Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 8,079 Words
  • 2,173 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Best Year - 52. Chapter 52

Only two more events and I would be done for the weekend. After my muscles and breath came back to me in the cooldown laps, I got out and grabbed a towel. Drae was right behind me and when we got to our station Tony handed us both a couple of protein bars and a bottle of Gatorade. I never liked the mixture of chocolate and juice, but I ripped the wrapper when my stomach growled.

Matt came back to the station just before Aiden’s race started and Tony left us to follow him to the starting blocks. He was fully clothed and looked defeated and Drae surprised me by reaching out and nudging his shoulders as he returned to his seat. Matt offered him a brief smile before Drae slid in his earbuds already shutting out the world again as he opened his own bar. I watched him bite down half of it before turning to look at the screen. The race Aiden was swimming, was another sprint race. Butterfly, a stroke that he was typically great at despite our indifference with one another. He didn’t seem to have it though and finished a distant third. Looking away from the screen, I saw him rip his cap off and throw it to the ground. I turned back around when Tony grabbed his shoulders, not wanting to see that. The relay had taken just enough out of Aiden for him to fail at an event he usually shined in. Knowing my four hundred individual medley was still waiting for me, the protein bars felt more difficult to swallow after every bite. Then later than that, the showdown with Pete.

“Hey,” Tara said as she appeared beside me. She had a bottle of water in her hand and when she smiled and took a seat I opened the Gatorade finishing off the second protein bar.

“Hey,” I answered, turning to look at her. She was dressed in her pants and jacket. Looking down at mine, I knew I probably should have had it on, but the building itself didn’t feel that bad. Reaching down, I grabbed my jacket and slid it on over my shoulders, unrolling the sleeves as my arms pushed through.

“I ran into Luke on the way to the buffet,” she said and hearing his name I looked back over at her. I didn’t truly expect him to show up, despite him telling me that he would try to ride up with Mom. In her condition, I doubted she would make the trip either. It was a bit of a drive to get here, over two hours and I wasn’t looking forward to that ride back later tonight, but knowing Luke was here my heart picked up a few beats before settling back down.

“Really?” I asked then turned and scanned the crowd, but it was a massive crowd that spilled over into the upper levels the larger university setting allowed for. It was spread out, with empty seats, but still a more packed house than I was used to.

“He told me to tell you to turn on your phone,” she said and I looked down at my bag knowing Tony would pitch a fit if he caught me on my phone.

“He knows the rules,” I grunted as I reached into my bag and rummaged around with my fingers for it anyway.

“Your mom hugged me too,” Tara said and when I smiled as my fingers finally found my phone I pulled it out and hit the power button. “Shocked the crap out of me.”

“She’s very huggy right now, I think it is her hormones,” I answered as my screen lit up and my phone started to load up. “If I wasn’t twice her size she might have popped my head right off my shoulders by now.”

“Well I told you what I was supposed to,” she said as she scooted to the edge of her chair. “Now I have to get ready for our relay.”

“Kick their asses,” I said as I glanced up just as my phone started dinging with unanswered messages. I watched her ball up her curly red hair and slide on her cap, then a second to smooth out the lumps from the first one. When I realized I was watching her undress and that she likely caught my ass, I looked away.

There weren’t many messages from Luke, just that they had arrived, and that Mom nearly broke his hand during my first race. Smiling, I sent him a quick hello, as I looked around for Tony or Emily. I doubted Emily would rat me out, but we both knew my next event was my worst one, so I wasn’t taking any chances.

When he responded with a ‘Hey,’ back I smiled just as Charlie sat down beside me. I knew it was him from the automatic fidgeting in the seat beside me. Glancing over at him he was peeking over my shoulder. Seeing him, I turned my screen away scowling at him.

“Oh?” Charlie said, his mouth making an o-shape as his eyebrows raised. “You’re not sending dirty texts are you?”

“God,” I groaned, leaning back in my chair. “No.”

“Yeah, you are boring like that,” he said as he leaned back into his own chair and twisted the lid off a bottle of water. I watched him take a few drinks then turned back to the phone. It had dinged and when I looked at it, I saw that he had taken a selfie of himself and Mom. Rolling my eyes, I figured he was bored, only ever paying attention to what was happening with interest when I was in the pool.

“You’re going to get my ass into trouble,” I sent and let the screen fade to black as I waited for his response.

