Jump to content
    Tiff
  • Author
  • 5,316 Words
  • 3,565 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Price of Revelation - 7. Chapter 7

The Price of Revelation
by Tiffani Chin

Chapter 7

---------------------------------------------

“Sean, can I come in?” Skyler asked rapping gently on the door.

“Sure,” Sean mumbled, his sore face still buried in the soft pillows. He sighed as he heard the door open.

“Edison called again.”

“Who cares,” Sean groaned snuggling into the bed comfortably.

The bed sank as Skyler sat beside Sean. “Still mad at him?”

“No, but I don’t want to see him or his shitty friends.”

Skyler laughed. “That doesn’t mean you can’t hang with Edison on your own.”

“I want to be alone. I’m going to spend the entire summer in this room sleeping,” Sean murmured flatly.

“Really? That’s no fun. What a waste of the sun and beach,” Skyler said sighing dramatically.

“Oh, well,” Sean shot back sarcastically. “I’ll deal. I got sunburn the other day and now it’s peeling,” he snapped.

Skyler chuckled. “Well, Zeke and I don’t like seeing you sad, so we have a surprise for you. Come on, get up,” he said shaking Sean’s shoulder.

“Bring it here!” Sean whined.

“Don’t be a lazy ass,” Skyler said snorting. “It’s a good surprise. Get your ass up or I’ll jump on you and bounce on the bed. I weigh a lot more than you,” he warned.

Sean cursed under his breath and without opening his eyes, climbed out of bed. He felt for the floor and walked to the living room with his eyes still closed.

“Fuck,” he hissed when he hit the doorframe. He continued the rest of the way with his eyes open. “What’s this big wonderful surprise?” he demanded in a cranky voice. “It better be good or else I’m going back to…” he trailed off, his eyes widening when he spotted Kessler.

Kessler stood near the doorway, a bag in his hand. “Hey, Sean.” He appeared calm and relaxed, but Sean detected the uncertainty in his friend’s eyes.

The memory of their fight came back to Sean. He frowned, but then stopped because it hurt to do so.

“What are you doing here?” Sean asked.

“You’re supposed to spend the summer with your friends and we figured you’d be a little homesick,” Zeke said standing beside Skyler. “So we flew out Kessler.”

“For how long?” Sean inquired.

“Two weeks,” Kessler answered looking at Sean searchingly.

Sean folded his arms and didn’t say anything.

Zeke looked between the two of them and frowned. “Is something going on here?” he asked. Neither Sean nor Kessler answered him.

“Okay,” Zeke said slowly. “We’re going to get lunch ready. Why don’t you show Kessler to the other guest room?” He grabbed Skyler’s hand and pulled him into the kitchen.

Sean stared at Kessler for a moment. He huffed. “Follow me.”

They wordlessly walked through the hallway and Sean pointed to the other guest bedroom. He made to leave, but Kessler grabbed his arm.

“Sean.” Kessler was frowning curiously when Sean turned around. “What happened to your face?”

“I played basketball with a group of guys and one of them went psycho on me,” Sean snorted rubbing his sore eye gingerly. “At least nothing is broken, but my nose bled a lot.”

“You look bad.”

“Thanks for the compliment,” Sean said dryly. He turned to go, but Kessler once again grabbed his arm.

“I have something for you,” Kessler announced.

Sean resisted the urge to frown and plopped on the bed. “Fine.”

Kessler studied him and began rifling through his large bag. Seconds later he fished out an envelope and thrust it at Sean. “Here.”

“What’s this?”

“That’s for you to find out,” Kessler stated with a smirk.

Sean shot him a dirty look as best as he could before tearing the envelope open. It was a card. It had a picture of a golden retriever puppy with a sad expression. Opening the card, Sean read two words: I’m sorry. Sean looked up questioningly.

“I mean it, too,” Kessler said with a straight face.

Sean glanced at the front of the card again, chuckling at the puppy’s face. “You’re such a dork,” he said to Kessler.

Kessler grinned. “A dork you forgive?”

“How could I not forgive something as cheesy as this?” Sean said waving the card.

Kessler shrugged. “I thought the card was fitting.”

“It was,” Sean laughed. “It’s cute. Thanks.”

“I really mean it though. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said all those things to you. I was just so angry,” Kessler explained rubbing his forehead.

“Angry?”

