Jump to content
    shadowgod
  • Author
  • 6,542 Words
  • 6,684 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Living in Surreality - 1. Chapter 1

chapter 1:
: edited by viv :

Oak Meadow, a serene swath of earth nestled in the rolling hills of inland southern California. The original township, founded in 1885, was little more than a pit stop along the pony express. Two buildings stood nestled in a remote valley surrounded by hills covered with sturdy oak trees.


It didn't take long for the quiet hamlet to transform into a thriving town. First through agriculture, then a mining conglomerate that decided they could make a profit on the granite rock that made up the geology of the hills that stood guard around Oak Meadow.


The quarry, however, closed business down in the late 1960's leaving the town, and what remained of its economy, to the wolves. The worst fears of the city's leaders didn't come, only more quiet. No longer was there the clank of machinery in the distance, or the tremor of large semi's hauling the geologic bounty to destinations unknown. Even most of the citizens failed to notice when the blasting schedule ceased being posted on the community board and broadcast on the local radio station.


Oak Meadow transformed over night into a bedroom community, it seemed; most of the hamlet's residents commuting to other cities for their work. The small city did have the basics, retail, and restaurants. It wasn't the most exciting place in the world, but it was quiet, safe, and offered excellent schools.


It was the perfect place for Joanne Keats to runaway. A string of bad relationships, and even worse jobs, had her retreating from suburban Sacramento, the only home she had ever known. In truth, it wasn't all bad guys and bad jobs that had her opting for a fresh start. Her sixteen year old son had recently gotten into some trouble at school. Trouble that had left him basically expelled and the school district demanding he be placed into a therapy program.


At thirty-two, Joanne had spent as much time on this earth with Jacob as she had without, and something about sitting in a room full of strangers who were willing to pass judgment on her son from what they read in two paragraphs just really didn't sit well with her.


It was nearly the end of the school year, one which had seen Jacob enrolled in an alternative education high school following the school board's recommendation, when an employment opportunity came to Joanne's attention. A Human Resources Management position at a printing company thirty minutes outside of Oak Meadow had opened, and Joanne saw this opportunity as a fresh start not only for her, but one for Jacob as well.


Joanne had to borrow the money for the airfare from San Jose to Ontario from her parents. She flew down on a Monday for an interview she had scheduled for that afternoon. She flew back at five p.m. the same evening, a smile on her face and a new hire packet in her lap. She even had a lead on a house she could look into purchasing.


The house seemed perfect from the pictures she saw. Craftsman styled, three bedrooms, three baths on a quiet oak shrouded street. It had sat mostly vacant for the last two years, hosting only out of town relatives of the owner. Before that, Mr. Wilson, the General Manager at the print shop, and her new boss, had rented it out to people since he and his wife moved out eight years before.


Joanne had to decimate her meager savings and guiltily stick her hand into Jacob's college savings to afford the down payment on the house. Mr. Wilson assured Joanne that the company would pay the closing costs on the house and any moving expenses she incurred to relocate as a signing bonus.


Two days before they were scheduled to move out, a FedEx van pulled up to Joanne's apartment building. Delivering an envelope from Wilson Encore Media Inc. Enclosed was a check that more than covered the closing costs and the moving expenses she had listed. She was quick to pick up the phone and send a call of thanks to Mr. Wilson for all that he had done for her and her small family.


She was quickly dismissed as he told her not to bother calling again and he would see her in five days for her first day of work. She offered small thanks again before she hung up the phone and stared blankly at the mound of boxes that surrounded her. Joanne couldn't help feeling that this was the second best decision she ever made.


The move happened quickly, with minimal gripping from Jacob. He made a point to let her know he didn't care for being yanked away from his friends and the only life he had ever known. Joanne understood his feelings and tried to reason the positives with him. Jacob, as it happened, turned out to be just as stubborn as his mother was, Joanne concluded


The end result was too many quiet dinners for Joanne's liking. Jacob still willingly packed his room and watched as the movers stacked his worldly possessions into a large truck, one that was big enough for five of their apartments combined. Somewhere inside himself, Jacob was looking forward to a fresh start. He understood that being caught like he had was a mistake. He just didn't understand why everyone acted like he had been doing something horridly wrong. It really wasn't that bad of a thing to do. Just the timing, and even perhaps the location, however, it was still fun while it lasted.