“Do you think Drae is depressed?” Charlie asked as he nudged me with his elbow. Looking over at Drae, his head was barely nodding to whatever music he was listening to. I didn’t even know his tastes in music, but he used it to decompress between races and I never bothered him. I saw his reaction to Charlie whenever he made the attempts. It was a game to him, but I doubted I could get away with what Charlie got away with.

“About what?” I asked as I looked back at Charlie, who had been watching Drae too.

“About Shaye with an E telling him she didn’t want to do long distance,” he whispered as he leaned into me. Glancing around I saw that most of us were doing our own things. Kelcie, Shay, Tara, and their fourth for the relay weren’t here. Only another younger girl sat surrounded by all their stuff not paying anyone any attention.

“What if it was a mutual decision?” I asked and when Charlie smirked and shook his head, I waited for what snarky remark that usually followed.

“That’s never a mutual decision,” he said, turning to look at me. “I’m glad I have at least one more easy year with Simon before we make that decision or not.”

“You don’t already know?” I asked, cocking an eyebrow. He had seemed so sure of himself last night when he told me not to listen to Drae. That it was bad advice and that despite distance there should be an attempt to stay together.

“If Simon wanted to part ways, I don’t know what I would think,” he said and when he looked past me, I watched his eyes dance around, attempting to find him in the crowd. I didn’t really want to think about any of that happening. I had two months to get Luke on board with leaving with me. I didn’t even care if he had to miss a semester, because he hadn’t applied to any colleges near Athens yet. He did get his acceptance letter to the community college Toby and Derek were going to for the first two years. It was so they could hang out together and party on weekends, that’s what most people did here. Two years then transferring out to a bigger college, or a community college trade degree. The factory Mom worked at allowed for some specializations like electricians or welders, both were taught at the college. Derek and Toby had their eyes set on getting in and out, so I wondered if they wouldn’t be hooked into one of those. It wasn’t a bad life, it just wasn’t for me. I couldn’t survive this close to home or in a factory, that much I knew.

“I’ve lost your ass, haven’t I?” He asked and I blinked and when he smirked I reached up and pushed his shoulder just hard enough that he had to catch himself on the empty chair beside him.

“No,” I muttered, shaking my head as I reached my arms up and stretched before looking around.

“For what it's worth, I think you two are pretty solid,” Charlie offered and I glanced over to see him watching me stretch. Letting my arms fall back into my lap I yawned. It had been a long weekend and I was glad to see it drawing to a close. Even if I still had the two high stakes events left on my schedule. Mostly because Charlie, Tara, and Drae told me to kick Pete’s ass. I also wanted Scott to see that I really did have all four of my strokes down better, he didn’t get to see that during Districts. I was lucky to have qualified for the four hundred individual medley. I knew he was here, even if Emily didn’t confirm it.

“What makes you say that?” I asked after he looked up at the screen that I had nearly forgotten about. Having a fuller schedule than me he was always scrambling to and from the pools. He seemed to take it all in stride though. If I wasn’t careful I would end up jealous of him, the only thing that kept me from it so far was my own ego, even through all the hits it took over my final season here.

“I’ve flirted with you and you never even blinked in my direction like that,” he said, biting his bottom lip when I groaned.

“You’re a cocky little shit, you know that?” I asked, shaking my head as I looked up to see that my medley was the swim after the girl’s relay that was due to start any second. Glancing over at their pool I saw them readied up and waiting for the bell. When it sounded I saw Shay hit the water. Tara was the anchor, with Kelcie climbing up on the board to go second.

“I’ve been told,” he answered shrugging.

Looking down at my phone at the still blackened screen, Luke hadn’t responded to my text. It didn’t bother me, with the exciting relay with the girls going on. He knew Shay and Tara and was probably actually invested in what happened. Relays were fun to watch too, most of the highlights of these events involved them. Watching my first relay with Rick was what helped seal the deal for me with swimming, even if I never competed in one until this season.

“And what if I did?” I asked, trying to catch him off guard. “What if I let your flirting get to me?”

“It would have been a great time and I wouldn’t have called you after,” he answered and I grimaced, feeling my face warm.

“I don’t even want to know what you two are talking about,” Emily interrupted as she stepped into our station. Jumping at the sound of her voice I turned to see her standing smiling and a little damp. Looking around the relay had ended and the girls were excitedly talking to one another as they made their way down to the warm up pool.

“Nothing,” I said as I stood quickly with Charlie laughing on the other side of me.