“Yeah, Sean. Angry. I think of you as a brother. If I had an actual brother or sister whose boyfriend was rough on them during sex or acted like Ethan, I’d go ape shit on them too. I wasn’t trying to hurt or belittle you. I just couldn’t believe you’d be willing to put up with that shit,” Kessler ranted, getting worked up again.

“Well I officially broke up with Ethan,” Sean sighed. “Had no choice really, I’m here for the summer.”

“How did he take it?”

“Not well,” Sean admitted. “Talked a bit crazy. Actually I’m glad to be away from him. All the things he said really freaked me out,” he shivered.

“What kind of things?” Kessler cocked his head.

“Like I’ll regret breaking up with him. That I’ll pay like all the others,” Sean said gnawing on his bottom lip. “That didn’t sound pretty.”

“No, it doesn’t. But don’t worry. Some people take break ups really hard. It will blow over.”

Hearing Kessler say the same thing that Edison had said made Sean feel relieved. Maybe Ethan didn’t mean anything by what he said after all. Maybe Sean was just being paranoid.

“So, are we good now?” Kessler asked resting his hands on his hips. “I missed you. I felt a big void for two weeks.”

Sean smiled. “Really?”

“Yeah,” Kessler chuckled. “And if you tell anyone about that mushy comment, I will kick your scrawny pale ass!”

Sean laughed, but then clutched his nose. “Ouch!”

“Who did that to you?” Kessler asked eyeing his friend’s face.

“Why, are you going to kick his ass for me?” Sean asked with amusement.

Kessler shrugged. “That depends. Is the guy bigger than me?” He flexed comically.

Sean laughed then flinched. “He is.”

“No, shit,” Kessler said his brow raising in surprise. “How much bigger?”

“Almost the same size as you, maybe a few pounds heavier. But height wise, he has at least two inches over you,” Sean explained. “I try not to get too close to him, so I can’t tell for sure.”

“I could take him,” Kessler said puffing out his chest.

“So macho,” Sean teased.

“I try,” Kessler smiled.

Sean bounced on the bed, stretching out. He sighed. “I’m glad you’re here, Kessler.”

“Yeah?” Kessler said plopping down beside Sean, nudging him aside. Sean scooted over to make room for Kessler.

“You pissed me off and hurt my feelings, but you were right,” Sean sighed. “You’re a good friend, Kess. We’ll have a fun two weeks.”

“What have you been doing so far?”

“Nothing,” Sean said closing his eyes. “I run every morning. Then I lounge around the house. A few days I’ve been hanging with Edison. He tries to get me to surf, but…”

“You hate going too far in the ocean,” Kessler finished. “You don’t know what’s lurking in the dark, deep water.”

“That and watching Jaws completely freaked me out,” Sean snorted. “Besides surfing, I met Edison’s friends. They’re all in college. We played basketball together and all of them are cool except for this one guy. No joke, Kess, this guy is mad weird. He meets me for the first time and he looks at me like I’m scum. Then the next time we’re together, he makes snide comments before nearly breaking my nose. He hates me and I don’t know why.”

Kessler hummed in thought.

“What?” Sean asked. “What’s going on inside that head of yours?”

“Remember during sophomore year that soccer player had a huge crush on Charlotte?” Kessler asked.

Sean smiled. “That stupid guy would push her around and tease her. Then at homecoming he kissed her.”

“Exactly.”

Sean looked at Kessler. “I don’t understand.”

Kessler sighed. “Sean, you fulfilled an entire semester of college credits in high school, yet you don’t understand what I’m implying.” He shook his head. “So smart, yet so dumb.”

“Hey! Just tell me!”

Kessler turned his face towards Sean. “The guy is gay and likes you.”

Sean’s mouth fell open. “No way!”

“Okay, maybe he’s bisexual, or in the closet, but definitely has some feelings for you. Unless all of Edison’s friends are major homophobes,” Kessler said curiously.

“Edison isn’t like that. He’s really cool with the whole gay thing,” Sean said. “I’m not sure if he told the rest of his friends though.”

“Then what I said stands. The guy is attracted to you.”

“He’s trying to show it by knocking me around during a game of basketball?” Sean demanded pointing at his bruised nose and swollen eye.

Kessler laughed. “Guys are stupid. We don’t think logically.”

“I don’t believe you. He doesn’t like me,” Sean insisted.

