Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 8,379 Words
  • 2,102 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Best Year - 48. Chapter 48

After we arrived at Rick’s, the first thing I saw was the silvery white Limo with Derek leaning against it. When he saw us pulling into the driveway he pointed to it and I rolled my eyes when he posed with Lily shaking her head at his side. Toby had one of the back windows rolled down and was half hanging out of it with his solid black mask already on. The only downer was Bailey Fucking Ashton standing in a pink vest holding his jacket with Ally standing next to him looking perfect.

“Wow,” Tara said as she parked out of the way of the waiting limo.

“Damn,” I said and as soon as the engine died I opened the door and slid out of the van. As nice as Tara’s van was, it was still a van and I didn’t want to ride up to prom in it.

“Hey guys,” Derek greeted as I slid my mask further up my arm so that I wouldn’t forget it. We had given the girl’s their corsages on the way over, not making a big fuss out of it. I did have to slow down and wrap it around Tara’s wrist. Jerking the wheel when we swerved too far towards the ditch. After I was finished and with both girls laughing, I looked through the rearview mirror to see Luke scowling at me.

“How the hell did you manage this?” I asked as I ran my hand over the roof of the Limo. The Driver leaned against the driver’s side ignoring everyone, not even turning to look at us.

“Dad surprised us with it,” Derek answered as he patted the roof himself.

“Hey y’all,” Carrie Tate said as the screen door to their farm style house opened and closed. She had a camera in her hand and for all the crankiness Rick had, Carrie made up for it with smiles and warmth. “Can I get a massive group picture of all of you?”

“Sure,” I said as Tara, Shay, and Luke came to stand beside me.

“Just in front of the house,” she said as she waved us out into the front lawn. Seeing the grass all the girls moaned, but did what Carrie said and when we were all lined up Rick came out wearing a tux. He would be a chaperone tonight, being a teacher and coach at the school.

“Take two, Carrie,” Lily said as she stood on my other side, sandwiched between me and Derek. She came up to my chest and Derek’s shoulder. She had a flowy blue dress with silver flicks woven through the dress that dragged and spread out on the ground when she walked. She was holding it up as she made her way into the lawn and I wondered how she was going to dance in it. Heather was wearing a peach colored strapless dress that was backless. The bottom fell to her upper thigh with ruffles that went past her knees.

“How the hell are you keeping that up?” I asked leaning around Tara to look at her.

“A lot of tape and a prayer,” she answered winking at me.

“Okay, that’s everyone,” Carrie said as she stood in front of us. She had to take a few steps back as she focused with her camera. “Smile.”

After a few flashes we all slid on our masks. Heather and Ally had to help Tara put her mask back on, but when they fell back in line Carrie took a few more.

“Send those to us whenever you can,” Lily said as the line broke up.

When we all got back to the paved driveway, I watched the girls look over their heels and the bottoms of their dresses. Then I watched Heather and Lily helping with Tara’s mask, she was becoming increasingly annoyed with it that I wondered if she would ever put it back on. I didn’t plan on wearing mine much, the few moments I had it on, it felt hot and sticky against my skin.

“Hey guys,” I said, getting everyone’s attention after Carrie went back up onto the porch to talk to Rick. “I got my ass into Georgia.”

“What the fuck!” Toby said as the guys rushed me. Derek picked me up off the ground as Toby clapped me hard on the back.

“Language!” Carrie yelled from the front porch, but her voice never really packed a punch.

“Congratulations,” Ally said after Derek put me down and I took a few breaths after not being able to breathe.

“Yeah, nice,” Bailey added as he walked up to stand as close to her as he could without actually touching her.

“You’re going to get us tickets to football games or else,” Derek said as he grabbed my shoulder.

“Yeah, if you want to keep your balls, we expect to be there when they play Bama,” Toby said and I laughed as I reached up and tried to mess up Derek’s stupidly styled hair. It wasn’t something he would have done himself, this had Lily all over it.

“Watch it, that took an hour,” Lily said as she swatted at my hand. “We better go if we’re going to eat.”

“And you’re pretty much going to be king after tonight too,” Heather said, rolling her eyes. “There won’t be any living with you all summer.”

“Damn right,” I said as the driver finally moved from his position. Hearing us talking about leaving he walked around and opened both back doors. The windows were tinted, but with the doors open the lights came on. Luke was the closest one to the limo, a smirk playing on his lips seeing me being manhandled by my two best friends.

“Your vest is wrinkled,” Ally said as she walked by me and I looked down and smoothed it out. Not having my jacket, I went over to the van and retrieved it then joined everyone else.

“Did we hear you got into Georgia?” Carrie asked and before I knew it she wrapped me into a hug and kissed my cheek. “Congratulations.”

“I knew you had it,” Rick said as he grabbed my shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

“Thanks,” I said looking at them both. Not having a lot of family, Toby’s Dad and them always felt like aunts and uncles to me and when Carrie wiped her cheek I smiled.

“Let’s get going,” Derek said, hanging out the other side of the limo.

“You be careful and don’t be a dumbass,” Rick said, pointing his finger at Derek then turning to the rest of us. “You all heard me.”

“Yes sir,” Toby said leaning just into view of the open door. “We’ll make one good run at it.”

“And don’t damage that limo or your asses will be working all summer,” Rick added as I walked over and slid into the open seat. Rick helped the driver by closing my door as he closed the other one. Inside, the black leather seats were nice, with all of us in here it was feeling tight and stuffy. Everyone had coupled up and had made room for me to be seated next to Luke. It left Shay and Tara sitting next to one another, but they were currently getting asked stupid questions by Toby and Derek and didn’t seem to mind.

“Did I see you getting jealous in the ride over?” I asked leaning into him so I could whisper.

“No,” he answered, shaking his head. When I smiled he looked at me, chewing on his bottom lip to keep from smiling back. “Maybe a little.”

“I find it hot,” I said and I watched his eyes widen as he looked around. I grunted when I felt his elbow slam into my side.

