Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 2,768 Words
  • 4,455 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Shadow - 42. Chapter 42

Jonathan Harding was hauling a bale of hay across the yard, his boots squelching through the mud created by a sudden downpour. He looked up at the black sedan pulling into his driveway, and he drew up short, catching the distinctive government plates on the front fender. A military car.

He watched as the British officer climbed out of the car, reaching back inside for his peaked cap that he set over his steel-grey hair, completely ignoring the rain that was failing steadily and soaking through his uniform.

"Sir?" Mister Harding asked, setting his bale down carefully and crossing the yard to the Major. His old military training said he should salute, but he ignored it, he was a civilian now.

"Sergeant Harding," the Major greeted, inclining his head a fraction. The man looked imposing, and Mister Harding reflected that it seemed a common trait for British officers, that edge of confidence that came from almost ruling the world. For some it was arrogance, but he got a distinct impression from the Major's eyes that his had been hard earned.

"What can I do for you, Major?" Harding asked, tilting back his trucker's cap and pulling off his work gloves.

"I'm here to speak to your son, West," the Major said, direct and to the point.

Harding squared his shoulders, "Can I ask what a British officer wants with my boy?"

The Major surveyed the farm with a glance, his eyes flicking from the cars in the driveway, over to the bar, and out to the fields, settling back on Mister Harding, "My son asked me to talk to him."

"I don't understand," Mister Harding said hesitantly.

"I understand that your son was rejected by the United States Marine Corps." The Major rested a hand on the roof of his car, ignoring the rain streaming down.

"He was," Harding replied; there was something ominous about the way the British Major said that, something about his mannerism that said he had a purpose. "He's thinking of joining the Canadian Army instead."

"I know," the Major replied with a stout nod, "and he is going to run straight into the Canadian Army's recruiting policy. I am here to offer him an alternative to waiting."

Harding folded his arms, wondering why this man would help his son, but he shrugged and gestured towards the house, "He's inside."

The Major nodded again, glancing up at the rain and smiling slightly. "Thank you," he said, following West's father into the old farmhouse.

The Major waited patiently by the door, tucking his cap under his arm, as West's father stopped a moment to have a quiet conversation with his wife. It was a comfortable, lived-in home, wonderful smells of cooking coming from the kitchen as pots and pans bubbled happily. There was a feeling in that house of peace, something the Major could appreciate never having had it in his own home. It came down to a choice, order or happiness, and he preferred order.

"Please come in," Mrs Harding said as she cleaned her hands on a tea towel. "Would you like a cup of tea?" she offered, as the Major stepped into the house properly.

"No, no thank you," he shook his head stiffly, his mouth twisting in distaste at the thought of what the Canadians called tea. "Perhaps coffee if you have it?"

Mrs Harding nodded, as her husband went off to find his son. The Major took a moment to nod, "You have a beautiful house here, Mrs Harding."

"Thank you." She smiled, setting the coffee and motioning through to the living room, "Please sit down."

There was an edge of tension in the air, uncertainty. Both parents felt awkward as the Major sat down in a low arm chair, adjusting to get comfortable, tugging down on the Sam Browne belt he wore so it sat properly.

Mrs. Harding sat down on the couch, and shifted to perch on the edge of it, occasionally glancing behind her to see where her husband was, not exactly sure what to say to the British Major. The uncomfortable silence settled over them as they waited.

"I heard your son won the Provincial championship," the Major said politely. "You must be very proud."

"Y-yes," Mrs. Harding bobbed her head, "he played with a broken rib." She glanced behind her again as she heard her husband coming back.

The Major rose from his seat, tugging down on his olive-green tunic, standing tall to get his first look at the young man he had heard so much about. The first thing that struck the Major was the determination behind those grey eyes, an inner strength that reminded him so much of his own son. A fire that lay deep inside and drove a person onwards.

West wasn't broad-shouldered, but he wasn't lean either; he was well-developed with a couple of lines on his face, and the Major again took pause. West was too young to have earned them in any other way but hardship.

His bruises were fading, but even still the marks of his fight were still present, shadowing the eyes, the cut on his forehead standing out sharply. But even beaten, that fire stayed constant. The kind of boy that, when beaten, got back up again.

"Wesley Theodore Harding, I presume," he said in his clipped accent. Real men didn't shake hands, they didn't have to. You took them at their word.

* * *

West frowned; the British Major at once reminded him of Will Carter--they had the same eyes, the same tone to their voice, that same presence that made a person pause and think before they said anything.