“If you say so,” Kessler said. “I haven’t observed the two of you together, so I don’t know. But you’re not one of those obnoxious assholes. There’s really no reason to hate you.”

Sean stared up at the ceiling thoughtfully.

“Do you think he’s hot?” Kessler asked.

“Kess!”

“What? It’s just a question. Jeez,” Kessler laughed. The bed shook from the vibrations.

Sean visualized West and thought of the large, muscular guy. The phrase ‘tall, dark, and handsome’ came to mind. That described West perfectly, with the ripped, tanned body, dark hair, and eyes. He also had the brooding, mysterious thing going on.

“He’s okay looking,” Sean said nonchalantly.

“I know that tone!” Kessler crowed. “You’re hot for him!”

“Am not!” Sean cried out elbowing Kessler.

“Ow! Watch it, runt!” Kessler yelled.

Sean slapped Kessler’s head playfully.



 

******



 

“Are you still pissed at me?” Edison asked when Sean opened the front door the next afternoon. He gave Sean a sad look, his bottom lip jutting out.

Sean laughed. “No, I’m good now. Come in and meet my friend. He’s visiting for two weeks.”

Edison followed Sean into the kitchen where Kessler was rummaging around in the fridge.

“Your uncles have so much food!” Kessler exclaimed in awe. “What do I eat first?”

Sean nudged Edison and they shared a smile. “Kess, do you know my Uncle Skyler? He eats massive amounts of food.” Sean cleared his throat. “Kessler, this is Edison. Edison, Kessler,” he said as the two guys shook hands.

“I heard one of your friends hit my boy,” Kessler said, cocking his head in Sean’s direction. Sean rolled his eyes.

Edison looked sheepish. “That would be West.” His eyes moved to Sean. “Sorry about the other day, Sean.”

“It’s okay. I’m over it now,” Sean said.

Kessler snorted and Sean shot him a dirty look.

“West knocked you over pretty good,” Edison commented.

“He’s an asshole. I don’t want to hang out with him again,” Sean said firmly.

“Understandable,” Edison agreed. “I don’t know what his deal is.”

Kessler and Sean glanced at one another.

“What was that?” Edison asked catching the look.

Sean knew what Kessler was going to ask. “Kess, don’t,” he warned.

“Why not?” Kess asked. Sean didn’t have an answer. Kess turned back to Edison. “Do you know if your friend is gay or bisexual?”

Edison looked surprised. “Umm, he’s only dated girls, as far as I know. But he’s never had a problem with gay guys. We’ve hung out with them on campus and in class and stuff.” Edison looked at Sean. “I don’t know his issue with you. I swear West is usually much friendlier.” Then he laughed. “Actually, ‘West’ and ‘friendly’ don’t go together. He has a sarcastic sense of humor and has his really cool moments. You just haven’t seen any of them,” Edison snickered.

“I doubt I would in the future,” Sean said folding his arms. “So, I better just steer clear of him until I leave.”

“Don’t let West ruin your time,” Edison said. “Keep hanging out with me and my friends. You were pretty good at holding your own at the basketball game. And West felt really bad about what he did.”

Sean snorted in disbelief. “I highly doubt that.”

“He did,” Edison insisted. “All of us were ragging on him and West was all quiet and went home.”

“That doesn’t mean he felt bad,” Kessler pointed out.

“I know West. He rarely feels bad about anything. He makes jokes and brushes it off,” Edison said.

“Whatever,” Sean dismissed. “I’m still not hanging out with him.”

“Don’t be that way,” Edison complained. “What if someone has a party and you’re both there? Are you going to leave?”

“Maybe.”

“That’s so immature,” Edison groaned.

“What, I should stick around so I could get beat again by him?” Sean asked his voice rising. “Bruises are fun,” Sean mocked.

“How about this,” Edison proposed. “I’ll talk to West. Hang with him one more time and see what happens?”

Sean sighed. “I don’t like him.”

“Get to know him.”

“Why bother? He decided to be an ass the second he saw me at the smoothie shop,” Sean said in a petulant voice.

“Don’t be such a baby, Sean. Get to know him,” Kessler suggested with a wink. “You might hit it off with him. You guys could be great friends.”

Sean’s eyes widened when he realized what Kessler was implying. He tightened his lips and shook his head at his friend.

“I agree,” Edison said, not having a clue what Kessler was referring to.



 

******



 

“Now you have hair like mine,” Sean laughed jumping up to rub Kessler’s head as they walked to the beach to meet up with Edison.

