Jump to content
    lomax61
  • Author
  • 1,605 Words
  • 4,210 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Kissing the Dragon - 6. Accused

DS Chaudhary questions, DC Whitehead accuses. Why is the good looking ones always turn out to be a-holes? Fortunately, Colin remembers his take-out alibi.

Winter sunlight flooding the room has overheated the already thickly warm space and I sense a trickle of sweat snake its way down from my hairline. Without waiting for permission, I stand quickly and remove my jacket, twisting around to arrange the cloth across the back of my chair. Wiping the sweat away from my face with both hands, I turn back into Whitehead’s fierce glare. Does he think I am responsible in some way, that I should have done more? Without giving anything away, he returns his attention to his notebook. Once seated, and with a conscious effort, I force myself to breathe and think back to Friday night. Did Denny seem scared or concerned that night? No, he was the same as always, drunk but otherwise his usual caustic self. Did he decide to head back to the pub? But that seems highly unlikely, not only was he too drunk but he claimed to be tired. And I remember turning back after leaving him, and witnessing the light come on in his house. Why would he head back to the ponds when he could barely stand? After we parted company I ambled home, not really giving the man another thought. Not realising that I would never see him again. And now these professionals are here to interrogate me. And then a cold thought comes to me. Am I a suspect? How can I not be?

“Why?” I hear myself say.

“Why what?” says Chaudhary.

“Why would anyone want to kill him? He’s harmless. Was. A vicious tongue perhaps, but otherwise harmless.”

“People have been murdered for less. Why do you think we’re here?” says the man. Again, he stares at me hard and impassive, no flicker of empathy.

“You think I had something to do with this,” I say, a statement not a question, truly despising him now, but choosing instead to match his fixed gaze. My mind rallies back to the walk home on Friday night seizing a fleeting memory.

“Now there’s an interesting thought,” replies Whitehead, his gaze unwavering.

“Ben,” mutters Chaudhary.

“Wong,” I blurt out, causing all eyes to turn my way.

“Mr McCann?” says Chaudhary, frowning as though she has misheard.

“Wong’s, I mean,” I say, a sigh of relief escaping me. I close my eyes and massage the bridge of my nose with my thumb and forefinger. “The Chinese takeaway on Garfield Road. I’d completely forgotten that I nipped in on Friday night on my way home after leaving Denny. Was going to order some food but the place was heaving. The shop’s two streets away from my home.”

“Can anyone verify that?” asks Chaudhary.

“Mrs Wong,” I reply, exhaling audibly, relief flooding through me. “They were busier than their usual Friday night, end of the month I suppose, so she was out front taking orders. But she made point of saying hello and gave me a copy of their new menu. Wanted to show me the dishes they’d added. Requested by an acquaintance of mine.”

Thank heavens for Billy. Even though he had not been home all weekend, his persistence with the local Hong Kong restaurateurs has entailed them adding a few extra dishes to their typically British version of Chinese cuisine, and providing me with my alibi.

“And you think this Wong woman will remember you?” asks Whitehead.

“I think so,” I venture, looking up into his stern gaze. “I mean, yes. I’m confident she will.”

Whitehead shoots a coded look at Chaudhary and then continues scribbling in his notebook.

“I still don’t understand,” I say, addressing my concerns to Chaudhary. “I parted company with Denny at the end of Station Lane. I saw lights come on inside his house. Nobody else was around. I would have seen. Why would he head back to the ponds. He could barely stand when I left him. It doesn’t make any sense.”

“Look, this is strictly confidential,” she says, ignoring the sharp glare from her counterpart. “He might have not been killed at the ponds, might have walked in on somebody.”

“But that’s speculation right now,” adds the man.

“Oh, my God,” I hear myself whisper. “And he’d have been too drunk to defend himself.”

“That’s not always the case, Mr McCann,” says Chaudhary. “Although the interesting thing is that according to the coroner, Mr Harrison didn’t put up a struggle. Which draws us to the conclusion that he was either taken by surprise or that he knew the murderer. Or both.”

“Sorry if I’m being obtuse here. But you said the body was found floating in the pond?” says Dorothy, asking something patently obvious that I have missed. “Why would the robber go to all the trouble of killing him in his home and then carry his body to the pond? To make it look like a drowning? Isn’t that a little fanciful? Did you find any murder weapon?”

“At the water’s edge,” says the man, nodding in agreement at Dorothy’s skepticism.

