Jump to content
    Tsukihana
  • Author
  • 2,423 Words
  • 206 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Do vaporwave kitsune count technicolor sheep? - 5. Chapter 5

Purposefully ignoring his words, I turn back to the entrance to the underground cavern. Letting my form waver, I feel my body shrinking to my smallest possible state. I don’t often make use of it because of the obvious vulnerabilities of going ‘chibi’. Now that I know what awaits me below, I think it’s definitely the smarter choice.

No longer do I have to duck down to keep my ears from grazing against the top of the tunnel. Head held high I puff out my twilight hued ruff of neck fur, daintily placing one black tipped paw in front of the other. Behind me my seven tails flare out igniting with lavender foxfire.

The cavern of dirt arches above my head now, and the flames of my tails cast eerie dancing shadows upon the walls. It’s not much further before the smell of brimstone is predominant in my senses and I know that the kobolds are waiting for me just past the turn in the tunnel in front of me.

A flash of iridescent pearl scales that were warm to the touch comes to mind.

How strange.

Why do I suddenly feel like crying?

“Amethyst One?”

Frau of the crimson scales is peering at me from around the corner, her golden slitted eyes going round and wide as she sees me in my more petite appearance. Before I can utter an answer she throws herself prostrate before me.

“Amethyst One bears many forms! Truly you are as powerful as it was foretold…”

Running to her I gently nudge her shoulder with my nose.

“First of all, you really don’t have to do the ‘throwing yourself to the ground’ thing. I promise I am a merciful goddess.”

Stepping back I wait for her to rise before continuing.

“I would like to ask you a few things, Frau”

Automatically she went to bow.

“No...no bowing. Just a friendly conversation, okay?”

Her head bobs up and down with eager agreement.

“Could you tell me the name of this planet?”

Frau’s clawed hands spread wide in an all encompassing manner, looking at the earth arching around her with utmost pride.

“This world is Asteria.”

You could have sworn that she was the crowned ruler of everything she surveyed from the awe instilled in her voice as she gave the planet’s name.

“Once kobold ruled over all to see, but we became too bold and scary. The First Moon takes our power and casts us under the dirt. Long we wait and toil, passing the tales of our glory to the younglings. The Amethyst One has come to save us just as the spirit dragon said.”

The pink tinted frill around her neck flares out in random fits of excitement as the words pour forth.

“Slow down, Frau. Breath.”

Her reptilian eyes blink at me as she heaps in short measured breaths, and eventually the leather flaps remain flat against her crimson scales.

“Good. No need to get over excited. Now next I want to ask...what is the name of the city? Anything you want to tell me?”

I mimic the motions of taking deep even breaths before she can get carried away on another tidal wave of words.

“The city of Gatsby rises into the sky. The Lost Ones do not like the city, too high it goes. Far from the den is dangerous.”

“Earlier today I saw two of your kind inside of the city.”

“Ah, yes! Liebli and Baba.”

The light dims in her eyes before she continues in a more somber even tone.

“There used to be one more of us. Laika was of the same hatching as the twin’s clutch. He would visit the city and return with stories of impending doom and we must make ready. We told him to wait for the Amethyst One as it was told, but seven days ago he went into the city and we never saw Laika after that. This day was the second time the twins have gone to search.”

“Thank you for being so candid with me, Frau.”

Reaching up with a small black tipped paw I gently stroke the top of her scaled head in a comforting manner and find she’s surprisingly warm to the touch. Once more those same pearl scales intrude on my thoughts.

“Amethyst One?”

“Hmm?”

“You were frowning again. Are you all right?”

“Yes, of course. Come, I would like to see the others if that's alright?”

Her slitted eyes brim with life and excitement once more.

“Of course, Amethyst One! Please come this way.”

Graciously bobbing up and down, she begins backing up with her arm motioning for me to go before her.

