Jump to content
    shadowgod
  • Author
  • 7,410 Words
  • 4,420 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Living in Surreality - 2. Chapter 2

chapter 2:
: edited by viv :

Valerie scrutinized the interaction between Matt and their new neighbor from her position carefully, well as carefully as she could in the shadows and amber glow of the street lights. While she couldn’t hear everything that was said, the fact that they held hands a little longer then necessary didn’t fail to escape her attention.


“So?” Val asked regarding Matt, as he slowly padded back up to her car, leaning against it.


Matt remained silent as he approached, studying the overly curious look in Valerie’s eyes. For the first time Matt could remember, he had discovered a feeling that he couldn’t share with Valerie. He wasn’t exactly sure why, he just knew somehow he couldn’t. The feelings that erupted inside of Matt from simply looking into Jacob’s eye’s, and touching his hand, were something he had never experienced before. He had felt something close to it with Valerie, but his feelings for her had only begun to present themselves slowly over the last several months. Now, in the waning summer, those same emotions that he had slowly developed for Valerie manifested themselves in the face of this relative stranger, a male stranger, feelings which left Matt conflicted. He wasn’t sure if he liked their intrusion, yet he longed for Jacob’s touch again.


Val nudged Matt’s shoulder in attempt to elicit a response, “Well?”


“He’s alright I guess,” Matt answered as blandly as he could, hoping Valerie couldn’t see the flush of his cheeks in the darkness of the street.


Val appraised him with a look; he wasn’t acting like the Matt she had always known. The unexpectedly cool kid next door, the honest confidant to all her secrets, the boy she had grown up with, hell, they even used to bathe together; she could tell him anything and everything, but now she had the uncanny suspicion he was holding something back from her.


“Matt, are you playing kiss and not tell?” Valerie kept a straight face for a moment before collapsing in giggles.


The groan her comment extracted from Matt left his chest as more of a growl.


“You’ll see,” Matt replied impatiently, “he’s cool.”


“Well,” Val said pulling herself out of the car, “if he’s won the Matt Porter seal of approval, he must be cool.”


Valerie abruptly dropped the subject, realizing that she would get nothing more about the new neighbor out of Matt tonight. Her feet landing on the ground, she grabbed Matt’s wrist and led the way up the small path to her front door. Entering her house, the pair headed straight to the den. Valerie grabbed the remote off the small coffee table, flipping on the TV as she sank into the comfortable old leather couch. Matt joined her, sinking into the couch at her immediate right, just as he always had.


Val began flipping rapidly through the channels. “What do you want to watch?”


“I dunno, there has to be something decent on,” Matt answered.


The rapid flicker of changing channels abruptly paused and the dark room was flooded with images of the African Sahara. In the middle of the screen, a male lion clenched his jaws on the nape of a lioness and mounted her from behind, while a narrator with a snobby British accent gave words to the action.


Matt stared at the screen, his eye’s widening in disbelief, as Val began to chuckle.


“Notice how the male subdues the female,” the narrator droned nasally.


“Uh- perhaps animal porn is too interesting,” Matt quipped, nudging Valerie with his elbow.


Valerie chuckled even louder flipping through the channels again.


The pair finally settled on some cheesy B movie from the 70’s, the title of which neither of them cared to know. While the plot, or lack of one, sucked on many levels, the generic special effects however, made up for the plots shortcomings. Matt’s mind was far from the screen, he kept wandering back to the pair of glowing light brown, almost amber, eyes that playfully sparkled in the shadow and light of evening on Lily Ct.


The cult film failed to hold Val’s interest either. Soft sounds of her steady breathing escaped her slightly parted lips as Valerie rested her weight on Matt’s shoulder. Matt found himself too, succumbing to the exhaustion of the day, his eyes growing heavy and his head rocking forward, the vision of Jacob’s eyes greeting him in the darkness.


Just as the sounds of the credits faded, Matt was aware of the sound of the door swinging open, the voices of Daniel and Kathryn King, or Kitty as she preferred to be called, filled the quiet house banishing the vision in his mind to darkness. Matt slowly opened his eyes regretting the lost sight.

 

 

Kitty laughed raucously, her swaggering footsteps sounding down the hall as she made her way to towards the bluish glow emanating from TV in the den.


“I hope you two are decent,” she slurred giggling uncontrollably at her own statement.


“Yes ma’am,” Matt answered her comment sounding as even as he could.


Matt was growing less and less patient with Valerie’s mom, Kitty. She was always dropping suggestions like those as if she were attempting to play merry matchmaker. If Matt had thought Kitty could have made it happen, he was sure she would have planned to have a daughter, and her best friend a son. Sure, Matt would like to have relationship with Valerie one day, something other then the bond of friendship they already shared, but the thought of this woman meddling in that possible life turned his stomach.


