Jump to content
    Stellar
  • Author
  • 6,393 Words
  • 5,624 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Spirit of Fire - 9. Already Claimed

Mine.

I don't know if it was because the eye-to-eye closeness resembling the psychological challenge issued shortly after his hatching, or if it was the low tone of voice and the words he used, or if it was simply that he was truly a being that could kill me at the click of his fingers, but ... the word scared me.

"Y-yours?" I stammered, in half-whisper.

"Yes, mine." Araziah repeated it, emphasis on the possessive. The left hand resting on my shoulder slid along and up my neck until he was holding my right cheek, his thumb almost brushing the edge of my lips. It was an unexpectedly affectionate gesture, and though it should have been creepy or menacing coming out of nowhere, instead, oddly, I felt protected.

Safe.

It was very confusing.

"You chose this when we met." He continued to speak, still in a whisper. "I am glad you accepted it. Finding another so suitable would be a lot of work, and I did not wish to cause you hurt. You are ideal, and spilling your blood would be a crime."

Chose this? Accepted it? My heart was beating so quickly, and I had no idea whether I was meant to feel terrified or grateful. My nerves were flipping back and forth between the two extremes, and I didn't know what to say. Suitable? Ideal? For what? Why?!

"You are still thinking on it, I see." Amused, he gave a little smile, and again, for some weird reason, I didn't feel any of the attitude and ego I was expecting. Just an honest reaction, a touch of humour, and a tiny bit of ... tenderness? Slowly, his hand slipped back down, returning again to my shoulder, his pitch raising to a regular volume. "The old woman, Celeste, was here not long ago. Her concern that I would rush to the aid of the so-named Conclave was as misplaced as her belief that I need to 'free myself' through the goals of her Order. In truth, it will be neither."

"Neither?" I found my voice again. "What makes you think you can be free of ... him? All of your kind hear it. You just told me, it's not so easy to ignore."

"Think?" Araziah was incredulous, and his next words were overflowing with certainty, and heavy with a self-confidence so strong that it was staggering. "I know what I am, and that is the heir. The Conclave will come begging for my help before this is over, lamenting that they did not pursue my favour with more effort." He gave a little shake of the head, dismissive and lordly. "No, I have no master but myself, and if there is to be a new dominion, then I am the architect." He squeezed my shoulder, again. "Yes, that is what we will be doing."

We?

I couldn't let him keep dictating everything to me.

This has to stop. I'm not his pawn.

"I'm sorry, but I'm not going to do as you say." I chose a defiant tone, firm but fair. "I can decide what to do without your approval."

His hand came away from my shoulder, his expression hardening, sharpening. "Are you ... denying me?"

"I make my own choices." The spectre I faced was in appearance just a teenage boy, like me, but in reality, he was a monster of flames and magic. There was no forgetting that. Still, I kept eye contact with him, determined to stand my ground.

I'm not a puppet to any of these creatures, no matter what they want from me.

I can't be.

"So, you disown your covenant, even though it was forged so beautifully, so honestly? Then, it is 'choices' and walking into a danger you do not see." His eyes showed a growing anger, pure and seething, that his voice and expression kept in check. "He will betray you. Torsten, I give you the grace of my patience -- right now, right here -- but I give this only once. It is precious." His words were soft, careful, and completely lacking any of the affection from earlier. "Think carefully. If you refuse me again in the future, you will no longer be ... protected."

Before I could respond further, Araziah pushed by in a regal swish of red hair and pale skin, and exited out the front door.

Fuck!

My own anger was steadily increasing in the absence of the fear of what he might do, and I dumped my school things on the entryway floor. Marching to my room, I fetched my bow, arrows, and the practice targets. Stomping out to the yard, I set them up in a line on the back fence.

Why is he such an ASS?

The first arrow thwacked into the backing left of centre and a bit lower than it should, my aim clearly off.

The first proper conversation we have and I'm meant to just obey everything he says? I didn't agree to ANYTHING like that!

The second was worse, higher and further left. I grunted, frustrated now as well as pissed.

Betrayal? Theo is one of the few people who hasn't tried to fuck me around since this all started. If anyone's going to mess with my head, it's more like to be Araziah than him.

The third arrow hit the target dead on, a perfect shot.

Wait a second.

A new thought occurred, something I had overlooked during the emotions of the last few minutes.

Why had Araziah not forced me to obey?

Why didn't he use his power and command me to do what he wanted, when there was literally nobody and nothing stopping him? Everything I had learned about dragons so far told me that it would have been so easy for him to do that.

Too easy.

But ... he hadn't.

Instead, he wanted me to agree voluntarily, because I had already 'accepted it' and spilling my blood was 'a crime.'

Whatever the hell that means.

The fourth arrow hit just to the right of centre, close to the bullseye, but not quite.

Then, again, there was Theo.

Theo. Kissable and huggable Theo, the 'boy' I want to explore this with, the one I want to save, the one I am kinda, sorta, gay for.

"Ah, fuck." I sat down on the grass, discarding the bow next to me, and put my hands over my face. "Am I really 'gay for him' or is this just more angst?"

Quit lying to yourself, Torsten. You like him and you fucking know it.

"Oh god. I am." I said it out loud, to myself. "I can't deny it. I am totally gay for Theo."

Though, one other thing was certain too: I was going to avoid mentioning this to Lucy for as long as possible.

She was fucking right. Damn her. Damn her and her stupid 'fujoshi' instincts. How does she just ... KNOW?

I'll never hear the end of this.

-o-0-O-0-o-

It was a surprise to find out that the apartment was already inhabited when he entered it, but Theo's shock was momentary. It was his brother, absent since earlier in the day, uncharacteristically silent and not answering messages. While it was typical for the role to be well-played and adhered to, any unscripted departures were a concern. Combined with the shooting incident at school, Theo had become worried.

Now, here was the answer.

"Took you long enough." Darren was on the couch, sitting forward, his posture tense and stressed, and Theo cautiously took a seat next to him. He was holding a bottle, his hair and clothes were disheveled, and he was much paler than normal. The reason was immediately obvious; the shirt on his right side had a blood stain and a bullet hole in it. "Been waitin' a while. What'd you do, crawl your way back?"

"What the hell happened?" He stared at the damaged shirt, the bottle, the messed-up appearance. "It was you they shot?"

"Mmhrrm," Darren grunted, a half-agreement, then he took a swig. The bottle was a half gallon, with black and red Cyrillic font on it, and it was more than a third empty, the slug Darren took subtracting another mouthful. "Saw 'em first, was on my way out when some recreant quim did the Order's work. Not just regular shot, but an imbued-magic special thing."

