Jump to content
    Sendraguy
  • Author
  • 2,444 Words
  • 658 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Watch - 1. Chapter 1

Sir Archie's done this journey countless times before, so, apart from the storm raging tonight should be no different, should it?

THE WATCH

The old man paid the cab driver, picked up his case then disappeared into the gloom of Euston railway station. Taking a paper from the news stand, he walked to the platform and found his carriage with all the ease of one who had done so many times before. As he made his way towards the welcoming warmth of his first class compartment, a voice called out behind him,

‘Evening Sir Archie, dreadful weather isn’t it?

‘It certainly is Ronnie. And how are you tonight?’

‘I’m very well, sir. Would you like your cocoa now, or should I wait a wee while?’

‘Oh, I think I’ll settle in first’

The old politician entered the compartment and prepared for the long night ahead. All around him the cavernous roof of the railway station boomed under the assault of wind and rain.The journey to Scotland was one he regularly made, and, dire weather excepted, tonight was no different. As the train set out on its 400 mile journey Sir Archibald drew the curtains and settled back in his armchair to read his paper. The headline read ‘WAR WITH GERMANY MORE CERTAIN’ In no time at all the old man fell into a fitful sleep.

After some time there came a rap on the door.

‘Sir, it’s your cocoa’

The attendant entered, and set down the tray with its steaming beverage and biscuits; it was done with all the ceremony appropriate to premier service aboard one of the finest trains of the London Midland and Scottish Railway. Ronnie Wilson was 21 but seemed younger. His frail body bore all the hallmarks of poverty and neglect, an image his smart uniform was unable totally to dispel. His skin was sallow and his teeth in poor condition. But it was the eyes! Sad grey eyes sunk deep in that haunted face. Sir Archibald Mackintosh was familiar with all the staff on the sleeper trains but Ronnie was his favourite. The elderly Member of Parliament’s constituency lay to the north of Glasgow and was home to wealthy landowners and farmers. But he was all too aware that, within the place they called ‘The second city of the Empire’ were vast areas of poverty and wretchedness. He studied the young man for a few moments and thought how fine he might have looked had circumstances willed it.

‘How are you doing, lad?’

‘Och, no’ bad’

‘You look tired'

They both laughed at the obviousness of this. Ronnie’s nights belonged to the railway company.

‘Are we at Crewe yet?’

‘No, Sir; in about thirty minutes I think’

‘What time is it?’

Sir Archie's own watch was packed away in his overcoat, on the overhead rack.

‘Just a second sir, I’ll find out’

The old politician was bemused that the attendant had no timepiece. Surely the company must equip its employees with these things? Ronnie re-appeared at the door of the compartment, gasping for breath. Triumphantly he held up a small alarm clock that he’d got from the guard’s van, and displayed the face.

‘Will there be anything else, Sir?’

A polite smile and shake of the head was his answer. Sir Archie looked out of the window unsure if he would sleep further. How could anyone sleep in times like this? He glanced at the newspaper lying on the chair. Wasn’t it now clear there would be another world conflict, more terrible even than the last? Had not that been the whole purpose of the debate in parliament this evening? Just then his attention was diverted by the express's arrival at Crewe. The major junction hummed with activity; night and bad weather made little difference here. And the mail still had to be dealt with whether or not passengers slept! The train’s locomotive was detached then rumbled off towards its shed. Two fresh locomotives, coupled together took over. The guard shot a glance at the steam engines and their crews.The loco driver returned a grim smile.

‘The shed master said we’d better have two on tonight if we have any chance of getting up Shap’.

The guard knew exactly what he meant. The trip wasn’t going to be easy. Presently the train resumed its journey, heading North, through Preston, and Lancaster, and into much worse weather. At first the two powerful locomotives made light work of their heavy train, but before long the weather began to take its toll. The driver of the lead engine peered out into the blackness of the night trying desperately not to miss any signal. He’d be glad when they were finally at Carlisle!

------------------------------------

Sir Archibald paced the corridor, looking anxious. The other passengers appeared to have settled down for the night. The attendant re-appeared,

‘More cocoa and biscuits, Sir?’

