Jump to content
    Talo Segura
  • Author
  • 2,791 Words
  • 1,085 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Camp Echo - 15. Chapter Fifteen - Parents and Family.

“Hi, Max. It’s Nate.”

The voice at the other end of the line seemed agitated.

“You okay? Is something wrong?” Max felt nervous.

“Well, yes and no. It’s complicated. I need to speak to you, but not now. Not on the phone.”

“So let’s meet up.”

“Yeah, in half an hour. Can you make it?”

Max was not going to say no. This was important.

“Sure, where?”

“Outside the tube at Highgate station, I’ll be waiting.”

“Okay, I’ll be there.”

Max put the phone down and hurriedly collected his things. Aeriol was just getting up, he told him he was going out to meet Nate and would be back later, but wasn’t sure when. Aeriol nodded and waved whilst occupying himself with the kettle and a mug of coffee.

For once he was lucky, reaching the bus stop just before the bus. The doors folded open and he boarded, going upstairs and taking one of the unoccupied front seats. Fifteen minutes and he was there, looking out of the window, he didn’t see Nathan. Max clambered down the stairs and off the bus, turning to walk up to the lights and around the corner to the station entrance. Bright streaks of sunshine pierced the shade and gloom of the morning, but did nothing to add any warmth to the cold.

Apart from people making their way into the tube entrance, there was no one else around, no Nathan. Max stood there looking back up the road, watching the traffic lights change and the traffic moving. There was nothing he could do except wait. He walked back up the street, turned and looked towards the woods. He had no idea which direction Nate would come from. Half an hour suddenly seemed to stretch for an eternity. He was sure he’d been waiting much longer than fifteen minutes and fifteen minutes on the bus, where was he?

He thought he heard someone calling his name, but the traffic noise masked nearly everything, this was a busy main road. Max saw him when the lights changed and before the flow of traffic turned the corner. Nate was on the opposite side, waving. They crossed and met in the middle of the junction, before turning back to regain the far side pavement.

“Sorry,” Nate blurted out as he tried to recover his breath.

Max looked at him and smiled.

“I ran nearly all the way,” Nate gulped in a breath of air.

“I’d have waited,” Max told him.

They stood a moment surrounded by the traffic and assaulted by the noise.

“Let’s walk,” Nate said. “It’s too noisy here, we need to find somewhere we can hear each other.”

Together they walked back up the hill in the direction Nate had come from.

“You live up here?” Max asked.

“Yeah,” was all Nate replied, without being more forth coming.

Highgate was a chic part of North London, up and coming, is what they called it. Which meant property prices were high and it was a sought after area, but not on the same level as Hampstead itself. If you couldn’t afford Hampstead, which you would have to be very wealthy to live there, then Highgate was the next best choice. It made Max wonder just a little bit more about Nathan.

“Where are we going?” Max glanced at Nate as they walked side by side along the narrow pavement.

“There’s a little coffee shop, tea room, not too far.”

That made Max smile. He pictured little old ladies in their Sunday finest sipping tea and delicately eating fruit cake.

“Yeah, alright,” Nate returned his smile. “I know what you’re thinking, but it’s open and we can talk there.”

Max simply continued walking next to Nate until they arrived at the place and Nate pushed open the door with a jingle from the little bell. Inside was a tiny space with three round tables, the wooden counter and multiple shelves behind stacked with what looked like different teas. Max spotted, Earl Grey, Darjeeling, and English Breakfast. There was another section further along with coffee beans and a large grinder. The aroma was a fantastic mixture of smells, the strongest being freshly ground coffee.

Nate ordered two coffees, without asking, and they sat down at one of the tables. It was then, Max noticed the staircase with its little arrow and panel: ‘First Floor Salon.’ He listened to the sounds of the freshly brewed coffee percolating through the machine, which finished by hissing and spluttering. The lady behind the wooden counter brought over their coffees and set them down on the counter.

Max looked at his coffee, then lifted his eyes and regarded Nathan. “Well, what exactly do you need to talk about?” He gave his pleasant, hopefully reassuring smile.

“I told my parents and my brother.”

For a couple of minutes there was silence, only the traffic noise from outside filled the void.

“About us?” Max asked, after the news had permeated through his conscience.

“No, about the dog I want to adopt.”

Was this Nate’s attempt at lightening the atmosphere, or was he annoyed? Max wasn’t sure, he’d never been in this type of situation.

“What did they say?” He almost held his breath, realising how important the next answer would be. What the consequences might be, what they would do.

Nate grinned, which came as a relief for Max.

“You look worried?”

“Of course, I’m worried. I rushed to get here. Waited for ages for you to arrive. Now I need to know what happened.”

Nate looked at Max and his grin became a smile.