Val stirred, sitting up groggily she yawned, “Hello mom.”


Matt rose to his feet as Valerie lazily greeted her mother, “I think I better get going.”


Kitty stared at him with an odd smile on her face; as if she were sizing him up for a tuxedo. The odor of alcohol, wafting from her person, as Matt passed Kitty on his way from den through the house.


“Night Matty,” Kitty called after him, leaning so dangerously back on her heels that she had to support herself with the door frame. “Tell your mom I’ll call her in the morning.”


“Will do,” Matt called back. “Night Kitty.”


“So tell me what happened?” Matt heard Kitty squeal as she hobbled over landing on the couch next Valerie.


Rolling his eyes, Matt was stopped when he collided with the wall of flesh that blocked the entry to the house.


“Night Dad,” Matt smiled genuinely at Valerie’s other parent, the one he actually enjoyed hanging around. In many ways, Matt considered Dan more of a father than his own. He worked hard to provide for his family, many days finding him covered in grease with more then one knuckle busted open. Yet he still made time for his family, even made the time for the pesky kid next door when Matt was having a particularly tough time with an algebra problem.


“Night kiddo,” Dan gave Matt’s hair a quick tussle, earning him an appreciative grin as Matt slipped out the door on his way home to what he was sure a similar scene.


His mother was far drunker than Kitty; the message would have to wait. Viola was no longer conscious. That fact being demonstrated by the way she was sprawled across the black leather couch in the living room. Matt poked his head around the wall into the kitchen. Matt’s father, Richard Porter, stood scrubbing something vigorously under the tap in the sink. His lips parted but his father cut him off.


“Goodnight Matthew,” his father spoke shortly, not even raising his gaze from the object he was so thoroughly cleaning.


Matt didn’t know how his father did it, but the man always had a keen sense of knowing when Matt was around.


“Night Dad,” Matt spoke softly, trying not to disturb his mother. Richard stopped scrubbing, his back straightening as he stood ready to correct his son. “Goodnight,” Matt quickly corrected himself upon seeing his father’s body language. Richard nodded his head but didn’t reply, his back still toward his son.


Matt eased into his bed, but only after a longing glance at the dark craftsman house across the street. Peering up at the glow-in-the-dark stars which covered the ceiling above his bed, Matt thought about the night, about the new neighbor. The stars offered him little comfort, in their black light induced luminescence, yet, the more he concentrated on their green glow the further away they seemed until at last Matt slipped into a comfortable sleep. The only interruption being the sound of his father’s car pulling out of the drive and fading into the night.

 

 

Birds sang loudly from their perch just outside Matt’s bedroom window. The aroma of the autumn dew curled through the open window. The cool air that wafted over his nearly nude body was a welcome relief to the heat that smoldered just below the surface of his skin. Matt became painfully aware of the stiffness in his boxers, shifting slightly in his grogginess.


Cringing Matt raised his groin from where it was crushed against the mattress and rolled onto his back. Rubbing his face blearily with his left hand Matt sighed heavily, his right hand wandering down to the fly in his boxers. Satisfied that his pride was still intact he gave a few quick pulls while his left hand cupped his eyes in darkness.


Matt fought back the sound of pleasure that built in his throat, his right hand continuing to toy with the flared glands just inside his fly. The sound that threatened to escape came out as a startled yipe as the door to his room was callously flung open. His father stepped inside the room a few paces before stopping abruptly. Matt jumped, sitting up instantly reaching in a panic for the discarded sheet to cover his enraged groin.


“Church in forty-five minutes,” Matt’s father barked, casting Matt a disgusted glare. “Perhaps you should shower.”


Matt could only nod as his father retreated from the room, leaving the door wide open, tossing all of Matt’s modesty out the window with the now annoying chirp of birds. A deep frown cut across Matt’s features as he tossed the sheet aside, staring at the wilting state of his erection which was obviously no longer willing to cooperate.

 

 

The scene across the street couldn’t have been more different. Soft, rhythmic murmurs of music crept from under the door to Jacobs’s room. He lay sound asleep, a small smile curling the corners of his lips, as Joanne tiptoed into his room and went about collecting a few empty, half-crushed cans of Red Bull. Gathering the items in her hand, Joanne glanced around the room. She couldn’t believe he had settled in so quickly. All that remained was a small collection of junk boxes that sat in the corner to be sorted through.


As quietly as she could Joanne leaned in and gave him a light peck on the temple making him stir lightly. Jacob’s body stretched across the mattress finding a more comfortable position before he went still again. Joanne’s heart swelled as she reminisced on their life they shared together, the things his father had so willingly missed. It was she who had run beside him on the day the training wheels disappeared from his bike, the joy was hers as she stopped and let him continue on his own. With a fondness only a parent could muster, she remembered the dimpled smile that spread across his face when he crashed. Realizing that he had gone as far from her as he had on his own. Jacob’s father had missed so much when he walked away from her, deciding not to be a part of their lives. She didn’t regret raising Jacob on her own, not for a second, it had made her a stronger person. She only regretted that his father willingly would never know what he helped bring into this world.