“Shut up,” he groaned, turning back to me.

“No,” I said laughing.

The driver didn’t ask us where we were going, so it was obvious one of the girls told him our plans and he knew the directions. He did turn on music, but kept it low so that we could talk. He also turned on the air conditioning, which made the cramped space a lot better. Aside from the mixing of colognes and perfumes that were a bit intoxicating and I felt a headache coming on. Lily didn’t look like she was enjoying having her back to the front of the car, but the guys were also jostling her as she sat on that side. Looking around she was the only girl on our side.

The movement of the curves felt exaggerated in the back too and being on curvy assed roads heading into town the ride wasn’t the smoothest. Nothing was going to ruin the night though, I was finally feeling some of what I should be during my senior prom.

“So Olivia sent me a picture of her and Connor,” Luke said and I watched him dig his phone out of his pocket. When he scrolled to the picture I whistled.

“It looks like a wedding dress,” I said and he snorted and nodded.

“She wanted it to,” he said, shaking his head. “Mom called her parents and told them she was planning on going to prom with Connor.”

The only difference was that the dress looked altered. The stomach was cut out exposing her belly, and it had a slit up the side that went farther up than Tara’s. I expected to see panties when she stuck out her leg, but didn't, which seemed more unnerving than it should have.

“Her Mom let her buy it?” I asked and Luke smirked.

“She let her buy it, but it didn’t look like that,” he said, rolling his eyes. “If Connor wasn’t Connor.”

“Yeah Connor,” I said, nodding my head. “And she still has to walk in and face your mother.”

“Which is the only reason she’s done what she did,” Luke said, sighing. “I know she likes to cause trouble, but I think some of it is to distract them from me.”

“Well let her do what she wants,” I countered, “she’s going to anyway.”

“We’re here,” Ally said just as the limo took a sudden sharp turn.

“I have to let you guys out at the door, send me a text as you’re leaving,” the driver said through the intercom system. He left the limo running, but we heard him get out. Not wanting to waste time I reached over and opened my own door and slid out knowing there were a lot of us. Breathing fresh air helped my head and when I looked up and saw the only nice place to eat in town, I smiled. It wasn’t a chain place, a little private owned diner that served homestyle cooking. Looking around at the decorated cars we weren’t the only ones that picked this place. There was also another limo parked that took up four parking spaces in the far corner. It was angled just enough to be able to pull out of the spot.

“We have reservations,” Lily said, “if we haven’t missed our window.”

“We better get in there,” Ally said and I looked around at the waning sunlight and knew that we were getting into the heart of the evening. Smiling over at Luke he rejoined Shay and Tara walked with me, all of our masks back in the limo.

“I have my own money if you want to buy his,” Tara whispered as she grabbed my elbow. I allowed her to loop her arm in mine and smiled.

“I can buy both,” I said, shaking my head. “Are you having fun?”

“Your friends are funny,” she said pointing her finger at the backs of Toby and Derek.

“You mean they’re dumbasses,” I countered and when she laughed I smiled.

“They’re nice,” she said, shrugging. “They invited us to a field party.”

“You don’t have to go, but we’ll all end up in Toby’s field later,” I said, already looking forward to it.

“Really?” She asked and I saw her glance at me and then to her phone. Her tone had changed slightly. I had expected her to sound interested, but instead she sounded confused. When I looked at her she smiled.

“What?” I asked and when she shrugged and pulled me gently forward so that we caught up with everyone else I thought I had missed something.

“We can’t go to a party,” She said as we entered the restaurant and the smell of baked rolls and fried chicken met us. I groaned just as my stomach did.

“Curfew?” I asked as we followed everyone to our table in the back. There were a lot of other students here, mostly coupled up in booths by themselves, but there was also another large group in the back where we were seated.

“No, god no,” she said smiling. “We have the pool scheduled tomorrow.”

“Oh,” I said, rolling my eyes. “You’re already the best swimmer I’ve seen.”

“You’re a bit blind,” she countered, “but thank you.”

Everyone seated themselves around a square table that had chairs on one side and a long leather bench on the other. We had two waiters standing and waiting for us and when I pulled out my chair and sat beside Luke he offered me a sideways smile. The place was warm and loud with everyone in here. It was the busiest I’ve ever seen it, even the owner, a middle-aged gray haired woman, was out on the floor. Seeing us she gushed and walked over to our table.

“I just love seeing all you young people dressed up,” she said as she passed our table and went to the other large group. I heard her say the same thing to them as the waiters at our table started taking our drink orders. They were young, probably juniors or sophomores from school that weren’t going to prom.

When our drink orders were in I looked at the menu already knowing that I was getting some form of fried chicken, I saw chicken tenders and fries and closed the menu. Every girl, almost predictably, was already talking about ordering salads.

“Do you think our fakes will work?” Derek asked and I saw Lily roll her eyes.

“The owner literally goes to our church,” Lily countered, “put it away.”

“Fine,” he said smiling at her as he slid his fake driver’s license in behind his real one.

“There are some cute guys that go to your school,” Shay said leaning slightly forward so she could see past Luke. “You lied to us.”

“No I said I was the best looking one,” I countered and laughed when Toby and Derek shot me looks and I shrugged.

“If you want we can introduce you to some nice guys,” Ally said smiling. “Emma Camp’s date’s name is…”

“Ally,” I said, shaking my head.

“What?” She said smiling. “You know it is a pity date situation.”

“Is her date cute?” Shay asked and I sighed when Ally scanned the room looking for them. I did too, but not seeing them at any of the tables we could actually see I turned back and smiled at Luke.

“I wouldn’t say you were the best looking guy at school,” Luke whispered and smiled when I scowled at him.

“Who the hell beats my ass then?” I asked, leaning back in my seat. “Get a good look, you obviously need a reminder.”

“Calm down,” he said, cocking an eyebrow, but leaned closer to me. “Maybe I need to see your glorious butt again.”

