Jump to content
    Tsukihana
  • Author
  • 1,673 Words
  • 208 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Do vaporwave kitsune count technicolor sheep? - 15. Chapter 15

“My Lady. It’s time.”

Baba is shaking me awake and I open my eyes blearily shaking my head. They have equipped each of themselves with a small satchel thrown over their shoulders. Even their demeanors have transformed into serious mien and I can tell that they mean business.

“Thank you, just give me a moment to prepare myself.”

Each time I slumber I notice that the dreams are remaining fresh in my mind, vivid and real compared to the fleeting ones that shocked me to waking before. Could that really have been my father? It’s not like I have any proof that he wasn’t...Recalling the look in his eyes as he spoke of my mother cemented the thoughts in place.

She never did impart any real specifics to me, only telling me his name and little things about him during her most intoxicated stories. After over eight hundred years...why show up now?

“Lady Moon? Are you alright?”

“Sorry, Gunter, I was having the oddest dream and I got lost in thoughts of things long past. I’m ready.”

“Night has long since fallen. As you’ve instructed, My Lady, the time is now.”

Giving my legs a good stretch as I get up off the floor, we quietly leave the remaining kobold deep asleep. We take the journey towards the seemingly slumbering city of Gatsby as an opportunity for a lesson in synchronizing our movements. Almost like a game, we mirror our footfalls until they become so dampened as to almost be silent.

Even under the cover of the blood-dark sky, the trio of kobolds get to work tuning their Veiling and I watch in fascination as their scales blur and change to adjust on the go to their surroundings. I’m becoming used to the journey into the city, and by now I’ve mapped out the swiftest route. The twins flank me on either side while Gunter brings up the rear as we near where the main road enters Gatsby.

“A moment guys...I’ll be using my human form from here on in.”

Pausing in the underbrush not far from the roadside, I let the change overtake me as I don my guise. I make the effort of reining in my tails for subtlety sake but the horns remain. Swathed in a tight fitting black bodysuit and facemask, only my dark foxglove eyes are visible. Hurriedly I braid my long ultraviolet hair before tossing it over my shoulder to hang down to my hips.

“Let’s go, boys.”

Liebli reaches into his satchel at his hip and pulls out an identical empty one that he hands to me.

“For you, My Lady, and may the night be bountiful for us all. I swear we will bring you great pride as we fleece the sky-dwellers of their treasures.”

“To the hunt.”

On silent feet, we dip and duck our way through the dark shadows amid the cityscape. Overhead white clouds cast ghostly shadows as they skirt above the skyscrapers that rise to scratch at the bloodied sky. In perfect unison the twin moons hang milky and white as they slowly wane away.

The alleyways are hauntingly silent and empty, deprived of any signs of life in a city of such scale. Flashing neons peddling everything from clothing lines and salvation from all manner of end times, and locked back door entrances pass us in the night.

Are you going to be saved when the time comes?

It’s not too late. It’s never too late.

Seek out our haven at 2365 Elm St.

A sharp involuntary bark of laughter escapes me as I let the sign become just another figment in the night. I was going to prove that you could only count on yourself if you want to be saved. In no world is anyone going to do it for you.

The kobolds keep quiet beside me, dutifully focused on the task at hand. I must admit that I’m proud of the efforts they’ve put forth towards the task I set before them. Truly, they have thrown themselves into it wholeheartedly.

Even from the back alleyways I can tell when we’ve transitioned into the area where the more affluent souls call home. The warren of alleyways becomes sparser as the surroundings give way to picturesque gardens and gravel lined walking paths. The red stone mansion looms dark and quiet against the crimson skyline.

Silently motioning with two fingers I wave towards the building, indicating to the kobolds that this is our target. It’s just as I’d hoped when I chose this time of night to conduct our delinquent foray into Gatsby. Essentially a ghost town, there is not a soul around as we scamper through the shadows.

