Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,970 Words
  • 698 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Country Retreat - 53. Changes Ahead

“Honest Sergeant, we thought he was trying to get away from us, and that he was faking the injury and he was resisting arrest,” I heard one of the officers who had shoved me into the van say, “Really, and the odd position of his arm was no indication to you that it was dislocated? You have a few questions to answer your self Senior Constable,” another officer said in response. “Stop!” I said in a soft voice, and the paramedic stopped the stretcher and the Barrister approached me.

“What is it Oscar, what do you want to say?” he asked me and as clearly as possible even though I was still in a lot of pain I replied, “I asked if I was under arrest, and he refused to tell me. I asked for a lawyer and I was never cautioned, just had my arm twisted behind me after warning the officer that he was hurting my injured arm before it popped out and he shoved me into the back of the van,” I said to him.

“Were there any witnesses?” the Barrister asked me, “Yes, at least half a dozen students and a couple of staff,” I replied before I was wheeled out of the police station and into an ambulance, where I was given so medication to ease the pain, and soon I was in a deep sleep free of pain. When I woke up the next time, I was in a hospital room, attached to several wires and tubes, and my arm was feeling heavy due to a plaster cast on my arm, I was also surprised to see Gran and Gramps sitting next to my bed.

“Hello, young man, have we been in the wars again?” Gran said to me when she realised that I was awake, and I chuckled at this then groaned as I was in pain. “Are you ok?” Gramps asked me, “Yes, just hurts when I move, what happened? The last thing I remember was the police station,” I replied. “Well, you won't have to worry about them any more, any further enquiries have been dropped due to the unlawful behaviour of those two officers,” Gran said to me.

“Hunter showed us and the Barrister the video footage he recorded of how you were treated at the campus, and we may take some action on that matter. Firstly for trying to detain you without cautioning you and also causing you harm and not taking you to the hospital for medical treatment. The two officers concerned have been suspended from duties until a full investigation has taken place, with the senior officer demoted due to his actions or lack of action,” Gramps said to me.

“When they first arrived at the campus, they said they wanted to question me about the accident. Can you get Hunter to go through the box of stuff from my old vehicle that is in the garage, where he should find the Dashcam from the old car, get Hunter to download all the footage and give it to the Barrister to review, as that will show what happened at the accident?” I asked my Grandparents. “I will get onto it in the morning. In the meantime, we need to think about getting you back in Adelaide where you are closer to friends and not out in the middle of nowhere,” Gramps said to me, and after a few moments of thinking, I nodded in agreement.

“That is good to hear, as Antonio has returned home to the other side of the Gulf where he has managed to get a good job, and he is closer to his family, and I hear that Giles is missng you greatly. Maybe this new friend of yours – Hunter, can move with you back to Adelaide, to assist with keeping the house in order, which we have seen and very much approve of,” Gran said to me.

“What about my investments here in this region? I have my home at Allendale East and a holiday Cottage near Racecourse Bay?” I asked, “Yes, we have seen both properties, they are wonderful and we think you should keep them as an investment and lease them out on a long-term basis,” Gramps suggested. Where is Hunter? Can I talk to him?” I asked. “He is at Uni today, but he said he would be calling in to see you after his last tutorial,” Gran replied.

After some more discussions, I began to get tired, and Gran and Gramps let me rest, and I was soon asleep again. When I did wake up next, Hunter was next to my bed reading a gardening magazine. “Hey mate, anything interesting in the mag?” I asked, as he jumped up and stood near my bed. “I am glad that you are alright, I was very worried about you, especially when…” Hunter said, not finishing what he was saying.

“I am just grateful that I have you with me to assist when I was in trouble,” I replied, “Yeah, about that. Because my batteries were low, and there was no one to translate, it took me a while to get in contact with Giles. I had to go to admin and eventually convince them to pay attention to what I was trying to tell them.

After a lot of writing on a pad, I got the message through to them, that Giles needed to be contacted urgently, who then contacted your Gramps who arranged for the Barrister to check on you at the police station. I am so sorry for the delay in getting you help,” Hunter said to me sounding quite upset.

“You did great mate, and I thank you for all the effort you did to get that help that I needed. Now, I have an important question to ask you. I have been told to return to Adelaide, where it isn’t so remote for me, and I would like you to join me, as my housekeeper, plus I will arrange for you to transfer your studies to the Adelaide campus,” I asked Hunter, “Yes please, as long as I am not a big burden on you,” Hunter replied happily. “That is good to hear, but I must warn you, that in Adelaide, I only have a townhouse, which we share with Giles, so there is not much of a garden, but there is a heated swimming pool in the backyard,” I said to Hunter.

“A pool? Awesome. When do we move?” Hunter said to me, “Well, I presume we are still in the Semester break period, so if we can get organised, we can get us both transferred to the Adelaide Campus and quickly pack up and drive back to Adelaide, which is a five-hour long drive,” I replied. “What about your home and the cottage?” Hunter asked me, “I will be leasing them out, and I hope they will take great care of your beautifully kept garden,” I replied, “I bloody well hope so. It will be sad to leave Allendale East, I have enjoyed living there,” Hunter responded.

