Jump to content
    shadowgod
  • Author
  • 6,489 Words
  • 2,746 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Living in Surreality - 25. Chapter 25

chapter 25:
: edited by viv :


"Do it again," Joanne shouted with glee, the shutter on her camera having acted too quickly to catch the moment where Valerie and Matt had leaned in to give Jacob a quick kiss on either side of his face. "I didn't get it," she continued, re-aiming the lens of the camera for a reenactment of the spontaneous kiss.


Valerie readily agreed, pursing her lips with a slight chuckle, she grasped Jacob by the chin and planted her lips on his right cheek again. Matt, laughing, was not to be outdone by Valerie for the picture. Grabbing a hold of the front of Jacob's dark green gown, Matt pulled himself into Jacob and planted a kiss equal to Valerie's on Jacob's left cheek. Stuck in the middle, Jacob threw his arms over Matt and Valerie's shoulders, and aimed a cocky self-assured grin at the three additional cameras that were trained on the friends.


The moment frozen, Joanne rushed forward and untangled her son, pulling him into a fierce hug. "I'm so proud of you," she whispered, squeezing him to her for effect. "I'm proud of all of you," Joanne said louder, letting her eyes wander up from Jacob's shoulder, spying Matt and Valerie as they looked on looking pleased.


Jacob's grandmother was next in the line up of congratulatory hugs, followed quickly by Josie, who had to comment that she never thought she'd see the day while she pushed him off her playfully. Jacob laughed with his aunt, realizing just how much he had missed her over the last year. The last in the line to give Jacob a hug was his Pa, the older man was as silent as ever as he moved in to crush Jacob in his strong hug. Even though Jacob's grandfather tried to hide his watery eyes, Jacob spotted them before being collapsed in the man's hug.


"Boy," came the choked whisper from the man's wise lips.


"Pa," Jacob echoed the horse whisper his grandfather had issued him.


I'm proud; the words never left his grandfather's lips. Instead, Jacob Sr. squeezed the emotion into his grandson with a tight, lingering hug. Jacob felt every bit of the man's pride, wrapped in his arms as he was. In the odd fleeting moment, Jacob realized that there was nowhere else in the world he would rather be, wrapped in the moment, and the powerful arms that held him. In them, he felt safe, felt welcome, and above everything else his grandfather had never told him, he felt loved. Stepping free of his grandfather's loosened grip, Jacob wiped at the moisture he felt on his own eyes as he beamed with the pride he felt erupting his chest.


Leaving her son to his revelry, Joanne gave her son one last quick hug accentuated with a light kiss to his cheek before she backed off. Her retreat, the signal to the remaining three people Jacob had always known, backed off as well. Jacob watched, a small smile playing at his lips, as his grandfather threw an arm over his mother's shoulder and pulled her tightly to him.


Jacob watched as his family walked away at a slow pace through a sea of abandoned white folding chairs. Aware, in his solitude, that both Matt and Valerie were undergoing the same ritual of pride and congratulations, it wasn't long before he noticed the familiar form of Viola approaching while Matt and Valerie stood in the distance talking with Dan and Kitty.


"You've been good for him," Viola said, surprising Jacob as she stopped in front of him clasping both hands on a small black clutch. Jacob's smile faltered somewhat with her words, only to return at twice the magnification.


"Not all..." Jacob attempted to reply.


Viola eschewed his rebuttal with a graceful arc of her fine boned, well adorned hand. "He's been good for you; all that is left is being good to each other."


Jacob flushed as he looked away from Viola, finding the yellow splotched, green grass far more inviting a vista. "I..." he began, gathering the courage to look her in the face again.


Viola smiled with expectation, hoping for the words that Jacob was struggling to push out of his throat.


"I love him," Jacob said, finding the words as he glanced over Viola's shoulder to see Matt laughing, his head lodged between Dan's thick arm and the side of his chest.


"Congratulations, Dear," Viola whispered leaning in and delivering a light peck on Jacob's cheek. She followed the small kiss with an eased rub and pat of his arm before she, too, walked away, shrinking into the horizon.


"So," Matt asked sneaking up beside him.


