Jump to content

Ten Years After

   (10 reviews)
Genres: Science Fiction
Sub-genres: Soft Sci-Fi, Dystopian

In the year 2050, Ben and Tony are due to celebrate their ten year anniversary of escape from a totalitarian England. But their holiday plans are disrupted when Ben is persuaded to help two newly-arrived refugees avoid recapture.

Mentions of conversion therapy and non-consensual sex.
Copyright © 2022 Mawgrim; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (11 members)

  • Action Packed 11
  • Addictive/Pacing 11
  • Characters 10
  • Chills 7
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 11
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 1
  • Unique 6
  • World Building 6

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

W_L

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

A haunting dystopian story with the background of a far-right government in the UK filled with repressive laws and gay conversion centers reminiscent of Nazi Germany. It's action-packed and dark, but there are still good people struggling to help others escape the hellscape. 

It's a reminder of what we can devolve back into if we allow it. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to review
Albert1434

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

A dark future seemingly hope and there is hope! I loved it and sure you will as well! 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to review
raven1

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Exquisitely written short story of a sad future that could be the world of our children and grandchildren.  It is a powerful statement of what can happen if we do not unite to fight for the future of life on our planet.  I reminds us that human rights need to be defended with vigilance and determination.  It also reminds us that we will lose much if we do not take individual responsibility to protect those rights as well as protect life on our world.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
Headstall

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

This well written thrill ride is heavy reading, but it is not without positives. The author shows us a dystopian near future than I believe will look frightening familiar to new readers. But there are deft touches showing the hope that exists within it. There are still places of refuge, and good people who fight for decency and change. You will see the earth cry in this story, but I believe it sheds tears already as we drain her resources and waste her gifts. A reckoning is coming, and Mawgrim shows us what that may well look like. I suggest everyone read this, and weigh the costs of doing nothing. Cheers!

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to review
Carlos Hazday

   4 of 5 members found this review helpful 4 / 5 members

The author skillfully blends current issues to create a dystopian society which is quite believable. The consequences of climate change are evident in the landscape descriptions and the intolerance of extremist views leads to suffering. That many were seduced by those beliefs and eventually imposed their will on others is a call to action. Vigilance instead of apathy can prevent a world like the one described in Ten Years After.

Even in the darkness, there are good people. The protagonist is still fighting and helping those who are persecuted. Quite a story and definitely worth reading.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
drsawzall

· Edited by drsawzall

   4 of 5 members found this review helpful 4 / 5 members

A realistic take of what our future could be, if we and others, stay on the sidelines and fail to participate in the world, country, county and locally, by failing to be engaged and vote. To have those tough conversations and confront the lies that surround us 24/7 x 365.

Keep telling yourself, it can't happen here!!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Link to review
Gary L

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Fascinating.  One comment about possibilities- when I lived in UK I was a “wet Tory”. When I came to Spain the nearest equivalent was the post Communist left!   There is a great series on Netflix about what life could be like with a new terrible dictatorship, The Wall.  
this short story captures a fear which all democrats should have. If we do nothing then we are to blame.  
thought-provoking. Well done!

  • Like 4
  • Love 5
Link to review
Mrsgnomie

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

It’s always eerie to read a story that should be fiction but could easily become our reality. Loved it regardless. High intensity and action packed with a BANG. Great writing!

  • Like 3
  • Love 7
Link to review
Mancunian

· Edited by Mancunian

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

A frightening view of what the future could hold, it makes you think about what some want for our future both politically and climate-wise. Read and think hard about the type of future you want.

  • Like 3
  • Love 6
Link to review
centexhairysub

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

A terrifying look at what we could be facing unless enough people wake up to the real danger here in the US; even though the story took place in Europe.  

Well written and the pacing and character development was so well done.

Full of adventure and real genuine fear; a dash of heroism and revenge at the end.

  • Like 2
  • Love 6
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..