“I hope you at least saw the girls dominate their relay,” she said, but when I didn’t say anything she sighed and offered me a small smile. I had heard the crowd erupt all around us and I did hate that I missed it. I should have learned though, that I was never going to get a leg up on Charlie. He said whatever was on his mind, even though I knew most of it was bullshit. I just couldn’t keep up either way.

“You’re up after the two hundred free,” Emily said and I nodded having already looked at the screen just before she got here.

“I’ll go get warmed back up,” I said as I stretched my shoulders and rolled my neck. Sitting for so long after the relay wasn’t the best, but I hoped I was able to recover better than Aiden had in the time I got and he didn’t. Looking up at the line-up, I saw that Matt had this event, but a red flashing, ‘scratched’ was beside it. He would have swam in lane three.

“How are you feeling?” She asked as she watched me gather my gear and shouldered out of my jacket. I let it hit the seat of my chair as Charlie stood and walked over to Drae, who eyeballed him then shook his head before turning back to his music. I was going to miss the latest attempt Charlie made.

“I feel alright,” I answered, unfolding my swim cap after tucking my nose clip into the waistband of my shorts.

“Good, take about ten good laps, and if you feel any stiffness, signal me,” she said as I nodded and stepped around her and out of the station.

Meeting Tara and the girls halfway to the station they were still smiling and when they paid me enough attention I held out my hand and all four gave me a high five. Even Kelcie who seemed shy and the girl I never really got to know, not even enough to catch her name and commit it to any kind of memory. Their hands were cold to the touch and still wet as they all walked and dried themselves.

Having most of the girls from the relay event exiting the pool and an event about to start, I was surprised to see the pool mostly empty. Picking an empty lane, I slid on my goggles and then my cap. Smoothing it out over my head, I stretched my arms out behind me and did a few quick bunny hops onto my tiptoes. Not feeling any stiffness in my shoulders or legs, I bent over and touched my palms to the wet concrete twice before I stood back up. Retrieving my nose guard I slid it on my nose and dove feet first into the water. Surfacing, and knowing the lukewarm water didn’t bring me back to life like the main pool would. The warm up pool always got warm with all the constant bodies heating it up throughout the day. It also got cloudy, the filtration system not able to keep up with the demands.

“Well we’re against one another again,” someone said just as I was about to push myself off the wall and start my first lap. Looking around I saw what looked like the guy I barely edged out of the Eight hundred, in the next lane over.

“Looks that way,” I answered as he lifted his hand out of the water and stretched it out towards me.

“Oliver Cartley,” he said as I shook it briefly and let it fall.

“Jackson Forrest,” I replied as I reached up and double checked the seal on my goggles. When he smiled, sporting two identical dimples just past the corners of his mouth, I blinked and looked up at the screen. The Two-hundred free was well on its way, but none of us had that in the schedule, maybe Matt but he was scratched out.

“See you out there,” Oliver said and I looked down and smiled as I watched him push off the wall. Following him, I dove under the water and bent my knees. Pushing off the wall, I shot forward and fell into a fast, but easy freestyle. I had lost a part of my warm up window, so I sped towards the wall feeling the lingering stiffness start to leave my thighs and calves. Stuff I never could really feel unless I was in the pool demanding those muscles to work for me again. Coming back I saw that someone had joined my lane, so I scooted over towards the lane divider as Oliver’s easy going wave washed over me. Glancing over at him as I kept up my easy pace. Someone had joined his lane as well.

Feeling like I didn’t have a full ten laps of warming up, I surfaced after completing the lap that I was on. Pulling myself out of the pool, I grabbed a towel and looked up to see the countdown had started for my event. Feeling my heartrate pick up despite already being elevated from the warm up, I let out a sigh shaking my head. Pulling my nose clip off, I tucked it back into my shorts, and ran the towel over my face before pulling off my cap. Looking over at the pool I saw that Emily was waiting for me.

Walking, I saw Tony join her and realized he had been missing for a bit, but he didn’t seem phased by anything when I saw him. He was talking to another coach off to the side, and the other coach was doing a lot of head nodding and smiling. Regionals was a much larger circle, but I figured Tony had a lot of connections at these things. I never did, always being on my own until this year.

“You didn’t get ten laps in,” Emily said as soon as I got close enough to her.

“Nope,” I answered, smirking when she rolled her eyes.

“Maybe for my health, I won’t miss you so much,” she countered, playfully slapping me on the shoulder.

“Scott will probably squeal on me,” I said as she smiled as she led me to the starting block.

