Jump to content
    shadowgod
  • Author
  • 3,755 Words
  • 2,861 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Living in Surreality - 24. Chapter 24

chapter 24:
: edited by viv :


"USC?" Valerie questioned with a pout while adjusting the gold and white scarf that hung over her shoulders and down to her mid back. Matt had heard the same simple question many times in recent weeks, ever since he decided on USC over the art school he had previously planned on attending in San Francisco.


"USC," Matt confirmed, grinning at Valerie's encroaching sense of loss.


"You've been dreaming of attending The Institute for the Arts since eighth grade," Valerie complained. She hadn't tried the 'killing one of your longest dreams' approach before, and hoped it might have some resonance on their graduation day.


Matt's grin faded into something less exuberant, and ultimately more assured, as the reserved smile just curled the corners of his mouth and twinkled in his eyes. "Sometimes, dreams change," he said, feeling a rush of color to his cheeks.


Valerie opened her mouth to argue, but in the end she conceded his point with a resigned smile. "I'm going to miss not having you there every day."


"Geesh, Val, I'm not dying, just going to a different school," Matt said crinkling his nose, making a stupid face in effort to bring Valerie to chuckle at the absurdity of this conversation. "Besides," Matt continued, realizing the lame faces weren't working, "we still have the whole summer before it comes to that."


"Most of which, you and Jacob will spend shacking up," Valerie said, turning to look at herself in the mirror again, her voice tinged with a trace of bitterness. "Speaking of, shouldn't he have been here by now?"


Matt smiled to himself, shying away from Valerie's gaze in the mirror. He liked the fact that Valerie showed regret in their separation, if only because it showed that she was going to miss him. He felt level in that respect with her, a feeling Matt didn't often get in respect to the young woman he was standing next to; she had always been the leader. Always the one to instigate their combined actions through the years they'd spent growing up, growing together and now, growing apart.


Neither of them were sure if it was a conscious choice or not, but it was there, hanging around them, a disparate growing fog blurring the life they once shared in unison, urging them along two separate paths. Matt knew he could still see her, maybe not as clearly as he once could, and in times of need, he could reach out and feel her, knowing that she would be there forever, as would he.


"He's out taking his road skills test," Matt answered finally, shaking the visual of a fading Valerie from his mind.


"You got the jacket right?" she asked, her mind changing to the black leather jacket with red racing stripes down the left chest panel. Matt nodded; the gift was securely hanging in his mother's closet. "He's going to look hot in it," Valerie observed, echoing the exact phrase Matt had used when he picked it out.


"Well he is," Matt defended his statement as his cheeks colored.


Valerie beamed, glad she could still make Matt blush so easily, thankful for the next few months before the pursuit of higher learning stole them from each other. "Have you heard from your dad?" Valerie asked, switching the direction of conversation with natural ease.


Matt frowned. "His office mailed me a copy of his itinerary for today last week, other than that, not a peep out of him in three weeks."


Valerie sighed for Matt, draping her arm over his shoulder and she pulled him in for a quick, tight hug. She knew all about the words that Matt and his father had exchanged, and knew that even though Matt was sticking to his guns, a certain sadness and regret crept into his voice whenever anyone brought the subject up. She, herself, could have given a care less, but she didn't care for Richard on many levels. Her empathy came from realizing what it would be like if her dad was no longer there.


"It'll be okay Matty," she whispered, taking a moment to kiss his temple.


"I know," Matt responded with a sour chuckle. "It's just..."


"I know," Valerie said, soothing him with both her voice and a hand rubbing his upper arm.

 

 

"Clear my schedule," Richard said, throwing on his sport coat.


"Mr. Porter?" the assistant questioned, unsure of what he implied.


Taking a moment, he back-pedaled and looked down at the young male college sophomore Catherine had insisted replace Mary. Speaking clearly and slowly, Richard repeated himself as if he were giving instruction to a kindergartener. "Clear... my... schedule."


"But," the young man attempted, pointing at the revered appointment book.


"Listen," Richard said with growing impatience, "my son is graduating today, and I'm not missing it," explaining himself no further to the assistant Catherine had thrust on him. Richard walked away; annoyed that he should have to explain himself to some low-level staffer.


Richard had made it a whole twenty feet before he spied Catherine stalking up to him in his peripheral vision. He thought twice about staying his course and ignoring the woman, but relented at the last second.


"I thought we talked about this," Catherine said as she sided up to him, a smile on her face, but venom on her lips.


"We did," Richard agreed with an accompanying nod.


"I thought we decided it was best if you just didn't go to this function," she purred with malice.


Again, Richard nodded; this nod however was only acknowledging her statement. "You and Matt decided, completely separate from one another," Richard corrected. "I only agreed not to speak at his graduation; I never agreed not to go."