“Don’t,” I groaned, glancing around the table. “Don’t.”

“I don’t know,” he said, shrugging his shoulders.

“Alright, have it your way,” I said and scooted my chair out. I was about to stand up when his knee shot against mine.

“Here are your drinks,” the lead waitress said and I looked up to see her carrying a tray followed by our other waitress with a second one. Since I was sitting closest to one of them I helped them pass around our drinks so they didn’t have to walk all the way around the table.

“Are you all ready to order?” She asked as she slid the tray under her arm and pulled out a notepad.

“I want the tenders with fries,” I ordered, smiling up at her. “With the gravy dipping sauce.”

“Okay,” she said with a smile and Luke ordered a grilled cheese sandwich. All of the girls settled on various salads. Toby ordered a burger and Derek ordered chopped up steak tips. When they were confident they had all of our orders correct, both of them walked back out of the back section of the restaurant.

“Now,” I said, turning back to Luke. “Have you changed your mind?”

“I don’t know,” He said, cocking an eyebrow. “I don’t know if you would do it or not, but I’m too scared that you will.”

“Then say it,” I said, my chair still scooted out and away from the table. “Now.”

“Does it really count if I say it to keep you from doing it?” He asked and when I made to stand his hand shot out and pulled me back down.

“What are you doing?” Toby asked and when everyone turned to look at us Luke let go of my wrist and I scooted back towards the table.

“Nothing,” I answered as Luke’s knee slid back against mine. “Yet.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Ally asked and I saw that she had ignored Bailey Fucking Ashton saying something stupid to ask me. Smiling, I shrugged my shoulders.

“Don’t get us thrown out of here or prom,” Lily said pointing her finger at me. “Not until someone is crowned at least.”

“Alright,” I said, glancing at Luke. His cheeks were flushed and I smirked as I settled into my seat.

“Do I even want to know?” Tara asked and both Luke and I shook our heads. “You probably don’t want to know what Charlie has been saying either.”

“Oh,” I said, turning to look at Luke. “At least I know someone with good taste.”

“He really wants to jump all over Toby,” she whispered and I watched Luke’s smirk erupt into a laugh as I turned to look at her. “Those aren’t his words exactly, but you know him.”

“That’s only because Charlie has the attention span of a goldfish,” I countered and when she laughed I turned back to Luke who was smiling and shaking his head.

“True,” Tara said smiling as she sent Charlie another text, probably tattling on me, but I didn’t care. It will make practice interesting when we are all in the pool together again.

“You will get paid back for all this,” I said, glancing at Luke as I slid my water closer to me. I grabbed my straw from my silverware bundle and hit it against the table to break the paper seal then pulled it out and shoved it into my drink. Taking a few sips of my water with Luke’s foot rubbing against mine I smiled and hoped I could come up with something good.

The food finally came around with the owner coming to check up on us. She took our picture and left us in peace to eat. The food ended most of the conversations after Lily reminded us that we only had about twenty minutes before prom officially started and the doors would be open for us to enter the gym and see everything. My stomach thoroughly enjoyed the breaded chicken and fries and when I finished my last bite I leaned back and smiled. The girls had only half eaten their salads, but all the guys had cleaned their plates.

After I paid for Tara’s meal after Luke shook his head and paid for his and Shay’s food I left the waitresses a tip and paid for mine. Then we all shuffled out and looking around we were some of the last ones left eating that looked dressed up for prom. Not seeing Olivia or Connor by now was a bit surprising, but they hadn’t been here for any of our plans yet. Knowing Olivia she had her own plans and Connor would follow them.

The limo pulled up at the door waiting for us and we shuffled inside, not really caring who was sitting next to who since we were holding up traffic. It was a short ride over from town to the high school and when we were in the parking lot, we fell in line behind what looked like two fire trucks, a number of freshly washed and detailed cars, and another limo. Parents were flooding the parking lot, taking last second pictures. Chaperones were holding a firm line between them so that traffic was flowing at a decent pace.

The day itself had been calm and sunny. With the window down I leaned out the door and looked up. The first stars were just visible with the setting sun, it was still warm with Spring fully underway now.

When it was finally our turn our driver stopped and I rolled up my window. Unlike all the times before I waited for our door to be open so that we could slide out in style. Smiling, I stepped out as the driver went back to the front of the limo and I held my hand out. I helped Tara and then Shay out of the limo as everyone else opted to get out on the other side closer to the entrance. Then lastly Luke crawled out and closed the door behind him. I looked up to see Ally talking to the limo driver and when he nodded and slid back inside the driver’s seat we walked around the back and joined them.

“Masks on,” Heather said as we huddled around the entrance into the front foyer. They rolled out a red carpet for us that looked more faded to a pink than red. There were attempts to keep it cleaned, but the school definitely hadn’t sprung for a new one for years. Parents were pressing against the ropes and chaperones, leaning to get pictures. Turning I helped Tara slide her mask on and with one fleeting eye roll we were able to get it up and around her hair and back to her face. Offering me a small smile I held out my hand and she took it as I slid my mask on with my other hand. I had made sure to pre-pay for our tickets through Ally and when we were checked off the list and handed our Royalty voting card I looked around. Seeing Connor’s name, with Tara hovering over my shoulder to see who I was voting for, I checked his name and then Lily’s. Folding the paper with her looking at me I slid it into the slot.

“Don’t tell anyone,” I whispered as we fell in line behind everyone else waiting to enter the gym. We were standing behind Derek and Lily and I had to keep looking down to make sure I wasn’t about to stand on her dress.

“Why didn’t you vote for yourself?” She asked as we shuffled forward. The media club were taking pictures of everyone who entered and now that we were closer to the open doors, we saw an arch for us to stand under.

“I don’t know,” I answered shrugging as she gripped my arm tighter.

“This school is half the size of mine,” she said as she looked around. “It’s cute, but I’m nervous.”