"And ... this?"

"Alcohol disinfects. Dulls pain. What d'you expect, that I walk by every human in the city, bleedin' and drawin' crowds? S'why I came here." He shook the bottle back and forth, the vodka sloshing inside. "Liquid balm will do 'til I can get some real healin' from one of ours, but ... enough of me. Where were you?"

Theo had to think quickly.

"Doing as I was asked." He lied, smoothly and proficiently. "Getting closer to Torsten Wilde. Trying to finish this."

"Torsten." Darren's tone was cavalier and uninterested, and from the exaggerated mannerisms and clipped enunciation, it wasn't hard to tell he was a little drunk due to the 'pain relief'. Draconic resistance was such that the effect was somewhat lessened, but, then again, he had consumed a generous amount of 45% alcohol-by-volume Russian vodka, so it had taken a toll. This was buttressed by how forthcoming and unusually blunt Darren was, the capacity for frank conversation greatly increased. "His mother I would fuck any day, and I can't say that about many humans, but ... that's not it. No. No no." He put the bottle down on the low lounge table in front of the couch, and turned fully to his left, wincing slightly from the wound. Theo's school bag was taken from him and dropped on the floor, and his brother clasped his shoulder, a serious fraternal sentiment present, the two of them face to face.

Does he ... know?

The fear was very real.

"You think I don't understand? You think I don't see?" Darren's hands rose, and gripped Theo's head on either side. "Nero cares not, but for the worst demands of divine justice, and our eldest? He is ambition itself, thinkin' only of the great cause ... but then there is ... you. The youngest and best of our house. The one I would show to them when they call us monsters."

"Darren." He whispered it.

"He told me about your ... interest, and it's plain to me that he understood correctly. You can't save this boy." The grip tightened a little, eyelids heavy, expression grievous. "Listen to me. Our eldest has other things to deal with right now, but he will not forget this, and he won't let it go. Some agent of the Tempest murdered the sire of the Fourth House. If they are strikin' at the Conclave's own members and huntin' the rest of us wherever we are, then things are further along than we thought. Our time is almost up."

An assassin?

The Conclave was very secretive and very careful.

How did this happen?

"We can't delay. We have the incantation, but we need to find the Fear. Forget your misgivings and do it. If not for our kind nor the Conclave, then for me. Do it for the love we share, little brother." He pulled Theo forward, their foreheads touching, a whiff of alcohol on his breath. "You must live to see our new world. You must protect the family honour."

"I- ... I will."

They parted a little, and Darren let go, but he was not finished. "You have to, but if you can't, then I will force the issue so you are spared the consequences."

Force the issue?

Despite the heat of his essence, the flame within, Theo felt a stinging chill at those words.

"Force it? How?"

For the first time during their conversation, Darren smiled, and it was an unfriendly smile.

"The Scourge." It was a simple statement that needed no elaboration. "Human cultists have a use. It will take a few days to gather what I need, but if you're not done by then, it'll be too late."

Too late.

The words rang in his ears, a terrible and resounding counter to the hopeful possibility Torsten had offered earlier that very same day. Theo wanted that chance. He wanted to try for his heart's desire. He wanted for things to be different.

Yet, the situation was soon going to be pushed forward, one way or another.

"How long? How many days?"

"A week. Maybe five or six days." He turned back to the lounge table and hefted the liquor again, staring thoughtfully at the red and silver label. "If you're lucky, Torsten might survive, but the Atkinson bitch?" Darren grinned, his teeth showing. "I'm going to eat her alive. Limb by limb."

-o-0-O-0-o-

The world beyond the front door was not something Araziah knew in his current form. Not only was the human body still unfamiliar, but his reactions to the surroundings and other humans were new. There was a cursory understanding that gave him enough to begin with, but further?

He needed to learn more.

The street was a quiet one, the neighbourhood seemingly well-to-do, a comfortably middle-class zone. Houses were in good condition, the traffic was only occasional, and it had the feel of tidiness and safety. Despite Torsten's intransigent cluelessness, this was what Araziah wanted: a habitable environment lacking disturbances and problems.

Acceptable, so far.

Yet, traversing this place on foot was not the wisest idea. The heat and roughness of the sun-warmed curbside did not bother him, but he knew it was common for humans to wear shoes. He also knew that his current appearance, with the unusual colour of his hair and eyes, might attract attention. He twisted a strand of it around a finger as he considered the best course of action, idly feeling the soft and smooth texture, a foreign sensation to what he was used to.

The human form was so different.

For him, it was smaller and more contained, but not weaker as he might have thought. His power, his essence; it was all there, just concentrated.

For now though, he needed a method of exploration, or perhaps ... observation?

Line of sight was needed, and from some place high.

A glance each way down the street was confirmation; there were other people visible in both directions, but none close enough to notice him, nor care about what he was doing.

Perfect.

He stood straight, took a breath, and focused.

For a moment, the air about him wavered, his vision blurring, and there was a quiet shiiu, an acute tone of magical juncture and compression, the skill activating.

Araziah vanished from the street, transported away from suburban Mirrorvale ...

... and reappeared, surrounded by trees; the atmosphere cooler, sunlight broken, a light breeze coasting through the hills around the town. It was isolated here, a little touch of wilderness right next to the bustle of a human town.

Immediately, given privacy, he switched forms.

Air puffed away, displaced from the altered mass, and he sat back on his haunches. It had only been a day, but the scope and speed of his continuing growth was evident. Already, his wingspan was that much greater, limbs longer, weight increased, senses sharpened. The fire inside was more potent, and all this he took in with satisfaction and righteousness.

Day by day, Araziah was becoming stronger and more capable.

He knew, deep within, that his destiny was to become greater than all of them.

Many of his own kind would resist, but they would accept it or they would die.

He glanced down at where the wound was, barely able to see it for how close it was. The juvenile scaling was in regrowth over where the damage had occurred, though now, he could barely feel any sort of discomfort from the injury. There was no pain nor restriction, and it pleased him that it had regenerated with such vigour.

This was the first and last time such a petty weapon could hurt him.

Content, he examined his surroundings, locating the tallest and sturdiest tree he could. With small effort, he clambered onto the base, and then ascended, pulling himself easily through and around the branches until he came to a spot near the crown where he could balance, and sit at rest.

From this vantage point, he could see most of Mirrorvale, spread out below him.

Line of sight.

The binocular zoom of his predator vision was in play, and Araziah scanned the town with it, memorising every detail he could. Layout, distance, direction, peculiarities of shape and style, notable buildings, main thoroughfares, the flow and movement of the human population. The more distant suburbia was difficult to fully catalogue from the angle of his elevation, but he still made sure to see it. All of Mirrorvale he studied, letting it sink into his mind, broadening his library of possibility.