Retracing my steps, I lead them through the main arched entrance from the now empty curbside, and pause just inside the tree lined gravel drive which now lies in an unlit line to the front doors. No partygoers, no softly glowing lanterns. The scene is a far cry from the grand gala I somehow managed to gain entry to. The party must lie elsewhere tonight.

Once I’m assured beyond the shadow of a doubt that there is no one around I lead my little troupe forwards. Keeping the shadows of the left edge of the neatly kept garden, I repeat my two fingered gesture towards the rear corner of the mansion.

Nodding in understanding, they remain close at my back as I lead the way beneath the trees and night blooming bushes that shower the dark in sprays of neon hues. The bubbling of a fountain behind the red stone house breaks the almost eerie silence as we gather at the rear entrance. I stare at the set of doors I used to make my escape...from him.

No...I can’t afford to let a handsome face distract me from my current task. The kobold’s safety is in my hands and there’s no way I will disappoint them. Motioning for them to remain behind me, I hold one palm out facing the door. My fox ears pricked in concentration, dark circles of power appear on my palm as I search for vestiges of magic placed upon the doorway.

Being open to the outdoors during a grand party was one thing, but during the peaceful quiet hours of the night you’d have to be a fool to leave your home unguarded. My personal encounter with Faes showed me beyond a doubt that magic exists in this world, as well as the words of warning from the handsome sable haired dragon in my dreams.

Sinister sigils creep up through the wood grain, revealing that the house is not without protections. Beyond that...I am unable to discern exactly what manner of harm would befall us if we tried to gain entry there.

Looking back at the three, I shake my head. Gesturing to the corner of the house I motion for them to follow me to the rows of windows that line the library. Further retracing the path of my escape from...him, I hold out my hand towards Baba as I stand beneath the first window. Into my hand he places a pair of narrow steel hair pins.

Taking a moment I check to make sure that there aren’t any curse-like markings ensorcelled into the casement of the window, or else this would be all for nothing. Next I give the glass a push...just enough to see if I can fit my tools within the seam when it lifts wide open with ease. In shock, I tuck my tools away into my satchel...so much for needing to break in. All I could figure was someone forgot to lock the window…

Without making a sound, the kobolds precede me through the window, their bodies blending and shifting in hue as they traverse through the opened glass. Bringing up the rear, I drop myself in and roll quietly across the plush carpet.

Two fingers in the air, I make a circling motion above my head and watch as they spread out around the room. After turning to slide the window shut behind us, I survey the room...sans couple fucking against the bookcase this time. My eyes are instantly drawn to the gorgeous scenic paintings on the wall and I feel a little let down knowing that there is no possible way I could get away with something so large. Glancing to my left, I see Baba and Liebli pocketing small statuettes and metal candlestick holders gleaming on a fireplace mantle. Gunter is busying himself leafing through the expensive handbound volumes and I watch as he picks a few small gold leaf etched volumes to fit in his satchel.

Satisfied that they are capable of doing what we came here to do, I look to my right where a gigantic rolltop dark wood desk dominates the right side of the room. Maybe my little tools won't go to waste after all. I roll back the wooden curved arm desk chair before settling into the cushioned seat. On either side of the desk three drawers of locked drawers stack down to the carpeted floor. I pull the steel hair pins from my own satchel as I decide between trying my luck at the main prize or an appetizer on the side.

Go big or go home.

Turning my attention to the top partition of the desk, I give it a little lift and find it locked. Was worth a try...Sliding one of the hairpins into the crack, I settle it flush against where I can feel the catch of the lock. Pressing the other pin into the slot of the top I give it a jiggle as I slide sideways with the other.

The sound of scratching against wood is loud in the dark stillness of the library, and I’m grateful when I finally hear the tell-tale click of the lock freeing itself.

Bingo.

Rolling up the carved wood top, I peer within to see what treats I’ve uncovered.

Copyright © 2021 Tsukihana; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..