasons, so I at least looked more like a swimmer, instead of someone that played pretend at their local YMCA.

“I’ve been trying to reach your sorry ass all day, Jackson,” Coach bellowed as soon as I stepped around the goal post. He nearly ran over to where I stood, his whistle bouncing on his chest.

“I’m not late,” I groaned already dreading the extra laps. He might actually make me run around the entire center or up and down bleachers. It was still hot out and I wanted to get into the locker rooms before the football idiots got in there and started having towel snapping and loudest fart competitions. Derek was a bit of a champ at both and always liked to include me.

“Where the hell is your phone?” He asked ignoring my tone for the time being. I could tell he was distracted by whatever had him so flustered. I only got nervous when his eyes landed on me and I could tell he had more to say and was hesitating.

“Mom has it, I’m grounded,” I answered my face flushing as I glanced past him towards the weight room where the locker rooms were. “Can I go change?”

“No you can’t go change,” he sighed. “You need to get your ass ungrounded already so I can reach you.”

“You could have just called me to your office,” I countered turning my attention back to him.

When he crossed his arms and spread his stance out, I knew I had said the wrong thing. He always tried to make himself look bigger before he blew up and went into total coach mode. His face was reddening by the second and the vein on his forehead began to pop out.

“You know Welker doesn’t approve of coaches doing that during school hours,” he answered shaking his head. “I must have sent you a hundred texts.”

“What’s wrong?” I asked and I watched as he glanced down at his watch.

“I’m waiting for your mother,” he answered sighing. “I think this needs to come from the both of us.”

“Okay,” I said trying not to show how much that bothered me. My heart was racing and I briskly wiped the sweat from my forehead with the back of my hand. “What’s this about, you can tell me without my mom being here.”

“I think she needs to be here for this,” he countered then I saw him relax as he looked past me.

I almost expected the football players to be congregating behind us. He looked like he was looking for any excuse to dismiss me to get away until Mom could show up. Instead though, I turned around to see her getting out of her car and slinging her purse strap over her shoulder. She was in heels, which meant that she was in meetings all day and wasn’t walking the factory. Her hair was quickly coming out of the bun as she awkwardly walked from the parking lot to the field.

“Grace,” Coach groaned as soon as she was in earshot. “Give the boy back his phone so someone can reach him.”

“I know, I know,” Mom said holding up her hand before rummaging through her purse for my phone. Finding it she quickly gave it back to me. “I’m sorry, but really Rick, this could have been handled at home.”

“Home?” I asked crossing my arms. Mom’s appearance derailed the last bit of my resolve and when she looked at me her eyes seemed to glaze over with unshed tears. “What’s wrong?”

“Jackson,” Mom said, her voice low and careful. “We’ve been meaning to tell you something very important for the past couple of days.”

I watched as she felt around in her purse again and pulled out a white envelope. It looked fat with papers, but the first thing my eyes saw was that it was addressed to me. The next thing I realized was that it was from the college I was going to swim at for the next four years.

“You opened my mail?” I asked angrily reaching for the envelope.

“I knew what it was as soon as it came,” Mom said as she held the envelope close to her chest and out of my reach. “The Athletic Director called Rick after I didn’t answer my cell. You know how terrible it is for me to hear my cell ringing at the factory with all that noise and your father, well, he never answers his phone.”

“Grace,” Coach groaned, “give it to him straight, he can handle it.”

“I don’t think I can,” Mom hissed waving the envelope in her hand. I tried to snatch it from her, but she shot me a look somewhere between annoyance and worry.

“Fine,” Coach said shaking his head. “The swimming program lost some funding, which led to a loss of two scholarships. You were the last one offered, so you lost your spot, Jack. I’m sorry to have to tell you.”

“What do you mean?” I asked reaching for the envelope. “They can’t do that.”

“Honey,” Mom said as she handed over the envelope. When I ripped the already open envelope further, my heart sank when the first document I saw was my signed letter of intent. I didn’t even need to read the stupid consolation letter.

“Fuc...damn it!” I yelled as I threw the envelope down.

“Jack, honey,” Mom started, but I heard the approach of people behind me and when I turned around I saw the football team, Derek and Toby included were standing just off the field with the head coach. They looked to be coming from a short group meeting, but I realized it was just a short delay so Mom and Coach could tell me the news. Behind them I saw Luke, standing on the other side of the fence that encircled the field, as if realizing that he may not have permission to be there.