Catherine crossed her arms as her eyes and lips narrowed, clearly not amused or impressed at Richard's double talk. "It's a bad idea," Catherine hissed.


Richard took a moment to scan the room, making sure others weren't watching him before he stepped in close and seized Catherine by the elbow, shaking her slightly. "No," he said in a gruff low voice, "the bad idea was listening to you, where my son was concerned in the first place."


"At least you realize it was your mistake," Catherine cooed with a sneer as she pulled her elbow free of Richard's grasp. Richard stared at the woman in silence, having no way to fight back at the accusation she leveled at him. Straightening his blazer by pulling at the hem, Richard turned and walked out the door.

 

 

"Whose is that?" Valerie asked eyeing the dark red GMC Sierra that sat curbside in front of Jacob's house with a good amount of neighborly suspicion and curiosity.


Matt shrugged, but had his suspicions of who the truck belonged to. "Jacob said his grandparents and aunt were driving down, maybe it's theirs," he suggested without knowing the answer.


Matt's suspicions were confirmed after he pressed the doorbell instead of just waltzing into the house as he had taken to doing recently. The door flew open with so much dramatic flair that it caused both Matt and Valerie to jump in place. Holding door the open stood a woman who looked like Joanne, she had the same facial features, even if her hair was cut short, and dyed blonde, over the dark brown base. In her hand she held a tattered stuffed bear and a blue envelope.


"You must be Sweets," Josie said smiling at Valerie. "Welcome to the club, hun." Josie's gaze then turned slowly to Matt. "That means these," she said, handing off the bear and the blue envelope to Matt with a devious gleam in her eyes, "belong to you."


Matt accepted the stuffed bear and card with a bit of apprehension, feeling like a total jerk for receiving a gift from a person he didn't know, while Valerie received nothing. Matt gave Valerie a sideways look and a small shrug of his shoulders, not knowing how to respond to Josie for the unexpected gifts.


Josie stood in the doorway blocking their progress, smiling with the same devious sparkle in her eyes as she waited for Matt to open the card. "Well," Josie commented drumming her fingers on the edge of the door, "aren't you going to open the card?" she quipped, never losing her smile.


"Umm," Matt said, unsure as he handed off the stuffed bear to Valerie to hold. Nervous under the woman's gaze, even though she seemed good natured enough, Matt ripped into the blue envelope open. The cover was a typical graduation card with a mortarboard and tassel, a scroll, and reading 'Congratulations!' in a celebratory font.


Curious as to why the woman would be so demanding to have him open a graduation card, Matt looked up at her quizzically. Josie just nodded down at the card again, urging him to open it as she bit back the laughter brewing within. Matt gave Valerie another nervous look just before opening the card and dropping his gaze down to the picture it contained.


Matt's eyes bugged and his mouth dropped open in delighted shock as he snapped the card shut immediately. Josie broke out in the raucous laughter she had been holding in since watching Matt open the card, Matt's checks flushed red as he began laughing as well.


"What?" Valerie asked, eyeing them both with suspicion, feeling left out and annoyed. Matt just shook his head as he handed the card off to Valerie.


"That," Josie said with sincere amusement, "is what you've gotten yourself into."


"What did you do?" Jacob asked, approaching the door for the first time, noticing the bear Valerie held as she opened the card.


Ignoring Jacob's protests and letting the stuffed bear slip from her grasp and into Jacob's, Valerie opened the card. "Oh... my... God!" Valerie gasped, clutching her mouth with her free hand as she started to giggle.


Jacob paled, realizing that he held Mr. James in his grasp, and remembering Josie's earlier threat. "You didn't," he gulped looking at his aunt who was smiling proudly as she nodded.


"I did," Josie said with a measure of triumph in her voice. "I told you I was going to give it to him, didn't I?"


"How did you get this?" Valerie asked with some measure of amazement as she continued to stare at the picture the card contained.


Jacob's cheeks burned with the sly smile that crossed Josie's face. "Oh, that is an interesting story in itself," Josie commented, laying a hand on Jacob's shoulder as she turned her attention from Valerie to Jacob. "Do you want to tell them or should I?"


"I..." Jacob stammered, wishing he hadn't been ribbing his grandfather over buying a GMC when he had been a Ford-guy for years. Had he left his 'Pa' alone he would have been able to answer the door ahead of Josie, and hopefully blocked the picture he knew was in the card.


"I was heading down the coast with some friends," Josie began, seeing that Jacob wasn't going to be explaining anything anytime soon. "So I stopped off and picked up my digital camera that I had left over at my sister's apartment. Nothing looked out of the ordinary until I was scrolling through the pictures I had taken of Fisherman's Warf and I came across this picture of Jacob grinning like a mad man, nude with his stuffed bear covering his crotch." Josie shook her head looking entirely mournful, "Poor Mr. James."