"This is it huh?" Jacob asked taking a moment to look around at the familiar surroundings destined to become memory. Matt, chewing on his bottom lip, only nodded in agreement, as he joined Jacob in an appraisal of the school-yard that had proved a second home.


"Not really a bad thing," Matt added, earning a sideways grin from Jacob.


"Definitely," Jacob agreed, throwing his arm over Matt's shoulder.


"Finally," Valerie huffed as she walked up, looking pleasant enough while waving to the final set of fleeing parents.


"Didn't want to let you go?" Matt asked, knowing how clingy Dan and Kitty could be at the most inappropriate times.


Valerie rolled her eyes. "They asked if we were going to grad-night."


"No, right?" Jacob asked, confused as to what they were doing to celebrate.


"Definitely no," Valerie answered looking exasperated. "Besides, we had to purchase those tickets, like, three weeks ago."


"Good," Matt piped up. "I'd rather spend tonight with you two instead of the entire graduating class."


"Oh come off it, Kid," Jacob said playfully slugging Matt in the arm. "You know you'd love to be on any of those rides between my legs." Jacob joked throwing his arm, once again, over Matt's shoulder. Matt didn't answer. He appeared to ponder the idea, before shrugging his defeat.


"Did you pass your road test?" Valerie asked, brushing the innuendo off. Jacob beamed, fished through his pockets pulling out a slip of paper that was a temporary license, handing it off to Valerie. Valerie examined the paperwork and shook her head in distaste. "I'll never understand the DMV," she said, handing the paper back to Jacob.


"They gave you a license," Jacob rebutted, snatching the license from her hand.


"Don't make her argument for her," Matt warned with a smile aimed at the two of them.


"You little shit," Valerie grumbled, slapping the air where Matt's shoulder had been.


"Hey Valerie!" came a shout from beyond the trio in a deep, unnatural, steroid-seasoned voice. The three turned in time to see Jay Henderson come trotting to a stop. His stature was impressive, tall with broad shoulders earned from spending three years as the school's star line-backer.


"Hello, Jay," Valerie answered coldly, ignoring the ogle of amateur seduction Jay was leveling at her.


"Hey, Henderson," Jacob sneered stepping forward, sensing Valerie's discomfort.


"Oh, bastard," Jay said with a menacing smile. "I didn't see you," he continued, annoyed with the presence of Jacob and Matt, the two people he wished were off molesting each other somewhere.


Figuring Jay wasn't worth the fight, even though he would for Matt or Valerie, "Blow me, bitch," Jacob said, waving Jay off.


Jay gave a slight chuckle, as if the thought of him subjugated, on his knees, in front of Jacob would ever happen, "I'd rather bend your punk-ass over and show you what a real bitch does," Jay said leering at Jacob while groping his crotch obscenely.


Jacob took a step toward Jay before Matt caught his arm, his fist clenched and cheeks flushed as he scowled at Jay through squinted eyes. The rumors of his relationship with Matt may have been confirmed at the prom, but as far as Jacob was concerned, it wasn't Jay Henderson's, or anybody else's place, to pass comment on it.


"I've wiped that simple look off your face before, ass-wipe, don't make me do it again," Jacob sneered as he tried to wrench his arm free of Matt's clenching grasp.


"Aww c'mon, baby," Jay smirked, doing his best to trace the girth in his khaki pants while maintaining eye contact with Jacob. "You know you'd like it." Laughing off the look of smoldering rage brewing in Jacob's eyes, Jay turned his attention back to Valerie, "Call me," he continued, composing himself with a wink in her direction.


Valerie crushed any hopes Jay had of her calling him the only way she knew how, knowing it would piss him off in the process. She stared Jay down for a moment as a small smirk played on the corner of her mouth before turning round to face Jacob who was still sneering at Jay, oblivious to Valerie. Rectifying that situation, she grabbed Jacob by the chin and kissed him with as much passion she could muster.


Jay stood dumbfounded at the display, while Matt just went slack-jawed; unable to believe what he was seeing was real. Her kiss delivered the desired effect, as the tension and anger dissolved and he melted into her. Breaking the kiss, Valerie gave Jacob a sly wink and turned to Jay delivering him an innocent smile.


