Jump to content

Culled

   (3 reviews)
Sub-genres: Drama, Soft Sci-Fi

They lived happily together. And then something ripped them apart.

Copyright © 2018 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (3 members)

  • Action Packed 0
  • Addictive/Pacing 1
  • Characters 3
  • Chills 1
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 2
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 1
  • Tearjerker 1
  • Unique 2
  • World Building 3

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 9,113 Words
    • 3,541 Views
    • 48 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Dan South

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

When everything is perfect what could go wrong? Who could deviate from perfection engineered? Humans. Human beings are inherently flawed.

Maybe the deviation that is same sex love is almost bred out of us 400 years in the future but maybe, just maybe….Love is still love. 

A quick and reaffirming read, this tale, reminds us that love is love and we will go to the ends of the earth, the galaxy, to protect those we love. 

Love is love. How beautiful.

Response from the author:

Thanks very much for your very kind words about a difficult dystopian tale. Love is indeed love, strong enough to make and unmake worlds. It’s a lesson our modern-day puritan brothers and sisters seem unable to learn.

  • Love 1
Link to review
vonfoto

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Another wonderful story. Cute characters. Delightfully imaginative future setting — albeit rather dystopian, but that makes it even more interesting

Thank you!

Response from the author:

Thank you so very much for your encouraging words. The dystopian aspects of this world did not come easily to my pen; I struggled with them. I’m glad you enjoyed reading this story! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to review
Carlos Hazday

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Four hundred years in the future, Kee and Loy live in a technological, repressive society. Medical science has advanced to the point DNA scans can detect deviations from the norm, and undesirable mutations can either be cured or culled from the population. When one of the protagonists exhibits undesirable traits, the other one races to discover a way to save him.

 

A society where the powerful enjoy privileges while others struggle to get by may sound familiar. Mr. Owens' extrapolation of current conditions is not too far-fetched, prejudice has been around as long as humanity has. But so has the impetus to fight back against injustice. That's what the protagonists do, leading to a surprise ending.

 

Aside from the implied exhortation to never give up, the author also reminds us our current world, with whatever problems it may have, is not as bad as some of the alternatives. This is a well-written story you will enjoy reading. Cheering at the end is optional.

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..