“We’re good,” she smiled to herself as she tiptoed back through his bedroom door and closed it quietly.

 

 

Matt just couldn’t seem to pay attention to the church service this Sunday. His mind was swimming with lingering thoughts of Jacob and what trouble they might get into that afternoon. There was always the old stand by, take him to lunch at the pizza joint with Valerie. They could even take him down to the quarry, maybe the movies and fast food afterwards. Beyond that, Oak Meadow offered little else, well little else that piqued Matt’s interest for long.


The sun stung Matt’s eyes as he ventured through the throngs of exiting parishioners who were taking their time milling around. His parents were enraptured in a conversation with two of the church deacons and Father Thompson. He politely excused himself as his eyes met with Val’s who stood next to her car waiting patiently for him.


“Heya cutie,” Val chimed as he grew near.


“Hey Val,” he greeted, shoving his hands into his pockets peering around the parking lot wondering if Jacob went to church.


“So what’s the plan today?” she asked as she moved to the driver door.


“I was thinkin’ we could kidnap Jacob and get to know him over lunch at the pizza place.” Matt answered hopping into the passenger seat not bothering with the door handle.


“Jacob?” Valerie questioned, knowing full well that Matt was speaking of their new neighbor.


Matt’s face flushed at the realization he had yet to tell Valerie their new neighbors name. “Yeah, he’s the guy that moved into the Wilson place,” he answered, turning away from Valerie.


Val’s brow lifted at Matt’s behavior and the suggestion that they kidnap someone. “Kidnapping huh?”


“He’s unpacking so I figured if he couldn’t make decent escape we might have to resort to that,” Matt replied glancing at Valerie.


“Did you bring the fur handcuffs?” Valerie smiled innocently.


“I would have, but you never gave them back the last time you borrowed ‘em,” Matt responded grinning at her.


Val chuckled good-heartedly, easily twisting the growing swath of key chains causing her pony to purr to life.


“I have to be at work at three,” she reminded Matt, “so I can only hang around until two or so.” Valerie spoke while checking her mirrors and backing out of the parking spot.

 

 

Joanne sat comfortably in her new sunlit kitchen, her eyes pouring over an article in Architectural Digest about Frank Lloyd Wright’s cement block homes in the Los Angeles Valley. One side of the magazine spread featured a full page, sepia-toned photo of one of the houses in the Pasadena area. “A Doctor can bury his mistakes, an architect can only suggest ivy – Frank Lloyd Wright” was super-imposed over the picture in a bold typeface.


She idly lifted a strawberry and directed it to her mouth as she read. Jacob snuck into the kitchen, clothed in only his boxers, his hand busy scratching at the back of his head. He made his way to the refrigerator and pulled out a jug of orange juice unscrewing the cap.


Without lifting her eyes from the magazine article Joanne intoned, “Get a cup.”


Jacob peered down at the open container and over at his mom, who sat, still engrossed in the article. Shrugging his shoulders he took a hefty gulp of the sweet, tart juice walking to the cabinet to retrieve a cup. Cup in hand he poured a tall glass of the juice before he returned the container to the refrigerator. Jacob moved across the kitchen and sat down at the table, the tall glass of orange juice in his hands, his eyes on the large, earthenware bowl of fresh strawberries.


Joanne chuckled as she pushed the bowl across the table. Expertly reading her son’s thoughts with out having to shift her eyes from the article she was reading.


Jacob didn’t need a second invitation as he grabbed two ripe berries.


“So how did you... WHOA,” Joanne’s eyes finally left her article.


Before her sat her teenage son, clad in only his boxers, resting his weight on his elbows that he had perched on the edge of the table. But that wasn’t the shocker; it was the fact that his hair was sticking up in random chunks over the top of his head.


“What?” his lips curled around a third berry he had grabbed and lifted to his mouth.


“That’s some serious bed head you got on you, kiddo,” Joanne chuckled.


Jacob rolled his eyes skyward in a vain attempt to check out the state of his hair. Once he was satisfied that he would need a mirror to see anything beyond the tips of his bangs he offered only a shrug of his shoulders.


Joanne reached for a strawberry accepting his dismissal. “Late night?”


“Yeah, I had to get settled in,” Jacob admitted as he reached for a fourth berry.


Joanne nodded her head, understanding. “So what are you going to do today if you’re all unpacked?” she inquired.


