Jump to content

Coming of Age 1. Wearing Green on Thursday

   (8 reviews)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Coming of Age, Rich Boy
The Hide - cabin in the woods

This is the first story in the series entitled, "Wearing Green on Thursday." It is the first part of the fictional autobiography of Bruce Hutton, a gay man in his late forties.

In this story, we meet Bruce, who is a championship swimmer, and learn of his struggles with his sexuality. We are introduced to his best friend, Craig, with whom Bruce will have the pleasure of exploring gay sex.

Gay oral and anal sex, masturbation, strong language, erotic scenes.
Copyright © 2022 Tim Hobson; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (13 members)

  • Action Packed 7
  • Addictive/Pacing 12
  • Characters 12
  • Chills 5
  • Cliffhanger 3
  • Compelling 11
  • Feel-Good 10
  • Humor 5
  • Smoldering 9
  • Tearjerker 7
  • Unique 4
  • World Building 4

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Doha

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

Coming of Age is a story of two young guys who have spent their whole lives as friends, secretly loving each other. 

We are invited into their world and take the first journey of self-discovery with them. 

I laughed and cried, and found myself engrossed in their story and parts of their story that are also my story. 

A winner. I can't wait for the next volume to begin. 

Response from the author:

Thanks, @Doha! If there were a book cover, I would quote your review on it! I'm glad you added the part about how the story speaks to our own lived experiences as gay men finding ourselves. There's more of that to come, and I hope all my readers continue to recognize events and personalities that remind them of their own histories.

  • Like 1
  • Love 7
Link to review
Dan South

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

First love. First anything. We learn by doing. Our experiences make us who we are, day by day. Environment. Nature versus nurture?

Book One introduces us to Bruce who experiences his first love. All consuming but potentially ill-fated…first love. 

Set in the all-too-confusing 1980’s, Bruce might be gay. Gay in the 80’s wasn’t something seen on the three channels of TV or at the movies. Gay was something to keep to yourself.

Nature. Natural. Don’t ask. Don’t tell.

But what if nurture agrees with nature? What if nurture steps up and takes nature by the hand? Anything is possible. Right? I believe so.

I’m a believer. I believe I’ll find my answers in Book Two. You’ll have to read Book One to catch up with me. 

Choose Chapter One and choose to fall in love for the first, fleeting time.

#weargreenonthursday 

 

Response from the author:

Thanks, Dan. I'm a believer, too! Let's hang on for the ride, as Book 2 begins next week.

  • Like 1
  • Love 7
Link to review
pvtguy

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

The title says it all:  Bruce and his best friend, Craig, finally admit their attraction to each other, explore their sexuality and over the course of several months, experience adventures that become the foundation for the rest of their lives.  In the end, Bruce learns the hard facts of life - especially that he really didn't know Craig at all.  A good read that also serves to remind readers of their awakening.

Response from the author:

Thank you for the review @pvtguy! I relived part of my own awakening as I wrote Bruce's story, and it was bittersweet. Bruce's mother (her name is Julia) really pulled things (and him) together at the end.

BTW, Bruce's big sister, Natalie played a central role in my previous story, The Squire's Tale. His father, Tim (of whom we saw very little) was also in that story, and we learned a very interesting fact about him, too. Hint: being gay runs in the family!

  • Like 1
  • Love 8
Link to review
Pascal

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

We follow Bruce and Craig through discovering that they both have feelings for each other that go above and beyond friendship.

And I can tell you, it's worth every single page. You'll laugh with them, you'll shout at them and you'll cry for them.

As with his previous trilogy, @Tim Hobson doesn't disappoint one bit. And if the other two volumes of this trilogy are as good as this one, it's for sure a candidate for the Top 10 books on GayAuthors.

  • Love 6
Link to review
Marc_Fort

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

One of the best written stories of this type that I've ever had the pleasure to read! Looking forward to more.

Response from the author:

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed the story. It was fun to write, but a bear to edit. 🐻 I'm so grateful to my editor/beta reader @kbois I hope you like Book Two (Coming Out) as much as this one. Happy reading!

  • Like 2
  • Love 4
Link to review
Cane23

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Coming of Age is Book 1 from fictional Bruce Hutton's biography trilogy. Settled in eighties, when being gays was difficult and even illegal in many places, Bruce is afraid to accept that he is attracted by man. Living in denial, he is slowly opening to his best friend Craig, discovering that he has the same feelings. Together, boys discover their sexuality, secrets of their bodies, sex and emotions. They experiment with weed and even experience some unpleasant encounters with gay predators.

The end of story brings some disappointing discoveries to Bruce, but he is one of the few lucky ones (specially at that time) to be completely accepted by his mother and, eventually, father and sister. Going to Stanford is the new part of Bruce's life and he is ready for new challenges and battles.   

  • Love 2
Link to review
raven1

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

We have all gone through the time of life when we first discovered our sexuality.  It was filled with questioning, confusion, thrills, exploration and often anxiety and pain which you will remember reading this excellent story about Bruce.  The tale is an expertly written and very realistic tale which all can relate to as they remember their early years.  A great read and introduction to the series.

  • Love 1
Link to review
drsawzall

   8 of 9 members found this review helpful 8 / 9 members

Growing up, realizing you are gay, and looking for that certain someone to share that part of you, isn't only difficult, but frightening to contemplate as you navigate those high school years.

For Bruce, realizing a connection with his best friend Craig, brings answers to many questions and experiences. Follow Bruce as he and Craig navigate the angst of first love and all that comes with it!!

Response from the author:

Thanks, @drsawzall! Your review is a perfect tag line for the story!

  • Like 1
  • Love 9
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..