“It’s so fucking hot. I wanted less hair! I’m like a sweaty beast!” Kessler exclaimed, tilting his head slightly so that Sean could reach him.

“I like it,” Sean said. “It shows off your features.”

“My sexy face,” Kessler pursed his lips.

“You do have a sexy face,” Sean agreed. “Oh, calm down,” he rolled his eyes when Kessler looked shocked. “I’m not hot for you or anything. You’re good-looking, that’s all.”

“Have you ever had a crush on me?” Kessler asked curiously.

“I’ve always thought you were hot,” Sean replied honestly. “From the first time I saw you, I thought you were hot. But I got to know you, and you’re a great friend. I don’t see you as some hot piece of man meat,” he grinned, pausing for a beat. “Anymore.”

Kessler nudged Sean, laughing loudly. “I am still a hot piece of man meat.” He glanced down at his crotch.

“Now I see that you have the personality and brains to back up the goods,” Sean joked.

“Thanks a lot.”

“You’re also completely straight, so I knew there was no chance to be with you,” Sean sighed dramatically. “I can only admire from afar. Look but never touch.”

“Is that so?” Kessler asked grinning widely. “Ever dream about me at night?” He had a mischievous look on his face.

“Shut up! I am not dignifying that with an answer!”

“That means you have!” Kessler crowed bowling over. “Busted!”

Sean quickly turned a deep shade of red and started walking faster.

“No, Sean, wait. Man, wait. Let me ask you this,” Kessler asked jogging to catch up. He grabbed onto Sean’s shoulders and stared into Sean’s eyes seriously. “Have you ever had a wet dream about me?” His face exploded into a huge smile.

Sean hit Kessler lightly on the chest. Kessler started running with Sean close behind. “I hate you!” Sean shouted giggling. “You’re the worst friend ever!”

Kessler began jogging backwards, laughing at Sean. “You love me. Should I pose for a picture? Do you want me with my clothes on or off? Probably naked, right? Why you little pervert!”

Sean sprinted after Kessler.

“Oh shit,” Kessler cried out when Sean started gaining on him. “You’re a speedy little fucker! Damn you and track!”

That only made Sean laugh harder, causing him to slow down.



 

******



 

West couldn’t help the amused smirk that formed on his lips.

Edison and Kessler walked off to talk to Sean’s uncles about something and Sean looked like he wanted to jump up and follow his friend, but at the last minute decided to stay.

Sean glanced at West and immediately looked down, cramming three bites of a hamburger into his mouth, chewing slowly.

West eyed the fading bruise over Sean’s eye and felt a flash of guilt. He had no idea why he had gotten so aggressive during the basketball game. It didn’t happen often, but West regretted his actions. He took a deep breath. “Sean.”

Sean looked up, surprise filling his big hazel eyes. They were so bright. West swallowed hard and cleared his throat.

“Yeah?” Sean asked cautiously.

“Umm, about the other day, you know, during the basketball game…”

Sean’s eyes clouded over and he shrugged.

“I’m sorry for hurting you. I was acting crazy that day…”

“That day?” Sean interrupted. “Try like, all the time!” he burst out.

West raised his brow at Sean’s loud tone. He expected Sean to say more, but Sean only took a huge bite of his hot dog, having already finished his burger.

West opened his mouth to defend himself, but couldn’t come up with anything. “I’m sorry,” he said figuring being honest was the best way to go. “I’ll try to tone it down.”

“What, your asshole tendencies?” Sean mumbled around his mouthful of food. “Good luck. Can’t fix what you’re born with.”

West couldn’t help smiling.

Sean looked at him. “What are you smiling about?”

“Are you nervous?”

“No,” Sean snapped.

“Why are you eating so much?”

“I always eat this much,” Sean answered.

West eyed Sean’s thin frame skeptically.

Sean rolled his eyes. “Don’t believe everything you see. I eat, but I can’t gain weight!”

“Okay, okay, calm down,” West snorted.

Sean pouted in annoyance and looked away, stuffing more food into his mouth.

“How much more are you going to eat?” West asked studying Sean. “I’ve counted three hot dogs and two burgers.”

“You’ve been counting?” Sean asked incredulously.

“Not much else to do,” West grinned. “Edison is off with your little friend.”

Sean’s eyes narrowed at the mention of Kessler.