Several minutes later Ronnie was back with the cocoa. After he’d put down the tray, he turned to the old man,

‘Are ye warm enough, sir? I’ve a blanket back by if yer in need o’ it. It’s snow outside the noo’

The old man was touched.

‘Thank you, I’m quite warm. Now, I’ve something for you, lad. I’d like you to have this’

He handed the young man a small felt purse. Ronnie took from it a silver pocket watch and chain. He held the watch, stared at it for a moment then replied,

‘Och, I cannae, sir. No.’

The old man held his wrist gently and added,

‘Oh but I insist. I have other watches. I realise this is engraved with my name, but if it doesn’t bother me then it shouldn’t bother you. Mind it’ll want winding.’

The boy held the watch, staring at it fixedly. His dark sleepless eyes seemed to show neither reaction nor emotion. But how he stared!
Then, releasing his wrist from the old man’s grip he put his arms around Sir Archie’s shoulders and drew him tightly. During this display of affection the old man’s inflexible Victorian upbringing disposed him to remain stiff, but he sensed every bit of its genuineness. And he could tell the boy was trembling. In mock remonstration, he pushed Ronnie away from him,

‘Go on with you! Now, I’m going to try to sleep, please see I’m not disturbed, if possible’

‘Yes sir, certainly, and thanks a million for the watch’

The door slid closed and the elderly man bowed his head to pray, as was his habit. He thought about the attendant, the lad whose young life had already been blighted by poverty and hardship. If there were to be another war Ronnie would almost certainly be called up, and maybe that would be a better option for him. No! Banish such foolish thoughts; how could that possibly be? The boy was bright. How else had he achieved the position of attendant so soon in his career? With these thoughts, and others too complex to unravel the old man fell into a deep sleep. The train thundered ever northwards into the mountains of Westmorland and blizzard conditions, both firemen toiling to keep the fires fed with coal. The great bank that is Shap Fell lay ahead. Even on a fine day this is an ascent that demands the best an engine crew can give, but on this night snow was piling high, covering signals, track and structures. In the appalling conditions both enginemen leant out of their cabs facing the stinging snow, vainly trying to make out signals. Finally the form of a semaphore could be seen obstinately signalling STOP, but it was too late. The lead loco driver, his body frozen in horror applied the brakes fully, but there was nothing he could do to stop the loco behind him. He was powerless. The mighty express, 500 tons of steel and humanity rounded the curve and both crews realised the ghastly truth. There, directly before them was a stranded freight train, motionless and fatal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 


‘What happened’

The nurse tucked in the bedsheets as though she was binding a fatally slashed limb,

‘You’ve had a terrible experience but you’re going to be all right.’

‘Where am I?’

‘Kendal infimary’

The nurse fussed about for a few moments more then left. The old man eased himself free of the sheets and gazed at the other beds. The room was dimly lit and quiet. He leant back on his pillow, shut his eyes and seconds later he was once more asleep. How long he slept this time he knew not, and when he re-awoke the ward had quite a different atmosphere. There was noise, bustle, and normality. Sir Archibald had hardly sat up when a police constable approached him.

‘Sir Archibald Mackintosh? I’m constable Ruddock. How are you sir? I’m pleased to say we’ve managed to secure your cases and private papers from the wreckage. I’ve taken care of it’

There was smugness in the officer’s behaviour that repelled the old Scot,

‘I’ll settle for thanking God and those who helped save me that I’m still alive’

The policeman was unabashed,

‘And I’ve got this for you’

He produced from his inside pocket a silver watch and chain.

‘I think this is yours’

The old man gasped. He drew back from the watch refusing to touch the dreadful object. The policeman laid it on the bedside table.

‘Where did you get that?’

The officer was not pleased at the way his various endeavours were being received.

‘Well, fortunately for you we found it on the person of one of the crew. He must have stolen it from you on the train. I thought you’d be glad to get it back. I don’t see how it could have done him any good anyway with your name on it’

‘And this crew member, how is he? Is he….?’

‘Oh, he died from his injuries. The odd thing is he had the watch in his hand ’

By now the sun was streaming in through the hospital window, testament to how mundane normality always succeeds even the most hellish of nights . The old man could not speak. He waved the constable away, hearing none of the protests of indignation from his unwelcome visitor. And when he was alone he wept.