If Araziah had a visual recollection of it, he could go there.

More than that, he was looking for a hint of trajectory, and, ultimately, location. He had not seen which route the other had taken during departure, and neither could he see that individual on foot through Mirrorvale, even though it was undoubtedly the case.

Yet, it did not matter.

He was patient.

He would return here as often as needed, bide his time, decide the best method of approach, and then act.

Since Torsten would not comply -- not yet -- Araziah knew that it was necessary to take care of this 'Theo' himself.

-o-0-O-0-o-

Over the weekend, I didn't hear anything from Theo at all, not even a single text message. It seemed like the bad timing with Celeste on the street had spooked him somehow, and I was seriously hoping he didn't have second thoughts. Despite the warnings I'd been given that he wouldn't keep his word to me, that he'd somehow hurt me, I just couldn't believe it. I was convinced he wanted things to change. His intentions really did seem true, but there was still that niggling uncertainty.

Then there was Araziah.

I told my mother about the commanding way he spoke to me and the attitude used. We agreed that if he tried to turn the situation into anything worse, one of us would ring Agent Crawley immediately and ask for help. It turned out this wasn't necessary, because when he returned later, he barely spoke to me. In the days after, that stayed the same, though his interactions with her were civil, and could even be called polite. He was hardly talkative, but he did show a sort of subdued appreciation for the things she did to make sure he was comfortable.

Though she knew, as I did, just what he was, she learned his preferences as if he were a real teenage boy living under her roof. She discovered that he could eat vegetables, but simply didn't like to. Of course, he loved meat, which seemed logical to me given what he was, but to her, it made him no different than the average American male. He liked red meat over white, and was split between wanting it charred to a crisp or so raw it was dripping blood. Condiments were also a point of unexpected fascination; each sauce or dressing was approached with a mixture of curiosity and suspicion, not knowing whether it would improve or ruin the meal.

Another thing she did was buy clothing and shoes for him that fit better than mine. Apart from his height, he wasn't really much bigger than me. Mom always had a good eye for detail, and managed to choose what suited without having to get any sort of measurement. Her intuition didn't fail her, and her choices were very appropriate; dressed in her selection, he wouldn't stand out in a crowd, except for the hair.

Whenever it wasn't worn completely loose, he opted only for a single fastening at the back of the head that drew most of it to flow behind him. The rest that wasn't gathered up -- from around his temples and forehead, and below his ears, including the blonde shocks -- hung down and forward over his shoulders and chest. If it wasn't for his 21st century clothing, there was no end of comparisons I could think of to anime characters, and, increasingly, to those from fantasy. His features had an alien touch to them, and a sort of beauty and glamour that could be enchanting and unique. In those thoughts, he was a human visiting from a strange unorthodox land, or an elven wanderer, aloof and mysterious.

It turned out, also, that wandering was something Araziah did a lot.

Over the weekend, he spent most of the daylight hours out of the house, and did not explain what he was doing nor where he had been. This was fine with me, because it gave me a chance to catch up with Lucy, and find out about her altercation with Darren, and to finish some neglected homework.

Theo wasn't at school on Monday either, nor Tuesday, and it wasn't until I was arriving home on that day that I finally received a text from him. It was an apology for his silence, and a simple request: to come see me.

I was alone at home; my mother was working, Araziah was out somewhere else, and Lucy was busy with after-school stuff elsewhere.

I agreed immediately.

I wanted to hear whatever was news with him, and ... I just wanted to see him.

Less than half an hour later, there was a knock at the door. I let him in, and he entered cautiously, glancing around the lounge. He seemed tired and a bit stressed, his mane ruffled and messy, though he smiled when our eyes met. "Sorry I left you hanging for a while."

I didn't say anything back. Instead, I leaned close and hugged him. For a moment, he froze, stiff, then he relaxed and hugged me back, at first loosely, then he squeezed me close.

"It's okay." We let go of each other, and parted some. "I was a bit worried, but I know it's complicated for you."

"Torsten, I feel better just talking to you, and, I was wondering, uh," he stumbled, looking away nervously at the wall, then ceiling, then back to me, "if, I could, maybe, kiss you?"

Again, I chose actions, not words.

At the same time, so did he.

We met in the middle. He pulled me a little closer to him, and his mouth slid over mine fully. My second kiss was like the first; gentle and brief and lips only, but it was a few seconds longer, and when we split, we were both smiling. His hand slipped into mine, and I held it, simply enjoying the novelty and excitement of what we had just done.

I just had my second kiss.

"So, um," I grinned, biting my lip, "what's up?"

"I, uh- ... I'm under a lot of pressure." He swallowed, squeezing my hand. "Things are happening with the Conclave. There's less time than I thought to get out of this."

"You can't wait until Friday? Celeste said she'd be back by then."

He shook his head. "I don't think I can. Is there anyone else from the Order I can speak with instead?"

"Well, uh." I hesitated, thinking if I should involve him or not. I probably should. This is pretty important, right? "I do have the number of a guy who might help. He's a bit ... different, but he seems to know about everything. He did also, um, shoot the dragon that was working at our school, the counsellor."

"Darren?" Theo blinked, surprised. "That's my brother."

His brother?!

"Oh." I grimaced. "I'm sorry. He won't hurt you though. Not if I explain things. I can ring him right now, if you want?"

Theo nodded. "Yeah, we should do that."

I didn't get to say anything else, because there was a sound from behind us; the rear slider door opening. I turned just in time to see Araziah pushing it closed, the latch clicking firmly into place.

Fuck.

Stealthily, I let go of Theo's hand, and stepped back from him. Araziah's eyes were wide, the rest of his face deadpan. Theo was staring too, and the tension in him had gone from non-existent to maximum in a second.

"It's Theo, isn't it?" Araziah walked four short paces closer, to the edge of the kitchen tiling where the carpet began, head held perfectly level all the while, not breaking eye contact.

"And you are?"

"Behind you is the door, Theo." He turned his head to the right, just a touch, eyes still staring death sidelong. "Use it while you can."

Theo didn't budge. "If that's what Torsten wants."

"Torsten isn't telling you." Araziah took a fifth step, onto the carpet, and the casual intimidation couldn't have been more pronounced, nor more frivolous. "I am, and you should take my offer before it ... expires."

He looked at me, questioning, and everything in his posture told me he wanted to stay, even though I knew it would be dangerous if he did. "Is that what you want?"

"Um," I swallowed, anxious, jitters hidden beneath my self control, "it's probably best you do. I'll text you tomorrow."