“How long have you known?” I asked turning to face them both.

“Only a little while,” she answered reaching to hug me. I stepped away from her. No matter how much I wanted her to hug me, I wasn’t about to let her in front of most of the cool kids at school. At least not the dumbfucks that would tease me about being a Momma’s boy anyway. I definitely didn’t want them seeing me upset.

“No, tell me, how long?” I asked trying to keep my voice down. I could hear mumbling behind me, but I didn’t dare turn to look at them now.

“We can talk about this at home,” she answered looking past me. “Please.”

“There’s more you need to know,” Coach started, but I held up my hand and he frowned and closed his mouth.

“I’ll see you at home later, Mom,” I whispered as I turned on my heels and walked through the football team.

“Dude!” Derek called and I glanced over my shoulder to see him and Toby breaking from the crowd. Coach called out to them and they stopped by the time I was through the exit at the fence and standing with Luke.

“Go away,” I growled as I passed him on the way back towards the parking lot.

“What’s going on?” He asked as he fell into step beside me.

“Nothing,” I answered shooting a glare at him. “I said go away.”

“Come on, Jack,” he countered as we turned the corner to the parking lot. The only cars that were left belonged to the football players that were old enough to drive. No one was milling around or talking, most of the fall sports were kicking off so not a lot of people that would be back here had free time to do so anymore.

“No,” I said as he reached up and grabbed my arm to stop me. “I said get the fuck away from me.”

“Fine,” Luke said and I hated that he sounded completely calm. Not even a hint of hurt or anger at my attitude. Here I was about to explode and he was standing next to me like nothing was going on. I knew he was just trying to keep his cool. Something I should be trying to do before everyone started talking about me.

“Are you going to get in?” I asked as I unlocked my car and opened my door. He was still hesitating by my side of the car.

“I don’t know,” he said looking at the car and trying not to smirk. “You’re not going to rage crash us into anything are you?”

“Shut up,” I hissed biting my bottom lip and hating that he managed to break through some of my despair. “I’ll try not to.”

“Alright, Mom brought me anyway and I didn’t feel like riding the bus today,” he said as he shrugged and walked around to the passenger side.

“So you were, what, just going to hang out at the football field and hope I let you ride home with me?” I asked holding the door open. I glanced around to make sure that Mom wasn’t trotting after us in her heels. I couldn’t see most of the Football field from where I was parked, but I doubted she waited around long after I stormed off.

“Yeah,” he answered shrugging.

“You’re pushing your luck, you know that,” I countered sliding into my seat closing my door behind me. I watched him open his door and slide into the passenger seat. When he closed his door I started the engine and slammed my seat belt home before I put the car in gear and slung gravel as I left the parking lot.

As we drove in no real direction I kept glancing over at Luke from the corner of my eye. He was looking forward, but I had the suspicion that he was also shooting covert looks in my direction. The silence made me want to explode. For once he wasn’t saying anything and even though I didn’t want to talk, I wanted him to fill the silence with something to keep me out of my own head.

“So,” he said finally breaking the silence. “Where are we headed, you’ve done a couple of u-turns.”

“I don’t know,” I countered glancing around, my hands ached with my grip on the wheel and when I noticed the park in the distance I slowed down and turned when I reached the access road.

“Well you could have saved some gas, we passed the park like three times,” he said and I slammed the breaks not caring that I was taking up three parking spaces. No one came to the park during weekdays, it wasn’t officially even open to the general public yet, but I figure there’d be some people out playing basketball or mingling around in the parking lot.

“Shut up,” I groaned putting the car into park and getting out. I slammed the door behind me and didn’t care to wait for him, but when I heard his door open and close I pressed the lock down button on my car until I heard my horn. I kept walking until I found the entrance to one of the hiking trails to the river and slowed my pace as Luke caught up to me.

“Mom will be wondering where I am by now,” he commented and I looked over to see him looking around the woods, up at the canopy, then back towards me.

“I didn’t ask you to come,” I countered flexing my hands at my sides as we walked.

“You kind of did,” he argued smirking as he reached out and snapped off a twig. “Are you going to tell me what that was about?”

“You know Coach would have kicked your ass off the field, no one is allowed to watch the football team practice unless they’re using the track,” I said pulling on my shirt collar. The humidity caused it to cling to me and I felt myself begin to sweat, it didn’t take long here in this heat. I would be starting to really amp up my training, getting ready for my upcoming meets. My season would be starting and it would have kept me busy until April when the State Championships started. Now I wasn’t seeing the point, I felt it was too late for me to even fuck with it.