“Trust your weaker strokes, don’t fall back into bad habits,” Emily said as her tone changed from playful to full on coach. It was a quick switch, not as quick as Tony’s as he always seemed switched on for the most part. “Just remember what we worked on.”

“You mean what you tortured into me,” I countered as I slid my cap and goggles back over my head. Reaching up I felt the smoothness of my cap on my head.

“That’s the only way you learn,” she said, offering me a smile before she took my towel and took a step back.

“You drew lane seven, your competition is in lanes one and two,” Tony said, turning his attention to me. “How are you feeling?”

“Ready,” I answered, rolling my shoulders.

“Ready up,” the steward next to me said. Nodding my head at him, I walked up to lane seven and slid my nose guard on. Breathing in a few long breaths, slowly exhaling each one I climbed up onto my block and got into my stance. Not daring to glance around too much, I waited for the first bell. When it came, I bent my knees and grabbed the front of the block with my hands. Looking out at the water, it wasn’t completely still from the last race. Being in lane seven, knowing I had to watch out for the first two lanes on the opposite side of the pool, I knew, would be difficult.

When the bell rang out I launched off the block, the cooler water of the main pool hitting me as I dove into the clearer blue of it. It woke me up and I looked out at the clear blue ahead of me, not yet choppy as I raced the wave of my wake. Surfacing, I fell into my butterfly a little surprised I didn’t feel any tightening of my muscles, especially in my legs. I expected to feel a little hangover from the relay, and not getting the warm up laps that I probably needed. Focusing on keeping my arm rotation smooth as I dove under the water with each down stroke, I didn’t look around, only focusing on the opposite wall. I had three more strokes, and seven and a half more laps to worry about everyone else. The guys in lanes eight and six were both on my hip, I had smooth water ahead of me. I barely felt the water hitting my sides from their effort.

As I hit the closing meters of the first lap, I flipped after grazing my fingertips against the wall, the bubbles I created tickling my skin as I kicked off the wall. Heading back the other way, I cheated a few strokes, not breathing, to try to get more clean water on either side of me. The guy in lane eight had cruised up to my shoulder after the flip, and I felt like I had fallen asleep somewhere along the way down the first lap.

Surfacing strong, getting back into a smoother rhythm I took a few steadying breaths between them. I could hear the roar of the crowd every time my head was above water. There were a lot of local kids here, and it sounded like their schools traveled with them. It was the one thing I was always jealous about being independently coached by Rick, and now Tony. Until I realized that I was the one they cheered against, I was the spoiler. When that finally clicked in my head, I used it as motivation. Nothing felt sweeter to silence the crowd at the end of an event, to look around and not see school colors being waved into the air as I caught my breath. I knew I had a few people in the stands too, though. Luke and Mom were here somewhere and that was a different kind of adrenaline.

Cheating a few quick glances over to lanes one and two, I saw they weren’t ahead of me, so I knew their better strokes were coming and I hoped it wasn’t the breast stroke. Turning my head after shortening a few strokes, I saw that lane ten on my other side was leading the race by a body length. I wasn’t worried as I surfaced and rolled my shoulders forward for another quick cheat stroke before diving back under, bringing my arms up stronger the next time. The race was early, it would be surprising if someone kept that kind of pace. Tony didn’t mention him either, so he likely had a few weak strokes and was attempting to compensate early.

Not feeling any tightening or strain on my lower back and shoulders still, I couldn’t help but smirk, thinking I could have this if I focused. I didn’t know how good my competition really was, I never paid attention. If I did, I knew I could psyche myself out before it ever began. Some of these guys were probably top swimmers in some of these strokes. This may not even be the statement sort of event for them like it was for me.

Early on my mindset was one of the biggest mountains I had to climb. Knowing Rick wasn’t really a swimming coach and was learning too. I felt behind, smaller, and less trained. It was just something I liked doing, so I did it. My first meet my seventh grade year, I was barely qualifying for anything, and I didn’t win an event. Rick always told me it was my stubbornness that kept me in swimming, more than anything else he used it against me to keep me motivated. All that melted away when I climbed up on the blocks, lining up and looking around at them all. It took me all year to get over that, even with the teasing and shit talking Toby and Derek did about my racing shorts and losing all the time.

Coming to the wall, I felt a weight lift off me as I touched the wall and did a half flip so that I was looking up and dolphin kicking on my back. With my arms out in front of me like an arrow, my hands held firmly together I passed the first marker, a string of flags strewn all the way across the pool. It signaled the closing five meters, so I knew I had another ten I could use before surfacing. My next marker was the change in colors, the lane dividers were a solid blue between the closing five meters and the fifteen meter marker, where it changed to white before going back to the deep blue again.