A sly smile graced Jacob's lips at the memory as he settled into the passenger seat of his mother's tan Ford Explorer, before that same smile just as quickly dissolved into a frown. His mother said the move had nothing to do with his past troubles at school, yet Jacob couldn't help feeling they had everything to do with it.


"Ready to go?" Joanne questioned, plopping into the drivers seat, her eyes sparkling with excitement, as if they were about to embark on a great adventure.


Jacob gave his mother an annoyed look, his brow furrowing as he turned to face her.


"It's not going to be that bad," she offered, ignoring the gaze her son was aiming in her direction, as she faced forward and turned the ignition. "We'll have an actual house with an actual yard," she spoke quickly, trying to offer reassurances as she pulled into traffic.


"Don't you think I'm a little old for running around in the yard?" Jacob countered, cutting his mother off.


"Not one with a pool," Joanne carefully countered, her lips curling slightly at the corners as she gave Jacob a sideward glance.


Her response met its' aim as Jacob's slack jaw snapped shut leaving Joanne chuckling at his lack of response. Giving Jacob a slight wink, Joanne turned her attention back to the traffic and the moving truck ahead of her.


"It won't be all that bad," she commented again, only this time it sounded as if she was trying to convince herself more than anyone else.


"I won't have any friends there," Jacob said after a few long moments staring out the window. His eyes drifted along the grassy rolling hills as they headed south on Interstate 5 out of Sacramento through Vacaville, continuing on.


"You'll make plenty soon enough," Joanne tried to smile at Jacob but her glance was only met by the side of his head.


"I have friends here," he reminded her shortly, turning his head to face his mother.


"Manny and Aaron?" Joanne asked, mimicking her son's tone as her eyes narrowed, "some friends. When was the last time you heard from either? The morning before it happened?" Joanne asked pointedly.


"Cody," Jacob answered simply, looking hurt at the mention of the friends he had indeed not heard from, before turning his head to gaze once again out the window.


Joanne could only sigh as she placed a hand on her son's shoulder and gave it a tight squeeze. She hated seeing her son as torn as he had been for the last few weeks. She longed for the day when he would walk around with a ready smile and seemingly not a care in the world. That easy smile had been reluctant ever since Jacob had learned that Cody's parents had sent him to live with his grandmother in Oregon.


"You know he moved out of state last week," she reminded Jacob, feeling worse after the fact.


"He could come back," Jacob whispered turning his head to face his mother again.


Joanne moved her hand to cup the side of Jacobs' face. Her thumb gently slid across his eye when he blinked, wiping away the threatening moisture.


"Its time to move on Hun," she cooed with a reassuring smile. "This is just one of those things we face in life. I know you want to hold on to the thought, the dream. Just sometimes, we have to wake up and face the truth for what it is, not want we want it to be."


Jacob only nodded weekly. He understood what she was saying. He even knew that Cody was indeed gone for good. Cody's parents wouldn't even give Jacob the phone number or the address so he could attempt to stay in contact. It wasn't for Jacob's lack of trying though. He had even tried to email Cody half a dozen times in the last week, just to let him know that he and his mother were moving south. All of the emails were returned; user unknown.


"I'll make you a deal," Joanne started, surreptitiously interrupting Jacob's thoughts. Jacob's attention turned from the nothing along the shoulder of the highway, until he was facing his mother again. "Tonight we go to sleep the people who nobody wanted, tomorrow; we wake the people everyone does," Joanne finished with her best cheek puffing goofy grin.


Jacob chuckled lightly, yet managed to roll his eyes anyway. However crazy his mother was trying to be, the deal did sound like a reasonably good plan.


"What do we get out of it?" Jacob asked, a sly smile breaking his stern lips.


