Jump to content
    Tsukihana
  • Author
  • 1,778 Words
  • 275 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Do vaporwave kitsune count technicolor sheep? - 17. Chapter 17

The air is heavy with an overhanging layer of fog which blocks out the crimson sky above me, hanging about the rooftops. My chest feels warm and wet from blood seeping into the fabric. I have to make it out of the city, and it’s the only thought I allow myself at the moment. Nelson was in for some rather unsavory company and it probably wouldn’t take much for him to spill his guts...at least before they spill ‘em for him.

If the skies decided to open up and pour rain down on my head, I’d actually be appreciative at the moment. No? Must have used up all my luck on the breaking and entering. My hand hurts like the very devil, but it’s likely a lot better than what would befall me if he were to send them my way. Keeping up a good pace, it’s not long before I find myself in the industrial zone of the city.

Almost there. You can do this.

My little self pep talk is all well and good, but it’s doing little to abate the woozy feeling that is beginning to set in. Looking around me to gauge how alone I am, I allow myself a short rest against the nearest wall. The world is deceptively quiet and I know that I can’t let myself remain in this spot overlong. I certainly would have trouble running on the paw, so a little rest will benefit me in the long run for the remainder of my escape.

Gingerly I draw my right hand away from my chest and am gratified that at least the bleeding seems to have finally stopped. The coppery stench engulfing my clothes is enough to give away my location for miles. I need to get back and get this taken care of. I can see deep punctures in the fleshy pad of my palm, and realize that whatever happens...you got a good one on me, Nelson.

I look up at the sky once more in vain, finding it impossible to tell if it was anywhere even close to morning with the amount of fog hanging low above my head. Heaving myself up to my feet, I replace my hand to my chest and plod one foot in front of the other towards the main exit of the city.

Stay awake, Moon. Think of something...anything.

I remember the stacks of papers shoved into the satchel at my side. At first glance, it appeared to be some sort of shipping manifest. I am familiar enough with the documentation, after all. Back home...on Earth.

Known as something of a leading expert of art, it’s hard to pass a forgery under the knowing eyes of someone who was there when it was created. In my house I even have a secret room...I suppose you could call it my dragon’s hoard, of portraits done by the Masters across eons. I’m most partial to the Degas, I must admit.

Perhaps these papers would allude to the shipment that the terrifying Master Cog was so expectant of. Again the sable haired dragon...probably my father...flashed through my mind with his warnings that there is more afoot here than I realize. I wish Kemuri….No. I don’t wish he were here.

For better or worse, I’ve made it this far by the merit of my own decisions. My path to choose, and my path to follow. I let out a hollow self deprecating laugh as I take myself in. Walking on the side of the road, clutching a bloody hand to my breast while my mind swings wildly between self affirming girl-power and remembering a life that I am likely to never see again.

Now that I’m finally clear of the bank of smoke and fog hanging over the city, I inhale deeply of the night air and am relieved when I catch the traces of brimstone. They passed this way and are probably worriedly awaiting me.

I drag myself onward, ignoring the stinging throb that is beginning to spread down my arm. The den is getting closer by the moment and I begin to realize just how much like home it has begun to signify.

Pausing at the entrance I change my shape to my chibi form, shrinking down until I am a small fox to easily fit into the tunnel entrance. Nosing the vibrant leaves aside I limp inside, practically dragging the satchel across the earthen floor at my side.

“My Lady!”

Gunter is the first to greet, he runs from the communal area where he appears to have been pacing just outside in the tunnel.

“You’re injured! Let me take your things.”

With gentle hands he relieves me of the bag hanging around my neck.

“Lady Moon!”

Frau rushes out to act as a crutch to me beside my limping injured paw.

“My apologies for having everyone awake and in such a state in the dead of night.”

“None of that now. The twins have already told us what happened. Now come along so we can get you checked out.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

The crimson kobold tuts at me softly before assisting me onward to the central living area. Witchlights burn bright, engulfing the area with light. Katia is waiting with a smooth wooden slab laden with powders, dried herbs, and what appears to me some type of ointment in a small clay pot. The females do a thorough job of checking me over for other injuries, and it tickles slightly to feel their small claws ruffling through my fur. Once she is finally satisfied that I hide no other ailments, Katia turns to my injured right paw.