“I dunno, help you with this mess,” Jacob said with a casual shrug. “I was also sorta hoping to hang out with the guy across the street,” he added quickly, hoping she would not monopolize his whole free day before she enrolled him in school the following morning.


“The one in the trunks?” Joanne queried, raising a brow.


Jacob’s cheeks flushed slightly, attempting to dodge her eyes.


“Yeah he gave me a hand last night with some empty boxes then offered to show me around town today,” Jacob answered reaching for a fifth berry.


She snagged the emptying bowl of berries before he had a chance to grab a sixth one. “That’s great! You better go get ready.”


Jacob stood, a smile on his face, leaning in briefly to give his mom a quick peck on the cheek. Stealing two berries out of her bowl he grinned widely as he popped one between his lips before heading back up stairs to his shower.

 

 

The Mustang cruised with ease along the small town streets. The natural beauty sat behind the wheel wearing a pair of dark sunglasses steering the pony’s course. Her soft brown hair billowed lazily behind her, its tips lashing the seat back.


Valerie turned the volume on the radio down. “So tell me about him.”


“Not much to tell really, I don’t know much about him,” Matt answered with an honest frown.


“Then why are you so eager to get to know him? I mean, if there are no outward common interests, only a chance meeting in the dark, what is it?” Valerie asked, gazing at him every so often as she scanned her mirrors.


“I dunno,” Matt shrugged, his face flushing, as his fingers fiddled idly with the glove box knob. “There’s just something about him, I just really want to get to know him better.”


Valerie peered at him sideways, not sure that Matt was being completely honest with her about whatever feelings that were drawing Matt to this guy.


“I guess that’s fair enough,” she conceded with a slight frown that went unnoticed by her companion, deciding to leave the subject alone, for now. “He knows were doing this right?”


“He said ‘cool’ when I offered to show him round today, so, I hope he’s expecting us,” Matt smiled with a grin that was as sarcastic as the retort.


Valerie jabbed him expertly in the side with her finger.


“Funny smartass,” she intoned.


“Better then a dumb one,” Matt replied quickly his smile broadening.


“Right, you’re just lucky it’s a nice looking ass or I wouldn’t be caught dead with you,” Valerie chided, scrunching her face before sticking out her tongue.


Matt grinned, his eyebrows wiggling. “It is nice isn’t it?”


Valerie’s eyes widened in shock at Matt’s comment, her attention no longer focused road ahead. “Man, one simple compliment and your head swells!”


Matt busted out into laughter, his body rocking in the worn leather of the passenger seat. Val just regarded him curiously between attempts to watch the road.


“Not the one on my shoulders either,” he managed to yell between gulps of air.


Valerie’s jaw dropped in surprise, but quickly recovered into a look of mock disgust.


“Ewww Matty!” Valerie sounded in a shrill whine, “I don’t want to know about the state of your pecker.”


Her juvenile response sent Matt into another roll of raucous laughter, causing tears to escape the corners of his eyes. Valerie chose to ignore his silent, gasping pleas for help as she turned down their long stretch of oak shaded asphalt. Matt meanwhile, was still silently laughing, rocking from side to side as his one arm lay draped over his stomach, the hand clutching his side, the other arm waving wildly in the air.


“Perv,” Valerie goaded, cracking a smile.


Matt was busy wiping the tears of laughter from his eyes, trying to look presentable, as Val pulled her car to a stop in front of the Keats’ residence. Still joking with one another, Matt and Valerie made their way to Jacob’s front door. Valerie’s slender finger depressing the lighted doorbell the moment they stepped onto the shaded porch. The sound of the bell resounded through the house on the other side of the wooden door. Matt gave Valerie a nervous smile as she caught his eyes.


Valerie wondered what was up, and was about to ask Matt, just before the door where they stood was ripped open in a rush, catching both Matt and Valerie off guard. Moisture from Jacob’s recent shower still clinging to his bare chest, Jacob found himself surprised, he was only expecting Matt and couldn’t deny that Valerie’s presence was slightly disappointing.


Valerie stood dumbfounded momentarily, her breath caught in her chest as she saw Jacob properly for the first time. His body type reminded her of Carlos, one of the mechanics at her dad’s shop. Jacob wasn’t a muscle bound jock type by any means, nor was he scrawny. More a healthy medium, his exposed pec’s showing nice definition atop a flat stomach with a belly button that was somewhere between an innie and an, outtie. At her side, Matt was suffering the same fate in silence, willing every ounce of control he had to stop him from showing his appreciation of his view outwardly.


“Hello Jacob,” Valerie said, a friendly smile broadening her lips once she composed herself.


“Hi,” Jacob stammered, feeling awkward in her appraising presence. His chest still heaving from the mad dash he had made to the door. “I’m sorry I was only expecting Matt,” Jacob continued, reaching for the black shirt that was flung carelessly over his shoulder.


