Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 9,073 Words
  • 1,906 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Best Year - 47. Chapter 47

“Alright,” I groaned after I hit the wall for the last time during practice with Emily. It was a private practice, she made good on her word to work a decent breaststroke into me. “We’re done, right?”

“For the afternoon,” she answered smiling as she jotted down my time. We did a run through my four hundred individual medley, just to see how it went. Looking at the video replay of the race, it looked like a completely new swimmer jumped into my lane when I turned for home during my breaststroke. I would have found it funny if the entire world, including Scott, hadn't seen it fall apart in the pool in the middle of a race.

“So, you promised to tell me about Scott,” I said as I pulled myself out of the pool and grabbed a towel. Wiping my face dry, I pulled off my cap and goggles.

“Did I?” She said and I could tell by her smile that she was evil and I was a fucking sucker. “I haven’t heard anything.”

“You’re his girlfriend,” I countered, not a bit ashamed that I sounded whiney, I probably did all the other times I asked her too. If I had swept my races I wouldn’t have been worried. Now I didn’t know where I stood exactly. Scott had done his part by texting me and saying that things looked encouraging and not to sweat it. That was a couple of days ago and I had expected something more formal by now, a phone call, a letter, something.

“Just go get ready for your Prom,” she said, as she glanced down at her stopwatch. “Unless you want to work on your technique more.”

“My back couldn’t handle it,” I groaned, bending forward to stretch out my back. When I stood back up she was looking me over, but when I smiled she shook her head. “You’ve been damn near evil all week.”

“Had to,” she said, shrugging as she clapped her hand on the clipboard. “Now get out.”

“Fine,” I said as I stepped around her then around the edge of the pool towards the locker room.

Once inside I sat my towel down on the counter and dug out my phone to see if our pre Prom plans had been changed. The girls had already vetoed what we wanted to do, but changed their own minds over and over again. I wanted to go back to the paint wars, Luke told me that his uncle and his business partners had expanded it and upgraded the maze. Hair and nail appointments and my practice canceled the hell out of those plans though.

I also missed the last and probably most epic Prom party, they had been getting bigger and better. One person trying to outdo the party before it. It was another party at Toby’s field and I hated missing it, but Emily wanted me ready for Regionals and if I had heard from Scott about my scholarship, I would have thought about skipping out on her. Instead, I was too worried and went, but I ended up doing punishment laps anyway for not being focused. Toby and the guys told me all about the party the next afternoon when they finally woke up and got over their hangovers. Connor managed to get drunk off his ass, but I figured Olivia had something to do with that. He now had a more epic video of him streaking around a bonfire than I did when I slid bare assed down the gym floor. I doubted his mother saw that one though.

I hadn’t managed to dodge Emma or Ella either, both cornered me multiple times all week during school. I wanted to hunt down the assholes that broke up with them weeks before Prom, leaving them hanging. They were finalists, which Ally kept reminding me that I was as well. That I hadn’t put up campaign posters or decorated my locker. Eventually the girls took the reins and did it for me, which I figured would’ve happened anyway. It was a surprise meeting Luke at my locker seeing it splattered with neon colored posters and glitter. The handwriting neater than I could ever manage in colors that I never would have chosen. The only thing that made it worse was seeing Cindy glaring at me over Luke’s shoulder.

Tara and Shay showed me pictures of the dresses they picked out, that I hinted around they might need to buy. Tara had a wine red dress with silver rhinestones covering her chest and over her right shoulder. It was skin tight with a ruffled slit up to her upper left thigh. Seeing her modeling it in a picture on her phone, I swallowed, shaking my head. Shay’s was a deep blue with fake pearls stitched into the top part of it in an almost quilted pattern, then it was poofy at the bottom, reaching just past her knees. I hadn’t given them a straightforward answer about coming yet, Luke hadn’t given me one. They hunted me down after every team practice, but all I could get out of Luke was half-ass, ‘I don’t knows,’ which didn’t go over well when I relayed the answer to them.

Later in the week Ally surprised me at lunch with a cardboard box. With a smile playing on her lips as she handed it to me that pissed off Bailey Fucking Ashton, I looked up at her before opening it. At the same time Lily presented Luke with one of his own, slightly smaller. The boxes had the same look, so I knew they came from the same place. Opening it, I saw a shiny white mask that covered my nose, eyes, and forehead. It looked like it formed thorned horns on the top. It had black and red rhinestones in a striped pattern along the white from my temples ending at the edges of both eyes. The horns on either side gave it a sort of devilish look about it, so I know why they picked it. It looked expensive and it felt heavy on my face when I tried it on.

Prom hadn’t touched me, not even when I put the mask on and everyone told me I looked like a badass. It matched my black tux and red vest with black stitching that I rented a couple of weeks ago. Tara, presenting herself in a red dress, told me that Ally and the girls had got their numbers and planned around me, we matched perfectly. I didn’t know what tux Luke picked out until he opened his box and it was a deep navy mask with a pattern that looked like fish scales, with silver outlines along the edges. His mask just covered his eyes and nose and looked a lot more comfortable than mine. When the girls finally talked him into putting it on, I felt a jolt in my stomach. It didn’t help that he slowly turned to look at me, his eyes finding mine and I hated that I saw myself, in twinkling lights or whatever lame ass decorations Welker budgeted for, dancing with him. I wanted it and I liked the way his brown eyes cut through the mask. His blond hair almost glowing against it. I had to remember as I looked away from him that I didn’t want to destroy my entire world and that it could be with something as small as me holding out my hand and waiting for his.

