Jump to content

As Betwixt the Devil and the Deep Sea

   (5 reviews)
Genres: Horror
Sub-genres: Horror - Modern

After a few days’ stay on a remote and bleak island in the sea, a writer finds that the boat he arrived in has been torn from its mooring by a storm. None of the locals will take him to the mainland, afraid to brave the waters after the storm, and as he struggles to make his way home, it seems more and more as if something doesn’t want him to leave.

This story contains elements of both physical, supernatural, and psychological horror.
Copyright © 2020 Thorn Wilde; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (6 members)

  • Action Packed 4
  • Addictive/Pacing 5
  • Characters 5
  • Chills 0
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 0
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 1
  • Tearjerker 1
  • Unique 5
  • World Building 4

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. The Story
    • 5,070 Words
    • 2,034 Views
    • 33 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Bill W

  

If you like reading Stephen King, then I'm sure you'll enjoy reading this story.  It is well written, offers vivid descriptions, and a plot that will draw you in.  Once I started reading it, I couldn't stop.  I felt compelled to find out what was behind the scenes and responsible for what was going on, and I'm sure you will find yourself in the same predicament - drawn in and searching for an answer.    

Link to review
BKWildenberg

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Gay Lovecraftian horror! 

The classic themes and inspirations for this story are instantly recognizable, and Thorn’s done a great job of steeping this story in a specific time and place. Bleak imagery and a haunting build-up. 

  • Love 1
Link to review
MichaelS36

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Wow. What a well written and creepy tale. I couldn't help but read it. It was that good. Drew me in and held me until the end. 

A great scary short!!

Response from the author:

Thank you, Mike. I appreciate your kind words and I'm very glad you enjoyed my little trip into eldritch horror land. :) 

  • Love 4
Link to review
Mikiesboy

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

If you like a little horror ... not too scary or graphic at all. Just spine tingly and a little creepy, you cannot go wrong with this gem.

Read it.

No, really. Read it .. or He'll know!!  Bwa hahahahaha

Response from the author:

Hehe, thank you, tim! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reviewing! :) 

  • Love 4
Link to review
Wayne Gray

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

If you like horror then don't skip this one. It sent a chill down my spine, and the imagery was just right. A nice addition to the genre, inspired by Lovecraft, but voiced in Thorn's own style. Give it a read.

Response from the author:

Thanks for the review and your kind words, Wayne. I appreciate it. :) 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..