Jump to content

Ash and Ember

   (16 reviews)
Genres: Romance, Paranormal

Grant is a man new to his work and to the East Coast of the United States. He has been given every opportunity and chance, and has capitalized on that as he starts his new life. Troy has lost almost everything, and his life over the last sixteen months has been nothing but a struggle.

A burned journal sends them on a collision course.

This is their story.

Author's Note: The story will update twice a week on Thursdays and Sundays

Copyright © 2020 Wayne Gray; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (58 members)

  • Action Packed 10
  • Addictive/Pacing 40
  • Characters 54
  • Chills 7
  • Cliffhanger 8
  • Compelling 15
  • Feel-Good 12
  • Humor 6
  • Smoldering 28
  • Tearjerker 42
  • Unique 27
  • World Building 12

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cane23

   2 of 3 members found this review helpful 2 / 3 members

Travis’s life has become a nightmare. His partner has died, he lost his house and job. Living in his truck, Travis survives looking for any job he can find. On the other hand, Grant is new resident in Travis’s old house. Looking around he finds almost burnt journal that uncovers once happy life of once happy couple. Journal leads him to Travis and they start, first business relationship whish evolves in romance. Rebuilding his life, with new man in his old house, Travis Influence Grant to overcome his own issues and reconcile with the family.

This is beautiful story which give us faith in second chances.

  • Love 3
Link to review
weinerdog

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

At the time I'm writing this there have been 14 other reviews and from what I can tell there is nothing about the story they missed they covered everything that is great about this story.

So instead I will tell you what this story made me do. For about 2-3 years my top 5 stories on GA haven't wavered and showed no signs of doing so.(My top 30 maybe even more are stories worthy of being is someone's Top 5 that just shows how deep GA library goes) Any way this story has knocked another incredible story by an incredible author out of my top 5. I won't rank or mention the others but what I will say is the difference between the number 1 story to the number 5 story is less than a tenth of a percent. If you don't think much of my opinion just look at the reviews on comments of other readers and you'll know I am not overstating this.A must, must read

  • Love 5
Link to review
raven1

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Ash and Ember is a wonderful story filled with love, hope and friendship.  The characters are unique, but filled with love and loyalty.  The story has all the elements of a great romance and far exceeded my expectations even after all the great reviews I read before starting to read the story.  I enjoyed the humor, erotic scenes and the realism of the plot and dialogue.  Everything blended to make this one of the best romance stories I have read on GA.  

  • Love 4
Link to review
G90814

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Love this story. Just enough drama, tear jerking, and happy times to make for a very enjoyable read.

I stayed up way past my bedtime to keep reading! I had read it before on Nifty, but the re-read here was great, as my memory of many details was vague. Now on to Camp Refuge, I think I've read the first one before, but I have a definite habit of re-reading stories/books I love.

Response from the author:

Thanks for reading and for the nice review! I'm happy that you found something to enjoy in the story, and I sincerely appreciate the time you spent reviewing.

  • Like 2
  • Love 5
Link to review
wenmale64

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

This story follows two main characters as they move through a pivotal time in their lives. We learn of past sorrow, current discovery, and future times in the lives of all the characters. This is an amazing ride through real life with many snapshots of interesting times for all. I will stop here before I give anything away, but I urge anyone reading this to board the train and prepare for an amazing adventure through life presented in 29 captivating chapters!!!!!!!!!!

Response from the author:

I know it's hard to do a review that doesn't give things away, and it's hard to reply to them in the same manner! But I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to read, rate, and review the story. I sincerely appreciate that. I'm so happy you found the story engaging.

Thank you again.

  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Link to review
Summerabbacat

· Edited by Summerabbacat

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

I read this story on another gay site several years ago (before I was aware of GA) after having read 'Wayne's Journal' on the same site.

This is one of the most moving and uplifting gay-themed stories I have ever read (and I have read a hell of a lot of them). The characters are beautifully drawn by the author; his deft hand brings them alive in print, so much so that you cannot fail to experience and visualise them both physically and emotionally. 

I don't recall too many other stories of this genre, or in fact any genre, that I have read which have had me weeping tears of joy and sadness with such abandon and frequency. Reading this story was strangely cathartic; the beauty of Grant and Troy and their growing love an enriching experience for any reader.

I have also read the author's 'Camp Refuge' series which continues to provide entertainment and challenges the reader, but for me nothing he has written surpasses the treasured memories of joy and heartache from this literary journey.

 

Response from the author:

Thanks for the great review of Ash and Ember!

Everything isn't easy. People have hard times both with external and internal problems. If we're lucky, those around us help us along our path as we find our way. If we're even luckier, we find someone else with whom we can share our path.

I'm glad this story inspired emotion in you. I love writing emotional scenes and characters. We're all emotional, so all of us relate to these moments, all of us can feel what the characters do. So as the story goes, and as Grant and Troy become closer, we feel that closeness too. That's really what I was after in this telling.

The sentiment you expressed concerning Ash and Ember being the best story I've written is shared by a few folks. And ... I'll admit, even I think it'd be really cool to have it in print form, reading in front of a fire on a chilly night. Maybe that'll happen at some point.

Thanks again for the nice review. 🙂

  • Love 5
Link to review
Jack Renny

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

Outstanding! Read it, then read it again! Wayne has skilfully crafted a tender tale of two bruised souls intertwined by fate and cruel misfortune. A chance for a change of fortunes presents itself in the unlikely forms of the charred remains of a journal and a broken boiler. Our protagonists learn, little by little, how challenging pasts can be built on and moved forward from. Fall in love with the two main characters and enjoy how their strengths and weaknesses are tested. This story will make you cry, and occasionally laugh but above all will make you feel all the better for reading it. So what are you waiting for? Get reading!

