Jump to content

A Hatching in Southern 1. Ninth Pass Pern

   (6 reviews)

It's the first Hatching at the newly formed Southern Weyr. A group of candidates ponder over whether they will be lucky enough to Impress.

©1967-2022 Ann McCaffrey, Todd McCaffrey, Gigi McCaffrey; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2020 Mawgrim; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (8 members)

  • Action Packed 1
  • Addictive/Pacing 5
  • Characters 7
  • Chills 2
  • Cliffhanger 1
  • Compelling 4
  • Feel-Good 4
  • Humor 1
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 0
  • Unique 2
  • World Building 8

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 3,824 Words
    • 2,700 Views
    • 12 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

raven1

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

This is a wonderfully written prequel, one of three, to Gone Away, Gone Ahead, It introduces some important characters and events that will be in that book.  This short story is a sweet tale of the young men who have been selected to try to impress with a new clutch of dragons.  A brief tale, but warm and compelling.

  • Like 3
Link to review
centexhairysub

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Going back and adding reviews to this series.  This was the first one from Mawgrim.  I thought the writing was very good and the pacing and characters were excellent.  I have always loved the Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCafferty and this does justice to that.  

There are subtle differences but that is okay; Mawgrim needs to find a way they feel comfortable going forward with this.  Very well done, and can't wait to share the rest with you all moving forward.

  • Like 3
Link to review
Will Hawkins

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

As a  new reader in this series, I found some of the terms confusing, but the concept of attending a birthing was well handled and made more and more sense as I read on.

Response from the author:

Thank you for the review. If you haven't read any of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider books, you might find it useful to read my 'World of Pern' which explains a lot of the history and terminology used in the series. 

  • Like 3
Link to review
Lutheros

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

A well written and fast paced story. I think the writer should go for a longer version of it with multiple chapters.

Response from the author:

I may very well do that once I have a few other writing projects completed.

  • Like 4
Link to review
drsawzall

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Fantastic, well paced, written and superbly portrayed! Well worth the time to read...do so NOW!!

  • Like 5
Link to review
Carlos Hazday

· Edited by Carlos Hazday

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

I read and reread Anne McCaffrey's PERN series years ago. Her final books were co-written with her son who, after her death, released a couple more books under his name. The dragon drought is over as far as I'm concerned. An easy enough story for newcomers to discover the world of PERN, it should delight long-time fans. I found it to be extremely well written and nicely paced. I STRONGLY recommend A Hatching in Southern.

  • Like 4
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..