Surfacing I let out a breath and brought my arm around as I started kicking. The backstroke was easy on the body, more in the smoothness of arm rotations and twist of the hips. Breathing between every fourth stroke allowed me to keep my timing smooth. The guys on either side of me hadn’t gained at all so their waves didn’t make breathing difficult. If they were both beside me, our waves would be bouncing between us. If anything, my kicking bothered them that far back.

As I passed under the closing five meter marker banners on the opposite side of the pool, I looked to my side, not breathing until I found the wall and dove under the water. I hit my hand strong against the wall before I flipped under the water, and kicked off the wall. Clearing the bubbles, I saw that lane ten had faded in this stroke already, and that lanes one and two had gained on me, but it didn’t feel like they had made their moves. I was already convincing myself they were closers with strong breast strokes. I had this half lap to figure them out, breathing easier as more of the field faded away around me, I glanced up at the ceiling, but it was never really clear with the droplets beeding off my goggles for me to get a clear view of my surroundings. I continued to breathe on every fourth stroke, speeding up my arms a little so that I could ease some of the kick in my legs.

Gliding under the closing banner, I looked for the wall again, and when I hit it I dove, and just like that the backstroke was over.

Flipping and turning, I saw lane one had made a move and was now ahead of lane two, but I was still ahead of both of them. They had lost a little ground and I wondered if I had something to do with lane one pressing forward. The backstroke wasn’t their move stroke, it wasn’t mine either, and when I noticed the familiar hat color just before I dove and started kicking, I knew Oliver was in lane two.

The transition from the backstroke to the breaststroke used to feel violent to me. From coasting along, to fighting the water, pushing it out of the way. I didn’t know who had a better breaststroke than me. I did know this was the stroke I needed. All of the work I had done with Emily between Districts and now was still fresh in my mind, for now it kept me sane. I used to force my arms forward, fighting the water like I would someone standing in my way. Emily finally broke me from that habit after grueling practices that had me walking funny on the way out of the door. The strain on my lower back hadn’t erupted like it usually did this far into the race, but the approaching wall didn’t give me any comfort. I didn’t look around, focusing on it as it approached with each rise of my head out of the water, before I plunged back under it. Kicking freely, I felt hunted. I knew Oliver had a strong freestyle, he showed that by nearly beating me. If he had a longer wingspan, he very well could have.

So, when I hit the wall with my hand, I twisted and looked around attempting to see anyone I knew still in the race through the bubbles. Not seeing them, I started my underwater kicks, focusing on keeping my line smooth and even.

Surfacing at the fifteen, I breathed quickly and fought the pressure to push my pace. This was where it all fell apart in Districts. I quickened my pace, feeling rushed knowing this was my weakest stroke. Keeping my back strong and not depending solely on my legs, I bowed under the water, gliding my hands out and away instead of punching the water. The biggest change though, was my pool vision. Punching the water like I had done all these years, meant that I created more chop in my lane. Now I could see the approaching wall and I felt the relief in every muscle of my body. Focusing on keeping my rhythm of diving, and moving my arms forward and back to my chest, I took deeper breaths every time I surfaced. I hoped to bring more life back to my muscles before the turn, so that I could fall into the freestyle and when the closing fifteen meters came and went, I took one last quick breath and shortened my dives under the water. Not breaking form for the first time this season, I waited until I saw the wall within reach before I dove for it.

When my fingers touched, I turned under the water and bent my knees. When my feet squared against the wall I pushed off and exploded. The breaststroke hadn’t killed me and when I hit clean water, I looked over to see this had turned into a two person race. Oliver was tilted slightly in his dolphin kicks, looking my way. I could barely see him in the choppiness, it was his suit that stood out most.

Surfacing, I took a few breaths as I fell into my freestyle. The guys on either side of me had faded farther behind. I met the guy in lane six, but he left barely a wake as he passed. Lane eight was behind him, but looked to be attempting to finish strong. Clean water welcomed me after I cleared their feet and I didn’t look around as I leaned into my arms, twisting my body slightly to give my legs a little less to do in the water.

