Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 7,995 Words
  • 3,872 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Best Year - 39. Chapter 39

The next morning I woke up to a buzzing in my pocket. Reaching down I pulled my phone out, it was an alert. Glancing at it, my head pounding as I shied away from the light coming in from the window. Seeing the reminder about, ‘Open House,’ at Tony’s I grimaced throwing the covers off me. Looking around I had to think back to remember why I was sleeping in my parents room. The soft snoring of my father beside me also reminded me. The queen bed wouldn’t have been big enough for all three of us by any stretch of the imagination, but I had slept through the night just fine.

Not wanting to disturb him, knowing he probably hadn’t been in bed that long I tiptoed out of the room. My shoes from the night before were already gone and when I walked down the hallway I saw that Mom put them just inside the door pushed up against the wall and out of the way. My bed was made, which meant that she probably slept in there sometime last night. I never bothered with making my own bed, but she habitually did every morning that Dad wasn’t still in it.

Hearing her talking downstairs and in desperate need of some Advil I rubbed my temples with one hand as I clung to the railing with my other. Cursing the sun and the living room light I saw Mom standing just inside the kitchen with her cell phone to her ear. When her voice rose I stopped just past the bottom stair, she hadn’t heard me coming down the stairs, but I already knew who she was talking to.

“Cindy, I’m talking,” Mom said as I dropped my hand down to my side and relaxed my eyes enough to actually open them fully. “I do not care, Jackson came home upset last night, the most upset I have ever seen him.”

“Mom,” I groaned and when I saw her jump and whirl to see me I closed the distance between us. “Don’t argue with her, it isn’t good for you.”

“No Cindy, you don’t get to ask me what’s good for me, you’re no longer in our lives,” Mom said waving me with her hand. Her cheeks were red and her hair was a mess, she had let it grow and it was halfway down her back. She was still dressed in her night clothes and as I walked past her and into the kitchen knowing I didn’t have much time to spare, I saw she had ingredients out to make my lunch for me to take. Seeing it I started cutting the fully cooked grilled chicken into strips. I placed it in the wheat wrap on top of the lettuce and cheese. Then I squeezed some ranch dressing over it. I didn’t know how Mom wrapped these, but after I finished she sprinkled some more cheese over it and started wrapping it for me with the phone cradled on her shoulder.

“Mom,” I whispered, trying to get her to hang up on Cindy, it would do her some good to hear a dial tone.

“Cindy,” she said as I leaned against the kitchen counter and watched her open the refrigerator door and slide the ranch dressing onto the shelf on the door. She grabbed me a coconut water and opened the cap. She mixed a fruit punch powder in it before she screwed the lid back on. She shook the bottle before she slid it inside my lunch box. I hadn’t been taking lunch much anymore, electing to just eat Mom’s dinner when I got back home from practice. Today was going to be a long day and I smiled knowing she must’ve also put it in her schedule as a reminder. “I understand that Luke scared you last night, but you had no right to upset my son.”

I couldn’t hear what Cindy was saying on her end of the phone, but with my lunch for the day made I closed the insulated lid and zipped it. I needed to get up stairs and shower, I still had both phones in the front pockets of the jeans I wore last night. Reaching down I pulled Luke’s out and seeing it Mom relaxed and gave me a thumbs up, but then pointed to the digital clock on the microwave.

“I’m sorry,” I offered, my voice barely a whisper and she smiled rolling her eyes before she kissed me on the cheek. She smelled of toothpaste and a weak perfume smell from when she sprayed it on herself yesterday. “I’ll see you later.”

I was just around the kitchen corner and about to head up the stairs when someone knocked on the door. Mom glanced over her shoulder, but seeing me she went back to listening to whatever Cindy was saying. I half expected it to be her, but I didn’t hear any voices on the other side of the door as I approached and when I opened it I saw Henry standing at the front door. I glanced back over my shoulder, Mom had put the phone against her chest.

“I’m not here to cause any problems,” Henry said and I turned back around to see him smiling and holding his cap in his hand. His greying red hair was a fly away mess on his head like it usually was. It always made him look so much more human than Cindy.

“Hi,” I offered, not really knowing what else to say. I didn’t know why he was here, he had to know Cindy and Mom were talking on the phone. If we had more neighbors they probably would too, being on the receiving end of Cindy’s rage she didn’t care how loud she got.

“I’m here for Luke’s phone, Jackson,” Henry said and I shot my hand still holding Luke’s phone behind me. It was stupid since he was standing right there watching me, but hearing him asking for it surprised the fuck out of me and my head was still pounding.

“What phone?” I asked, feeling my face getting hot.

“The one you just hid behind your back, son,” he said, his smile widening. “I’ve known about the phone since last Christmas.”