Continuing this game of suck-and-blow sans playing card, Jacob turned and planted just as fierce a kiss on Matt, this time allowing his hands freely roam over Matt's back, creeping up his neck and pulling him further into the kiss. Matt didn't shy away from the kiss as Valerie might have expected, instead, he took the game and ran with it, caring little about who might see him kissing the man he loved.


Jay's smart mouth failed him in the moment, as his face flushed red. With balled fists, he turned and stalked off, his perennial confident stride diminished in the face of his defeat. Valerie gave a slight cough before clearing her throat a little louder in an attempt to break up Matt and Jacob without turning a hose on them. Jacob smiled at Matt as he broke the kiss at Valerie's insistence.


Matt's cheeks where flushed with exertion as his eyes narrowed at Jacob. "You better not have enjoyed that," he stated plainly.


Jacob chuckled lightly before giving Matt another quick peck on the lips. "I always enjoy kissing you," he smiled.


"Not what I was talking about," Matt chuckled, untangling himself from Jacob and pushing him away.


"Let's get out of here," Valerie laughed, ruffling Matt's hair before seizing his hand in hers.


"I'm driving," Jacob announced breaking into a dash for the student parking lot and the pony that awaited the trio there, leaving the sounds of Matt and Valerie's hearty laughter behind him.

 


The grounds were mostly deserted now, save for a few milling families and faculty members who were chatting underneath tall eucalyptus trees which bordered the school's central mall. On days prior, the grassy expanse would be filled with students. Their book bags propped on one side as they sat on the grass, lunch scooted to the other while text books lay splayed before them. The same group of kids could be found in the far right corner, kicking a hacky-sack between them, while the athletes would sit, front and center, on the wide cement steps displaying their lettermen jackets with pride, no matter what the temperature.


Today, this same field was abandoned, feeling much like a ghost town with its promise of a brighter tomorrow after that tomorrow was realized, and gone. The buzz and energy of the previous school year now just a fleeting echo floating on the afternoon breeze as discarded commencement programs danced along the clumped grass, mingling with streamers and confetti on occasion, before moving on.


Matt, Valerie, and Jacob ran into a few scattered friends along the way, exchanging hugs and hand shakes, as well as well-wishes for the summer and whatever lay beyond. Aside from the few minor hold-ups, their trek to the parking-lot and the midnight-blue stallion that awaited their arrival was largely undeterred.


As they reached the Mustang, Jacob turned and cupped his palms just in time to cradle the growing swath of plastic and metal Valerie referred to as keys. Jacob groaned as he began searching through the tangled clump searching out the one of three keys that would ignite a fire in the pony's belly. Valerie snickered at Jacob's search through the jumble of key chains as she climbed in the passenger side of the Mustang.


Ignoring the sound coming from Valerie, Jacob climbed in the driver's door while still fumbling with the knot. In a fluid motion, Valerie leaned towards Jacob and snatched the clump from his grip. She presented the key with a quick flick of her wrist, before sliding it into the ignition.


"I swear that's an anti-theft device," Matt commented, hopping over the rear fender and sliding into the seat behind Valerie. "She doesn't have to worry about losing her keys, if she does, the stallion won't show itself anyway."


"Tell me about it," Jacob said before groaning, his eyes locked on the deep-red hair scrunchie encircling the shift knob that his hand hovered over. His eyes rolled toward Valerie, who was sitting in the passenger seat staring straight ahead, biting her bottom lip, trying her best to contain the laughter that was building in her chest. "Mascara isn't going to be rolling around the floor boards while I drive is it?" Jacob inquired arching a brow at Valerie.


"Don't be silly," Valerie answered, struggling with the sillies that were quickly encroaching on her. Failing she continued, "It's in the glove box where it belongs with my spare bra and panties." Matt erupted into uncontrolled laughter, followed in short order by Valerie as she watched Jacob shake his head with indignation.


With a quick twist of the ignition, the classic roared into life as Jacob revved the accelerator menacingly. The tires squealed as Jacob dropped out of neutral and into first, then into second as Jacob roared out of the parking lot and onto the surface streets, his actions garnishing angry honks and other more colorful gestures from his fellow motorists. They were, of course, little concern to Jacob, this horse was born to run wild and free. Who was he to deny such destiny?