“Really?” He asked cocking an eyebrow. “Even if I was there to jog around the track or something?”

“Off limits during practices, unless you’re me or on the track team,” I answered shrugging.

“Oh,” he said and I sighed. He wasn’t going to push anything out of me and I knew I brought him along to talk to him. To try to calm myself down enough to go home and not explode on Mom for keeping this from me.

“I lost my scholarship,” I mumbled looking away.

“Really?” He asked grabbing my elbow to stop me. He gently turned me towards him when I stopped walking and I looked down the trail we still had to walk in order to get to the river. We could have just walked on past the tennis courts, off trail, to get to the river faster, but I wanted to take my time. When I nodded he wrapped me into a hug and I let my arms wrap around his waist as he pulled me closer to him. I could smell his cologne and shampoo, being only slightly taller than he was. I breathed deeper and sighed as I tried to even out my breathing. “I’m sorry about that.”

“I knew it was too good to be true anyway,” I countered backing out of the hug. I hated when people apologize for shit that wasn’t their fault. “I’m just an idiot kid from a local YMCA.”

“Shut up,” he said shaking his head. “You love swimming, I could see that the first time I tagged along and Rick Tate yelled at you the entire time.”

“So?” I asked shrugging my shoulders. “It’s not good enough, I’ll never…”

“Shut up!” He yelled reaching out to grab my shoulders. I could feel the pressure of his fingertips and I wanted to shrug him off. “So that scholarship didn’t work out, their loss.”

“You don’t get it,” I hissed frowning. “I don’t have time, they were the only school to offer me one.”

“So you’re giving up and quitting on something you’ve done your whole life?” He asked still holding me in place.

“Why do you care?” I asked shrugging out of his grasp. We started walking towards the river again.

“Did you want it?” He asked after a minute or so of silence.

“What? The Scholarship?” I asked kicking a rock off the trail. It went crashing a few yards into the forest and I heard a squirrel start chirping from the sound it made.

“Yeah,” he answered turning to look at me.

“I did want it,” I said as we came to the clearing and reached the bank of the river. The water had fallen down more since we were tubing. It always looked pitiful this time of year, but the fall rain and the winter snow will swell it back to full power before Spring. The water wasn’t murky and I could see fish swimming up and down stream looking for food. “I wanted to get into college, I wanted to swim and see how far I could get away from this shit hole town.”

“So you were running away then?” He asked as I bent and picked up a small rock.

“Not really,” I answered as I tossed it into the river. The rock caused a tiny splash and ripple that quickly smoothed back out in the moving water, like it never even happened. “It was just something I worked really hard for, something bigger than myself, you know?”

“Yeah,” he offered picking up his own rock, I watched him toss it into the river. Fish scurried away from the intrusion and when I turned back to look at him he was smirking. When he noticed me looking at him he turned to face me. “So don’t give up, I’ll help you.”

“How?” I asked swallowing hard against the tightness of my throat. I had been on the edge of losing it and crying since the football field. I wasn’t about to break down in front of him though.

“I don’t know,” he answered offering me a small smile. “Maybe I’ll just believe in you until you do again.”

“Shut up,” I said rolling my eyes as I looked at the ground.

“Are you always this stubborn?” He asked reaching for my hand. When I offered mine he took it and laced our fingers together. The touch sent a chill through me and when I looked up, his eyes were warm. I felt myself holding my breath and sighed.

“Yes,” I said grimacing slightly when my voice fell off to a whisper.

“Are you ready to go see what your Mom has to say?” He asked still holding my hand. He didn’t wait for my answer and gently tugged to get me walking back down the trail towards the car.

“I don’t really want to hear her apologizing and telling me everything will be okay,” I countered shuffling my feet along the trail.

“I already did that,” he countered cocking an eyebrow. “Did that annoy you?”

“Yes,” I answered and smiled when he laughed.

“Alright then,” he said sighing, but the smile never faltered. “What should I do then?”

“I don’t know,” I answered as my heart raced at the change in his voice.

“Kiss you?” He asked pulling me to a stop. “Would that have helped?”

“I don’t know,” I answered and I rolled my eyes and pulled my hand from his when he laughed.

