Jump to content
    Tsukihana
  • Author
  • 1,074 Words
  • 227 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Do vaporwave kitsune count technicolor sheep? - 3. Chapter 3

Keeping the winding ribbon of road to our right, we eventually approached the outskirts of the city. Kemuri slowed to a halt, his smoky twin tails swishing with anticipation before turning to me.

“Okay, here’s what I have in mind. Remember your way back to this spot. Two foxes roaming the city streets might be a bit noticeable so I think we should split up here. Keep a low profile and we’ll meet back here in two hours. Stay safe and stay out of sight if you can help it. If someone sees you...play the cute, cuddly harmless card.”

Nodding in agreement, I reach out one paw to gently tap his nose. Jumping back he cocks his head to one side.

“Really, Moon? I’m not a kit anymore...You don’t have to do that anymore.”

I can’t help flashing him a toothy grin at his indignation.

“I know...just humor me a bit of familiarity before I go.”

He rolls his ashen eyes up towards the pink hued sky but nuzzles my cheek affectionately before turning and disappearing down a side street. Left to my own devices, I sit in the grass shuffling my paws nervously.

You can do this, Moon.

It’s just a little exploring, easy peasy.

Stamping my feet in the grass to psyche myself up, I launch into motion. From the outside it appears to be like any sprawling metropolis on Earth. If I had to draw comparisons, it reminded me of New Orleans, a mix of old and new squished together. I trotted along down narrow alleyways as towering brick buildings rose up around me. The area I’d chosen to enter the city through looked to be on the poorer side of town. Bits of rubbish littered the paving stones, newspapers and fading green leaves whipping about in the wind past my ears.

Wrought iron balconies hung high above my head, white laundry hung out on makeshift lines fluttered in stark contrast against the alien sky. A four armed woman never even looked in my direction as I passed below, two arms holding up a sedate dress to dry while the other two arms fastened it with clothespins.

Staying to the shadows I weaved my way silently through the city. An abundance of white posters plastered to the bricks gave me pause.

END TIMES ARE COMING

WILL YOU BE SAVED?

The only other feature of the posters was a picture of a family on their knees, hands held upward to the sky as though pleading for their salvation. Guess even alien worlds have doomsdayers. People out on the streets in this area seemed to be few and far between. The alleyways seemed to curve in a circular direction leading me to believe that the city was set in a spiral fashion.

Swirling inward towards the center of the city, I noticed the streets became cleaner and better maintained. The rubbish collected and neatly disposed of in the waste bins. Even the buildings became more spaced apart, their neat brick faces adorned with small ornamental gardens and bubbling fountains. The chromed automobiles became more frequent, cruising slowly up and down the curving boulevards.

I stayed back out of sight, careful to remain well out of view...especially the couples that strolled arm in arm here and there. The posters prophesying apocalyptic portents seem to have disappeared from these well kept structures. Maybe it was simply some kind of fear mongering tool to keep the poor in line...probably wouldn’t hurt to give it a little further investigation. As the area became more posh and upscale, I decided it was probably time that I started to head back and meet up with Kemuri.

Turning tail I retreated back into the shadows of the alleyway, tracing my steps back. Keeping a serpentine pattern, I deviated somewhat from the direct route I’d previously taken just in case I had indeed gained anyone’s attention.

An earthy smell unlike what I’d so far encountered froze me in my tracks and I pushed myself flush to the nearest brick facade and waited, my ears pricked to attention as my seven tails swished back and forth. The smell was getting closer at a rapid rate, crouching to the ground I waited, watching the shadows of the alleyway ahead of me.

Two hooded figures the size of small children came into my view, scaled tails poking out from beneath the trailing fluttering cloth. The first tripped, falling to their knees upon the stones. A soft squeal escaping to reach my ears, I watch as the other hurries to their side and helps them back to their feet. After quiet seconds of conferring together, they continued onwards.

Hopping quickly across the deserted street I pressed my nose to the pavings, following the scent of fresh turned earth with a hint of brimstone. Peeking around the corner I watched them run towards the outskirts of town. They were headed in the opposite direction and I decided to let the matter rest. I had my own appointment to keep, and dressed as they were, it looked as though they also sought to avoid attention.

Finally reaching where we were set to meet, relief welled up inside of me when I saw Kemuri’s smoke hued fur waiting beneath the fluorescent trees for me. Abashedly, I really didn’t want to be in this place alone. Even if it was only admitted in my own mind, his presence was comforting and familiar. Checking one last time to make sure I wasn’t being followed I quickened to his side.

Grey eyes glanced back to look in my direction as his twin black tipped tails swished to and fro in greeting.

“Glad you’re safe, cuz.”

“Same. This is some place.”

His foxy laugh comes out as more of a yip.

“Of that there is no doubt...still even the outer parts of the city are somewhat well kept. I tried staying towards what I assume to be the north part, and it looks like the city is mapped in some sort of annular layout. The outer ring is all made of the same lower class.”

“I went a bit further inwards, the closer to the center you get the more upscale things become. It’s probably safe to assume that’s how it works all the way to the apex. Did you see the posters too? Sounds like they are waiting for the rapture around here…”

Copyright © 2021 Tsukihana; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..