“I rushed here too, remember. Anyhow, everything’s okay.”

“Everything? What exactly?”

“I told my parents I’d met someone. A guy. You.”

Max looked intently at the boy in front of him. Scrutinising him.

“They’re cool. They told me that they were only concerned for me, my welfare.”

“But you said you always had to get home and they wouldn’t let you stay anywhere overnight. I thought they were like on your back about...”

“Yeah, well they were, are, kind of,” Nate interrupted. “But only because they were worried.”

“Worried?” Max frowned.

“I guess they didn’t want me, you know, falling into the wrong company.”

“Well,” Max sighed. “I’m pretty sure I fall into their definition of the wrong company.”

“Perhaps you do. But you’ll either have to put on a good act or just talk about the good stuff.”

“The good stuff?”

“Yeah, you know, like you have a job. You're independent, making your own way in life. What you want to do. That kind of stuff.”

“Why do I even need to think about that?”

“Because,” Nate sipped his coffee and peered over the rim of the cup at Max.

“No. Fuck. You aren’t gonna say what I think you’re gonna say.”

“Depends what you think I’m gonna say, doesn’t it?”

“Your parents...”

Nate put his cup down.

“You got it!” He laughed. “They want to meet you.”

Max gulped. “Like meeting the boyfriend?”

“Yeah, I suppose. They wanna check you out. My little brother too!”

“What will I say?”

“I don’t know, but you’ll think of something. Just be yourself.”

Max wriggled in his seat.

“That won’t work at all.” He leaned across the table and whispered, “So I tell them their son is the cutest boy I’ve met and I want to fuck his brains out.”

Nate sat back and smiled. “Yeah, you’re right. That won’t work.” He laughed again.

“So when?”

“Ah, when? Actually, you’re invited for Sunday lunch.” Nate twisted his wrist and looked at his watch. “That’s in about four hours.”

They sat there for a long moment just smiling at each other.

“Well, I guess I can do it. But you have to come home with me. Help me choose what to wear.”

“Is that all?” Nate smirked, finished his coffee and stood up. “Let’s go then.”

*****

“Listen guys, you are all invited to my parents place. We’re going to have a party weekend. Saturday through Sunday. In two weeks.”

Jules looked around the room. It had been a while since everybody was together, but this Sunday was turning out special.

Nads stood up and put her arm around Mayaan who was standing next to Aeriol. “We’ll definitely be there. We can all go together.”

“That’s you, Nads, Alex and me,” Aeriol grinned.

It seemed somehow that Aeriol had got back with Alex and they all looked enthusiastic about visiting Jules.

“Okay well you can all stay over. So I’ll see you then. And you’ll get to meet Thomas.”

“Jules, who’s Thomas?” Max asked.

“That’s what happens when you’re out all morning. He was my best friend from school.” Jules turned to pick up his things. “I’ve got to go. Got a train to catch. Parents and all that.”

“See ya, Jules. Take care.” Aeriol handed him the last item of luggage, which he hooked over his shoulder.

The guy looked like a Yeti, with bags hanging down on both sides, a woollen hat and the two day beard he was either trying to grow or just couldn’t be bothered to shave.

“We’ve gotta go too,” Max looked at Nate. “How do I look?”

“You'll do,” he replied and kissed him on the cheek.

“Okay girls let’s settle down and roll one up.”

Aeriol pulled Alex down with him onto a bean bag and Nads and May took the sofa.

“You two really have to go now?” May looked across at Max.

“Yep, we’ve parents to meet too.”

Max and Nate followed Jules down the stairs and out into the midday sun, which although there, was still not doing much to raise the temperature.

“So I guess I’ll find out where you live?” Max grinned.

“Oh, shit! I forgot to say,” Nate glanced at him.

“Forgot to say what?”

“We’re eating out. My parents booked a table at some posh restaurant in Hampstead.”

“Nah, you’re joking.”

“Yeah, I’m joking.”

Max grabbed him around the neck in a head lock and ruffled his hair.

“Whatever happens, I think I love you.”

Nate stopped dead, turned and faced Max.

“You do?”

Max kissed him, right there in the middle of the street. There wasn't anyone around, but he hadn’t bothered to check.

“I do,” he replied, and it echoed like a marriage vow. The significance of what he’d just said was not lost on Max.

*****

“Yeah, you said posh.” Max stood looking at the entrance.

La Gaffe was a five star hotel and well known restaurant, it was not as intimidating as he had imagined. He was getting the impression that Nathan was from a well off family who lived in Hampstead. Of course, the two went together, but made a stark contrast to a part-time job at the Whole Earth Cafe in Archway Road.

“My dad loves Italian! Come on, let’s go in.”

As soon as they entered the restaurant they were stopped by the Maître d’ “May I help you, gentleman?”