"Sanity kid, pure, gorgeous, sanity," she smiled.

 

 

There is something about the lull of a car ride. Maybe it was the subtle rocking motion, or just the confined boredom. Long car rides just always managed to put Jacob to sleep, always had, since he was an infant. Joanne had learned quickly that if he was being fussy, all she had to do was strap him in and drive around the block a few times. Nothing had changed, save for the length of time it took him to fall asleep. So, Jacob wasn't all that surprised to wake in the parking lot of a roadside diner that sat in front of a small motel.


"Where are we?" he asked groggily, trying to get his bearings as he squinted against the garish pink glow of neon light.


"Its eight o'clock," his mother answered his unasked next question. "I figured we could grab some dinner," Joanne continued, checking herself in the rearview mirror.


"You want me to drive?" Jacob asked as he stretched the best he could while still being buckled into his seat. Giving up, he unbuckled the belt and leaned forward trying to ward of the dull soreness that was screaming its way up his spine from his back side.


"And go careening into the back of a diesel truck?" Joanne laughed, "Nope, I want to live. I think we'll just get a room there tonight," she said, motioning towards the small motel.


Jacob quickly appraised the fine establishment his mother had chosen to stay at before, turning his head back to her with a raised eyebrow.


"Don't you think you're a tad overdressed to be renting a room there?" he asked with a crooked smile.


"Jacob," Joanne screeched, before bursting into laughter.


"Just make sure it's a double becau..."


"Stop," Joanne continued laughing as she pulled on the door handle and exited the Explorer.


Jacob, chuckling himself, climbed out of the SUV and joined his mother, who was already making her way through the diner door.


Dinner was uneventful. Greasy, yet uneventful, the pair shared a club sandwich and a side of fries. How anyone could manage to make a club sandwich greasy was beyond the two of them, but they nevertheless enjoyed it over plans for tomorrow. The meal went quickly and was rather lasting as Jacob tried to get rid of the oily coating it left in his mouth. Reaching for his wallet Jacob pulled out a twenty dollar bill and left it on the grungy table before he stood up and ventured off to join his mother who had left a few minutes earlier to see about getting a room for the night.


The motel room was a double. Jacob felt wholly relieved with that fact but, only after quipping that the singles must have been booked solid for the next two hours. The comment sent Joanne into a fit of giggling laughter, her body falling easily onto one of the lumpy mattresses.


Sleep found Joanne quickly; she didn't even bother to dress down for the event. It wasn't that she didn't want to; it was more the fact that the only clothes she had packed were a fresh set of clothes for the morning. In the rush of packing the apartment up, she had inadvertently packed all of her pajamas, totally forgetting about her planned stop over.


Jacob however, was wide awake. Unlike the lull of a moving vehicle, strange rooms did absolutely nothing for his sleep patterns. On his first sleep over at the age of nine, he had remained awake all night long staring at the unfamiliar shadows that stretched across his friend's walls and ceiling.


Now, he found himself on a lumpy and, what he assumed well used, mattress. Not even the addition of his own pillow could comfort him enough to find sleep easily until the yellowing alarm clock read 3:30 a.m.


Being awake from his nap for a little over two hours, could only add credence to his level of discomfort, but he spent the following few hours skimming through the meager channel offerings, not really doing anything at all.


After a quick breakfast at the same greasy diner, which made a better omelet than they did a club sandwich, as far as Jacob was concerned, they were back on the road south. A mere five hours away from their new tomorrow.

 

 

A look of apprehension spread across Jacob's face as he peered along the quiet oak shaded street he would now call home. The street itself appeared as if had been plucked out of one of those fifties T.V. shows. Perfectly manicured lawns, American flags billowing gently in the afternoon breeze, lush flower beds, even the young children frolicking around in the front yards of several of the perfect homes. The scene was entirely alien to someone who had grown up in an apartment building that appeared more a rundown motel itself, hosting more police cruisers than it did actual residents.