“I don’t know anyone else here but you,” West finished.

“You can always leave,” Sean suggested raising an eyebrow.

“Edison drove.”

“Walk. It will do your heart some good,” Sean said smirking.

West leaned forward. “My heart is just fine, thank you very much.” He met Sean’s eyes and they stared at one another. “So,” West began. “I heard you just got out of a relationship. And that’s why you’re here for the summer.” West said, digging through his memory of what Edison had mentioned about Sean.

Sean’s eyes widened. “That’s none of your business.”

“Hey, just trying to make conversation. You don’t have to be rude,” West mocked.

“You’re a shit-head,” Sean snapped. “I’ll be rude all I want.”

West chuckled. “I guess that’s a touchy subject. Bad breakup?”

“Why do you care?”

“Just trying to pass the time,” West drawled.

Sean abruptly stood up. “You’re a dick.” He turned to leave, but West quickly reached forward and grabbed Sean’s wrist. He pulled Sean back down.

Sean stumbled and sank into the plastic chair. “What the fuck, man?” He glared angrily at West.

West didn’t say anything. He continued to stare into Sean’s eyes, his hand still tightly wrapped around Sean’s wrist. He started moving his thumb around gently.

West’s eyes drifted to Sean’s lips. They were small, but pink and slightly bow-shaped. Maybe Sean was pursing his lips. West frowned and his eyes traveled back up to meet Sean’s eyes. They were wide and curious. He swore Sean was breathing harder.

“Sean!” Kessler shouted. “Come check this out.”

They broke their stare and turned to Kessler who was waving Sean over. Sean snatched his wrist back, his face flushed. West smiled inwardly. Sean walked awkwardly toward Kessler and they began talking.

“What are you smiling about?” Edison asked smacking his shoulder. “Were you being mean to Sean again?”

West grinned. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I was my usual charming self.”

Edison grunted as he chewed. “Oh shit. That’s not good. What did you say?” he scolded West.

West leaned back in his chair. “I was just making conversation. Trying to be friendly. He wasn’t having it though.”

His eyes wandered until they fell on Sean. Sean was nodding at something Kessler said, but then he shifted slightly, meeting West’s eyes. West couldn’t help winking and smiling. His smile widened when Sean blushed and looked down.

Edison was studying him. “West, what are you up to?”

West didn’t take his eyes off Sean. “I don’t know, Eddie.”

Edison narrowed his eyes. “Whatever. Just don’t be an ass to him. He’s had a tough time lately.”

West frowned. “What do you mean? His breakup?”

“Not my business to tell,” Edison replied. “Just lay off him.”

West stared at Sean once again, curious about the guy. There was something about Sean that kept tugging at his mind. Sean was an itch that wouldn’t go away.

West wasn’t used to feeling confused. It frustrated him to no end.



 

******



 

“Sammy, go upstairs to your room and I can tell you how much I miss you,” Sean said smiling into his phone. He had called home, missing everyone, and talked to his stepmother briefly before Sammy eagerly came onto the phone.

“Okay,” Sammy said. Sean could hear Sammy breathing as he climbed up the stairs. There was some fumbling on Sammy’s end. “I’m here!” Sammy announced.

“Are you standing in the doorway?” Sean asked. He heard more movement.

“Yes!”

“From the door to the window,” Sean began. “That’s how much I miss you.”

“Wow,” Sammy breathed in awe.

“Yup. I miss you that much,” Sean said grinning.

Sammy let out a little laugh. “I miss you! Sean, Sean! Mommy make cookies. I save you some.”

Sean felt touched. “Sammy, don’t save me anything. Go eat them.”

“Really?” Sammy sounded shocked.

“Yeah, Sammy. Eat all of them. I won’t be mad, I promise.”

Sammy cheered. “Love you, Sean,” he sang out.

“I love you, too, Sammy.”

“Sean, Daddy miss you,” Sammy whispered.

Sean looked at his hands. “I miss him, too.” He heard his stepmother yelling in the background.

“Sean, I got to eat dinner.”

“Alright. Bye, Sammy.”

“Bye, Sean!” Sammy made kissing noises into the phone.

Sean rolled his eyes good-naturedly and made kissing noises into the phone as well.

Sammy giggled before hanging up.

Sean shook his head, slipping his phone into his pocket. When he looked up, West was standing in front of him holding out a cup. Sean frowned and stared at it blankly.