The race felt faster, or I was feeling rushed remembering the solid closer in Oliver, I still felt hunted. This time though, this stroke felt more like home. It was the first one that Rick taught me, it was the one that started my love for swimming. If he had started with any other stroke, I probably would have called him crazy and quit. I would have found something else to do, maybe even joining the shitty assed football team with Toby and Derek. I would have been desperate to be out of the house. But thankfully, it was this stroke, and when I hit the opposite wall strong, I turned for home.

I didn’t cheat a look towards Oliver, I knew he was there, maybe even ahead of me. Falling into my dolphin kick, already back in clean and clear water, I picked up the pace and it came easily to me. Halfway down, I met my lane partners, six was still ahead of eight, but that is all I knew about the race as our wakes collided and chopped the water around me until I was past their feet, thankful for the open water again.

I had to will myself not to look around when I cheated a few breaths as I sped up, finally feeling the burn in my lungs, all the way down through my thighs to my calves. I gritted my teeth and found the wall as I looked forward and when the closing fifteen meter marker flew past me, I took a couple deep breaths. Tucking my head, I sped up my pace, my eyes focused on the fast approaching wall and when my hand found home, I surfaced gulping air as my body continued to glide forward and I had done all that I could.

There was a roar to the crowd that immediately rocked me as I pulled my goggles off, swiping at the water with my hand as I tried to blink and breathe through it.

Lane six was just hitting the wall when I looked up and past Emily hovering at the wall with a smile on her face. I saw a replay of my lane as my hand hit home. Then the replay moved to Oliver’s lane and when I saw his hand touch the wall I glanced over at him to see him resting on the lane divider breathing heavily with his cap off. He was watching the screen too with his cheeks flushed.

“Clean race,” my steward said and I looked back up to the screen and saw my name in first position. Yelling I slapped the water with my fist as I ripped my cap off my head. Feeling a weight fall from my shoulders I grabbed the edge of the pool and pulled myself out of the water. Emily impatiently pulled me up then crashed into me as she started jumping. Her curly brown hair sticking to my wet skin as she broke the hug and I offered her a smile as she shook me.

“You smoked them,” Tony said as he handed me a towel and clapped me on the shoulder. Looking up at the times, actually paying attention, I saw that I had edged Oliver out by a quarter of a second, more than a finger tip. “I’m damn proud of you and you should be too.”

“Thanks,” I said as I looked back down at him. He wrote my time down on his ever present clipboard, a smile bristling up his graying mustache as the adrenaline of what I had just done finally pressed more through the still lingering nerves.

“Go get cooled down, all ten laps this time,” Emily ordered as she steered me away from the main pool so the stewards could ready themselves for the next swim. Hearing her voice, I came back down to earth a little more. Dripping all over the place, the towel still draped over my shoulder, finally grabbing it and removing my nose clip. Sliding it into the waistband on my red shorts I dried my hair and face, then raked the white towel over my body and down my legs. No longer leaving a trail of water behind me, I made my way to the cool down pool just as guys filed past me. When I noticed Drae he smirked, but kept walking. If it was Charlie, he would have stopped me for a quick comment or congratulations, like he had all the time in the world. I knew I would miss everyone, even fucking Aiden and Matt, that’s how in the clouds I was. Smiling, I shook my head as I draped the towel around my shoulders.

Seeing a completely open lane I wasted no time as I slid my nose clip back on, then my cap and goggles. I placed my towel down at the edge and sat down beside it. Easing myself into the water, I grimaced at the temperature difference, by now the water felt warm by comparison. My breathing hadn’t slowed completely as I sealed my goggles on my face. Pushing off the wall, I dove under the water and eased myself into a slow lap moving just enough to keep myself buoyant. Pete was all I had in my way now, it felt like a year in the making, even if it didn’t really touch me like it would have if I knew him better. He was considered one of the best in the regionals, maybe the state in this event. That was as far as I knew, other than him cheating and all the money that would be changing hands afterwards with the betting. The paybacks if I lost them their bets. Smiling at the thought I picked up my pace a little on the off chance that Emily was watching.

The pool filled with more people as I finished off the last lap of my cooldowns. I climbed out of the pool not feeling as beaten down as I usually did. Reaching for my towel, still damp from drying myself off once already. It was cold to the touch and sent goosebumps racing over my skin, bringing me more to life than the warm water in the cooldown pools. Breathing deeper, I pulled my cap off my head and ran my fingers through my short hair.