“Oh don’t be silly and go getting dressed for me,” Valerie laughed, practicing her best Scarlet impression as she approached the threshold, crossing it as Jacob backed away. “Nice house,” she continued, spinning to face Matt and Jacob. Her eyes admonished Matt briefly as he stood on the front porch, quietly watching her.


With a roll of her eyes Valerie presented her hand to Jacob.


“Valerie King, you’ll have to excuse Matt, sometimes he forgets his manners,” she finished with a huff.


Matt stared at Valerie, wide-eyed in shock. His manners? She was the one who just entered Jacob’s house with out so much as being invited in.


“It’s cool Sweets,” Jacob said taking her hand in his gently, his lips lightly caressing the back of her hand before he spoke again. “I’ll teach him some manners,” he said with a grin.


“Oh please,” Matt sighed, his eyes now rolling, as Valerie giggled.


“You know Matt,” Valerie sounded thoughtful for a moment, “you were right about him, I like him already.”


Jacob, confused, looked from Valerie to Matt who was beginning to blush, even just slightly.


“Oh, Matt has been gushing about you at every opportunity,” Valerie offered seeing the confused look on Jacob’s face.


“What?” Matt, stammered, his blush becoming fiercer.


“Really?” Jacob grinned, his gaze turning to Matt. “So you got all snazzy for me?” Jacob questioned, offering Matt a sly loaded grin that he prayed Valerie didn’t see.


“Church,” Matt stated as a matter of fact, though he was beginning to feel flustered on what he was sure was a not so innocent gaze from Jacob.


“Its cool bro, c’mon in,” Jacob said easily, his smile becoming more normal. “Sides she’s just worried I’ll steal you away from her,” he continued in a low voice just loud enough for Valerie to hear.


The three of them laughed together, it seemed that in a matter of seconds Jacob had weaseled his way into Matt and Valerie’s tightly knit friendship. So deeply, that Valerie found herself unable to imagine the not so distant past when he wasn’t a friend. She did however; regard Jacob’s interaction with Matt curiously. There was something oddly familiar about the way his eyes watched Matt’s actions carefully, Valerie just couldn’t place her finger on it at the moment.


The way Jacob interacted with Matt aside, Valerie found Jacob’s personality electrifying. She didn’t know for sure yet but she was willing to bet her car that he could light up any room he walked into. A glow of confidence seemingly exuded from every pore of his body, even when she sensed he was unsure about something. The air of playfulness that surrounded Jacob was also a plus, any average guy his age would have gotten pissed at the gay jokes. Such games were usually only within the realm of long-standing friendships. Jacob however, accepted the game instantly and played right along.


“Do you guys want a drink?” Jacob asked casually playing the good host, leading the way to the kitchen through the jumble of boxes that currently occupied the family room.


“Hey Matt, you remember when Mr. Wilson lived here?” Val asked as she stared over her shoulder at the heavy wooden mantle they passed on their way through the living room. “Remember how he used to keep all those big glass jars filled with candy on the mantle?”


Matt’s eyes followed Valerie’s gaze and smiled in the memory of the jars filled with Licorice, gumdrops, those candy dots that were adhered to strips of paper. One of the Jars was even filled with root beer barrels. Matt’s smile broadened at the thought of appreciation Mr. Wilson had taught him of a proper root beer barrel.


“Yeah, but we were what, six, seven, when he moved away?” Matt answered the taste of root beer teasing the backs of his cheeks.


“Something like that,” Valerie agreed absently, her eyes continued to wander the interior of the house before finally answering Jacob’s previous question. “No but thanks for the offer Jacob.” Finished with her the inspection of her surroundings she turned an eye on Jacob, who was struggling into his T-shirt.


“Actually, Matt and I were coming to kidnap you,” Valerie stated, her face becoming playfully serious.


“You know, Matt is going to be driving soon, so we have this plan of using the ransom money for a car.”


Jacob and Matt chuckled at her faux plan. At least Jacob hoped she was joking with him, not that the occasional thought of being bound didn’t seem slightly thrilling, depending on captors of course.


“Fat chance,” Joanne Keats intoned as she rounded the corner into the kitchen a, large box filling her arms. “He’s a pain; why should I pay for the privilege of his continued torture? Trust me I could use a vacation from him,” she finished, setting the box on the counter at Jacob’s side.


“HA-HA!” Jacob laughed, casting his mother a sarcastic grin. “Guys this is my mom, Joanne.”


“Just call me Mom,” Joanne interrupted, her head nodding slightly, offering Matt and Valerie a warm, welcoming smile. “I hardly answer to Joanne anymore.”


“Mom this is Matt,” Jacob motioned to Matt with a wave of his hand, “and his friend Valerie.” He repeated the gesture in Valerie’s direction.


