Jump to content
    Fishwings
  • Author
  • 1,288 Words
  • 38,480 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I'm Not From Earth - 28. Twenty Eight

t w e n t y e i g h t

At first, it was just the lights of the city that went out. Rover watched, stunned, as the light of each and every brightened window he could see snapped and vanished. Patterns of black enveloped the apartments and skyscrapers, like gigantic leather ribbons tying themselves over lamps. It was like a major power outage... but not quite.

Rover stared in awe as rows upon rows of bright traffic seemed to disappear right before his eyes, and it became so quiet that he could hear the collective gasp or scream from the people below. Even cold blue emergency lights in buildings died only moments after flaring up. And most magnificent and confusing of all, was the sky. The pearlescent moon and stars misted over and were veiled in a blanket of inky clouds, so thick that it allowed not a single thread of light through.

"What...?" Rover began, as he extended his arms forward in panic, hating the pitch darkness. Darkness so thick he couldn't see his hands inches from his eyes. His eyelids fluttered in panic, unsure of whether they were open or closed. Rover's chest clenched, and he was ready to take a step forwards, when he felt Slade wrap his arms tightly around him, preventing him from moving.

"Wait a moment," he whispered into Rover's ear. "Listen carefully."

Rover took a deep breath in, trying to calm himself. "To what?" he managed out.

"Do you feel it?"

Rover didn't at first. All there was was Slade beside him in the dark, but moments passed and Rover started to understand. Tugging at the edge of his mind was the weight of a mysterious, colossal craft and its many inhabitants, minds crackling like flames in his head. Their presence combined, no doubt about it, was far larger and far more powerful than the crashed spaceship that had sunken to the bottom of the earth back in the mountains.

"I do," Rover whispered, and he was terrified.

Terrified of what he would be seeing, of what could possibly happen that they had both not for a moment predicted. Even though he was wrapped in strong arms, he was still terrified of the dark and the number of things that could happen when no one was able to see anything. He was terrified for Slade and the number of things that could possibly go wrong. The number of things that contradicted Slade's calmness. Wild visions formed in Rover's head, mostly dramatic and childish fantasies of disfigured monsters crawling over the city and silver UFO plates hovering and terrorizing bystanders, but there was another image that tugged at the edge of his consciousness. One that soon shut out all his other thoughts, and filled his eyes with twisting lights and his ears with strange, static buzzes, one that spoke through to him with feelings and reassurance, with a strong, smothering voice, and he could do nothing but hold his bursting head in pain, his mind so overcome with feelings and sensations and colours...

"Rover."

As he forced his eyes open to the sound of Slade's voice, his mind emptied, froze over, and he heard another sound -- one that didn't come from within his head -- but one that seemed to fall straight from the sky. It was sharp but faint, its note as shocking as it was pure. For a moment, Rover thought it was the voice of an angel, but as it grew steadily to an earsplitting screech he knew it was not. Perhaps time had stopped, because what had happened next seemed to play ever so slowly in Rover' mind, although it must have taken only a few seconds.

The sky fell apart. Or rather, the dark clouds that sealed off the sky exploded, wisps of humidity swirling and rushing aside, the darkness all around ignited with light. Hovering down from heaven, was the ship.

And hell, was it a sight to behold, with a clear mantle that glowed as bright as the sun and the magnificent stretch of tendril-like designs that pulsed with the colours of the spectrum and all the shades in between. The sheer size of it, so large that it seemed to fill up the whole sky, brought Rover down to his knees, his head swimming with dizziness and song -- the strange melodies woven by the inhabitants within the crystal walls. He squinted through his lashes, pupils contracting painfully, but he could not tear his eyes away from the ship as it hovered lower and lower. The wind was violent and deafening, threatening to tear him off the roof, but Rover wasn't afraid. Not significantly, anyways. He knew that the only thing that stabbed at his heart at the moment was Slade.

But he had already taken a step forwards, his razor profile turned towards the symphony of whirling lights. The warmth in Rover's hands dissipated as his friend -- a piece of his heart -- pulled away, his back turned. Slade took another step, his foot hovering inches off the roof. A quick flash of green that were his eyes. His face was turned backwards for only a second, but it was a second long enough for his expression to ask, "Please come with me?"

It was in that second, as Rover gazed at his friend, his arms extended like wings, his skin blazing with a million colours, his eyes filled with so much resolve... that Rover was certain. Certain that there was no way Slade could belong here.

It was a second long enough for Rover to look down and shake his head a fraction to the left...

And that was enough. With a shuddering sigh that looked cruelly painful, Slade coiled himself, and with only a moment's hesitation, leapt powerfully into the air like a caged bird let out of its prison for the very first time.

With each building that he descended and ascended, his form became smaller and smaller as he followed the ship as it spun slowly west. With each landing that he made on concrete and brick, his bounds seemed to accelerate. And finally, with one last jump upwards, a flash of shocking blue light radiated from the centre of the ship, so bright that it forced Rover to the ground and enveloped Slade in a column of vividity...

And he was gone.