Tossing my towel into a bin, I pulled my nose clip off and tucked it into my waistband as I walked to my station just as Drae turned the corner of the main pool. His laser focus on the cooldown pool, a small smile the only indication of how his event went, he didn’t notice me in passing. Smiling, I stepped around the ropes that separated stations and found my seat. There was already a gatorade and another energy bar waiting for me. Looking around Tara smiled at me, but didn’t leave the circle of girls. They had taken to sitting on the ground, cross legged and chatting. They knew one another better than I knew any of them and had another year together. It was the guys that were all breaking up between this year and the next. Matt still looked pale, not wanting to be here. Aiden had two drinks in his hands and when he offered one to Matt, I watched him frown when Matt shook his head. I was too far away to hear what Aiden told him.

Looking away as I sat my cap and goggles down on the top of my jacket. Not seeing Emily at all, and Tony distracted by a phone call, I reached for my phone. When I brought the screen back to life, I saw the missed messages. Looking up at the screen I saw my last race on the list. It was the last race of the entire event. It was a short list that no longer covered the screen. The thought of the night winding down brought my breath up short as another ding accompanied by a vibration told me I had another message waiting.

‘That was intense,’ I read and smiled at the text from Luke as I scrolled up at the other things he sent me between his last text.

“Thanks,” I typed and hit send and started reading again. Mostly about what Grace was talking to him about, and how close the girl’s relay actually was.

“Are you free Monday?” Popped up on my screen and I glanced around to make sure Tony and Emily were still distracted. Seeing them talking to one another, Charlie, the only one still missing from our entire group. With the night drawing to a close, most of us were likely already done. Drae came back to the station and was already packing everything away, so I knew he was finished and like always, was already preparing for the next step of the day.

“No, we have school,” I responded, raising my eyebrows as my heartrate picked up slightly. After skipping out on the half day, Welker wasn’t too thrilled, but let me off easy. I mostly felt it was because he still held out hope that my signing day still involved him. Tony didn’t want to make a big fuss out of it, preferring me to share it with Aiden. Neither of us liked that though, so we were discussing two separate days that didn’t interfere with our Graduations and Tony’s strict schedule. We wouldn’t be done, state championships were still coming up. They happened every summer after our county schools let out. In the past I missed them, not really qualifying for many event finals to bother with it. In the past, I lived for summers and didn’t want anything in my way. Now with me winning the events that I had, I would be invited to state qualifying.

“Do you have anything important to do Monday?” I read as I leaned back into my chair wishing I was facing him instead of staring at a screen. The cold plastic caused me to jump and wrinkle my nose before I settled back in. Having one more event I probably should have put on my warm ups. Glancing down at them, I just edged my jacket sleeve back up onto my bag with my foot, more interested in Luke’s obvious schemes now than anything else. This time of year the teachers were probably just as much on auto-pilot as we were. Too afraid to fuck up and fail a student, we didn’t have much to do. The seniors had already endured a couple graduation practices, like it was rocket science to file in alphabetically, sit in a designated row, and wait our turn. The underclassmen that ushered us through every step had more to learn that we actually did. Welker had been more laser focused on everything than what I had liked, it was his big day too. The speeches, awarding teacher of the year, and all eyes on him. Usually I would be plotting something by now, but Regionals had distracted me. That, and Luke being exactly in front of me, one row up. He was the easier target to torment, and he had also taken graduation practice seriously.

“Not really, just tell me what your ass has planned already,” I sent as I smirked and watched the screen start to dim. Waiting for his response I twisted the cap off my water and took a few drinks before opening the energy bar. This one was a true energy bar, chewy and damn near tasteless aside from the chocolate that only hinted at it being there. Suddenly longing for a bag of Cheetos I kept chewing until Luke’s response flashed across my screen.

“Just meet me Monday morning in the parking lot at school,” and I looked up not knowing how to respond past a quick ‘okay.’ I knew I was going to do it, so I didn’t need to ask him any questions right now. If the night didn’t drag on too much longer, when I got home we might be able to sneak in a video call. Mostly those didn’t involve a lot of talking though, at least not long after they started.

“Why are you blushing?” Charlie asked and I felt ice cold water hit my wrist from the jolt of his sudden appearance.

“What?” I asked as I watched him drying his bleached out hair. He offered me another smile as he walked around me and sat down in the empty seat. Screwing the cap back onto the bottle of water so I wouldn’t spill anymore of it, I shoved the other half of the energy bar into my mouth to give me an excuse not to talk.

“I’m all done for the night,” Charlie said as he offered me a smile, only looking slightly worn out. He still had the pink rings from the goggles around his eyes. “All on you now.”