“I agree with you mate, but I have to respect my grandparent’s wishes, which are to return to Adelaide, so it has to be that way I am afraid,” I answered. “Understood. It will be nice to be a lot further away from my Nasty step-father, even if I will be a long way from Mum in care, but from the last update I received, when I was there last week is that she doesn’t have much longer before she passes,” Hunter said sadly.

“What about your home, is there anything there that we need to collect and take with us?” I asked, and Hunter shook his head no. “It is his property, Mum and I have never had too many belongings as we moved around a lot when I was younger, and anything I didn’t take with me when I was kicked out, probably ended up at the rubbish tip,” Hunter responded. “I am sorry to hear that. Make sure you keep in touch with the Carehome, so that we can arrange for you to come back to attend her funeral,” I suggested.

“I have been, and Mum has already pre-arranged all of that stuff, so we can have the funeral in Adelaide if need be, so I don’t have to come back,” Hunter informed me. “Do you have my mobile phone? The last time I saw it was when I placed it in the vehicle before the police accosted me,” I asked, “Yes, I have it with me, just in case you need it. Also, your Gran and Gramps are flying back home tomorrow morning,” Hunter said to me.

“Yes, I expected they would be since I am in recovery mode now,” I said as Hunter handed me my phone and I dialled a number. “Hey, have you heard the latest news?” I asked when Giles answered his mobile, “Yes mate, you are coming back to Adelaide by orders,” Giles replied and I chuckled, “Yeah, I guess they are orders eh! Anyway, once I have arranged the relocation of mine and Hunter’s studies back to Adelaide, and we have packed up, we will be on our way, once I have escaped this place,” I said to my good friend who laughed.

“Escaped eh! Should I notify the hospital staff there, of your escape plans?” Giles asked me, and this time I laughed until the pain forced me to stop, “Ow, that hurt. Stop laughing. There are still ten days of semester holidays remaining, so we should be in Adelaide on the weekend before the second semester begins,” I replied. After speaking to Giles I contacted the TAFE and Uni in Mount Gambier, to announce my resignation from my work and also to arrange the transfer of my studies back to Adelaide.

I was on the phone to the Real Estate agent when Gran and Gramps arrived, and they listened in to the conversation, as I made arrangements for the house in Allendale East to be leased out, and the cottage in Racecourse Bay also to be leased. Hunter left my room to go and get a bite to eat, while my grandparents were visiting, and after a while, Hunter sent me a text to say that he was waiting by the vehicle to take my grandparents back to the house and that he would come and see me at lunchtime tomorrow.

After Gran and Gramps had left after saying goodbye, and me wishing them a safe trip back home to WA, I felt very tired, so I closed my eyes and I was soon fast asleep again. Two days later, I was finally released from the hospital and as Hunter was wheeling the wheelchair to the car, a police officer with a high rank approached us.

“Are you Oscar Q Kingston, of William Street Allendale East?” the officer asked me. “Yes, I am he, how may I assist you?” I replied cautiously. “I am the District Superintendent of the SA Police, I have come to officially apologise to you for the way you were treated that resulted in you being hospitalised. The Senior Constable in the matter has been dismissed from the police service and is facing possible charges of Assault causing bodily harm.

The other officer has been transferred back to Adelaide, where he will be required to do additional training, and he will have a note of his employment records about the matter. We have a copy of the video footage taken by your friend here, as well as security camera footage from the college, that shows everything that happened, and you may be required to attend court to give a victim impact statement,” the senior officer said to me.

Copyright March 2024 All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 7
  • Love 20
  • Wow 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

An interesting chapter @quokka, that seems to be wrapping up Oscar's all too brief stay in Mount Gambier and Allendale East areas. Unfortunate that the accident and horrible treatment by police in the aftermath have resulted in Oscar leaving what could have been a remarkably successful new career in providing counselling services, including in Auslan. At least his 'rescue' of Hunter is a shining example of that work.

As Oscar returns to Adelaide (at Gran and Gramps insistence) to continue his recovery and resume studies at Uni there, he  continues to look out for Hunter, bringing him along both as housekeeper for himself and Giles, and transferring Hunter's continuing education to Uni SA.  (As well as going back to see his ailing Mum in Care before she passes). 

As Hunter wheels Oscar out of hospital towards the car, a 'visitor' arrives and approaches them, (conveniently just as there are minimal witnesses around); a police officer with a high rank.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLB09_JhLIlTvVolthDTS

“Are you Oscar Q Kingston, of William Street Allendale East?” the officer asked me. “Yes, I am he, how may I assist you?” I replied cautiously.

“I am the District Superintendent of the SA Police, I have come to officially apologise to you for the way you were treated that resulted in you being hospitalised". No doubt instructed by SA State Officials, (after having been 'served" a notice of intent to sue, by Oscar's solicitor?) to conclude this 'issue'. Hopefully Hunter's phone was recording again? But for SA Police this 'case' is far from "10-19" closed, and certainly not "Done and Dusted". 

In the meantime, life shifts to Adelaide. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..