Joanne pulled her Explorer into the driveway of 2536 Lily Ct. Jacob's eyes studied the exposed timber house that was painted in dark browns and greens.


"Well kiddo," Joanne asked as she shut off the engine, "what do you think?"


"I still don't understand why we had to leave Sacramento," Jacob sighed as he pulled the door release.


Joanne lightly shook her head; she knew it was going to be hard as Jacob adjusted. Hell, she would have been just as pissed had her parents uprooted her during her senior year. That aside, she also knew that the school board had made it clear that Jacob would not be welcomed back this year, or any other, with out him receiving some sort of counseling.


"The pay is better for starters," she said as she climbed out of the car. "And I don't have to worry about crack dealers on the corner, much less the unit three doors down," she continued, receiving no response, Joanne stopped in place and followed her son's line of sight.


Jacob's eyes were fixed and leveled at a scene that played itself out across the street. A teenage girl clad in a pair of small jean shorts that showed off her shapely legs and a bikini top, which clearly accentuated her other assets, stood soaping the front fender of a midnight blue ford mustang. Across the way from her stood a young man of about Jacob's age wearing nothing except a pair of yellow and blue hibiscus print board shorts. He was laughing, almost evilly, as he held the hose menacingly towards the girl laughing.


The girl emitted a shrill scream as the cool stream of water splashed across her chest, her hands flying upwards to try and assuage the stream of water. Having failed at her attempt to stop the cold stream, she retaliated by throwing the soap filled sponge that she held in her hand. Flying through the air in a direct line the sponge smacked him on the upper left shoulder with an audible thwack. The assault caught the young man off guard giving her time to run around the front of the classic car and tackle him down on to the soft grass.


"The sights are definitely better," Joanne added stepping around the front of her SUV, landing place beside her son.


Her eyes glanced up at Jacob.


"So which are you looking at?" she asked smiling and pinching his undefended side.


"Mom," Jacob said, his cheeks flushing crimson.


"What?" she chided, laughing lightly.


Joanne and her son's eyes strayed back across the street in unison, as the boy let out a sharp yelp. The wily girl had managed to straddle his upper thighs and now had the hose shoved down the front of his shorts. The trigger opened full tilt as he made a futile fight to escape.


"C'mon kiddo, lets get moved in and home," Joanne finally said, ruffling Jacob's hair before walking away.


Jacob held his ground for another few seconds enjoying the view before joining his mother.

 

"Stop," Matt squealed underneath Valerie. Tears streaming down his face from the laughter and, sting of water spray. "Look," he continued, exasperated as Val eased of the water "Someone's moving into the old Wilson place."


Val squinted into the distance; she barely caught sight of their new neighbor before he disappeared into the shadows of the house's front door.


"Looked like a kid our age," Val said, her hand absently abandoning the nozzle of the pressurized hose.


"Yeah," he breathed as he deftly removed the nozzle from his shorts and pointed the business end at the young woman who sat astride him.


"We-" she began, but as her face turned back towards Matt's, he squeezed the trigger releasing the spray on her upper torso and face.


Valerie screeched, her arms stretching outward, trying to defend herself against the onslaught of water. The action of her hands only caused the pair to get even more drenched in the warm sun of the late summer.


Inside of the rapidly filling house, the air was cool and crisp. The truck belonging to the moving company Joanne had hired to transport their worldly possessions had arrived a full two hours behind schedule. Leaving her and Jacob at a loss of what to do for the two hours, but, thanking God when they finally did show up. Boxes were being stacked in piles out of the way of larger pieces of furniture being hauled through the house. Jacob took a break from sorting and moving boxes to their various rooms. Resting his weight on the kitchen counter, he stared out the sliding French doors into the rear yard.


The yard was lushly landscaped and guarded by several large trees that dotted the perimeter. Jacob's eyes however, gazed longingly at a very inviting black-bottomed rock pool. A Macintosh apple rolled in his hand as he peered through the large door.


"What's up?" Joanne asked, adjusting the bandanna holding her hair back as she slid alongside Jacob.