"Yes," he said carefully, glancing to his father again, wondering what he was there for. His father had said that he was there to help, but help how? He mentally shook himself to focus, "Yes, I am."

"Major David Carter, Queens Thirty Second," the Major introduced himself, "currently the British Liaison Officer to the Canadian Military. Would you sit down?" He gestured to the rocking chair, sitting down himself.

West balked; it was the first time he had ever been invited to sit down in his own home, but he found himself sitting anyway. "What's this about?" he asked nervously.

"Perhaps we could have a moment to discuss this privately?" The Major looked at West's parents.

Jonathon nodded and held out a hand to help his wife up. "We'll be in the kitchen," he said, looking over at West. Flashing the Major another puzzled look, they both left them alone.

The Major watched them leave, turning back to West as he dropped his peaked cap down on the coffee table, "I heard you had a few troubles lately, sunshine."

West balked a little at being called sunshine by a complete stranger, but he chose to ignore it, as he folded his arms, tucking his hands into the folds of his grey flannel shirt. "It's been a tough couple of weeks," he admitted, glancing down at the cap, and up again. "Are you related to Will?"

"I'm his father," the Major said; there was a strain to his voice, but it vanished as he pressed onwards. "Why do you want to be a soldier?"

"My father was one," West answered, knowing how lame that sounded. He drew a deep breath, "All my life I've wanted to actually make a difference doing something that means something."

"There is a purpose in the army," the major agreed. "But if that is your reason for wanting to join, why not simply enlist? Why choose to become an officer?"

West shifted again in his chair, still staring at the cap, his brow creasing. "Honestly?" he asked, looking up.

"Please." The Major smiled tightly.

"It's about inspiring trust," West said, meeting the Major's eyes. "Leadership, being the one people can depend on to lead them to accomplish what needs to be done."

"It takes a lot of mental preparation to deal with command," the Major warned. "It's a constant challenge."

"I want to try," West replied, setting his jaw.

The Major's eyes narrowed, again seeing that flicker of his son's fire in this boy. There was nothing arrogant about West, only determination and honesty and the Major could appreciate that.

"Very well, Mister Harding," he said, resting his hands on the arms of the chair and staring intently at the boy. "Tell me, what makes you feel so certain you will earn the responsibility of leadership?" He glanced at the small collection of hockey trophies on the mantle, and back at West, "Because there is a difference between winning a hockey game and leading men into battle."

West nodded, "I know." He sat upright, leaning on the arm of his chair, "I just need a chance to prove myself, sir..."

"Don't call me sir," the Major held up two fingers and shook them, "you're not in uniform yet."

"I'm sorry..." West began then settled back. "But I meant what I said--if I get a chance I will prove myself."

"Tell me about the five boys that jumped you," the Major asked, shifting tack.

West's hands tightened on the arms of his chair, as his back went rigid and he swallowed. "They didn't think someone..." he stopped and shook his head, "they didn't think a fag like me should play on a hockey team."

"There are men that think the same way about the army," the Major said quietly.

"They're wrong," West said forcibly. "I can fight just as hard as any of them."

"Harder, it seems," the major said, smiling faintly as he glanced towards the window at the rain coming down, and back at West. "So tell me, how would you prove them wrong?"

"By being the best damn soldier I could be," West replied, remembering what his father had said, and setting his jaw. You either let the bastards win, or you buckled down and you kept going, no matter how hard it got.

"If you have the potential to lead, the desire to make a difference, that will help," the Major stated. "Taking a role as a leader means you will be shaping the lives of people in your team. You could be posted throughout the world, and tours of duty could last from two years to as little as a few months. It's a big commitment."

"Are you trying to discourage me?" West asked cautiously. "Because you're not going to do it."

"I know," the Major said looking back. "You remind me a lot of my own son, and he's as stubborn as they come."

"I've met him," West said with a light smile.

"Why the American marines?" the Major inquired thoughtfully, "Why not the Canadian Army?"

"I get asked that a lot," West answered seriously, he shifted uncomfortably. "They didn't have what I was looking for."

"They are better trained than the marines are," the Major replied. "Smaller, harder working and damn effective."

"But?" West asked.

At that moment his mother came in from the kitchen bringing coffee.