“Right,” I said as I kept chewing.

“No pressure,” Charlie said, cocking an eyebrow. I knew there was pressure, beating Pete would be the highlight of the night for Tara, him, and Drae. Losing to him would tickle the fuck out of Aiden and Matt.

“Just remember you already got some money out of my ass,” I said, offering him a smile when he frowned.

“I got twenty, we doubled up on this swim and you already knew that,” he said as he sat up in his chair. “You wouldn’t throw it, would you?”

“Aiden might have paid me off,” I said and when I saw the corners of his eyes crease as he studied me, I smiled.

“It would be a smart move on their part,” Charlie said as he glanced in their direction before turning back to me. “But it’s fucking Matt and Aiden.”

“Yeah, fucking Matt and Aiden,” I repeated as I looked up to see that my event was next.

“Good luck,” Charlie said and I watched him scoot to the edge of the seat before he stood and stepped into a pair of flip flops.

“You better win,” Tara said as she appeared on my other side and as I gathered up my things just as Tony shouldered around her to look at me. Behind him stood Aiden and Drae, but he hadn’t noticed them getting up out of their chairs.

Feeling the sudden weight of all of them I sighed and stood as I double checked my nose clip on my waist band. Tony clapped my shoulder as he led me to the main pool, and when I glanced behind me and saw all four of them following behind us, I shook my head.

“You know the competition in this race, Pete and the Cartley swimmer,” Tony said as he walked beside me, double checking some notes on his clipboard. Being the last race, the murmur of the crowd had risen slightly, even before we were on the blocks.

“Yeah,” I said, frowning when I heard the second name. I should have known Oliver was in this race as well. He had shown a strong freestyle twice already. It only added to the nerves that came in waves and trickled all the way down to my fingertips.

“You pulled lane five at least and Pete is in lane four,” he said as he turned just as we hit the main pool prep area. It was only designated for coaches and was only ever crowded during relays. When he looked past me, I saw his face break into a smile. “Well nice to see you all coming up to see Jackson finish out the night.”

“Yeah,” I heard Charlie answer for the crowd and I looked over my shoulder only to see him make the entire thing worse by shooting me a thumbs up. They were standing as close to the pool as they could without being told to step away from the stewards. Sighing I almost tattled on them to get them sent running back to the station, but instead I pulled on my goggles, then my cap.

“How are you feeling?” Emily asked as she stepped up to my other side.

“Good,” I answered, the question finally getting me moving. Stepping up to my block, I rose up on my tiptoes a few times, then I rolled my shoulders and neck. Not feeling stiff in my calves, I bent over a few times. Looking around as the other guys were at their blocks, I saw Pete looming. He was looking straight ahead, stretching out his arms as his coach talked to him. With all the other sounds I couldn’t hear what he said, even standing this close.

“The Cartley kid is in lane seven,” Tony said as he took a step back. “Don’t set a killing pace.”

“I won’t,” I said as I felt my stomach tighten just as Emily elbowed me, knowing that I needed it.

“Ready up,” the steward announced. Her voice was youthful and when I walked past her I slipped on my nose clip and checked the seal of my goggles. I watched Pete lean over the edge to splash himself with the water before I stepped up onto the block.

The water rippled outward from his lane, the dividers between his bouncing more violently than the others. Watching them even back to a gentle ripple I waited for the first bell and when it came I got down in my stance, grabbing the end of the block. Taking a deep breath, I let it out as I stared down at the water, almost peaceful before the storm of ten swimmers shattered it like glass.

Copyright © 2017 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 25
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Tony said as he took a step back. “Don’t set a killing pace.

There ain't no strategy or pace in a 100m Freestyle. You swim the fastest 50m you've ever swam in your life, then you swim the next 50m faster.

Swim meets are a lot of fun, but there is LOTS of down time. As a result you know most of your competitors because you've spent long weekends with them for 10 or more years. In So Cal where I live there is a swim club every 50 feet or so it seems; so sometimes swimmers from other clubs become friends outside of swimming. I feel badly for Jackson that he doesn't have those kinds of swim friends.

And swimming never ends. The high school season ends and club season leads to the Summer Championships for USA Swimming, You get maybe a month off then you start training and competing for the Winter Championships. Luckily I had water polo to break of the grind of just swimming. That is why I give mad props to Michael Phelps and the mental toughness to compete at such a high level at five Olympic games. That is insane, more on a mental/emotional level than a physical one.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..