The question caught Jacob off guard his mind jerked back from the inviting sights outside. He faced her and remained quiet for a second.


"Uhh..." he stammered.


"Hun just be yourself, you'll make friends easily," Joanne said rubbing his arm. She peered out the window at the pool beyond. "Why don't you take a break and test it out?" she urged.


"Trunks?" Jacob asked, not completely put off by the Idea of taking a relaxing swim.


"Live a little, skinny dip," she countered with a small laugh.


"Movers?" Jacob questioned, raising a brow.


Joanne chuckled and looked behind her at the group of men who were still shuffling boxes and furniture around.


"Right, better keep your drawers on I guess. I'll unpack a towel and get you a glass of lemonade in a few. Go on. Scoot," Joanne said, nudging her son out the back sliding door.


"Thanks Ma," he said giving her a quick peck on the cheek before disappearing through the door.


Joanne was pleased with herself, and with the opportunities that would find her small family here. Distant were the days in that tiny rundown two-bedroom apartment on the grungier side of Sacramento. Even though it was unfamiliar to him, she knew Jacob would find friends quickly. He was a lot like her when she was that age, out going, with a good sense of humor, and effortless charm.

 

 

The dark slate slabs that encircled the pool were hot under foot delivering a singing burn to Jacob's tender soles as he hopped across them. Pulling his shorts down in a hurry he made his way to the pool. Shorts shucked and pushed aside Jacob made a running jump. Jacob made a graceful yet, clumsily untrained summersault through the air. The result of which was a thunderous splashing cannon ball as he broke the surface with a wave of water.


Millions of tiny bubbles cascaded upwards, flowing over his lean body as he stayed for a second in suspended animation before the weight on his chest caused him to rush back to the surface. Jacob swam the length of the pool doing a series of laps before Joanne came out with a large glass of lemonade and cut apple slices.


"How is it?" she asked as Jacob swam up to and grasped the edge.


"Great. A little warmer then the one at the apartment though," Jacob spoke, slicking the water from his face.


Joanne sat and dipping her feet in the water as Jacob grabbed the glass of lemonade and took a healthy drink.


"So?" she asked her feet moving through the water.


Jacob appraised her, reading the unasked question on her face.


"Its cool mom, I like it," he said, directing a small smile to his mother.


A large grin broke on Joanne's face, grabbing the back of his head; Joanne pulled Jacob towards her and planted a kiss on his short wet mass of hair. Jacob gave a growl as he tried to pull away from her, leaving her chuckling slightly.


"Hurry up, the movers are almost done, and you have to at least get your bed set up for tonight," Joanne said, ruffling his hair one last time. Pulling her feet from the cool water Joanne stood up. She gave him another warm smile before, turning and heading back into the house.


"Kay," he responded lazily.


Jacob took another healthy gulp of lemonade, nearly finishing the glass. Setting the cup down, he pushed away from the edge of the pool. Swimming a few more laps before climbing out and retrieving the towel his mother left for him. He dried quickly as he reached for his shorts.


He quickly pulled off the wet boxers and pulled on his shorts, leaving them to hang threateningly low on his hips. The waistline of the blue denim shorts hanging just below his line of pubic hair. Seemingly decent again he threw the towel and his discarded shirt over his shoulder, making his way back into his new home.


The cool of the air conditioning felt great against his water logged skin as he made his way through the kitchen. Joanne passed at that moment carrying a box labeled kitchen in harsh black letters.


"Pull your shorts up," she commented as she continued with what she was doing.


Jacob complied, absently tugging at his shorts as he made his way to the staircase that led to his bedroom, the only room that occupied the second floor of the house. His shorts raised obediently about two inches only to fall an inch.


Jacob spent the remainder of the night reassembling his mission style bed and setting up his room. As with any teenager, the stereo was the first thing he hooked up. Even, if it was only assembled in a jumble of components and wires on the wooden bedroom floor. Jacob had an eclectic taste in music as he loaded discs into the changer that spanned genres and eras. The rapid beat of a modern rock band filled the rather large second floor room as he began to push boxes out of the way.

