Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

The Boy on the Porch 4. Georgia Sojourns

   (8 reviews)

Prompt #385 –

 

Brendan Nelson had a tough week at work. He is a Project Manager at a small software company. Nothing went well on his current project. The last delivery to QA (Quality Assurance) was a total failure, the techs couldn't even install it. Add to that, a serious problem in the development of a new feature arose. Finally, on top of that, the customer was screaming about a bug that hadn't been fixed for months, and now it apparently crashed the system. As if things weren't bad at work, he had to come home to a surprise.

There will be instances where child abuse is described. None are extremely graphic, but still may be disturbing. Specific chapters where these occur will indicate their presence.
Copyright © 2024 Lee Wilson; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (20 members)

  • Action Packed 12
  • Addictive/Pacing 15
  • Characters 19
  • Chills 10
  • Cliffhanger 9
  • Compelling 19
  • Feel-Good 6
  • Humor 5
  • Smoldering 6
  • Tearjerker 17
  • Unique 11
  • World Building 6

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

drsawzall

   10 of 10 members found this review helpful 10 / 10 members

A true to life story, not for the faint hearted, gritty, thought provoking, and at time will have you pounding your keyboard in reaction to the subject matter.

Not everything in life is sunshine and roses, sometimes all one can do is to make the best out of a terrible situation, and that makes this tale worth reading.

Response from the author:

Thanks. I try to stick to mostly reasonable in real life. Although I’ll stray from that with the next one.

  • Love 9
Link to review
centexhairysub

   10 of 10 members found this review helpful 10 / 10 members

Well written story that has characters that quickly grab a hold of you and never let go.  The pacing and writing are excellent.  The story is hard to read at times because of the subject matter, but in some ways that makes the writing that much better, you want to turn away but truly cannot.

If you can be triggered with stories dealing with extreme child abuse this is not for you.  The story deals with some extreme situations and how one person finds himself trying to help three children that he discovers he is related to that have suffered horrible abuse.  It is how what occurs shapes each of their presents and futures and how that is dealt with.  

The story is truly worth reading, if you can get past some of the subject matter and how it is presented as very in your face.  This is not done for salacious reasons but as a result of scenes in trials and police interviews.  

@Lee Wilson is a very talented writer, but if you have read his previous stories, you know that he pulls no punches.  

Response from the author:

Appreciate the nice words. Thanks much.

  • Love 10
Link to review
weinerdog

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

 I can't add anything substantial to what the previous three reviewers wrote so I add this so future readers will see the number of deserved positive reviews of this story. I will say not for the faint of heart otherwise enjoy

Response from the author:

I hope by now, most of my readers recognize I skate close to the edge, and sometimes go out of bounds. I hope that actually makes my stories better.

  • Love 9
Link to review
pvtguy

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

An extremely well-written story that deal with a very difficult subject:  extreme child abuse.  However, the focus is not on the abuse but rather how a very compassionate man, who just happens to learn he is the uncle of these children, takes on the responsibility of caring for and truly parenting these young people.  This story is not for those might be triggered about reading about abuse, but is definitely an education while holding the reader's attention.  This is a very definite story worth reading.

Response from the author:

Again, thanks for the compliments.

  • Love 10
Link to review
RainbowPhoenixWI

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

One of the best stories I've read. Perfectly handled material and great characters. I'm not gonna rest until I get everyone I know to read this

Response from the author:

Awesome review. Thanks a bunch.

  • Love 8
Link to review
BentedWreath

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Get past the big warnings (which can even be skipped if the descriptions are too graphic or triggering) and you will become thoroughly invested in how Brendan's life became turned upside-down in his search for answers. Definitely worth the read. 

Response from the author:

Thanks much.

  • Love 4
Link to review
Sherye Story Reader

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

This story is not for ones that can't handle child abuse, but if you can then by all means, read it! It touches on different aspects of it and you begin to hate the abusers more and more. Brendan finds his youngest nephew  and later get all 3 children even though he is a gay man. Some people think badly about gays but there are good ones in this world. A must read if you want a somewhat happy ending. Not all abused get a happy ending but in here they somewhat do!

Response from the author:

Thanks much, appreciate all the positive feedback.

  • Love 5
Link to review
chris191070

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

This isn't a story for the feint hearted. It's true to life, thought provoking, gritty and touches subject matter that will make you angry.

We see Brendan, learning to deal with extreme situations and helping three children at the same time.

I highly recommend giving this fantastic story a read.

Response from the author:

Thanks as well. I liked this on a lot as I was writing it. I suppose that showed.

  • Love 6
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..