Matt stepped forward offering his hand to Joanne, who gratefully accepted it in a soft shake, a look of surprised approval at the young man’s show of manners. She couldn’t remember if any of Jacob’s former friends had offered to shake her hand when they first met her. It could have been argued that they were all but five years old at the time of first introductions then though. One never to be denied a good first impression, Valerie waited for Matt and Joanne’s handshake to finish before she, in turn offered her own.


“Best friend,” Valerie stated, correcting Jacob’s omission as their hand shake ended. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Keats,” Valerie offered with a sincere smile, refusing to be outdone by Matt in the manners department.


“Mom,” Joanne attempted to remind Valerie, “and the pleasure is most certainly mine. Anyone who would befriend my bad seed in a short few hours is definitely delightful.”


“Mom,” Jacob groaned, shaking his head as his cheeks heated.


“I’d love to stay and chat with you guys,” Joanne grinned toward her son, happy with the two people who stood before her, “but stacks of boxes have been chanting my name all morning.” She continued making her way past them and into the other room. “Hope to see more of you two,” she called over her shoulder. It wasn’t that Joanne was in an all out rush to unpack, she was. In her mind as soon as the boxes were banished from her house, it would be home. Joanne really just wanted to give her son room to make new friends without hovering around. Jacob’s best interests always came first. If allowing him to make friends meant that she would have to pull back out of his life every now and again, she was all for it.


“By the way,” she said popping her head back in the kitchen, “if you guys need anything, a gag, some rope, anything, don’t hesitate to shout. I’m sure I can scrounge up some duct tape and some of Jacob’s dirty laundry.


With Matt and Valerie chuckling Jacob’s face reddened. He even had trouble suppressing the playful laughter his mother’s comment had brought.


Matt and Valerie each took an instant liking to Mrs. Keats. The short encounter with Joanne having proven just where Jacob’s personality came from, they just weren’t yet sure about calling a third woman Mom. Already having two come running when it was shouted in duress was bad enough. Somehow the two of them came to the conclusion separately that they could now count on a third.


“Your mom seems cool,” Matt commented, trying to quell the uneasy silence that crept over the kitchen.


“Wouldn’t trade her for anything,” Jacob smiled proudly. Glad that Matt seemingly took a liking to his mom. “So where am I being kidnapped to?” he asked, his curiosity getting the better of him.


“Just a local pizza place Matty and I hang out at,” Val answered effortlessly while Matt rolled his eyes at her use of the pet name she had for him.


“Sounds cool,” Jacob nodded, agreeing to their choice. “Let me go grab the tape.”


“Quit being gay,” Matt laughed as Jacob began to walk away.


Jacob stopped dead in his tracks and slowly turned on Matt causing his heart to do an unintentional belly flop in his chest. Jacob unleashed his dimple laden devilish grin on Matt. A grin that was complete with a set of mischievously sparkling pale brown eyes. Valerie even had to admit the glimpse of the devious smile Jacob shot Matt only accentuated an already handsome face.


“Geez,” he whined, feigning disappointment, as if he’d just discovered he really wasn’t going. “You sure do know how to dash a guys bondage fantasies.”


Valerie erupted into a fit of raucous laughter as Jacob kept a straight face. Matt’s eyes widened before melting into an easy smile.


“Maybe next time,” Matt said closing the distance between Jacob and himself, his arm falling naturally onto Jacobs shoulder. “C’mon, let’s go.”


Joanne was sorting though a box that appeared to have haphazardly packed in the first place. Her face knotted in a deep grimace as she held only part of a porcelain figurine in her hand. The grimace ebbed quickly enough when the sound of three jovial voices crashed the silence of the room she was sat in. Joanne looked up just in time to see a wide smile on her son’s face. A smile she would always be convinced could fix anything that was ever wrong, least of all, a broken ballet dancer.


“Heading out?” Joanne asked the trio, barely covering the excitement she felt vicariously for her son.


“Yup!” Jacob beamed at her.


“They are leaving this house with you willingly?” Joanne asked smiling.


“They don’t have to kidnap me Ma’,” Jacob shot his mother a suspicious smile. “I told them you were abusive, they are rescuing me,” he stated flatly with a devious grin.


“Right,” Joanne conceded the game. “Where are you going and when will you be home?” she queried, the mother in her showing.


“I’ll be home later,” Jacob offered unsuccessfully, judging by the small shake of Joanne’s head.


“I have to be at work by three,” Valerie offered. “So it shouldn’t be any later than...”


“You have a job?” Jacob interrupted.


“Some would call it a job,” Valerie said, her attention veering to Jacob. “I call it indentured servitude. My Dad, however, calls it bonding.” Valerie said shrugging her shoulders in defeat. “It’s just his way of hampering my social life.”