Not wanting to think about what I had coming to me this evening I stripped out of my suit. Naked I put away all of my things then walked over to the showers. Turning on the water, I held my fingertips under the water until it got warm. Stepping into the spray I ran my fingers through my hair then grabbed the small bottle of shampoos that were always here and at the ready. Washing my hair, smelling the cleaning chemicals mixing with the cologne-y smell of the shampoo I sighed. I was more than ready to just go for the pictures and memory’s sake then get the hell out of there. It wasn’t the Prom I had planned, if I was honest with myself I saw me going with Ally, wearing a soft pink and white vest that matched her Prom dress. I would be taking her out on a real date. Alone, so that I could feed her full of compliments and bullshit, whatever it took to have fun after Prom. Then we would all slowly migrate back to Toby’s field for a bonfire, probably getting drunk off our asses and ruining expensive rented tuxes.

That was the Prom I thought I would have deserved, with a crown to top it all. Now I just smirked at the thought of it and how ass backwards everything was. And how much I didn’t want that Prom anymore, at least the date I was taking. I had every intention of ending up drunk off my ass at Toby’s field tonight. If anything, it would be to forget having Luke so close to me, hearing some of the songs I loved, and not being able to touch him.

After my shower I dried off and got dressed in what I wore to school. Leaving my bag there, finally thinking that Matt and Aiden wouldn’t do anything stupid like putting itching powder in it. I walked out of the now empty and dark pool and through the front foyer. Knowing I had a bit of a drive and limited time to get ready, I hauled ass back home, thanking my luck that I didn’t get pulled over.

Seeing cars already parked in the driveway I groaned as I cut the engine, not being able to park where I normally did. It wasn’t Toby’s massive assed black truck, or Derek’s hand-me-down Charger, but Tara’s van and Lily’s sleek assed cherry red Mazda convertible. It was technically her Dad’s, but she had him so wrapped around her fingers that I doubted he’ll be owning it when she leaves for college. It wasn’t a car that she drove a lot, opting for her Mom’s more practical Sedan.

Getting out of my car, I jumped, knocking my head against my car when someone patted me on the shoulder. Someone that I knew didn’t have time to get out of the house and walk down to my car.

“Fucking hell,” I hissed as I reached up and rubbed my head as I turned around to see Luke standing there.

“Sorry,” he said, chewing on his bottom lip.

“Stop being so damn sneaky,” I said as I let my hand fall back to my side as I stepped out of the way and closed the door behind me. “What are you doing here?”

“I was told to come over,” he said as he looked around at the cars. Seeing the Mazda he whistled and I had to admit it was the only car in town that rivaled my Mustang, but I’d never say it out loud.

“They probably want an answer,” I said and I saw him frown as he turned to look back at me.

“I should have told you that I didn’t want to bring a date,” he said, shaking his head before he turned and looked over his shoulder towards his house. “I don’t want to give my parents hope.”

“You can still tell them that,” I said looking towards my house. “I already told them that it was a possibility.”

“I don’t think you should go without a date,” he countered as we both turned and started walking towards the house. “You’re nominated and it would look bad for you to be dateless.”

“Alright, Ally,” I groaned and laughed when he scowled at me.

“Mom is chaperoning,” he said and I nodded, already looking forward to that shit show too. Mom had already warned me after church that Welker had finalized the list. That her covert suggesting to him hadn’t worked to get Cindy taken off the list. It didn’t help that she finally had to come clean about being pregnant. Her stomach was too rounded and the weather too warm for her to keep wearing baggy clothes. She had run out of options other than sweats or hoodies and I never saw Mom in either of those, it would have been more obvious if she showed up to church like that.

“I know,” I said grimacing as we bounded up the stairs together and I smiled when we both stopped and hovered just at the front door.

The only amusing thing about having the church people know, is that Cindy finally knew. That Henry hadn’t been able to fake being surprised enough when plans for a baby shower were made and that he was coming around or calling more. Asking questions that obviously would never have crossed his own mind. I thought maybe it would have bridged the gap between Mom and Cindy again, they had been friends for most of their lives. Dad and Mom didn’t have that many friends and most, if not all of them, were either at their respective jobs or in the church with them. They rarely went out as a group or hosted cookouts, both of them too busy to do much of that. Cindy and Henry had been it for them, sometimes Rick and his wife Carrie, and Troy, since I was friends with their sons. Cindy was the person that Mom watched sappy movies and stupid reality television with. Something completely lost on Dad. If Cindy couldn’t make it, they’d watch and video chat at the same time from computers. It had been annoying whenever I paid enough attention to them, but now when I would come home to find Mom alone, nestled in the couch I felt that maybe she was missing Cindy.

I also didn’t know much about the secret that broke their friendship. Mom hadn’t discussed the miscarriages afterwards, even though in the moment I knew it hurt to have Cindy bringing them up. I couldn’t imagine how much of a miracle baby I was, all bouncing eight pounds of me.
Catching Mom smiling for seemingly no reason or absently running her hand gently over her stomach, I didn't know how many times she did that and then had to grieve weeks later. The twins hadn’t given her too much trouble so far though, so I hoped that nothing happened to them. By the looks of her belly, they were growing like weeds and she would have them to keep her company before long. She hadn’t devoured whole chickens for the past few weeks either and was back to her meticulous and slow eating self. I still heard her sneak down a few times, shushing the microwave, or smell food in the middle of the night when I was up late finishing homework.

“We know you’re out there,” Ally yelled from just beyond the front door.