"They are a Cadre force," the Major said simply. "Before World War One the Canadian army was very small, and should a threat come along, they conscripted people to fill their ranks to deal with those threats." He shifted and accepted the mug of coffee West's mother brought to him, before she disappeared back into the kitchen, allowing the Major to continue, "The Administration exists in place, the Canadian Army has a few well-trained forces to deal with crisis, and should war come conscription swells those into an army. This is the philosophy behind the Canadian Army-well, most armies, with the exception of one or two countries."

"Right," West nodded.

"It works well," the Major said, nodding. "In World War Two the Canadian force made up one quarter of the Normandy landing. However, I get the feeling you want to serve on something a little more permanent."

West nodded, "Yeah."

"So, again, why America?" The Major smiled, "There are easier options, especially for someone like you."

West swallowed and shrugged, "Like what?"

"In January of this year," the Major said, adjusting his position in his seat to sip from the coffee mug, wincing at its lack of flavour but saying nothing. Looking up at West, he continued, "In January the British Army decided to capitulate to a European Court ruling that said that discrimination based off of certain...choices," again he rolled the word distastefully, "was a violation of human rights. And so abolished its standing policy on homosexuals in the military. It was decided the American don't-ask-don't-tell policy only served to ignore a problem in the hopes it would go away." He smiled tightly, "We British tend to tackle things more directly."

West blinked, "The British Army? How...?"

"You are a citizen of a Commonwealth country, and with a string or two pulled here and there you can be made a full British citizen. You meet all the other requirements to be accepted, and with a letter from a currently serving senior officer I think you could be accepted to Sandhurst Military Academy."

"Sandhurst..." West swallowed.

"A year's initial training in leadership, organization and other skills you're going to need to be an officer," the Major said, sitting back into his chair, studying the boy's stunned reaction closely. "After that it's Infantry training and Platoon Commanders courses."

"But why?" West choked out, still shocked at what the Major was offering.

"Honestly?" the Major asked, mimicking West's earlier answer.

"Please..." West murmured, staring at the grim-faced soldier opposite him.

"Because I would have done this for my son had he asked." He stood, setting his cup down on the coffee table and picking up his cap, "And he did ask, for you."

"I-" West swallowed, "I don't know what to say."

The Major tucked his cap onto his head, "Think about it. You have a week until I depart for my next assignment, I'd like to send you on your way before then so that you can attend the training courses at Sandhurst."

"T-thank you...sir..." West stammered, standing up.

"You have to earn the right to call me sir," the Major said firmly, as he nodded. "One week, Mister Harding." He pulled a pen out of his pocket and jotted down his number on a scrap of paper, "Don't disappoint me."

"I won't," West said, shaking his head.

The Major's eyes swept up and down the young man facing him, and he knew that he wouldn't be disappointed; he gave one final nod and marched back through the kitchen. West was left to sit and stare at the window, the piece of paper with the phone number on it clutched lightly in his hands, watching as Major Carter climbed into his car and backed up the driveway.

It was the offer of his future, Sandhurst... England...

The thunder crackled across the sky, as the rain came down harder.

It was everything he had ever wanted in a piece of paper with a few numbers on it, and he owed it all to a man who had taught him years ago.

* * *

Will walked back into his quiet house and slipped off his jacket, shaking off the beads of rain as he walked through into the dark living room. He retook his position at the patio doors to stare over his dark garden, to watch the storm as it swept through.

He wondered at his own life, at the choices he had made, the things that had made him who he was. The events that had tried him, and had helped shaped him into the man he was. The people that had come to influence his choices, and guided his path.

He pushed open the patio door and walked out onto the veranda, as the rain fell down, plastering his hair to his head in seconds, the rain becoming a torrent as if it knew he had stepped outside.

He let it stream down his face, soaking him to the skin as he rested two hands on the rail and looked around his garden, lightning crackling across the sky chased by the rumble of thunder in the distance.

Be the man...

The words echoed in the thunder as Will bowed his head, feeling the water run down his neck, trickling down his shirt and sliding down his back. His hands locked into a knot behind his back as he stood brace-legged under the full fury of the storm.

"The problem is," he murmured, "I am that man."

The thunder roared its agreement.

Copyright © 2010 By Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

"Because I would have done this for my son had he asked." He stood, setting his cup down on the coffee table and picking up his cap, "And he did ask, for you."

The line chokes me up every time. Beautifully executed chapter, thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Very well written. The Major stepped up and did the right thing. Beautiful. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, I guess the British Army is better than US Marines. And Sandhurst does have a good reputation.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..