“Come on,” he groaned when I started walking again. He caught up to me and pulled me into another hug. We were in the middle of the secluded trail, far enough away from the river to no longer hear or smell the water, but not far enough along the trail to see the park or hear the traffic noises from the highway.

Luke broke the hug and I looked away shaking my head.

“You can do whatever you want to do,” he said, his voice low and calm. “You might not see it in yourself now, mostly because you’re a stubborn asshole.”

“Very funny,” I hissed trying not to smile. “I see my foul mouth has rubbed off on you, your mother will be washing that mouth out.”

“Now you’ll know why if you taste soap,” he countered and I looked down at his lips. His bottom lip was slightly fuller than the top and I noticed he hadn’t shaved, blonde stubble was gleaming a slight gold color in the sun. It seemed to make his brown eyes glow like a sunset in the fall, with golds and shades of brown.

“Yeah?” I said swallowing against my sudden nerves. We hadn’t kissed since last night and being out here, in the open and instead of at home or in the seclusion of the YMCA when we were the only ones made everything feel different. I didn’t know if I was brave enough, not here, and not while my mind was filled with everything else.

Then I saw his eyes soften and his lips part. His face started inching towards mine, so much so that he had to take a half step towards me to close the distance between us. When he stopped about halfway, I almost groaned hoping he would come on and kiss me. Then when I saw the small smile, my stomach fluttered and I leaned in and kissed him.

When our lips touched we both relaxed, the tension leaving our lips as I wrapped my arms around his waist and pulled him against me. I heard him sigh and his breath rush across my lips as he smiled and kissed me again. I tasted cinnamon gum and felt goosebumps all along the back of my neck when his fingertips brushed along my shirt collar to the back of my head.

“I’ve been wanting to do that all damn day,” he said breaking the kiss.

“So that’s why you skipped out on the bus,” I countered and he smiled.

“Maybe,” he hissed playfully pushing me away. He shook his head as we started walking again. I no longer felt like breaking down, instead I felt a small bit of determination creeping over me warring with the doubts I let in. I couldn’t see how I could do anything to change things though, not really.

I had everything and then most of it crumbled away. I wanted to blame everyone. I glanced at Luke knowing my life would be easier if he would go back to being someone I didn’t even know. That maybe I could focus more and kick my own ass back into shape. Maybe I could get back to the best year of my life, the one I already saw played out in front of me as soon as my senior year started.

“What?” He asked when he noticed me looking at him. We had just broke the forest line and could see the car in the distance, still parked the wrong way.

“Nothing,” I answered smiling. I didn’t want to go back though. As much as everything seemed to be falling apart at my feet. These moments with Luke were different and I felt different. It still scared the hell out of me and I didn’t know how we were going to get through the year.

“I’ll go with you to talk to your mom,” he said reaching for my hand. I quickly scanned the park to make sure no one else was around before I took reached across the space between us.

“Good,” I said and I knew that if I didn’t royally mess everything up, that Luke would be along for the ride with me. After today though, I just didn’t see how we could keep it from happening.

“So tell me something,” Luke said after we slid into my car. I was about to start the engine and turn the car around.

“What do you want to know?” I asked letting my hand rest on my car keys. He offered me a small smile not really having anything to ask me. Instead he shrugged, but didn’t turn away. I wasn’t going to say anything, we both had mothers anxiously waiting for us back at our homes. I didn’t want to stretch getting my phone back, but I knew after Rick yelled at her, Mom likely wouldn’t take it from me again.

“Why didn’t you get into football, like Derek and Toby?” He asked as I fought for breath in the hot car. I could see sweat breaking out on Luke’s forehead and his cheeks were slightly flushed. It never took long for cars to become ovens here during the summer.

“I didn’t like football,” I answered turning the key and starting the engine. The cold air hit us and I saw him sigh and lean back against the seat still turned to listen to what I had to say. I figured he was trying to calm me down and keep me talking before we got to my house. For once, I wanted the distraction and didn’t find his curiosity annoying, although, if I was being honest I never really did anyway. “Mom and Dad didn’t really want me playing either, too physical.”

“Same for my mom,” he added rolling his eyes.

“I think Rick also didn’t like seeing us all sitting around on our asses during the summer,” I explained falling back into my seat. “He was my babysitter during the summer when I was younger.”

“Yeah?” Luke prompted after my cell phone buzzed in my pocket. I already knew it was from Mom, so I ignored it. If Luke heard it, he didn’t let on.