Sighing I grabbed for the door just as it opened. Ally was standing there in a pair of leggings and a pink button up. Her honey brown hair was a mess of curls and flowers on top of her head. She was smiling and when she stepped out of the way I let Luke walk ahead of me.

“Hi boys,” Mom said as she looked up and over the back of the couch. Lily was sitting next to her and had her phone out holding it between them. When I peered over, I saw that they were looking at Instagram and everyone that was already dressed up and taking pictures for Prom. Shay was sitting in Dad’s chair and Tara was standing awkwardly by the stairs. Every girl looked odd, being completely polished from the neck up and wearing baggy and easy to pull off clothes. Tara and Shay both had garment bags and seeing me they both shot me apologetic looks and I knew that Ally was completely to blame.

“What’s all this?” I asked as I sniffed the air, I smelled food in the kitchen and when I glanced inside I saw a plate waiting for me.

“Well I called Tara earlier this morning,” Ally said and I turned to see her hands on her hips. “To see when she would be up this way so that we could all go out to eat.”

“So that’s the final plan?” I asked, trying to change the subject. Mom was watching on, completely amused by all of this and Lily, despite being my favorite, didn’t look as apologetic as she should have.

“Of course it is,” she answered, rolling her eyes. “Not that you told Tara or Shay any of this.”

“I didn’t know,” I said, turning to look at Tara.

“It’s my fault, I didn’t know what to do,” Luke said and when Ally looked over at him her face softened and her hands fell back to her sides. A look that I didn’t think came easily for her, but she seemed completely over me cheating on her with him now. Even if I thought Bailey Fucking Ashton was a placeholder boyfriend until she left for college. That’s the only way their relationship made any sense to me.

“Really we’re all understanding of the situation here,” Ally said as her voice also softened and I inched my way towards the kitchen. I hadn’t had much of a breakfast even though I knew in a couple of hours, I would be eating again. Emily had worked my ass off in the pool, so I figured I earned it.

“I meant with my parents,” he said and I watched Luke clench and unclench his jaw muscles as he waited for what he said to sink in.

“Honey,” Mom said as she edged herself to the end of the couch and pushed herself up. “Have a great night, don’t worry about things out of your control.”

“I know,” he said, offering me a small smile. “I just don’t want to give them the wrong impression.”

“People go to Prom as friends all the time,” Lily said as she turned to her side, bringing one leg up so that she could look over the back of the couch more easily. “If you want you can all ride with Derek and Me.”

“And besides that, aren’t you wanting them to have the wrong impression right now?” Ally asked and when I shot her a look she returned it.

“Ally,” I groaned, closing my eyes as my stomach growled. “Bring it down like ten notches.”

“You’re going to be Prom King, you need a date,” Ally countered and I opened my eyes to see her tapping her foot. She was barefoot in the living room and I saw soft pink toenail polish, freshly applied.

“We can leave,” Tara said and I turned to see her looking between me and then to Shay, when she nodded I glanced at Ally and saw that her lips were disappearing. I knew that look all too well as I had been on the receiving end of it a number of times back last summer.

“Don’t leave,” Luke said as he glanced over at her. “I’m just being paranoid.”

“Well good,” Ally said, offering him a smile. “I am sorry we ambushed you, but we brought you flowers.”

“Flowers?” I asked and Lily held up two clear plastic boxes. Inside one was a ring of white and red Lilies with smaller flowers woven in to fill out the corsage. In the second one were what looked like white roses and some small purpley blue flowers that I couldn’t name.

“Yes for Tara and Shay,” Lily answered, “we have some matching ones for you too.”

“And these,” Ally said as she grabbed her small pink bag, she smiled. I watched her unzip it and then pull out two black velvet boxes. She handed one to me and the other to Luke.

“What are these?” I asked, but I didn’t wait for an answer as I popped the lid and saw what I thought were earrings at first.

“They’re a bit old fashioned,” Ally said as I took one of them out. It was silver with a rounded top, shiny and black with a bright engraved silver L etched in it. Looking at the other one, I saw a J.

“They’re cufflinks Jackson,” Mom said as she peered over my shoulder.

“Oh,” I said, my face getting red when everyone laughed.

“It’s something that can tie you two together tonight, but it’s not too obvious,” Ally said and I noticed that her voice had raised a pitch higher than normal.

“Thank you, Ally,” Luke said and when I looked over at him he smiled at me as he held one in his hand.

“Well everything seems settled then,” Ally said as she clapped her hands together and danced a little. “I need to go get dressed.”

“Tara, you and Shay are welcome to come get dressed at my house,” Lily said as she also stood and walked around the couch. Having them all here, holding the cufflinks, and seeing the flowers I started to feel overwhelmed by the entire thing. All week I wanted Prom to just come and be over, I knew it wouldn’t be something special.

“Sure that’s fine,” Tara offered as she smiled and walked past me.

“I hope you know what you’re getting yourself into,” I said as she passed by.

“I think I’m starting to,” she said as she readjusted her garment bag.

“We better be shown a good time,” Shay said pointing at the two of us as she joined Tara at the door. “And there better be some cute country boys left over at your school.”

“I already told you,” I said, squaring my shoulders, “you’ve already seen the best my school has to offer.”

“Right, we’ll see,” Shay said and I watched her flip her hair and drag Tara out of the living room. When the door closed I let out a breath and glanced over at Luke.

“Well you survived after all,” Mom said and I turned to see her holding her hand over her stomach smiling at us. “I had my doubts when Ally barged in all ruffled up and looking for you.”

“Girls for you,” I said and when she smiled wider I rolled my eyes and walked into the kitchen to my waiting plate of food.