Valerie reached for the scrunchie straddling the shifter, using it to contain the fury of her brown hair against the wind racing over the windshield as Jacob made his way to his favorite stretch of road. Wild Oak Road; four miles of snaking, pot-holed asphalt that led to the old Reche granite quarry, their secluded haven whose inviting crystal waters were hard to deny on almost any California day.


The local rock station blared through the Mustang's speakers, as Jacob raced along straight-aways and hugged corners that began to appear with more frequency. The loss of pavement forced Jacob to drop his speed. Sun bleached shotgun shells and old Budweiser cans littered the narrow dirt trail among other various decaying relics of the quarry's past use. Slipping the pony past one last bend and down a hill, the engine purred to a stop.


"Jacob," Valerie commented, opening the door, "there's a six-pack in the trunk, but I'm driving back," she said pulling up the bag that rested at her feet in the foot-well, removing a large bright-blue terry blanket.


"Gotcha," Jacob said with a grin before hopping out of the driver's seat and rounding the rear of the car. He moved so quickly in his search for his prize, Valerie could barely distinguish the pop of the trunk with the click of the pop-top on the can of beer. Closing the trunk with a thud, Jacob walked around the rear fender carrying a small ice chest.


"Matt, you want?" he questioned holding his half-consumed can of beer aloft.


"Sure," Matt was just able to answer before a cold can landed in his lap. Jacob finished his can and was intent on stripping out of his clothes before Matt could even take his first gulp of the bitter, refreshing liquid. Shirt, under-shirt, pants, socks and boxers all quickly landed in a heap next the rear passenger tire.


"C'mon Kid, you're lagging," Jacob said, lightly slapping Matt on the shoulder, "shag that ass out those drawers, boy," Jacob said before turning on his heel and racing off down the short embankment, leaving the all too familiar image of his backside for Matt and Valerie as he jumped into the placid waters.


"Tell me Val, am I crazy?" Matt asked as he began unbuttoning and unzipping his trousers.


Valerie issued Matt a chuckling sigh, pulling her arms inside the sleeves of the shirt she was wearing, and began fussing with her bra, "No," she replied, pulling the bra out from under her shirt and snatching up her bikini top from where it had been set on the passenger seat. "He's infectious, and flawed, and perfect," she said with a smile, "stop questioning it."


Matt issued Valerie a small shrug, his eyes drawn out to the waters of the quarry, just in time to see Jacob's upper body push through the clear surface. Matt's eyes were locked on Jacob as he shook his head and slicked back his hair before wiping the water from his eyes and brow. The breath caught in his throat watching rivulets of water gleam trails down Jacob's chest and abdomen before colliding with their origin.


Valerie knew the look on Matt's face, the distance in his gaze. The way the shallow breath was trapped, held hostage and puffing his chest with want. She even remembered the first time she had witnessed the look, in a toy-store some thirteen years ago as Matt stared with envy, at a bright red bike.


"Go on," she whispered, leaning close enough to Matt that he could feel the cooling of her breath as it washed down his neck. "I'll be down in a few moments." Matt held his stance, barely acknowledging Valerie's whisper save for the exhale he admitted. "He's only gonna be hollering for you in a few moments," Valerie said, ruffling Matt's hair before pulling her shirt off, revealing her bikini-clad breasts.


Needing no further prompting, Matt discarded the last remnants of his clothing, dumping them in a pile on top of Jacob's by the rear fender. Without a word to Valerie, Matt took off in a run, up a nearby bluff, before throwing himself over the edge. For a second he was weightless, the sky his only support as he descended into the crisp water below with Jacob shouting his approval the whole three seconds the sensation lasted.


The roar of Jacob's cheering was replaced by the thunder of air rushing skyward in a tornado of bubbles, swirling around him in their desperate escape. Matt enjoyed the feeling, suspended in the water as he was, with aerated water rushing in torrents up and around his thighs.


Breeching the surface, air filled the vacuum in Matt's lungs as a pair of familiar arms snaked around his waist. Following the hug, warms lips placed themselves on the nape of Matt's neck and slowly worked their way north before nibbling at his earlobe.


"Hey Kid," Jacob breathed, grazing his lips over the sensitive skin of Matt's ears. "What took you so long?" he asked, nipping at Matt's lobe. "Where's Sweets?"


