Jump to content
    Lugh
  • Author
  • 2,003 Words
  • 1,046 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Card Tales - 2. Tale 2

Required Elements:
1. a desert
2. two or more moons
3. set at night
4. some kind of oath or curse in a god's name
5. a badger
6. someone's headgear being blown off by wind
7. singing
8. a child under 5 years of age
9. mail
10. a dark secret

Cardanniel sat on his bedroll as far from the camp the others had made as possible without seeming to be separate of it. His donkey had made herself at home in the corral with the horses and his gear all seemed to be as he had left it. The roasted fowl had been succulent, even if a little crispy on the outside and raw against the bone. Definitely a step above the badger he had eaten three nights before. The camp settled down to sleep and the messenger sped across the heavens on its twice-nightly journey. Small and fast, it was believed to carry souls from this world to those beyond. Cardanniel wasn't sure if he believed it were true, but he had faith in other things that seemed to others to be just as peculiar.

As he watched the night sky, the death-bringer rose dark and heavy, low on the horizon. He breathed deeply and felt the energy change around him. Soon, enough of it would be rising above the horizon to affect those sensitive to its power and people would die. Cardanniel rose and separated himself from the others under the pretense of absolutions, and when he was alone, he knelt in supplication as was proper for one of his craft. "I honor you always," he whispered in the dark, "by the maiden's tears that flowed to the earth as the green man enjoyed her pleasure." He spat on the ground, having no other water with him. "By the mother's blood as she gave me birth," he pricked his thumb with his heart-dagger and pressed out a few drops along side the spit, "and by the elders who watch over me until I join the ancestors, I am your vengeance," he pressed his forehead into the wetness. "By Aglaia, I swear."

He rose again and wiped his face before returning to the others, who would not understand or accept him for who or what he was. Cardanniel knew his mentor was right about that at least. Being elvin was the least of his worries, for that they would only refuse him service or run him out of town; but for his training as a servant of Aglaia they would stone him to death if they knew. He took a deep breath, set his wards, and finally fell asleep.

With the morning came the life-giver and another circuit of the messenger. Cardanniel collected his donkey and went to check on the boy who still had his sword. "How are you feeling this fine day?"

"Much better father, thank you," he smiled and offered him a wrapped bundle. "This is yours."

Cardanniel took the bundle and added it to the items on the donkey. He could feel the power in the runes even through the cloth. "Thank you, I will treasure it always."

"Will you travel with us a ways?" the boy's master had come around the other side of the wagon to join them.

"I must go to the Traveler's Inn; I was expected there last night," Cardanniel explained, trying to get out of traveling with Fagan and the elvin boy.

"And we must go right past there," Fagan assured him. "Surely it will be safer for someone such as yourself to travel in a group."

Cardanniel sighed and accepted to do less would be out of character for the priest he was supposed to be, and that would not do. "Yes, it would be safer," he smiled at Fagan, "and I'm sure you wouldn't mind giving these tired feet of mine a rest as we travel."

Fagan scowled a little, but then nodded indicating Cardanniel should tie the donkey to the back of the wagon. Then Cardanniel climbed up and settled in with the elvin boy, whom he learned was called Kobe. It would be late afternoon before they arrived at the Traveler's Inn at the rate the wagon rode, and Cardanniel intended to get some more sleep. Kobe was not adverse to the idea either.

The rambling structure known as The Traveler's Inn sat at the crossroads of three major trade routes, boasting amenities such as mail, secure stables, bathhouses, entertainment, and prostitutes. As the first and last stop before entering or leaving the great desert that separated the five kingdoms from the mountains, it often saw a brisk trade when a caravan exited from the sands. Such was the case when Cardanniel finally arrived. Separating himself from Kobe and Fagan, he gathered his donkey and secured himself a room for the night, paying in copper coins for both his and his mount's accommodations.

Once he saw the beast settled and relieved of her load, Cardanniel headed up to his assigned sleeping space to secure his belongings before heading out among the throng. His room was as he expected: a straw stuffed mattress laid across knotted rope hung on a wooden frame, a wash stand with a chipped basin and pitcher of tepid water, a slit of a window, and not much else. The door was solid, though, and the linens clean; it would do. Slipping his sword back in its sheath and adjusting his cowl, he secured his room behind him as he left it and set wards along with a small physical tell to let him know if anyone entered in his absence, then he left the building the way he came, in silence.

In one of the squares, the group from the mountain caravan had set up trade with many exotic items. Cardanniel headed over to look at the things for sale or trade with the hope that the person he was supposed to meet had not left the group yet. As he wandered through he caught snatches of different songs coming from the various camps, each was as unique as the place where they originated. He looked up again in the direction of the mountains and his heart ached. It had been a little more than three years since he had last visited what was left of his family. Finally, he found the right wagon.