"Okay." Theo nodded, his gaze flicking from me to Araziah, where it went scornful, the contempt running into a wall of pure animosity. "I'll be going then."

With that, he turned, and exited out the front door. As soon as it shut, I couldn't hold back.

"What the hell is your problem?" I pointed a thumb behind me to the door, and the recently vacated guest. "Why did you do that?"

"Oh, now you think you're in control? The fire you show is admirable." His left eyebrow raised, and he gave a lazy grin, both appreciative and mocking. "Since you will not protect yourself, I will do it for you."

"Protect myself? I'm in no danger, and that's not your choice to make!"

"You forget: all your choices are mine to make." Smug, arrogant, he was making me angrier with every passing second, and there was nothing I could do about it. "You've still got that chance, Torsten. That one chance to willingly follow the path you pledged to. While you reflect on the absurdity of your actions, I'm going to take a nap." He stretched, his arms, back arching like a cat. "All this scaring off pretenders is so very tiresome. Wish me pleasant dreams."

Araziah padded away to the spare bedroom, bold and unaffected, while I was left to stare, speechless and furious, at his departure.

-o-0-O-0-o-

Though the Order had several outposts scattered around the United States, it was the compound at Northwood that served as the headquarters for their American ventures. Celeste's decision to visit had been mostly unannounced, which was why it came as a surprise to find the leader waiting to greet her when she emerged through security into the facility proper.

Fineas Ridefort was a portly bell-curve of a man, standing tall at 6'6 with most of his bulk centred around his stomach. Often seen wearing formal grey pants, suspenders, and a pinstripe button-up collared shirt, he was in his late 50s, easygoing, and perpetually ruddy-faced. Button-nosed, he possessed a voluminous handlebar mustache, twinkling blue eyes, a hastily-groomed thatch of flaxen hair, and a welcoming vocal timbre.

"Countess de Rothberg-Cartier, it's a pleasure to have you join us." He ushered her into the elevator as he spoke, and pressed the floor button. "The timing of your arrival is fortuitous."

"Fineas." She chided him, a head-shake of disapproval. "You know America doesn't do titles."

"Oh, I know." He chuckled, the floors slipping by, the indicator light rising through the numbers. "It is hard to abandon tradition, though. Even harder given the world we live in today."

"Today's world is governed by fools and madmen who don't know their elbows from their backsides." She exited onto the fifth floor first, and he followed her out and along the corridor. "My great-grandfather would roll in his grave if he could see it."

"Thankfully, there are still plenty who are sane and well-informed. Perhaps not enough. We will need them all." They continued strolling along the corridor, passing the occasional aide who was always bustling to another location. Doors and ancillary passages split off, some with numbers, some without, and some with labels that sounded purely nonsensical. To an outsider, it would have seemed very Department-of-Mysteries-esque, but the pair were both quite familiar with the apparently arcane labyrinthine interior of the Order's HQ.

"That is why I am here," Celeste conceded, "and not just because we are approaching the point where this entire sordid affair comes to a head. I may require help. The new hatchling is troubling me. His birth is unexplained and he is growing with such speed that 'hatchling' should no longer apply."

"I have read your notes on it." Fineas nodded. "The way these factors are combining so quickly is problematic, to put it mildly. What is the size of the problem, if you will excuse the phrasing?"

"I did some reading, theorising and speculating, on the way here. A lot of it is anecdotes, but there is enough real evidence provided to estimate that this problem will be as big as ... Xajarkith."

The name hung in the air, as impactful as the strongest curse word, and after a moment of silence, Fineas gave a deep belly laugh of worldly-wise amazement.

Xajarkith the Brilliant, first champion of the Spirit of Fire.

"Out of everything you could have said, you name the most legendary figure outside of the dead god himself. Ah, indeed, the Chinese have cursed us; we live in extremely interesting times." The big man couldn't hold back and chuckled again. "If you are even half correct, there would still be plenty of reason to worry, so, I understand your concern."

There Fineas paused his speech and also came to a stop, Celeste with him. They were next to a plain unremarkable door with a plaque that said 'Suite 14' on it.

"However, about an hour ago, we had another guest show up, unexpected and unannounced. I have not spoken with him, but I do have an inkling of how important his arrival is. I delayed this meeting until you were here, because I knew you would hate to miss such a ... rare opportunity."

With that, he opened the door to Suite 14, and they entered.

It was a waiting room of medium proportions, two score feet a side; couches, lounge chairs, a low table with candies and fresh fruit, barely audible instrumental music playing from hidden speakers. On a couch facing the door, a figure was sitting, and he stood as they entered. No more than 5'8, his eyes were an icy silver, his hair platinum, skin porcelain, frame waifish slim. He wore a white and navy doublet, with navy leggings, all covered in an intricate swirling embroidery that was clearly magical in origin.

It was his smile, however, that really caught their notice.

Like a flitting burst of laughter, a butterfly dancing through garden air, his features were ethereal and beautiful, and the charm of his amusement was both ephemeral and unnaturally breathtaking. He was a forest sprite, tricky and whimsical, though, all the same, both knew that in reality, he could only be a dragon.

"Grand Secretary Ridefort, and the Countess of Rothberg-Cartier." He bowed briefly, an arm to the side. His voice matched his appearance; soft, melodious, a sweet teasing bewitchment. "You may call me ... Sebby, for now." There was a flash of amused mischief at the nickname, mercurial, and then gone. "I bring a gift to this auspicious meeting."

"What is this gift?" Celeste asked him. "Who are you?"

"The gift is ... me." He blinked, innocent but coy, fanciful. "My lady sends a token of faith to aid her sister, during this most unstable and critical time."

Then, Celeste understood.

It was something few humans had experienced, and the last known encounter was hundreds of years ago.

A servant of the sky goddess, the Spirit of Air.

-o-0-O-0-o-

The following day, I met Theo right after school finished as I was leaving, much earlier than the previous day, and together we walked to my place. We avoided mention of Araziah, and took a longer route back. It was a good opportunity for me to ask him some random questions about dragons from someone who would give me straight answers. It was mostly little things I found out, such as when they changed forms their human clothing 'went with' them. As he explained it, the clothing was 'stored' in some kind of magical signature along with the human form, even though the two bodies were basically the same being; when one got hurt, so did the other.

I found out that there were particular advantages of staying as a human. Efficiency was a big one; the human body took less energy, and was much less conspicuous in most instances. Also, that the way they appeared as a person was fixed and not by choice, though they would age corresponding to the maturity of their natural form, and some could apparently disguise small things about their appearance temporarily, such as eye colour or facial features. This was an advanced form of magic according to Theo, and not many were capable of it.