Matt smiled, luxuriating in the warmth of Jacob's chest against his back. His body demanding more of the addictive contact, Matt pressed himself further into Jacob before twisting around in his loose grasp and lightly kissing him on the lips.


"She's coming," Matt promised. "I had this crazy idea of making you wait in anticipation," he continued with a sly smile before looking down at the water-filled gap that separated their groins. The contrast of flesh against dark granite in the crystal clear water left nothing to Matt's imagination. Jacob's hard-on seemed to bob and pulse, distorted by the fluid motion of the water around them. "Hmm... Looks like it worked."


Jacob's cheeks reddened. "Yeah, I suppose so," he breathed, the corners of his lips curling upward as he looked down at the apex of Matt's legs, "but he's got a friend."


"Oh?" Matt asked, acting surprised as his brow arching as he grinned.


"Yup," Jacob grinned. "They've messed around a bit in the past."


"Really?" Matt countered. "Do I know this friend?" he asked, comfortable in playing along with Jacob.


"I sure hope you do," Jacob smirked looking at Matt while pulling back enough to allow his hand to snake through the water and encircle Matt's dick. The sudden heat of Jacob's hand in the cool of the water startled Matt, making him hop slightly in surprise. "This," Jacob said with a wink as he gave Matt's dick a gentle squeeze, "is his friend." Jacob said as Matt began to laugh and pulled him closer. "Tell me you love me, Kid," Jacob whispered releasing Matt's growing erection so he could hug him close, "Promise me you'll love me for the rest of my life."


"I... I can't," Matt stammered as his hands played small circles over Jacob's nude shoulders. Jacob pushed off Matt, his eyes instantly searching out Matt's eyes, looking for a trace of the lie Matt had just told. Jacob's heart sank, as he couldn't find a hint of the lie on Matt's features.


"Why, Kid?" Jacob croaked earning a sly smile from Matt.


"I can't promise the rest of your life, only the rest of mine," Matt said as his smile spread.


"Oh, you shit," Jacob smiled, his eyes sparkling with relief as Matt began a chuckling laugh that turned into something more hearty, and boisterous.


"Face it," Matt gasped between laughs as he backed away from Jacob, "that's why you love me,"


"C'mere," Jacob said with a wave of his hand as he waded on Matt's retreat, "I'll show you why I love ya," he continued as his calm, stalking advance turned into a rushing pounce through the water. Grabbing Matt in the tackle, Jacob began a light roughhousing with him, capturing his arms, and dunking him under the water only to let him rise smiling and sputtering. Their bodies twisted around one another as they continued to play, rolling off one another as limbs flew in all directions followed by an arc of water.

 

 


Valerie slid through the refreshing waters with a practiced ease, letting the combined sounds of Matt and Jacob's excitement draw her in like a moth to a flame. Her heart thundered with vicarious excitement as she neared, yet she maintained her relaxed pace until she happened upon the squirming mass of flesh.


She smiled, watching as Matt was crouched in the shallows, his arm hooked under Jacob's knee that he held aloft as he was trying to knock Jacob's other leg out from under him while being held in a friendly headlock by Jacob. Valerie giggled, hearing Jacob joke and taunt Matt, as he wrapped the leg Matt was holding onto around Matt's abdomen.


"Starting without me?" Valerie asked with an insincere pout complete with a matching set of puppy-dog eyes. Jacob relaxed the head lock he had on Matt as Matt's grip on his leg faltered, allowing the limb to slide down his lower body.


"Sweets," Jacob shouted with as much enthusiasm as a toddler in a candy-store as a wide smile crossed his face that dissolved, just as fast as it had emerged, into a mischievous grin. Glancing over his shoulder quickly at a familiar ring in Jacob's voice, Matt caught the impish tinkle in his and matched it with a wink before turned his attention back to Valerie. Valerie's curious smile faded as she made the connection between the two faces staring at her.


"Please, guys," Valerie said with a nervous chuckle as she began to back-peddle through the water, "don't..." Her pleas for mercy came too late as she watched the two boys crouch into the water like a pair of lions in tall grass.