Max got the impression that this guy, in his crisp black suit and tie, was a sort of rich man's bouncer.

“We’re joining Mr Collins,” Nathan replied. “My father.”

A smile changed the visage of the elegant bouncer, who transformed into another creature entirely.

“This way. Please follow me, Sir.”

Sir, what the fuck! Max thought, but he followed Nate and the Maître d' through the restaurant to a table at the rear on one side. He glanced around at the ornate decor and plush furnishings. The rest of the family were already seated at the table. Nathan’s father stood up, followed by his wife and Nate’s younger brother, who was staring at Max.

“Dad,” Nate announced. “This is Max.”

Nathan’s father extended his arm and they shook hands.

“David,” he smiled. “My wife, Ann.”

Max received a delicate handshake from Nathan's mother, who seemed to look at him in a way that made him feel like he was being examined.

“Nice to meet you,” she said. “And this,” she placed her hand on the shoulder of Nate’s brother, “is Martin.”

Martin also extended his arm and shook hands with Max. There was a probing look in the young boy’s regard. Max wondered how old he was, fourteen, fifteen, he wasn’t sure.

Everyone sat down and Nathan’s father opened the conversation. “So what is it that you do, Max? For a living?”

Max had to force himself not to smirk because the first part of that question simply took his mind off in a whole other direction, but he restrained himself. However, glancing across the table at Martin he saw the boy smiling and was sure he got the possible double meaning.

“At the moment I’m working in a warehouse in Kentish Town. It supplies organic produce to shops and restaurants.”

“Are you by chance a vegetarian?” Nathan’s mother piped in.

Max smiled, “Not really by chance, Mrs Collins. No, more through practicality.”

“How would that be?” Mrs Collins replied.

“Well, you see, when I left home and started sharing. I share a flat in Muswell Hill. The others were into whole foods and vegetarian meals, so I sort of joined the gang. Plus, it’s a whole lot cheaper.”

“It’s not a philosophical choice then?” Mr Collins asked.

“No, Sir. Purely financial. But I do think it has its merits.”

All the while this small talk was going on, Martin was scrutinising Max. Then when the opportunity arose, a short pause in the conversation, he jumped in.

“Where did you two meet?” He asked, with a sly grin.

Nathan’s mother looked at her son, but didn’t interrupt. Perhaps she too was curious to know how they met.

Max was winging it now. “I met Nathan,” he glanced at Nate, who was sitting perfectly still, next to him. “At home. I guess that sounds kind of odd, but he’d met up with Aeriol, May, and Nads. Aeriol is the guy I share with and May is sort of his girlfriend, or was. And Nads, Nadia, is a friend of May. Well, anyhow, they got talking to Nate in the cafe in Archway Road and all ended up back at the flat.”

Martin seemed to be looking even more intently at Max. He sort of screwed up his eyes.

“So you’re like boyfriends?”

Max looked straight into the boy's eyes. “Yes, that’s right.”

“And...”

“I think that’s enough,” Mrs Collins interrupted.

At the same moment the waiter arrived and was handing her the menu.

Max didn’t think that Nate’s little brother was against him, just maybe, curious, and protective of his older brother. Which was cute in a way, it showed the two brothers were close and cared about each other. He was sure Nate would be just as interested in finding out about his brother’s girlfriend or boyfriend.

After the initial barrage of questions which included the usual, where did he grow up? What did his parents do? Were there any brothers or sisters? Nathan’s father posed the question about what did he want to do? Meaning, that Max wasn’t going to spend the rest of his life working in a warehouse, organic or otherwise.

Max thought about his answer. During the meal he’d got to like Nathan’s parents, and his brother. They’d drank a glass or two of wine, and he was feeling relaxed.

“I have always wanted to explore another culture,” Max replied. “I would very much like to spend a month in North Africa, Morocco. I’ve read up on it and I’ve been putting some money aside. You see, it’s the nearest place to visit that is a completely different culture on another continent.”

Nathan's parents looked at each other. Nate looked a little surprised. Understandably, it was the first he’d heard about it.

“Wow, that’s a great plan,” Martin replied, enthusiastically.

“Perhaps, it all depends. Now I’ve met Nathan,” Max put an arm around his boyfriend, well I’ll have to see what he thinks.”

“You should both go together,” Martin continued. “I’d love to go.”

Max welcomed the support from Martin, but at the same time he wondered what Nate thought about the idea, and what his parents thought.

As dessert was served, Nathan’s father smiled, and told Max that the spirit of adventure was probably intrinsic to all young men. He’d read the boy’s own yarns as a youngster, something that embodied the aspirations of youth, to face challenges.