“Don’t be,” I said, turning to look at her. “You’re already with the coolest crowd here in my humble opinion.”

“You’re humble?” She asked snickering as she shook her head.

“I mean that’s how people describe me,” I said, shrugging as I looked ahead to see Lily lean into Derek. He slid his arm to her lower back and gently pulled her even closer to him. Watching them I felt the sting of knowing that somewhere a few people ahead of them Luke had already taken his picture without me. They were too far away for me to see how they posed, I suspected Shay took the lead, she seemed like the type the more I got to know her. After the picture Derek playfully picked her up and into his arms and with a yelp she smiled and waved back at us as they disappeared onto the dance floor.

“How do you want to do this?” She asked as we hesitated just before the arch for pictures.

“I don’t know,” I answered and when she unlooped her arm with mine and held out her hand I took it.

“Come on,” she said smiling and when she gave my hand a gentle tug I walked into the gym and under the arch. She grabbed my hand with both of hers and smiled. The first picture I was turned looking at her, being surprised by her sudden forwardness. The second one I turned towards the camera and smiled.

“Take one without your masks,” the photographer said and I reached up and pulled mine off, then helped Tara slide her’s off. When they were at our sides Tara leaned into me and we both smiled as our picture was taken. He motioned us on as he glanced down at the pictures and we stepped out of the arch and into the gym.

The juniors always decorated the gym for prom, with the masquerade theme, there were a lot of maroon and black. Fake vases held even faker flowers on pedestals. The tables for us to sit at were on opposite sides of the gym and covered in dark table clothes. They had one at the entrance with a sign that said, “Masks,” and there were a stack of them already cluttering it.

“Live tonight in secret delights,” Tara said and when I turned I saw a banner written up and over the stage where an actual D.J manned a booth. The music was mostly heavy bass without words, the closer I got the more it thumped in my chest. I had to admit though, it didn’t look as bad as I thought it would. The crystal ball that was staple at every dance was hanging front and center and refracting light over the crowd.

“Let’s find Shay and Luke,” I yelled and she nodded. Neither of us had dumped our masks off at the station though, I didn’t trust people not to walk off with mine and I wanted to keep it.

It didn’t take long to find them as everyone had gathered, tables were in short supply already and we had claimed one. It was too warm for the jacket so I slid mine back off and slipped it over the back of an empty chair. Then I placed my mask on the table and made room for Tara to put her mask down as well. Only Lily, Ally, Shay, and Luke still had their masks on at all, but they all had smaller, less intricate ones.

“Let’s go dance,” Heather said as soon as we got settled. Toby, still feeling like he was walking on eggshells over Heather not being nominated for Queen, was already nodding his head and walking out there.

“Masks, really,” Shay said, shaking her head. “How is a single girl like me supposed to find a man?”

“We could go dance?” Luke asked and I watched as he held out his hand for her. When she smiled and took it I glanced over at him, but he had already turned away from me.

“Fucking hell,” I sighed as Tara stood beside me watching them.

“I’m sorry,” she offered, but I held out my hand with a smile and when she placed her hand in mine we walked out to the center of the gym.

The club had better music and better dancing, mostly the guys who were too nervous to move just let their dates dance around them. Towards the center I saw Cindy’s blond hair bobbing around couples watching her pecking on a boy’s shoulder and making him put some space between him and the girl he danced with, I rolled my eyes.

“Do you trust me?” I asked, leaning into Tara.

“No,” she answered, smiling at me.

“Alright,” I said and I slowly pulled her into my chest with the hand I still held. She had her back to me and I smelled her floral ever present strawberry perfume. Her hair tickled my neck and when I looked over the crowd, I saw Cindy, but she had locked eyes on Luke and Shay. With a smile plastered on her face I rolled my eyes and gently twirled Tara back around, then I led her hand up and around my neck. I was sweating, but she didn’t seem to mind.

“What are you trying to do?” She asked leaning into me as she reached up and slid her other hand up and around the other side of my neck. I felt her hands come together, her corsage sending goosebumps across my skin.

“Piss off Luke’s Mom,” I answered as I watched Shay dance around Luke, taking his hand every now and then to pull him into her. Seeing her nearly grinding her ass into his crotch, I thought Cindy would break an ankle to break that up, instead she turned with a smile and walked off to go terrorize the other side of the dancing crowd.

“It didn’t work,” she said as the song changed to a slow song and I took a half step away from her. We probably looked like kids, too scared to get close and dance together like all of the dances in grade school. Looking around I hated that it was so easy. Lily leaned her head and rested it in Derek’s chest and he held her, he had a goofy assed smile on his face that she couldn’t even see because she had her eyes closed. They were just gently swaying to the music, Derek leading her into a small circle. When my eyes found Toby and Heather, she was dancing with her back to him, both of his arms around her waist and she was smiling as he talked to her, his head resting on her shoulder. It didn’t look as comfortable, but there was no doubt or space between them.

Shay was still leading Luke, but now they looked just as awkward as we did and when they turned I saw Luke’s head turn towards me. Seeing him with his arms around Shay I felt my face getting warmer and I knew what jealousy was.

“I need something to drink,” I said and I looked over to Tara to see her watching Luke and Shay too.

“Okay,” she said and when I felt her release her hand I held out mine and she took it and we walked to the punch station, completely abandoned.

There were already poured drinks waiting for us so I grabbed two and Tara led me back to our table. I chugged mine, it was some mix of peach and melted ice cream. I had tasted it before, but didn’t remember from where or when.

“I’m sorry,” I said as we sat down at the table. There were other people not dancing, probably people who came as a group of friends. I jumped when I felt her hand find mine and when I looked back at her she smiled.

“I’m fine,” she said, shaking her head. “I’m having fun.”

“We can leave anytime you want,” I said looking back out at the dance floor as the slow song ended and a fast song took its place. There was an instant parting of the couples and the guys were all back to dancing from the waist up with the girl grinding against them.