 

 

The Porter's and King's sat down at their usual table in the local steak house. The meal had been a long standing event, for the two neighboring families who counted each other as the oldest and dearest of friends. Valerie and Matt sat across from each other speaking of the rapidly approaching school year, while their sets of parents were mixed up in their own conversation.


"I still can't believe you got Jacovy," Val commented, dredging the fork in her delicate fingers through the baked potato on her plate. "He's a hard ass."


"What do you expect from a guy that requires his Algebra 2 class to call him coach just like his wrestlers?" Matt commented, slicing through the steak before him. "How's Higgens?" he inquired of her Lit. Comp. teacher.


"Boring Hag," Valerie sighed heavily.


"Valerie," Daniel King admonished his seventeen-year-old daughter.


"What?" Valerie quipped, "It's true. She spent an hour last year touting the greatness of Danielle Steele. Any teacher that touts the stunning works of soft core porn poorly disguised as literature is a boring hag."


"Has either of you seen the new people who moved in to the Wilson place?" Viola Porter, Matt's mother, asked in an attempt to change the subject.


"Caught a glimpse of a kid while we were washing the mustang," Matt answered


"I heard that their name is Keats," said Kitty, Val's mother, "And I hear that she is single."


"Imagine, raising a teenage son all on your own," Viola mused, dabbing the corners of her mouth with a napkin.


"I wonder where the father ran off to." Richard Porter questioned to no one in particular as he cut through the remnants of his steak.


The group of adults looked over at the two teenagers as if the knew the answer to the question. Matt stopped mid chew as he stared back. Valerie set her glass of tea back on the table looking like she had been caught with her hand in a cookie jar.


"Well?" Kitty inquired.


"What?" Val responded feeling as if she were in the inquisition.


"Have you talked to them yet?" Kitty continued, eager for any information her daughter could provide.


"You want us to jump em' and pump answers out of them before the engine on the moving truck is even cold?" Matt spoke incredulously.


Richard set his knife and fork down glaring at his son.


"Sorry," Matt added as an afterthought.


"No, but if there is a new boy in the neighborhood, who is the same age as you, he might be looking for some friends. Perhaps even someone to show him around town," Kitty continued.


"I don't think the day they were moving would have been such a great time," Matt countered receiving yet another scolding look from his father.


"You could have offered assistance," Richard interjected as he lifted his partial mug of beer.


The actions and words of his father made Matt feel about three inches tall at that moment. True he could have offered a hand, but with a team of burly mover-types running about, he would have been more a hindrance, then help. Matt would have offered up this information, but he knew after the scathing look and tone of voice, to continue the conversation further, would be talking back to his father.


Matt's appetite had been equally vanquished as he stared at the remnants of the meal before him. Valerie had too, pushed her plate away. She gave a look at her father begging him to let her leave.


"Why don't you guys run home?" Daniel King finally spoke excusing his daughter and Matt. "We'll be home in about an hour. Unless you guys want to catch a movie," he asked, directing the last part to his wife and the Porters.


"That would be great," Kitty and Viola agreed in unison pushing their chairs back, standing to hug and kiss each of the children in turn.


"You kids don't stay out too late," Viola commented. "I don't care if it's a Saturday."


"That's right young lady," Kitty piped in. "Don't you go driving all over God's creation. I want to see that car in the driveway when I get home."


"All right Mom," Valerie sighed, before walking off.


Out of the sight of their parents, Valerie rolled her eyes in indignation.


"I can't believe they still treat me like a child," she complained to Matt.


"I know, my dad just made me feel about two inches tall, talkin' to me like I was a bad toddler or something."


"It's just not right," Valerie quickly agreed.


"Yeah," echoed Matt. His voice more then a little disgruntled.


"So what do you want to do?" Valerie questioned as they stepped into the cool evening air.


"Truthfully?" Matt questioned. "Go home."


"You're not exactly a hot date Matthew Porter," Valerie sighed as she climbed behind the wheel.