Valerie squealed, turning in the chest-high water, attempting her best to run from her pouncing attackers. She would have done better to kick off and begin a freestyle stroke to break away; she couldn't clear enough distance before they struck, trouncing their prey into the shallow water. Matt's arms quickly snaked their way around her midsection as he collided with her, and with a shrill yelp from Valerie, he plucked her from the water and lifted her into the air.


Valerie's arms flailed, trying her best to slap her way free of her current situation. Her pathetic attack halted as she felt Matt sway backwards beneath her.


"You wouldn't," she said with narrow eyes and a big grin, a grin matched with ease as he shifted the weight over him just a little further, allowing gravity to take over and pull the two of them, her kicking and screaming, into the water. "Matt, you shit," Valerie screamed, surfacing as she wiped the water from her clenched eyes and tossed her mop of wet hair back. Turning she found him, his body slack in the shallow water as if he were sitting on an invisible chair, a grin of triumph plastered across his face.


"Wipe that stupid smile off your face," Valerie chided as a small wave of water rushed from her hand and collided with the side of Matt's head.


"Matt, what a sacrifice, Kid," Jacob cheered as he waded up to the pair, turning Valerie's attentions on him.


"Don't make me start on you," she challenged, placing her hands on her hips.


"But," Jacob said with a broad grin that brought an eye-roll from Valerie before he had a chance to finish, "I like when you start stuff with me," he said with a wink.


"Yeah?" Valerie questioned, arching her brow.


"Yeah," Jacob answered in voice laced with desire, no matter how transparent it was to Valerie.


A matching flood of water headed Jacob's direction after leaving Valerie's hand. "Go take a cold shower," she teased rolling her eyes.


The remaining hours of sunlight played out much the same way, Matt and Jacob jumping from bluffs between rounds of splashing and general horseplay spiced with other adventurous pursuits while Valerie headed back to the dry land in an effort to tan.

 


Yellow-hued headlamps scorched the twilight as Jacob and Matt lay nude, wrapped in a fleece blanket, Jacob's fingers teasing the ridges of Matt's spine as his hand grazed along Matt's back while they watched the stars bloom in the warm summer sky.


"If we hadn't ditched tonight what would we be doing right now?" Valerie asked from where she was reclining in the passenger seat of the Mustang watching the same sky, her tone absent.


"Standing in line," Matt answered with a sigh nuzzling into Jacob, enjoying the sensations firing from his back.


"Nah" Jacob piped up, a grin neither Matt nor Valerie saw spreading across his face. "We'd be on a ride with one of us between the others' legs; oh wait, done that already." Jacob's chest shook as he rolled with silent laughter while Matt groaned.


"Pig," Valerie intoned, reaching down to slap Jacob sharply on the side of the side of his head.


"Ow..." Jacob yelped between laughs.


"Well boys," Valerie said with a lazy sigh as she pulled herself from the passenger seat, "I think it's time to pack up."


"Aw..." Jacob groaned. "I still have half a beer left."


"Finish it while I get dressed," she offered


"I could finish it while I watch you get dressed," he countered, his wagging eyebrows going unnoticed in the waning light.


"Jacob, babe, anyone ever tell you that you have a one-track mind?" Matt offered.


"I do not," he chuckled turned his gaze to his chest where Matt was resting his head smiling up at him.


"Cutie, just because the train operates in forward and reverse, that doesn't disprove the fact that it's a one track mind," Valerie joked as she retrieved her abandoned shirt and pulled it over her head. Jacob sat silent for a few moments, thinking about the comment and mourning the loss of Matt's warmth as he ventured off to gather their clothes.


"It's not my fault you enjoy the track," he mumbled looking at Matt before swallowing the last swig of beer. Jacob's eyes crossed from Matt, to Valerie, watching as Valerie gathered their small haven up while Matt was busy getting dressed, pulling on a pair of boxers. "Hey, punk," Jacob shouted tossing the empty can to the side, "those are my boxers."


"Not anymore, sexy," Matt wagged his brow pulling the waistband over his pubic region.


"Sweets," Jacob hollered, craning his head to look at Valerie while pointing a finger in Matt's direction. "Tell him to de-ass my drawers!"


