Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 2,826 Words
  • 4,332 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Shadow - 36. Chapter 36

West laced up his skates, wrapping the tape around his socks to keep them in place, adjusting the padding he was wearing one final time. He was aware of his ribs burning angrily, reminding him that his suffering was only just beginning; it was going to be a very long game.

He stood up, looking at his teammates; this was it, they were ready, and they had come through so much. They were an entire line short, their captain was injured, but they had still made it. The finals, and the other team would be waiting for them out on the ice, just as eager as they were.

West lifted his stick looking at Coach Highmore who was standing impassively by the door to the locker room. Coach Thorburn flipped through his clipboard and mumbled to himself as he thought through strategies on how to fight that night. An old General readying his battle plan, surveying his men, knowing that it all came down to that one game.

"Harding," Thorburn called out, "line one, you're starting; Clovis, Paul watch his back out there." The two defence men clapped their gloved fists together, affirming their commitment to do as much harm to the other team as was possible within the rules--or not, if the ref's back was turned.

As simple as that, Thorburn stood aside and gestured to the door, "Get on the ice, give 'em hell."

West came out of the locker room first, leading his team through the short passageway and through the door in the boards and out onto the ice to the cheers, and jeers of the fans. The other team had the home-ice advantage, but there was still a small group of dedicated parents and friends in one section of the stands cheering madly as the Storm took the ice.

West squinted up at it and saw the small blond figure on his feet cheering like a maniac. And West shook his head; Peter was the last person he expected to see. He did a low, slow circuit of the ice and lifted his stick in a salute, coming back around to their bench as his team began their customary warm-ups.

There was a feel to the air at the start of a game, cool and refreshing. He watched a moment, looking over at the other bench at their opponent team, the Trojans, a group of Catholic schoolboys that had swept the OFSAA playoffs cleanly, and were looking to take the gold medals away from the reigning Champions.

"Careful," Highmore said coming forward to the edge of the boards, and resting his elbows on them, subtly nodding to one of the Trojan players practicing his slap shots on net, "that's Brendan Watley, he's a first-round NHL pick this year. He's all-pro."

West gaped as he turned. "Shit," he murmured, as Matt slid to a stop beside him. "Their Goalie's name's Pat McAllister," he murmured breathlessly. "Supposed to be good, but I'm better," he smirked as he nudged West's arm. "Get me the puck and I'll get it past him."

West nodded. "I'll get you the puck," he reassured, taking a moment to meet Highmore's eyes.

The young coach was studying him again, and West cocked his head to the side. "Thinking about what you're going to say when we win?" West asked confidently.

Highmore smiled, "I was just thinking, you're all insane enough to actually pull this off. "Let's go Storm," he intoned with a certain reverence.

West skated backwards, turning on the ice to look over at Brendan who was watching him. Two opposing captains sizing each other up, as they passed each other. Cold eyes filled with anger and hate mirroring each other. It wasn't about the man, it wasn't about the game, it was about what the other team represented. They were out to beat them; they were in the way of that all-important win.

West adjusted his helmet as he took centre ice, staring into that face; Brendan's jaw was clenched, but his eyes were boring right into West's as he set his stick on the opposite side of the puck. Jaws grinding in anticipation. It was all about the puck, get the puck, pass the puck, touch the puck, and caress the puck. Do what ever needed to be done to tickle the twine and claim a goal.

Winning was every boy's dream, the treasured thought of victory and ultimately life. They had been bred for that, taught from a young age to strive towards it, and it all started the moment the puck touched the ice. As the Ref lifted it, and West's muscles tensed--he was facing off against a future NHL star. A flick of his eyes, showed Highmore leaning forward with his arms crossed, his breath held, a man who had turned down the NHL...

The puck dropped, and it was a mad scramble to get it. Brendan was fast, West was faster; he clipped the puck through the surprised captain's feet and swept around to intercept it, his breath catching from the exertion as he sprinted up the ice. Matt sped around the Trojan's defensemen; the short winger was too small, too fast for the bulky defensive core to stop, and West was in perfect position, Brendan hot on his heels, trying to throw him off, to stop him from trying to score. That was his mistake--West grinned tightly, West wasn't trying to score. The puck sailed across the ice to Matt, who was set up perfectly to send a slap shot towards the goal.

Pat McAllister's glove moved with astounding speed, catching the slap shot cleanly, and Matt's eyes went wide as he curved around the goal, staring in shock at West, who had slid to a stop before the goal.