I did, however, learn two quite significant things.

The first was that all dragons had four primary traits that they judged each other by. They were: physical, magical, psychic and unique. Of course, my teenage RPG-obsessed brain immediately began breaking his explanation down into a mental stat sheet of numbers and descriptions. Physical ability was proficiency at flying, melee combat -- in both human and dragon form -- and the strength of an elemental breath attack. Magical was the ability to manipulate the elements through intelligence and skill, and this covered a wide variety of possible applications, most of which depended on the realm involved and natural talent of the dragon. Psychic was the ability to use the mind to influence others; dominate, persuade, charm, compel. The fourth was the unique skill, and it was always a random thing, like rolling a hundred-sided die. The skill could be anything from something small and specific, to an extremely dangerous power. The latter were rare, according to Theo, and for most it would turn out to be a modestly helpful utility skill that they would have to discover on their own during youth.

The second thing was the concept of the true name.

Most dragons kept their real name secret, and used a similar sounding human alias that would let them go about their business undisturbed. The reason for this was simple: the true name was a dragon's real identity, like an extension of their soul. Someone else knowing your true name made you vulnerable to their influence and magic. Sharing it usually meant one of two things; either you trusted whomever you were sharing with to not use that knowledge against you, or you were so confident in your own strength that you didn't think it mattered.

I didn't ask him, though it was clear 'Theo' and 'Darren' were their public aliases. I was sure he would tell me something that private and important when he was ready, so instead I asked him about what the Conclave wanted that my grandfather had. We were entering the house, this time preempting Araziah's possible interference. I did not want that to happen again.

"They weren't specific about it," he told me, "just that he was doing research for the Order, and they think he discovered something about the Fear."

"The Fear?" We wandered into the kitchen, and I dumped my bag on the table. Opening the fridge, I grabbed the pitcher of OJ and poured a glass. "You want one?"

"No thanks."

I downed it in one, the warm weather enough to make me thirsty and sweaty. "What would he know about the Fear? I mean, he worked for the Order, I know that, but he was into geology and writing papers with titles like 'Sedimentary Stratification and Alluvial Aggregates: The Hidden Story Of The Earth' for science textbooks. I didn't think anything he did was ... important?"

"I don't know. My oldest brother, he told me if there was evidence, it would have to be in your grandfather's possessions somewhere. Something he used to own, or some information he wrote down that might tell the Conclave its location."

"Huh." I shrugged. "He left behind a collection of rocks and some journals, but I don't think there was anything like what they'd want. I think they were mostly just journals of his travels since he went all over the world, but ... enough of that. How about I give Agent Cr-"

I was cut off by Theo's phone making a BING! tone from his pocket. He fished it out and glanced casually at it, a text message received.

Then he froze, like his face had turned to stone.

"Uh, Theo? Everything okay?"

His thumb slid rapidly over the on-screen keyboard, composing a reply, then he sent it and turned the display off, dropping the phone back into his jacket pocket.

"Yeah." He was frowning, and he abruptly seemed tired, drained somehow. Stressed. "Well, no, not really, but it can be. It will be. I'm gonna make it so."

"I, uh, w-what do you mean?" I stammered.

"Torsten." His voice dropped, the muscles in his face and jaw tightening. "I'm really sorry, but I have to do this. I want you to live."

"You- ... you're n-not- ... no. No. Don't."

"It's the only way. I have to protect you. I'm sorry." His voice shook, just a little, but he kept it firm. "I'm really sorry."

"Theo. Please." I begged him, my own beginning to break too. "Please. Don't do this to me. Stop."

It was too late.

I could feel the pressure, the uncomfortable foggy traction of his psychic compulsion, as it was directed at my mind.

"Torsten, find your grandfather's possessions and bring them to me."

Hi Sebby! Did I just introduce yet another potential love interest? Oops. My bad. *cough*notsorry*cough*
Are you hating Araziah yet? Are you disappointed in Theo? Buckle your seat belts, dear readers. The next chapter is about to get ... dramatic.
In other news, Darren is fond of the Russian water -- Konstantin would approve! -- and Celeste's family is apparently blue-blooded. Double-barreled surname -- who knew? ;)
As always, likes, comments, and any discussion is welcome!
Copyright © 2017 Stellar; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 9
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 4
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow not really hating Araziah yet, but he is definitely behaving like a dominating dictator. If that's how he really is (that's very dangerous fort Torsten), or if he is still learning to balance is interactions with others, we will have to see. It is true that he didn't psychic force Torsten. Theo shouldn't have done that, he might think it is the way to protect Torsten, but he should know that he is throwing away Torsten confidence and the possibility of the Order to help him. If the Conclave wins Torsten will not be safe, no human will, Theo should realise that.

Sebby... Happy you introduce him, I was curious to meet dragons other than water or fire. Now if he will be a love interest I don't know, just because he is small, witty and amazingly beautiful doesn't mean he is gay. Although a powerful dragon might be what is needed to control the crazy impulses of the red-headed dragon.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

The story is so rich with lore, well fleshed out characters and a great storyline. I can't wait to read the next chapter!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

Well, Theo is dead meat...

 

I get why Theo did what he did, but it's still disappointing.  I wish he'd tried to find another way instead of breaking Torsten's trust.  And now he better hope he can get somewhere safe before Araziah gets to him, because I'm fairly certain that the offer has expired.

 

I'd be very surprised if Araziah didn't see this whole thing.  His section implies that the only reason he's out of the house so much is to spy on Theo, so I'm sure he's nearby, waiting to pounce if Theo ever betrayed Torsten like he did just now.  What he does next remains to be seen, but I'm sure it will involve hurting Theo.

 

I'm not sure why I should hate Araziah. I mean, sure, he's an asshole and he treats Torsten like he owns him, but that's nothing new for him.  Maybe it's not for the right reasons, but he does seem to have a level of fondness for Torsten, and he's being very protective of him.  And he didn't compel Torsten to bend to his will, so that's another thing in his favour for now.  Surprisingly, I think I like Araziah more after this chapter.  He feels more authentic to me now.  Araziah doesn't try to put on a mask and pretend to be something he's not, he's a condescending asshole and he embraces it.  I like that about him.

 

The contrast between Theo and Araziah in this chapter was very interesting.  On one hand you have Araziah being very condescending to Torsten yet giving him another chance to change his mind, and on the other hand you have Theo being loving and affectionate yet taking what he wants by force.  It's like each of them did what you'd expect from the other.

 

I expect Araziah to have a bit of an 'I told you so' moment when this is over, but does Torsten still have that chance to change his mind?  And if so, will he?  It would be funny if Araziah just showed up one day with another boy and said "Torsten, this is your new boyfriend." :D

 

Another great chapter, well worth the wait!