Matt issued Jacob a lecherous grin as he turned and slid the waistband of the boxers under his rear giving Jacob a show. Jacob let out a loud whistle, cheering Matt on in his strip-tease.


"Would you two knock it off, and get dressed already?" Valerie said growing impatient. "I'm kinda hungry"


"Do we have to?" Jacob sighed, his eyes gazing out on the last purple vestiges of sunset dancing off the water.


Matt slowly padded behind Jacob where he sat down and pulled him to his chest, rocking him gently in a hug. Jacob sighed with content in the security of Matt's embrace as Matt held him close. Valerie's resolve melted as she took in the sight before her finding in their love for one another a beauty she couldn't argue with.


She was hesitant to interrupt the tender moment they were sharing. Her heart was content to enjoy it vicariously. She loved when they were able to steal quiet moments like these, and she loved it even more, when she was able to witness it. Matt and Jacob cuddled long after the silvery light of the moon had washed over them, moving only when they heard Valerie rustling in the velvet blue darkness just beyond the light of the headlamps.


"You ready yet, babe?" Matt whispered, his words washing over Jacob's neck as Matt nuzzled into the flesh there tenderly. Jacob nodded with relative ease as he stirred from his position, off in search of his clothes.


Jacob opted for a fresh pair of denim shorts over the pants he had worn earlier, pulling them on with nothing underneath he fished his belt though the loops and cinched it closed. Valerie emerged from her seat in the darkness, and helped Matt shake the terry blanket free of sand before the two folded it haphazardly.


The three of them tidied their alcove, collecting their empty cans and other assorted trash before piling into the car, Matt hopped in the back clad in just the claimed boxers while Val took the driver's seat and Jacob sat shotgun fiddling with the knobs on the stereo. Under Valerie's direction, the Mustang pulled away into the night, bathing their retreat in the red glow of tail lights.

 


The car ride was quiet and Matt had fallen asleep to the purr of the pony's engine and the sensation of the summer eve racing across his body. Jacob turned in his seat, noticing Matt sound asleep before he turned back and lowered the volume, allowing Mick Jagger and his Wild Horses to fade into the night.


"Do you think I'm crazy?" Jacob asked, sounding uncertain. Valerie gave Jacob a sideways look as she continued to drive, her eyes glancing at him before spying Matt's near nude figure in the rear view mirror.


"The two of you worry about your love too much," she sighed with a small smile as she glanced at Jacob again. "You guys are perfect for each other, Cutie."


Jacob turned his attention to the dark shoulder of the road, catching glimpses of shrubbery they raced past in the slivers of peripheral light thrown by the Mustang's headlamps. He wanted to ask more, wanted to ponder the easy answer she gave, ultimately he decided on giving her a sincere smile.


"What?" Valerie asked, unsure of where Jacob's smile came from.


"Nothing," Jacob responded. "It's just... I love ya, Sweets. I don't tell you, I figure you know, but..."


"I know," Valerie smiled as her heart swelled. "If, if things were different..." she trailed off, looking away.


"If things were different?" Jacob asked arching his brow.


"Never mind," Valerie said giving Jacob a reassuring smile, which Jacob pondered for a moment.


"He still can't call you Sweets though..." Jacob said, causing Valerie to laugh as she pulled the car into the parking-lot of The Pizza Joint.


Valerie found the notion of any type of jealousy rising between them laughable. If Matt ever did happen to call her Sweets, which he never had, Jacob would only hoot and holler before wrestling him to the ground and stealing the air from his lungs by way of a deep kiss. Valerie slowed the Mustang, pulling into a parking spot on the side of the building. The lack of gentle motion from the car roused Matt from his short nap, but he kept his eyes closed.


"You gonna roust Matt?" Jacob asked checking on him again.


"Is it my turn?" Valerie asked with glee as she set the parking break with a yank. Jacob nodded as he watched her climb and lean over the seat back. Valerie stretched her hand out and tweaked one of Matt's nipples, receiving no response except for a small upturn at the corners of his mouth.


"What was that?" Jacob scolded Valerie with a smile.


"I was waking him up." Valerie retorted. "If you think you can do any better..." she continued.