“Let’s go remember that your ass got into Georgia,” she said and I watched her down her punch and slam her cup back onto the table.

“Fuck yeah, I did,” I said and I stood, sending my chair backwards. When it fell Tara laughed as I scrambled to pick it back up and drape my jacket back across the back of it.

As we made our way back though the crowd parted and I saw a blond girl in a white dress coming right at us. Seeing that it was Olivia I stopped walking and Tara skidded to a stop beside me. Cindy was close behind reaching out for her, yelling something that was drowned out by the noise of the music. In their wake people were laughing and when Olivia saw me she stopped walking.

“There you are,” she said as she turned on Cindy. “Tell this woman to leave me alone.”

“Enough, Olivia,” Cindy hissed as she grabbed Olivia by her arm just above her elbow. “You’re not within the dress code.”

“They let me through the door, so I definitely am,” Olivia argued as she struggled to get her arm out of Cindy’s grip. “You’re hurting me.”

“You’re practically naked,” Cindy hissed through gritted teeth. “Come with me, we’ll go find you something to drape around you, or you can leave.”

“I’m not going anywhere,” she said as she finally yanked herself free. Olivia was wearing a pure white dress, it looked like a wedding dress with lace on the top. The problem that Cindy probably had with it was that the top was practically just a bra now, Olivia’s entire stomach was showing and it looked like she had gotten her navel pierced just for Prom. It still looked pink around the spot where the jewelry dangled. The top curved around her stomach and down her back and flowed into the dress that had a slit up one leg that reached all the way up to her hip. With her leg sticking out there was no sign of underwear. Luke’s picture from earlier didn’t do it the justice of having seen it in person. Blinking, I looked away as Welker materialized beside them.

“Cindy let her go,” Welker said as he waved his arms. “Ms. Clarke is within the dress code approved by staff at the entrance who were briefed on it before they were allowed entrance.”

“See,” Olivia offered, sticking out her tongue.

“We will have a talk with your parents tomorrow young lady,” she said and just over the music I heard a chant of ‘Cindzilla,’ growing louder.

“Well I don’t see how Luke or Henry walks across the floor around you,” Olivia countered as she pulled up her dress, which exposed more of her naked right leg and shuffled past Cindy, with Welker following behind her.

“Cindzilla,” Cindy huffed, rolling her eyes as she turned her attention to me. “Sweetheart, I hope you know who you’re with.”

“Me?” Tara asked and I watched her hand come up to her chest. “Of course I do, he’s a sweetheart.”

“Right,” Cindy scoffed as she turned on her heels and started scanning the crowd again.

“Sweetheart?” I asked, wrinkling my nose. “You could have said badass or anything else.”

“You only think you’re a badass,” she countered, smiling as she dragged me towards our friends as the ‘Cindzilla,’ chants started to die off as people started dancing again.

“Was that your mother chasing that poor girl down?” Shay asked just as we found them and started dancing.

“That poor girl is my cousin,” Luke answered, rolling his eyes. “And that dress didn’t look like that last month when she bought it.”

“Damn,” Shay said as she put her hand on Luke’s chest and slid it down. I watched her hand keep going until his hand shot up and grabbed it. Laughing, Shay pulled it away then grabbed his hand and twirled herself into his chest.

“She’s been trying to make me nervous all night,” he said leaning towards me, his cheeks flushed, his eyes looking wide despite the mask that half hid his face.

“Is she?” I asked as Tara grabbed hold of Shay and turned her around so that they were dancing together. It got a few looks from the crowd, but there were more girls dancing together other than them and it was normal at these dances when the guys got tired of being statues or poles.

“God yes,” he answered as Shay slid back against him. Grabbing her waist, Luke looked like he was holding her up as Tara danced around them and I laughed when the girls sandwiched him between them, both grinding against him.

I knew that I was standing awkwardly there watching them and when Tara looked over at me and gestured with her finger for me to join them, I looked around. I didn’t see Welker or Cindy. I did see Rick, but he was standing by the punch bowl with his arms crossed not looking in any direction at all. Shrugging I walked up to her and when I got there she guided me behind her, then half turned and grabbed my bowtie and pulled me forward. I crashed into her and had to reach out for her to steady myself, instead I felt Luke’s silky navy vest in my hands and instead of letting go I balled it up in my fist. Looking up Tara winked at me as she turned to face me and wrapped her hand around my neck. I swallowed, my mouth dry.

“Come on, move your hips,” she said and I shook my head.

“You might feel more than you want to,” I whispered leaning into her. Laughing I watched her eyes widen and I tried to take a step back, but she reached up and grabbed my waist and held me there.

“We’re just dancing,” she said and I jumped slightly when I felt Luke’s hand find mine still balled up in the back of his vest. His touch was brief, but I saw him turn his head and look behind himself as Shay grabbed him by the back of his neck.

“What in God’s name are you kids doing?” Cindy asked, her voice high and shrill. Jumping I looked over my shoulder and saw her standing there. Her hands were on her hips and when she saw Luke still sandwiched between the girls, her eyes found mine.

“Dancing,” Shay said as she peered around Luke to look at her. “This song is slamming.”

“That is not dancing, separate yourselves,” she said and I shot my hand from his vest to Tara’s back. I pulled her away from him and she crashed into me. We didn’t separate though and I grunted when Tara’s hip found my crotch. I looked up to see her looking at Cindy, almost daring her to say something. I almost got down on my knee and asked for her hand right there, but Cindy had turned her full attention to Luke.

“Sorry,” Luke offered, turning towards Cindy just as the song ended.

“Alright, alright,” Welker said as he tapped the microphone. “The votes are in, can the finalists make their way towards the stage?”

“Good luck,” Tara said as I shuffled through the crowd. I glanced over my shoulder to see Cindy standing behind the crowd, her arms crossed. When her eyes found mine she rolled hers and started walking around the crowd again. Turning back around I smiled as I reached the front edge of the crowd. I ended up standing between Toby and Bailey Fucking Ashton.