Around the corner Ein is awaiting us and upon seeing me he hurriedly begins the same bobbing motions as Frau’s earlier display.

“Welcome back, Amethyst One.”

Nodding in acknowledgement I crane my neck to look past him, noting that the other kobold are all present.

“Thank you, Ein. If now is good, there are some things that I would like to speak to everyone about.”

“Of course, Amethyst One.”

His green head held high, Ein claps his clawed hands together to get everyone's attention.

“Lady Moon, the Amethyst One whose coming was foretold will now address us.”

Communaly, their reptilian eyes turn as one to gaze upon me as I move further into the domed central space.

“No...no, please. The bowing is really not needed...nor is it necessary to call me ‘Amethyst One’ every time you speak to me.”

Hurriedly they all straighten back up, attempting to play off their various bobs and bows. Gustav, of the shining brown scales, steps forward.

“Then how should we greet you, your magnificence?”

“Certainly not like that either...simply calling me Moon is acceptable.”

“As you will, Lady Moon.”

I take a deep fortifying breath as I marshal my thoughts into some semblance of order. Who could have thought that being treated as some sort of god come to life could be such a taxing thing.

“Okay...first of all I would like to make it known that while I am still new to Asteria, it will take time to acquaint myself with your world. I have been apprised of the basics of the kobolds plight and I would entreat you to remain near the safety of the den for the time being.”

Liebli steps forward, a rust hue clawed hand held up in protest.

“Pardon, Amethyst One, but we are searching for…”

I move to stand directly before him, looking in his worried eyes as I interrupt.

“Don’t worry, Liebli. I’ve been apprised of your friend and clutch-mate and I am sympathetic to the situation. I have my own reasons for venturing into the city, and rest assured that I will be looking for Laika as well as conducting my own business. Think of it as ‘divine intervention’.”

He slouches to his knees before me in obvious relief after hearing my words. Around me I can hear the other kobolds whispering amongst themselves in draconic. Clearing my throat I turn with a swish of my many tails so that I may address them collectively.

“Lady Moon, the Amethyst One, thinks it best if all of you were to contain yourselves to the safety of the den and immediate surrounding areas. I humbly ask that everyone await my return from the city, after which we will plan how to move forward. It should be a couple of days' time, enough that I can actively infiltrate and investigate the goings on. Thank you for your cooperation.”

For a moment I feel a bit silly standing there speaking in third person like I’m some deranged war general, but I have the feeling that these are the measures required of me for their safety. Although I’ve only just met them, something fiercely protective flares to life inside me where they are concerned. A feeling I can only describe as ‘maternal’...which is odd considering I’ve never borne...children. Again that strange pang squeezes my heart as I gaze down at their little scaly faces filled with hero worship.

Baba steps forward, placing his matching clawed hands atop his twin’s shoulder before turning to meet my gaze.

“Thank you, Lady Moon. May your hunt be successful.”

With an outstretched paw I bow down before them, my seven tails stretch upwards towards the dirt ceiling. Violet fire erupts in a veritable conflagration that lights every crevice of the dome. I can’t help but grin toothily as I peer up at their looks of wonder. Huddled together before me, the odd family unit that they are, makes me crack a fanged grin. Their almost childlike wonder as they stare at my flimsy show of power warms my heart.

Just call me the great and powerful wizard of Moon.

My sharp yip of laughter at myself draws their attention back to me and I dial back on the theatrics.

I can be happy being ‘Lady Moon, the Amethyst One who was foretold in legend’.

“I’m afraid I must be going now though. There is still much preparation to be done before I venture into Gatsby.”

“A moment please, Lady Moon.”

This time it is Katia, the azure female, who speaks up so softly I almost don’t hear her. Scurrying back to a section of rudimentary bedding against the packed dirt wall, she rummages through a rough cloth sack...probably fearlessly pilfered from a laundry line. After a moment of digging her tail lifts in obvious excitement and she returns with something clutched in her small scaled hands.