 

PS: Would I be mistaken in assuming that Araziah is his true name?  Because he certainly fits the second reason for sharing it, maybe even both in Torsten's case.

 

It's worth remembering that Theo's hand is very much being forced by Darren at this point in time. You would be right to feel disappointed given that this constitutes a breaking of trust, but at the same time you still do not have a full understanding of the alternatives that Theo is working against. More on this is to come in the next chapter.

 

With regard to Araziah seeing what is going on: they are inside, so at this moment, Torsten and Theo would not be visible. However, could he have been watching as they entered the house, from his distant vantage point? Absolutely. Was he? You'll have to wait and see. ;)

 

You're not wrong. Araziah is very honest about who he is, even if he might be playing other mind games at the same time. He is a fire dragon who is fire-dragon-ing his way through life, you might say. You could also say this is due to his relative youth, the (exaggerated?) sense of his own strength and the fact that he has received no tutelage from his own type on how to approach everything with the more insidious type of cunning that is typical to them.

 

Chapter 10 will be quite a crucial one, because it will address some of your above thoughts, and set the stage for the latter part of the story.

 

Oh, and yes, Araziah is his true name. He is basically fearless and doesn't see any point in sullying himself with an invented human title.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Avaloch said:

The story is so rich with lore, well fleshed out characters and a great storyline. I can't wait to read the next chapter!

 

Thank you so much! I love that you're enjoying it. I'll try to have the next part out as soon as I can.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Stellar said:

It's worth remembering that Theo's hand is very much being forced by Darren at this point in time. You would be right to feel disappointed given that this constitutes a breaking of trust, but at the same time you still do not have a full understanding of the alternatives that Theo is working against. More on this is to come in the next chapter.

Having a very good reason for doing what he did doesn't make it less disappointing.  But the urgency in Theo's actions make me think it's too late to avoid the alternative anyway, so he may have broken Torsten's trust for nothing.

4 minutes ago, Stellar said:

With regard to Araziah seeing what is going on: they are inside, so at this moment, Torsten and Theo would not be visible. However, could he have been watching as they entered the house, from his distant vantage point? Absolutely. Was he? You'll have to wait and see. ;)

Considering he can do something very similar to teleportation, he could be watching distractedly.  But when I think about it, he did a lot of watching Theo, so he could very well be running interference on Darren's plans instead.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

Having a very good reason for doing what he did doesn't make it less disappointing.  But the urgency in Theo's actions make me think it's too late to avoid the alternative anyway, so he may have broken Torsten's trust for nothing.

 

Considering he can do something very similar to teleportation, he could be watching distractedly.  But when I think about it, he did a lot of watching Theo, so he could very well be running interference on Darren's plans instead.

 

I'm going to throw that comment back at you and suggest: maybe the reason for Theo's urgency is precisely *because* he thinks he can stop the alternative if he acts immediately? ^_^ Possibilities!

 

Araziah knows absolutely nothing about Darren, and the only way for him to have any awareness would be if he witnessed Darren and Theo together and was able to surmise that they are in collusion under the Conclave's direction. Compound this with Darren essentially telling Theo he would be busy for the next 5-7 days (implying that he will be somewhere else), then it should be clear this is very unlikely.

 

A note on Araziah's unique ability: it IS teleportation. All I have established so far with regards to the 'rules' of how it functions, is that he can go any place that he has a visual memory of. This includes locations that do not have a direct line of sight, as shown when he went from the street to within the forest outside of the town without being able to see the spot he was arriving at. It is also why he made sure to see as much of Mirrorvale as he could from elevation; when he can quite literally appear at any location he has seen, observation becomes very useful. What has not been mentioned is if there is a distance restriction, how often he can perform this feat, etc.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
57 minutes ago, Stellar said:

A note on Araziah's unique ability: it IS teleportation. All I have established so far with regards to the 'rules' of how it functions, is that he can go any place that he has a visual memory of. This includes locations that do not have a direct line of sight, as shown when he went from the street to within the forest outside of the town without being able to see the spot he was arriving at. It is also why he made sure to see as much of Mirrorvale as he could from elevation; when he can quite literally appear at any location he has seen, observation becomes very useful. What has not been mentioned is if there is a distance restriction, how often he can perform this feat, etc.

Yeah, I got Araziah could teleport to any place he had seen before. Now I am curious what's Theo special skill. I understand not all skills will be as powerful.

Edited by Sweetlion
  • Like 4
Link to comment

I do not hate Araziah, but I do not like him at all. I live in a country currently led by a demanding, ungrateful, selfish, tactless, self-appointed

genius megalomaniac who's greatest gift to date is lying badly. I am therefore sick and tired of the whole self-guided asshole type. Perhaps

that renders me as biased, but there you have it. The biggest sin is a lack of charm that just makes these types intolerable. What ever happened to the charming fiend, -to much effort? I hate it when they don't even to glue a nice veneer over their ugly, base selves.

 

So yes, it seems that you have introduced a potential new suitor, Sebby, but we don't know anything about his character. He does seem to be polite though, and that is a good sign. Speaking of signs, poor Theo has got one that says "VICTIM" all over it. Or am I wrong?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Okay so, I wonder this more with each passing chapter, but what exactly does Torsten bring to the table in this story?  I mean, he briefly served as a protector and caretaker for Araziah, early on.  But that role is over.  The conclave is after his grandfather’s research.  They don’t appear to actually be interested in Torsten himself.  So outside of Araziah’s creepy possessive interest, and the Conclave getting what they want, what is Torsten’s role?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Stephen said:

I do not hate Araziah, but I do not like him at all. I live in a country currently led by a demanding, ungrateful, selfish, tactless, self-appointed

genius megalomaniac who's greatest gift to date is lying badly. I am therefore sick and tired of the whole self-guided asshole type. Perhaps

that renders me as biased, but there you have it. The biggest sin is a lack of charm that just makes these types intolerable. What ever happened to the charming fiend, -to much effort? I hate it when they don't even to glue a nice veneer over their ugly, base selves.

 

So yes, it seems that you have introduced a potential new suitor, Sebby, but we don't know anything about his character. He does seem to be polite though, and that is a good sign. Speaking of signs, poor Theo has got one that says "VICTIM" all over it. Or am I wrong?

 

Without getting *too* political, because it's not my intention to alienate any readers: Araziah is nothing like the dumpster-fire of a human being that is your president and I cannot say I like the implied comparison. All my characters, even the villainous and unpleasant ones, have the capacity to learn and change from their actions, as well as, generally speaking, a bit more subtlety and nuance to their personalities. Mr 45, however, has shown neither the ability to grow as an individual nor the desire to do much more than feed his overstuffed ego. As far as refinement goes, he has all the grace and emotional complexity of a meteor striking the Yucatan peninsula.