“Take it,” West ordered gruffly.

Sean quickly took it and stared into the bright color. “What’s this?”

“A smoothie.”

“For me?” Sean asked in surprise.

West nodded. “It’s a good blend. Trust me.”

Sean eyed the cup suspiciously before sniffing it. It smelled like a smoothie. He stared into West’s dark eyes. “Why?”

“Shit, I didn’t do anything to it,” West rolled his eyes. “I’m just trying to make up for being such a jerk.”

Sean narrowed his eyes. “I don’t believe you.”

West let out a sigh. He grabbed the cup and took a long sip. Then he handed it back to Sean. “There. If you die, so will I.”

Sean couldn’t help smiling. “How noble of you to keep me company during my poisoned-filled demise which you caused yourself.”

West shrugged. “I do what I can.” He sat across from Sean.

Sean took a tentative sip and the tasteful flavors hit his tongue. He raised his brow. “Wow. What’s in this? It tastes really good.”

“It’s mango and pineapple with a little bit of kiwi.”

“Kiwi? Really?” Sean took another sip. “It’s good. Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

Sean looked around. “Are you working right now?”

“No. Tomorrow. I stopped in to make a drink and check the inventory,” West answered. “My parents are semi-retired and my dad has heart problems. He still checks in, but less and less,” he explained.

“How old are your parents?” Sean asked curiously.

“My mom is fifty-eight. My dad is sixty-seven,” West replied.

“That old?” Sean blurted out. “Shit.”

West smiled. Sean noticed that West’s whole face lit up when he smiled. “Well, in defense of my parents’ ages, I have an older sister, and three younger siblings. My sister is almost twenty-nine. I’m twenty-one.”

Sean smiled. “Sorry about that. I was just shocked. My dad is young because he had me during his senior year of college. He’s not even forty yet.”

“No kidding. He really is young.”

Sean nodded and sipped more of his smoothie, enjoying the taste.

“Who were you on the phone with?” West asked looking into Sean’s eyes.

“My brother.”

“Your brother? You were making kissing noises to your brother?” West shot him a weird look.

Sean laughed. “No, we’re not incestuous lovers.” He rolled his eyes. “My brother is five. He’s very affectionate. I miss him,” he admitted.

West smiled slightly. “Younger siblings are fun. Then they grow up and everything turns to shit. Just ask my older sister.”

“I bet you were annoying as hell growing up,” Sean agreed smirking. “But Sammy is little and cute, so I’m hoping it lasts for a few more years.”

“He’s five, huh? Did your parents forget about birth control that day or something?” West asked.

Sean burst out laughing. “No, Sammy wasn’t an accident. My dad didn’t get married until I was almost eleven, and then along came Sammy.”

“Wait, did you say married?” West asked in confusion. “Is Sammy your half-brother? What about your real mother?”

“That’s a long convoluted story,” Sean said finishing the remainder of his smoothie. He burped then grinned. “Yummy.”

West bit his lip. “I like long stories. I have time to kill. Want another smoothie?”

“Trying to bribe a long story out of me?” Sean asked amazed at the conversation he was having with West.

“Your little friend is surfing with Edison. I have to find company elsewhere, even if it’s just you.”

“Thanks,” Sean snorted flipping West off. “My friend’s name is Kessler, by the way.”

West waved his hand dismissively.

“How come you’re not surfing with them?” Sean asked.

“I’m not really good at surfing. Or any of those balancing sports,” West answered.

“Really?” Sean asked. “You look like the athletic type.”

“I am,” West replied. “But ground sports, like football, basketball, lacrosse, volleyball, whatever. I’m okay at ice hockey. But surfing and snowboarding, forget it. I lose my center of gravity and I’m hopeless.”

Sean laughed. “I can snowboard really well. I started young, but surfing freaks me out. I get so scared that a shark or whale is going to eat me.”

West gaped at Sean incredulously “Are you serious?”

Sean nodded sheepishly. “I have issues.”

“You do,” West agreed standing up. He grabbed Sean’s empty cup and crumpled it in his hand before throwing it into the garbage. He went behind the counter and started throwing things into a blender.

Sean watched with interest before his eyes drifted up to West’s torso. West was wearing a dark blue shirt that fit loosely, but still hugged his muscular frame. Sean couldn’t help focusing on West’s ears. They were small and cute, sticking out slightly. He smiled.