“A gift...from the Lost Ones.”

Opening her hands she reveals what appears to be an opal like stone that had been roughly polished and fashioned into a pendant. Carefully she unfastens the clasp of the simple silver chain before approaching me.

“May I?”

Her voice is tremulous and her reptilian slit eyes are hesitant to fully meet my own.

“Of course! Thank you very much for the kindness.”

I sit down and curl my now quelled tails around myself. Neck bared to her, I raise my head high so that she can fasten the chain securely. Her claws furrowing through my thick fur tickles and I can feel my shoulders shaking as I try to hold in my giggles. I know perfectly well that she can feel the laughter rumbling through me and she hurries to complete her task. Backing away she finally meets my lavender gaze head on and flashes me the smallest of grins before returning to the rest.

Turning I leave them behind so that they can relax and get some rest. Do kobold things. The thick scent of smoke creeping down the tunnel tells me that Kemuri hasn’t moved from his spot and that he’s calmly waiting for my return.

“Well?”

Nudging him aside I exit out into the night air, my eyes drawn up to the blood red sky dotted with pinpricks of starlight.

“Asteria. That’s the name of the planet we’ve found ourselves on. Also the city is called Gatsby, fitting really. They didn’t have a whole lot more to tell me about it other than it’s considered a very dangerous place to their subterranean way of life. They don’t trust how it rises up so high. Apparently there’s one of them that’s missing, probably abducted. He was fond of frequenting there more than the others. Laika is the name.”

Kemuri sighs heavily, mentally filing away all this new information.

“Definitely more than we had to go on. Probably best if we find somewhere to rest, might as well take advantage of however long nights last around here.”

His eyes linger on the opalescent pendant nestled in my deep purple neck ruff.

“Isn’t it pretty? They gave it to me as a present.”

Behind me my tails wag with involuntary fervor as I tilt my head up to show it off more favorably.

“I’m sure her ladyship will make a wonderful and benevolent goddess.”

“I shall certainly give it my utmost. It is my responsibility as the one whose coming was foretold by legend.”

“Don’t you think it’s just a little bit strange that these creatures conveniently know your name and are treating you like a living god upon just meeting you? Do you think it’s wise to put stock in what they are telling you?”

“Well of course it’s strange...but is it any stranger than randomly waking up on an alien planet with a pink sky and two moons?”

“True.”

Together we set in motion in the general direction of Gatsby. Night on this world is an eerie thing, like looking through an expensive pair of binoculars that tinges the world in red. My sensitive night vision is confused by it and although I can for the most part see my surroundings, the world is bathed in an odd glow like a negative of a photo.

“I don’t know what exactly compelled me to go along with it or offer to lend them my aid for that matter. It just felt right...intuition I guess.”

“I suppose the pretty necklace didn’t hurt your decision either.”

“In my defense, they gifted it to me after I so kindly deigned to assist them. I have my own questions that beggar answers, so if I’m going into the city anyway it’s not like it would hurt to investigate the missing kobold.”

Beneath the softly glowing branches of a statuesque fluorescent tree, we curl up in each other’s warmth. Instead of being off putting, I am comforted by the acrid smell of smoke. It reminds me of the incense burning in the censers back home in the Inari shrine. In the dark quiet hours of the night, the sound of my stomach growling cuts through the silence. Pushing the knowledge that I’d yet to eat since being here to the back of my mind, I nestle closer to Kemuri just like when he was a kit.

“Sorry, Moon, I know it's been a hell of a day but I think I have a plan. Saw an interesting sign among all the doomsday mess today. Don’t worry, I’ll take care of us.”

Nodding, I close my eyes and do my best to let sleep overtake me. My mind is overflowing with the myriad events of the day, playing over and over again. The last thoughts to enter my mind as I let go of consciousness is that there’s no way I could possibly sleep after so much excitement…

Copyright © 2021 Tsukihana; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..