Jump to content

Stranded: Heart of Black Ice Bay 1. The Scorched Kingdom

   (14 reviews)
Genres: Fantasy
Sub-genres: General Fantasy

Fellow students of Brathay Stonearm consider him pleasant and harmless. Nobody guesses at his single-minded determination to become the best buildings expert of his generation.

Until Counsellor Brokerman offers him a challenge he feels compelled to accept.

Lord Leonmarkh, youngest of the DuMankin siblings, has a reputation as something of a spoiled wastrel and has been shipped off to Black Ice Bay to assume the role of Watchman of the North. Brathay is tasked with assessing the ancient keep and advising Leonmarkh on how to survive the long winter months.

If only the man would grant him an audience.

Copyright © 2021 lomax61; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (79 members)

  • Action Packed 53
  • Addictive/Pacing 67
  • Characters 73
  • Chills 20
  • Cliffhanger 42
  • Compelling 37
  • Feel-Good 15
  • Humor 11
  • Smoldering 25
  • Tearjerker 16
  • Unique 51
  • World Building 54

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Aulderly
    • 6,654 Words
    • 8,660 Views
    • 34 Comments
  • 2. Duchess
    • 6,326 Words
    • 4,291 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 3. Keep
    • 6,535 Words
    • 4,670 Views
    • 20 Comments
  • 4. Welcome
    • 5,833 Words
    • 3,767 Views
    • 11 Comments
  • 5. Town
    • 6,905 Words
    • 3,815 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 6. Tavern
    • 5,601 Words
    • 3,249 Views
    • 10 Comments
  • 7. Combat
    • 5,588 Words
    • 4,348 Views
    • 14 Comments
  • 8. Summons
    • 5,433 Words
    • 3,632 Views
    • 19 Comments
  • 9. Ride
    • 5,620 Words
    • 3,865 Views
    • 19 Comments
  • 10. Frozen
    • 6,423 Words
    • 3,602 Views
    • 19 Comments
  • 11. Return
    • 4,493 Words
    • 3,512 Views
    • 20 Comments
  • 12. Beacon
    • 5,314 Words
    • 3,676 Views
    • 18 Comments
  • 13. Revelation
    • 5,850 Words
    • 4,292 Views
    • 15 Comments
  • 14. Refuge
    • 5,809 Words
    • 3,803 Views
    • 16 Comments
  • 15. Millflower
    • 5,376 Words
    • 3,641 Views
    • 16 Comments
  • 16. Prisoner
    • 6,350 Words
    • 3,629 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 17. Captive
    • 5,981 Words
    • 3,518 Views
    • 12 Comments
  • 18. Trial
    • 7,844 Words
    • 3,718 Views
    • 20 Comments
  • 19. Attack
    • 4,175 Words
    • 3,460 Views
    • 21 Comments
  • 20. Betrayal
    • 3,474 Words
    • 3,427 Views
    • 25 Comments
  • 21. Brennik
    • 4,776 Words
    • 3,651 Views
    • 25 Comments
  • 22. Message
    • 4,299 Words
    • 3,636 Views
    • 26 Comments
  • 23. Deception
    • 6,420 Words
    • 4,687 Views
    • 27 Comments
  • 24. Aftermath
    • 7,795 Words
    • 3,449 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 25. Epilogue
    • 2,191 Words
    • 3,241 Views
    • 21 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

84Mags

· Edited by 84Mags

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

Every part of this well-developed saga will instantly draw you in. Let the map be your guide as you explore magic, the people who populate the kingdoms, and the challenges of betrayal. Bonds are formed through forged friendships, romance, courage, and shared purpose. The descriptions pull you into each scene. This story is the first in a series of three. It is captivating, enthralling, and engrossing. You will be spellbound by its charm. 

Response from the author:

Thank you @84Mags for that glowing review. 

I have really enjoyed putting the story together, although I am looking forward to a break to get life make on track before getting my head down to continue the story.

Thank you also for staying the course.

Brian

  • Like 5
  • Love 7
Link to review
raven1

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

I have read other stories by Lomax, but this is by far my favourite. Although the setting is a bit medieval and involves magic, there are times if feels more like science fiction set in the future.  There is plenty of action and adventure as Brathay faces challenges with an assignment he is given by his mentor.  You enter a world of romance, intrigue and danger in this epic story of courage and betrayal.  The characters are complex and engaging whether good or evil.  The story is compelling and written with many twists and tantalising clues to keep you guessing and in suspense.  This tale is so enjoyable and comes with an interesting end leaving you wanting more, and a hint of more to come.  Outstanding writing!  I highly recommend this story.

Response from the author:

Dear @raven1,

Thank you so much for that endorsement. I hope other readers are tempted to follow the story the way you have and also to post their comments on each chapter the way you did. I really appreciated that.

All the best,

Brian

  • Like 4
  • Love 8
Link to review
Daddydavek

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

I was late to the party and could read the whole saga at my leisure and not have to wait for the next chapter.   I want to add my recommendation to this fantastic story of intrigue, Machiavellian treachery and in the end a romantic love story.  Sadly, I now have to read another story as there is now a second book....

To be sure this is a fantasy world, carefully crafted and while this may not be your favorite story genre, the telling is so well done drawing the reader in with characters for whom you begin to care deeply.  Be warned, you are in a for great read!