“So one day Derek, Toby, and I were hanging out in the living room playing video games and Rick walked in carrying a box. A week or so later he dragged the three of us to the YMCA.”

“And you found out that you liked it?” Luke asked leaning forward in his seat slightly. I could see that the sweat was drying on his skin, being slowly replaced by goosebumps from the cold air.

“Hell no,” I answered and smiled when he laughed. “Toby and Derek rode my ass for weeks, they already threw enough tantrums to have run of the place during my practices. They spent the time playing basketball in the gym. Especially when Rick brought out the uniforms, they called them my water panties.”

“You do look good in those tight shorts,” he commented and I felt my face flush as I shook my head and slid the car into gear.

“Shut up, idiot,” I hissed as I did a quick u-turn in the deserted parking lot.

“You do,” He countered sliding on his seatbelt. I chewed on my bottom lip trying not to let the compliment wash over me. I could already tell my face was flushed and when I glanced over at him before pulling out onto the main road back home, I saw him trying not to laugh.

“I’m going to miss it,” I sighed swallowing against the sudden knot in my throat.

“You won’t have to,” Luke countered reaching over to grab my hand as a stupid stray tear slid down my cheek.

He let me ride home in silence, just the sound of the quiet engine and the air blowing through the vents. He kept his hand in mine all the way, but I couldn’t see how I could turn my luck around. That scholarship really was my only hope to continue swimming, something I loved. Something that had been my life for so long. I knew it would end eventually, the competitions, the time trials, Rick’s annoying as hell whistling that I could barely hear under water. I just hoped I could just make it last a few years longer, that’s all I wanted.

I groaned as I flipped my turn signal and turned into my driveway. I expected to see Mom’s boring as hell car sitting out front, but then I saw a sleek black car with pink cheerleading decals in the back windshield. I wanted to slam on the brakes and leave before Ally or Mom could look out the window and see us.

“What?” Luke asked as I still debated bolting. Then I noticed the front door swing open and Ally stepping outside followed closely by Mom. Glancing over at Luke he unfastened his seatbelt and slipped his hand from mine with a reassuring smile. “It’s just Ally.”

“Yeah,” I said killing the engine, but I couldn’t help seeing the fire in her eyes as my eyes met hers from across the driveway. “Just Ally.”

“Right behind you,” he whispered as I unfastened my seat belt. I gave him a tiny nod and led the way toward the two women waiting for us on the front porch with my mind failing on figuring a way out of this with every step we took. And I hated, more than anything, that Luke was walking beside me as if we were still on a stroll towards the river at the park and not walking into the continuation of my fucked up senior year.

Copyright © 2017 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 59
  • Love 7
  • Sad 4
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Ouch... I had been worried that he would lose his scholarship because of poor performance, but not because of a funding cut. Luke seems to have some ideas for how he can get another scholarship, or at least that was my impression. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the coach's "There's more" isn't something that will drive him over the edge :/

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I feel bad for Jackson losing his scholarship, but I honestly think the fact that everything is no longer just being handed to him on a platter is humbling him and making him a more likeable person. I also like the fact that he's taking Luke's support instead of pushing him away. I always thought I would never like Jackson, but he's slowly breaking down that wall. Just so he continues his becoming a more respectful young man.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I'm getting to be terrible at reviewing individual chapters as I read them... I love this story! The characters are very realistic, relatable and believable, and I can't wait for the next chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Life's a little crazy, so I can't really write a review right now but... :)

 

Having Jackson end up turning to Luke to help sort out his emotions was wonderful.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Read this story last night and am really enjoying it. It's the first story of yours I've read since, "Are you Christian", which I really had liked. Looking forward to where you take these guys. Thanks. Steve.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well, certainly not the best day for Jackson, and it looks like it might get a tad worse. ;)

 

However he's beginning to get softer edges and now has Luke at his side. Hmmm.

 

Very nice (I should say interesting) chapter, Krista.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I have mixed feelings this chapter. Not on the writing, this was once again very well done. Jacks and Luke are getting closer and closer. It said a lot that even at one of his worst moments, Jacks still brought Luke with him and even turned to Luke for support. That guy that he kept telling himself that he didn't even want to be friends with.