Before she could even finish, Jacob had his torso wedged between the driver and passenger seats, doing the same as Valerie had done to Matt only substituting his mouth for her fingers. The muscles on the flat of Matt's stomach tightened as he tried to suppress a building fit of giggles while Jacob's mouth slowly moved up his chest, over his collar-bone and inched up the side of his neck


"Get a room," Valerie gasped, watching as Jacob put on a show for anyone who happened to look in her back seat.


Before long Matt's taut stomach was shuddering with unheard laughter while tears squeaked out the corners of his eyes. Finally able to take no more, he pushed her hand away and propped his body against the side of the car.


"Geez," Matt gasped, pushing Jacob off him. "I was awake," he said trying to catch his breath.


"We know," Valerie smiled, resting her chin on the seat back as she peered at her best friend. "So, are you going get dressed, or are you just going to parade around in those pirated boxers?"


Jacob snickered at Valerie's comment on his forfeited boxers while Matt's cheeks deepened with a modest blush as he made a quick scan of the desolate parking lot. Valerie chuckled at Matt's obvious, covert glance as she opened her door and stepped out. Matt was just as quick to jump from the Mustang after double-checking the coast was clear.


"I'm gonna go grab us a booth and order," Jacob said, walking off towards the Pizza Joint's entrance.


"Kay," Valerie smiled in Jacob's direction before her eyes settled on Matt as he pulled a pair of shorts and a T-shirt from the rear seat. "You know, he's crazy about you," Valerie commented watching as Matt pulled the pair of shorts on, echoing their earlier conversation at the quarry.


Matt paused in his efforts to get dressed, giving her a lost look as his hands fumbled with the clasp on the shorts he was now wearing. Matt offered a weak shrug, not knowing what to say to her.


"Don't question it, Matty," she said, stepping into him and planting a soft kiss on his cheek, "just accept the crazy and run with it," she smiled with a wink.


"I know," Matt said issuing Valerie a blushing smile, "and no Sweets, it's his thing with you. We've shared our whole lives together, he wants something of his own with you," Matt said before pulling on the t-shirt and slipping his feet into a pair of shoes.


"You were awake," Valerie smiled grabbing Matt's arm, leading the way into the small eatery.


Jacob was sitting in the back corner booth looking bored as he doodled on a paper menu, a pitcher of soda sat on the glass topped table before him with three empty glasses. His face lit up with a smile as Valerie pushed him over followed quickly by Matt, leaving bench on the opposite side of the booth empty.


"I ordered pizza, chicken wings, and antipasto," Jacob exclaimed, beaming as he tossed the menu aside. "Sorry, Sweets, no pineapple, that stuff has no place on a pizza."


Valerie huffed, giving Jacob a scornful glare as she reached for the pitcher of soda and filled the three glasses. "What kind?" she asked setting the pitcher of dark liquid down on the table.


"Three-meat," Jacob smiled. "Pepperoni, Canadian-bacon, and sausage."


"Men," Valerie huffed, her head shaking as she rolled her eyes. Matt laughed at Valerie's response and took the opportunity to slap a high-five over Valerie's head with Jacob. "When do you get your bike?" she asked about Jacob's not-so-secret graduation present.


"Yeah?" Matt added his voice to the question setting his cup down.


"Mom and I go and pick it up tomorrow," Jacob said, already feeling the thrill of the engine vibrating between his thighs. "It's gonna be awesome," he continued with a sated smile. Matt and Valerie smiled at one another, knowing more about the bike's arrival than he apparently did.


The waitress sauntered to their table some fifteen minutes later, her makeup-plastered eyes casting a suspicious glare from the huddled trio to the empty second seat of the booth. The scene had become less and less shocking over time. Over the last several months, they had been coming to the little dive and it had become a slow migration from both sides of the booth, to the trio huddled together sharing just one side.


Matt, Jacob, and Valerie sat in the back of the pizzeria, listening to the various classic rock and doo-wop favorites as they belted out of the brightly hued Wurlitzer, sharing the food amongst them. Forks, hands grazed across separate plates, stealing chunks of abandoned meat, a forgotten celery stick or sharing the last piece of pizza. Matt and Valerie shared an occasional smile during the meal, knowing that as soon as it was over, Jacob would have the present he had been waiting for.

 
 

Copyright © 2011 shadowgod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..