“It gives her gas and pocket money,” Matt explained.


“What’s the use of having gas money when I’m stuck in the shop every weekend?” Valerie argued.


“We’re going to be at The Pizza Joint,” Matt offered Joanne. “It’s on Park Street, you won’t miss it, just drive down the street and it will be the first building on the right with dirty windows.”


“Alright,” Joanne laughed at Matt’s method of giving directions. “You guys have fun,” she finished, waving them off.


“Love ya, Ma’.”


“Aren’t I the lucky one,” Joanne answered Jacob’s endearment.


Jacob paused, looking thoughtful for a moment. “Yeah,” he finally added, agreeing with his mother.


“Oh just get out of here already!” Joanne shouted pointing towards the front door, laughing.

 

Jacob’s fingers danced appreciatively along the smooth midnight blue metallic paint of Valerie’s mint condition 1965 Ford Mustang convertible. He had seen her and Matt giving this pony a bath only yesterday but never connected that it was indeed hers. He watched in horror as Matt bounded over the rear quarter panel and landed in the rear seat. Jacob himself treated the chrome door handle with kid gloves as he carefully depressed the button on the door handle, releasing the latch. As Jacob sat down on the supple leather seat Valerie flicked her wrist and released the fire in the pony’s belly. The mustang roared to life with a low growl that softened into a rhythmic purr that whispered power.


Jacob barely had time to pull the passenger door closed before Valerie’s foot caressed the accelerator wrenching a menacing growl from the mustang’s V8. The force of the pony’s acceleration threw Jacob back in the passenger seat, struggling to get the seat belt to cooperate. Valerie, oblivious to Jacob’s struggle with the stubborn restraint, leaned forward and turned on the radio.


Jacob was half expecting the shrill sounds of No Doubt or The Donna’s to come pouring out of the mustang’s sound system. He was however, pleasantly surprised, as the distinct voice of Mick Jagger, rolled thick, like molasses, from the speakers. A slow easy smile spread across Jacob’s face as he relaxed into the seat, his head nodding absently in time as Mick sang about not always getting what you want.


“So Jacob,” Matt said, his shoulder resting against the seat backs of the front seat, leaning his head forward. “Tell us about yourself.”


“What do you want to know?” Jacob responded, his head still moving in time with the music. “Favorite color and crap like that?”


Matt chuckled, “That’s a start, but where are you from?”


“Sacramento,” Jacob answered.


“Did you like it up there?” Matt quickly asked, desperate to keep Jacob’s raspy voice active.


“Yeah, it was nice for the most part. Ma got a better job though, and a house,” Jacob smiled, “She’s always wanted a house. Didn’t much care for the building we lived in up there, but it was all she could afford.”


“You lived in an apartment?” Matt asked, realizing how naive the question sounded as it left his lips.


“Matty,” Valerie admonished with out going further.


Jacob smiled gently at the brief glimpse of Matt’s innocence. “It was alright,” he answered reassuring Matt that it wasn’t a dumb question. “It was home, the only one I ever knew.”


Jacob’s willingness to answer such an infantile question warmed Matt, causing a shy smile to grace his lips.


“So what do you think of Oak Meadow so far?” Valerie asked, glancing at Jacob quickly.


For his part, Jacob studied Valerie as she drove, before his gaze switched to Matt who smiling at him expectantly. “It looks promising,” he answered with an agreeing nod.


Matt watched Jacob carefully, unable to break away from his radiant eyes. His own grin widened with the combination of the prolonged eye contact and Jacob’s words. Valerie studied Matt through the rearview mirror, watching as his grin faded to a small smile that curled just the edges of his lips, the slight rose shade that colored his cheeks. For the second time this morning, there was a familiar tingle in the pit of her stomach. A feeling which threatened to burst yet, stayed small and rather unassuming. It felt like waiting in line for a thrill ride, it wasn’t the unbridled fear and excitement you experience when you actually board the ride, just the faint murmur of that sensation. It was the physical expectation of that scary, thrilling emotion. Why she felt it watching Matt and Jacob as she pulled into The Pizza Joint’s parking lot though, she didn’t know.


The trio sat on opposite ends of the booth Matt and Valerie on one side Jacob on the other, talking about nothing in general. Matt had brought up sports at one point, to which the pair had learned Jacob played football at his last school. When asked if he was would be joining there school’s team, Jacob simply shrugged, mentioning he wasn’t even going to be enrolled in school until the next morning. That led the conversation to which teachers he should request. Of course, they all were teachers who either Matt or Valerie had this semester. That only then led to a list of teachers he should avoid like the plague. Jacob found it funny that the lists seemed to overlap on more then one occasion. Somewhere in the middle of their conversation, the waitress appeared practically dumping the pizza in the middle of the table. Her lips smacking annoyingly around a piece of well-chewed gum as she nodded, giving a greasy smile and moving back behind the counter.