 

I felt Jackson's reaction to the news being withheld was more subdued than I would have liked. There's nothing wrong with a normal and natural reaction. Holding it in won't solve anything. My problem is, I've always basically disliked Jackson's mom, and his dad to a lesser degree. I've always felt she was a bit phony and hypocritical. Not to mention both parents being more wrapped up in their careers than worried about parenting their teenage son. People disliked Jackson at first because he was apparently spoiled and arrogant, and while I agree to some extent, I've still felt like mom was somewhat in the wrong as well.

 

This chapter, she seriously bugged me. I just can't fathom this latest antic. She intercepts Jackson's mail, opens and reads it, and then hides the important and potentially disastrous news from him. Yeah fuck that lady sorry. I mean as a kid my parents were constantly monitoring my activities, and I couldn't even imagine them doing anything like that. Just wow. Not only was it cringeworthy, but basically also illegal. But whatever. Maybe she'll make up for it in whatever halfhearted bullshit justification she imparts upon Jacks next chapter. I just don't see what right she felt she had to do that and moreover what purpose could possibly be served by keeping it hidden from the person it directly affects.

 

Finally, I not sure where Ally's anger could possibly be stemming from other than Jacks commiting the horrible crime of having Luke with him. He really ought to do the right thing for all three of them and end things with her, but Jacks often has a problem doing the right thing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 08/16/2016 01:59 AM, spikey582 said:

I have mixed feelings this chapter. Not on the writing, this was once again very well done. Jacks and Luke are getting closer and closer. It said a lot that even at one of his worst moments, Jacks still brought Luke with him and even turned to Luke for support. That guy that he kept telling himself that he didn't even want to be friends with.

 

I felt Jackson's reaction to the news being withheld was more subdued than I would have liked. There's nothing wrong with a normal and natural reaction. Holding it in won't solve anything. My problem is, I've always basically disliked Jackson's mom, and his dad to a lesser degree. I've always felt she was a bit phony and hypocritical. Not to mention both parents being more wrapped up in their careers than worried about parenting their teenage son. People disliked Jackson at first because he was apparently spoiled and arrogant, and while I agree to some extent, I've still felt like mom was somewhat in the wrong as well.

 

This chapter, she seriously bugged me. I just can't fathom this latest antic. She intercepts Jackson's mail, opens and reads it, and then hides the important and potentially disastrous news from him. Yeah fuck that lady sorry. I mean as a kid my parents were constantly monitoring my activities, and I couldn't even imagine them doing anything like that. Just wow. Not only was it cringeworthy, but basically also illegal. But whatever. Maybe she'll make up for it in whatever halfhearted bullshit justification she imparts upon Jacks next chapter. I just don't see what right she felt she had to do that and moreover what purpose could possibly be served by keeping it hidden from the person it directly affects.

 

Finally, I not sure where Ally's anger could possibly be stemming from other than Jacks commiting the horrible crime of having Luke with him. He really ought to do the right thing for all three of them and end things with her, but Jacks often has a problem doing the right thing.

Heyy! Thanks for reading. :D

 

People like seeing Jackson become a bit more humble. Although at the expense of his world turning a bit upside down for him too. It shows that he 'can' be a worthwhile person to get to know.

 

Shenanigans are very much still a part of him though, he does like to have his fun. Hopefully he's likable now though, after spending the first 10 chapters with having his unlikable moments.. lol. Slow growth. ;)

 

About the Mail incident though - maybe it is just my family, but my mother always opened my mail when I first started getting it. She knew I was accepted to college before I did.. etc.

 

It may also have been a wee bit unclear in the chapter, but his mother knew before the letter even came, what the letter would have in it. Rick and her had received phone calls about Jackson being dropped... so I guess in a way, she was protecting him from opening that letter by himself or whatever.. ill advised maybe.

 

The parents in this story aren't fault free, they aren't perfect. It does seem like Jackson's parents do care more about their lives/professional lives more than they do his.. as they seem to belittle his friendships and such at times... or push him to befriend people he doesn't really want to befriend and so on. So they aren't perfect parents so maybe their imperfections in the past carried over to her holding information over his head - which is bad, I certainly agree. :) But as a parent.. I 'do' want to protect my children.. even from unavoidable upsets it is really gut wrenching to see them disappointed.

 

Anywho! Ally - well Ally is a firecracker.. and they do go BOOM! from time to time.. lol. Y'all will grow to know her a lot better in the coming chapters, I think. :D Also, all the friends.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/15/2016 11:52 PM, skinnydragon said:

Well, certainly not the best day for Jackson, and it looks like it might get a tad worse. ;)

 

However he's beginning to get softer edges and now has Luke at his side. Hmmm.

