Jump to content

Bodark Creek

   (2 reviews)
Sub-genres: Comedy Modern, Drama

Bodark Creek is a small, former mill town, north of Dallas and close to the Oklahoma border.  Starting in 1908, Addy Bronner Braden spends most of her very long life there, surrounded by her large, close family.  She loves them, leads them, and depends on them.

There is one gay person in this book – my husband.  That makes sense, since the book is based on one half of his family tree.  But he only turns up at the very end and as a visitor.  And that about defines the relationship between gay people and this part of his family.

The book is also fiction because, although we know roughly where people were and approximately when, most of the details of their lives have been lost.  A couple of story fragments have survived, but even those are built up on here.  And there's a lot of the voices of Harper Lee, Lillian Hellman, and Truman Capote.
This will publish on Fridays, for the next year.  As usual, enjoy.
2021 by Richard Eisbrouch

Story Recommendations (2 members)

  • Action Packed 0
  • Addictive/Pacing 1
  • Characters 2
  • Chills 0
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 0
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 0
  • Unique 1
  • World Building 1

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

pvtguy

  

This is a wonderful story of a young girl through her life in a mill town that is also rural.  The changes that take place from the Great Depression to World War II, to life over the hundred years of her existence, it is most relatable in so many ways to those of us who grew up in small towns that had booming industries which then faded.  Through it all, she is the pillar of strength for her family. 

Response from the author:

As I've probably told you repeatedly, thanks for reading along.  It sometimes helped to guide my thoughts about the book.

Hope all's well and continues to be.

Rich

Link to review
AlexLittel

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Interesting story.  I come from two very large families and so can identify with Addy.  It's very much like sitting and talking  with one of the family elders.  Good read.

Response from the author:

Thank you very much for this.  Greatly appreciated.  Hope it will attract some readers who are interested in the not-so-distant past.

Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..