I didn’t care that it was cold until I bit into it and found out that it was fish. Glancing up at Mom she shrugged knowing that it wasn’t my favorite thing in the world to eat. She had been mixing her cravings into my diet plan the past few weeks, but I had been able to dodge most of the weirder ones.

“The cufflinks were very thoughtful,” Mom said as she held out her hand and I reached over and grabbed the box and handed it to her. I watched her open it and look at them again. “In a pinch you can wear matching letters, if you wanted to.”

“Not to be dumb,” I said as she closed the box, knowing full well I was about to be, she smiled.

“They go in the button slot on the wrist of your dress shirt,” Mom explained, “I mean honestly, Jackson.”

“What?” I asked, feeling my face get warm as Luke laughed. “I’ve never had to wear them.”

“Well your father has a surprise for you,” Mom said as she glanced at the digital clock on the microwave. “He should be home in about thirty minutes, it should give you time to get dressed.”

“I need to get back,” Luke said, offering me a small smile. “I’ll see you later.”

“Come back for pictures,” Mom said, reaching over and patting Luke on the shoulder just before he stepped out of her reach. He smiled at her and I took another bite of food before I started to force it down faster.

After hearing the door open and close Mom leaned against the back of an empty chair and sighed. I looked up to see her looking towards the front door, even if the small dividing wall didn’t allow her to actually see it. Shaking her head she turned back to me and when she saw me looking she smiled.

“This is going to suck,” I said after I took my last bite of food. Talking with my mouth full I saw Mom wrinkle her nose as I stood and walked over to the sink. I rinsed my plate and fork then slid them into the dishwasher. Then I walked back over to the table and downed the lemonade that Mom had out for me. It was slightly watered down, but still cold.

“It won’t all suck,” she said and I smirked hearing her match my language. “You’ll have a great time, just don’t make any grand gestures unless you’re absolutely sure you’re ready.”

“I won’t,” I said, shaking my head. I didn’t want a repeat of Cindzilla storming the innocents like she did back at the beginning of the school year.

“And one good thing about Cindy chaperoning is that she will be stuck there until it is over,” Mom added, winking at me. “So if you and Luke wanted to leave early, you could.”

“Wouldn’t Tara and Shay still being there tip her off?” I asked, raising my eyebrows, but I couldn’t help thinking that with Cindy stuck and everyone we knew being there. The town would be deserted and ours for the taking if we wanted.

“Maybe they’ll leave too,” Mom said and I watched her smile widen and I squinted thinking there was more to what she was saying than she let on. I hadn’t been able to be around them much this week. There was some sort of revival thing or some kind of shit that churches do that kept them busy throughout the week. Cindy had dragged Luke there every evening after school, it was still going on, but Prom put a wrench in that.

“Well okay,” I said as I pushed myself away from the table. “I’m going to go get a shower and get ready.”

“Hurry, a little,” she said and I stopped to look at her. I thought I knew Mom well enough to know if she was hiding something from me, but I didn’t see the pregnancy coming. She definitely had a better poker face than I did. When she waved her hand I turned back around and walked out of the kitchen then bounded up the stairs. I went directly to the bathroom and turned on the shower. Closing the door I stripped out of my school clothes and when they were a pile on the tile floor I stepped into the spray of the water.

Washing my hair with my own shampoo I leaned against the shower wall and wanted to stay there until I could think of a way to get myself and Luke out of all this. If we were going to be alone and with Cindy busy ruining Prom for everyone at school, I didn’t want to go. Mom opened the door to endless possibilities, mostly with me and Luke naked, but I doubted Mom meant that when she suggested it. Feeling my fingers running through my short hair, I kind of missed my longer hair and hoped I could get away with growing it out and having it feel comfortable under my swim caps. It was hard to break a routine, I felt the smallest of things could mess me up so I stuck to the same one since I got serious about swimming.

Grabbing my body wash and a washcloth I squirted some in it and lathered it up. Washing it over my skin and down my stomach. Knowing there was a good possibility that I would be touched by Luke tonight I shaved this morning when I had more time. Feeling the smooth skin when I used my fingers to rinse the soap away I smiled, feeling a little flutter in my stomach every time I let my mind trail off to those thoughts with him.

Feeling clean and smelling more like myself I stepped out of the shower and turned off the water. Grabbing a towel I dried myself off then wrapped it around my waist before I bent down and retrieved my dirty clothes. Tossing them into the hamper at the end of the counter I wiped the fog off the mirror and grabbed my toothbrush and toothpaste and brushed my teeth. Spitting, I rinsed my toothbrush and used my hand to smooth down my hair, not having enough of it left to really style. Then I sprayed my body with cologne and stepped back and looked at myself in the mirror. Satisfied, I turned and opened the bathroom door and walked down the hall to my room.

Opening my door I saw my tux laid out on my bed. Mom had laid it out, well aware that I would be slow or late. Smiling, I closed the door behind me and I grabbed my deodorant and swiped it under my arms and placed it back on my dresser. Then I dropped my towel and grabbed a pair of black underwear and socks. After pulling my black boxer briefs up over my ass I grabbed the pants and pulled them on. Then I grabbed my white dress shirt and pulled it over my shoulders, my arms going through the sleeves. They were a little snug, but the sleeves reached my wrists nicely. Buttoning my shirt from the bottom up I left the top two buttons undone. Seeing my bowtie laying straight out on the bed I wrinkled my nose not really wanting to wear it, but Mom insisted so I pulled the collar of my shirt up and wrapped it around my neck. I had no hope of tying it myself so I just let it hang there as I slipped into the red vest. I didn’t put on the black jacket, instead I folded it and sat down on my bed. Looking down at the lame ass black dress shoes, I pulled them on and tied the laces.