“Oh,” I said, still holding the phone behind my back. I didn’t know why I was still hesitating, Henry had supplied all the proof I needed. He knew about the phone, but I still didn’t want to just hand it over to him.

“Jackson,” he said, his face falling. “I know what Cindy said to you last night, when she shot off the front porch I followed her. I didn't get there in time to spare you and I’m sorry, if it were warmer out I would have just gone barefoot and probably would have made it.”

“Okay,” I said, letting my hand with his phone fall to my side. I didn’t see Henry standing anywhere last night, but all of my focus was on Cindy.

“You matter, Jackson,” he said as he held out his hand. “Cindy and I will have a talk about her actions last night, but I want you to know that you’re a good guy.”

“Thanks,” I said, feeling my face warm and a tightness forming in the back of my throat. I swallowed not wanting to cry in front of Henry Clarke. I hated thinking that I was quickly turning into a softy that spluttered and cried all the fucking time. I didn’t like feeling vulnerable, but I didn’t know how to build walls. I never had to before Luke.

“I am angry, Luke did scare me last night,” he said as I looked down at the phone still in my hand and his hand, still outstretched to receive it. “Luke needs to call when he is going to be late, I don’t care how late that is, but please make sure he calls.”

“Okay,” I said as I offered him the phone. I watched him put it into his coat pocket offering me a small smile.

“And he is grounded,” Henry added as he slid his ball cap back over his head. His ears were pink from the cold, but the cold air had eased my hangover a little bit. “I will try to get that shortened to not include spring break.”

“Good,” I said and I wondered how fucking dumb I sounded with my one word responses, but Henry seemed to take them all in stride.

“I know my wife will not ever apologize to you for last night,” He said, holding out his hand for me. I took it and shook his hand briefly before letting go. “So know that from the bottom of my heart that I am sorry you had to go through that last night, it will not happen again I promise you that.”

“Thank you, Henry,” I said as another damn tear decided to betray me, but after I reached up and wiped it away he stepped just inside my door and wrapped me into a hug. I clung to him before I could stop myself and I didn’t even have liquor to fucking blame for this one.

“This will work out,” he said as he broke the hug. He gave me a pat on the shoulder as he stepped back onto the porch. I just stood there like a dumbass until he gave me a nod and a wave and I watched him set his shoulders as he walked down the stairs and across the yard to the treeline. There he turned and gave me another wave and I watched him and realized in the daylight that I could see him enter his yard. He only disappeared when he reached the front porch. No longer seeing him I closed the door.

“Cindy?” Mom asked and I turned around to see her holding out her phone. Smiling when I saw her shrug and put the phone down on the kitchen counter. “I guess she had to go.”

“I guess so,” I said as I pushed myself off the back of the couch I leaned on and walked into the kitchen. I grabbed a glass and held it under the tap and turned on the faucet. Filling the glass with just enough water to take some Advil I put it down on the counter then reached up where we kept our pills and grabbed the bottle.

“You’re hungover,” Mom said, sighing as she shook her head. “You do know you have a full day today.”

“I know,” I groaned as I popped two Advils into my mouth and took a drink of water to wash them down. “I mean I forgot until my phone told me.”

“Jackson you don’t have to tell me,” Mom said as she placed her hand on the counter. I watched her tap her fingernail against the granite countertops they put in two or so years ago during one of their renovations. “But what did she say to you exactly?”

“If I told you, you’d be doing more than calling her,” I answered smirking when her eyes darted to her phone. “And that’s not good for my two brat siblings.”

“I’m calm enough,” she countered, but I saw the tension and the worry so I only shook my head smiling.

“It’ll roll off my back soon enough,” I offered and I watched her reach out for me, but let her hand drop as I walked past her. I stopped not wanting to just leave her, even though she was about to let me. “Really Mom, I know who I am, she caught me off guard that’s all, it’s fine.”

“It’s not fine,” she said, shaking her head.

“I have you and Dad,” I said holding out my hand and when she grabbed mine with her smaller one she smiled.

“Promise you’ll tell me after these two are born,” she said, giving my hand a squeeze.

“Now Mom,” I said, smirking. “Do I need to have a talk with you about your temper?”

“Go get a shower young man,” she said playfully, pulling her hand out of mine. She scooped up a dish towel and threw it at me as I bounded up the stairs.

In the bathroom I took a quick pee before I stripped out of my clothes. At this pace I was flirting with being late and I knew I had a dress code for today. I wouldn’t be in the pool being a graduating senior. Sighing I turned the hot water on and held my fingers under the spray until the water warmed. Stepping inside I relaxed against the cold tile letting the water wash over me for a couple of minutes trying to forget last night and this morning. At least the long day I was bound to have would be the distraction I needed. Maybe I would get some time in the pool if it wasn’t too late. The last thing I wanted to do is come back to all this despite being in this house and not next door where I knew Luke was having a worse time of things.