  • Like 2
  • Love 8
Link to review
CincyKris

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

I'm not sure how I missed reviewing this when it completed!  This is one of the best fantasies I have read.  There is a wonderful blend of tension, intrigue, heroes & villians, magic, and love.  But beware, this author does not dumb it down!  Pay attention!  I'm going to greatly enjoy a reread, as the second book has just been posted.

  • Like 3
  • Love 6
Link to review
Doha

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

Stranded: Heart of Black Ice Bay is Game of Thrones meets Harry Potter. 

A superbly written tale, weaving mystery, suspense, belly shaking laughter and heart-wrenching sorrow, this is a real page turner. 

The development of the main characters and the supporting cast is masterful and we are pulled into their lives, their loves, their hopes and woes. 

I loved every moment immersed in this story. 

Response from the author:

Thank you for this wonderful review, @Doha. I am currently working on the next instalment which follows on from here, and I’ll start posting at the beginning of November.

  • Like 3
  • Love 7
Link to review
islandboy

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

This well-written story takes the reader to a semi-medieval world filled with feudal political manuverings. The saga flows well as the author develops the characters and they gradually reveal themselves from the beginning to the thrilling end. I really enjoyed the story. Very well done!

Response from the author:

Thank you @islandboy. Your comments mean a lot to me. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 6
Link to review
Gyrefalcon

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

What a great way to spend a weekend! A fantastic story, and fortunately, everyone from now on can binge on it like I did since it is complete. I can’t wait for the next part of the story though. Excellently written. The characters are captivating and the suspense is fun!

Response from the author:

Thank you @Gyrefalcon, I appreciate the review. I am currently working on the sequel.

  • Like 6
  • Love 4
Link to review
Ullyssess

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

This is another brilliant story by Lomax61.  I really enjoyed this book. The characters grow throughout the story, you get to know them and their little sides and you get surprised by what you didn't expect in them. The fantasy element is clear and well thought-out, with a lot of attention to logic and details, without trying to explain too much.

In between reading two chapters, because there is also work to be done, the story continued to live on in my mind. I wanted to read on, to know how it would go on, how the main characters would react, and yet I tried to read slowly in order to enjoy it as long as possible. And this makes this book a must read.
I am really looking forward to the next parts in this series.

 

Response from the author:

Thank you, @Ullyssess. Your positive review means a lot to me.

  • Like 6
  • Love 5
Link to review
drsawzall

· Edited by drsawzall

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

Dust off the easy chair, set the temp to a comfortable setting and make sure you have your Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot hats on. A mystery, set inside a mystery, encased in several enigmas, this story will not disappoint as it wends and weaves it's way through your thinking process.

Set in an alternate world, you are captivated in a richly told series of settings. Once you feel you have the gist of the story, it will confound you once again. As well written and believable a story as you will find on this site!

Amateur sleuths...start your conjuring!!!!   

Response from the author:

Thank you @drsawzall. Spot on as usual. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 10
Link to review
Theo Wahls

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

A wonderful read. I did it twice to get into the rhythm of the language and plot. For medical fantasy it is concise and detailed at the same time. The characters are developed naturally as the story progresses. The main protagonist, Brathay Stonearm, grows into a strong force to be reckoned with by all the other characters. Good scenery, detailed character backgrounds allow the character to meet every event as they arise. It does not race to the end but strides with purpose and surety. Read it for casual enjoyment or your passion for mystery and battles for justice. Either way is good.

I look forward to the two sequels promised by Lomax61.

Response from the author:

Thank you @Theo Wahls. Really appreciate your review.

  • Like 2
  • Love 8
Link to review
vonfoto

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

If lomax61 were a member of the Mulian Empire, he could easily have been accused of practicing the forbidden art of thaumaturgy. He has magically created a world of medieval technology and supernatural connections that draws you in as surely as any potion. He has also created wonderful characters, some wise, some beautiful, some evil, some of whom will feel like friends after a chapter or two. That there are several cliff-hangers and some tragedy in the story only makes it a more captivating read.

I am very much looking forward to the other stories in the trilogy.

Response from the author:

Thank you @vonfoto for that kind review.

  • Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Haha 2
Link to review
quokka

· Edited by quokka

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

I dont usually read this kind of stories, but I am glad I did.

Thank you for an awesome story.

Q

Response from the author:

Thank you.

  • Like 10
  • Love 1
Link to review
centexhairysub

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

Exceptionally well written story; the plot flowed beautifully and the characters, both good and bad, were well developed.  A land of danger and daring and men and women willing to brave it to do the right thing face off with those seeking power and destruction for their own benefit.

Some truly interesting twist and turns and developments abound; but the author uses his skill to draw you in until you can't wait for the next reveal. 

Take a chance and enter this enchanted story that is just getting started.

Response from the author:

Thank you for that kind review.

Brian

  • Like 10
Link to review
drpaladin

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

This is a new genre for Brian and he delivers a well thought out alternate world. The characters are complex and the plot is wonderfully twisty. There are plenty of mysteries and hidden motives to explore.

It was an excellent read with the promise of more to come.

Response from the author:

Thank you @drpaladin, for this lovely review and for being with me for pretty much every one of the stories I've posted here. I hope you realise how much I appreciate your comments. 

Brian

  • Like 5
  • Love 7
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..