Jump to content

Promises to Keep

   (9 reviews)

A boy heads into the woods and makes a lifelong promise

Copyright © 2022 W_L; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (10 members)

  • Action Packed 2
  • Addictive/Pacing 6
  • Characters 9
  • Chills 5
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 9
  • Feel-Good 3
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 1
  • Tearjerker 8
  • Unique 9
  • World Building 8

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

raven1

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

For much of my life, I have spent a lot of time hiking and camping.  I do so because of all the beauty and serenity I find in nature.  This allegorical tale highlights the folly of humans who amass fortunes by indifferently throwing away the greatest treasure given us, our beautiful world filled with the diversity of life and love.  

Response from the author:

Thanks @raven1, I agree I do enjoy hiking and the amazing peace that you can find in nature. Sometimes I think we get too bogged down by desires, instant gratification, and other human interests that we forget that there's a world out there. It existed before humanity and hopefully will survive after us.

  • Like 2
Link to review
lomax61

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Lovely story. An easy read but packs an emotional punch. Thoroughly recommended.

Response from the author:

Thanks @lomax61 for reading and reviewing :) 

  • Like 3
Link to review
AC Benus

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

An allegorical tale well worth checking out. We meet a young man who's trying to escape the labels that are messing with his mind by heading out to the woods. Who he meets out there has something to say in favor of judging yourself with love first and foremost. 

Be sure to read this unusual tale!

Response from the author:

Thank you @AC Benusfor the lovely review and recommendation

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to review
Headstall

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Fellow readers, check this out. It's a wonderful if sad story, with some social commentary thrown in. Wouldn't we all like to escape to a world of magic when the realities of being different weighs us down? W_L does a great job of making us think, dream, and reflect on what is important in life. Cheers!

Response from the author:

Thanks @Headstall, there are many wonderful things in the world, but human beings sometimes neglect our surroundings in favor of something flashier and more profitable.

You are correct, I did inject a bit of "magical realism" into the story, often magical realism is used to blur the lines between reality and fantasy to highlight a certain point or critique a certain truth.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
chris191070

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

A unique and beautifully crafted tale.

This is a story that will draw you in, but surprise you with the ending.

This is quite a heartbreaking story.

 

Response from the author:

Thanks @chris191070, it's sad to have loved and lost, but it would be sadder still to never have loved at all :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
drsawzall

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Not much I can add to the reviews below, can only say it is a well crafted tale that will give one much food for thought about our world!

Response from the author:

Thanks @drsawzall, I am glad you enjoyed it

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to review
Mrsgnomie

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

MC goes camping for the summer and meets a boy who impacts his life forever. Young love is a beautiful and innocent thing. This is a twist of the shifter stories we know and love. What would shifter life look like in modern times when our lands are being carelessly cleaned out for a few bucks? That impact goes far and wide. Quite heartbreaking.

Response from the author:

Thanks @Mrsgnomie, I thought it would be a nice way to highlight the anniversary anthology with a summer outing. Sometimes it's a good thing to remind folks about why the outdoors are important and what nature used to be before development and human civilization grew.

  • Like 3
  • Love 3
Link to review
Mancunian

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

A unique and beautifully told story. The main character learns of acceptance, not just of those around him but most importantly of himself. The ending is sad but fits in with the story and how society behaves, it is a natural and fitting way to end the story. If your reading this then read the story you will enjoy it as I did.

Response from the author:

Thanks @Mancunian, the main character was trying to find peace and belonging. In a way, this place by the freshwater pond was his "home", because he found himself, and someone special, there. I can imagine a lot of gay/bi boys from the past had similar experiences, hopefully without the tragic ending, but once upon a time, the woods were where people could be free.

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to review
astone2292

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

I'm almost speechless. My fingers want to move and type, but my brain can't formulate how amazing this piece was. Your inspiration for this story was spot-on. 

This was a great story to read as I get ready for bed. The peaceful tranquility of the campsite, the connection between the reader and the main character... It's so powerful. It subtly hypnotizes you, making you smile throughout the whole way. 

The ending was unexpected, yet satisfyingly unsatisfying... If that makes any sense. Bravo, W_L!

Response from the author:

Thanks @astone2292, I am glad I got such a response from you. 

It's been a while since I have gone camping or hiking with COVID and work/life getting in the way. However, there's a serene quality to being out in the woods that is hard to find anywhere else. It's better to be out there with someone special, too.

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..