After washing my hair and my body I turned the water off and grabbed a towel off the rack. I dried myself a little before stepping out onto the rug. I walked over to the mirror and ran my hand across it to clear the fog off it and looked at myself. I was starting to need a haircut, my hair falling just above my eyebrows. I actually had to fuss over it more than I usually did, but I kind of liked it too. I also needed to shave, the stubble on my face gave me darker features and looking down at my chest and seeing my hair coming back in I sighed. Tony wanted us smooth and freshly shaved, I knew I was pushing it.

Wrapping my towel around my waist I walked across the hall and into my room. I decided on a red polo and a pair of khaki dress pants and hoped this is what Tony wanted. I wasn’t really there when he announced everything, remembering the day I fell apart in the pool and was sent home.

“Toughen up Forrest,” I said as I grabbed my only pair of dressy shoes and slid them on. Glancing at myself in my mirror I pulled on my shirt collar, but smiled when I turned to the side remembering what Luke said about my ass in dress pants.

“You’re going to be late,” Mom yelled from the bottom stairs. I jumped, my face getting warm when I grabbed my swimming bag just in case and bolted from my room. My phone was on the kitchen counter so I darted in there to get it and my lunchbox. After yelling at me from the bottom of the stairs, Mom settled down in the living room and was flipping through channels.

“Love you,” I offered as I grabbed my keys and opened the front door. She looked over her shoulder and smiled.

“Love you,” she said, blowing me a kiss and I closed the door and jogged across the porch and down the stairs to my car. I opened my door and shoved my bag to the back seat then gently tossed my lunchbox into the passenger seat before I slid in. The day had warmed up a lot with the sun coming out from behind clouds and I backed out of the driveway and turned towards town. I turned on the radio and turned it up, the Advil kicking in to ease my head. I was used to hangovers and I wondered how Luke was handling his first one. My first one kept me in bed all day and most of the night. I threw up. But I went all out that night in Troy’s field when I was only fifteen. Mom dropped me off thinking Troy was going to be there and I endured a lecture from her the next morning when she picked me up. Her words seemed to stab themselves inside my head. Shaking my head smiling as I remembered that and the following times I gave my mom hell I wondered how the other two would be. I hoped for my parents sake they learned a bit while they raised my ass.

Arriving at Tony’s I glanced at my phone. I didn’t have any missed calls from him, so I couldn’t be too late. Killing the engine I reached behind me and grabbed my bag then my lunch box. Pulling them out with me I closed the door behind me and pressed the lock down button. Hearing the horn sound as I walked to the front entrance I pulled the door open. The foyer was brightly lit and I could smell food. Smelling food in here was foreign even on days everyone opted to eat lunch, the smell never overwhelmed the chlorine from the pools. I didn’t even think the place had a kitchen, but I never really explored much aside from the video rooms, those unfortunate times I was in Tony’s office, and the pool areas.

People were in the pool though. None of the girls were graduating so they had tryouts to look forward to today. There were ten spots open and I hoped all the girls got their old spots back. Charlie and Matt also had to try out, but they were the only two guys not leaving after this year. Looking down at the guy’s side of the pool I saw Matt, but Charlie wasn’t in the pool. He was sitting on the side stretching out his right leg. Seeing me enter the center he whistled and I shook my head as he stood and jogged around the pool. Neither Tony or Emily were out here, and Jackie was inspecting the diving pool, none of her divers were here either. They were younger than us though.

“I thought Drae looked hot,” he said as he went to slap my shoulder, but I danced away from him. He had been in the pool and I didn’t want to get wet, I doubted Tony would approve.

“Where’s he at?” I asked, glancing around the center not seeing him.

“Tony’s office,” he answered, glancing at the closed door. “Emily and Tony scooped him up as soon as he got in.”

“Is it bad, you think?” I asked, remembering most of my trips to Tony’s office not being good trips to make.

“Not with Drae,” he answered smiling. “You're so hot right now, you know that?”

“Shut the fuck up,” I groaned knowing he was just trying to get under my skin about having to dress up.

“No seriously, I hope Luke got to see you this morning,” he countered, making a move to look at my ass, but I blocked it with my lunch box.

“Go cool yourself off before I drown your sorry ass,” I said, shaking my head as he busted out laughing.

“I think you’re supposed to check in with Tony to get your schedule,” Charlie said, sighing as he looked at the pool and only saw Matt. “I hope there’s some good new blood coming through the doors tonight.”