Standing I looked at myself in the mirror again and smiled at how filled out the whole thing looked on me. Turning to my side I looked down at my ass and I was just narcissistic enough to whistle before I grabbed my jacket and draped it over my arm and walked out of my bedroom and back down the stairs.

Seeing me, Mom’s hand flew to her mouth. I didn’t let her go with me to pick it out, her only rule was to be sure I didn’t forget the tie. When she came over and buttoned the last of my buttons and readjusted my shirt collar, I realized the tie was just so that she could fuss over me and tie it. She knew damn well that I didn’t know how to tie these things. I let her fuss over me though, because she smiled through tears and this is what Moms did during Prom. She also already had the cufflinks out of the box and ready for me. Without speaking she held them up and looked at me waiting for me to decide. When I smiled and held out my wrist she smiled and I watched her take one of them and loop it into the sleeve on my wrist. Then I shuffled my jacket around and held out my other hand and watched her do it again. They were small, just small enough that I hoped it wouldn’t catch the eye of too many people. The guys probably already knew that I would be wearing them and I wondered if Luke would have his on when he came back for pictures.

“You look so handsome,” she said as she brushed and smoothed out my vest.

“Come here,” I said as I slid my phone out of my pocket.

“No,” she said, shaking her head as I draped my arm over her shoulder and scooted her into me anyway. I held the phone up and I glanced sideways to see her smoothing out her hair. When she stopped and smiled I took the picture.

“I’m all puffy and red cheeks,” she said, sighing with a smile. “I’ll be right back and if your father comes through that door, do not hassle him over that surprise.”

“Fine,” I said and I watched her walk around me and up the stairs. She had just gotten out of sight when the door opened and Dad walked in. Like always he reached up and put his keys in the bowl that held them. Then he placed his bag that held his laptop and papers on the ground. Seeing me standing awkwardly in the living room he smiled and adjusted his glasses. I didn’t see any hint of a surprise, so I just smiled.

“You look smart,” Dad said and I glanced down at myself and wondered what he meant.

“You missed the cufflink question I had earlier that shot that all to hell,” I said as I watched him close the door behind himself. He was wearing scrubs and smelled of the hospital, not liking the over sanitized and soapy smell I wrinkled my nose.

“I have to be back at it in about an hour,” he said, frowning as he leaned against the couch. “I’m sorry, I wish I could stay with you longer.”

“It’s fine,” I said, shaking my head. I never wanted to pressure Dad into things I knew he wouldn’t have time to take part in. We didn’t get many skilled doctors that could handle a hospital here, so he was in high demand. That was something I learned really early on when I might have actually needed him there for support. It seemed to bother him more than it ever did me.

“I see your mother got you to wear a tie,” he said and I watched him smirk as he started walking again.

“Yeah,” I said as he reached up and gently flicked the side of the bow.

“She wins those battles with me too,” he said as we heard her coming back down the stairs. Turning I saw that she had changed into a light yellow sundress. It ruffled at the bottom and she had let her hair down and she had brushed it smooth behind her head. The dress was back from before she started showing and now she looked enormous, but she was still able to pull off her usual elegance.

“Go change dear,” she said and I watched him dodge her kiss as he walked around us and up the stairs. Turning back around she rolled her eyes.

“Your father is going to drive me crazy,” she said, offering me a smile. “With his fretting and fussing about germs.”

“Alright,” I said, swaying up on my heels and back down, not really knowing what to say about that as we waited awkwardly in the living room. Looking down I saw Mom had her camera and her phone in her hands. My Junior Prom, she was here just long enough to take a few pictures of me and Heather, mostly of me though. Dad wasn’t even here, but texted me later that night when he got a break to tell me that he had delivered the Lattener baby and that I looked handsome. My tux was far less flashy than this one, knowing I was only going just because Heather wanted me to. We had stayed all of twenty minutes before we left for Toby’s field.

When someone knocked on the door Mom walked over and opened it. Seeing Luke followed closely by Henry and Cindy I straightened up. Seeing Cindy, Mom shot me a quick look, but turned and smiled as she held the door open wider.

“Hi,” Luke greeted as he leaned forward and kissed Mom on the cheek. I watched Cindy shoot a glare at the back of his head as he broke the kiss and continued walking. Henry stopped and glanced down at Mom’s belly, smiling.

“Congratulations again, Grace,” he said as he made way for Cindy who was also holding her camera and her phone.

“Your mask,” Luke said as he closed the distance between us. Looking down at his hand I saw that he was carrying his and I swore to myself and turned and bounded up the stairs. I met Dad at the top just about to start down them. He was wearing dress clothes that he would typically wear to church, khakis and a button up. Smiling at me I stopped.

“Cindy is down there,” I whispered, glancing behind me. Nodding his head he patted me on shoulder and I bolted down the hall back to my room. My mask was safely in its box on my dresser and when I flipped open the lid, I slid it out and held it up. There were two clear elastic bands on the back that hooked all the way around. Feeling the weight of it in my hand I wrinkled my nose and wondered just how long people would wear these things after we got there and how wasted the theme was this year.

Hoping the girls would show up soon I turned and flipped my lights off in my room then rushed back down the hallway and down the stairs. Mom had ushered everyone outside and I was thankful for it, I would feel too fucking trapped in the house with Cindy. The door was still open and when I walked towards it I saw Mom hold up her wrist when she saw me and I glanced down at the couch and saw the corsage. Leaning over the couch I grabbed the remaining box and closed the door behind me.