"Would you rather I say go to the quarry and screw like rabbits?" Matt asked laughing.


"Only in the wettest of your wet dreams, you snot," Valerie laughed with him; she effortlessly started the car as Matt climbed in. As soon as he had his belt fastened she pulled away into the night.


"What do you think of Jackie Spencer?" Val questioned as she drove.


"Jackie Spencer?" Matt frowned.


"She has a crush on you, you know," Valerie teased.


Matt crumpled his face in disgust. "I've heard, but crush or no crush; doesn't solve the fact that her face and, chest are as flat as her back."


Valerie laughed.


"What about Jay?" Matt asked.


"What about him?" Valerie stopped laughing as her voice took on a serious tone.


"You guys still an item? I haven't seen him around in a while."


"First off, we were never an item; I wouldn't go out with him if my life depended on it," Valerie said growing defensive.


"But..." Matt started.


"No buts', Matty, he's an ass. I don't go out with asses," Valerie spoke in a huff, her hands grasping the steering wheel tightly as her eyes fixed menacingly on the road ahead.


Matt glanced at her sideways for a long moment. The glance left Valerie with a feeling that she needed to explain herself.


"Any guy that kisses that Carmichael slut is an ass," she rationalized.


"Wendy Carmichael?" Matt guffawed.


"Do you know of any other Carmichael slut?" Val retorted.


Matt remained quiet as Valerie turned the corner onto Lily Ct. his stomach was in a knot and his palms sweaty. Matt went to speak, his mouth opening, but failed to find the words several times before Val appraised him curiously.


"What?" she finally demanded.


"Go out with me," Matt croaked.


"What?" Val exclaimed, slightly shocked.


"Go...,"


"I heard you the first time Matty; don't you think that would be weird?" Val reasoned absently.


"I dunno," Matt stammered, regretting he'd said anything at all.


His eyes began to burn as the car pulled into the drive of the King residence. All Matt wanted now was to escape. Val pulled the parking break and gave him an appraising look having never really considered Matt as a boyfriend before.


Yes he was good looking in his own way. Yet she had always over looked his appearance, always seeing him as friend, in some ways more like a brother. That all changed tonight as she began to see him with new eyes. She watched him carefully as he sat here sullen under the amber glow of the streetlights. Matt opened the door ready to make his hasty retreat home when she reached over and grabbed his arm.


As he turned his head to look at her, his lips brushed against her voluptuous waiting ones. Time stopped in the gentle kiss, never going any further then the small peck it was, but any further wouldn't have fit the moment. Slowly, Valerie pulled away, her heart skipping a beat as she caught his eyes.


"Is that a yes?" Matt asked breathlessly.


"It's a definite maybe, sexy," Val said in a cooing suggestive voice. A voice Matt had never heard from her before. He was however sure he would want to hear it again as a shiver raced along his spine.

 

 

"Shit," the foreign voice reverberated across the quiet night. The sound of a handful of collapsed boxes hitting the pavement followed the silent outburst.


Val and Matt, broken from their quiet solitude, twisted around in the front seats of the Mustang. As they peered across the street to see the new inhabitant of 2536 bent over trying to gather a stack crushed boxes that his arms just couldn't handle.


Matt glanced at Valerie questioning her silently. She only shrugged her shoulders in a response as silent as his question.


"Hey there," Matt called out turning his attention back across the way. "Do you need a hand?"


Jacob, startled by the shout, looked from the scattered pile of boxes that just wouldn't go back into his arms no matter what he tried to the couple he had seen earlier. This time, much to his disappointment, the pair was fully clothed and watching him as they leaned forward on the backrests of the Mustangs front seats.


"No, I think I got it, but thanks," Jacob smiled politely, feeling more then a little self conscious at his inability to appear as anything other then a complete dufus. Turning his gaze back to the pile of boxes before him, Jacob hunched over and gathered the boxes into a pile.