Minutes later West handed Sean a full cup. “Try this.”

“What’s in this?”

“I added strawberries to the mix,” West said sitting down. “So, what’s this long story you have?”

“Oh, okay,” Sean said getting comfortable. “I never met my real mother. My dad never married her and they weren’t even together when I was born. He knocked her up senior year of college when they drunkenly hooked up. She was going to either have an abortion or give me up for adoption, but my dad said no.”

West leaned forward, an interested expression on his face.

“I’ve seen pictures of her though,” Sean said. “She was tall and blond.”

West laughed. “Sounds hot.”

Sean rested his face in his hands. “I’ve always been close with my dad because it was just the two of us for so long.” He glanced at West with a troubled expression. “I feel so shitty. I said I hated him. To his face.”

West cocked his head. “Don’t feel too bad, Sean. Parents get accustomed to hearing that phrase. It’s all part of the parenting business,” West explained.

Sean smiled, reminded of Edison who had basically said the same thing to him. Go figure, West and Edison were close friends.

West continued. “When my younger sister April, who’s fourteen, said ‘I hate you,’ my dad responded with, ‘been there, done that with your brothers and sister. I love you, too, honey!’ My sister was so annoyed that she screamed and locked herself in her room for the entire day, refusing to eat any meals with the family.”

Sean laughed. “Really?”

West nodded. “Parents know their kids don’t mean that, unless their parents are really shitty. I’m guessing your dad isn’t?”

“No, he’s the best,” Sean said his shoulders slumping.

“You can always call him and apologize.”

“I guess. We’re in some kind of stalemate over my ex,” Sean sighed. “A big mess that was, and still is.”

West’s eyes sparkled. “Another story. Do tell.”

“Nope. I’m out of here,” Sean said getting ready to stand up.

For some reason West wanted Sean to stay and talk some more. He had to think of something to get Sean to stick around. “Hungry?” he threw out. West knew he had hooked Sean by the way the smaller boy’s eyes lit up.



 

******



 

“You spent the day with West?” Kessler asked rubbing his head. “The whole entire day?”

“What’s the big deal?” Sean said casually, trying to play it off.

Kessler looked at him with wide eyes. “Dude, he’s your sworn enemy!”

Sean laughed. “Don’t be so dramatic, Kess.”

“Whatever. The other day you were going on and on about how much you hated him and never wanted to see his stupid face. Then you spend the day with him? Sure,” Kessler scoffed sarcastically.

“Only because you abandoned me to go surfing with Edison!” Sean exclaimed.

“Don’t try to change the subject, Sean. How was your date with brooding loverboy?”

“It wasn’t a date!” Sean yelled. “We had smoothies, ate lunch, and walked around. We talked and hung out. That’s all.”

“Wow, how date like,” Kessler teased. “Romantic.”

Sean made a face.

“Do you like him now?” Kessler asked smiling.

Sean shrugged. “He wasn’t an asshole today. He was very normal. He’s not bad.”

“Are you hot for him?”

Sean turned red. “Kessler!”

“Oh come on! Lighten up. Did you find out if he’s gay or not?” Kessler pressed.

“No, I didn’t find that out. And I don’t plan on asking such a question, thank you very much.”

“Loser,” Kessler coughed into his hand.

“I’m taking a shower,” Sean said, briskly walking out of the room.

Kessler followed. “Does this mean you’ll be thinking about him when you sleep?” he asked. “Damn, I’m kind of jealous now. It was kind of cool starring in your nighttime fantasies. It’s like being a porn star in dreamland.” He had a mock look of wonder on his face.

Sean slammed the bathroom door in his friend’s face.

Kessler’s loud laughter followed even after Sean turned on the water.


 



 

Thanks to Frances for editing! And a special thanks to Pete and Mike for beta-reading and giving me feedback and encouragement.

Copyright © 2011 Tiff; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Guest cogito_ergo_sum1666

Posted

wow this is a very fun story i love it! and i love SAMMY so MUCH he is the sweetest thing here LOL

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I love Sammy, too :wub:

 

As for Kessler, he's either reading my mind, or I think like an eighteen-year-old, because again he's saying what I'm thinking. That's three times, and we're only up to chapter 7!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I loved this chapter. 

 

Storm's wish for Sean to be an 18 y/o and goof off with friends seems to be evolving. Kind of interested to find out if there is a thing between West and him or is it us projecting what we want to happen. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..