“Maybe Matt will lighten up a little without Aiden here,” I offered, but we both smirked. I wouldn’t be around to see it as it is.

“What if I don’t make the cut?” He asked and I turned back to him to see him shifting his weight uneasily. Charlie never liked to just sit still, he reminded me of an otter really.

“There’s eight, maybe nine spots for you,” I answered, reaching up and grabbing his shoulder. I gave it a squeeze. “You’re the best fucking swimmer here anyway and you know it.”

“I know,” he said as he puffed out his chest. “Just wanted a little bit of an ego boost.”

“Seriously though,” I said and he let out a breath and nodded.

“Charlie get your ass into the water,” Tony bellowed and we both jumped turning towards the sound of his voice. All three of them had come out of the office. Drae was smiling so I knew it wasn’t a bad meeting. Seeing me he broke from the small group and I waited for him to close the gap. Looking past him Emily gave me a short wave as she started walking around the secondary pool to the main pool where the girls were doing laps. Her hair was curled in tight bouncy curls and she was in heels and a dressy sort of pant suit. Tony was in his usual white polo and warm up pants. He had a clipboard in his hand and was still glaring at Charlie.

“You better go,” I said, turning to look at him.

“Damn,” he groaned, “I wanted to see what they wanted with Drae.”

“Go away brat,” Drae said with a wave of his hand. “I have to take Jack and show him and Aiden what the hell we’re doing today.”

“Is that what the meeting was about?” Charlie asked as he pretended to be looking around for a lost nose clip, even though I saw it tucked into his swimming shorts already.

“No,” he answered, “get lost before I grab you up and toss you into the pool.”

“I’d very much enjoy that my big chocolate daddy,” Charlie said and before Drae could launch himself at him he took off running and cannon balled himself into the pool in the lane next to Matt.

“Ready?” Drae asked as he nodded his head towards the hallway that led to the media room.

“Yeah,” I offered and we started walking together.

“I officially committed, that’s what the meeting was about,” Drae said and I stopped walking after hearing the news. I expected him to stop, but he kept walking only stopped after he realized I had.

“Where did you decide?” I asked and he smirked, closing the gap between us. We were probably supposed to be doing some setting up already, but that shit could wait.
“Pennsylvania,” he answered and he laughed when my mouth fell open.

“Ivy league?” I asked, reaching up and shoving him playfully on the shoulder.

“I want to go to medical school there,” he answered, shrugging like it wasn’t that big of a deal.

“Good god man,” I said, “I don’t know fuck about you.”

“That’s how I like it,” he answered, grabbing my shoulder. “So don’t tell anyone, I’ll tell Charlie right before I leave in the summer, if I tell him now everyone will know.”

“Okay,” I said laughing as we started walking again.

Drae led me to the small studio where Jackie and her divers did some light ballet and gymnastics. I only guessed that helped their diving, but I never knew much about the sport really. There were stacks of wooden chairs that looked brand new and bought just for this occasion. Opening the door I saw Aiden rolling out a floor mat so the chairs and tables that needed to go in here wouldn’t scratch the hardwood. Seeing us he rolled his eyes, but didn’t say anything as he and the Janitor that usually cleans the foyer met us on the other side of the room.

“About time,” Aiden huffed, reaching up to smooth back his wavy hair. He was letting it grow for fuck knows what. He was wearing a navy blue polo and when I glanced at Drae he also was wearing one, so I was beginning to think I fucked up by wearing a red one. Tony hadn’t said anything though. The tables were already in the room, but they were in the far corner on the opposite side of the room.

“We need to get the tables lined up, there’s a box there with table cloths,” Drae said, completely ignoring Aiden’s scowl as he took over.

“I’ll get out of the way,” the older man helping Aiden roll out the mat said as he dipped from the room. The tables looked new as well, but they weren’t heavy when I grabbed hold of one corner expecting to need more than one person to carry them. Instead we each took one by ourselves and put them in a row in the back of the room. With the mirrors on all the walls the room looked bigger than it was.

We kept putting the tables in rows until we ran out and then I followed Drae over to the large cardboard box. He pulled the tabs open, breaking the tape in the process then handed me and Aiden both one before grabbing his own. The tablecloths were white, soft, see through thin material. I walked over and slid mine over the table. It was long and almost reached the floor on all four sides.

When all the tables were covered the chairs were the last thing we had to put in here. Knowing they were stacked just outside the door we quietly fell in line and walked out of the room. The smell of cooking food was getting stronger now and I heard my stomach growl, not really feeling up to any breakfast this morning and not having time anyway, I was getting hungry.