Jacob stood cradling the mass to his chest. The jumble of boxes only allowing him two small awkward steps before the majority of them slipped through his grasp and fell to the pavement below. Matt didn't ask this go around. In no time he had hopped over the passenger door of the Mustang finding himself crouched beside Jacob gathering up the fallen boxes.


"Thanks," Jacob offered as he avoided the embarrassment of looking Matt in the eye. The two of them wrestled with their respective piles in silence. Crossing the short distance to the large recycling container the city had placed for the empties. "I didn't want to interrupt your date with the girl," Jacob finally muttered as they stood in front of the dumpster in silence, taking the moment to look Matt head on.


"I wish she were my girl," Matt laughed "We're more like close friends."


Matt smiled as his gaze moved from Valerie, who sat quietly in the car watching, to Jacob. As their eyes met, Matt's heart fluttered causing him to take a step back. The feeling wasn't all together an alien one, having felt it only moments ago, the same sensation he felt as a repercussion of Valerie's fleeting kiss.


"Oh, the way I saw you guys messin' around earlier this afternoon I figured..." Jacob started. Jacob was more then a little put off in the way Matt seemed to back off as their eyes met, As if some truth had made itself known to Matt when their eyes met. He chose to ignore the small retreat rather then dwell on it.


"S'ok dude, a lot of people make that mistake," Matt laughed, noting that he and Valerie had already been noticed. "Matt Porter," he said extending his hand.


"Jacob Keats," he said grasping Matt's hand firmly. "Hey listen, thanks for the help and all, but I gotta get back in there," he nodded toward the house. "It was cool meeting ya."


"I guess I'll catch ya later then?" Matt asked as his eyes fixed on Jacob's momentarily before they wandered down to gaze at his hand still enveloped with Jacob's.


A small smile broke the corner of his mouth as Jacob's finger danced absently along the back of his hand. The small action of Jacob's fingers increasing the feeling in Matt's chest and a slight response below his waist.


"Yeah I'll be around," Jacob confirmed letting Matt's hand slip through his fingers. Fingers which had a mind of their own, stretching to once again feel Matt's clammy touch.


Matt gave a slight wave he backed his way across the street, not trusting himself to turn his back on this new acquaintance. As Matt crossed the manhole cover in the middle of the street his stomach tightened as his mind screamed at him to say something more. There was something about Jacob Keats, something unspoken in that first brief encounter urging Matt to get to know him better.


"Whatcha' doin' tomorrow?" Matt called out to Jacob, his voice sounding more then a little timid.


Matt watched nervously as Jacob stopped in the shadows and turned around slowly.


"I mean, maybe I could show you around town or something," Matt began, "if you want that is," his voice dropped.


Jacob stood there for a moment, washed in shadow, thinking of all the packing that was left over. What the hell, Jacob figured, a small smile breaking across his full lips. "That'd be cool," Jacob responded, trying to hide the excitement in his voice.


"Cool," Matt echoed with a hint of excitement. "I'll catch you later then."


"Later," Jacob echoed.


Matt stood and watched Jacob make his retreat and vanish into the interior of his house before he rejoined Valerie who was waiting patiently in her car.

 

 

Jacob moved quietly through the new house; his mother had called it quits about an hour ago. Wishing him a goodnight and reminding him not to stay up too late after kissing the top his head, before retreating back downstairs to the master bedroom. Climbing the stairs to his room, Jacob flung himself down onto the queen-sized bed, landing on his back. A broad smile broke across his face, his hands coming to rest on his chest, as Jacob found himself impatiently awaiting tomorrow.

 
 

Copyright © 2011 shadowgod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This first chapter is very nice introduction to your story. Making assumptions on what I've read here leads me to think that the time I spend reading your words will be well worth it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Interesting first chapter. I can’t definitely say what happened at the end between Matt and Val, or Matt and Jacob. Will be interesting Day Two in Oak Meadows. 

Link to comment

Well what a great beginning to this story and so many unanswered questions. What had happened to Jacob's old school must have been a nasty thing! I can't wait to see what comes of Matt and Jacob this could be good!:yes:

Edited by Albert1434
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..