"What?" Jacob shrugged, sheepish but trying to remain macho about the story. "It's not like any of you haven't..."


"No," Valerie interrupted as Matt nodded his head in agreement, then, shook it quickly disagreeing with Valerie's statement when he was sure she wasn't looking.


Jacob raised his brow, intrigued by Matt's disagreement, "Really?" he asked with a sly smile.


"Don't look at me," Matt rebuffed holding his hands up. "I draw," he added with a wink.


"Boys," Valerie said with a huff and a roll of her eyes, astonished with what young guys do with themselves when left to their own devices.


"What?" Jacob argued with a smile. "It's completely natural to be curious about your own body."


"Okay," Valerie interrupted with a wave of her hand. "First of all, I can't believe you just said that in front of your aunt. Second of all, whatever!" she said shoving Jacob's shoulder as Josie looked on laughing at their back and forth. "Anyhow, Matt and I stopped by to see if you wanted a lift to school."


"Pa is letting me drive his truck," Jacob said, a little too excited as the color drained from Josie's face.


Completing a cross, her hands moving from her forehead to each shoulder in turn, Josie clasped her hands in a position of prayer as she commented to Matt and Valerie, "Pray for us." Matt and Valerie both laughed at Jacob's aunt's antics.


"Shuddup, you," Jacob said grinning while angling Josie into the house with an elbow. "That was Josie," Jacob said with a nod of his head in the direction Josie had padded off in, laughing still. "You'll have to forgive her she's a lil' loopy when she goes off her meds," Jacob said, hollering the last part loud enough for Josie to hear.


"I like her," Valerie decided, also shouting loud enough for her voice to carry to the interior of the house.


"Do you guys wanna come in?" Jacob asked, beckoning them in with a jerk of his head, "You can meet Pa, and Gram," Jacob said.


"We have to be heading out," Valerie answered with hesitance, as she was looking forward to meeting Jacob's family.


Jacob's face fell, "I guess," he answered. "They'll be at the ceremony so..."


"Boy!" a gruff voiced hollered. "You weren't born in damn barn, why don't you invite your friends in?"


"They were just heading out, Pa," Jacob smiled with warmth at the barrel-chested man who, moving stiffly, came into view, staring out the door. The man took a moment sizing up both Matt and Valerie, before jutting out his hand to both of them.


"Sweets," Jacob's grandfather barked, causing Valerie to jump slightly.


"Yeah?" she answered sounding meek in the face of this man's authority. Jacob senior issued her an odd look as she replied.


"Yes, dear?" an elderly woman said coming into view. Jacob Sr. mumbled something that neither Matt nor Valerie could comprehend, but Jacob understood as he went about making introductions.


"Gram, this is Valerie and Matt," Jacob said remembering his manners, introducing the lady first where his grandmother was concerned.


Matt shook the stately woman's hand, noticing how fragile it felt in comparison with the paw of Jacob's grandfather. The fingers were delicate, the skin cool and soft, as it hung on the fine bone structure of her fingers. Matt even luxuriated in the genuine smile that fired the woman's green-grey eyes.


"Nice to meet you," Matt mumbled with a scant nod of his head.


"Likewise, dear," Jacob's Grandmother said placing her hand on Matt's shoulder and giving the musculature there a slight squeeze.


It may have been nothing, just politeness, but to Matt, the gesture felt like so much more, as if the matron of the Keats' clan had given her approval and welcomed him into her family. The welcome of her hand, the gentleness of her eyes, all made Matt feel proud to know and love Jacob.


"Hey kids," Joanne said appearing at the door, handing her mother her purse. "Almost set, Jacob?" she asked as Jacob's Grandfather mumbled something in Jacob's direction again.


"Yeah Ma'," Jacob said, "No, Pa, I wont scratch your truck, I promise."


"Where are your parents guys?" Joanne asked as she watched Josie and her own parents shuffling down towards the large, red GMC.


"Mom's with Kitty and Dan," Matt answered. "They left about twenty minutes ago."


"Do you guys need a lift?" Joanne asked, looking momentarily worried about logistics if they did need a ride.


"No, I've got it, Mom," Valerie smiled.


"Well, we'll see you after," Joanne smiled leaning in to hug Valerie. "I'm so proud of all three of you," she said before hurrying down to her parents and Josie who were waiting by the truck for Jacob.


"I'll see you guys there," Jacob smiled, feeling a mix of excitement and loss.


"Yeah," Matt said shuffling where he stood, wanting to give Jacob a quick kiss goodbye but not sure how such a display would play out with the grandparents, or Josie.