 

Very nice (I should say interesting) chapter, Krista.

Thanks for reading! :D

 

Definitely not a shining day for Jackson, no.. :( But for the story to go anywhere, something 'had' to happen... or it would become very stagnant very fast. No one was going to put up with a spoiled guy getting his cake on top of his pile of gold.. lol. Humility goes a long way and he's had his tested for sure. :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/15/2016 11:31 PM, Gandalf said:

Read this story last night and am really enjoying it. It's the first story of yours I've read since, "Are you Christian", which I really had liked. Looking forward to where you take these guys. Thanks. Steve.

Heyy! Thanks for all that reading! :D I'm glad that you liked Are You Christian as well!

 

This story is a re-write from a story I started and dumped back when I started AYC, so sort of fitting for you to pick it up. So glad you're liking it so far, Jackson is a character I wanted to attempt writing for a bit. :D

 

If you like these two, "Standing In Shadows," seems to be better liked than AYC was and it is completed as well... if you find yourself waiting with not much on your slate to read. ;)

 

Lol! Sorry about the self-promoting here. :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/15/2016 05:06 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Life's a little crazy, so I can't really write a review right now but... :)

 

Having Jackson end up turning to Luke to help sort out his emotions was wonderful.

Thanks for reading!

 

These little bits are very much appreciated.. :D So no worries! Life can be hectic and crazy, so. :D

 

Luke was there and Jackson didn't slam the door in his face, so that was nice. :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/15/2016 08:02 AM, jkeele777 said:

I'm getting to be terrible at reviewing individual chapters as I read them... I love this story! The characters are very realistic, relatable and believable, and I can't wait for the next chapter!

Hey! Thanks for reading! :D I'm glad you're liking the story so far. I like having very down to earth and believable characters, I try really hard to have them rounded out pretty nicely.. hopefully anyway. lol.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/15/2016 02:09 AM, jaysalmn said:

I feel bad for Jackson losing his scholarship, but I honestly think the fact that everything is no longer just being handed to him on a platter is humbling him and making him a more likeable person. I also like the fact that he's taking Luke's support instead of pushing him away. I always thought I would never like Jackson, but he's slowly breaking down that wall. Just so he continues his becoming a more respectful young man.

Heyy, thanks for reading! :D

 

I also never thought you'd like Jackson! You were my one steadfast non-Jackson supporter. Lol! Hopefully that does show his growth a bit. I'm not going to promise he won't crash and relapse, at least maybe he might deserve to be a bit... ornery, after what has happened to him lately. :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/14/2016 01:54 PM, Graeme said:

Ouch... I had been worried that he would lose his scholarship because of poor performance, but not because of a funding cut. Luke seems to have some ideas for how he can get another scholarship, or at least that was my impression. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the coach's "There's more" isn't something that will drive him over the edge :/

Thanks for reading! :D Yeah, it was always planned that he would lose his scholarship - I tried to be mum about it when we discussed it in the forum topic.. lol. I didn't want to be all spoiler-y. :D

 

I think Luke is being very supportive, but he's just eighteen, so it is out of his hands. We do sometimes need these optimistic people standing beside us.. ready to catch us or push us when we are doubters though.. that's how I see him. :D

 

The "There's more" of course gets explained 'very' 'very' soon. :D :D Hopefully by mid-week next week if I get to writing.. lol.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I second Spikeys comments, and add that Ally will probably get tired of Jackson before Jackson figures out how to do the right thing. In the meantime, I love how you have written and Luke and Jackson into a pair, even as they figure out what that might mean, or how it should happen. You are a master of dry, subtle, steady development. Jackson's emotional response to the bad news is only to be expected. How Luke can help is a mystery to me, too. Wonderful chapter! More soon, please?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/16/2016 11:31 PM, Parker Owens said:

I second Spikeys comments, and add that Ally will probably get tired of Jackson before Jackson figures out how to do the right thing. In the meantime, I love how you have written and Luke and Jackson into a pair, even as they figure out what that might mean, or how it should happen. You are a master of dry, subtle, steady development. Jackson's emotional response to the bad news is only to be expected. How Luke can help is a mystery to me, too. Wonderful chapter! More soon, please?

Thanks for reading!