“Luke you look so smart,” Dad said as I approached them and I chewed on my bottom lip when Luke glanced down at himself like I did.

“Let’s take a few of just the boys,” Mom said as she nodded her head and smiled and I glanced at Luke just long enough to see his eyes wide and his mouth slightly open.

“We can wait for their dates,” Cindy said as she crossed her arms. She was standing so close to Henry that I couldn’t see daylight between them. The last time they were all in the front yard together, Mom and Cindy were yelling at one another.

“I want some pictures of just the boys,” Mom added, waving her hand as the breeze blew her long red hair out away from her. When a strand landed on her shoulder she smoothed it back out and held up her camera.

Not wanting to make it obviously awkward I smiled and handed Dad the box that had my corsage and walked up to where Luke stood. Mom looked around the front yard and decided that a large tree in the treeline that separated our houses was the best spot. Ushering us along I stood in front of it and Luke stood beside me. Close to me now, I could smell his cologne, but I didn’t dare glance over at him.

“Smile a little,” Henry Prompted as Mom held her phone up first and when I smiled Mom took a few pictures then grabbed her camera. Luke and I were standing a few inches apart and I wondered what we looked like. Mom would show us the pictures after she finished and when I heard the clicking stop I looked over at Cindy.

“Okay Jackson, put your arm around him, Mom instructed and I heard Luke take a breath. I heard him hold it and I glanced at him as I shuffled closer. As casually as I thought I was being, I reached up and draped my arm around his shoulders. When he exhaled I felt him stiffen then relax. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him smile and when I focused back on Mom I smiled then looked at Cindy who had uncrossed her arms and was looking at her watch and then the driveway, still empty of Tara’s van.

“I’ll need to be heading back out soon, Grace,” Dad said and Mom glanced over her shoulder and then back to us. She took a few more pictures and stepped backwards. Seeing her turn around I took my arm off Luke’s shoulders and stepped away from him. Looking at Cindy that seemed to make her day as she walked up and waved Luke over just as Dad closed the distance between us. Cindy took Luke farther down the yard and found another spot she thought was nice and was taking his picture. I watched as Dad adjusted his shirt collar and smoothed out his shirt.

“Thank you for saving us,” I whispered as Dad put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into him. We were the same height, but he was slimmer than I was, almost lanky and I watched him smile and adjust his glasses.

“Anytime you need,” he said and I smiled as Mom gushed over us for a couple seconds then started taking our pictures. She was crying by the end of it and when Dad held out his hand she wiped her cheeks laughing as she traded places with him.

“Make sure the camera is focused,” Mom instructed as she stood next to me and I put my arm around her. I remembered it being easier to do before she was pregnant, Mom was as petite as she was tall, but now my hand stopped at the side of her belly. Holding my hand there I looked at Dad and smiled and when something felt like it nudged against the bend of my middle finger I jumped and looked down at Mom.

“Did you feel that?” I asked as Mom looked over at me.

“What?” She asked and I watched her look around. “It wasn’t a bee was it?”

“I think one of them moved,” I said as I pointed to her stomach.

“Oh,” she said smiling. “I guess I was too distracted to notice.”

“I got it on camera,” Dad said and I turned to see him smiling down at the camera.

“When did they start moving?” I asked as we settled back down together. This time she hooked her arm with mine.

“They’ve just started being really active,” she answered as I turned towards Dad and smiled as he took a few more pictures.

After he let his hand fall I looked down to see that Henry was taking more pictures of Luke and Cindy. Done with our pictures we watched as Cindy took the camera and Henry stood next to Luke. The difference between them was striking with Henry’s fly away, curly strawberry red hair. It was blowing in the breeze and he was having to smooth it back down.

“Here they are,” Mom said and I looked over to see Tara’s van pulling into the driveway. Hearing it Cindy stopped taking pictures and I saw Dad look down at his watch and then over to Mom, who shook her head.

“I can spare a few more minutes,” Dad said then smiled at me as the girls slid stiffly out of the van. Seeing Tara’s skin tight dress in person I sucked in a breath and watched Shay walk around the front of the van, the softer fabric of her dress flowing out behind her. The navy blue complimented her dark skin and she had braided silver ribbons into some strands of her hair. Tara’s hair was now flowing over one shoulder in bigger, looser curls than what her hair naturally did. Seeing me she smiled, but both of them hesitated at the van.

“Come on girls,” Mom said as she waved her hand. Smiling through lipstick that matched her dress, Tara started walking first. She was holding a small silver bag that matched the top of her dress and when she walked I saw her struggling on the ground in her heels.

“You both look so beautiful,” Henry said as he closed the distance just as fast as Mom was with Dad and I walking behind her to keep up.

“The light looks good out behind us now, Henry or could one of you girls take our picture together?” Mom said as she held up her camera.

“Let the girls take our pictures,” Cindy said and I turned to see her grabbing Henry’s shoulder, turning him mid-stride back around as he was coming to retrieve Mom’s camera and phone.

Mom handed them to Tara who pulled her own bag further up her arm so that she could receive them. Then Mom turned us around until our backs were facing the main road and Tara walked to stand in front of us. Looking around I saw that Shay was also standing in front of Cindy, Luke, and Henry.