"Hey kid," Jacob said grabbing Matt by the arm lightly and pulling him in. "I'm happy," he said, his eyes sparkling as he leaned in and gave Matt a quick kiss.


Matt's cheeks flushed. "Yeah," he said in a rush of moist breath that flooded over Jacob's chin and down his neck into the collar of his dress shirt.


"So, am I ever going to see this drawing?" Jacob asked of the image Matt had hinted at in a devious whisper.


Matt thought for a second as an impish grin spread slow across his face, "Only if you promise to recreate the picture for me."


Jacob played at checking to his left, then his right, making sure no one was with in ear shot before settling his loving gaze back on Matt. "I think that can be arranged," Jacob said with a wink and another quick peck on Matt's lips. "See ya in a few," Jacob said giving Matt's upper arm a soft pat. "You too, Sweets."

 

 

The grounds of Grove High School were packed to nearly overflowing. Everywhere the eye traveled, bouquets of colorful balloons could be seen, often topped with one or two silver Mylar printed with a jovial message of 'Congratulations!'. Beneath the floating messages were masses of people milling about, carrying flowers and gift bags of every shape and color, hugging on a family member clad in a robe of emerald green or dark yellow that was supposed to be gold.


Looking down, Richard perused the printed program in his hand; it contained a list of events in the graduation ceremony of Grove High, including a complete listing of the graduating class by name. The program also urged that immediate family occupy field seating only, asking that any members of a students extended family; aunts, uncles, and cousins, to view the ceremony on the video feeds in both the little theater and gymnasium.


Richard debated the merits of watching the video feed in either the gym or theater. He didn't want to watch his son graduate on a screen. He wanted to be sitting out on the sports field watching the ceremony, baking in the sun just like the rest of the deserving parents.


The stage on the field was small, twenty feet long and half as wide, an arrangement of chairs in a dais around a central podium. A large white backdrop had the school's mascot emblazoned in the center, flanked by the School District's and California State seal on either side.


Underclassmen representatives of the GHS student government were acting as ushers, dressed smartly and passing out copies of the program to anyone who had yet to receive one. Richard flashed his copy of the small grey-colored program with an uneasy smile at the green-eyed kid who tried to hand him another, pushing his way through the milling throngs as he headed towards the bleachers.


The aluminum bench of the bleachers was hot as Richard took his seat, stinging quickly through the silk of his dress slacks. He felt awkward and oversized sitting up so high. The discomfort of the seat offered him a supreme vantage point, allowing him to pick out Viola, Dan and Kitty with ease, as they grabbed up a set of the white folding chairs placed on the field. He idly thought he should be down there with them as he watched the seats fill in, both on the field, and the stage.


The high school band pumped out Pomp and Circumstance March 1 in D-minor as the graduates filed onto the field in roman columns, taking their seats between goofing off with one another and scant waves at family members that could be picked out of the crowds. It wasn't the best rendition of the march that Richard had ever heard but it was played valiantly, if occasionally off key.


"Son, or daughter?" the man seated beside him leaned over and asked as the principal began giving a speech about the merits of the graduating class.


"Son," Richard smiled, beaming with pride as he glanced at the man who had asked the question.


"Mine too," the man smiled, a distant pride glimmering in a pair of light brown eyes Richard had never learned to appreciate. Both men held back the fact that neither of their sons knew they were there. Richard had been asked to stay away in no uncertain terms, and the other had never met the son who was about to graduate.


The principal spoke, as well as the Superintendent of the school district. Valedictorians gave speeches including Valerie, who spoke of walking blindly through life, following a path filled with dreams and expectations thrust upon you. She talked of the strain such expectation puts on a person, and of a person meeting someone who challenged their path, challenged their dreams, forcing them to reevaluate those selfsame dreams. She told the graduating class to welcome such challenge, to seek it out. Valerie received a rousing ovation for the speech.


Valedictorians having given their speeches and recognition given to students that had been awarded scholarships, Pomp and Circumstance began to play again as the principal read off the names of the graduating class. Each student rising in turn as their name was called, and walking up one side of the stage, receiving their diploma and shaking the Superintendent's hand. Richard clapped when appropriate names were called, while the stranger beside him clapped for everyone, maybe a little more here and there.


The ceremony concluded in normal fashion, and once the Superintendent had pronounced the class graduated, a loud cheer erupted, surpassing even the din of applause and mortarboards flying through the air. Richard smiled as he stood, his legs sore from sitting on the hard metal, gave a congratulatory nod in the direction of his son before making his way down the scaffolding steps and out of the school grounds.

 
 

Copyright © 2011 shadowgod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I was surprised that Jacob’s father didn’t go and say hello to his son,

I wonder if Joanne as been seeing him? 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..