Some time later the nurse returned, stoically ignoring her old patient’s red eyes and tear stained cheeks.

‘You’ve another visitor’

She smiled, introducing a pleasant looking woman. Sir Archie remained silent as the woman sat awkwardly at his bedside.

‘I live at the farm, over where it happened’

There was a pause which seemed to last forever then Sir Archie asked,

‘How bad is it, how many?’

‘Over a hundred, so far. Folk were covered in snow before they could be found and attended to’

The old man sank back.

‘And did you find me?’

‘Yes’

‘Then I must thank you from the bottom of my heart’

‘Oh anyone would do what we did. And you know, what really saved you was that you were wrapped in a thick woollen first aid blanket. Nobody knows how that came about.’

‘Did everyone else in my carriage perish?’

‘Yes, I’m pretty sure they did. The sleepers came off worst. What with the cold, you know’

‘When did it happen?’

‘Oh, now that I can tell you. My husband gets up at four on the dot. And I make him a cup of tea. We’d just got up when it happened. That’s how we got there so soon. Not long after four’

Sir Archie picked up his watch from the table. He checked the time. It read 4.22 but was stopped. He clasped the timepiece to his chest and shut his eyes. The farmer’s wife quietly wished him well and withdrew. The old man’s mind was swimming: his body had survived marvellously the ordeal but his spirit was broken. The images of the night revisited him remorselessly; the watch, the policeman, the blanket and most of all Ronnie Wilson’s gaunt face and deep, sad eyes. All was unfairness and pain, suspicion and cruelty, horror and death.

The old bachelor recalled the moment, literally only hours earlier when Ronnie had embraced him. Years of repression had forbidden the response he ached to return. For the most fleeting of moments he’d wanted to hug the young man till the breath left him. This was the young man he’d always wanted to help, and now he was dead, beyond all help,words and hope. He began to shake uncontrollably.

--------------------------------------

‘Sir, Sir, your cab is here. It’s nearly ten o’clock’

Sir Archibald forced open eyes that seemed glued down. It is that sensation of being awakened that is so unwelcome as to feel almost like pain. As his eyes grew accustomed to the light he made out the lavish interior of the gentlemen’s club that was so familiar to him. He blinked confusedly at the brandy glass in his right hand, its bowl reflecting the flames of a welcome fire burning in the grate. Sir Archie looked up blankly at the waiter who was leaning over trying to rouse him.

‘Your cab Sir Archibald, for Euston station. It’s here. I took the liberty of ordering it to come a little early’

The politician was bewildered,

‘Why’

‘Oh the weather sir, haven’t you heard? It’s dreadful enough here in town but we understand that it’s snowing in the north, very heavily. You did tell me how important it was that you catch your train tonight’

Sir Archibald paused trying to organise his thoughts.

‘Oh dear, I seem to have had a bad dream, too many brandies’

Rather unsteadily the old man was escorted to the door of the club and his waiting cab. As the vehicle made its way through the rain soaked streets of London the old man called to the cabbie.

‘Dreadful weather?’

The other grunted.

‘Have you done any trips to Euston tonight?’

The driver acknowledged that he had done several.Taking a deep breath the old man continued,

‘And are the trains running well enough under the circumstances?’

‘Oh yes, as far as I know. What time’s your train leave?

‘Ten o’clock’

‘Oh you’ll be there in plenty of time’

As they pulled into Euston Station Sir Archie tried to banish irrational thought. He half hoped Ronnie Wilson would not be on the train and his place taken by someone else. The old man grabbed a newspaper and made his way onto the platform. There was no-one at the carriage door. Oh, that was good. He climbed aboard and made his way down the narrow corridor, then,

‘Evening Sir Archie, dreadful weather isn’t it?’

The old man’s heart beat wildly. He suppressed an urge to rummage for his watch, the watch that was in his overcoat, that he’d forgotten to wind, that had stopped at 4.22 that afternoon.

------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Copyright Dave McGee writing as 'Sendraguy' 2009 all characters ficticious.
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..