Jump to content
    Fishwings
  • Author
  • 1,596 Words
  • 3,692 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I'm Not From Earth - 18. Eighteen

e i g h t e e n

With every step he took towards the crashed ship, Rover felt more and more compelled to go on. At first he wondered why, but soon those thoughts died. His fear dissipated, and eventually his head was a cloud of muted feelings. It felt sluggish. He could barely think, let alone see.

And when the voices that were but his thoughts had all shut down, he felt another presence enter his mind.

It didn't probe like a curious animal, but fell over him like a blanket. At first he could see nothing but darkness, feel nothing but the constant pulls that were his own feet walking, but soon it came. Waves that were nothing but flashes of impulses. Scattered, sporadic; they pulsed like fireflies behind his irises, flashing and flashing until they were images, crude but bold, playing rapidly in Rover's head.

He saw space. Outer space in all its glory; chains of white hot suns, clouds of pulsing stardust, dark expanses that stretched and stretched. Planets that were bright crescents of glowing colour, moons that were all contours and planes. Then he saw the ship, spinning with vivid colour that was not red, blue, yellow, or any in between but a colour more brilliant than any combined. It was spinning through space, with purpose and direction, spinning with intelligence that stood in figures behind the grey crystal windows...

"Rover."

He woke.

And the craft was no longer flying through space, because it was jammed dead in the side of the earth. The magnetic pull coming from the ship released him, and vanished altogether. Rover was left with a resonating remorse that deadened the hollow of his chest. He stood, weak kneed.

"It's perfectly normal," Slade said reassuringly. "Even though I have no idea why that happens, I go through it every time I visit." He smiled and put a steadying hand on Rover's shoulder.

"The sadness?" He asked quietly.

Slade paused, then nodded. "Especially that."

Rover forced himself to walk the last strides.

The entrance was the most human looking thing on the whole ship. Framed and embroidered, it stood tall, a gaping coffin of darkness. The only problem is was that being tilted to the side, the entrance was far too high to reach.

"C'mon," Slade said.

This time Rover obeyed without question. They leapt high into the air and landed at the foot of the threshold.

"It's going to be a rough trip, so hold on just a bit longer," Slade warned, just as Rover started to wriggle out of his grasp.

Rover cursed quietly. Slade grinned back and said, "You can bury your face into my back if you can't stand the speed. It kinda helps. And if you feel like throwing up, turn your head backwards, all right?"

"I'm not going to throw up," Rover announced, scowling.

Slade nodded all-knowingly. "I know that. Just being professional. Now we go on the count of five. Sound good?"

"Yeah, sure. Whatever."

Rover steadied himself, and Slade started to count, his voice echoing down the entrance walls.

"One..."

The dark doorway suddenly seemed a lot more threatening.

"Two..."

Deep, steady breaths.

"Five!"

"What?! What the hell!" Rover yelped, and the violent sensation of falling was back.

The trip was fast but smooth, although Rover could argue that it was more terrifying than anything else. He felt like he was in a dark water slide. A really, really fast water slide. The tunnel was steep and Rover would've fallen off if Slade had not secured him with his strong arms.

After what seemed like forever, they landed.

"Learn how to count, asshole." Rover grumbled, his voice cracking.

He felt Slade tremble with laughter. After a few minutes of getting his breath back to normal, Rover opened his eyes.

"Hell." He felt the breath catch in his throat.

Everything was brilliant.

It was as if they had landed in a world frozen over with diamond. The moonlight that shone in was intensified by the clear walls, its beams dissected and splayed with all the colours of the spectrum; a billion rainbows that shimmered in the sides of the crystal pillars. Rover could taste the ancient dust that hung in the air. Illuminated tattoos, similar to the ones on the outside of the ship, crawled underneath the vast expanse of cold glaze that formed a sparkling film over the massive interiors.

He wasn't sure what this was supposed to be. The arrangement of tall pillars reminded him of some strange shrine, but the vast, circular floor suggested a futuristic ballroom. A large strip of window that sliced through the wall behind revealed the starry night sky and the inner flesh of the crater.

The room was tilted at quite an angle in proportion to the position of the ship, but judging by the casual way Slade was standing, it didn't look particularly slippery. Slade released his hold and Rover slid off. His shoes gripped keen, miniscule edges of the shining mineral, and he made a mental note not to fall or he was sure to cut himself to ribbons.

Something bright caught his eye. Curious, Rover started walking to the centre of the room, drawn to what looked like a frozen sphere barricaded by rings and rings of designs. Step by step he approached, barely noticing that Slade was following.