A majestic, metallic whirring rumbled through the air, shaking detritus from the cracks of pavement many stories below. It was so loud that it overrode the wind, but as soon as Rover thought that he was going to perish in the wake of the malignant sound, it was gone. The flashing crystalline ship was gone, the dark clouds were gone, and the power outage was gone. Back were the clear night skies; back were the bright city lights. Honks and ripples of startled traffic sped the stagnant flow of time that had possessed the world only moments ago.

Gone.

After awhile, Rover climbed to his feet, rubbing his bruised knees. He checked his heart beat. He counted his breaths. He listened to his thoughts, and he realized, with surprise, that he wasn't sad. He wasn't angry. He wasn't worried. He didn't feel lost.

Rover felt like he could take on anything in the world.

So he smiled to himself, and with a final look towards the winking stars, departed down the stairs wrought into the sides of the building, one step after the other. Each step he took was followed by the other faster, the thumps of shoe against metal lighter, his heart and body becoming more and more weightless until Rover was sure that he, too, was flying.

e n d

        *

Thanks for waiting so long guys! Again, my discussion thread is here http://www.gayauthor...not-from-earth/ so shout if you feel like you needa get something outta your system, or you can comment, I'll make sure to get back to you : ). Again, special thanks to Colin and MJ for editing + being awesome as y'all are, and thank you for reading!
Copyright © 2011 Luc Rosen; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awww that just doesn't seem the right ending. This is one time I would rather Rover not keep his feet on the ground. Please tell me that there is a sequel where Slade comes back for Rover!!. It can't end like this noooooooooo.

Link to comment
On 02/23/2013 04:05 PM, Daithi said:
Awww that just doesn't seem the right ending. This is one time I would rather Rover not keep his feet on the ground. Please tell me that there is a sequel where Slade comes back for Rover!!. It can't end like this noooooooooo.
Hi Daithi. Yes, I will be working on a sequel, and I am thinking of doing a major rewrite of this story as well, but it will be after I finish and post some of my other stories. Thank you for reading and taking the time to review : ) I think some others had qualms about this ending too haha.
Link to comment

Aww c'mon, still no sequel? :( You can't leave us hanging like this!

I really enjoyed the story and I'd love to read a sequel! I was totally expecting him to change his mind and leave the planet at the end. :-/

Great work! Keep writing!

Link to comment
On 01/29/2014 06:07 AM, Sammy Blue said:
Aww c'mon, still no sequel? :( You can't leave us hanging like this!

I really enjoyed the story and I'd love to read a sequel! I was totally expecting him to change his mind and leave the planet at the end. :-/

Great work! Keep writing!

Haha thanks!! Yeah many people weren't too happy with the outcome either. Sequel is on hold but is in the works. Thanks for reviewing Sammy Blue : )
Link to comment

I still can't believe it's over. Then again, I read it all in one night. I think this is one of The best human/legend (or urban legend) romances I've ever come across. Slade was amazingly powerful in a lot of senses but you made it clear that he was far from invincible. And the lesson behind the story is one of the best I've ever seen as I have been through situations that taught it to me. Also, you have such an awesome way to describe The characters, their feelings and surroundings that I had really vivid images in my mind while reading. That is something I really like in stories.

The ending you gave it, even though unexpected, showed how Roven manned up and it left me wondering how he'll make it through dealing with his father. You have an amazing talent and one more loyal fan. Keep up the fantastic writing. Sorry if my review is a bit messy but there were a lot of things I wanted to talk about.

PS: might I add that I found Slade irresistibly desirable? I bet it's not the first time you hear that but it's true.

Link to comment
On 02/11/2014 02:30 PM, arthurpprado said:
I still can't believe it's over. Then again, I read it all in one night. I think this is one of The best human/legend (or urban legend) romances I've ever come across. Slade was amazingly powerful in a lot of senses but you made it clear that he was far from invincible. And the lesson behind the story is one of the best I've ever seen as I have been through situations that taught it to me. Also, you have such an awesome way to describe The characters, their feelings and surroundings that I had really vivid images in my mind while reading. That is something I really like in stories.

The ending you gave it, even though unexpected, showed how Roven manned up and it left me wondering how he'll make it through dealing with his father. You have an amazing talent and one more loyal fan. Keep up the fantastic writing. Sorry if my review is a bit messy but there were a lot of things I wanted to talk about.

PS: might I add that I found Slade irresistibly desirable? I bet it's not the first time you hear that but it's true.

Thanks so much for the detailed review arthurpprado! I really appreciate it and I'm very glad that this story is being read even though I wrote it so long ago. I remember spending a lot of time creating the mood and scenery of the story so I'm happy you picked up on it. I'm really happy the message and the characters spoke out to you too : ) As a writer that really does bring me the most joy.
Link to comment

Wow! Tragically, beautifully, sad and an excellent ending though I was really wishing on a star for a joined HEA. Thank up you for sharing.

Link to comment

Tanks for the readingpleasure you gave.

I'm also looking forward to a sequel.

I hope you don't leave us hanging for to long ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/26/2014 08:42 PM, mb3 said:
Tanks for the readingpleasure you gave.

I'm also looking forward to a sequel.

I hope you don't leave us hanging for to long ;)

Thanks mb3! (WOW I CANT BELIEVE THIS IS STILL BEING READ LOL)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..