“Ready?” Tara asked and I turned to see her smiling as she held the camera ready halfway to her face. Nodding, I settled in between Mom and Dad and smiled as she started taking pictures. I relaxed my mouth, my cheeks feeling strained from all the smiling when she switched from it Mom’s phone. I watched Tara studying it before she held it up to her and when she smiled I smiled again and heard the clicking of the camera.

“Okay I need to be getting changed, Grace,” Dad said as he broke from us.

“Craig,” she said through clenched teeth. “The boy’s surprise.”

“Oh, right,” he said and I watched him smile and instead of walking back to the house or to his car, he instead turned and headed towards the mailbox.

“Honestly, Craig?” Mom asked as she laughed.

“It’s the only place I knew he wouldn’t look,” he said over his shoulder as he crossed the road and flipped down the lip of the mailbox and pulled out a slightly folded large white envelope.

“It just came this morning,” Mom whispered as I swallowed looking at the red and black colors on the front of it as Dad made his way back towards us. I felt myself rise up onto my tiptoes to keep from running towards him, thinking I knew what it was.

“Shay come over and take a few with Luke,” I heard Cindy say and I looked over to see her watching Dad. She half took a step towards us, but when Cindy waved her hand she smiled and turned back as Luke came to stand beside her.

“Oh my god,” Tara said and I jumped not seeing her approach, but then I smelled her strawberry perfume as Dad held out the large envelope. It had a bulldog and a large letter G on the front.

“They wouldn’t tell me I didn’t make it,” I said as I swallowed and felt the weight of it in my hands. “In this big of a package, right?”

“Just open it,” Mom said and I felt her edge herself closer as I flipped it back over and pulled at the sealed tab. When it ripped I ran my finger through it and then pulled out the contents. There was a folded letter, the paper thick and slightly yellow and coarse under my hand. Behind it was a booklet with three smiling people on Georgia’s campus decked out in the school’s merchandise with a large building behind them. It was sunny and people were mingling in the background.

Ignoring the booklet I unfolded the letter, I saw the date in the corner, then my name. I only got to the ‘Congratulations,’ part of the letter before I felt like my legs were going to go out from under me. I felt Tara reach over and squeeze my elbow and when I looked up I saw Dad grinning and Mom smiling at me.

“Congratulations Son,” Dad said as Mom wrapped me into a hug.

“Damn I got in,” I said and Mom and Tara laughed. Mom gently took everything from me, flipping the letter back open and I watched her eyes darting as she read the letter in full.

“They want you to get in touch with Scott and schedule your signing day so that you can officially accept your scholarship,” Mom explained as she gently folded it back and handed it to me. I would read it when I calmed down later, I didn’t want to start crying or yelling.

“Okay, I’ll take the camera and my phone back so that I can get some pictures,” Mom said, turning to Tara. Dad cleared his throat and stepped out of our way.

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow morning,” Dad offered and I smiled at him as he hugged me briefly before stepping back. “Be careful tonight and congratulations again.”

“I will,” I said and I watched him smile and nod before stepping around me.

“Girls, where are your masks?” Mom asked and I heard Tara swear beside me before she tiptoed back towards her van. Not opening the front door she pulled open the side door and pulled out a gold looking mask. Then she leaned further into the van and retrieved Shay’s. When she got closer she grimaced looking down at it.

“I really don’t want to mess up my hair,” she said as Mom handed me my mask. Having short hair I just pulled mine on over my face. Feeling the cool plastic against my skin, I blinked my eyes a few times and wrinkled my nose, trying to feel comfortable in it.

“I’ll help you, Tara,” Mom said as she held out her hand. Looking at the mask, it had roses engraved on either side of her eyes, the stems trailing down to a slight curve. It just covered her eyes, forehead, and nose. I watched as Mom gently held Tara’s hair as she looped the elastic band around it and then tucked it behind her head. Then Mom carefully slid it over her face, when it was there she let Tara adjust it. Seeing her in the mask I smiled, feeling the mask rise slightly when my cheek muscles did.

“Okay Luke, put your mask on and stand with your date,” Cindy said and when I looked over I saw smiling and glancing between them and Henry. I watched Luke stand beside her as Shay slid on her mask then smoothed out her hair.

“We’re ready,” he said as he stepped a half step closer to her.

“Act like you want to be here with her, she is your date,” Cindy said and I watched her flick her hand towards them before she held up her camera. Shay being Shay grabbed Luke’s hand and placed it on her lower back. I smiled when he glanced over at her as I heard the click of Cindy’s camera taking a picture. Then he looked forward as Shay started smiling and kept hold of his hand, which I thought was too close to the top of her ass, but Cindy didn’t seem to notice. I did notice the black cufflink on his wrist though and smiled.

“Okay, just a few more and I’ll let you guys get on down the road,” Mom said and I turned to see her waiting, my envelope under her arm as she held the camera. She never looked more like a Mom than right now and when Tara hooked her arm around my waist and leaned into me, I smiled easily and Mom started taking our pictures. After a few she stepped up and helped Tara back out of her mask and gently placed her hair back over her shoulder.

“That’s better,” Tara said as I reached up and pulled off my mask. I took Tara’s from her and walked over and put them both on the hood of Tara’s van then returned to her. Cindy was done taking pictures of Luke and Shay and they were all watching us. Smiling, Mom took what I hoped were the last of the pictures and when she dropped her hand I relaxed.

“Okay I’m done,” Mom said, shaking her head as she fought back tears again. “You are all beautiful, be sure to take a lot more when you get there.”

“We will, I promise,” Tara said and I looked over to see Cindy talking to Shay as Luke stood awkwardly beside Henry.