“Can you believe it will be just the three of us serving all these people?” Aiden asked as he grabbed the first stack of chairs. They were made of sturdier wood than the tables and I watched his muscles strain in his arms as he gritted his teeth.

“Yeah,” Drae answered, grabbing the second stack as I moved out of the way so they could get their chairs into the room. Drae looked a lot more relaxed, but even his jaws were clenched so I only took a half stack in myself. Aiden had just placed his stack of chairs just inside the door and was already putting them around tables when I got in there with mine. He smirked seeing my lighter load, but I didn’t care as I went the next row down and sat my chairs down then walked back out of the room to retrieve my other half. After sitting those down I grabbed two at a time and put them around the tables. There were four chairs to one table and we all had to go back outside once more to fill every available spot.

“Do you expect this many people?” I asked as we looked around the room.

“Hell yeah,” Drae answered, crossing his arms over his chest. “We’ve put Tony on the map this year for better or worse. He told me that he personally scouted and invited some people too.”

“Really,” I said as we left the room with Aiden following silently behind us like a shadow.

“It is going to be really different next season,” Drae said, turning to glance at me. “Kinda wish I had an extra year, but I don’t know if I’d make it past today really.”

“Me either,” I answered and we both heard Aiden smirk behind us, but Drae only smirked, rolling his eyes.

“I’m glad I won’t be back,” Aiden said and Drae abruptly stopped in the middle of the hallway. Aiden had to stop walking before he ran into him.

“Tony’s put up with a lot of shit from you and still was able to make a swimmer out of your sorry ass,” Drae growled, turning to face him. “You need to be kissing his ass, not talking shit about him.”

“Yeah whatever,” Aiden countered, dodging past Drae to continue down the hallway. “He made a half-ass swimmer out of his sorry ass, he didn’t do shit for me.”

“Then why’d you stay?” Drae asked speeding up to walk beside him. “When Pete got canned, the door was open for you too, if you had somewhere better to be.”

“Just drop it,” Aiden hissed, balling his hands into fists. I started walking again hoping I didn’t have to break up a fight. It wouldn’t be much of one, I thought. After a punch or two we’d probably be picking up all of Aiden’s teeth and taking him to the hospital. Drae for the most part was a marshmallow though, but still with arms that looked like they could choke out a moose I wouldn’t risk pissing him off.

“Guys,” Tony said and I looked to see him standing at the entrance to the hallway. He had his hands spread and his clipboard still in hand. Seeing him, Aiden and Drae started walking and I fell in step beside them thankful for the interruption even if I thought I was about to see something that would make my year.

When we arrived parents were lining up on the bleachers and boys and girls were filing out of the locker rooms. Scanning the pool I saw Charlie resting on a lane divider sizing up the competition. Some of the girls were sitting on the side with him. Matt was talking with his parents off to the side away from everyone else. His parents were completely overdressed compared to everyone else. Jackie was handing out forms to parents. Seeing us Charlie scrambled out of the pool.

“We’ll have them warm up after they fill out their forms,” Tony said, turning to the three of us. “If any parent or guardian needs to use the restroom you show them to the guest bathrooms in the foyer.”

“Got ya,” Drae said and I nodded my head as Aiden crossed his arms over his chest, but didn’t say anything.

“About two hours in I want someone to go check on the catering staff to make sure they’re about ready to serve,” he continued as he brought up his clipboard. “Help them serve drinks, they’re down a few people today.”

“Tony,” Aiden started, but when Tony glared at him he turned away clenching his jaw muscles.

“I’m sorry it's just the three of you,” He said, offering us a small smile. “Just try not to embarrass yourselves and me tonight with any laziness or bickering.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Drae offered and I chewed on my bottom lip to keep from laughing.

“And if you do, I still own you until the end of the season,” Tony added before he reached up and clapped me firmly on the shoulder. I looked at him to see him already smiling and breaking from us to go greet the parents and start the try outs.

Much like my own tryouts he explained how it would be with him. His diet requirements, sponsorships if parents couldn’t pay the fees. He assured them he accepted payment plans for those that needed them. Looking around a lot of the swimmers were on the younger side, probably incoming high school freshmen. Some of them looked nervous and some of them looked like they were just wanting to get into the pool already. One of those being Charlie as he stood behind the new faces with the girls. Simon wasn’t here, but an older version of Charlie was sitting on the bleachers next to where Charlie stood, so his parents were here at least.

After Tony dismissed the swimmers I watched all of them hit the lanes to do some warming up. Being so many of them, some elected to share lanes and others went over to the secondary pool with Emily. Seeing me she waved her hand and I broke from Drae and Aiden and walked over to where she stood. She had a whistle resting between her boobs, but after a glance I decidedly didn’t want to be caught staring at her. This was the first time I saw her dressed up and wearing make-up. It made her look a little older than she did otherwise, but pretty too.