“But the murderer may have been trying to divert attention from something else, to make it look as though he’d been attacked in the woods. In fact, if it wasn’t for a scrupulous member of our team finding Harrison’s blood beneath a rug on the bedroom carpet, we would have assumed he’d been killed at the ponds.”

“Which is still the most likely case. Can you think of anyone Mr Harrison might have had issues with? Apart from yourself?” asks the man, his gaze still glued to me. I take a deep breath before answering.

“Enough to kill him? No, I can’t. But then we were hardly bosom buddies. Aside from bumping into him at the Duck, I rarely saw him,” I say, and then feel a wave of remorse living so close to this man. What would it have cost me to maintain a closer friendship? “Maybe you should speak to his co-worker at the shop. Or Megan Mayhew, the landlady at the Duck. She probably saw more of Denny than anyone.”

“You think we haven’t done that already?” said Whitehead, stony-faced. ‘“Why do you think we’re here?”

“I’m trying to be helpful.”

Once again I notice Chaudhary cast a cautioning glance at Whitehead, but the man ignores her, lowers his head again, hiding in his notepad.

“We know you are,” says Chaudhary. “And we thank you for your help, Mr McCann. One final thing, would you mind looking at a photograph of the victim, just to confirm?”

I have never seen a photograph of a familiar body laid out on the slab of what I guess to be the mortuary before. Denny’s face is bloated and bloodless but otherwise recognisable and thankfully no wounds can be seem. Still my stomach contracts in protest and I turn away, swallowing back bile. Something about his outfit niggles though and when I turn and look again, I realise it is the same as I had seen on the night, except for one small detail.

“Yes, that’s him. And that’s what he was wearing. Apart from the handkerchief.”

“What do you mean?”

“He didn’t have a handkerchief in his top pocket that night. Not when he was with me.”

“Are you absolutely certain?”

I nod decisively in response and hand back the photo. Chaudhary is unaware of my mild form of OCD otherwise she would not question me about attention to detail. Moreover, it strikes me as an odd addition to the colours of his outfit. As affected as he was, Denny made a point of never wearing pink.

“Before I let you go, Mr McCann, I’ll need your fingerprints for our records. Can you also confirm your address and contact information. We aren’t releasing any details to the media until later today or early tomorrow, so I would be grateful if you could treat this matter as strictly confidential. And not a word to anyone about the bedroom scenario. DC Whitehead, can I have word?”

Whitehead’s head snaps up at that and he rises hastily. Striding to the window Chaudhary stops and turns to face us, far enough away to be out of earshot, and nods for him to join her. While I write my details on paper provided by Dorothy, I peer up a couple of times to see Chaudhary’s mouth working, a flash of anger in her face. A couple of times she shakes her head. With his back to us, it is difficult to make out Whitehead’s reaction but finally, once she has stopped speaking, his shoulders shrug once. Leaving him at the window, Chaudhary returns to us and I follow her instructions on providing fingerprints.

“Once again thank you for your time, Mr McCann,” she says, tucking her kit away. While I wipe my fingers on a tissue, she reaches into her breast pocket, pulls out a business card and hands it to me. “If you remember anything else, please call my private line or the station main switchboard. We’re going to be installed in the Croxburgh police station until this is resolved. Now perhaps you’d like to wash up and return to your class while I have a quick word with Ms Humphreys.”

Still in a daze, I bid them both farewell. Stepping past, I venture a glance at Whitehead who has turned to observe me, his arms folded. As I walk past him, I nod a cursory farewell, a gesture that is rewarded by a dark glower that follows me to the door. Whatever she has said to him has rattled him royally.

All I can think is, thank goodness I will be dealing with Chaudhary from now on.

span>I hope you enjoyed this chapter. If you'd like to join in a chat or leave any additional comments about the plot or cast of characters, I have created a forum accessed via on the link below:

http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/40694-kissing-the-dragon-discussion-forum/

Brian (a.k.a. lomax61)

Copyright © 2015 lomax61; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 54
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Now we're getting somewhere! A handkerchief! Added to the body? To make a statement? Pink leads my thoughts to a certain way to identify gay men... That combined with the prologue makes me think of nutters hating gay people. But I suspect it's not that simple.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

The addition of the handkerchief, which Colin made them aware of, would seem to link this to the death in the prologue. Since there was no struggle, Denny either knew the killer or was surprised. Colin sending his coat to be cleaned isn't good in retrospect, but there is a world of difference between blood stains and vomit. I certainly hope Mrs Wong will remember Colin being there and a time frame despite being busy. Perhaps DC Whitehead just doesn't like gay people. He does have a problem somewhere.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