“We’ll do the guys first,” Welker announced as the junior on the prom committee held out two pieces of paper on a silver plate. She pointed to the one that held the name of the Prom King in it with the voting results.

“Where’s Olivia?” I heard Connor ask and when I glanced around expecting to see her coming up to stand beside him. Not seeing her I looked around and saw Luke break away from Shay reaching into his pocket for his phone. With Cindy prowling the gym it would be a risk for him to use his phone, but I wasn’t close enough to stop him.

“Do you want me to go find her?” Heather asked, but when Connor sighed and shook his head she smiled.

“There’s no telling what she has planned,” Connor said, only half smiling at the thought of Olivia’s scheming.

“Oh wow, only twelve votes separated the top two,” Welker said and hearing his voice I turned back to him. “Your Senior Prom King is Connor Wilkes, the runner up Jackson Forrest.”

Hearing his name seemed to stun Connor and when I elbowed him he sprang back into motion and he bounded up the stairs. Welker placed the crown on his head as the gym erupted into hoots and applause.

“How?” Ally asked as she came to stand beside me.

“It’s Connor,” I answered laughing when I saw him stepping towards the mic only to be hip checked by Welker.

“This is a crowning not a speech, Mr. Wilkes,” he said, shaking his head as Connor stepped back and allowed a pair of other juniors to drape a sash around Connor that read ‘Prom King’ in our school colors across his chest.

“Good luck y’all,” I said when Welker motioned for the girl holding the silver plate to step forward a second time. Connor took another step back, his smile still firmly in place even if he was still scanning the crowd for Olivia.

“Thank you,” Lily whispered and I saw Ally take a deep breath beside me and I felt torn now that I saw them both nervously waiting.

“Another close race,” Welker said as he looked over the results. “By fifteen votes, your Prom Queen is Lily Henson.”

Lily’s knees buckled briefly as she held her hands over her mouth. Heather and Ally swarmed her and wrapped her into a group hug before releasing her. Smiling as I clapped and watched her grab the railing on the stairs with one hand and the other holding up her long and flowing dress. She slowly walked carefully up each step and Welker met her at the top with a smile as he gently placed her crown on her head. Unlike Connor, she received a bouquet of flowers to go along with a sash that read, ‘Prom Queen.’

“Alright now we’ll let our new royals share a dance with their dates,” the D.J announced as Welker stepped away from the stage taking the microphone with him. The juniors paraded off the stage with him and I watched Derek walk up to the stairs. He held out his hand when she started down them as Connor slowly walked down the other set of stairs on the other side of the stage, his head darting around scanning the crowd.

“Someone save him, please,” Tara said as she raised up onto her tiptoes. I glanced at Lily who looked torn between dancing with Connor to save him as Derek led her away from the stairs towards the center of the dance floor.

“Fuck it,” I hissed squaring my shoulders just as Connor stepped back onto the mat that covered the gym floor.

“What are you doing?” He asked as I offered my hand for him to take.

“Come on, Connor,” I answered and when people started laughing and applauding he smiled and took my hand. The song was a sappy Celine Dion song that was dated by decades, but the crowd parted for us and we met Lily who smiled and Derek who laughed and held up his hand. I gave him a high five before I pulled Connor around to stand in front of me.

“Thank you,” he said, but neither of us knew where the fuck to put our hands. Finally getting the courage I grabbed his hand and placed it on my hip. We heard another round of laughing as I slid my hand over his waist.

We just started moving when I saw Olivia rushing through the edge of the crowd. Her hair was messed up from the crown of blond curls she had earlier. She had a jacket draped over her shoulders. Her make-up was smeared and it looked like she had been crying. Luke was following behind her and when she saw us dancing she shook her head, but smiled briefly. I stopped moving and when I did Connor started looking around. When he saw her he released me and waved his hand for her to join him. When she shook her head, Luke nudged her forward. Scowling at him she started walking again and when she joined us I took a step back.

“What happened?” I asked, but I already knew. I could see the rip in the fabric on her side that the jacket was barely hiding.

“Cindy,” she said, rolling her eyes as she collapsed into Connor’s arms and I scanned the crowd until I saw her.

“Don’t do it,” Luke said as I started walking towards her. I felt him grab my wrist and when I looked down and back up he shook his head.

“Someone needs to,” I said, wanting to pull my hand away from him. We were too deep into the crowd for her to see him holding my hand and I laughed when I saw that the cufflink on his wrist read J and mine L. We were linked for the first time tonight.

“I will when we get home,” he said, “now please just calm down.”

“Alright, fine,” I said and I sighed when he released my hand just as the song ended and everyone clapped and converged back onto the dance floor. A loud thumping song immediately replaced the soft ballad, the change was instantaneous with everyone but Luke who stood staring at me, still one of the last holdouts wearing a mask.

“Let’s get out of here,” Toby said as he crashed into us. “My place to get ready for tonight.”

“Fine with me,” I said and I looked at Luke as Toby turned us around and swept us with him back to our table.

When we arrived the girls were inspecting the damage on Olivia’s dress. She was shaking her head as she retold the story that I had already missed too much of to be pissed. Seeing me she smiled and wrapped me into a hug. Not ready for it I stumbled backwards and out from under Toby's arm and had to steady myself.

“We can totally fix your dress, the stitching just ripped,” Heather said as she held up Luke’s jacket for Olivia to slide back into. With the rip, I could totally see side boob and looked away as she broke the hug.

“Thank you for saving Connor,” she said as she kissed me on the cheek and slid back into the jacket. Looking past her I saw Connor smiling, still wearing his crown and waiting for her to join him.

“We’re heading out,” Lily said, holding her crown and her mask in her hands.

“We’ll meet you there,” Olivia said as she looked up at Connor who nodded. “I don’t want to be in this jacket all night.”