 

Ally's character is a bit central for a bit, so we'll see how she 'really' is in the next few installments. I think. :D I'm always pleased to hear about my characters.. that is why I write, so I'm so thankful people like them. :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I agree with Spikey; I think Jackson's mom was out of line for opening up his mail. I know you said your mom did that with you, but I've never opened up my kids' mail. When an envelope came from a college, I would wait until they opened it (before I posted it on FB! :D). The only mail I ever open that's not mine is my ex's because for some reason I get a lot of junk mail for him. He's never even LIVED here! lol

 

Anyway, Jackson's mom should have talked to him before giving him the envelope, especially since she knew what was going to be in it. I do feel badly that he lost the scholarship and I believe is anger is warranted at both his mom and the coach.

 

I love the way you're writing how Jack and Luke get closer, Krista! It feels so real. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Aww, poor Jackson. Just when he started to really want it too. A little too late but a valuable lesson I bet.
Great he allowed Luke to be there for him, or was it that Luke didn't let himself be pushed away. The way they are growing and moving toward each other is exciting to watch. It feels so natural and true to life..
I feel for Jackson I'm almost scared to find out what more Coach was talking about.. Ahh, Onward..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/23/2016 01:58 PM, Lisa said:

I agree with Spikey; I think Jackson's mom was out of line for opening up his mail. I know you said your mom did that with you, but I've never opened up my kids' mail. When an envelope came from a college, I would wait until they opened it (before I posted it on FB! :D). The only mail I ever open that's not mine is my ex's because for some reason I get a lot of junk mail for him. He's never even LIVED here! lol

 

Anyway, Jackson's mom should have talked to him before giving him the envelope, especially since she knew what was going to be in it. I do feel badly that he lost the scholarship and I believe is anger is warranted at both his mom and the coach.

 

I love the way you're writing how Jack and Luke get closer, Krista! It feels so real. :)

I see y'all's point. I just never really minded Mom opening my mail as long as I got to see it.. lol. If I found out she was hiding something from me, then I'd be pissed. So that is probably where the anger comes from between Jack and his Mom. If it was something like that, yeah I'd be angry.. lol.

 

I'm glad you like how they are progressing. They are definitely doing so in a slow, sort of round about way... I've not written people so... restrained? Can't think of the word... at getting together. lol. I just try to make my characters and their situations as real feeling as possible. So I'm glad I'm pulling that off. :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/24/2016 04:45 AM, Defiance19 said:

Aww, poor Jackson. Just when he started to really want it too. A little too late but a valuable lesson I bet.

Great he allowed Luke to be there for him, or was it that Luke didn't let himself be pushed away. The way they are growing and moving toward each other is exciting to watch. It feels so natural and true to life..

I feel for Jackson I'm almost scared to find out what more Coach was talking about.. Ahh, Onward..

Thanks for reading! I think it is both of them.. Luke not leaving and Jackson finally admitting, fine I do need to talk to someone and I'd rather it be you.. lol.

 

Jackson's life has definitely took a turn, he could react in several different way and it would make sense to me, but I hope I take him down the most realistic path.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Yeah, I haven't much liked Grace's  momming for a bit now,  but this was pretty irresponsible  about the mail. And wasn't she riding him about something  in the previous episode? That weekend scene at the park  happened after she new? After she'd started hiding this from him? Ugh

Edited by Mattyboy
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Losing the scholarship doesn't mean he loses his university admission or that he can't be on the team, it merely means he needs to find a different way to finance his education. The better DI swim programs have 30-35 swimmers on their roster and there are only 9.9 scholarships allowed by the NCAA. That means there are very few DI college swimmer on full ride scholarships. It is an ego blow, but should not be a major derailment.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, PrivateTim said:

Losing the scholarship doesn't mean he loses his university admission or that he can't be on the team, it merely means he needs to find a different way to finance his education. The better DI swim programs have 30-35 swimmers on their roster and there are only 9.9 scholarships allowed by the NCAA. That means there are very few DI college swimmer on full ride scholarships. It is an ego blow, but should not be a major derailment.

I actually learned about that late. I think most college baseball programs also hand out partial scholarships as well. Jackson's parents make more than enough money to help him finance, and he makes good enough grades to probably receive academic scholarships as well. He did lose his scholarship, but I'm also thinking in this part of the story, the school downsized the program too and he lost his spot on the team as well? I may not be remembering correctly though, even if I have read this story in full a couple times. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..