“My thanks for ensuring they returned to us safely.”

She says the words in a low emotional whisper, meant for my ears only. Looking behind her I can see where the twins are making a grand show of pulling a pair of silver candleholders from their bags to press into Ein’s hands.

The bags are tossed haphazardly against the cavern wall, as though they simply threw them aside the moment they made it back. They really must have been preparing for my return this entire time, not even pausing to see what treasures they came away with. My affection for them grows with every moment that I am in their company.

“They did very admirably. Things were going well at first...but you can never truly account for every eventuality. You have no idea how happy I am that they made it back to the den safely. I think I even got a small lead on your missing comrade.”

The twins' heads pop up, their bags dropping slack to the floor upon hearing my words.

“Truly, My Lady?”

“I was able to have a bit of ‘conversation’ with the neko. He let slip about another resembling a kobold that is being kept as a pet.”

Gunter hisses.

“The Lost Ones are not pets.”

“I agree, and I will think on how to best approach the situation. If I have any ideas, I will be sure to see what all of you think.”

Katia gently takes my paw in her hand to look it over.

“Gunter, please fetch me a fresh basin of water.”

The hematite scaled young one hops into action and disappears back into the further recesses of the cave. After a few minutes he returns carefully holding a shallow bowl of fresh water which he places beside Katia.

Dipping a clean strip of cloth, the azure female gently wipes away the drying caked blood. She repeats this process until the wound is clearly visible. Without having to be told, Gunter appears to retrieve the dirty water and soiled cloth strips.

Opening the small clay pot, Katia dips two fingers into the ointment. With a gentle touch she slathers the thick unguent into the deep bite marks. Like a nurse, Gunter is there at the ready with another fresh strip of cloth for her to wipe her fingers clean before she gathers a pinch of the powder to sprinkle liberally on top of the ointment.

“I believe that should do it, My Lady. We will steep the herbs into a tea for you to drink for any remaining pain.”

“Thank you for your care, but I don’t think tea is really necessary. You have done plenty to aid me.”

“As you will, My Lady. Just give me a moment to wrap the wound.”

With another fresh strip she carefully wraps the length of my paw in the clean linen. After packing away the remainder of her things, Katia retreats back to the storage room. Ein lays a small pile of sticks in the center of the communal area, setting a short legged iron cooking tripod over the kindling.

“Allow me.”

Using foxfire I set the kindling alight so that a cheery flame begins to warm the room. A plume of smoke wends its way towards the ceiling.

“It won’t take long, Lady Moon.”

Katia returns holding an earthen teapot which she sets over the fire, and within minutes I can hear water bubbling as it begins to boil. The aroma that fills the air is tantalizing and for a moment I am brought back to the Inari shrine and I can imagine my mother pouring me a hot cup.

Once the tea has sufficiently steeped, Katia removes it from the flames and pours me a steaming cup. Inhaling deeply of the fragrant brew, the smell is reminiscent of mint and rosemary. I cool the cup with an exhalation of breath before lapping us the delicious drink. The taste is pleasant as it warms my insides and before I know it, I have finished it all.

“Well done, My Lady. Rest now.”

She reaches to gently pat the top of my head, and it is a matter of minutes before my vision blurs and I can’t help but lay my head down to rest atop my paws. With blinking eyes I watch as she uses a pair of roughly hewn tongs to remove the cook stand from the fire before placing a dome over it to kill the flames. The room goes dark around me and I let sleep overtake me.

My slumber is deep and dreamless, and when I open my eyes again I feel vastly restored. Lifting my right paw, I bend it to test my range of motion and find that aside from only a twinge of soreness it is surprisingly free of inflammation and swelling. I will have to be sure to express my genuine thanks to the kobolds for taking care of me.

Copyright © 2021 Tsukihana; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..