“Okay,” I said as Tara and Shay joined me and we led the way through the crowd and towards the exit. We knew that once we left the gym we wouldn’t be allowed back in. It kept people from sneaking in alcohol when the police manning the front doors checking everyone went on to more important assignments for the evening. Seeing Cindy already waiting for us I sighed.

“Where are you all off to?” Cindy asked as she stood in front of one of the exits.

“Out of here,” I answered as everyone else shuffled through the other exit. When Connor and Olivia passed through I saw her reach her hand out towards her, but stopped when Olivia glared at her.

“Don’t you dare Aunt Cindy,” Olivia hissed as she tightened Luke’s jacket around her shoulders.

“Luke, you and your date can’t leave. I will drive you home,” Cindy said, turning back to us.

“No, I have a curfew, we have to leave now,” Shay said, turning to glance over at Luke.

“Well Luke, you stay,” she said as she stepped out of the way and let us all pass.

“No Mom, I’m leaving too,” he said, shaking his head. “We’ll talk about this tomorrow.”

“You know I can’t leave,” she said, stepping back in front of him now that we were out into the foyer. I stepped around and entered back through the other exit. Seeing me coming to a stop beside Luke she shot me a glare.

“I’ll be late getting home tonight,” he said, stepping forward. “Now please excuse me.”

“Where are you going?” She asked, crossing her arms.

“We’re going to drop Shay and Tara off at Derek’s and then I don’t know where we’ll be,” he said as he stepped past his mother and I walked around to the other exit.

“To Troy’s field, I imagine?” Cindy asked and when her forehead creased I already had the image of her storming the bonfire later looking for Luke.

“I don’t know,” he answered, shaking his head, “goodnight Mom.”

“Now you listen to me young man, I won’t have you speaking to me like this,” she started and when I turned to Luke he held up his hand.

“Mom you already ruined Olivia’s prom and her dress,” he said, taking a step back towards her. “Just stop and trust me, please.”

“I don’t trust them,” she said, but she only pointed her finger towards me.

“You don’t have to, Mom,” he said and I smirked when he turned away from her and as he walked he pulled off his mask. I let him storm off and away from me, putting a comfortable distance between us. When I got to the open back door of the waiting Limo I stopped and turned to see her still watching us from the exit.

“Get in Jackson,” Ally hissed and I felt a hand reach out and grab mine. Ducking my head I slid into the back seat and closed the door behind me.

Copyright © 2017 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 29
  • Wow 2
  • Angry 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Seems like a normal high school prom. Poor Cindy is really one hot mess. Many chapters ago, Jacksons mom told him she once had an experience with a woman; I wonder if that woman was Cindy. I do get the impression she suspects Luke and Jackson are a little too close. She seems happy when Lukes date was closely dancing with him.

Once again Krista, thanks for another great chapter. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Ok ok what if a drunk driver hit cindy. Now im sure the driver would get a lighter sentence since he did everyone a favor. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

Ok ok what if a drunk driver hit cindy. Now im sure the driver would get a lighter sentence since he did everyone a favor. 

I think that just because it's Cindy, he'd get off with a simple traffic violation! 😂😂😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

Ok ok what if a drunk driver hit cindy. Now im sure the driver would get a lighter sentence since he did everyone a favor. 

😂

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I'm waiting for the shoe to drop and Luke's dad tells Cindy to back off the kids or hit the road and lose her family.  I would have done that long before now.  I can't stand holy-roller types.

  • Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Fry said:

Maybe Luke will get lucky and a house will drop on her.Slow Motion House GIF

I'm pretty sure Luke is getting lucky tonight, but I think he has something else in mind. 

  • Haha 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
On 3/26/2023 at 11:19 PM, Mattyboy said:

Well done, Luke! 👏👏👏

What a fun, weird, tense, happy prom night (well, the first half of it, anyhow).

 

I get that this story is in Jackson's POV, and he won't be there to hear it,  but I'd really like to be a fly-on-the-wall for Welker's talk with Cindy about teachers assaulting students at the prom.  

Yeah, Luke stood up to his mother in public and in front of Jackson. :D I wonder if there will be a fallout from that or not? And yeah, Cindy in Welker's office would be a great selling ticket on Ticketmaster at this rate. :P 

On 3/26/2023 at 11:33 PM, weinerdog said:

“Yeah, if you want to keep your balls, we expect to be there when they play Bama,” Toby apparently has no idea how tough a ticket a Georgia football game is especially against  Alabama.

It's been said a thousand times but Cindzilla  is really a piece of work.There are better words to say  of course she's a piece of something all right

Damn right it is. So, poor Jackson. I wonder if it would be difficult even for him, student sections are only so many available seats too, I think. Which would be where he would want to be, and I doubt he'd be able to get a ticket otherwise. 

On 3/26/2023 at 11:45 PM, Beau said:

Seems like a normal high school prom. Poor Cindy is really one hot mess. Many chapters ago, Jacksons mom told him she once had an experience with a woman; I wonder if that woman was Cindy. I do get the impression she suspects Luke and Jackson are a little too close. She seems happy when Lukes date was closely dancing with him.

Once again Krista, thanks for another great chapter. 

I honestly cannot remember every saying that Grace experimented with a woman? If so, it was completely unintentional and definitely not Cindy. Cindy would probably react to the situation similarly to a cat being put into a bathtub with water. And she was happy and a bit lenient in seeing Shay dancing so closely to Luke. Mind you, when all four of them were involved she had to draw a line.. lol. I wonder what that looked like to her, really. Seeing her son in that light. Sometimes I wish I was inside her head. Him smiling, maybe looking a little awkward, a little scared to have a girl's butt grinding against his crotch... as a mother of two boys, I will never chaperone a dance so that I can safely say that I will never see that happening. :P I am a mother of two girls too, so... a yikes on either/or.. on that one. 

On 3/27/2023 at 2:32 AM, Wesley8890 said:

Ok ok what if a drunk driver hit cindy. Now im sure the driver would get a lighter sentence since he did everyone a favor. 