McAllister was staring into his glove with the same kind of shock Matt was showing, Brendan confidently skating past West. "Nice try," he sneered, skating back towards his bench for a line change as they set up another face-off.

West followed his teammates back to their bench, Thorburn and Highmore clapping them on the shoulders as they came off the ice.

"Holy shit!" Matt was shaken. "How'd he do that?"

"We were all over them," Thorburn was saying, sending his second line in, "we had them beat...how?"

"Luck," Highmore said firmly, "'cause not even a pro could pull that save off twice." He nodded to Matt, his eyes sparkling, "No one's that lucky."

Matt nodded, slowly, not quite convinced.

* * *

It had been a scoreless first period; Peter was sitting anxiously in his seat, as West sipped a mug of coffee he had bought from the concession stand. It had been a nerve-wracking first period. Even Will had to admit he was finding it interesting, though he had no understanding of the rules, or what was really going on.

"The Trojan captain's good," Peter said in awe.

"He is?" Will asked blankly. "Which one's the captain?"

"That one," Peter pointed. "West's having a hard time with him."

"Right," Will nodded, taking another sip from his coffee, wondering if he nipped off to the bar they'd Irish it up to ward off the chill of the arena, and let the game pass a little quicker for him. But this was as much Andrew's moment as it was West's. This was Andrew's team--he coached and trained them, and he had helped bring them to the finals. Will felt a certain pride about that.

"How long are the intermissions?" Will inquired looking about him as the Zamboni did another circuit of the ice.

"Ten minutes or so," Peter replied, nestling down into Will's leather jacket that he had again borrowed because they hadn't had time to stop and pick up his on their way down to Toronto. Will had just settled for layers of sweaters, and lots of piping hot coffee.

"Thanks for bringing me," Peter said, taking a moment to nestle in against his big brother.

Will nodded at his suddenly affectionate sprog. "Anytime, you know that," he reaffirmed with a smile.

Peter nodded. "Yeah I do," he said sitting upright again. "Still, thanks."

"You're welcome," Will said getting up. "I need a refill," he explained, waggling his cup.

Peter smirked, "Addict."

Will chuckled and wandered up towards the concession area.

* * *

It was at the start of the second period that it happened. West had won another face-off against Brendan, and had started another rush on net, trying to get past the defensemen, when he took a pass across to Matt, his stick connected off angle and jarred against the ice. Ordinarily the blow would have simply been shrugged off, but it arced through his ribs like a knife, and he found himself on his knees, staring blankly at the ice.

Behind him the noise of goal resounded; Brendan had capitalized on West's fall, sweeping the puck back and taking a long shot that one of his teammates tipped into the net.

West closed his eyes against the nausea as he slowly got to his feet, staggering back towards their bench, catching the boards as he tried to keep his feet; the pain in his side was almost unbearable and he swayed a moment as Highmore caught him and helped him into the bench.

Thorburn was down on his other side, pressing his hands against West's side and shaking his head. "He's not going to make it," he murmured grimly.

Highmore was sending the second line out onto the ice, as he turned. "Send him to the locker room?" he asked.

Thorburn rubbed his jaw and shook his head, looking across to the Trojan's bench, where Brendan and the Trojan's coach were discussing something, glancing over at them and nodding.

"They know he's hurt," Highmore warned.

"I know," Thorburn replied kneeling down to look at West. "I need you to hang in there a little longer, Harding, can you do that for me?" he asked, gripping West's shoulders.

West grimaced and nodded, "Y-yeah..."

"Good." Thorburn stood up, "Sit him out the rest of this period, let him rest up, Clovis you're taking the first line..."

"Keep up the pressure," Coach Highmore advised, leaning in to speak to Clovis and Matt directly. "The more shots you take the more chance you have of getting past their goalie."

West rested on his stick, his forehead touching the wood as he tried his best not to be sick. They were a goal down, his side was killing him, and his team couldn't seem to break through McAllister's shutout. It was as if his glove were charmed; Matt would set himself up, receive the shot and keep pounding away at the goal, but it just seemed that the Trojan goalie lived up to his team's name by refusing to let anyone score.

His team was getting frustrated; Clovis kept cursing loudly at each missed opportunity, the defenseman taking out his frustration by nailing one of the Trojan wingers, a mistake that cost the Storm dearly as he was sent to the penalty box.

Brendan took the time to sweep past the Condor's bench and grin at West, shaking his head as he set up for a power play face-off. West gripped his stick tightly, as he tried to stand up.