Jacob grabbed a piece of the pizza, his face scrunching as he set the slice down on his plate and began to remove the unnaturally yellow chunks of cooked pineapple and discard them. Valerie lifted her slice of pineapple and pepperoni to her mouth soundly ignoring Jacob’s apparent disgust.


“So what does your dad do?” Valerie asked, looking up at Jacob who had just taken a tentative bite.


Jacob slowly chewed the bite, the sweetness of the pineapple clearly discernible. His eyes studied Valerie as he slowly chewed before swallowing. “I dunno,” he answered after wiping his mouth with a napkin, giving a careless shrug. “Never met him.”


It only took a second for Val to go from jovial, to feeling like an utter ass, a feeling she didn’t quiet relish. The booth they sat in got quiet as Jacob resumed eating, wishing he hadn’t said anything. Matt and Valerie were left staring at each other each silently, pleading with the other to say something.


“They aren’t that great all of the time anyway,” Matt dared say after a prolonged silence, giving in to Valerie’s scornful look. “My dad has an annoying habit of making you regret breathing sometimes. Don’t give you a shred of privacy either,” Matt added, remembering the morning’s interruption.


“I guess,” Jacob muttered, “Me and Mom do just fine with out him. I couldn’t imagine who ever he is being around anyway,” Jacob said, pulling another piece of now pineapple-less pizza towards his mouth. “What does your dad do?”


“He’s a board member on the City Council, before that, he worked in the City Planners office, but he’s got political aspirations now. Wants to run for congressman in the next election or something,” Matt said, uninterested, his finger idly spinning a fork on the table top. “Other than that he bursts into my room with out knocking. If that was a profession, he’d be the best,” Matt added with a sarcastic smile.


Jacob nodded at Matt in understanding before his eyes slowly turned on Valerie. “Yours?” he questioned.


“Oh daddy is a good ol’ boy,” Val answered easily lifting a piece of pizza to her lips.


Jacob peered at her not understanding.


“He’s a mechanic,” she continued in a muffled voice, her hand hiding her chewing mouth. “The whole family has been mechanics. My great grandpa, grandpa, all my uncles, Oil just runs in their blood,” she tried explaining, before taking another bite.


“That’s cool,” Jacob’s face brightened, “and it explains that bitchin’ Mustang you drive.”


“Daddy always promised, he’d get me a pony someday,” she joked. Jacob and Matt visibly relaxed, laughed with her.


“It’s a nice car, wish I had one,” Jacob admitted his envy, blushing slightly.


“Oh trust me, my turning sixteen was just the excuse for daddy to buy one,” she giggled. “He’d rather drive that around than his truck, but he won’t let me anywhere near the truck, says its way too big for his little girl to be driving,” the small group laughed easily, the tension forgotten.

 

An hour later, Valerie found herself regretting the vision of Matt and Jacob standing side by side shrinking in her rearview mirror. She may have only met Jacob a few fleeting hours ago yet she found herself looking forward to the next time they could get together. It was with that in mind, that she assured him he would have a place to sit at lunch the following afternoon and every lunch thereafter. An offer which made Jacob smile with appreciation as he told her she could count on him showing up. Meeting Matt and Valerie had almost erased any trepidation Jacob felt over the coming school year and its unfamiliarity.


Jacob and Matt spent the next few hours assisting Joanne in unpacking and moving items through out the new house, before Matt said his goodbyes in order to finish some forgotten homework and a few chores his father expected him to finish. Matt really didn’t want to go, but he found the thought of his father’s ire more distasteful than the alternative. He was even pleased when Joanne crushed him in a solid hug. A hug which she refused to release until Matt gave in and called her Mom. With a ruffle of his hair and a promise that he would return, which Matt agreed to before Joanne was even finished, she sent him on his way across the street.


“Well,” Joanne sighed as she closed the door leaning against it as she gave her son and appraising look, “are you ready to go back to school?”


“Yes!” Jacob answered without trepidation, a broad grin spreading across his face.

 

“It’s been over a year,” she reminded him cautiously, her brow furrowing with worry.


Jacob closed the distance between he and his mother. “It will be different here,” he reassured her with a light kiss to her cheek. “I won’t screw it up this time, I promise.”


Joanne gave Jacob a look which spoke volumes, trust, understanding, but most of all that what happened with the school district in Sacramento wasn’t entirely his fault.

Copyright © 2011 shadowgod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Okay, so the innuendo and all aside, I am assured this story will be about Matt and Jacob. Wonder what Matt was thinking about when his dad walked in on him pleasuring himself. 
 

But there is one thing I don’t like about Jacob already... who doesn’t like pineapple on their pizza 😳

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..