He stopped a foot away. Up close, it looked like a small boulder of uncut diamond, all messy ridges and veins. But its glow was brighter than the rest of the crystalline ship. The light from it pulsed softly -- rhythmically -- like a heartbeat.

Carved onto the surface of the sphere, so faintly that one had to squint, was the engravement of a hand.

"What's this?" Rover asked.

Slade shrugged, "I haven't got a clue. By the looks of it, I think it might've been something used to activate the ship."

"You ever like, try it?"

There was no reply from Slade, but he rolled his eyes. The reflections from the ship lit his face in a strange but beautiful light, his smooth skin aflame with pinks and blues. Slowly, he stretched his hand and placed his hand in the engravement. Just as slowly, Rover lifted his hand too, stretching it over Slade's so they were as one, both palms resting on the heart of the ship. There were no thoughts of comfort, no bouts of embarrassment. It was just something that happened without a need for reason.

And then the world exploded.

A powerful jolt exploded from the crystal ball, without a moment's warning. They were momentarily blinded. The glow had escalated into a piercing beacon, and the surface of the cool crystal was suddenly too hot to touch. Rover stumbled back, and he felt Slade catch him.

"What the hell is happening!"

"I don't know!"

A shock wave rolled from the centre and hit them, driving them backwards again. It didn't feel like static, or a burst of wind. It was something that threw their thoughts in a painful state of disarray, and something physical that threw them twenty feet backwards.

"I thought you said it didn't work!" Rover screamed.

"Well we proved me wrong! It's working just fine, now!" Slade yelled back.

There was a shattering. Shatterings upon shatterings. Rover blinked and saw the pillars of crystal crumble into waves of countless shards, filling the once stagnant room with deadly motion.

A horrible sound split into their ears. It sounded like metal being wrenched apart. They both looked up. A spiderweb of giant cracks had blossomed across the ceiling.

"It's going to cave in," Rover gasped.

"I totally didn't notice that," Slade scoffed. "Now get on!"

He climbed onto Slade's back without hesitation, and they tore across the slanted floor at blurring speed. They were nearly at the wide strip of window.

Another earsplitting screech. Rover looked up, and nearly passed out from panic. Spears of ceiling were falling right above them -- countless fields of refracting stalactites to pin down.

"Slade!" Rover screamed, and they veered sharply to the left.

A hill of crystal missed them, and they spun to the right, avoiding two others. The next one flew right into Slade's foot.

They tumbled, and Rover landed in a heap on the hard floor. Quickly, quickly. He forced himself to his knees and crawled towards Slade, watching as he yanked the shard from his foot. Just as Rover was about to help him up, Slade was thrown violently back down into the floor.

A larger shard, about the size of his torso, had stabbed him right through his back, sinking deep.

Without a moment's hesitation, Rover gripped both of his hands around the piece and pulled as hard as he could, ignoring the razor edges that sliced into his palms. Trying not to panic. Trying not to notice the blood that had seeped into his shoes.

"What are you doing?!" Slade snapped, trying to push him away but unable to do anything.

It was heavy. Really heavy. But Rover was sure he could do it.

"Get the fuck out of here now!"

He pulled harder, but another shock wave that resonated from the core shook him off his feet.

"Leave. Please."

Rover ignored Slade again, climbed back on his feet, braced himself, and pulled one last time with all his strength.

With a sickening crunch, the shard dislodged. Then with a final wave so violent that his vision vibrated into nothing but colours, the floor beneath gave and the world fell apart.

*
 

Copyright © 2011 Luc Rosen; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

While the idea of this story is interesting, it's just a little jumpy somehow and I get confused. It seems to move from one subject to another very quickly.

Link to comment
On 02/01/2014 09:49 AM, m.p. said:
While the idea of this story is interesting, it's just a little jumpy somehow and I get confused. It seems to move from one subject to another very quickly.
Thanks for the feedback : ) I wrote this story awhile ago so have realized that there were pacing problems.
Link to comment

At first the stories jump cut pacing created a compelling tension, but now it's starting to feel like key plot points are being avoided. The premise still drives me to finish but I have to admit I am floundering a bit and while I could just ignore it and say nothing, I feel your creativity deserves honest and constructive feedback.

Link to comment
On 09/19/2014 03:44 AM, Miles Long said:
At first the stories jump cut pacing created a compelling tension, but now it's starting to feel like key plot points are being avoided. The premise still drives me to finish but I have to admit I am floundering a bit and while I could just ignore it and say nothing, I feel your creativity deserves honest and constructive feedback.
Thanks for the feedback Miles! I agree, I think in retrospect the short sequences made the story sort of jagged in pacing, while not really informing the reader
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..