“Hey,” she greeted and I offered her a smile as I watched the few that chose this pool to warm up.

“Hi,” I offered, turning back to her.

“It’s surreal isn’t it?” She asked, glancing around the center. The water and voices echoed off the stone and concrete. There were so many people in the main pool that it looked like boiling soup. The water was so choppy. “Knowing you’re here watching the people who will take your spots, I mean.”

“It sucks a little bit,” I answered, smirking.

“Seeing you, Drae, and Aiden dressed in polos, I about cried,” she said, reaching over to flick the collar of my shirt. “I’ll need to get used to saying bye to the seniors every year.”

“Yeah,” I said, my face getting warm.

“Scott is here by the way,” she said and not recognizing the name I looked at her.

“Who?” I asked and she shook her head.

“Georgia’s new coach and my boyfriend,” she answered, shaking her head at me when my eyes widened. “At least try to be sneaky about looking for him.”

“Has he said anything else?” I asked, feeling my heart racing. I wanted to turn around and scan the people on the bleachers. He would definitely stand out, the parents were a nervous wreck and in the process of reading over forms while watching their kids in the pool.

“He wants to meet you, I told him to talk to you later,” she answered smiling as she lifted her hand to her whistle. I plugged my ears with my fingers being right next to her, but I still heard the shrill sound. Most of the people in her pool stopped after a few strokes. Hearing that he wanted to meet me, I let my hands fall to my sides and wiped my palms on my pants. I hadn’t met a college coach yet, a few scouts with Rick was as far as I ever got before.

“Alright guys out of the pool, we’ll do this alphabetically,” Tony instructed as he walked down the line. Being lower in the alphabet I saw Matt shuffling back towards his parents knowing he would be in the second grouping.

“Girls over here,” Emily announced waving her hand and I stepped out of the way as the girls all grabbed a towel and fell in a single file line to walk around the pool to join Emily at the secondary pool. There weren’t as many lanes on this one, but it was still regulation size distance wise. Looking down I saw there was a series of lines in the tile and the smooth concrete floor. It looked like measurements. It was probably one of the changes that had to happen for this building to be able to host Districts next year. A second olympic sized pool would be better than a lot of the schools here.

I said a quiet, ‘good luck,’ to all the girls I recognized but patted Tara and Shay on their shoulders. They were last in line, but they had been the two to always call Aiden out on his bullshit and stand up to him. They were the most welcoming of me when I first got here and they both smiled at me despite their nerves of actually having to try out to keep their spots. This was probably the first time in years they had to worry about something like this. There weren’t as many girls trying out as there were guys though. Counting them as they lined up there were twelve so only two girls here wouldn’t be asked back.

On the other side of the pool there were enough to fill the lanes twice and seeing the larger group Charlie and Matt looked more nervous now than they did before warming up. I wanted to walk over to Charlie and try to calm him down a little, but that would mean stepping around Tony and interrupting him so my ass stayed put and listened to Emily explain what she wanted out of the girls. She wanted to see two laps of each stroke and correct turns. Not to worry about speed or racing the girls in the other lanes. Glancing at my phone we were nearing the end of the first hour before one of us went to check on the caterers. I was hoping Drae remembered, because I doubted I would, not knowing a coach who was interested in me sat in the stands.

Emily called off the names of the first five, Tara was in the first group. I watched as she pulled her red hair up and back into her first cap. Then she pulled on her goggles and pulled on a second cap to smooth out the lumps from her hair. She clipped her nose and climbed up on the starting block. The new girls in this group moved a little slower and more carefully than she did and when Emily told them to ready up she waited about a second and blew her whistle. All of the girls launched off the blocks and when their fifteen meters ran out they started their breast strokes. Tara was smoothest in the water and easily picked out on the far lane. Emily glanced at me and I shook my head. Shay and the other girls seemed to relax seeing the first group. Not even really trying, Tara was out pacing them in the water, but she was the most talented of the five veterans as it was.

“I’m gonna go,” I said, not really liking the tension around the pools. I hated to see people fighting for their dreams knowing I was still fighting with my own. I hoped all these kids that didn’t make it here had back up plans.

Going back to stand beside Drae he glanced at his phone for the time. Aiden had left us to go stand next to Matt and Charlie, but I was thankful to be rid of him.

“Anyone stand out to you?” I asked, scanning the pool. Charlie was at least talking to the group waiting alongside him, so he wasn’t feeling as nervous now.

“They’re all babies,” Drae answered, shaking his head. “Tony should’ve kept Charlie, Tara and the girls away from here tonight.”