First a green handkerchief, now a pink. Definitely links the two murders. Colin doesn't recall the stranger at the pond he thought was watching them? He was in the shadows, but hopefully there's something else when he remembers. I really hope Mrs. Wong can remember Colin.
These are professional hit men, so I'm thinking as Tony was a rent boy, this put him in touch with important/dangerous people. Maybe he saw something, or knows something which he shouldn't, or simply pissed off the wrong guy. Please, we need to know more... Please!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 08/25/2015 07:24 AM, Puppilull said:

Now we're getting somewhere! A handkerchief! Added to the body? To make a statement? Pink leads my thoughts to a certain way to identify gay men... That combined with the prologue makes me think of nutters hating gay people. But I suspect it's not that simple.

Hi Puppilull. I had been in two minds whether to include the prologue which clearly shows the killer planting a handkerchief on his victim. But then I thought better. There's nothing to say this isn't simply a coincidence. But then...

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 08/25/2015 08:35 AM, drpaladin said:

The addition of the handkerchief, which Colin made them aware of, would seem to link this to the death in the prologue. Since there was no struggle, Denny either knew the killer or was surprised. Colin sending his coat to be cleaned isn't good in retrospect, but there is a world of difference between blood stains and vomit. I certainly hope Mrs Wong will remember Colin being there and a time frame despite being busy. Perhaps DC Whitehead just doesn't like gay people. He does have a problem somewhere.

I'm glad people are picking up on the handkerchief plot, and you are right to question the judgement in having the coat cleaned so soon - although as far as Colin was concerned, there was no reason not to do so. Of course, as far as he know, Denny was alive and well then, but it's not Colin who needs to be convinced that this is simply an innocent act.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 08/25/2015 10:54 AM, Defiance19 said:

First a green handkerchief, now a pink. Definitely links the two murders. Colin doesn't recall the stranger at the pond he thought was watching them? He was in the shadows, but hopefully there's something else when he remembers. I really hope Mrs. Wong can remember Colin.

These are professional hit men, so I'm thinking as Tony was a rent boy, this put him in touch with important/dangerous people. Maybe he saw something, or knows something which he shouldn't, or simply pissed off the wrong guy. Please, we need to know more... Please!

Dear Detective Defiance19, some pretty sound reasoning here - all clearly speculation, of course. If the murders are linked, what is the motive? Certainly could imagine Tony being in touch with dangerous people but the question remains, why Denny? In the words of Launcelot from the Merchant of Venice: "...murder cannot be hid long; a man's son

may, but at the length truth will out."

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

What happened to the green handkerchief tied around the wrist of Tony, the rent boy who supposedly ODd as mentioned in the prolog? And who was the mysterious lurker hovering about the pond? DC Whitehead needs to be tied up by the thumbs, in my opinion, it is never a good idea to harass a witness to a crime unless you are able to prove his complicity. Then he must be accused and Mirandaed, but that is my interpretation of American procedure, not CID protocol. We also have the unknown at the end of the telephone call. Was he the same person as the lurker at the pond? Too many questions, not enough answers. Whatever will be, will be. 

Edited by Will Hawkins
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Colin didn't tell them Denny never wears pink, so it probably wasn't his handkerchief, but I guess he's not feeling quite so obliged to be helpful after his treatment by the male cop. Them taking his fingerprints isn't a good sign either.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Reading things out of order has confused me even more than usual!
;–)

But the pink handkerchief is significant. The police didn’t mention Colin’s paisley handkerchief, the one that he gave to Denny so Denny could wipe his mouth after vomiting. Perhaps it’s better that the cops don’t know who the handkerchief originally belonged to, considering DC Whitehead’s attitude! (The water bottle probably has Colin’s fingerprints all over it too.)
;–)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 8/27/2015 at 8:35 AM, lomax61 said:

Hi Puppilull. I had been in two minds whether to include the prologue which clearly shows the killer planting a handkerchief on his victim. But then I thought better. There's nothing to say this isn't simply a coincidence. But then...

I think that it’s all tied in together 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I almost wanted to know if the pink handkerchief was folded as a triangle in the pocket.  It is very obvious from his actions and words that Whitehead is very bigoted.  I do find it strange that Colin didn't share the vomiting episode.  It just seemed that it would at least have demonstrated that Denny was extremely drunk and not able to defend himself when he was attacked.  I also think he should have mentioned the figure that stared at them after Denny vomited near the pond.  Hopefully we will find out in the next chapter that Mrs Wong remembers seeing Colin on Friday.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..