Response from the author:

Thanks for the great review!

This is one of my favorite dynamics I’ve created in a story - both with the protagonists and the journal.

I’m so happy you enjoyed it. Thanks again.

Wayne

  • Love 8
Link to review
tesao

· Edited by tesao

   10 of 10 members found this review helpful 10 / 10 members

A beautiful, compelling, emotionally resonant love story that may be this author’s best work.  It’s a story of both devastating loss and a second chance at real happiness, with subplots that are every bit as engaging as the main story. You don’t want to miss this.

Response from the author:

Thank you for the great review!

I love this story and how it turned out. I’m so very happy to find that others love it too.

Thank you again!

  • Like 2
  • Love 8
Link to review
Hawgdad

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

An incredible story of love and friendship.  Highly recommended!!

Response from the author:

Thanks, Tom!

I’m thankful readers enjoyed the work. That means a lot to me. 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Love 8
Link to review
Sussins

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

This story let’s you believe in love it also teaches you patience and how to react in situations when you are in a relationship and if you want to keep that relationship it also let’s you know that there is always some one who loves you no matter what love looks beyond the outside love is beautiful thanks

Response from the author:

Thanks for taking the time to review the story!

I've said it before, but yes ... this tale really is a love story. It may have gone about it a little differently, but it's a love story.

And who doesn't like to watch people fall in love? 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Love 9
Link to review
Jaybee0323

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

If you have not read any of Wayne's other stories.... why not??  Wayne's characters are real.  You get to know them.  You laugh when they do and cry when they do.  That is the mark of a true story teller.  Can hardly wait for your next story, Wayne.

Response from the author:

Thanks for the review!

I try to write realism into my work. I get inside my characters, walk around, laugh and cry with them. I want them to feel and be real to the reader. That's always the goal.

I'm really glad you enjoyed the story. Thank you, again.

  • Like 2
  • Love 10
Link to review
Mikiesboy

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

In Ash and Ember you meet a variety of interesting characters, including one from a character's past. That character adds to the story. He brings a calming voice, and Troy needs that as he learns more about Grant and the house.

This is a love story. Love that comes from all the people in Grant's and Troy's lives. You will not be disappointed if you choose to read this. Not at all.

Response from the author:

Thanks, tim.

There are a few components to this story, and all leaned on the others to make it work. Ultimately, no matter what else, you're right in that it is a love story. Those have been done and done and done, of course, and this is my spin on one. I'm happy you found it worth reading and reviewing.

Thanks again.

  • Like 3
  • Love 10
Link to review
Former Member

· Edited by droughtquake

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

This is a very well-crafted, slow-burning tale about Grant, a Physician’s Assistant who moves from the beautiful Wine Country in California to arctic Barre, New Hampshire to start his first job. Grant buys a fully-furnished house that needs some minor work. There is no central heating, so he needs to start a fire in the fireplace. As he prepares the wood, he discovers a Journal that’s been scorched, hidden under the ashes…

Troy is a handyman living in his van as he struggles to survive. He has lost contact with all his friends. He is approaching the end of his endurance…
 

Wayne Gray has polished this story before he posted it here on GA. His skills have increased over the time I have read his stories. (Thank you @Thorn Wilde for your work editing as well.) This is a story you won’t want to miss.

Response from the author:

Thanks, droughtquake.

This is definitely a slow burner of a tale. But those can be a lot of fun to write and to read as well. I'm happy this one turned out to be one of those you enjoyed.

And honestly, the improvement you see is thanks to Thorn's patient and careful eye on the work. He's a good editor, and a great tutor too. 🙂

See you back at the campground, hopefully.

  • Love 2
Link to review
kbois

   11 of 11 members found this review helpful 11 / 11 members

Wayne has proven himself to be a well-rounded author. Ash and Ember is a very engaging story of love lost, rock bottom despair, hope, friendship, redemption and love found.

It's easy to become invested in the characters and get immersed in the story. 

All of Wayne Gray's  stories are worth reading!

Response from the author:

Thanks for the great words, kbois.

I really appreciate the time you spent reading, rating and commenting on the chapters. And thanks for reviewing the story as well!

I'm happy it grabbed ya. There's more to come from me down the line. I hope to see you there too.

  • Like 3
  • Love 10
Link to review
Scotrik1

   10 of 10 members found this review helpful 10 / 10 members

I love all your stories, but this one I think is the one with the most emotional depth for me personally. Happiness to wish for in all our lives. Thank you for sharing it with us. As long as you are writing, I'll be reading, even if I don't comment much! 

New readers of Wayne's work-look up all his stories! All well worth the time to read! 

Scottie

Response from the author:

Thanks for the review!

Yeah, I think you nailed it. This story, ultimately is about finding happiness. Sometimes it isn't where we expected, but if we're open then it can happen.

Thanks again. I'm so happy you enjoyed the story.

  • Like 3
  • Love 9
Link to review
chris191070

· Edited by chris191070

   14 of 14 members found this review helpful 14 / 14 members

This is the fantastic story of Grant a newly qualified Physician assistant who moves to Barre and Troy, who already lives in Barre.

We follow are two guys as we discover that Troy has lost almost everything and his life for the last sixteen months has been a constant struggle. Then there is Grant who is newly qualified, living in a new house in a town, where he knows no one.

We follow the story as our guy's paths cross, we learn more about them and how they become what they are. As with all Wayne's stories there are some very moving scenes during the story involving Troy and Grant. We eventually get to meet a great bunch of characters.

A truly wonderful story from that I highly recommend as a fantastic read.

Response from the author:

Thanks for the great review, chris.

I'm super happy that you enjoyed the story enough to follow it, comment, and review.

Thanks again.

  • Like 2
  • Love 9
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..