“And Matt,” I offered, but he smirked.

“No Matt has to suffer,” he said, knocking his body against me. I took a step to the side to keep from falling over.

“It won’t be final tonight, right?” I asked, watching as everyone transitioned into their butterfly. I wasn’t surprised to see some of them struggling in the water with this stroke, I know I struggled with it, but I also knew Emily and Tony were good at ironing out bad form.

“Tuesday,” he answered and I nodded. Monday was a practice day for us and we only had Monday to prepare before the district invitational. Realizing that, I scanned the crowd again, being closer to the bleachers I saw the Georgia ‘G’ on a black polo and knew I was looking at Scott. He had dark hair and a manicured beard. He was younger and I watched him watching the guys in the pool.

“Emily’s boyfriend is here,” I said and when he looked at me I pointed with my head towards the middle of the bleachers. He was really the only person sitting still, all the parents were fidgety. The ones with kids in the pool were worse than the ones that had kids waiting their turns.

“You mean your future coach,” Drae countered, smirking at me.

“Don’t jinx it, ass,” I hissed, knocking my shoulder against his. “You never know, Texas might come knockin’.”

“Keep that dream alive,” Drae said, shaking his head. “If I wasn’t dead set on Penn, I’d bribe the fuck out of whoever I had to.”

“I’d get on my knees, I think,” I said and I laughed when he turned his whole body to look at me.

“Hell no,” he said, shaking his head trying not to smile. “If you want to go over and catch his eye, I’ll cover with the caterers.”

“Nah I’ll go with you,” I said, but when he shoved me forward I kept walking. I didn’t want to fucking go talk to him yet. He’ll be watching me serve water or tea later tonight and I wanted to talk to him after I busted my ass in a pool. Not trying not to trip over my own two feet with a pitcher in my hand. I was careful not to disturb Tony as he paced up and down the pool looking in each lane individually. Having more guys trying out, his instructions were different than Emily’s by the looks of things.

Reaching the bleachers I took a deep steadying breath and at first bypassed Scott completely in the hopes he would recognize me and whistle or something to get my attention. When that didn’t happen I kept walking over to Charlie. As I got there Charlie had his phone in his hand and when he looked up he laughed.

“Drae wants me to call you a pussy for some reason,” Charlie said and I saw Matt glance in our direction.

“Yeah?” I asked, biting my bottom lip. “Tell him I’ll fight him outside.”

“No,” Charlie said, his eyes widening, “don’t do that to your pretty face.”

“Not worried about his pretty face?” I asked as he slid his phone back onto the bleachers. If Tony saw him with it, he’d risk losing it to the bottom of the pool.

“No,” Charlie answered, shrugging. “Why are you a pussy though?”

“Georgia’s coach is here,” I answered, then grabbed Charlie’s shoulder, but it didn’t stop him from looking up and towards the bleachers. We weren’t that far from Scott and I didn’t want him noticing us talking about him.

“Go talk to him,” Charlie whispered and I glanced to see Matt smirking. Being caught looking at us though he looked down at his feet and I wondered if he could be happy here without his brother. A lot of the fire and fuck all seemed to be coming from Aiden anyway. Matt was just a follower and not having anyone to follow I could see him making some other connections here. Maybe I was seeing too much into it too. Either way I still hoped Matt had a spot here if he wanted one.

“How are you guys?” I asked raising my voice to include Matt in the conversation. Some of the new guys looked in our direction, but turned back around just as quickly.

“I’m okay now,” Charlie answered and I glanced at Matt, but he didn’t look like he was about to talk to me.

“Good,” I said and I knew I was stalling, but when the whistle sounded and the swimmers in the pool stopped where they were at, Tony waved them towards the ends of their lanes. Knowing Charlie was in the second group I turned and stepped out of the way and onto the bleachers. Seeing him sitting alone in the changing crowd of parents I made my way over to him. He was looking straight ahead and when I followed his gaze he was looking at Emily and I smiled.

Wiping my clammy hands on my pants again I sat down a few inches away. He must have seen me approaching and when I sat down he turned to look at me.

“Hi, Jackson Forrest,” he greeted, holding out his hand. “I’m Coach Scott Miley, Georgia’s swimming coach.”

“Hey,” I offered, taking his hand and I hoped my heads weren’t sweaty already. After a few shakes he let go and I rested my hand in my lap.

“Emily told me I would be in trouble if I didn’t talk to you this evening,” he said and I looked over to see him smile. His voice was youthful and I wondered how old he was, the beard was full but not greying anywhere. I didn’t know what happened to the old coach or the state of the program either, it was something I knew I should’ve looked at. He was the only one showing interest in me right now though, so I didn’t want to look too far into it yet. I would have heard from someone by now if things were bad, I thought.