"May Meliae guide and protect you," Cardannial said softly to the young man near the wagon, "and Jashtet lead you to water so you may not thirst."

The young man turned around swiftly and the wind caught him in the face blowing off his scarf and revealing his silver-blond hair and delicately pointed ears. "They favor you to grant you what I would prefer to stay hidden," he scowled as he wrapped his head again, tighter.

Cardanniel chuckled. "It has been said they favor me. But the truth is I am theirs."

"You are the priest we are to meet."

Cardanniel nodded.

"Then you best go inside, they are waiting," he indicated the covered wagon.

"They are not staying in the Inn?"

"They couldn't chance it, you'll see. On with you now."

Cardanniel took a deep breath and stepped up on the wagon. Life-giver was very low in the sky, and he could already feel death-bringer's influence on his soul as he brushed the curtain aside uncertain at what he would find.

"Father?"

"Yes, my son?" Cardanniel said the words softly as he entered the darkness. The voice sounded familiar and when he dared to look at the face his heart nearly stopped beating. He knew this boy.

"My uncle sent us to this side of the desert for help. He said only a Priest on this side could help him."

"Help your uncle?" Cardanniel inquired trying not to let his emotions show.

"No, Father, my nephew," he indicated a small bundle of boy. "Everyone says he is demon spawn, but I know it can't be true. He just needs help."

"What has the child done to be labeled demon spawn?"

"Mostly he says there is another moon in the sky other than Messenger. Everyone knows there is only Messenger. Why would he say such a thing? And like now, he will not go out after dark. He don't want to be around too many people either. The further we are from the other people the better he feels."

"How old is he?" Cardanniel sat down on the pile of blankets the boy was hiding in.

"Almost four."

"And his name?"

"All of it?"

"What you generally call him will do."

"Cadrith"

Cardanniel nodded as he heard the name, it had a rightness to it. "Leave us now."

"But…"

"Do you want me to help Cadrith or not?"

"Yes, of course."

"Then leave us." The young man nodded and once they were alone Cardanniel drew the boy out from the cover. "You are certainly a surprise, Cadrith. You know you are right, there is a second moon, a large dark one called death-bringer."

The boy's eyes widened, "You see it too?"

"I do and I bet so did your papa. I can make it so it does not scare you so badly until you are old enough to understand its power if you want."

The boy looked at him skeptically, "Will it hurt?"

"Only a little."

"Did you do it?"

"When I was about your age, I did."

Cadrith looked at him and nodded. Cardanniel poked his head out the curtain and spoke to the young man, who looked at him oddly, then rummaged through their belongings to find the small dagger Cadrith's mother had sent for him. "What is it for, his mother was very fussy over it's making."

"His mother is an intelligent woman. I cannot explain. Do not disturb us no matter what you see or hear." Cardanniel told him then returned to Cadrith. "This is a very special dagger, you must never play with it, but wear it with you always. Do you think you can remember that?"

Cadrith nodded.

"Lay back, close your eyes, and think of some pleasant things. It will only hurt for a moment."

Cadrith did as he was told and Cardanniel bowed his head over the boy. He kissed the blade then whispered the words of magic. Cadrith lay frozen in time.

" Aglaia, before you is an offering of flesh and blood. A soul that can seek and be used for your vengeance. I offer him to you." Cardanniel then plunged the dagger into his son's heart. The soul separated from the body as it would in death and the dark goddess took it for safe keeping until the day Cadrith would need it again. Then she caressed Cardanniel's cheek where the tears flowed. "Do not weep, my warrior, she wanted your son. He will serve in his time, until then he is safe."

"Thank you," he whispered as he pulled the blade back out releasing the spell. Cardith cried out in pain, but all that was left to mark the occasion was a scar. "It's over, Cardith. The death-bringer will not bother you any more until you are able to bear her touch." He looped the chain that was with the dagger over the boy's head and had him get dressed.

"What happened?"

"You were kissed by the goddess… right here," he pointed to the scar on the boy's chest. "She healed you, but you have to wear your dagger close to your heart forever."

Cadrith nodded and pulled on his clothing.

"So do you want to go outside and see your uncle?"

Cadrith nodded, grinned, and led the way. The two men had been pacing outside the wagon waiting nervously. When the boy emerged, they ran to him and hugged him. "What did you do to him?"

Cadrith laughed, "He had the goddess kiss me."

Cardanniel smiled. "He is not demon spawn but chosen of the goddess to serve her. He wears her mark and her token. When he is old enough send him to the temple for training."

"I don't understand…"

"Ziran, not many children are born to your people who can bear the kiss of the goddess, Cadrith is very special. Now if you don't mind I must seek my bed," with that Cardanniel left them.

Copyright © 2010 Lugh; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..