 

I'll leave it at that.

 

To cap this off, Araziah is capable of a lot more than just being an asshole, and while I don't blame you for not enjoying his personality so far, you've had a grand total of two chapters to know what he's like. Give it some time, and you might see a little more dimension to him.

 

Lastly, Sebby is going to be fun, and Theo -- well, that situation is about to reach breaking point, one way or another.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, spikey582 said:

Okay so, I wonder this more with each passing chapter, but what exactly does Torsten bring to the table in this story?  I mean, he briefly served as a protector and caretaker for Araziah, early on.  But that role is over.  The conclave is after his grandfather’s research.  They don’t appear to actually be interested in Torsten himself.  So outside of Araziah’s creepy possessive interest, and the Conclave getting what they want, what is Torsten’s role?

 

This is an interesting comment. Before I respond in depth with regard to Spirit of Fire, I should say this: there is an abundance of fiction out there where the protagonist does not immediately appear to have any particular special skills nor unique purpose, but they are still the central focus of the book. A great example of this is Rincewind from the Discworld novels by the late Terry Pratchett -- a truly talented master of comedic fantasy. Rincewind is a totally hapless cowardly 'wizard' who is magically incapable, physically inept, and trouble-averse to the point where his primary goal is trying to escape the situations he finds himself in, and lead a boring life elsewhere. Yet, he is the main character of multiple Discworld novels, and his presence is important to the plot of these books, bumbling though he may be.

 

Now, with Spirit of Fire, I have already given you a hint that Torsten has importance, just not what nor why. The second scene of the first chapter is what contains this suggestion. The fact that he doesn't seem to 'bring to the table' anything obvious doesn't mean there is no reason, nor should it imply that he will sit around being of questionable use for the rest of the plot. To sum this up: you'll just have to keep reading future chapters if you want to know more. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A lot going on.  With the cliffhanger, what will happen, Will Theo stop on his own, will he succeed, will Araziah come in to stop it, will Lucy???  Can't wait until next chapter to find out...  Is Sebby a "love" interest for Lucy with that not so subtle hint at the end??  And did Araziah al but claim that he was going to be the resurrected Spirit of Fire?? 

 

Thanks and Like I said, Looking forward to more!!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Shadow086 hit all of my critiques dead on with his first rely, so I'm not going to quote the whole thing. I didn't realize that Darren was Theo's older brother and that sibling relationships were so strong in such young dragons. As no mention yet to their parents, it is possible that Darren is also a parent figure in young Theo's life to have such a powerful influence over him. He could have tried asking Torsten for what he wanted and let friendship, and trust in their relationship guide him, but he didn't. BAD DECISION! Araziah as a nestling and new to social improprieties didn't force his will on Torsten, (though I associate dominant personalities with bullies, lacking empathy), so he gets top marks in this chapter.

 

Theo had better have a very powerful special to save him as I also agree with Shadow086 the Araziah has been watching from his perch waiting to pounce on his "rival?", for lack of a better term. Araziah intends to rule the world, might as well start with Theo, and I am not certain where Torsten even fits in the story at this point, other than something Araziah feels emotionally attached to like a stuffed animal. 

I was hoping there was more to Torsten, even his mother is dressing and paying more attention to Araziah than her own son. I agree with spikey582:

On 2018-02-06 at 1:31 PM, spikey582 said:

Okay so, I wonder this more with each passing chapter, but what exactly does Torsten bring to the table in this story?  I mean, he briefly served as a protector and caretaker for Araziah, early on.  But that role is over.  The conclave is after his grandfather’s research.  They don’t appear to actually be interested in Torsten himself.  So outside of Araziah’s creepy possessive interest, and the Conclave getting what they want, what is Torsten’s role?

 

I am looking forward to next chapter, I am hoping Torsten is a "sleeping giant" character type, and that Theo's assault causes Torsten balls to finally drop.

 

Another good chapter has us all chatting about it.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 07/02/2018 at 7:29 PM, glennish said:

A lot going on.  With the cliffhanger, what will happen, Will Theo stop on his own, will he succeed, will Araziah come in to stop it, will Lucy???  Can't wait until next chapter to find out...  Is Sebby a "love" interest for Lucy with that not so subtle hint at the end??  And did Araziah al but claim that he was going to be the resurrected Spirit of Fire?? 

 

Thanks and Like I said, Looking forward to more!!!

 

Lots of questions, most of them good ones. Stay tuned for the new part to find out your answers. :)

 

The only thing I will say here is that Araziah is claiming to be the 'heir' to the fire god; Celeste already debunked *that* particular notion in Chapter 7. He regards himself as some sort of replacement, at least in time.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, BattleLord said:

Shadow086 hit all of my critiques dead on with his first rely, so I'm not going to quote the whole thing. I didn't realize that Darren was Theo's older brother and that sibling relationships were so strong in such young dragons. As no mention yet to their parents, it is possible that Darren is also a parent figure in young Theo's life to have such a powerful influence over him. He could have tried asking Torsten for what he wanted and let friendship, and trust in their relationship guide him, but he didn't. BAD DECISION! Araziah as a nestling and new to social improprieties didn't force his will on Torsten, (though I associate dominant personalities with bullies, lacking empathy), so he gets top marks in this chapter.

 

Theo had better have a very powerful special to save him as I also agree with Shadow086 the Araziah has been watching from his perch waiting to pounce on his "rival?", for lack of a better term. Araziah intends to rule the world, might as well start with Theo, and I am not certain where Torsten even fits in the story at this point, other than something Araziah feels emotionally attached to like a stuffed animal. 

I was hoping there was more to Torsten, even his mother is dressing and paying more attention to Araziah than her own son. I agree with spikey582:

 

I am looking forward to next chapter, I am hoping Torsten is a "sleeping giant" character type, and that Theo's assault causes Torsten balls to finally drop.

 

Another good chapter has us all chatting about it.

 

It would be fair to say that Darren and Theo have a relatively close relationship for siblings (and this is not always the case for such territorial and ambitious creatures). Darren is not the only one though; he also mentions Nero and 'our eldest' in the same breath, indicating there are four brothers in their family. Their eldest was not named, of course, but you may certainly guess at that identity. ;)

 

It's true Theo could have asked Torsten for what he wanted, but if he was trying to escape the Conclave, why would he? Despite his willingness to trust, why would Torsten take that risk by handing it over knowing what it might lead to if Theo's intentions were not true? There would be a lot here resting on someone's word and nothing else.