😮 

On 3/27/2023 at 6:49 AM, jaysalmn said:

I think that just because it's Cindy, he'd get off with a simple traffic violation! 😂😂😂

😮 😮 

On 3/27/2023 at 12:40 PM, Parker Owens said:

Cindy just can’t stop being that person who needs to force everyone else into the mold she’s made for them. It’s immensely hard to let kids grow up, harder still when one feels the need to bind those kids ever more tightly rather than let them make their own errors. I applaud Jackson’s growth since the story began. Luke has made him into someone better. 

Aww, Luke has left his mark on Jackson. I'm glad you mentioned the growth and Luke's influence on him for the better. Cindy characters, although I feel like I'm writing her on the more extreme spectrum so far, are pretty commonplace. It is out of love and worry, I get that part of it, but with little compromise it morphs into control, and for her in her extreme it has become rather ugly at this point. So I am aware that the focus would be more on her actions and maybe not the actions of the other characters. 

On 3/27/2023 at 10:58 PM, Dragon21 said:

😂

:lol:

On 3/28/2023 at 11:16 AM, Israfil said:

So I was a little nonplussed at Cindy’s vitriolic vendetta against Jackson for a while - harassing him at the swim meet was crossing a line but also the sniping in this chapter. It seemed to go beyond the simple “I don’t like you hanging out with my son” issue and is downright childish.

Then it occurred to me - it’s not just Luke, but Jackson’s mum. In Cindy’s mind, Jackson not only fractured her relationship with her son, but her best friend too. Of course, it’s totally skewed since she brought that on herself but to her, Jackson upended two big parts of her life. To a lesser extent her husband who thinks Jackson’s a good kid. Things are changing and we know enough of her character that change is not something she’s good at…

Jackson was a bomb that rippled from the first time he stepped foot into the park restoration project. I guess, if you've also already been told some troubling things, from Grace, and maybe witnessing true worry and fear over Jackson's past... ill thought out plans and repercussions, as well as his likely reputation leaking outside of school. She would preemptively worry, and judge. Who wouldn't be guilty of that to some degree, especially when that person takes an interest in befriending your son. Is it fair, not really, but she isn't solely without justification for some of it. A lot of it though, goes beyond that, so I would agree with the vendetta. :D 

On 3/29/2023 at 12:40 AM, Fry said:

I'm waiting for the shoe to drop and Luke's dad tells Cindy to back off the kids or hit the road and lose her family.  I would have done that long before now.  I can't stand holy-roller types.

To be honest, who is to say up until this year Cindy wasn't like this? We're only seeing her 'after' Jackson came into Luke's life. Henry is also a very patient, and calm sort of person. The opposite of Cindy herself really. If I were to write this story from Luke's point of view, the dynamics would look completely different. Albeit there would be a lot of problematic things, I mean she did take him out of school, segment him from his friends, and etc. So those would be frowned upon. But, maybe those outbursts aren't all that common inside her own home, where she feels safe and it being a Jackson free zone. :D Not saying she isn't full of flaws and all that though. But maybe she is someone Henry can love despite them. 

On 3/29/2023 at 3:50 PM, Mattyboy said:

I'm pretty sure Luke is getting lucky tonight, but I think he has something else in mind. 

Lol. 😮 you think so? 

On 3/29/2023 at 2:47 PM, Fry said:

Maybe Luke will get lucky and a house will drop on her.Slow Motion House GIF

😮 someone probably paid good money for that house. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I've been to a lot of high school dances, even chaperoned a couple, and I've never seen the chaperones intervene in dancing. When I was a chaperone we were told to look for people sneaking in alcohol and drugs, not police the dancing.

I guess one of the bummers of living in a small, rural area is that you have to do dances at the school. My Senior Prom was in the Crystal Ballroom at the Biltmore Hotel with a live band.

spacer.png

Luke is 18, he has been too polite and Christian to tell his mother to pound sand, but I think his patience is running out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, PrivateTim said:

I've been to a lot of high school dances, even chaperoned a couple, and I've never seen the chaperones intervene in dancing. When I was a chaperone we were told to look for people sneaking in alcohol and drugs, not police the dancing.

I guess one of the bummers of living in a small, rural area is that you have to do dances at the school. My Senior Prom was in the Crystal Ballroom at the Biltmore Hotel with a live band.

spacer.png

Luke is 18, he has been too polite and Christian to tell his mother to pound sand, but I think his patience is running out.

yeah, small towns = school cafeteria or gym is the place for dances, graduations, etc. No fancy buildings to speak of... lol. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Proms are a lot of fun. Mine was a little more than a few years ago now at this point, if I’m going to age myself lol. I went with my friends and had a good time. Thankfully no drama or Cindzilla situations.
I’m glad Luke was able to stand up to her. She went way out of line ruining Olivia’s dress.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, RichardWrites said:

Proms are a lot of fun. Mine was a little more than a few years ago now at this point, if I’m going to age myself lol. I went with my friends and had a good time. Thankfully no drama or Cindzilla situations.
I’m glad Luke was able to stand up to her. She went way out of line ruining Olivia’s dress.

I admit I went a little overboard in these "prom" chapters. But I hadn't written one yet, and this was the best opportunity to do so. Maybe it shouldn't have taken 2 - 3 chapters for it to all wrap up, but... I'm not ashamed that it did, lol. :D 

And yeah, Cindy overstepped. Olivia's parents either didn't know, or allowed their daughter to go out in that dress. Although, Luke was also surprised at how much she had it altered. Either way, the school was okay with it and she was there acting as a staff-chaperone, so she needed to keep those opinions at the door... but of course she didn't. :P

I went to four proms... the first one was scary as I was the youngest one there by far. The second one was boring, as I didn't have anyone but my date and his friends to really talk to, aside from older teammates from the various sports I played.. lol. My Junior and Senior proms were a lot more fun. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..