“And take some of just the four of you,” Mom said, waving her finger at us. “Be a gentleman young man.”

“I never am,” I said smirking when she reached up and slapped my elbow.

“And remember,” Mom said, nodding her head slightly towards Cindy as Luke and Shay joined us. I nodded and smiled when she quickly kissed me on the cheek, something that I would never have allowed in front of my date last year, even if it was just Heather. I watched her pat Luke on the shoulder and then when she stepped back we all turned and headed towards the van.

“Could you drive, Jackson?” Tara asked, leaning closer to me. “It is a bitch to drive in this thing.”

“Alright,” I said smiling as she handed me the keys.

“And you know where Derek lives anyway, Lily tried to tell me, but I suck with directions,” she said and I nodded and watched as she walked around the front of the van just as Luke climbed into the van.

“Luke help your date into the vehicle,” Cindy yelled and I heard both Luke and Shay sigh as he climbed back out and held out his hand. Shay took it with a grin and crawled awkwardly into the van and then Luke helped her smooth her dress out of the way before he climbed in after her. Me not helping Tara probably gave Cindy some kind of thrill as I retrieved our masks and slid into the driver’s seat closing the door behind me. When everyone was settled in and all the doors were closed I started the engine ready to really get Prom night started off the right way.

Copyright © 2017 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 25
  • Haha 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Leave it to Jacksons mom to orchestrate having the boys picture taken together with arms around them.  They now have a picture of him with his real date for Prom.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 3/16/2023 at 10:05 PM, Krista said:

 

Gooooo DAWGS! :D :D :D

It may not be the most realistic college for him to get into, last minute and with little notoriety, but this is fiction and I'll run with it if y'all let me. :) 

Works for me,  Georgia.  Sure,  it's a big school with a big team,  but new-coach-needs-some-bodies happens all the time.  And Jackson seems like he's pretty good at this swimming stuff,  if in a raw-but-can-grow-way.

 

And for the story it works  great, that it's not impossible,   but it's something good and nice, rather more so than that Cindy can get away with sneering at it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Krista said:

Yes, she did. But was it also a passive aggressive dig at Cindy, having them do that right in front of her? lol... nah Grace wouldn't do that. It is funny that @wildone and I were discussing the parents last night. And, I was discussing scenarios that I would cover if I were to do a prequel with those characters. Craig, Grace, Cindy, Henry, Derek and Carrie Tate, Troy Marks, Troy's estranged wife - I named her, but I can't remember it now, Steven Welker... and some of the issues I would like to bring up, that were never discussed in the current fiction presented with Jackson's story. 

And a certain scenario that I put forward that I thought about, didn't really put Craig and Grace, that involved Cindy, and to a certain extent Henry, in the best light. And, let me tell you, Steven in very little words said.. "No, you absolutely can't do that, Craig and Henry are blameless..." and I went on to ask, "What has Grace done?" And he unloaded a laundry list, albeit way shorter than Cindy's, I'd imagine. But they were things that I didn't even think about with her... like her hiding the fact she got Luke that certain X-Mas gift, without telling anyone. Etc. 

So I got to thinking, well maybe Grace would be a bit of a sneaky sort of person that looks innocent on the outside of it all. Where as Cindy is full blown Cindzilla. 

But you know, Craig and Henry must be protected, they're doing the world's work. :P 

 

You've rightly identified that even fictional stories must be bound in believability on some level within the confines of the universe you have created.  Given that Jacksons mom and dad both knew that the boys were gay and a couple in every real sense of the word, and that they have worked tirelessly to help them be together, in a real universe similar moms and dads would know how important it would be to have pictures of those moments for memories that they could look back on later in life. 

Strangely, I myself never attended a single graduation ceremony or prom during my entire education; the reason being my dad only had his holidays during specific weeks  so I was always taken out of school for the last week or two and we went on family vacations instead.  It never occurred to me at the time that i missed anything important, and quite frankly being a gay kid who was tortured and harassed daily at school, I had zero interest or affection for any of the students or teachers, so it was no loss felt by me.   Besides,  diploma's can be mailed.  But that's not the universe this story is set in.

Edited by Fry
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

I am in Jack's camp, prom is a hassle. I think it is girls who get excited about prom; they get to get new shoes, a new dress, get their hair all done up....  guys just rent a tux and spend lots of money on dinner and a limo.

I went to pretty much every function in high school, Junior and Senior Prom, Homecoming, Sadie Hawkins, various sock hops and always had a good time. I liked high school, but I was ready for the next step when it was over.

It is nice that Luke and Jackson got pictures together. Whether or not they last a couple, I hope they have forever happy memories of each other and the time they had together.

The actual dance should be interesting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, PrivateTim said:

I am in Jack's camp, prom is a hassle. I think it is girls who get excited about prom; they get to get new shoes, a new dress, get their hair all done up....  guys just rent a tux and spend lots of money on dinner and a limo.

I went to pretty much every function in high school, Junior and Senior Prom, Homecoming, Sadie Hawkins, various sock hops and always had a good time. I liked high school, but I was ready for the next step when it was over.

It is nice that Luke and Jackson got pictures together. Whether or not they last a couple, I hope they have forever happy memories of each other and the time they had together.

The actual dance should be interesting.

I must admit I went full on indulgence with these chapters. Almost unapologetically so, but as I entered the third chapter... I want to say?? I started to think... maybe I went overboard a little bit.  Either way, I had fun writing Prom. And yes, I feel most proms are formalities to whatever happens afterwards. It is a fun couple of hours, but a true lead up to longer lasting fun. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..