 

Also, Araziah's lack of attempted compulsion here doesn't necessarily have anything to do with his age. If you recall, he was not shy about trying to force Celeste to tell him what he wanted the previous chapter -- and by her reckoning, he was headed towards being a powerful psychic who would not have trouble compelling nor dominating anyone. The answer to this may have more to do with the particular people involved than his maturity level, though I would agree it's a point in Araziah's favour that he isn't (for now, at least) just taking what he pleases.

 

With regard to 'where Torsten fits', I do find it curious that this is a recurring thing with some readers. Is it not enough that Torsten is surrounded by immensely powerful creatures with innate magical talents, but now he has to be some kind of superhero figure too? To quote Lucy from Chapter 5: "Eragon you are not. I don't think this is going to be all psychic bonds, dragon riders and magic swords." My response to spikey's comment encapsulates my thoughts on this issue, so I will not repeat them, but I will finish this one with: you'll just have to see how he develops going forward. Maybe you'll get a sleeping giant, maybe it'll be something else.

Edited by Stellar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
 

It would be fair to say that Darren and Theo have a relatively close relationship for siblings (and this is not always the case for such territorial and ambitious creatures). Darren is not the only one though; he also mentions Nero and 'our eldest' in the same breath, indicating there are four brothers in their family. Their eldest was not named, of course, but you may certainly guess at that identity. ;)

 

It's true Theo could have asked Torsten for what he wanted, but if he was trying to escape the Conclave, why would he? Despite his willingness to trust, why would Torsten take that risk by handing it over knowing what it might lead to if Theo's intentions were not true? There would be a lot here resting on someone's word and nothing else.

 

Also, Araziah's lack of attempted compulsion here doesn't necessarily have anything to do with his age. If you recall, he was not shy about trying to force Celeste to tell him what he wanted the previous chapter -- and by her reckoning, he was headed towards being a powerful psychic who would not have trouble compelling nor dominating anyone. The answer to this may have more to do with the particular people involved than his maturity level, though I would agree it's a point in Araziah's favour that he isn't (for now, at least) just taking what he pleases.

 

I am curious, if dragons are born from eggs, how is the concept of siblings developed? Theo has four brothers, all of different ages as Theo is the youngest and least developed. Were they all laid in one clutch and hatched at different times? Do they imprint and if so does this imprinting cause younger siblings to feel a powerful bond of trust and need to protect? Is Theo acting to protect his sibling? Has Araziaha imprinted on Torsten and is thus possessive and protective? Is that why Araziah asks that Torsten accept him rather than take what he clearly has the power to take? Theo sees Torsten as a love interest, but we know most dragons consider intimate relationships with humans as beastiality. Can dragons truly experience love or is it genetic programming to ensure survival?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
23 hours ago, BattleLord said:
I am curious, if dragons are born from eggs, how is the concept of siblings developed? Theo has four brothers, all of different ages as Theo is the youngest and least developed. Were they all laid in one clutch and hatched at different times? Do they imprint and if so does this imprinting cause younger siblings to feel a powerful bond of trust and need to protect? Is Theo acting to protect his sibling? Has Araziaha imprinted on Torsten and is thus possessive and protective? Is that why Araziah asks that Torsten accept him rather than take what he clearly has the power to take? Theo sees Torsten as a love interest, but we know most dragons consider intimate relationships with humans as beastiality. Can dragons truly experience love or is it genetic programming to ensure survival?

 

Siblinghood is derived from having the same parents; typically this is a bonded pair, though sometimes it's the result of an impulsive tryst. The children need not hatch at the same time to have an emotional bond to one another. Nero and Darren are the closest in age and have a rather blasé relationship, whilst Theo is much younger but is clearly dear to his older brother. Their relationships are not unlike ours with regard to family bonds; how caring or not depends on the personalities involved. Some people love their siblings, some can't stand them.

 

While something resembling imprinting can happen, as they age and become more territorial and solitary -- they are not naturally social pack creatures but are solo predators like a tiger -- the importance of youthful impressions fades. Since they are also intelligent magical beings and not simply animals, wilfully ignoring those impressions is quite possible, as is banding together with others of their own kind for common purpose. This is not to suggest that their behaviour can't be affected by imprinting at some subconscious level, just that it need not be a dominant factor.

 

It is mostly the fire dragons who consider an actual serious relationship with a human to be beneath them. Using people for sex or as slaves or just as a food source is fine; treating them as a beloved equal fits anywhere from bizarre through to abominable and disgusting. The other elemental types are not as zealous, of course, although generally speaking they are aloof and apathetic to the struggles of a human life and just don't get intimately involved with our affairs. After all, they can live for a long time -- centuries or even more -- and human lives seem short and unimportant by comparison. However, friendships and relationships can and do happen! They are just the exception, not the rule.

 

So, to round this off, they can definitely feel the same sorts of emotions as people, but it is all relative to the unique position they hold in the world and how they perceive everything else from that strange lofty viewpoint. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Bad Theo, Bad Theo...  I do think Theo cares for Torsten but you can't do something like that even to protect someone. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Stellar, you have warned me. Now we have poor Torsten being left without a real friend with the only exception of Lucy. I feel sorry for him.

Strangely enough, both Theo and Araziah are fire dragons. But still they are far from being allied. What I understand though is that Araziah does not see himself being bound to the conclave or the still dead god of fire. To me it looks like he wants to take over the conclave and step in as the true replacement of the god of fire. Am I totally off track?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, BarkingFrog said:

Stellar, you have warned me. Now we have poor Torsten being left without a real friend with the only exception of Lucy. I feel sorry for him.

Strangely enough, both Theo and Araziah are fire dragons. But still they are far from being allied. What I understand though is that Araziah does not see himself being bound to the conclave or the still dead god of fire. To me it looks like he wants to take over the conclave and step in as the true replacement of the god of fire. Am I totally off track?

Lucy isn't a favourite of many readers, but she is certainly a faithful friend if nothing else.

You are correct; Theo and Araziah are at the opposite ends of what is possible for their own kind. Araziah is as independent-minded as fire can be, and Theo is an unwilling participant in the Conclave's plans. The question is: how will this resolve and what will these two do?

Link to comment

I kinda wish that some of you readers would go back and reread Chapter 1. It doesn't much matter what you think of Torsten. He has a role to play in the coming End Of The World. We are told he will know what that is to be when the time comes.

Obviously, that time is not now. I can imagine that Stellar is either laughing maniacally or bashing his head on the wall... Hmm, maybe both?

I do agree with one thing. Whatever trust there was with Theo, is now broken.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..