So it seemed to Max that the meal had gone very well, incredibly well. Not only were they a nice family, but Nate’s parents, or at least his father, weren’t opposed to what he might like to do. Perhaps the only question that remained, was what Nate thought about it?

 

◇ ◇ ◇

Copyright © 2018 Talo Segura; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Marty

Posted (edited)

Great chapter, Tal! :thumbup:

I have to say that I was worried as to why Nate had rung saying that he needed to speak with Max. The last thing I was expecting was that he would tell him that he had come out to his family. And the family do seem to be very accepting of the relationship; which is a good thing. I like the fact that Nate and his younger brother seem to get on so well.

Regarding the younger brother, I do have one question, though. Nate's father introduced him as Martin, but a couple of times you seem to have called him Jonathan. Was that a mistake on your part, or am I just tired and maybe missed the fact that there was another person at the dinner table?

A trip to Morocco, eh? I'm wondering whether Max been reading the Beat poets, and is wanting to follow in the footsteps of Burroughs, Kerouac, Ginsberg, and the like; or whether he genuinely does just want to experience another culture. Nice to see that he realises that it now depends on what Nate wants to do, as well.

Kissing his boyfriend in the street... and using the L word... Seems like Max has it bad. :)

Now, I wonder how this house party at Jules' place will go...?

 

 

Edited by Marty
  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Marty said:

a couple of times you seem to have called him Jonathan

I'm my own editor so I missed that, but thanks, I've edited, his brother is Martin (I did use Jonathan to begin with so missed those, sorry about that. There was only the family and Max in the restaurant, no mysterious other person, lol!).

4 hours ago, Marty said:

trip to Morocco, eh? I'm wondering whether Max been reading the Beat poets, and is wanting to follow in the footsteps of Burroughs, Kerouac, Ginsberg,

Or he just likes the boys and getting stoned?

4 hours ago, Marty said:

I wonder how this house party at Jules' place will go...?

Well, of course, I know exactly what happens - more or less - and you will find out very soon... It's in the next chapter.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I’m coming in late, having read the first fifteen chapters in one go. Clearly I was hooked. The set up for Camp Echo is that it is a state of mind rather than a place. In the story we certainly have a main place, the apartment shared by Aeriol and Max, but the story is beyond that, and what the reader needs to find out about. Set in the ‘70s, it’s well described as a cauldron in which sex, drugs and spirituality float around, yet beneath that rough veneer are the characters, most of who are seekers, and that’s the hook in the story. Like most of us, they all have strengths and weaknesses. 

I appreciate Talo’s comment that “Max is best explained as a boy who falls easily in love with other boys,” and yes, “no one tells you how to choose” who is the one. And that’s part of the charm and the reality in this story. The reader wants to help Max avoid the pitfalls and support him in making the right decisions.  The latest is real tension. The relationship with Nate seems too good to be true! Is he in rebound and Max will get burned? Or, is Max taking too much for granted and missing out what may be the most important event in his life so far? Exclusivity has it’s benefits, but it comes at a price!

Edited by Bensiamin
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Bensiamin said:

Exclusivity has it’s benefits, but it comes at a price!

That sentence says something very important, almost a life statement, perhaps we might not always be aware, but a one to one relationship comes with its benefits and as you say carries a price. You want your relationship to work, then you both need to be prepared to change and to give up things. In other words, you move closer together by accepting what your partner would like, rather than the single person attitude of "I want that!" It's that simple, or not.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

“Whatever happens, I think I love you.”  …The significance of what he’d just said was not lost on Max.

I had a problem with this given Max’s recent sexual escapades until it occurred to me that Nathan entered the picture when he went home with Aeriol  and slept with him before he turned his attention to Max. I think that Max is sincere, though. I guess he would have to be to face the family scrutiny. And that he is concerned about what Nathan thinks about his wanting to go to Morocco.

I guess I’ll find that out in the next chapter or so, though. Hopefully Max will realize what he has in Nathan.

This is another nice chapter, Talo. And you picked up another commenter!

Edited by Arran
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Considering Nate and Max have barely met, things are advancing at a rather rapid rate: having Nate come out the closet and Max meet his parents, after nothing more than two sleepovers (one of which was a genuine night's sleep). It wasn't even love at first sight. If anything it was Max having pity on Nate having just been used by Aeriol. Anyway, nobody needs to know that, I suppose. Hopefully, they will still like eachother after they have been together for a few weeks.

Jules's parents are taking a major risk leaving their son in charge of the house after hearing that he dropped out of college. That's the parent in me talking.😉 The party animal in me says rave on.

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 2
Link to comment

@Bard Simpson good points. I guess I squeezed the whole Nate, Max, meeting the parents, coming out, into a much too tight a timeframe. The choice was to invent stuff or go with what I had, which concerning this was very sketchy. In hindsight, I might have given it more time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..