“Well at least you won’t be on her shit list,” I answered, then wrinkled my nose, but relaxed when he snickered, shaking his head.

“You looked really good at your last meet,” he said, still fighting a smile. I wondered what exactly Emily told him.

“Thank you, sir,” I said and when his face scrunched a bit I looked over to where Charlie still stood wanting to look at anything else right now.

“You go from shit to sir,” he said and I heard him laugh.

“I’m sorry, I’m nervous,” I said, turning back to him, but Tony blew his whistle and I turned just in time to see Charlie launch off the blocks and hit his underwater stride. He was a blur in the water and it was foreign for me to be sitting in the stands watching. When he surfaced I smiled as the water slid off his back, he was barely disturbing the water despite the choppiness of the pool already. Charlie had form that I was fucking jealous of, it looked effortless for him, even during his breast stroke.

“That Charlie kid,” Scott said, nodding his head to the middle lane. “He’s some kind of talent, right?”

“Yeah,” I answered, turning to face Scott to see him smirking at me. I knew I was fucking up all over the place, but he was also messing with me. So he at least had a sense of humor going for him. “I think he’s pretty set on the west coast though.”

“Aren’t they all?” Scott asked, cocking an eyebrow. “Now tell me why you aren’t trying to impress me.”

“I don’t like talking about myself,” I answered shrugging. “I’d rather show you in the pool, if I have to sell myself face to face I think I’m fucked.”

“There you are,” he said, clapping me on the shoulder. “Em told me you weren’t a bit afraid to speak your mind.”

“What else did she say?” I asked, smiling. For some reason that didn’t sound like much of a compliment.

“That you’d test my patience,” he answered, squinting at the corners of his eyes. “That you’re naturally quick in the water, a fast learner, and she told me you were a dream to coach and that if I didn’t offer you a scholarship soon I’d be one hell of a dumbass.”

“Oh,” I said, looking away from him to search the crowd for Emily. “She said all that.”

“I’m going to officially wait until after Districts,” he said as I turned back to him. “I need to see you in more advanced competitions.”

“That’s fair,” I said, my heart sinking a little, but I hoped I didn’t let on.

“I’ve also not been back on campus to submit an official recruitment package for you,” he said, turning to face me offering his hand again. “Just erase all doubt at Districts and you’ll be expecting a package in the mail.”

“Alright,” I said, taking his hand and shaking it again.

“Emily also said you don’t like opening mail,” he said and I felt my face getting warm as he let go of my hand. “Go cheer on Charlie and maybe try selling the idea of Georgia to him.”

“Thanks for talking with me,” I said and he offered me another smile as I stood and carefully walked down the bleachers until I was free of parents and stepped back on solid concrete. I didn’t have a scholarship, but I couldn’t help thinking I was one step closer to getting one. I just needed to be good enough and I had Districts fast approaching.

Copyright © 2017 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 28
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thanks for a great chapter!!! LOVED seeing Mom stand up to Cindy's arrogant, holier than thou ass! And I think Henry is coming around finally. I could see Jackson testing, but also getting along with, Scott as his coach. I'm hopeful he shows out at districts and earns that scholarship. I'm interested in seeing how Luke feels being hungover for the first time and also how much he pushes Cindzilla further.

Edited by Modified Cub
  • Like 4
Link to comment

I really liked the real-ness of this day at the swim club.   Youth sports these days isn't just that one day when you win the championship, there's those days too when you have to sling chairs and tables out for whatever events been planned.  Nice authentic moment. 

And also with Scott as a recruiter- seems he does like Jackson,  but he does have to be prudent with his offers.  Fun stuff!

 

Edited by Mattyboy
  • Like 3
Link to comment

I can count on one hand the number of times I got drunk in high school. After my first experience drinking, the water polo team's post season beach bonfire my freshman year, I didn't see the attraction. I got sick as a dog and felt like hell the next day so I didn't even try drinking again until my junior year.

I also didn't like the feeling of nor being in control and making an ass of myself. I certainly wouldn't have been drinking leading up to a qualifying meet. I also never had the luxury of sleeping in. My school we had swim or water polo practice twice a day, depending on the season. We had to be in the water by 5:30AM during the school year/school day. Saturday practice we didn't have to be in the water until 7AM.

If Jack can use swimming to get into the University of Georgia, he should take the opportunity, but based on his performance his last meet, the schools that were interested in him still would be. They wouldn't stop recruiting him because he didn't fill out a package. The beauty of swimming vs a sport like basketball is there is no guessing about how good you are. You swim a sub :45 100m freestyle and schools will hound you. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..