They fought valiantly, trying to block the power play, but they were badly outgunned, and Brendan tucked a second goal away for the Trojans, as he swept back up the ice and shrugged to West.

"Sorry," he lied smugly.

And Thorburn drove his fist down onto the boards in frustration, as Highmore hung his head in dismay.

* * *

"What's wrong?" Will asked leaning forward in his seat.

"We're two goals down," Peter explained shaking his head. "They're not going to do it..."

Will stared down from the seats and looked right at Andrew; the junior coach was directing as best he could from the bench. From the look in his eyes, the way he kept running a hand through his hair and looking at the goalie, Will knew Andrew wanted to be out there, on the ice. But he wasn't on the team anymore, all he could do was stand by and watch, coaching them.

Those sapphire eyes looked up to where Will was sitting, and Will met them, offering a nod to the man he loved. Trying to communicate that he understood all too well what Andrew was going through.

* * *

The dawn of the third period saw the Storm reluctantly taking the ice, bruised and battered. But they were still fighting, outshooting the Trojans and playing with everything they had.

Two minutes into the third period West was leaning on the boards looking at Coach Thorburn, who was conversing in a low tone with Coach Highmore.

"It'll work," Thorburn said gruffly.

Highmore spared a glance at West and then at the senior coach, "I don't like using a person as bait..."

"You up for it Harding?" Thorburn asked, turning, knowing that West had heard every word.

"Yep," West nodded, looking over at the Trojan's bench.

"Good," Thorburn said, looking at Highmore, "set up the play."

Highmore for his part gave West a concerned look, but sketched out the play quickly so the first line could see it moments before they took to the ice, West once more staking out for the face-off.

* * *

"Are they nuts?" Will asked Peter. "The kid can barely stand..."

Peter's face had turned ashen white as he shook slightly, concern and worry etched across his young face. He watched as the Trojan's captain nudged his two defensemen and pointed towards West.

"They're going to go after him," Will observed, looking over at Andrew who stood with his arms folded pacing the length of his bench; he only did that when... Will looked down again at West, and again over at the defensemen, the Condor strategy becoming clear to him almost before the puck touched the ice.

"You claggy son-of-a..." Will murmured impressed.

* * *

West tapped the puck aside, slipping it past Brendan as he broke left, Matt intercepting the puck and passing it back to Clovis, the two defensemen and Brendan moving to corner West, the intent to check him into the boards and end the game for the Condor's injured captain.

So intent on going after West, they ignored the fact that Matt had slipped right past them, as Clovis casually deaked and passed the puck across to him. Matt's stick work was amazing, the goalie sweeping from side to side in the net, trying to anticipate the shot, leaping to the right as Matt feinted a shot, and neatly backhanded the puck into the opposite corner...

The two defensemen closed on West, colliding with him as they went down in a heap connecting with the boards solidly. Yet somehow, out of it he managed to get back up; the pain was intense, but he hobbled back towards the centre. Brendan sneered as he took the opposite face to West.

"You got lucky," he snarled.

West shook his head, coughing despite the pain. "Nope, you got stupid," he said, smiling.

Highmore leaned forward, one foot braced against the bench, his fist closed and his elbow resting upon his knee, a pose of a man with everything riding on a single play. If he wanted something badly....

West looked over at Highmore and nodded, as the puck dropped again.

The Trojans were unbalanced; they'd tried to get West the last time and had left themselves open to Matt's dazzling stick work, now they tried to compensate too much the other way, as West again beat Brendan to the draw. The defensive core repositioned to cover the small winger, who slid to a stop and cheerily waved at the two broad-shouldered men who were bearing down at him.

Confused for a second, they realized he didn't have the puck, and they searched for it. As West sprinted past the blue line on a breakaway, Brendan hot on his heels.

* * *

"Go, go, go, go, go!" Will was on his feet, along with everyone else in his section.

* * *

"Go!" Highmore clenched his feet and pounded his knee.

* * *

"No..." Brendan swore, as West drew back...

* * *

The arena went berserk; Peter grabbed Will as the two of them danced in the aisle, Will staggering a second to stop himself falling down the steps, as Peter clung to him tightly, cheering for all he was worth.

* * *

West rounded the goal clutching his side as he skated lazily up to Brendan. "Sorry," he said with a shrug, "that was me being lucky."

"It's still a tied game," Brendan threatened, taking a menacing step forward on his skates.

"Not for long," West vowed, looking at his teammates who were whooping and cheering as if they'd won already.

Copyright © 2010 By Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..